The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2006, 12:38 PM   #121
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Well, with another great week just around the corner, I thought I'd better make a few* announcements.
I'm at university studying Imaginative Writing and for one of my modules, I have to write a screen play about anything. I've begun work on a screen play based on The Phantom and Alien.
So... here it is, tell me what you think...

I know it's riddled with spelling and grammar errors... but try and ignore those...

* I say 'a few', I, of course, mean one.
Attached Files
File Type: txt PandA Script 001.txt (11.1 KB, 1021 views)

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 10-22-2006 at 01:25 PM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 01:08 PM   #122
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots

Quote:
I have to write a screen play about anything. I've begun work on a screen play based on The Phantom and Alien.
My, I say it's your best work yet. But maybe that's just because of the lightbulbs, they're quite tasty.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:06 PM   #123
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Thumbs up

Truly brilliant, Goomba.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 06:11 PM   #124
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae
Truly brilliant, Goomba.
Agreed.

Say...can I have your autograph when you're rich and famous?
Old 10-23-2006, 01:56 AM   #125
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel
Say...can I have your autograph when you're rich and famous?
Rich AND famous? I don't know. I might one day be rich, or maybe famous... but both? I don't know about that...

Anyway, hello once again.
I think that Photobucket hates my newspaper, it keeps blurring them slightly... I think they're still readable but not as good as they could be. They're also too big to be attachments...
But here is Week 17... Dead Good.

And now... Two folks who need no introduction...

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 10-23-2006 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:23 AM   #126
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Ha, it seems Alien had too much candy corn...

Quote:
I think that Photobucket hates my newspaper, it keeps blurring them slightly...
Have you tried tinypic? I've used it on a few documents and it doesn't blur them, though, tinypic doesn't really allow you to re-look up your images, unless you save it's number and link. Oh, and the name has nothing to do with 'tiny' or 'small tiny things only', it does a rather nice job with large ones. I don't know why they named it that, but oh well.

~ Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 08:01 AM   #127
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE Ka
Have you tried tinypic? I've used it on a few documents and it doesn't blur them, though, tinypic doesn't really allow you to re-look up your images, unless you save it's number and link. Oh, and the name has nothing to do with 'tiny' or 'small tiny things only', it does a rather nice job with large ones. I don't know why they named it that, but oh well.
Good thinkin' Ka. I've just done that and the blurring is gone! Gone, gone! We are free!

Let's just hope The Saucepan man doesnt hate me for this weeks P&A...
Old 10-23-2006, 08:44 AM   #128
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thumbs up

Loving the cameo appearance of one of my fave bands - The Pixies.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:04 PM   #129
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Culture:

Films...

Once again we delve into the unfathomable depths of insanity and cross the boarder into Mordor! Yes, that's right folks, Assigned to Mordor is back and this time it's bigger, longer, and more controversial than ever! Fea's take on the fascinating story of a group of diplomats, wizards and assorted busy bodies (including a Blarog wearing a tie) is an interesting one. If it weren't for the character of a stupid little Dwarf, it'd be a good show.

Old 10-23-2006, 02:55 PM   #130
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
I'm really not stealing anything out of Anguirel's pocketses. I promise. The rumors are a complete falsehood.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:01 PM   #131
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Good thinkin' Ka.
No problem, photobucket used to make me really annoyed and then accuse my artwork for being rubbish. Obviously, photobucket had to go...

~ Ka

Last edited by THE Ka; 10-25-2006 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Because I do not have enough caffine in the morning... gah, i'm so aloof sometimes...
Old 10-23-2006, 04:19 PM   #132
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Quote:
I'm really not stealing anything out of Anguirel's pocketses. I promise. The rumors are a complete falsehood.
Subliminal messaging hey?
Old 10-23-2006, 04:56 PM   #133
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glirdan
Subliminal messaging hey?
Do I subliminally message people?
Old 10-25-2006, 03:05 AM   #134
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

No wonder that hangover was bad; I don't remember any of that!
Old 10-29-2006, 03:01 AM   #135
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Hay, Eomer, it was only after writing that headline that I realised that Porridge is supposed to be the Scottish national breakfast. Weird!

Anyway, folks. It's time for the big vote! Who do you want to win in a fight between The Phantom and Alien? Not who would win, but who do you want to win.

VOTE ON THE POLL

In other news, with Christmas just around the corner, The Downer is looking for more journalists to write some articles for the front page as Hookbill the Goomba becomes more pressed for time.
If you have a story, PM it to me. Try and keep it between 100 - 150 words long or I may have to edit it down a tad.
Thanks folks!

Also, it has come to the attension of The Downer that a rival Newspaper has come on the scene. The Editor would like to remind readers of The Downer that tabloyd newspapers very rarely give you the truth, as our paper does. In face, if you look at the front page of this weeks 'The Barrow' you will see what I mean.

I expect it to go down the pan very quickly.

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 11-05-2006 at 04:18 AM.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:17 PM   #136
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Good stuff Hookbill, just like always!
Old 10-30-2006, 02:09 AM   #137
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

The grey rain curtain of last week is pulled away and then, you see it! The next week, with all of it's specialties and whatnot!

And, who could forget, the comedy duo of the year! Well, sort of.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:11 PM   #138
High King Fingolfin
Shade of Carn Dûm

High King Fingolfin has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Ahh, the diagram brings up bad memories of science class last year.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:57 AM   #139
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Valesse has just left Hobbiton.
Something for the Sudoku page:

The Top Posters:
Old 10-31-2006, 09:38 AM   #140
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valesse
Something for the Sudoku page:

The Top Posters:
i found my name already... 10th line from the top
Old 10-31-2006, 06:59 PM   #141
The Elf-warrior
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Elf-warrior is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via Skype™ to The Elf-warrior
Prime Minister Sued for Funeral Remarks!

by Elf-Warriorus Diminutus

The family of the late Member of Parliment Jahn Blacc has finally filed suit against Prime Minister Titus Decius for shouting, "This is boring!" during the MP's funeral and then walking out and making nasty faces at the TV cameras. An overnight Downer/BBC/Barrow poll said 31% to 30% that the lawsuit was frivolous with 39% saying they either had no opinion or were undecided. The suit alleged that this conduct caused extreme emotional distress, which allegedly caused the MP's sister, Mary Muttler's angina to act up. Decius has refused to apologize and denies causing any physical distress. "Since when did we all turn into babies," the Prime Minister asked at a press conference. He also said he would never stop being obnoxious in the cause of truth. "This conduct goes against all the strictures of our society," Judith Blacc, the late MP's wife, said in a press release. "It goes against civility, decency, fairness, and bipartisanship. We hope the court grants our humble petition."
Old 11-06-2006, 03:37 AM   #142
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

It's that time once more... So without further ado...

But what's more, a special guest appearence from Diamond18. I ased her look on her old Daffy Duck avartar (because I'm no good at drawing people and I didn't want anyone to notice). I made a few modifications to make her look more unique and that... So yes.

Old 11-08-2006, 08:28 AM   #143
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
"... The Ka celebrates 100th birthday this wednesday."
It's true, I like the challenge of youth.

Thank you for showing, I've always wanted to know what it would be like to share a spotlight with a crazed gandalf, and other noted varieties of eccentricies. I'm honored.

~ Ka
Old 11-08-2006, 11:12 AM   #144
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

I hope you won't be offended when I say that I only mention birthdays in the paper when I'm really stuck for ideas.
All the same, I hope it brightens some days when I do.

Anyway, some of you may have read my script for a Phantom and Alien screen play. Well, I've made some adjustments, actually put a story line in and added a few extra things. It's in a completely different order to the first one, so enjoy!

It usually helps to just say 'open' rather than 'save' if you are asked. Unless you want my rubbish in your computer.
Attached Files
File Type: txt PandA Scropt 002.txt (10.8 KB, 1022 views)
Old 11-08-2006, 12:24 PM   #145
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Let me add my two-cents here...

The Scientific Downer:Your best source of scientertainment

So, here’s the situation. There has been much discussion and positioning and arguing and fighting and yada yada about The Rings Of Power. Yeah, they look good… yeah, they do give you super-human(or elven, or maiar, or dwarven) powers but… what are they made of?

Thanks to the advances in technology we have been able to run a series of tests with some amazing results.

The One Ring
Obviously, the first step in analyzing just about anything is, well, getting it. We talked to the elves but they kept on their secretive ways. We talked to the dwarves and all we achieved was to be chased out of Moria by a Balrog. On second thought, maybe those creatures were a bit too ugly, even for dwarves. We were a little frustrated, and just then the unlikeliest of things happened. A Halfling came knocking at my door with THE Ring of power. No, wait, that’s inaccurate. I knocked a Halfling out and took him through my door. Well, the point is, he had THE Ring of power, and I stole it. Then I replaced it with a similar looking ring that had belonged to some ill-fated Dunedain of the north. Poor little guy, I think he went all the way to Mordor to destroy it. And Sauron DID perish. Talk about placebo effect.

So, we had this ring in our possession and decided to run some tests. With the help of Alatar BSc MSc and Lhunadarwen BSc, I Farael BSc MSc PhD AbC, ZYX, LON, GDESI, GNATION, have done extensive research in the matter of this ring of power.

First we compared it’s melting temperature to that of the most common gold alloys. It didn’t melt, thus we assume it is Not made of gold.

Then we proceeded to compare it’s melting temperature to that of higher melting compounds, such as plutonium, uranium and my favourite, ununoctium. The ring, again, did not melt, thus we concluded that it is not made of any known metal. By the way, the third barrow off of Downers Street North at Ringbearer Ave. is now radioactive. Precautions should be taken when walking in the vicinity.

After proving the One ring is not made of metal, the next logical assumption was to test to see if it was a non-metal. We tried dissolving it in both polar and non polar solvents, we tried combining it with other non-metals and their Ions and finally we tried smashing it, stepping on it, biting it and throwing it against the walls of my barrow. The last few methods were not scientifically motivated, but we were rather frustrated.

After exhausting all our ideas, it was Lhuna who proposed we run the Ring through a gas-chromatograph. I must say I laughed at her, if we cannot melt it, how could it be a gas? But using her powers of persuasion she convinced me to try.

Well, guess what happened? If you are expecting me to say that it worked, you really are a “the glass is half-full” kind of person. No, it didn’t work, but it lead Alatar to make the following, reasonable conclusion.

Since the Ring is not made of gold, or any other metal or alloy, it is not a non-metal nor a gas, we conclude that, in spite of evidence pointing in the contrary, the Ring does not exist at all

Thus, you all need no longer concern yourselves with such trivial matters. As for that little gold band that we now know does not exist, even though I have it in my pocket, I shall keep it. After all, it came to me… it’s mine… My Precioussss…..

Farael, of the many designations
Old 11-08-2006, 01:51 PM   #146
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thumbs up

I'm a Detective Inspector now! Oooh!

I think Helen Mirren can consider her days as TV's most famous DI numbered as DI Lalwende prepares to take the lead in Prime Suspect 157.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:27 PM   #147
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
I am so ashamed!! I turned to drink and let a fellow B-Der be condemed to jail!! What have I done!? Oh! That's right! I put a murderer in jail!! Maybe I'll stick to drinking!!

Nice story Hook!
Old 11-08-2006, 02:53 PM   #148
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Maybe that expalins why I was not interviewed on my departure from ME idol....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:55 PM   #149
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

All I can say is that's the last time I'll rely on you Glirdy... (& not just cause I'll be locked up for the rest of my life either)
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 03:27 PM   #150
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
I hope you won't be offended when I say that I only mention birthdays in the paper when I'm really stuck for ideas.
No worries. Most of my friends forgot my birthday today anyways. It is what happens when you share a day with post-mid-term election craze, a solar eclipse, and berlin wall memorials.
It is just nice to have a hello and such on your birthday.

~ Ka
Old 11-08-2006, 04:24 PM   #151
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
I think Helen Mirren can consider her days as TV's most famous DI numbered as DI Lalwende prepares to take the lead in Prime Suspect 157.
As long as you remain in that rank.

It was interesting that when I handed in that draft of P&A, my lecturer read it and, after some snickering, told me, "I like this Phantom guy. He seems like a nice chap." Oh, if only he knew!
Old 11-13-2006, 03:24 AM   #152
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Monday brings another edition of The Downer. And, seeing as it is Monday, I thought that I'd do just that.

And, of course, the increasingly unpopular...

Old 11-14-2006, 03:26 PM   #153
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farael
No, it didn’t work, but it lead Alatar to make the following, reasonable conclusion.

Since the Ring is not made of gold, or any other metal or alloy, it is not a non-metal nor a gas, we conclude that, in spite of evidence pointing in the contrary, the Ring does not exist at all.
Farael, I think that you may taken my comments out of context, and so I will supply the full text here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar
"Since the Ring is not made of gold, or any other metal or alloy, it is not a non-metal nor a gas, we conclude that, in spite of evidence pointing in the contrary, the Ring does not exist at all...or at least as far as we can discover at this time. Additonal resources, kindly donated, may help us uncover more about this mystery. Please make sure that all donations of stewed mutton are well-cooked.

Note that this conclusion was further bolstered by the fact that Gondorian officials stated, in a legal decree in the King's Own Hand, that if said Ring were to exist, that it would be the sole property of the King and that we would have to hand...er...surrender it to said sovereign immediately regardless of personal cost, injury or loss not excluding accidental death and/or dismemberment."
Hope that clears things up.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:55 PM   #154
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye Special Report from The Downer

PERFECT POSTING AVERAGE DISCOVERED

According to a study released today by the Organization for Posting Improvement, the perfect number of posts per day that all Downers should strive for is between 1.19 and 1.33.

"Go any higher than 1.33, and you run into problems," says lead researcher Kuruharan. "Your posts lose their novelty, and people get sick of seeing you pop up on so many threads. Remember- absence makes the heart grow fonder."

Assistant researcher alatar agreed, but reminded everyone that there was also a low side that you should not fall below. "Even though you don't want to post more than 1.33 ppd, you don't want to fall below 1.19 ppd. You need to post enough to gain and maintain solid name recognition and be an active force on the Downs. And you also want to put posts in more than one area. Spread your posts through the Books, the Movies, and Mirth to be sure that you are having an impact."

Another research team member, the phantom, added that the Organization for Posting Improvement was thrilled to have completed the study for the betterment of the Downs. "We've finally determined what the perfect posting average is, so now the only thing left to do is get the word out so people can begin rethinking their posting practices." The fourth member of the research team, Lalaith, said that she was just happy that the time consuming project was finally over.

The findings of the study have come under fire from some. Just two hours after the results were released, several members of the high-posting community spoke out against the study. The Saucepan Man in particular rebuked the research strongly, calling it "slanted" and "obviously biased", pointing out that the recommended range, 1.19-1.33, seems to have been based directly upon the posts per day of the researchers involved in the project.

When asked about this charge, lead researcher Kuruharan stated that the posting averages of himself, alatar, Lalaith, and the phantom, (1.19, 1.33, 1.28, and 1.28 respectively) didn't factor in at all, and that the results matching their own posting counts was merely a coincidence. "And really, can you take Sauce seriously on this issue?" asked the phantom. "He's a known high-posting extremist, averaging 5.38 posts per day. He's even worse than mormegil (5.35 ppd)- though at least he's not as extreme as Firefoot (6.16 ppd). She's just plain ridiculous."

The high-posting community is expected to start work on their own counter-study in the coming weeks. Thus far there has been no word from the low-posting community, though that is certainly not surprising.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:10 AM   #155
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

For Week 21 I thought I'd steer away from the norm and have a newspaper...

And, who could forget the comedy duo who are, I'm reliably informed, going to go big in Japan soon.

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 11-26-2006 at 02:42 AM.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:46 AM   #156
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Films:

This week, the phantom takes on the roll of James Pond in a whirlwind of adventure and espionage. With high wire stunts and ridiculous acting, this film has everything to offer for someone who doesnt want to see a good film. Yes folks, despite all the hype, we have here a film that was vastly ruined by the presence of the actors, sets and sounds.
For your own good, avoid this film like the pleg.

Old 11-27-2006, 03:33 AM   #157
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

We apologize to readers of last Weeks Downer, due, once again, to a printing error, last weeks edition was full of water.

This week the phantom has done the mini headlines...

But, lest we forget, the comedy duo of the month... well, not really...

Old 11-27-2006, 03:36 AM   #158
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion

That myth has been busted by Myth Busters of Discovery Channel

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:41 AM   #159
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerenIstarion
That myth has been busted by Myth Busters of Discovery Channel
I know. I wanted to write in to them saying "Stop ruining my jokes!"
Old 11-27-2006, 02:53 PM   #160
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

So I guess I might as well stop trying to drop pennies and assorted office supplies on chavs' heads out of my office window?

Are you planning a Christmas TV supplement Hookbill?