The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2005, 01:32 PM   #161
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
While nothing has changed to allay my suspicions of the phantom, I feel the need to make a list much like everyone else is doing these days.

mormegil- I think mormegil is the seer. I say this because of what I've already said... he's the only one to put forth that he thinks I'm innocent. That's a danger to him, but if he knows that I'm innocent, he would try to keep me alive any how.

the phantom- either, like me, an outspoken villiager, or a werewolf that's playing mind games with us all. The latter is more to my perception of him, but really, this whole game, to me, is trying to figure out who The B-W would choose to mess with us all. Either Wighty chose the phantom because of his skills at messing with us, or he didn't choose him, for the same reason.

Primrose Bolger- suspicious only because of my lack of suspicion. How did she manage to escape my attention?

Firefoot- I'm not particularly suspicious of her. I don't think she's guilty, but I'm not sure. She has valid disagreements, and I have no reason to claim she lies.

Oddwen- the only proof against her is shady at best. She's done nothing to draw my attention, and really, I'm more likely to think her innocent than not.

Feanor of the Peredhil- Grr. Haha. Just joking. Quite obviously I'm not going to say I'm a werewolf. I understand why you all suspect me, but I do wish you would take what I say at face value. But then again, I could just be screwing with you. You never know. Which makes this so much fun. But think of what you know of me: if I was a werewolf, I'd be trying much harder to make you suspect me, just because then you would start thinking things like "Wait... no werewolf in her right mind would actually try to die" and so think me innocent and just stupid. Anyhow, I'm innocent, and that's that. No worries.

bilbo_baggins- I'm vaguely suspicious. Not so much as with the phantom, but certainly enough. I'm not even sure why. Gut instinct, really. And if you'll remember, at first I defended bilbo. My evidence was shaky, but I'm not sure if I've seen anything to really convince me one way or another.

Kuruharan- maybe a werewolf. I'm pretty suspicious, but not definitively.

Mithalwen- She's so darned logical. It's messing with my head. I think she might be another werewolf, but I'm not sure of it.

Do with my musings what you desire, but my vote remains for the phantom.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:44 PM   #162
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil
In careful review of what Fea has said up to this point my dubiety has been minimized. I have come to this conclusion because I can sense that she is very distraught at this and was emotionally moved to be so outspoken. My suspicions are turned elsewhere.
Feanor, I never said I thought you to be innocent. I did say that I didn't view you as suspicious. I currently feel that we have a much stronger case, based on the evidence I presented, against Firefoot than we do on you. It is interesting to me though that in your list the only one, besides yourself, that you don't have any suspicions of is Firefoot. Look at the evidence more meticulously and you may see the reason for my suspicion.

Last edited by mormegil; 05-15-2005 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Minor punctuation
mormegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 01:55 PM   #163
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Currently my heart pities poor Feanor and her pleas seem to be that of an innocent. Seem mind you, I'm not certain, but unless I get a good alibi from Firefoot my heart directs me to her being the werewolf among us.
Okay, sorry. Not "innocent", but seemingly innocent.

And I've been meticulously reviewing yours and Firefoot's heated arguements, and I felt them to be pretty innocent on both sides. You accuse each other, but only because the idea is that if s/he's accusing me, s/he must be guilty and trying to hide it.

And really, mormegil, do you want me to think you're a werewolf?
Old 05-15-2005, 01:57 PM   #164
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil

Mithalwen- She's so darned logical. It's messing with my head. I think she might be another werewolf, but I'm not sure of it.

If I were a werewolf, it is unlikely I would have highlighted evidence against Anguirel and voted promptly. If you look at my early posts I also stated that I was unsure of the Saucepan man. If I were a werewolf I would have known him to be innocent and so could easily have fanned the flames.

I am in great confusion still, and like Fea, the issue of the seer is in my mind. Whoever it is knows for sure either someon is innocent or someone is guilty. I had wondered if Fea was the seer but her wrongful accusation of the Panman disproves this. I will review again but my heart is heavy - I fear that I will be in Mandos' keeping before dawn. Logic tends to get you slain...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 02:00 PM   #165
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Valid points, Mith. You appease me.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:12 PM   #166
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I, like Mith, wish for the seer's guidance. Unfortunately, the seer would be killed for giving his/her identity away, so I am afraid we will have to do without.

Mormegil has sort of been ignoring the whole Fea thing and has gone after Firefoot with guns blazing. Does this mean Morm=seer, Firefoot=werewolf, Fea=innocent? Or does it mean Morm=werewolf, Firefoot=innocent, Fea=(?)?

I don't know. That's why this game is difficult.

But it is time to decide.

A vote for me, eh Fea? There are three explanations for this.

1) You are the seer, I am the werewolf, and you know I am guilty.
2) You are a werewolf trying to kill an innocent.
3) You are a villager trying to kill a werewolf.

Option #3 would require you to be very illogical in your thinking. In this post I made my case quite clearly. The phantom=werewolf fea=innocent does not make sense. My logic is irrefutable. If you are indeed an innocent villager thinking that I am a werewolf, it appears I gave you credit for having more brains than you actually have (you're still pretty, of course ).

Option #1 is not true. There is no way you know I am a werewolf. Why? Because I'm not one. The seer is still out there, and so they also know that option #1 is not true because there is only one seer.

Option #2 is the most believable.

I'm sorry Fea. I would love to keep you in the game, but I have no choice but to vote ++ Feanor of the Peredhil. You were already under suspicion, and now your dedication to lynching me despite all logical reason has forced me to stick with the "today Anguirel, tomorrow Fea" plan.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:17 PM   #167
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Oh come on, if you want sheer, untainted logic, look at your own words:

Quote:
1) You are the seer, I am the werewolf, and you know I am guilty.
2) You are a werewolf trying to kill an innocent.
3) You are villager trying to kill a werewolf.
By your own admission, I have a 2/3 chance of being right. That puts you at 1/3. In any other situation, who's more likely to be believed?

Oh, and phantom... Just so you know, if you get me killed and it turns out I'm innocent, which I am, I hope you die next.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:20 PM   #168
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Phantom, I am not ignoring the Fea arguement I merely think that the evidence more fully implicates Firefoot. I still have suspicion on Feanor and it is growing with each post, however I feel much more strongly that Firefoot is the one we need to hang. I will not say please reconsider your vote because if Fea is hung and she is a wolf it will implicate me. But, as I have said I do have suspicion on her but not as much as I do to Firefoot.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:25 PM   #169
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

Quote:
In any other situation, who's more likely to be believed?
But this is not "any other situation". We're talking about me, here, and I am always to be believed no matter what the odds are. If the entire world out-voted me 6 billion to 1, I would still bet that I was right.
Quote:
Just so you know, if you get me killed and it turns out I'm innocent, which I am, I hope you die next.
How could you say that?? Our poor children- why... they'd be without both of their parents in a village overrun with werewolves. Only a wolf could be so heartless.

Actually, if you turn out to be innocent, then I could very well be the next to go, unless the seer dreams about me tonight (or already did) and defends me well.

And Morm, thanks for the clarification.

Last edited by the phantom; 05-15-2005 at 02:28 PM.
the phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 02:31 PM   #170
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
How could you say that?? Our poor children- why... they'd be without both of their parents in a village overrun with werewolves. Only a wolf could be so heartless.
Come off it. If you are right, and I am a werewolf, it would be your own fault for marrying me in the first place. If you are wrong, which you are, this is pure and simple retribution.

But, I'm going to try one last (actually, it probably won't be last) heart-felt plea.

Listen to me: I was wrong about The Saucepan Man, and I could very well be wrong about the phantom. But I'm not wrong about myself. It's only common sense that the werewolves would frame me. If you kill me, it's less work for them. They'll have tonight to go and kill another innocent. They already know I'm not a seer, since I screwed up so badly with Saucie. They'll let you kill me and try their luck on someone else.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:34 PM   #171
mormegil
Maundering Mage

The seer defense doesn't work so well. If you are the seer you would only dream of one person. Therefore if you didn't choose SpM to dream about you wouldn't know of his guilt or innocence.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:37 PM   #172
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Wow, morm, you're right. But my reasoning still works. The werewolves are going to let you guys kill me and then kill someone else besides, that way they get two free shots to try and get rid of the seer. At the very least, two innocents will die if you let it happen.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:38 PM   #173
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I am torn but I must decide, I have my doubts about Primrose, a little unease about Kuruhuran's reticence but my choice is between Feanor and Firefoot. Yesterday I was convinced that I would vote for Fea if Anguirel was guilty and i survived the night, but now I am uncertain. I do have to take into consideration that Fea might be innocent ... I am not convinced but I am giving her the benefit of the doubt and voting ++FIREFOOT

Old 05-15-2005, 02:41 PM   #174
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

As it is, the votes stand thus:

Firefoot: 2
the phantom: 1
FotP: 2

I recommend you stop voting for me. I'm going to die, and then you're going to feel bad for calling me a liar.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:49 PM   #175
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Actually, a tie between Fea and Firefoot wouldn't be a bad thing. It would give us time to think more about what Morm has been saying about Firefoot, and reconsider Fea's pleas.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:53 PM   #176
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
It would give us time to think more about what Morm has been saying about Firefoot, and reconsider Fea's pleas.
Hark? Do I hear the dulcet tones of the phantom's mind racing? Could he be... broadening his horizens? Learning new things? I'm still not so sure of Firefoot's guilt, but if the majority thinks her a werewolf, I may have to jump onto the bandwagon. After all, I've been wrong before.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:53 PM   #177
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Question

Oh crap! Our two luminaries are disagreeing.

I'm...actually...rather confused.

I don't suppose it would be too much trouble to ask everyone to restate their cases in a nice clean manner?

We still have an hour left, at least, I think we still have an hour left its only about 4:00 where I live. I think we have 'till 5:00 my time (Central US).
Old 05-15-2005, 02:59 PM   #178
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Sure thing, Kuru.

They think I'm guilty for the same reasons as yesterday. Mostly because I talk too much, and because every time I said something, Anguirel agreed with me, making it look like we were playing off each other. I assure you, we weren't.

I think the phantom bears watching because of a few loose ends: he's really smart, but is overlooking important things that should be obvious. Also, the werewolves killed the Saucepan Man exactly the way that he mentioned. I remarked that it was possible that the phantom's seemingly harmless comment about killing Saucie could have been a covert way of talking to his fellow werewolves.

I really have no idea why they want Firefoot to die. Somebody else would be happy to inform you, I'm sure.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:00 PM   #179
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

You are so needy, Kuru!

I picked Fea because-

1) She seemed linked to Anguirel, a known werewolf, on day one. She backed up his accusations, he backed up hers, and she put herself at risk to deflate an argument of mine that took blame off of her onto Anguirel.
2) She is accusing me of being a werewolf, which not only defies reason, but is something I know to be false.

I've gone back and read Morm's attacks and I suppose I would be willing to give Firefoot a try.

Of course, if it turns out to be wrong, I'm going after Fea (or perhaps Morm).
Old 05-15-2005, 03:05 PM   #180
mormegil
Maundering Mage

I have made a rather long case and would ask that you reread my posts. I will, however, summarize my findings. There is some suspicion of Feanor, which I uphold but that phantom is spearheading. There has been this suspicion since the first day but doesn't seem to be founded on much evidence albeit there is some and she appears to be somebody to watch.

I have attempted to lay out an organized and imformative case against Firefoot. She was supported by Ang and it was done in a more subtle way. Mind you the Feanor was also supported by not as subtly. Firefoot jumped on the guilty bandwagon when there was little hope of Ang being saved. I aver that this was in an attempt to give herself a defense. Yet she never said she suspected anybody. Firefoot has been playing it cool and yet not keeping herself out of the posting activity. In her posts she has avoided giving offense or standing out? Why? Because she doesn't want the spot light to be on her.

Please review our suspects and vote accordingly.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:06 PM   #181
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
1) She seemed linked to Anguirel, a known werewolf, on day one. She backed up his accusations, he backed up hers, and she put herself at risk to deflate an argument of mine that took blame off of her onto Anguirel.
Like you said, "seemed". I really wasn't, it just looked that way. As for deflation... I thought I was simply pointing out scientific fact about wolves being pack-oriented. I thought everyone knew that.

Quote:
2) She is accusing me of being a werewolf, which not only defies reason, but is something I know to be false.
I'm suspicious by nature, my friend. I don't know it to be false, but I do know that you're doing the same to me. I'm innocent, but you're insisting I'm not. Hence my wanting you to die a gruesome death as revenge.

Quote:
I've gone back and read Morm's attacks and I suppose I would be willing to give Firefoot a try.
So does that mean you're changing your vote?

I must say, with all these people thinking that Firefoot is the guilty one, I think I might be missing something. Since the phantom is as adament of his innocence as I am of mine, I think I must, for now, admit that I may be wrong about --the phantom and that everyone else is right, and ++Firefoot is a werewolf.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:11 PM   #182
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
You are so needy, Kuru!
Your point?

Quote:
but is overlooking important things that should be obvious
Like what? This is exactly my point! Everyone has been throwing around accusations, choosing their victims seemingly at random, using only dark hints and spurrious mutterings to support their cases (when they've deigned to explain themselves at all), moving off to accuse anybody who questions them, and whining about their own innocence at the top of their voices.

I quite frankly had expected a little more from Mithalwen. Instead, I get a *swoop* "Firefoot's guilty!!" *flash* *BANG* ...gone. That is not much to build a case on, as our dearly departed Saucepan Man could tell us.

EDIT: And another thing: Where's Oddwen and bilbo_baggins gone off to?
Old 05-15-2005, 03:23 PM   #183
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
Mind you the Feanor was also supported by not as subtly.
Yes, Ang was certainly not hiding his support of Fea. Usually when playing this game, I would not see that as a true link. It is a smart idea for wolves to bind themselves to innocents. But because this was a brand new game here on the Downs, I figured the wolves wouldn't act too clever the first game, but that they would act ridiculously obvious until everyone got settled into the game and its nuances.

Perhaps that assumption was incorrect. Maybe Anguirel or one of the other wolves was already an experienced "Mafia" player and instructed the pack to associate closely with innocents.

Good points, Morm.
Quote:
Everyone has been throwing around accusations, choosing their victims seemingly at random, using only dark hints and spurrious mutterings to support their cases (when they've deigned to explain themselves at all), moving off to accuse anybody who questions them, and whining about their own innocence at the top of their voices.
You had better not be hinting at me!
Quote:
Instead, I get a *swoop* "Firefoot's guilty!!" *flash* *BANG* ...gone.
Well, I might know why Mith did that.

The two most convincing guilt arguments have been me accusing Fea and Morm accusing Firefoot. Mith even stated that Fea and Ff were her two choices. And so, she has allowed her friendship with Fea to break the tie and vote for Firefoot.

That might end up happening with me, too.

But yes- where are Oddwen and Bilbo?
Old 05-15-2005, 03:27 PM   #184
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

I just realized how late it was. I have someplace to be.

In the interest of moving the game along, I'll buy Morm's argument and change my vote from - - Feanor of the Peredhil to + + Firefoot.

If you are innocent, Firefoot- sorry.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:27 PM   #185
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Kuru, here's my first post outlining my doubts of the phantom.
This is my second one.

Regardless of the fact that I've changed my vote in light of the fact that I could be wrong, I do still think that the phantom bears watching.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:30 PM   #186
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Unless I've miscounted, the votes currently stand thus:

Firefoot: 4

FotP: 1

As I myself also have somewhere to be, I must depart. I hope you'll take my words of wisdom to heart.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:33 PM   #187
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots I have a bad feeling about this...

Well, at this point, there is no virtue in holding off the inevitable.

I'm not convinced...but, hey, there's always next game for people who are hung mistakenly.

++ FIREFOOT
Old 05-15-2005, 04:17 PM   #188
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Well, doesn't this make me sad. I've been gone for a few hours (out of necessity) only to come back to find out I've been convicted. *Sigh* It was nice knowing you all... well, most of you all... *coughcoughmormegilcoughcough*

Last edited by Firefoot; 05-15-2005 at 04:33 PM.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 04:22 PM   #189
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting Another one (what?) bites the dust.

With the damning vote cast, the villagers immediately tried to bind Firefoot, but she suddenly ducked beneath their grasping hands and ran screaming toward the forest. “I’m innocent! I’m innocent!” she cried, stumbling in her panic over a fallen log. The frightened group pounced on her sprawled figure and dragged her toward the scaffold. Her eyes bulged in terror as the bag came down over her head.

“This isn’t fair,” she said quietly, slumping to the floor.

The hangman knelt down to pull her to her feet, but Firefoot struck out with sudden tremendous force that sent him flying. The sack ripped from her head to reveal a horrible sight. Her face writhed in agonizing contortions, and her mouth opened wide, extending like the dark mouth of bottomless cave. A fearsome howl erupted from her small body, and she cast a hungry glare on her accusers. Great globs of bloody spittle flew as she screamed curses.

“I knew it!” shouted a villagers, and everyone joined in one massive leap to capture the beast before it broke its bonds. Someone shoved a long knife into her trembling body, and another slammed a great stone against her head. Yet still she fought on.

At last, the mass of people held her fast as she kicked and screamed, but Firefoot could not escape her intended victims. She had waited too long to shapeshift, and they had caught her before she had come to her full werewolf power. The noose went around her neck, and she was pushed through the trap. Together, the mob beat Firefoot with clubs and tools until her shattered body moved no more.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Living
  • mormegil
  • the phantom
  • Primrose Bolger
  • Oddwen
  • Feanor of the Peredhil
  • bilbo_baggins
  • Kuruharan
  • Mithalwen

Dead
  • Shelob (Villager) - mangled by werewolves during Night 1
  • Anguirel (Werewolf) - hanged on Day 1
  • The Saucepan Man (Villager) – shredded and simmered by werewolves during Night 2
  • Firefoot (Werewolf) - Hanged by Day 2

Score
Werewolves: 1
Villagers: 7

Wow! The villagers are doing well, though at least one more will be dead by morning. It is now NIGHT. The one remaining werewolf is going to kill a villager, and the seer is still dreaming.

DAY starts at 6AM.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:38 AM   #190
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'm dreaming of a red Christmas

The crooked shack at the far corner of the township belonged to the most mysterious citizen of the village. He was relatively new to town, and little was known about him, except for his outlandish behavior. Without warning, he would sometimes walk up to a person on the street and reveal a secret about them that only they could know. This shocked and frightened his neighbors, and they usually ignored him, often crossing the street or ducking into a building to avoid his indiscreet announcements.

Everyone had continued to ostracize him, until they began to think his power was stronger than they had imagined, and more useful. He had clamored against Firefoot the previous day, insisting that she was one of the beasts, and he had been right. When everyone had been confused by the twisted arguments of the monsters, he had been the strong voice of truth. It was now clear he was a seer.

Before the dawn, mormegil was also dead.

Though they had set extra guards and tried desperately to stay awake, someone had slipped in their duties, and the wolf among them had slipped past their defenses once again. This time the beast had been less tidy.

Every door and window of mormegil’s house hung open at a wild angle, as if a zephyr had taken residence within. Pieces of furniture, clothing, and other household items were strewn about in a wide circle around the house, all splattered with chunks and smears of cold, dark blood. There was no need to enter the seer’s residence, because his shredded body lay amongst the debris of his life: a hand by the split and broken table top, part of a leg tangled in a tattered flower-patterned curtain, his leering head rocking in a dented chamber pot.

A very angry werewolf was still alive in the village, and mormegil would be not be making any more predictions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Living
  • the phantom
  • Primrose Bolger
  • Oddwen
  • Feanor of the Peredhil
  • bilbo_baggins
  • Kuruharan
  • Mithalwen

Dead
  • Shelob (Villager) - mangled by werewolves during Night 1
  • Anguirel (Werewolf) - hanged on Day 1
  • The Saucepan Man (Villager) – shredded and simmered by werewolves during Night 2
  • Firefoot (Werewolf) - Hanged by Day 2
  • mormegil (The Seer) - shredded horrificallyby a werewolf on Night 3

Score
Werewolves: 1
Villagers: 6

Eek! That was messy. I think the last werewold is mad and desperate. Be careful!

It is now DAY. You all have until 6AM tomorrow morning to decide who to lynch. All discussions must be public.

** EDIT: If you girls wouldn't always be going by masculine nicks, I wouldn't be mistaking mormegil as one of you!

Last edited by The Barrow-Wight; 05-16-2005 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Gender correcting surgery
The Barrow-Wight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 08:41 AM   #191
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Due to circumstances that I haven't actually got time to outline, I think that the phantom is innocent. Sorry 'bout before, ol' chap. We'll have to discuss this something fierce once everybody who counts is officially dead and the game finishes. I also believe that Mithalwen is innocent, and had I been wrong about mormegil being the seer (which, my ego is boosted to say, I was not), I would have thought her to be. She accurately pointed out the first two werewolves, before their fates were anywhere near to being sealed. She also had doubts about The Saucepan Man. No werewolf would try to stop an innocent from being killed without ulterior motives.

I'm terribly glad to see you all decided not to lynch me. Look, you even got another werewolf. Let's not break the winning streak.

For your convenience, here's a list of who I think is innocent at the moment (which is likely to change throughout the day): Mithalwen, the phantom, and, obviously, myself.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:54 AM   #192
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

*sigh*

I had a feeling they'd kill Morm.

I was willing to change my vote from Fea to Firefoot because, after going back and reviewing the thread, I came to believe that Morm was the seer. Unfortunately, he is no longer with us. The remaining werewolf probably guessed who he was and eliminated the threat.

It appears that Morm, by sheer luck, chose to dream about Firefoot on the very first night. But who did he dream of on the second night? I requested that the seer dream of Fea before the second night started, just to make sure we did not lynch an innocent. I believe that Morm did indeed pick Fea. On day two, he does not go after her, but tries his best to direct us from Fea to Firefoot.

Technically, I could be wrong, but I think it is a very good bet that Lady Fea is innocent.

So who is the third werewolf? We have three tries to catch the beast, but I would prefer to catch it today. I'd rather not see another villager killed.

Perhaps we should look for clues from Anguirel?

He said this-
Quote:
I think the good, rustic sense Primrose is showing does credit to us all. She defends the innocent and helpless, and assaults the sophists.
On day one, I suggested that Prim was the third werewolf. Was I right?

Everyone- who do you suspect?
Old 05-16-2005, 11:02 AM   #193
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

TP, your line of thinking impresses me.

<short pause>

Okay, you can stop saying "I told you so" now.

But if you're right, than my latent suspicion of Primrose makes sense to me.

EDIT: continuation:

Quote:
Primrose Bolger- suspicious only because of my lack of suspicion. How did she manage to escape my attention?
See? I have no real (at the moment) reason to suspect her, and that bothers me, since I've had reason to be suspicious of everybody. The whole point of this is suspicion, and she's flying under the radar, which makes me nervous. She hasn't really spear-headed much accusation, nor taken any.

Right now, we've got one werewolf that was in-your-face. The next was our average-joe werewolf. Now all we're missing is the sneak.

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 05-16-2005 at 11:08 AM. Reason: the bell rang before i finished.
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 11:13 AM   #194
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Also (I really hate to say this), don't forget about Kuru.

Kuru and Prim are the only two villagers left that were not attacked or implicated in any way by Anguirel or Firefoot. Prim was actually patted on the back by Anguirel. Kuru, on the other hand, was completely ignored. Did the wolves ignore him on purpose?

Not to mention the fact that when he cast both of his killing votes the deal was pretty much done. He was the last vote both times. As we all know, Firefoot cast a vote for Anguirel to cover her trail, so this pack of werewolves has a history of turning on each other to get people's eyes off of them.

And did you notice that Kuru did not seem too anxious to go along with the kill Firefoot vote? Was he hoping to stick to the original plan of killing Fea because he knew Fea to be an innocent?

Kuru has probably been posting in the least bloodthirsty manner during this game. Is this trickery?

(sorry Kuru, I really do hope that you aren't the werewolf)
Old 05-16-2005, 11:31 AM   #195
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I have yet to review the discussions in the light of the recent events but I can now sadly reveal the reasoning behind my choice of Firefoot. I was genuinely torn since Anguirel and Fea did seem to be hand in glove. However I decided to work on the hypothesis that Fea was an innocent though rashly outspoken villager.... the attack on the innocent SpM was fierce. I looked at the other people Anguirel had defended. Firefoot was prominent. Then there was Oddwen's immediate accusation - albeit subsequently withdrawn.

I thought that Oddwen might be the seer and had withdrawn her comment to protect her identity when another werewolf had been identified. I got very confused by all the cross debate but looked at who also accused Firefoot. Mormegil was prominent again and I did wonder if he might be the seer if Oddwen wasn't.

Obviously I dared not compromise an innocent life by risking identifying the seer. Also I was not confident enough to try to lead. I only had the same information as you. I had to leave it to your own examination hoping that you would understand or at least understand enough to keep silent. I hope that Mormegil's indication of that did not sign his death warrant.. Of course it might have made you think I was the seer but I went on logic then a leap of faith on a hunch.

Fellow citizens, I may have to make an early vote, I beg you to make up your own minds. I will post my reasoning if I have any but it may end up being a stab in the dark.
If we make the right choice now, no more innocent lives will be lost and we will have no innocent blood on our own hands. Choose wrongly and at least two more innocents will die. I do not think I can hope to survive if the wolf is not caught tonight. I am here now I fear because Mormegil had special knowledge...

Last edited by Mithalwen; 05-16-2005 at 12:35 PM. Reason: typos only
Old 05-16-2005, 11:46 AM   #196
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Mith, I hate to say it, but I think you're right. You're too smart. You've calmly and collectedly read the debate and come up with accurate suspicions. That makes you a danger. I have a feeling you'll die tonight, although me saying that may sign my own death warrent if it's not already a given. I'm not saying I'm going to kill you, I'm just saying that the chances of you being slaughtered brutally tonight are roughly the same as mine were yesterday of being lynched. I wish you luck.

Like you, I'm torn. I really don't see Primrose as guilty, but I have this insane gut feeling I can't get rid of. Kuru worries me also. He's been voting late, and only when it's inevitable what the outcome will be. A few posts ago, he tried to shift attention to Oddwen and bilbo. Oddwen I don't think is guilty, but I could be dead wrong. She fits my suspicion of "the sneak", seeing as that she's just sticking her head in and out enough to be present, but not enough to draw attention. To quote myself, flying under the radar.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:07 PM   #197
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Quote:
sorry Kuru
Don't be so apologetic. 'Tis quite alright. You wouldn't be doing your duty if you did not mention everyone.

However, I do have a few things I'd like to say...

Quote:
And did you notice that Kuru did not seem too anxious to go along with the kill Firefoot vote? Was he hoping to stick to the original plan of killing Fea because he knew Fea to be an innocent?
Ahh, I suppose that does look a little awkward. Aside from loudly squawking my innocence to the heavens (which even I would tell you not to believe just because I say it), I do have an explanation to offer.

I admit I was wrong about Firefoot and mormegil. I was suspicious (especially in the beginning) because a lot of the things mormegil said struck me as a bit of a stretch. I was also a little bit put off by the loud way he claimed his presentation was the most cogent one being put before the jury. As I am sure you have probably concluded by now, I'm a pretty cynical and flinty ole cuss who is apt to view with a certain degree of skepticism anyone who is making such large claims about the virtue of their own work. I was also, at the very end (and this perhaps does not reflect entirely well on my own personality ), a little bit annoyed with his refusal to go into much detail after I'd asked for a restatement of everybody's views. The thought crossed my mind that he wanted me to go back and take the time to hunt up all his posts on the subject, hoping that I would just read his posts and forget everything else that had been said in the amount of time it took to read it. It seemed like a werewolfish trick to me.

Obviously I was wrong about him. It did occur to me that he might be the Seer, but I was just never quite convinced of it. I ultimately went along with it because I was having a little get together at my place last night and I wanted to get the vote over with and not have to stick around for runoffs etc. when I was pretty certain how things were going to turn out in the end.

(Said get together is the reason why I'm a bit tardy putting in an appearance this morning...or, afternoon rather.)

I'm glad I doubted my own infallibility (and had a pressing social engagement...).

I might have been more willing to believe that mormegil was the Seer except for another confounding factor. While I now totally agree that it seems likely that Feanor is as pure and innocent as the wind driven snow (at least as far as being a werewolf is concerned) I think everyone will admit that her behavior created a certain...impression in the minds of many.

I, quite frankly, was at a complete loss to explain her behavior. The only way it made any sense in my mind was that Feanor was a werewolf. I just couldn't understand why she would act in such a...well, bizarre manner unless she were trying to get everything all hopelessly stirred up and confused so that nobody would think straight and we'd be more likely to make mistakes.

As a matter of fact, now that I think she's innocent, I'm even more puzzled than I was before...oh well.

I feel compelled to repeat my question of yesterday and hopefully this time I'll be able to extract a more satisfactory answer from somebody. Where have bilbo_baggins and Oddwen gone off to?

We are reaching the stage where we are running out of delators so I feel compelled to point out that bilbo_baggins made a fair amount of fuss and bother on DAY ONE and has gone suspicious quiet ever since. (Almost as if he took a hint from something.) Not accusing, mind you, just asking for an explanation. It is in our best interests to be as thorough as possible.

Last edited by Kuruharan; 05-16-2005 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Sometimes my use of pronouns is just unspeakable
Kuruharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 01:08 PM   #198
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
I was suspicious (especially in the beginning) because a lot of the things mormegil said struck me as a bit of a stretch.
That is what made me suspect that he might be a seer trying desperately to make a good case against a known werewolf.
Quote:
I, quite frankly, was at a complete loss to explain her behavior. The only way it made any sense in my mind was that Feanor was a werewolf.
As you can see by my attacks on her, I was thinking the same thing as you.
Quote:
As a matter of fact, now that I think she's innocent, I'm even more puzzled than I was before...oh well.
Ha ha! Me and you both.

Just to reach a more certain conclusion about Fea, I'm going to repost everything Morm said about Fea yesterday.
Quote:
While not fool proof I think we can see that Anguirel supported Firefoot and Feanor. Could it be that she tried to calm our suspicions and throw us off their tracks?
Quote:
Currently my heart pities poor Feanor and her pleas seem to be that of an innocent. Seem mind you, I'm not certain, but unless I get a good alibi from Firefoot my heart directs me to her being the werewolf among us.
Quote:
My attitude toward Fea has lessened, but I don't think she is clear. One might still hold suspicions of somebody but set that aside to single out somebody he has much more suspicion of so as to more fully focus his attention.
Quote:
Feanor, I never said I thought you to be innocent. I did say that I didn't view you as suspicious. I currently feel that we have a much stronger case, based on the evidence I presented, against Firefoot than we do on you. It is interesting to me though that in your list the only one, besides yourself, that you don't have any suspicions of is Firefoot.
Quote:
I am not ignoring the Fea arguement I merely think that the evidence more fully implicates Firefoot. I still have suspicion on Feanor and it is growing with each post, however I feel much more strongly that Firefoot is the one we need to hang. I will not say please reconsider your vote because if Fea is hung and she is a wolf it will implicate me. But, as I have said I do have suspicion on her but not as much as I do to Firefoot.
Quote:
There is some suspicion of Feanor, which I uphold but that phantom is spearheading. There has been this suspicion since the first day but doesn't seem to be founded on much evidence albeit there is some and she appears to be somebody to watch.
Is Fea truly "as pure and innocent as the wind driven snow"?

What if Morm did not dream of Fea. If he knew her to be innocent, I doubt he would have mentioned her as many times as he did. He could have just put forth his second quote about her pleas "seeming to be that of an innocent", and stopped there, but he continually brought up Fea and said that she was not excused.

Or was he doing this because going after Firefoot and ignoring the obvious day 1 suspect (Fea) would absolutely for sure mark him as the seer? That certainly makes sense.

Perhaps he figured that Fea would get lynched anyway and so he did not dream about her, and picked someone else to dream about just in case they were the third werewolf.

But since he already knew about Ang and Firefoot, why would he go searching for the third if he already suspected that Fea was the third? If Morm was certain about Firefoot already, you'd think he would have dreamed about Fea, which means that his attempts to move our votes from Fea to Firefoot prove Fea's innocence. After all, if he knew that both were wolves, why would he care which one got killed first?

But, it is still possible that he, instead of attempting to prove his suspicions about Fea, dreamed about someone entirely different, such as Primrose or I. That way Morm could finger the hidden third werewolf if Fea turned out not to be a wolf after we hung her on day 2, which the night before, seemed to be a certainty since there was a "hang Ang, hang Fea" plan.

Do you see the logic behind that? Morm thought "Yes, Fea might be the wolf, but since I already know the villagers are going to lynch her tomorrow I'm going to dream about someone else just in case it isn't Fea."

But once day two started rolling, Fea's hanging was up in the air (pun ), and so Morm, who had failed to identify a new wolf during the night, saw that there was a very real opportunity to hang a for sure werewolf- Firefoot, rather than a maybe wolf- Fea.

This makes perfect sense, though it is not, of course, necessarily what happened.

But I think that I have proved, Kuru, that Fea is not "as pure and innocent as the wind driven snow".

(and yes I know- I shouldn't apologize- but sorry Fea)
Old 05-16-2005, 01:15 PM   #199
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
While I now totally agree that it seems likely that Feanor is as pure and innocent as the wind driven snow (at least as far as being a werewolf is concerned) I think everyone will admit that her behavior created a certain...impression in the minds of many.
Me? Create impressions of myself? Why ever would I do such a thing as you say? What point or purpose would that serve to anyone? Honestly... what reasoning would I have to do that... you make it sound like I was trying to get myself lynched.

Quote:
I, quite frankly, was at a complete loss to explain her behavior. The only way it made any sense in my mind was that Feanor was a werewolf. I just couldn't understand why she would act in such a...well, bizarre manner unless she were trying to get everything all hopelessly stirred up and confused so that nobody would think straight and we'd be more likely to make mistakes.
Have you ever heard the phrase "wolfish grin"? Well I'm giving you one now. Not because I'm a wolf, mind you, but because it's just the thing to do. You're spot on about trying to get everyone stirred up and confused and likely to make mistakes. But the mistakes I was aiming for are not so much the lynch-the-innocent variety of mistake as the hastily posted defenses of randomly speared people. You can judge a person's sincerity by how they respond under pressure.

Quote:
Oh good. My life's purpose has been fulfilled. I hope I didn't clear too much up with this post... a little bit of mystery surrounding a girl is the way things are supposed to be.

Oh, and given his response, I think Kuru's innocent. If you're not, than I'll tell you what swayed me anyhow: You are, thus far, the only one to think aloud that my ramblings might be more than meets the eye.

And now, I must away... art show tomorrow, and we aren't ready!
Old 05-16-2005, 01:25 PM   #200
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I imagine this may well be my last post....

I have indeed analysed this and (sad to say copious note taking and even charts are involved). I am not completely confident but I don't think I am going to become more sure in the timeI have available (I hoe to check in first thing but it is not certain. Therefore I must vote now. So since it is not impossible I will change my mind if I see new evidence (and maybe this post will send the hounds in to draw a covert..). I beg you again to look at the evidence clear eyed. Apart from the fact that I feel certain to be the next victim, this ius our last best chance. Once the numbers reduce, it will be easier to get a majority. So look at the evidence and see if your conclusions agree with mine. Do not take my conclusions and make the evidence fit. I know this sounds arrogant but I know my success has attracted followers as well as enemies - and maybe followers who are enemies?

As I have reviewed the case and have divided the survivors into categories of suspicion. I have absolute confidence in noone but myself. However:

I suspect least perhaps Oddwen her only significant action has been to accuse Firefoot. To point a finger so decisively at a fellow werewolf would be a bizarre opening salvo when the game was so open right at the beginning. Again it woulod have been so much easier to join in witht he SPM stitchup .... even with muted enthusiasm.

Bilbo Baggins is also low on my list of suspects - Anguirel accused BB first before jumping on Fea's SpM band wagon.

Phantom -was accused early accused by both hanged werewolves. Others had suspicions (unfortuante name..) but I think maybe the Werewolves were unlucky that this bait wasn't picked up. Also, he has, as I have, used analysis with similar conclusions on Anguirel.......... so on the whole I wopuld be astounded if he were the remaining lycanthrope. But I will be too dead to be astounded if this is the case

I suspected Fea so much - it waspartly the irrational tie of friendship that made me choose Anguirel first and I had to be so careful last night to make sure it wasn't that that encouraged me to follow my instinct about Firefoot. However the words of Mormegil and Firefoot's accusation have helped move her off my immediate hit list ....

This leaves Kuruharan and Primrose Bolger. Kuruharan made me slightly suspiciou by his interest in my ideas, extreme reticence and late vosting. Just too passive for someone who was so enthusistic about the game. Too much the wise old owl. Also he said something about the least bloodthirsty being innocent... however he may just be playing the observer.. but I just felt he was letting others do too much of the work... and I was unnerved by his eagerness to make me expose my ideas more - become even more suspicious. I was scared of either being thought the seer or exposing the seer. However this is all circumstantial and not conclusive.

So.... Primrose has been too quiet... but she has been around. Like Anguirel she immediately attacked Bilbo, she was supported by Anguirel, she joined into the attack on the pan man. She has NOT voted but attempted to align herself with those who justly voted to lynch Anguirel and used it as a cue to encourage a summary execution of Fea before we could consider calmly. I do think it is likely that the third werewolf is one of the quiet ones - the ones you have to watch. And on balance of probabilities I vote ++ Primrose Bolger