The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #3361
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I just love how every once in a while the newspaper actually somewhat mentions the Down's current events. Moreover in addition furethermore, I also love not current events too as well.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #3362
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I just love how every once in a while the newspaper actually somewhat mentions the Down's current events.
You mean the one about Duckbill the Koopa suing Infamous Barrow Downs Newspaper Mogul? Yeah, I am also following that case with great interest...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #3363
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

News and the world Newses with news!

And now the Phantom and Alien Noir

ENJOY!

Don't forget that if you've lost track of The Phantom and Alien, you can look back though...

Keeping up with the Phantom and Alien is sometimes hard.
Anyway, I've been thinking about going on a short hiatus soon, not sure when. But I feel I need to cool down and get a grip on this little project. I'm not enjoying it any more and I've felt it slipping away for a long time. It's useful in some ways as a writing exercise, practice and so on, but I feel like I've lost the drive I once had.
Maybe it's because it's summer time and everyone is busy, or maybe I'm just running out of ideas. Or maybe I ran out of ideas 350 issues ago...
Anyway, I've got sketches for the next two or three in my head and more P&A of course, but eventually I think I'm going to take a short break for a few weeks. Maybe go on holiday somewhere. Hope that's okay with everyone.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #3364
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Dude, you've been doing this for us for seven years. You deserve a break (eating pudding with a spooooon).

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #3365
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
Dude, you've been doing this for us for seven years. You deserve a break (eating pudding with a spooooon).
Or eating spoon with a pudding, for that matter.

Holiday is nice. Everyone needs it once in a while. Otherwise you'll end up like a dried fish, yess.

We'll be still here when you are back, so, no problem
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #3366
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oh no! I shant live without it! I shall commit suicide! I mean, rise from the dead! Erm...

Kidding aside, ditto Oddy and Legate. You deserve a break. As for what to eat and how to eat it, you know that you could be very fancy and make a meal of aluminum-stuffed crocodile in wood shavings...
Old 06-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #3367
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.

ENJOY!

Don't forget that if you've lost track of The Phantom and Alien, you can look back though...

There may or may not be a newspaper next week, not sure. Probably definitely a P&A, though.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #3368
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Again.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #3369
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Boots

ENJOY!

Sorry it's a bit late! We forgot about things and the P&A got delayed. But here it is for your eyes.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #3370
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I wanna win a box of dust! I want to get it for my birthday!
Old 07-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #3371
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

No news on the lack of no news!

ENJOY!

Sorry it's a bit late! AGAIN!
Next week there will be no paper, nor the week after. Hopefully I'll be ready to get back into it come August. Until then, I hope you're all happy! Look at what you've driven me to! : Merisu:
Old 10-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #3372
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

The Phantom and Alien will be back next week.

FOR THE FINAL TIME.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #3373
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
The Phantom and Alien will be back next week.

FOR THE FINAL TIME.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:22 AM   #3374
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Bump for old awesomeness. Just went looking for Joel's website on The Phantom and Alien to show a friend and it's gone
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:02 PM   #3375
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Guardian View Post
Bump for old awesomeness. Just went looking for Joel's website on The Phantom and Alien to show a friend and it's gone
I have some plans in the works for some sort of revival. May take some time to put together, though.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:09 PM   #3376
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Guardian View Post
There is a Facebook page that has all the old archives.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-P...=photos_albums
Old 05-04-2015, 03:40 PM   #3377
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Dear Sir and/or Madam Editor:

It has been many months past since I've endeavored to issue complaints regarding anything. I dwelt on this strange, perturbing turn of events recently, and discovered that I had, in truth, absolutely nothing to complain about. Naturally, one can imagine my umbrage at having nothing which I might find grievance with or to hurl indignant protests against. It is, I assure you, an intolerable state of affairs!

Suddenly, it came to mind that it had been several months since I had read your disreputable rag The Downer, and that my current egregious state of lack of complaints was directly caused by the disruption of your atrocious paper!

Therefore, I demand that you continue publication of your dreadful, grammatically-impaired, pun-ridden pile of pusillanimous pulp posthaste so that I may continue complaining in a manner that befits my God-given right to express displeasure whenever, wherever and to whomever I so choose.

Thank you in advance for your prompt return to lunacy.

With regard,
Ms. Helena Handbasket
Cheshire-on-Crackers, Wiltsingtonthorpeshireset, Belchley
Old 05-04-2015, 08:50 PM   #3378
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

Re: Ms. Helena Handbasket:

I applaud the trouble you went through to write to this newspaper. As a loyal reader myself, it grieves me to see that I too have nothing to complain about. Where has that mad old editor gone off to? Fiddlesticks and chips, I demand a resurgence of this newspaper so I have something to rip up to put in my cat litter boxes.

Sincerely,
Nobelia Ackville Gabbns
Old 05-05-2015, 01:48 AM   #3379
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
I have some plans in the works for some sort of revival. May take some time to put together, though.
I would like to complain about a lack of revival. How dare they lie to us! I demand a protest!
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:32 PM   #3380
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Searching under a rock, the people of the Barrow Downs simultaneously discovered this new edition of The Downer!

Old 05-08-2015, 12:41 PM   #3381
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Thumbs up

I have been a reader of this paper since year two of its existence, and I am fully glad that it is back. Even if we don't get the Downer forever, I still celebrate its ability to make me laugh. Kudos, Hook. You have flashed me back to my teenage years in the most pleasant of ways with your groan-inducing humour.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:45 PM   #3382
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Dead good! Oh how I missed this!
Old 05-10-2015, 02:47 PM   #3383
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I think I need to up the budget for the Diet Crtics Department.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:11 AM   #3384
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

I was interviewed by The Sci-Fi and Fantasy Network and I felt I had to mention this website and this newspaper. Take a look-see, people!

http://www.scififantasynetwork.com/a...nah-interview/

Forgive the blurriness of the image! I forgot to set the focus on my camera!
Old 06-21-2015, 09:08 AM   #3385
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Actual news reporting in this thread?? This isn't what I paid for!

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:56 PM   #3386
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

I had a dream either last night or the night before that Hookbill had posted a new P and A on his facebook and had linked to another newspaper he wrote on this thread. I miss the glory days of the Downer sometimes. We had fun.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:20 PM   #3387
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Thumbs up Pitchwife likes the post above

Well, we have Hook's books now - can't expect to have our toast buttered on both sides, I suppose. Still, you're right, I sometimes miss all the glorious random silliness... Especially Fungoltch unt Shcmurkt! Funadalkn? Gimifril!
Old 04-20-2016, 07:01 PM   #3388
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Well, we have Hook's books now - can't expect to have our toast buttered on both sides, I suppose. Still, you're right, I sometimes miss all the glorious random silliness... Especially Fungoltch unt Shcmurkt! Funadalkn? Gimifril!
I have read The Sea-Stone Sword, but I haven't had the chance to buy his other books, but I've been an avid reader of his for years o'course! All the same, Fungotch unt Shcmurkt is probably my best memory of this thread's heyday.

Glorious random silliness is best served hot and buttered.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:15 AM   #3389
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

I've got ideas for doing something with the Phantom and Alien someday. Not sure what, exactly. A comic book of some sort, or maybe a children's book (heavily edited, obviously). Not sure. But one day...
Old 04-23-2016, 05:56 AM   #3390
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Hey, why not?
Old 04-26-2016, 03:29 PM   #3391
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
I've got ideas for doing something with the Phantom and Alien someday. Not sure what, exactly. A comic book of some sort, or maybe a children's book (heavily edited, obviously). Not sure. But one day...
Huh. That's so funny. I was talking about your books with my mom a few weeks ago and she suggested the same thing. She said that because it's comics, you may be able to make some money off of it.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:48 AM   #3392
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Pipe What Hookbill does best

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
Huh. That's so funny. I was talking about your books with my mom a few weeks ago and she suggested the same thing. She said that because it's comics, you may be able to make some money off of it.
Alternatively he will have to seduce a high ranking civilservant, so that he books may be found at every library across the land!

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:57 AM   #3393
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Well, Phantom and Alien fans, there may be a future in store after all!

My publishers, Grimbold Books, asked me and my brother to make a comic strip for their Patreon page and so, naturally, I thought of The Phantom and Alien. Now, they wanted it to star their company mascots, two cats called Grim and Bold. But, to all intents and purposes, they will actually be The Phantom and Alien.

The episodes will go up for free for everyone beginning in September, but you can see them all first in August HERE if you're interest.

There's also been talk of a printed graphic novel style book of comics as soon as we've got enough!

I'll make sure to put in lots of Barrow Downs references, don't worry.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:11 PM   #3394
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Cool! That'll give me something to procrastinate with once school starts!
Old 08-01-2016, 08:14 AM   #3395
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Exciting news, Hook! I look forward to more P and A craziness.