The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2005, 08:06 PM   #321
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
TP Inn is the place for everyone to come and discuss the previous night's events and make their accusations.
The phrase "TP Inn" makes me giggle to myself in a really immature manner.

My role shall be that of the Grumpy Old Lady. Every village needs one.

So, who's going to be the village idiot?

Ach... I'm in a rather silly mood tonight.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 08:12 PM   #322
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Laughing at the The Phantom Inn's abbreviation, TP Inn? That's fine. I admit- the place is a real dump.

*snicker*
Old 05-20-2005, 08:27 PM   #323
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
I am the village carpenter. I seldom leave my hut (where I attend to a mother who is not well), and am rather timid by nature; I rarely speak at large gatherings.

Last edited by Son of Númenor; 05-20-2005 at 08:31 PM. Reason: wc
Son of Númenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 11:04 PM   #324
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Quote:
I would not recommend selecting a role like that. It's likely to get you lynched.
I think I'll chance it...it's a role I'm familiar with. Besides, who would lynch lil' ol'me?
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 12:22 AM   #325
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Since talking swords are a bit exotic, I'll be the next best thing. A Grim Blacksmith, a loner, bearded, who spends most of his time in the forge...by the way, I'm out tonight, so I may be oddly silent...
Old 05-21-2005, 05:04 AM   #326
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

I am a merchant. I often leave for days at a time and return from some strange foreign land with goods the likes of which ye have ne'er seen before. My very presence in the village sometimes encourages feelings of xenophobia.

I am quite rich.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:09 AM   #327
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Whew, a new game begins...Frankly, I'm quite excited! On the spur of the moment and the temporary lack of imagination, I'll be a handicrafts(wo)man. I can make rather...interesting osier baskets if you need any.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:47 AM   #328
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

SamwiseGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

If a new game gets started I think I shall be a travelling hermit. I am short and bent, the weight of the years visibly evident upon my old body. My crooked little body is supported by an old gnarled walking stick and my shaggy grey beard has several parts of yesterday's dinner in it. The smell of urine eminating from my person is purely coincidental. I love cheese.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:09 AM   #329
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Fair warning for everyone, my posting over the next couple days will be sporatic. Today I've got to work from 11:30-4 (EST) and at 6:00 I have to go play photographer for the prom that I'm not even going to. Tomorrow I have a humongous project for my college Economics course that I have to start and finish, and then Monday I'll be out of town most of the day. Of course I'll still have time to get suspicious, draw suspicion, and try my hand at lynching werewolves.
Quote:
You can stay for free, of course.
Oh good. Our kids from the last game (how many did we have? I'm still in the dark on this one. ) might object if you'd charged me.

I'm a young healer, but very powerful, adept, and quite arrogant. Much like young Anakin, only you know... a healer instead of Jedi, and not nearly as whiney or likely to start (--trails off here, realizing that she was about to give away a really cool new movie scene--). Yeah... so pretty much, I'm me, only I heal stuff.

See y'all later!
Old 05-21-2005, 10:15 AM   #330
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

OK, once everyone has posted their open roles, there should be no discussion of village events on this thread. And let's try to keep it relatively chat free. The purpose of this thread is to discuss game mechanics and let people know when RL committments will limit your posting so as not to arouse suspicion unnecessarily.

One more thing - please could everyone make sure that they keep sufficient space in their PM box for game needs (the PM box limit is 20).
Old 05-21-2005, 10:57 AM   #331
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

The role of Werewolf Hunter perhaps raises a couple of questions. He/She names another player to die with him/her. When exactly does the Hunter name that other player? And when does the player die? The same night or the next one, maybe?

And what happens if the Werewolf Hunter picks the Cursed Villager? Which player's special power takes precedence?
Old 05-21-2005, 11:23 AM   #332
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

The Hunter names, and kills, one other player just before he or she dies.

If the Hunter picks the Cursed, the Cursed is dead.
Old 05-21-2005, 12:45 PM   #333
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

What if the Hunter casts his/her vote and then cannot make it onto the internet for another 24 hours. Is the Hunter's excecution put on hold until he/she can select the victim, or does the Hunter contact the moderator (from beyond the grave) and select his/her victim?

Only because we will not all be present at the lynching to witness the Hunter cry out his choice from the gallows, though that would be tremendously exciting!
Old 05-21-2005, 05:42 PM   #334
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
Our kids from the last game (how many did we have? I'm still in the dark on this one. )
Oh, come on- most people don't forget how many they have until they get to about twelve. We only have three, but we're not about to continue on to twelve, of course. The Inn keeps me quite busy, and the youngest- he's a regular little terror (a perfect clone of me, as you love to say).
Quote:
but very powerful, adept, and quite arrogant
Ah- perfection.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:26 PM   #335
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
Thumbs up

I am a simple farm girl of about 19. I raise sheep and horses. I am not rich, but I get along. My parents are away for a month, and actually trusted me to stay by myself.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:10 PM   #336
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hey Nim, I'm the village Innocent, wanna be best friends!?
always eating chicken?
Old 05-22-2005, 04:39 AM   #337
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

DAY 1 has commenced with a nasty discovery.

The villagers may now discuss their thoughts on who perpetrated the terrible deed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer
What if the Hunter casts his/her vote and then cannot make it onto the internet for another 24 hours.
The Hunter's victim will die in the same post as his or her own death is announced. This may result in a slight delay as and when it occurs, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
Old 05-22-2005, 04:54 AM   #338
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
I remind every player, as Saucepan Man had suggested awhile back, to be in invisible mode.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:03 AM   #339
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Oh, come on- most people don't forget how many they have until they get to about twelve. We only have three, but we're not about to continue on to twelve, of course. The Inn keeps me quite busy, and the youngest- he's a regular little terror (a perfect clone of me, as you love to say).
Ah, so then to add to my character a bit, the phantom and I are married... either that or we just have three kids. Whatever works. Quite frankly, I think that if I've got children (twin girls and a boy, thank you very much) that I need to be happily married. I can only hope that my husband is not a werewolf, because aren't those sorts of things passed on through genetics? How terrible that would be to see my entire family lynched right off the bat.

The phantom and I form our own lovely little mutual admiration society, although we both simply long for the killing of anything evil. So even though we've got the happily in love thing going for us, we'll still have no qualms about killing the other person.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:38 AM   #340
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ooh! Ooh! The mason is Fea and phantom's secret fourth child. They hate him and call him names, while he yearns to one day break up their relationship.

Seriously, let's not lose sight of the game. Can we keep the role playing simple and the fantasies out of it completely? If I have to read another virtual gropefest, I might need to start carding at the door.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:43 AM   #341
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I had a question of clarification and it seems good for me to ask, being as I'm not playing at all. Can the guardian protect themselves or must it be another person?
Old 05-22-2005, 08:57 AM   #342
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Sorry, sorry... just teasing the phantom. I coudn't resist. Blame him... he started it last game.

Now... I do have a question that, although (please don't offend, please don't offend) it may offend people, I feel like asking anyhow.

B-W, as a mod/admin, does that mean you can see things that most members can't? Like who's online even if they're ghosted, stuff like that?
Old 05-22-2005, 09:24 AM   #343
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Cheater, cheater, pumpkin eater!

Admins have the ability to see everything, including the information you mentioned. This ability is not automatic, so it would take intentional cheating on my part to access it. Everyone can rest easy knowing that I will never cheat, and I think The Saucepan Man can vouch for me, as he and I have played several games by E-mail that required complete trust in the integrity of the other player.

So, If I hang you, it won't be because I was going through your PMs. It will be because I had Mithadan go through your PMs and report their content to me. Ha! Just kidding!
Old 05-22-2005, 09:31 AM   #344
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Oh good. After all, I would hate for you (or God forbid, Mithadan) to see my PM plans for taking over the 'Downs per force and... um... oops... probably shouldn't ought to have said that.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:16 AM   #345
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
A note to fellow players

I think my first post in the "Tol-in-Gaurhoth revisited" RPG suffered for being a first-person, past-tense narrative. I think it complicates the RPing too much if other players can see the divergence of what I'm thinking and what I'm saying. From now on, I'll be writing in the style of Fordim's first post: simple and straightforward: everything I write coming from the mouth of Sono the carpenter.

Just thought I'd clear that up here, lest someone else should point out this discrepancy between my first post and future ones.
Son of Númenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 10:41 AM   #346
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
Thumbs up

Quote:
Hey Nim, I'm the village Innocent, wanna be best friends!?
I'd love to Aina.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:41 AM   #347
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

I believe morm that Saucy said the guardian must pick another player to protect.

And yes, I too had considered the scandalous possibilities of constantly using this special power to protect yourself!
Old 05-22-2005, 11:05 AM   #348
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil
Can the guardian protect themselves or must it be another person?
No. Yes.

As I stated earlier, I intended to enhance the role-play aspect of the game rather than turning it into a RPG. So, while short descriptions of what you are doing are OK, try to keep your posts primarily to the discussion at hand. There is no need for he/she said's or quotation marks. Just post what you are saying as you would in a normal post. You can differentiate actions by writing them between *...* if you want. And all players should stay in the vicinity of the others, as all conversations are public and every player should be able to talk to any other(s) at any point. So no going off alone or in small groups.

Remember, there should be no PM'ing between players about the game, except between the Werewolves during the night.

And yes. I can vouch for The Barrow-Wight's integrity. The same, of course, cannot be said for me. That's how I generally manage to beat him in our virtual boardgames.

(only kidding, BW ...)
Old 05-22-2005, 06:40 PM   #349
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Because this is RPG do you think that everybody should turn off their signatures too?
always eating chicken?
Old 05-22-2005, 06:52 PM   #350
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

As I said, this is not an RPG. It is a game of Werewolf with a role-play element (in the sense that you are posting as a character in the Village rather than as yourself). You are not telling a story, but rather trying to work out who the Werewolves are and lynch them (if you are innocent) or trying to kill off the innocent Villagers (if you are a Werewolf). RPG-style posts are very nice n'all, but they will not necessarily help you achieve your objective.

But, no, you do not need to post without sigs (although you can do so if you would prefer).
Old 05-23-2005, 05:23 AM   #351
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Alas poor Fordim!

Rest in peace, brave sheep-shearer. Your heart was in the right place, but -- alas! -- a heart of gold is of little use when the fearful and the foolish listen only to the honeyed tongue.

May the spirit of the departed hover about the heads of those who sought to preserve him...

...and may the heads of those who killed him be consumed by the wolves.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:40 AM   #352
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Fordim may have been a bit of a nitwit, but he didn't deserve lynching. I did my best to stay the rope, but too late...
Old 05-23-2005, 06:19 AM   #353
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Please save your further thoughts on Fordim's unfortunate demise for DAY 2. Unless, of course, you are Fordim. In which case you are dead.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:27 AM   #354
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

Did the Guardian get to protect a player on the first nite? Because if no-one died on the first nite then the first day would be pretty lame.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:43 AM   #355
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

I am sure that, had no one died, sufficient evidence of Werewolf activity could have been given to work the villagers up into a suitably lynch-happy state.

But that's water under the bridge for this game.

And I suggest that we leave any further questions of this nature until the end of this game (unless they require an immediate answer for the purposes of the game), since they have too much potential to influence its course.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:27 AM   #356
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan

Beware of players who attempt to set themselves up as the village sage! Mithalwen may have been innocent this time around, but I'd be willing to bet my fur-covered tail that somebody will try to do that again...

I never set myself up, I was being myself, unlike the person who set me up.... and played the doddering old buffer.. they are the ones to suspect - you were lucky to get the benefit of the doubt when I tried not to be prejudiced by my real life loathing of sycophancy. And I spat my coffee whn you exhorted Oddwen to think about what I would have said if you hadn't killed me!... If anyone had listened to me instead of "Bilbo, oops!, Fea, oops!" it would have been "Fea oops, Kuruharan, Yay!" .... next time will be interesting.....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:24 AM   #357
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
And I spat my coffee whn you exhorted Oddwen to think about what I would have said if you hadn't killed me!
Please allow me to say...HEH!!

Quote:
If anyone had listened to me instead of "Bilbo, oops!, Fea, oops!" it would have been "Fea oops, Kuruharan, Yay!"
Ahh...overconfident still...good. This is not necessarily so. It might have been "Fea, oops! Hey, Mithalwen was the one who wanted to kill her..."

Last edited by Kuruharan; 05-24-2005 at 07:30 AM.
Kuruharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 08:34 AM   #358
bilbo_baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In my front hallway, grabbing my staff, about to head out my door
bilbo_baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to bilbo_baggins
I tell you, that was a fun game, but very annoying when I died.

I wish I could have been faster and joined the game, but whats the point of playing again real soon? Wears out the brain if you ask me...

Hope to catch the next steam roller. BTW, thats a nice time config for the new game.

bilbo
Old 05-25-2005, 06:40 AM   #359
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

And so passes the pure, innocent, and generally wind-blown-snow-like once again. Surely you are learning from these experiences?

I hope you all know who to look at next, and luck be with ye, for forgiveness is divine.

TP, look after our kids.

~The Dead Healer
Old 05-25-2005, 07:16 AM   #360
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Please remember that you should not be making any comments which may influence the game once you are dead.