The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2007, 10:24 AM   #241
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Well, I anyway had to lose some weight, so the closing down of the chips factory is a good thing I guess, though they did taste good

And as far as Alien is concerned, I think Lalwende might be right on that one, I could imagine Alien wanting to make an acid-corpse cocktail...poor Phantom
Old 01-20-2007, 09:23 AM   #242
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
bwahahahahahaha me dead? no...just absent for a long time i'm just stopping by...to tell you the truth(hookbill this is a flash sstory you might want to publish) morsul the once renowned evil chocolate chip with the amazingly high postperdaycount...is slightly bored with the downs having moved onto youtube(where I have some movies posted under this name) search for hey captain starlight)
Old 01-22-2007, 03:32 AM   #243
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

A meek Week to keep a jeep in the deep.

This week, Alien gets a new hobby...

Old 01-22-2007, 07:04 AM   #244
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm not at all surprised I was confused by Serious, as cats continue to confuse me with their strange feline ways...I shall be examining his Litter Box for evidence...

Alien this week reminds me of something my friend once told me - that he was once (allegedly) given a slap by a Sunday School teacher for saying it would have been far more impressive had Jonah swallowed the Whale...
Old 01-22-2007, 07:28 AM   #245
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
Alien this week reminds me of something my friend once told me - that he was once (allegedly) given a slap by a Sunday School teacher for saying it would have been far more impressive had Jonah swallowed the Whale...
May be, but it certainly would have been funnier.
Imagine! Jonah coming to Nineveh all fat and with a whale shape in the middle of him.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:00 AM   #246
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Again a really funny edition of Phantom and Alien...
I would expect Alien to jump towards the Elephant and then swallow him in mid flight...
Anyway I would have wanted to hear more about the orange fridge's bank account
Old 01-26-2007, 04:45 PM   #247
The Elf-warrior
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Elf-warrior is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via Skype™ to The Elf-warrior
Robemblind Bank gives fridge account!

By Michael Delving

On January 21, 2007, at 3:21 P.M., an orange refrigerator walked into a branch of the Robemblind Bank and opened an account. Bank spokesperson Grishwen Bilgewater said, "I don't see any problem with it. He produced all the required documents." Thenamir, the Minister of Moola, was not available for comment but The Barrow-Wight was furious. "What is this world coming to? Doesn't everybody know that refrigerators are not legal persons? I mean they don't have a mind of their own like PCs. The Saucepan Man said, "This is definitely illegal. The refrigerator is only 6 months old." DCI Lalwendë chased away this reporter yelling, "Go away, you blood-sucking gossipmongering half-wit excuse for a huming(sic) being.!" The orange refrigerator, who calls himself Bob, said, "I think the prejudice people are showing towards me is disappointing. The organic essentialist view of personhood has been made obsolete by me and other intelligent machines. I am fully sentient. Age is not relevant to non-biological persons. After a short period of booting up I was fully functional. You know something; I haven't heard any fuss about Lt. Data opening a bank account. I think his humanoid form goes a long way to reducing prejudice against him."
Old 01-29-2007, 02:30 AM   #248
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

And so it continues!

This week, Alien tries his hand at being Gandalf...

Old 01-29-2007, 03:07 AM   #249
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I'm sure the Penguins will win.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:12 AM   #250
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Nice magic trick from Alien!

And I liked the part about vital evidence...guess that's the way police works
Old 01-29-2007, 06:55 PM   #251
FeRaL sHaDoW
Wight

FeRaL sHaDoW has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to FeRaL sHaDoW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien
I'm sure the Penguins will win.

Never, the dragons shall come out on top
Old 01-29-2007, 07:16 PM   #252
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Title #14

The nicer side of Sauron, eh? That would make an interesting Downer philosophy class, or maybe ethics?
Old 01-29-2007, 07:44 PM   #253
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Fish being outlawed?

Seriously now, other ichthyophages besides myself depend on these gilly beings.

I can imagine the serious cat of the downs is rather partial to fish, you know...

I suggest those with this silly 'hydrophobia' look into swimming classes, hypnosis, or just a good pair of water wings before casting all of their water challenges against the fishies.

I'd like to see a bit more about the fish issue, it is serious you see...

~ Serious Ichthyophagi Ka

Last edited by THE Ka; 01-29-2007 at 07:56 PM.
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:25 PM   #254
The Elf-warrior
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Elf-warrior is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via Skype™ to The Elf-warrior
Sting The Kinder Side of Sauron. My Interview.

by Clap Trap

I was working on an expose of the exploitation of Pelargian fishermen when I received a message from Annatar, normally known as Sauron, the Nameless One, the Dark Lord, the Enemy, or the reason why social welfare budgets have to be cut yet again. It was an invitation to meet him for an interview. I readily agreed. I traveled to the Black Gate, were I showed the guards my press pass and was taken away to Barad-Dur in a blindfold. When the blindfold was taken off, I was in a large room with black walls and a painting of Morgoth wrestling with Tulkas. Sauron was at a black oak desk piled high with paperwork. He was very polite and invited me to pull up a chair and start the interview. I asked him, "Why are you so hated?"

He answered, "I am hated because I am a rebel against the Valarian power structure. I joined Morgoth, at first because Aulë didn't appreciate my talents, but then Morgoth taught me that Eru was a fraud. He was invented by the Valar to justify their authoritarianism. For example, take the case of Míriel. She was plumb tuckered out giving birth to Fëanor and wanted to die, but Mandos, the most rigidly authoritarian of them all, wouldn't let her. And they had this big debate about whether Finwë could remarry. They decided he could, but they prohibited Míriel from ever coming back from Mandos's gloomy halls if he did. I thought the reason they were so upset with Míriel was because she wanted to die. Why does Finwë suddenly have all this power over Míriel's fate? I'll tell you why. The Valar don't like women having control of their own destinies. Even the female Valar put down women to stay in the good graces of their husbands. The Eru delusion again. It's not right, so they think. But I'm different. I believe in self-determination.

That's what I tried to give Númenor. I believe death is an enemy to be defeated, not an inevitable fact. They are not called the Undying Lands for nothing. And I had no idea that the Valar were so blood thirsty that they would destroy every last person in Numenor who didn't join the treasonous "Faithful." I'll tell you what they were faithful to: racism and authoritarianism. These people willingly cooperated in their own subjugation by the Valar and the elves."

Q: "Where did orcs come from?"

A: "They evolved from apes, just the same as humans, dwarves, and elves. Just because orcs are hideously ugly doesn't mean they are evil."

Q: "But what about the alleged atrocities?"

A: "They are Valar-friend propaganda. I admit the orcs sometimes don't take prisoners, but it's payback for long years of oppression. Beautyism is a pernicious philosophy that degrades minorities. And what about the millions of people the Valar killed in the downfall of Numenor? Human sacrifice is a beautiful thing. It's a way of adoring those who have given you everything."

Q: "Do Balrogs have wings?"

A: "I'm not telling you that."

Q: "What is your favorite food?"

A: "Mincemeat pie."

Q: "What is your favorite color?"

A: "Black."

Q: "What is the Void? Do you know?"

A: "It's a prison in the center of the Milky Way Galaxy. Rumor has it that Morgoth has built a fabulous kingdom called Sha Ka Ree there. Sorry! I'll have to end the interview. I've tons of paper work to catch up with."

I said good-bye and was blindfolded again and let off at the black gate. I hope you enjoyed this glimpse of the kinder, gentler side of Sauron; the side they don't want you to know about.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:24 AM   #255
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Yes, it's that time again, folks!

But don't think I've forgotten Phantom and Alien. This week, The Saucepan Man makes a come back!

Old 02-05-2007, 04:30 AM   #256
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Haha, I always knew there was something wrong with Sleepy...

I just wish he'd show up here on the 'downs in honour of that brilliant article about him...
Old 02-05-2007, 06:13 AM   #257
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sleepy Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Pipe I'm not deeeeeaaaaad!

Ahem, I'm sorry but I've been unable to use the computer much due to school/university and such. I will however be making a triumphtant return in April. Yes, I have something planned.

Also since it never got out I believe, TORE won ME Idol. In other news, that was not me it was my doppleganger.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:35 AM   #258
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

interesting couple there - a chicken and a wight
Old 02-05-2007, 04:55 PM   #259
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Titles get married.....

Aw. I always knew he had a soft spot for feathers.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:14 PM   #260
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
wow... silly police always surrounding my house... won't they learn that the endangered pandas i smuggled over are in a warehouse across town...
Old 02-05-2007, 05:46 PM   #261
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
it was my doppleganger.
That kid probably deserved it anyways...

~ Ka, not a doppleganger

Last edited by THE Ka; 02-05-2007 at 06:01 PM.
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 06:11 AM   #262
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy Ranger
I will however be making a triumphtant return in April. Yes, I have something planned.
I can see the Headline now: "Sleepy Return ruined by Alien."
Old 02-08-2007, 07:51 PM   #263
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Holy fried Rings! I used to have a chicken exactly like that one!!

But our marriage ended because...she was a hen.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:46 PM   #264
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
You keep suprising me Mr. Hookbill, I am wondering if you will ever run out of stories for the Newspaper.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:37 AM   #265
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
You keep suprising me Mr. Hookbill, I am wondering if you will ever run out of stories for the Newspaper.
I expect I will... eventually.

Anyway. I keep getting asked why Phantom allows Alien into his house. I belive this cartoon explains it...

Old 02-10-2007, 06:02 AM   #266
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune
I have a feeling that he'll run out of paper before he runs out of news.

The dark side of Alien...
Old 02-10-2007, 06:49 AM   #267
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Thumbs up

The plot thickens I guess...I wonder who the Master is...
And how they want to get rid of Phantom
Old 02-10-2007, 07:50 AM   #268
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

I think its dangerous to try and make explanations as to why Alien is there at all.

But I like the fact that he ate half the table!
Old 02-10-2007, 02:28 PM   #269
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba
But I like the fact that he ate half the table!
Exactly!!!

P.S. Judging from its speech, I get a bad feeling that the Master is either a skwerl, or maybe even the... you-know-who (no, not THAT one)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:49 AM   #270
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Once again it is time to delve into the deeps of insanity...

But let us not forget that lovable duo.

This week, a cameo from Thinlómien!

Old 02-12-2007, 10:09 AM   #271
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

I think I know what happened to the pilot...
Old 02-12-2007, 05:41 PM   #272
High King Fingolfin
Shade of Carn Dûm

High King Fingolfin has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

I doubt it Might, as Alien doesn't look any fatter than normal. Though he may have an extremely fast metabolism ...
Old 02-12-2007, 07:14 PM   #273
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Boots Random Tiltes begin to thaw.....

I think they'll have to thaw the chicken before they try to interview it. Otherwise, the conversation will be a little one-sided. But nothing the biased media can't handle!

As for the Alien, I think he's on a diet. He threw the pilot out the window.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:04 AM   #274
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I think I'm quite cute.

I just wonder if I'm related to Diamond Duck...
Old 02-13-2007, 03:17 AM   #275
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Quote:
I think I'm quite cute.

I just wonder if I'm related to Diamond Duck...
Are Ducks related to Penguins?
Old 02-13-2007, 03:31 AM   #276
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Are Ducks related to Penguins?
I guess they are... but quite distant relation, you know... *a snob glance at pond-quackers*
Old 02-13-2007, 03:58 AM   #277
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

1420!

Quote:
I guess they are... but quite distant relation, you know... *a snob glance at pond-quackers*
So, Penguins are like the upper class relatives that they invite to parties out of politeness but really don't want them to come.

I think this could be a story for the Newspaper!
Old 02-13-2007, 06:02 AM   #278
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
So, Penguins are like the upper class relatives that they invite to parties out of politeness but really don't want them to come.

I think this could be a story for the Newspaper!
We are not like Sackville-Bagginses or anuthing the like! How rude!

We penguins are nice folk.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:48 AM   #279
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

I only now realised that thing is supposed to be a penguin...looked more like a crow to me at first
Old 02-13-2007, 08:10 AM   #280
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
i thought it was a turtle.. .but now its a penguin... meh...

Penguin - Turtle, Potato - Potato