The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2006, 03:03 PM   #161
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
Are you planning a Christmas TV supplement Hookbill?
Ah, don't you worry, Lal, I have big plans for Christmas. Including a special Three part Phantom and Alien that I've just started work on. Moreover, you can expect a special Front Page as well as another rather big surprise!

This reminds me, Does anyone know when the Barrow Downs official 'Birthday' is? I've got some rather big plans for that also.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:20 PM   #162
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
This reminds me, Does anyone know when the Barrow Downs official 'Birthday' is? I've got some rather big plans for that also.
I believe it is the 1st of May, but my memory is not the surest thing to trust.

~ Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:19 AM   #163
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Ka's right - the Barrow-Downs forum was "born" on May 1, 2000.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 03:07 PM   #164
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
How sad. . .I fear I will never be able to celebrate it then

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:52 PM   #165
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Ha! that is my older brothers birthday... not the year of course.

so from now on the Barrow-Downs is a mean older brother that lifts weights and refuses to let me play his Playstation.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:26 AM   #166
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Okay, sorry it's a bit later than usual. I'm not feeling well today but I managed to force myself out of bed, thinking, 'You can't lie around in bed! You've got a Newspaper to run!'
So...

And, the duo we all know and loathe...

Old 12-04-2006, 01:53 PM   #167
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

I'm disappointed by this biased coverage. I would say I expect better from the Downer but, quite frankly, I don't. Do not think I'll stop at editing posts, Hookbill; given the power I'll soon be clamping down on free press.

Though, the Phantom & Alien is seriously my favourite comic strip ever.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:29 PM   #168
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I see that The Metro have picked up on this headline story a day late (as is their habit). However they have given it the following headline:

Law Brought To Bear On Hairy Terror!

I'll get me coat...

I've now lived in Yorkshire for almost as long as I lived in Lancashire. This is not a right state of affairs. They'll be cuttin' off me black pudding rations soon.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:02 AM   #169
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Ho ho ho! Just looking back over this thread and I thought I should post this:

Look how short Phantom used to be.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:07 PM   #170
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots

Quote:
His style in clothing has also changed. For all we know, he could be wearing platform boots or GASP! High heels.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:44 AM   #171
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba

It's all them 'nourishing' Gregg's meat pies he's been scoffing. I've noticed he's been growing a fine pot belly lately too.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:28 AM   #172
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up Game-Warden to the Events Rhino

Okay folks. The Christmas preparations begin here, I'm afraid.
But first, lets get down to business...

Pending the court case with the Downs' society for the prevention of cruelty to animals, here is The Phantom and Alien...

But that's not all! Oh no. For, with Christmas just three weeks away, 'we' here at The Downer have decided to go one step further with our Christmas celebrations.
Yes, folks, here, for the first time, is the script to the upcoming TV special, 'Prime Suspect 409' staring the Barrow Downs very own 'Lalwende' and 'Eomer'.
Part one is today, Two next Monday and the concluding episode will be on Christmas day!

Oh, and do remember this is a serious Newspaper:

Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: txt Prime Suspect 1.txt (17.2 KB, 1184 views)

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 12-17-2006 at 02:35 AM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:00 PM   #173
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Thumbs up

Hehe! I like me being a right slave driver! And I'm quite taken with the zebra pulled 'police car'.

What is davem's dark secret? Did Glirdan really do it? Is Tom aware that his dear wife looks like a piece of cheese? Tune in next week to find out...

Old 12-12-2006, 03:54 PM   #174
Damrod
Animated Skeleton

Damrod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Damrod
White Tree Damrod Presents...

...The unveiling of a New Comic Strip for the leading and single newspaper on the Downs! The Vaguely Amusing Exploits of Damrod features tales of adventure, with engaging storylines comparable to The Phantom and Alien, and the artistic brilliance of a bitmap document. It stars Damrod (the only one heroic enough to fill this role), who deserts his post to seek...something. Perhaps enlightenment. Some people might ask, Isn't this just a rip-off of "The P+A"? Or, Who is this self-promoting newb? Those people are communists. My comic is awesome.

This week: After months of searching, Damrod finds the sole remaining Balrog in middle-earth, to ask the ultimate question... "Do you have wings?"

Next Week(or, depending on how the pilot goes, never) : Damrod, on how cave trolls are sissies.

Edit: Ooh, that doesn't look good. I may be forced to unveil The Vaguely Amusing Exploits of Dormad, Damrod's Friendlier Twin Brother.
Edit 2: Curse you, faulty image-hosting site! I don't want a red x!
Edit 3: "Imposter"? That's rather harsh, Mr. Goomba.

Last edited by Damrod; 12-12-2006 at 04:31 PM.
Damrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 04:10 PM   #175
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
The unveiling of a New Comic Strip for the leading and single newspaper on the Downs
Lets see what Alien thinks of this...

Sorry, Damrod, but, well, as much could be expected.

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 12-12-2006 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:24 PM   #176
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Ahhh! I didn't do it! I swear!!! Don't arrest me!! I want my mommy!! I mean...uh...My lawyer!! I want my lawyer!! Ya, that's it.
Glirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 02:29 AM   #177
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Once again, Wights of the Downs, it's time for The Downer Christmas celebrations. But first, the news...

And now... The moment about three of you have been waiting for.The Special 3-part-er Phantom And Alien!
Part one will be today. Part Two on Friday and the conclusion will be on Christmas day!

But not only that, here is Episode two of Lalwende's Prime Suspect 407...
Attached Files
File Type: txt Prime Suspect 2.txt (14.9 KB, 862 views)
Old 12-18-2006, 01:11 PM   #178
Gil-Galad

Yes Hookbill...when do i get to be a mod?
Old 12-18-2006, 04:24 PM   #179
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Oh why did Alien have to become my Lawyer!? Why oh why!? If he doesn't win, he eats me! If I anger him, he eats me!! AHH!!!! What to do, what to do...Ah!! He's already bitting my leg!! Gah!! Phantom! Get thi pest off of me!!
Old 12-22-2006, 05:42 AM   #180
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Ah! I almost forgot! Sorry folks, but I'm afraid that The Phantom and Alien Christmas special Part 2 is here...

Watch out for part 3 on Christmas Day!
Old 12-22-2006, 06:43 AM   #181
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Yay!!! I'm a cartoon character! What's more, one that makes The Phantom drop his brew!

That's like getting an early Christmas present!

Old 12-22-2006, 05:41 PM   #182
Gil-Galad

all you need now is me to come in again as a guest-character to save the day... or ruin it horribly and run away...either way... i better be in the christmas special
Old 12-23-2006, 11:12 AM   #183
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots

Quote:
all you need now is me to come in again as a guest-character to save the day... or ruin it horribly and run away...either way... i better be in the christmas special
Pfft. No comic strip is complete with out the presence of the Magnificent Morai! But don't push yourself too hard Hookbilly, I can wait.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:41 AM   #184
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Ah, I'm giving nothing away about the last part!

Although, due to popular demand, I shall be putting more cameos in later episodes.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:59 AM   #185
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

A merry messy Christmas to you all! Look at me, here on Christmas day, with nothing better to do than to post a fake newspaper for the amusement of people I've never met.

We've got a lot to get through so let's start with the front page news...

Also, especially for Christmas, we have a special...

TV Supplement!

And who could forget, the conclusion to THE PHANTOM and ALIEN Christmas special...

And last, but by no means least, the conclusion to Lalwende's Prime Suspect 407...
Attached Files
File Type: txt Prime Suspect 3.txt (15.3 KB, 846 views)

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 12-25-2006 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:55 AM   #186
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Okay, let me get this straight, I did do it? Cuz if I did...why don't I remember anything??
Glirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 09:15 PM   #187
High King Fingolfin
Shade of Carn Dűm

High King Fingolfin has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Awesome as always, Hookbill!
Old 12-28-2006, 10:06 AM   #188
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up Help!

It seems that, with Christmas and everything, I've begun to fall a tad behind on the Newspapers. So, if you have any stories you'd like for the front page, do PM me with them and I'll probably put them up on one of the near weeks. Do keep them short n' sweet, 100-200 words if you can.

In other News (ho-ho), I have listened to your comments and can assure you that next weeks Phantom and Alien will include a Cameo from a well known and respected* Downer. So... Look out.

*This of course, docent necessarily mean he will be respectfully treated by Alien.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:50 AM   #189
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Thumbs up

Don't worry Mr Hookbill! I'll forgive you because of all your sterling work in keeping me laughing over the past couple of weeks!

That TV Supplement was especially fab (but where was the Queen at 3pm, did Alien eat her?)! And the cartoon and the script too!
Old 12-28-2006, 12:40 PM   #190
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
but where was the Queen at 3pm?)
Is there a queen of the Barrow Downs? Perhaps I should have had The Barrow wight's Christmas address or something.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:48 PM   #191
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
<--- Not a queen, but...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 05:41 AM   #192
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

It's that time again, folks. No New Year specials I'm afraid. I just didn't have time... what am I saying? Of course I had time, I just couldn't be bothered.

And let us not forget that most infamous of comic strips. This week, as promised, there is a cameo from a famous Downer. That's right, every one's favorite gun wielding monkey, Mormegil!

Old 01-01-2007, 08:28 PM   #193
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I've been reading through the thread and I must admit that I already am a big fan of Phantom and Alien...
I was curious...what program do you use to draw them ?
Old 01-02-2007, 03:25 AM   #194
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might
I've been reading through the thread and I must admit that I already am a big fan of Phantom and Alien...
I was curious...what program do you use to draw them ?
I use good old Microsoft paint.

When you know how, almost anything is possible with it.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:17 AM   #195
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thumbs up

wow...you've got talent...
I can barely draw something recognisable with Paint...or anything else actually
Old 01-02-2007, 03:24 PM   #196
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
wow...you've got talent...
Well, not really. If any of you folks are wondering how to Draw The Phantom, here are some simple guide lines.

Next week, we'll do Alien.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:12 PM   #197
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Thumbs up

thanks...now I know how to do Phantom

I guess it only is harder the first time, you can copy paste the image for some of the other scenes...still when you have guest stars you have to start over
Old 01-02-2007, 05:16 PM   #198
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might
thanks...now I know how to do Phantom

I guess it only is harder the first time, you can copy paste the image for some of the other scenes...still when you have guest stars you have to start over
I have a file on my computer which is full of concept art for a lot of Downers that I list as 'possibilities' for future story lines. Yet to be used are such folks as; LMP, Davem, Eomer of the Rohirrim, THE Ka and others. They continuously are edited and changed until I use them.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:32 PM   #199
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

of course it's up to you, but I would like to see the serious cat make a guest star appearence in the cartoon...though I am afraid I know what would happen to her since Alien is around
Old 01-03-2007, 01:16 PM   #200
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I'm not sure whether I should be honored or offended Hookbill, regardless I was laughing