The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 07:47 AM   #161
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
I think a mytho would be kinda cool. I've never played with one before so it would be neat.

If anyone is wondering what a mythomaniac is, I will explain. On NIGHT 2 the mytho chooses one other player, the mytho then receives the role of that player.

For example. I am a mytho, Glirdan is the Hunter. On NIGHT 2 I PM Malka and give her Glirdy's name. Now the village has 2 Hunters, me and Glirdan.

If that role interests you Malka then I think it would be a fun one to have.

Glirdan 9pmGMT-5 would be 8pm for us.

About my role, I will be "that crazy girl who wants to be a butterfly".
Old 10-14-2005, 01:56 PM   #162
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Thanks for the help on that Wilwa. And I rather like the idea of having a mytho in. That would add more paranoia in the village because you don't know if the mytho will turn into a Wolf or someone good. I like that idea.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:17 PM   #163
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Hmm...

The mytho sounds like a fun idea. I'd actually kinda like to have a Bear in there again, so that I can (hopefully) put the total kills into double digits. Go WereBears!

But both a mytho and a Black Beorning would be a bit much, and I still say it's whatever Modkatoj wants. (Not that I'm currying favor or anything. )
Old 10-14-2005, 02:21 PM   #164
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sleepy Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Pipe Post#888

Waoh! *signs* I want a mytho.
Again waoh! *signs* I want a bear too.

But as Gurthy said its Darth Modka's choice.

EDIT: Post#888----> This has to have a reason!

Last edited by Sleepy Ranger; 10-14-2005 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Post#888
Old 10-14-2005, 02:26 PM   #165
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Well we could have both, if we get enough people to join. I suggest you go out and send PM's to those people who aren't in the phantom's game and personally invite them to this game. Let's get Thin, Kitanna and Folwren so we even it out. Invite some newbies to. That's how I was able to get a few people *coughGurthycoughFolwrencough* And if you need help for ideas in modding, ask previous mods, who aren't in this game. So you can't ask Wilwa or myself. But ask Enca, Holby, SpM and others. They'll be able to help you out.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:40 PM   #166
Márcolië Lamen
Wight

Márcolië Lamen has just left Hobbiton.
I WOULD RATHER LIKE TO HAVE MORE ROLES -MYTHO, -WEREBEAR, SHERIFFS WOULD BE INTERESTING TOO, SINCE I HAVE NEVER PLAYED WITH ANYTHING BEYOND A CURSED VILLAGER. THIS WOULD REQUIRE MORE PEOPLE THOUGH. AND MORE IMPORTANT THAN THAT IS IT IS MALKA'S CHOICE ON WHAT TO DO.

Last edited by Márcolië Lamen; 10-14-2005 at 02:41 PM. Reason: DEATH IS STILL SPEAKING...AGAIN
Old 10-14-2005, 02:49 PM   #167
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sleepy Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Pipe Calculations

The Special Roles
Three Wolves,
One Bear,
One Mytho,
One Cursed villager,
One Hunter,
One Ranger,
One Seer,
Total- 9

Now if we get a total of 15 players we'll have 6 ordinary villagers. 9 with 18. All these roles would be fun to play as in my opinion, of course if you plan to have Shiriffs as well then I daresay there will be too many special roles which would take away their specialness. (And make an innocent special )
Of course if you want to cut down on special roles here are my suggestions-

Remove the Cursed Villager (Mytho will be more of a wild-card and will make things more interesting)
Subbing the rest would be hard so thats all I can come up with.

Of course Darth Modka has the final word and I'll play by what she says.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:03 PM   #168
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I don't think it would be a good idea to have both the mytho and the cursed. So one of the two would be fine.

To have a bear you would need more then 18 players. 20 atleast I would think or else the villagers stand a small chance. So since Malka only wants 18 players I don't think the bear would be a good idea.

For 18 players I think this should make everyone happy:
3 wolves
1 mytho or cursed
1 seer
1 hunter
1 ranger
11 ords

Plus with 11 ords you could easily add in the two shirriffs.

But of course it is completely up to Malka.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:20 PM   #169
tar-ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

tar-ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
I like Wilwarin's suggestion. It seems that more special roles than that would make the game really crazy, unless we had more players. Of course, we could go the other way and try to have no ordinary villagers at all!

Just in case there are any newbies:

Here are the definitions of the special roles (as I understand them--being rather a newbie myself, please don't hesitate to correct me if I get some of this wrong).

The Seer chooses one person to dream about each NIGHT; this person's identity is revealed to the Seer.

The Ranger chooses one person to protect each NIGHT; this person cannot be killed by wolves while protected.

The Hunter chooses one person to kill at the time of his/her death.

The Cursed Villager does not die when attacked by a werewolf; instead, he/she becomes a werewolf.

The Mythomaniac chooses one person on the second NIGHT. Thereafter, the Mythomaniac takes on the same role as that person.

The Shirriffs are two innocent villagers, each of whom is aware that the other is innocent.

The WereBear (same as Black Beorning???) kills one person each NIGHT, independently of the wolves.

The Cobbler is an innocent villager who nonetheless wants the wolves to win.

Have I forgotten any? Have I horribly misrepresented any? Thanks in advance for your corrections.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:25 PM   #170
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Quote:
The Cobbler is an innocent villager who nonetheless wants the wolves to win.
Which makes him far from innocent.

But yeah those are pretty much all of them.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:24 PM   #171
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I can assure you from experience that you want to make sure you've got several more ordos than you do gifteds. If not, by the end of the game everyone will be identified and it takes that final-death-paranoia away entirely.

And the Mytho is a blast, but think carefully if you want one. Any choice can mean absurd swaying of the odds for either side. In both games with one, that's exactly what happened. Mith's game with an extra wolf (fantastic job again, Kath), and my own with a pair of Seers (nice choice Firefoot). The latter ensured a village victory, the former made the wolves' job easier. If you want a truly close and addictive game, you might want to opt out of using the Mytho. If you don't mind the wildcard aspect of "will the wolves get an upper hand, or will the villagers?", mythos are fun as heck.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:30 AM   #172
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Well, where is our Modka? She's been missing in action for awhile now. I wonder where she could be????
Old 10-15-2005, 12:02 PM   #173
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dûm

AbercrombieOfRohan has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to AbercrombieOfRohan
Tolkien

Our dear Modka has recently taken a leave of absence (couchherboyfriendcameuptospendtheweekendcough) I'm not sure whe she's starting the game, but I'll ask her and get back to you on it. Fear not! She'll pull through in the end.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:04 PM   #174
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
I'm still trying to catch-up on things but if it's not too late, I'd like to join up and if it is, then 'oh well' to me.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:46 PM   #175
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Quote:
Our dear Modka has recently taken a leave of absence (couchherboyfriendcameuptospendtheweekendcough) I'm not sure whe she's starting the game, but I'll ask her and get back to you on it. Fear not! She'll pull through in the end.
I see!! That sounds like an excuse I'd use! But I'm not fearing, I was just wonderin where she was because she hasn't posted for awhile, sooooo....

Holby, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to join. She wants at most 18 players and we only have 8. Besides, we need to have more experienced players in here.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:53 PM   #176
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
I can assure you from experience that you want to make sure you've got several more ordos than you do gifteds. If not, by the end of the game everyone will be identified and it takes that final-death-paranoia away entirely.

And the Mytho is a blast, but think carefully if you want one. Any choice can mean absurd swaying of the odds for either side. .
I agree about the ratio of gifteds to non gifteds and would say that the mythomaniac hs benefits especially in larger games or where you are unsure about having an extra wolf. I would point out that Kath had guessed morm was a wolf when she chose. The mytho mane could be limited by delaying their role change or by making them choose their "twin" before the game.. but I still have an affection for the role.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 10-15-2005, 02:53 PM   #177
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleManPoet
A List of Medieval Occupations

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Granted, the games aren't always set in a Medieval time, but Middle Earth is often the general place for our version, so I thought I'd help out a little by offering a list I found in a great historical fiction book:

Wheelwright
Trader in crockery and pewter
Ironmonger
Fish seller
Cordwainer
Butcher
Baker
Cloth-seller
Tailor
Silversmith (intriguing possibilities in a werewolf game?)
Carpenter
Leatherworker
Bellows-maker
Glover
Hatter
Yarnmaker
Rabbitseller
Spicer
Greengrocer
Garlic seller (again, interesting possibilities?)
Poultry merchant
Cooper (barrel maker)
Coal seller
Salt merchant
Oatmeal seller
Hog dealer
Wool merchant
Carter
Mason
Shepherd
Coppersmith
Money lender
Cheese seller
Tanner
Aulnager (exacter of fees and fines from the local feudal lord)

There are probably more, but this list was all in one place, so I thought I'd offer it.

I left out the sacred professions as they are not appropo to Middle Earth.
I brought this over here for some ideas.
I'm a she, I'll be a tanner.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:25 PM   #178
tar-ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

You forgot Harlot!
Old 10-15-2005, 04:34 PM   #179
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

I believe this is our list of players:

Bergil, m. A 'Superstitious Guy.'
Rune Son of Bjarne, Traveling Cheese Juggler
Wilwarin538, f. that crazy girl who wants to be a butterfly
Glirdan, m. Baker.
WaynetheGoblin. Scientist.
Gurthang. Peddler.
Sleepy Ranger. Explorer from out of town who gets stuck in Lower Tadfield.
Sotty. School teacher OR Innkeeper (choose one, please!)
Tar-ancalime. Crone.
Márcolië Lamen, unknown. DEATH.
Eonwe. Friendly undertaker.
Holbytlass f. tanner

So Glirdan we have more then 8, we have 12.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:33 PM   #180
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dûm

I believe Modkatoj plans on starting the game Monday, so there is still plenty of time for people to join up if they wish to.
Old 10-15-2005, 06:36 PM   #181
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbercrombieOfRohan
I believe Modkatoj plans on starting the game Monday, so there is still plenty of time for people to join up if they wish to.

Really? Great, that is such an uplifter!

I've been trying to find a slot in these profound games and have been baffled by how fast they disappear. Also of course, how I end up late to anything on the downs...

Anyways, sorry for my lack of knowledgable course in this matter, but I'm guessing if a person wishes to join, they must first chose an open occupation/role? If this too broad of an understanding, it would be quite lovely if you could explain to clear up the stupidity that resides within my head.

~ Aesthete
Old 10-15-2005, 07:04 PM   #182
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE Ka
Anyways, sorry for my lack of knowledgable course in this matter, but I'm guessing if a person wishes to join, they must first chose an open occupation/role? If this too broad of an understanding, it would be quite lovely if you could explain to clear up the stupidity that resides within my head.

~ Aesthete
I am not sure I understant what your asking, but it sounds right.
Just post your occupation and maybe gender, name(role) and then you should be considert a participant in this game.

Old 10-15-2005, 07:32 PM   #183
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Mmmmmm, it wasn't in my plans to join another game, but I hate to stop playing after living only one day in the last one. So, if there's still room I would like to join this one. Of course I will gladly give up a space for someone who has not yet played.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:03 PM   #184
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Well by the looks of it, we got about 14 players now Wilwa!

Kitanna, I understand completely why you want to play again. You deserve another chance after that. Besides, we have room for about four more people because Modkatoj's limit was 18 I believe.

Ka, as Rune previously stated, occupation means exactly that. What type of work would you like to have such as poet, innkeeper and other such things. Just look at Holby's list of occupations from the middle ages if you can't come up with one. Hope that clears things up.

And let me say that I'm glad that a few of you who were in the last game decided to play in this one. I can't wait to play with you.

Wilwa, Wayne, Kitanna and Bergil (even though you got lynched on day one Bergil), I'm glad that I get an oppurtunity to play with you all once again. Best of luck to you.

Gurthang, glad you came back and I can't wait to play with a fellow Black Beorning.

I'm sad to say that this will be the last game I'm in until at least December so I'm going to do my best to stay alive as long as possible. Can't wait to play!!
Old 10-16-2005, 03:06 PM   #185
Hiriel
Wight

Hiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Hiriel
Shield

Hullo! Just checking in on this thread to see if there's room for one more player before it gets underway. I'd like to give Junior another go, if I could, this time as a connoisseur of pointy objects. If not, hope ya'll have fun with it.

4 8 15 16 23 42 ~Proud Lostaway
Old 10-16-2005, 03:32 PM   #186
sotty
Pile O'Bones

sotty has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to sotty
Thumbs up

I'll stick with school teacher, and thanks for all of you making me feel welcome, and epically to tar-ancalime for making that list of roles. A newbie like me is grateful for the clarification!
Old 10-16-2005, 04:14 PM   #187
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Well I might as well update the list. It'll make Malk's job easier when she comes back.

Glirdan, m. Baker.
Gurthang. Peddler.
Sotty. School teacher
Tar-ancalime. Crone.
Holbytlass f. tanner
Hiriel connoisseur of pointy objects
THE Ka
Kitanna

So that gives us 15! Three more to go!
Old 10-16-2005, 04:52 PM   #188
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Thanks Wilwa. You should be proclaimed honorary mod. Anyhoo, I also think that there should be a general consensus about whether or not you lot want to play with a mytho before the mod reappears. Just a quick jes or no about the role will suffice, thank you. (Keep in mind it's still up to the Mod to veto this choice, though she's fair...)
Old 10-16-2005, 05:18 PM   #189
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Quote:
Thanks Wilwa. You should be proclaimed honorary mod. Anyhoo, I also think that there should be a general consensus about whether or not you lot want to play with a mytho before the mod reappears. Just a quick jes or no about the role will suffice, thank you. (Keep in mind it's still up to the Mod to veto this choice, though she's fair...)
I vote ++yes for the mytho, because I've never played with one before. What say you?
Old 10-16-2005, 05:23 PM   #190
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Mytho sounds like fun, I will vote ++yes (but I guess it is up to the mod in the end)

I will ofcourse be a male in the game.

Last edited by Rune Son of Bjarne; 10-16-2005 at 05:45 PM. Reason: after LOTR surviver, you should think i had learnet to vote !
Old 10-16-2005, 05:23 PM   #191
Bergil
Wight

Bergil has just left Hobbiton.
Phew!!!!!!!!!!!

I was worried you might have started while I was in Montreal. I can tell you from experiance that that would stink.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:43 PM   #192
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

I vote ++yes for mytho. It would definetly add something interesting to the game.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:46 PM   #193
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

The mytho is fun, I say use it.

And I suppose my occupation shall be historian.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:36 PM   #194
tar-ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

++ Mytho

But as someone suggested above, I think that ought to entail --Cursed.

Otherwise we could end up with five wolves on our hands!
Old 10-16-2005, 06:46 PM   #195
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

I agree Tar-A. I assume that everyone else who voted Mytho means that there should be no cursed?
Old 10-16-2005, 06:59 PM   #196
malkatoj
Wight

malkatoj has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to malkatoj
Well, I'm back...

Actually, I was here the whole time, the point is that the boyfriend is no more.

Thanks a lot for the list, Wilwarin. I'm reposting it so that I can go and edit it when I get more information.

Glirdan, m. Baker.
Gurthang. Peddler.
Sotty. School teacher
Tar-ancalime. Crone.
Holbytlass, f. tanner.
Hiriel. Connoisseur of pointy objects.
THE Ka. People Covered in Fish (until you choose...or you can stay like this, I quite like it.)
Kitanna. Historian.

There is still space for three more people. If you join, we need an Antichrist for a role, please consider it.

Roles will be:
3 werewolves
1 seer
1 ranger
1 hunter
1 mythomaniac

If there's anything I'm forgetting, please tell me. Also, on NIGHT 1, (my death) I get a name from the Seer, right? But nobody else.

One other thing for you all to decide. I'd like to start the game tomorrow as I definitely have enough people, but since I'm planning on going with the 9 GMT-5. Unfortunately, I have a fencing class that gets out at 9 GMT-5 and I won't be home until 10. I feel it would be very unprofessional to have the backup post the first death, so I think that, as much as I hate waiting, starting on Tuesday would be, in general, a better idea. However, if you villagers just want to get it started, I'm willing to work something out with Abercrombie or have someone else (who may or may not have been visiting this weekend) log in as me and post the death, though I'm not sure I can trust him to *not* mess up.

If you want to start tomorrow despite my dilemma, registration will close at 4:00 GMT-5 tomorrow. If you are okay with starting on Tuesday, then it'll be same time, but on Tuesday, so I can get the roles all set.

Thanks for the patience while I was gone.
~Modkatoj

Last edited by malkatoj; 10-16-2005 at 07:23 PM. Reason: adding to list
Old 10-16-2005, 07:14 PM   #197
Kitanna
Child of the West

Shield

occupation = Historian
Old 10-16-2005, 07:32 PM   #198
tar-ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tuesday is fine, but I just want to clarify the time thing (it's hard to get my mind around sometimes):

Will the first death be posted at 9:00PM Tuesday night, GMT-5?
Old 10-16-2005, 07:45 PM   #199
malkatoj
Wight

malkatoj has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to malkatoj
Dark-Eye

Quote:
Will the first death be posted at 9:00PM Tuesday night, GMT-5?
Yes it will. The first death, that is, being mine. The first villager death will then be on Wednesday.

A few more things:
-Double Lynchings
-Retractable Votes
-Punishment for those who don't post (death after two DAYs?)

Discuss... I want to know what you guys want in the game so you're not always annoyed at the rules.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:49 PM   #200
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

A bit selfish of me because I love the game so much......
I'm assuming you're starting with a night, why not start on Monday and you write up your death when you get in. Even if it is an hour or two after 9:00p.m., the rest of the game can still be set at 9:00. And the wolves will already know who they are and can start to P.M. each other.

What say you all?
EDIT: cross-posted with the moddess-goddess

A few more things:
-Double Lynchings YAY
-Retractable Votes YAY
-Punishment for those who don't post (death after two DAYs?) YAY

Last edited by Holbytlass; 10-16-2005 at 07:55 PM.
Closed Thread