The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2005, 12:10 PM   #241
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
cue Cole Porter "Mith Alwen regrets she does not agree today..."

Well Bilbo, I am sorry you have voted for me because I think you are innocent but I also think you have effectively signed your own death warrant. Your accusation of me is ludicrous - I was pivotal in deciding both righteous executions - maybe alas in the wrongful one. I wish I had time to post more at lunchtime else I might have saved both our skins..... however you did not care to look at my reasoning.

I genuinely never expected to be making this vote and so once the truth about Primrose was announced, I thought over things and came to a conclusion I did not want to see. I had been seduced by the idea that one of the werewolves would be keeping a low profile. I realised for all my minor suspicions, the final werewolf might have been very vocal. As I said I suspected the phantom, but the Phantom is dead.

So why the

Phantom not me? We both more or less published a rank order of suspicion. Bilbo and Oddwen had little reason to get me out of the way. In these late stages the voting will get random and the Phantom had been more suspected than me.

If Kuruharan were the werewolf, I am sure he would have killed me, he was next in order.
He said something early on about the simplest explanation was the best... at last I agree. This is the instinct I had last night and now I feel events support it. I think when we debated between Fea and Firefoot we debated in effect which werewold to hang first. When we were right about Firefoot, Fea managed to deflect suspicion. Look back, she has jumped on bandwagons with Primrose and Bilbo and Phantom had her second on his list and is now dead.

I think that it was also maybe a quid pro quo for allowing friendship to influence the choice between her and Firefoot. She is so clever.... if you look she has managed to sympathize and support me while also suggesting I am not above suspicion. But I think our werewolves were so enthusiastic about their role they got a little carried away at first - Fea managed to turn it around, but I still think on reflection, that the most likely explanation is that she is a werewolf. As Phantom pointed out Mormegil did not clear her - I think he wanted to bag Firefoot while deflecting Fea's attention.

Of course I may be quite wrong and if so I am sorry - I am not absolutely certain but it is what my head and heart tell me. To pick one of the others would be completely random. If one of them is guilty then I salute you for playing a blinder..... but I will vote with conscience not ease. Reread..... see what the dead have thought....

Phantom - I think you lost your life for mine, and I think this is how you would have voted too ++Feanor of the Peredhil

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 01:08 PM   #242
bilbo_baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In my front hallway, grabbing my staff, about to head out my door
bilbo_baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to bilbo_baggins
Mith, I must say you have convinced me. I don't know how to go about voting for someone. Thank you for believing in my innocence. So --Mithalwen and wait for my new vote.

I am so confused in this disturbing finale. I just hope that someone wins.

bilbo
Old 05-18-2005, 02:24 PM   #243
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
a repeated quote

Oh my... dear Mithalwen, please say you'll listen to my defense. Of course you will... you are far more of a fair judge than I am. Please let me try to change your mind.

Quote:
Look back, she has jumped on bandwagons with Primrose and Bilbo and Phantom had her second on his list and is now dead.
I did no such thing. If you'll remember, I commented that I suspected bilbo in one of my very first posts. And even though that entire post is cloaked in a teasing nature, I did say quite early on about bilbo that:

Quote:
I think you might have done it.
With Primrose, I've had a weird feeling all along, even though it turned out to be wrong. But quoting her, she said:

Quote:
It's bilbo_baggins who bears watching in my mind.
in post #74. Since I was obviously wrong, I'm feeling more likely to listen to her instincts than my own. My accusal of bilbo, although cold, is not entirely random, as even the other night, glancing over my list of players and thoughts about them, I scratched a small black "W" by his name.

Quote:
Look back, she has jumped on bandwagons with Primrose and Bilbo and Phantom had her second on his list and is now dead.
My suspicions of Primrose were not unfounded, but were obviously hasty. I couldn't understand why somebody innocent would not be more vocal. I had my trinity of bad guy personas fixed in my head (the out-spoken, the average, the sneak) and she fit the sneak so well, seeing as how she was so unsuspicous. It seemed to me that someone that over-looked could only be guilty. It's like the criminal who then proceeds to be really really good for awhile to avert suspicion, or the sinner who then tries to make up for it with a lot of good deeds. I'm sorry that I was wrong, but I try to listen to my instincts... in real life, they're great. I'm sorry they aren't so wonderful when I can't read your faces.

Quote:
And why would I kill the phantom? I only just started to believe him again. I pointed out all the evidence I thought pointed to him in as organized a manner as I could, but after a large amount of dissuasion on his part I changed my mind. Although he still suspected me, and I suspected him, I finally did ascertain (to myself as well as you) that I believed him innocent. After all that, I'm not about to go off and kill him. He was just starting to believe me.

And really, the only bandwagon I offically jumped onto was this one:

Quote:
I'm still not so sure of Firefoot's guilt, but if the majority thinks her a werewolf, I may have to jump onto the bandwagon. After all, I've been wrong before.
Quote:
If one of them is guilty then I salute you for playing a blinder.....
I'm not sure what a blinder is (presumably someone or something that intentionally messes with how people see things?), but I will gracefully accept that salute.

I stand by my vote for bilbo... I can only hope you change your mind, Mith.

Fea
Old 05-18-2005, 02:30 PM   #244
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Oh, and this:

Quote:
I probably won't be able to post again before the time comes, so I must with a heavy heart cast my vote for ++ANGUIREL even though it is very out of character.
It could be a harmless choice of words, but how ironic would it be if bilbo really is our werewolf and told us so himself?
Old 05-18-2005, 03:38 PM   #245
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots OUCH! My head hurts...

Well, if this just isn't the bottomless pit of irony I don't know what is. Mithalwen comes around to my way original way of thinking after I've mostly abandoned it. Now, yet again, I'm not entirely sure what to do. My modes of thinking are all dueling against each other.

However, I would be much more inclined to believe Mithalwen now if it wasn't for the behavior of bilbo right afterwards. He retracts his vote, but (as usual) doesn't then vote for anybody else. This seems almost like a strategy to curry favor for the next DAY, not voting for anybody and then theoretically not having anybody out to get him when we proceed on to the final act.

I'm afraid my confusion of thought will not allow me to come to a rational decision. I'm just going to have to wing it.

In the end, I find it easier to believe that mormegil did dream about Feanor and tried to protect her with out making it too obvious than to believe he did not and was just going by assumption. Feanor was the painfully obvious one to dream about that NIGHT. Who else would he have dreamed about?

Anyway, in the past we've always had good luck when I've voted last.

++ bilbo_baggins

Last edited by Kuruharan; 05-18-2005 at 03:43 PM.
Kuruharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 03:49 PM   #246
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Fea contemplates cheering then decides it's inappropriate

Step up to the noose, ol' boy. Many apologies if I'm wrong, but I'm going to have to stick with my pal's advice for the week: do what you have to do, then go home and cry if it turns out bad. If it helps, if you turn out innocent, I'll cry a lot at your funeral. If not, then hey, I've got even better odds of guessing accurately next time!
Old 05-18-2005, 04:00 PM   #247
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Another dead ???

Bilbo_baggins was quickly bound, but now the four remaining villagers were less sure of themselves. The straps were placed carefully on the hobbit’s ankles and wrist, but without the malice of the previous day. The shackles lay unused at the base of the gallows, and there was no taunting or attacks as he was led to the noose. The reluctant executioners had a moment of silence before the trap was opened and bilbo fell downward. He managed to shout 'Aure entuluva! ' before his neck snapped loudly, echoing across the village square. Everyone rushed forward to protect themselves if necessary, but it was painfully obvious that they had the blood of another innocent on their hands.

Inside, the werewolf was howling with gleeful laughter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Living
  • Oddwen
  • Feanor of the Peredhil
  • Kuruharan
  • Mithalwen
Dead
  • Shelob (Villager) - mangled by werewolves during Night 1
  • Anguirel (Werewolf) - hanged on Day 1
  • The Saucepan Man (Villager) – shredded and simmered by werewolves during Night 2
  • Firefoot (Werewolf) - hanged on Day 2
  • mormegil (The Seer) - shredded horrificallyby a werewolf on Night 3
  • Primrose Bolger (Villager) – hanged on Day 3 on suspicion of being a werewolf
  • the phantom (Villager) – gone missing on Night 4, presumed killed by werewolves
  • bilbo_baggins (Villager) – hanged on Day 4 on suspicion of being a werewolf
Score
Werewolves: 1
Villagers: 3

NIGHT begins at 6PM tonight and ends at 6AM tomorrow.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:35 AM   #248
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sorry, don't have time to do a proper killing this morning....

The werewolves killed Mithalwen.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Living
  • Oddwen
  • Feanor of the Peredhil
  • Kuruharan
Dead
  • Shelob (Villager) - mangled by werewolves during Night 1
  • Anguirel (Werewolf) - hanged on Day 1
  • The Saucepan Man (Villager) – shredded and simmered by werewolves during Night 2
  • Firefoot (Werewolf) - hanged on Day 2
  • mormegil (The Seer) - shredded horrificallyby a werewolf on Night 3
  • Primrose Bolger (Villager) – hanged on Day 3 on suspicion of being a werewolf
  • the phantom (Villager) – gone missing on Night 4, presumed killed by werewolves
  • bilbo_baggins (Villager) – hanged on Day 4 on suspicion of being a werewolf
  • Mithalwen - killed by werewolves on Night 5
Score
Werewolves: 1
Villagers: 2

It is now DAY. Day lasts until 6AM tomorrow. Two votes is enough for a lynching. If you get it right, the Villagers win. If you get it wrong, the werewolves win.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:53 AM   #249
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
"Sorry, don't have time to do a proper killing this morning...."

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 07:02 AM   #250
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Oddwen. It has to be Oddwen. Who on earth comes up with such random and pointless evidence as "three people all used the word 'odd'"?

But then again, Kuru, the phantom suspected you, and I trust his judgement (except against me).

But then again, it could be me.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:34 AM   #251
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
But then again, Kuru, the phantom suspected you, and I trust his judgement (except against me).
This is a difficult statement. If the phantom was wrong about you, then upon what basis do you have such absolute confidence in him? On the other hand, if you have such great confidence in his ability...he suspected you before me. Shouldn't I then place such confidence in him and so believe the culprit is you?

However, before we rush to judgment, one thing...

As we know from The Barrow-Wight's post # 43, we were selected "randomly." I presume this means he drew our names out of a hat or something. Anyway, the point is that there is an equal opportunity for all of us to be the werewolf. The only thing we have to go on is our behavior up to this point.

As far as charges against me are concerned, I've always tried to give everyone a fair hearing. I've never argued for a rush to judgment. This is hardly the behavior of a werewolf who'd want to get the DAYs over with as quickly as possible. I wanted to give bilbo_baggins a chance to defend himself yesterday (would that he had done a slightly better job ) and, in spite of the fact that Mithalwen was clearly suspicious of me, I wanted to hear what she had to say. I'm not sure there is much more that I could say to convince everyone I'm not a werewolf except to point to my restraint throughout.

However, I'm having an extension of my thought of yesterday. Wouldn't it be a regular werewolfish trick to continue to hide in the tall grass and let the other two tear each other to pieces and then come in and cast the deciding vote? Just a thought.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:46 AM   #252
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Yes, Kuru, yes it would. But before I vote, I would like to hear Oddwen defend herself. I've already decided, but the two of you don't really need to know who I want to die just now.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:31 AM   #253
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Come on, Oddwen. Save yourself from the gallows. I need to see a proper defense from you before I vote, and I've got to go to work at 3:00.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:55 PM   #254
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
So this is the last step.

It seems as though you've already formed a judgement of me, Fea.

I am no werewolf. Random, yes, werewolf, no. My erraticism and pointlessness are from a fear of the game, rather than any master plan...

My vote for Firefoot was a completely random choice - It was a choice between her and anyone else who hadn't posted.
My retraction of that vote was a chagrined one, as I realized then that being hasty could be fatal to the wrong people.
As to the "odd" part of that post...that was as tp called it "a spot of fun".

Any lack of vote after that was because Sunday was a family day and I didn't get any real time online.

And on Monday and Tuesday...by the time I could get online, the voting was done and there was no need for me to say anything...nor indeed anything I could think of to say.

My hasty vote for Bilbo on Wednesday I regret, for I believe now it was another random wild shot on my part, only this time gone wrong.

Quote:
Wouldn't it be a regular werewolfish trick to continue to hide in the tall grass and let the other two tear each other to pieces and then come in and cast the deciding vote? (Kuru)
This does seem like a very werewolfish thing to do. If you know anything about me however, you'd know that I loathe decisions and make them as soon as humanly possible, if at all.

Quote:
It has to be Oddwen. (Fea)
Why? I've been my usual random self. Though I don't know much of you two, Kuru is the one acting closest to what I know of his behavior.

Quote:
I think mormegil is the seer. I say this because of what I've already said... he's the only one to put forth that he thinks I'm innocent. That's a danger to him, but if he knows that I'm innocent, he would try to keep me alive any how.
Why would you reveal your suspicions on the seer when others feared losing him too much to say anything? Seems to me villagers, in addition to defending ourselves, would have a duty to hide the seer if he was the only one who could KNOW about a werewolf.

These are very disjointed thoughts, I'll try again tonight.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:30 PM   #255
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

No need to try again, Oddwen, since I don't think you are guilty. I think it is Kuruharan who has been playing us as fools.

Frankly, I was afraid that you wouldn't post in time and that you would then be considered to be voting for yourself. I assumed that Kuru would then proceed to kill you off and win the game.

Of the last three players, I know that I am innocent, and I've long since decided that you are. My vote is for ++Kuruharan, and has been for awhile now.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:51 PM   #256
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Actually, I’m the one who has been played for a fool. However, I’ve probably deserved it. From DAY ONE I thought Feanor was a werewolf. Her behavior that day and sometimes subsequently has been puzzling, as I noted before. She attacked both Saucepan Man and bilbo_baggins on the first day and was supported in her assertions by Anguirel. Now, we know all too well that Saucepan Man and bilbo_baggins were innocent and Anguirel was the werewolf. Feanor never did retract her vote from Saucepan Man that day, even though she had plenty of time to do so.

On DAY TWO Feanor looked like she was going up the steps. I thought this was a perfectly rational thing to do. However, mormegil was the seer and convinced us (more or less) to hang Firefoot. This turned out to be correct. However, notice on that DAY Feanor couldn't resist returning to beat on poor bilbo_baggins...again. However, she did not actually make a vote for some time, almost as if she’s taken a hint from something. She finally did cast her vote against the phantom, who we now know to be innocent. Is anyone else seeing a pattern here? Notice how after Mithalwen voted for Firefoot, Feanor changed her vote as if she saw a way out of her little mess by hopping on the bandwagon.

Now, lets take a look at the pattern of the last couple of victims. On DAY FOUR, we awoke to find that the phantom had absconded. On DAY THREE, even though he voted for Primrose, the phantom actually built a case against Feanor which at least seemed plausible. (Would that I had listened at the time.) The summary of his remarks on the subject is that mormegil may not have dreamed about Feanor. He may have just assumed Feanor was innocent or, as the phantom suggested, he was trying to let us know that he did not know about Feanor. Low and behold, the next morning the phantom is dead.

On DAY FIVE, what happens but Feanor’s favorite old whipping boy bilbo_baggins turns up in the dock. While, I must admit that it seems a little suspicious that Oddwen put him up, Feanor’s contribution to the situation piles onto a mountain of suspicion much greater than Oddwen’s. Feanor certainly acted with the utmost alacrity to add her vote to one who we now know to be innocent. Then we had Mithalwen, the dissenting voice (forgive me Mithalwen, for I have yet again done something incredibly stooopid) who returned with a reinforced argument that contained bits and pieces of my original arguments. I’m beginning to think that the reason why I’ve lasted this long is because I’m so obviously stone deaf that I can’t hear a thing that is said to me. Well, I’m listening now and I hope it is not too late.

Then we have this lulu of an exchange…

Mithalwen-

Quote:
If one of them is guilty then I salute you for playing a blinder
To which Feanor responded-

Quote:
I'm not sure what a blinder is (presumably someone or something that intentionally messes with how people see things?), but I will gracefully accept that salute.
Now I wonder if Feanor is really so very ignorant of what Mithalwen said. On the face of it, Feanor just confessed to being the werewolf we’ve all been looking for. Now, she may really not have known what “blinder” means. (In case anyone does not know, it means doing a really good job and such like). In this context, Mithalwen was referring to the werewolf. I begin to think it is possible that Feanor said that sarcastically, attempting to cover it, but still sarcastically believing that Mithalwen was in bed and would not be up again until too late.

Then, what do we find on DAY SIX? Mithalwen is unceremoniously (and I do mean unceremoniously) slain, who had been so dangerously persuasive on DAY FIVE. Someone apparently did not want Mithalwen’s brain to be working on this problem any farther. And, what does she do but accuse me who has done nothing but attempt to exercise patience throughout. She's probably mad at me because I failed to seal bilbo_baggins' fate hours before Mithalwen could have intervened and tried to direct us onto the true course. Also notice that there is no explanation as to why I am guilty. Just an implicit demand to go along.

Well, here at last, on the shore of the…uhhh…town pond, I come again to the same puzzlement that has beset me from the beginning. Why would Feanor go charging off at anybody and everybody without any knowledge of the situation? The obvious answer is that she is the last werewolf. No other explanation makes nearly the sense that this one does. And here we are, three of us left and one of us is a werewolf. One of the three is the one we’ve suspected from the very beginning. She's been incessantly howling her innocence to anybody and everybody. As Shakespeare said "I think she doth protest too much." I should have never abandoned my belief in the simplest answer always being the best. I think we should have done this a lot sooner.

++ FEANOR OF THE PEREDHIL
Old 05-19-2005, 04:12 PM   #257
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
From DAY ONE I thought Feanor was a werewolf.
So from day one, you were wrong. Congratulations.

Quote:
She attacked both Saucepan Man and bilbo_baggins on the first day and was supported in her assertions by Anguirel.
Yeah, because on the first day, I thought that they were guilty, and on the first day, Anguirel was trying to get me killed. When the game is over, ask him yourself.

Quote:
Feanor never did retract her vote from Saucepan Man that day, even though she had plenty of time to do so.
Because I still thought he was guilty.

Quote:
On DAY TWO Feanor looked like she was going up the steps.
*giggle* Yeah. I'm glad you guys changed your minds... would have been awful if you'd killed an innocent (me) instead of a werewolf (Firefoot).

Quote:
However, notice on that DAY Feanor couldn't resist returning to beat on poor bilbo_baggins...again.

Quote:
Feanor changed her vote as if she saw a way out of her little mess by hopping on the bandwagon.
Because I realized that even though I'm really good at keeping myself alive, I'm apparently really bad at guessing who's guilty or not.

Quote:
the phantom actually built a case against Feanor which at least seemed plausible.
Plausible, yes. Accurate... pretty much. Did tp come to the wrong conclusion... heck yes he did.

Quote:
Now I wonder if Feanor is really so very ignorant of what Mithalwen said.
I am. Honestly, I'd never heard the term before. Hence my pretty much entirely inaccurate guess of the meaning.

Quote:
Just an implicit demand to go along.
I'm like that. Plus I was busy. Remember B-W's unceremonious killing of Mithalwen? My attempted lynching of you fits into those same guidelines.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:30 PM   #258
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots *sigh*

Oddwen-

First of all, before I say anything else about what Feanor just said, I'm not asking you to believe just me. I'm asking you to believe the phantom and especially Mithalwen. Re-read what Mithalwen said yesterday and just think about what she'd be saying if she'd made it to this point. I think there is a painfully obvious reason why Mithalwen could not possibly be allowed to make it here.

Feanor is asking (actually demanding, and beginning to get kind of shrill about it to, if I may say) you to take her word for it (always unwise in a game of this nature) and offering no evidence to support it. She just taunts me for being "mistaken" and then embarks upon a voyage of self-justification.

Now,

Feanor-

Regarding The Saucepan Man and bilbo_baggins (said repeatedly)

Quote:
(Notice the italics, she seems to be getting desperate.)

Why? There was no reason to think so. There was never any reason to think Saucepan Man was guilty. Suspicion about bilbo developed only gradually. So, I ask again, why?

Quote:
*giggle* Yeah. I'm glad you guys changed your minds
I bet.

Quote:
Plausible, yes. Accurate... pretty much. Did tp come to the wrong conclusion... heck yes he did.
This does not follow. If it is plausible and accurate (by your own admission) then the chances are that it is true.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:44 PM   #259
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
I think there is a painfully obvious reason why Mithalwen could not possibly be allowed to make it here.
Sure there is. This one:

Quote:
And just think... if we kill bilbo and I'm wrong, then tonight the werewolf will kill another innocent. That narrows the list of Alive down to three people. If I'm still alive, and Mith is still alive, that pretty much means I'll know who the werewolf is.
Quote:
offering no evidence to support it
I most certainly gave an excellent reason for my choice. I know that I'm innocent, and I'm reasonably certain that Oddwen is. Looking around, I see only you left. I'd be happy to point my finger if you can give me another target. Can you blame me for choosing you by default?

Quote:
(Notice the italics, she seems to be getting desperate.)
The idea was to get my point across.

Quote:
This does not follow. If it is plausible and accurate (by your own admission) then the chances are that it is true.
Sure, chances are that it's true, but chances are often wrong. Let me clarify: given the evidence that the phantom saw, he came to that conclusion. My point is that he was not seeing what was there. He misread the evidence. Remember how we accidentally lynched a few innocents? You blame me for it, but I certainly wasn't the only person voting. If y'all honestly thought I was guilty, then why in the world would you listen to me!?
Old 05-19-2005, 04:50 PM   #260
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Gah! Deciding vote! Must...not...screw...up!

Well, here's the end:

Fea, you don't think I'm guilty because you know that you are. Your last words to me are a last-ditch attempt to turn me against Kuru.

Not for nothing have you been suspected by everyone in this village. You are a very subtle wolf - the "sneak" that fits into your own unholy trio. And dangerous as well, as poor Mith, phantom, morm, bilbo and Primrose know. You've succeeded in throwing the attention away from yourself very well indeed.

Thus, I must side with the unfortunate dead and vote ++Feanor of the Peredhil, as should have been days ago.

(And if I'm wrong, I pray to die swiftly )

Old 05-19-2005, 05:00 PM   #261
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Quote:
And just think... if we kill bilbo and I'm wrong, then tonight the werewolf will kill another innocent. That narrows the list of Alive down to three people. If I'm still alive, and Mith is still alive, that pretty much means I'll know who the werewolf is.

-and-

I know that I'm innocent
The problem with this is that you are still demanding us to take your own word for your innocence and demanding that we completely ignore the mountain of evidence against you.

Quote:
My point is that he was not seeing what was there. He misread the evidence.
Based upon what? This doesn’t make any sense.

And you still did not explain why you thought Saucepan Man and bilbo_baggins were guilty. Probably because you knew they were not.

Quote:
If y'all honestly thought I was guilty, then why in the world would you listen to me!?
It wasn't a matter of just listening to you. There were other voices to consider. In the case of bilbo_baggins, I had a theory I wanted to test out. However, unlike some people I could name, I did not drive the boot in when I could have. I waited. I wanted to see what other people had to say. Does that seem like the behavior of a werewolf?

You are probably picking on me now because I seemingly have a slightly roguish personality and you think you can convince Oddwen on the basis of that. However, as I noted above. The Barrow-Wight did not choose people on the basis of personality.

EDIT: Well, I see I was preceeded again.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:10 PM   #262
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
The problem with this is that you are still demanding us to take your own word for your innocence and demanding that we completely ignore the mountain of evidence against you.
Yeah, pretty much.

Quote:
Does that seem like the behavior of a werewolf?
Yes.

------------------------

At the end of the long ordeal, the oft accused and rarely believed (yet incredibly beautiful, clever, and deep) Feanor of the Peredhil bowed politely to those who meant to kill her. She knew that her chance to convince them was over. She strode calmly to the gallows, taking deep breaths to steady her nerves. Fea stuck out her tongue once, in an imitation of Einstein. Patiently, she awaited her own death.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:30 PM   #263
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots Under the auspices of The Barrow-Wight…

The two remaining villagers lept up, seized, and bound this latter-day Cassandra. They were not particularly gentle because they were certain they now had found their werewolf; the one who had caused them so much trouble and cost them so many friends.

Feanor remained aloof and endured the rather ill-meaning knocking about she took as they hoisted her up the steps. The burlap sack went over the head, the noose went around the neck, and Kuruharan pulled the lever.

Alas, they were not skilled hangmen and poor Feanor gagged rather loudly and flailed about like a landed fish for some moments until she finally choked to death.

Oddly enough, she never showed signs of being a werewolf.

A deep silence ensued.

"Sooo..." said Oddwen, "she wasn't the werewolf?"

"Apparently not," replied Kuruharan.

"Sooo..." said Oddwen. "Even though she behaved in a completely irrational and unbelievable manner from the very beginning, she was in fact as pure and innocent as the wind-driven snow?"

"Weeell," replied Kuruharan, "at least of being the last werewolf. Who knows about anything else? Had I been in your place I'd have voted against her too."

"And I'm not the werewolf," said Oddwen.

"No, I don't think so," said Kuruharan.

"So in the end she was right about you?" asked Oddwen.

"It does appear that way," said Kuruharan.

"Hmmm..." said Oddwen. "This is not exactly how I'd expected the last frightful devouring to go. I'd expected something a lot more violent and a lot less verbose."

"Consider it stress relief after the truly wretched start I had," replied Kuruharan. "As the Wight can tell you, I seriously doubted from the beginning that I'd make it very far, much less win, especially after the others bought it."

"Oh..." said Oddwen.

Another pause.

"Before you eat me there is something I'd like to know," said Oddwen.

"Oh ye who has but a moment to live, what do you want of me?" asked Kuruharan. "The villain answering the final question of the hero is customary after all."

"I'd never heard of a dwarf werewolf before," said Oddwen. "How'd it happen?'

"I have no idea," replied Kuruharan. "It just sort of dropped on me one day..."

There was furious roar and a rush of gray fur...

THE END

WEREWOLVES VICTORIOUS!!

Last edited by Kuruharan; 05-19-2005 at 06:50 PM.
Kuruharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 06:38 PM   #264
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Very nice, Kuru.

Fea shakes hands with all the players.

That was more fun than I've had in ages.

Oh, and one more thing...

I told ya so.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:41 PM   #265
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Thumbs up

Only at the last where it didn't do ya any good...
Old 05-19-2005, 07:06 PM   #266
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

After observing the proper moment of silence for Fea, and not knowing exactly when the proper time is to do this, I'm going to proceed the best way I know how. Although there's a 95% chance I won't have access to a computer on Saturday and an 80% chance that I won't have access to a computer on Sunday, I'm going to throw my hat in for the second game and hope that I am not suspected to be a werewolf and lynched (which I probably won't be, having done nothing in a conceivable pattern), or killed by a werewolf (which I probably won't be, because I won't pose as even a minor threat until Monday, in all likelihood) before Monday. Oh yeah, I guess I do have to survive the 'kill them if they haven't talked yet' idea, but having given notice that I won't be posting I'm hoping to avoid that...

Last edited by The Only Real Estel; 05-19-2005 at 07:14 PM.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 07:15 PM   #267
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Oooh, that was great!! I had never heard of any sort of game like that. Very intriguing and just.....well......GREAT!! Hats off to all players. And speaking of hats, I'm throwing mine in for the new one, please.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:27 PM   #268
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Screwed...up...bad!

What's this? I lost the game, multiple innocent lives were lost, and I died horrifically in the end? Hey, my ultimate lifelong fear wasn't so bad after all. Nobody's yelling at me anyway...yet...

Seriously, good game guys. Congrats to victorious Loup Kuru on his gory win, and count me into the next game if there's a spot open.

Old 05-19-2005, 07:59 PM   #269
Shelob
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shelob has just left Hobbiton.
As much as I appreciate you all taking your hats off to all players I would like to point out that I did little but rot and stare impressively at the deductive skills of the remaining players. So I join you in congratulating them, it was well played (and I don't think I mentioned it but, Barrow-Wight, your post for my death made my day when I saw it...Thanks.)

I know I already requested a place in the next game but I have to retract my request.
A closer look at my upcoming schoolwork suggests that the next few days I would be better spent dancing to the tune of obsessive teachers than risk dancing in the breeze or with a wolf dancing upon my grave. Since the game is probably going to last only a few days I'll more than likely be joining you for the one after that (since there clearly seems enough interest for there to be a third game).

My thanks and Good luck to the next village.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:02 PM   #270
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
Since the game is probably going to last only a few days I'll more than likely be joining you for the one after that (since there clearly seems enough interest for there to be a third game).
The thought had occured to me of waiting until the third game, but, being a person have very little self-control, I don't think I could wait that long . I could barely wait the day-and-a-half for the last game to get over with (I discovered it late). I suppose I'll think on withdrawing, but for the meantime my hat is still in the ring (and it's likely to remain there).
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 08:13 PM   #271
Shelob
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shelob has just left Hobbiton.
You're busy through Monday and so unable to really pay attention to the game until then, a more recent look at my workload suggests I won't be able to really spend time here until Thursday...I would like to have a part in the next game and am really irked at the idea of waiting, but what's the point of taking a spot someone else could actually use if I must be mute. This way someone else gets a chance to play and I'm not distracted and so able to get my work done...sure I must impatiently wait for another chance to to risk death at the hands (or paws, depending) of you people but on the whole everyone wins (and this is probably the only time it can be said that 'everyone wins' in relation to this game)
Old 05-19-2005, 08:17 PM   #272
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I would like to take part in the next game. Nothing like suspicion, intrigue, and accusation to brighten up my day!
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 08:19 PM   #273
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots For next time

I'm not sure I entirely agree with your sig there Estel.

Misleading is the key, not necessarily lying per se...

Note for The Saucepan Man

I heartily endorse the no-retraction rule on voting. I'm not so sure about mandating a minimum amount of debate though. I think just a no retraction rule would probably serve the purpose of making people think before they vote more effectively than a set amount of time. (Might help avoid awkward situations like arose at the start of DAY 4. bilbo_baggins was within a hair's breadth of being put down before he even had a chance to say a word, let me tell you... )

Setting a minimum debate time might be counterproductive in stimulating debate because people might be afraid to say anything before the minimum time had passed.

EDIT: I trust we will get a new thread for the next game (although I haven't decided if I want to play yet...I may just want to sit back and bask and gloat !)
Old 05-19-2005, 08:20 PM   #274
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

So, it was Kuru that killed me.

After I died instead of Mith, it made me suspect Kuru just as much as Fea.

Was it this post that made you kill me, Kuru? You knew I was going to kill you and Fea if I stayed in, didn't you?

Beautiful game, everyone.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:26 PM   #275
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Quote:
Was it this post that made you kill me, Kuru?
No, not specifically. It was either you or Mithalwen that night. I'd decided that even before that particular DAY phase started. I don't remember exactly what made me pick you. I think it had something to do with I thought I would have an easier time making it look like Mithalwen had eaten you than you eating Mithalwen...or something like that. However, that next DAY did not go the way I had expected it to at all! I was offered an unexpected gift that I decided to refuse!!
Old 05-19-2005, 10:23 PM   #276
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

Quote:
However, that next DAY did not go the way I had expected it to at all!
No kidding. I groaned something terrible when I saw that Bilbo was getting votes. If Bilbo got killed, I figured the wolf would win since there would be only one more chance to kill it and two good suspects to kill.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:32 PM   #277
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
That was so much fun to read! Can I request to be part of the next game? I've played a similar game on every band trip ever, we call it Mafia, with cards. I love it. So...yeah, *whine* I wanna play!
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 10:42 PM   #278
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
*whine* I wanna play!
Beat it, kid. Whiners aren't allowed to play this game.
Quote:
we call it Mafia, with cards
"Mafia"- yeah, fun game.

"with cards"- huh?

Explain the "with cards" part (if it's a long explanation, pm it).
Quote:
I haven't decided if I want to play yet...I may just want to sit back and bask and gloat
No- please don't. If I'm a wolf next time I want you in the game so I can maul you.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:01 PM   #279
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Kuruharan, you killed me at the right time. Had I lasted next round you were my target. I decided to dream about Feanor because I believe Phantom to be innocent and I knew Bilbo was (I dreamt of him the second night because he looked suspicious and I knew that Feanor could easily be hung at anytime). So if Feanor was innocent I was suspecting you. You were playing it too good, just as I would want to play as the wolf. Voting but not being incriminating of any wolf, showing that you knew strategy well in some of your posts. I was hoping they would catch you but well played.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:04 PM   #280
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Next Game

First off I don't envy the seer. It's difficult to be useful and keep yourself alive. Secondly I don't think I will be able to play I am making a trip to Miami to check it out before I move there. I am leaving on the 25th so I think I'll try and catch the 3rd.