The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2018, 04:57 PM   #2201
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Yup--I know it is a heavy burden, but I can still participate.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:35 PM   #2202
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Boots

I'm still in, though should I fail to respond to a summons, someone should poke me on FB in case I don't get my PM notification.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:26 AM   #2203
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Very well. I will send out the first sentence today.

General rule of thumb: if it's your turn to write a sentence, please do so within a day, if you are supposed to draw a picture, please do so within three days. I will keep poking you if you don't.

We are doing doubles, and the list, as it stands, would be:

Legate of Amon Lanc - write
Pitchwife - draw
Rune son of Bjarne - write
Huinesoron - draw
Oddwen - write
satansaloser2005 - draw
Formendacil - write
Galadriel55 - draw
TGEW - write
Thinlómien - draw

Pitchwife- write
Rune son of Bjarne- draw
Huinesoron - write
Oddwen - draw
satansaloser2005 - write
Formendacil - draw
Galadriel55 - write
TGEW - draw
Thinlómien - write
Legate of Amon Lanc - draw

Of course, if someone still appears before the first round is done and wants to join, we can do some last-minute mixing up. Same if you feel the need to switch places for any reason, please just say so, and we can do it.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 05-12-2018 at 04:38 AM.
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:45 PM   #2204
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
I have just ordered a new battery for my laptop. If installation goes well, I should be able to use my laptop to its potential and mod the next game. In any case, I just sent my sentence off!
Old 04-25-2018, 03:52 AM   #2205
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
I have just ordered a new battery for my laptop. If installation goes well, I should be able to use my laptop to its potential and mod the next game. In any case, I just sent my sentence off!
Nice!

...aand in any case, with that, we are nearly halfway through. I can tell you, so far it's been a very interesting round.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 05-05-2018, 02:55 AM   #2206
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Thumbs up

Very well everyone, we are getting really, really close! A few more days, and you can all see what we have... eh... created.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:55 PM   #2207
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Legate sent me the sentence to draw a few days ago and I completely forgot about it! So sorry, guys! I'm drawing my picture tonight.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:29 PM   #2208
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Legate sent me the sentence to draw a few days ago and I completely forgot about it! So sorry, guys! I'm drawing my picture tonight.
Oh my goodness! I'm so excited for this! This Paper Telephone is going to make my exam studying a lot less studious.
Old 05-12-2018, 02:07 AM   #2209
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Just wait for it, we are almost there! You can expect the results of this madness soon
Old 05-12-2018, 04:49 AM   #2210
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Thumbs up Rrrrrring rrrrrrrrrrring

All right, the time has come! Friends, 'Downers, dear guests.

Today, we have gathered here to witness the incredible process of madness. Namely, how in the name of all, this:

Quote:
Lazy Lob and crazy Cob
are weaving webs to wind me.
I am far more sweet than other meat,
but still they cannot find me!
turned, via a long process, eventually into this:

You don't understand, do you. Neither do I, despite having seen it all. But let's start from the beginning and go through it all, step by step.

Buckle up, we are just about to start the ride.

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 05-12-2018 at 04:54 AM.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:51 AM   #2211
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Pipe

So once again - as mentioned above, we started with the traditional piece of poetry from Bilbo Baggins's collection.

Quote:
"Lazy Lob and crazy Cob
are weaving webs to wind me.
I am far more sweet than other meat,
but still they cannot find me!"

It was represented by Pitchwife thus:

Upon seeing this, Rune immediately knew what was the issue here:

Quote:
Lobelia's experiment with genetically modified corn greatly improved productivity among the Mirkwood spiders, though some of her other work was considered error-prone.
Huinesoron, being neither lazy, nor lob, came back with this depiction:

Quoth the Oddwen:

Quote:
There isn't mushroom for error when you garden under the direction of Little Miss Muffoot.
And sally, who certainly wasn't a cob, but saying nothing about the craziness, pictured it in this manner:

Old 05-12-2018, 04:52 AM   #2212
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Question

From there, things began to pick up speed. As evidenced by Formendacil's words...

Quote:
The mushroom's errors loomed over the Princess's ability to see flowers.
And so, royalty had entered the picture, under the watchful eye of the court painter, Galadriel55:

And the famous art critic, TGEW, interpreted it thus:

Quote:
The Queen looks through rose-tinted glasses at a crying mushroom with a list.
Which, in turn, prompted Lommy to portray the following scene:

Passing the ball, or rather the tangled cobweb, back to Pitchwife, who, after recovering from the initial shock, described it as such:
Quote:
Queen Beruthiel was wont to idealise the suffering of the fungoid masses.
Rune son of Bjarne got to his work with gusto that surpassed Hobbit taste for mushrooms:

Old 05-12-2018, 04:52 AM   #2213
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

White Tree

Huinesoron had no problem figuring out what was going on:

Quote:
Seven out of ten cats agree: Queen Beruthiel's scheme to barricade the mines with fungi was a masterstroke of bioengineering.
And Oddwen certainly had no problem picking up that thread:

With fear and trembling, sally looked upon the image, and this is what she saw:

Quote:
The all-feline audience listened attentively to the presentation by The White Tree Society regarding the mission to take the ring to Mount Shroom.
And her sentence took on the following Form:

Galadriel55 was as puzzled as everyone else, but picked herself up, then her pencil, and wrote this:

Quote:
Having failed botany class, Faramir decided to go into animal training, planning to teach cats to carry the Ring to Orodruin using the local flora for orientation.
Which was appreciated by TGEW up to the point of inspiring the following:

And, with that, the final stroke came from Lommy in this shape:

Quote:
Faramir's dreams about an academic career in botany may have been crushed, but it didn't mean he couldn't do something with plants when he grew up.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:53 AM   #2214
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Whereupon yours truly decided to wrap everything up with the last piece of visual art:

And there we are.

Thank you for the ride, everyone - it's been a mad one. I cannot express how much fun it's been to mod this, and see all your creations. You're all crazy cobs, and that's a compliment!!!
Old 05-12-2018, 06:53 AM   #2215
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.

I had forgotten what fun Paper Telephone is. Thanks, everyone - but especially Oddwen. I can finally make sense of the night a while back when Legate kept having hysterical laughing fits at 1am because "Oddwen's paper telephone picture". That picture is amazing.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 06:06 AM   #2216
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
^I absolutely second this. You win PT, Oddwen!

Awesome game, everyone! Comments in order of appearance:

Rune
- kudos for managing to translate my pictorial mess into something intelligible!

Huey
- love your picture! So this is where the mushrooms came from.

Oddwen
- 'mushroom for error' = pure genius!

sally
- the expression of your Little Miss Muffoot! Somehow she reminds me of Dolores Umbridge.

Formy
- I wonder whether the princess's eyesight was impaired by consuming the wrong mushroom?

G55,
TGEW, - perfect examples for literal interpretation producing hilarity. Lommy too -- I loved your Queen Berúthiel! (This was my first glimpse of what had come of my picture, and I remember commenting to Legate that 'woman + food seem to have been the most tenacious elements'.)

Rune
- Am I seeing things, or is that a tiny Eye above the words 'Macht Frei'? (I appreciate the historical allusion!)

Huey
- glorious sentence!

From there on things took a turn towards rabid insanity. Mount Shroom! TGEW's cats look so unhappy, they seem to have an inkling that their quest is doomed, as evidenced by their not surviving into Lommy 's sentence. And I trust I won't be the first to have noticed that Legate's Faramir looks a lot like a self portrait. Thank you so much for modding this!
Old 05-14-2018, 03:13 PM   #2217
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
I loved your Queen Berúthiel! (This was my first glimpse of what had come of my picture, and I remember commenting to Legate that 'woman + food seem to have been the most tenacious elements'.
Indeed. When I saw the picture on the second round, my first thought was that the only thing to make it through was the shrooms.

It was a great round! Thanks Legate for modding and marshaling us into a fast-paced schedule! The picture at the end was a fun idea too.

I love Pitch's somewhat rebus-like picture. It's funny that 404 came up again - I thought it was hilarious!

HS, you're quite the artist. And Oddwen's setence right after - I mustache you where that idea came from, it's a stroke of genius.

Lommy's Beruthiel looks so realistically smug. It's creepy.

And in Legate's last picture the White Tree looks so sternly disapproving. It must know the Ents will not let this business continue.

Quote:
And I trust I won't be the first to have noticed that Legate's Faramir looks a lot like a self portrait. Thank you so much for modding this!
Nah, Faramir looks too frowny. But second the last sentence!
Old 05-16-2018, 06:04 PM   #2218
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Oddwen's picture made me laugh out loud.

It finally makes sense where the cats came into this! I modeled my silver cat off of my baby, Scott. He's the one on the left here(shameless plug for my cat):

http://rattling-the-teacups.tumblr.c...e/102982454917

All in all, a very enjoyable round. Since I didn't mod for it, I'm game for modding this time around!

Last edited by TheGreatElvenWarrior; 05-16-2018 at 06:04 PM. Reason: I couldn't get my picture to show without a link
TheGreatElvenWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:22 AM   #2219
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:

Rune
- Am I seeing things, or is that a tiny Eye above the words 'Macht Frei'? (I appreciate the historical allusion!)
I wish... Actually it was an attempt at making a nail that the sign could han on...

The poor quality of my drawing is a result om having to draw it in all haste in conference room at work...

Quote:
Oddwen's picture made me laugh out loud.

It finally makes sense where the cats came into this! I modeled my silver cat off of my baby, Scott. He's the one on the left here(shameless plug for my cat):

http://rattling-the-teacups.tumblr.c...e/102982454917

All in all, a very enjoyable round. Since I didn't mod for it, I'm game for modding this time around!
I am up for participating in another round.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:13 AM   #2220
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I love the puns! Especial shoutout to Oddwen for Little Miss Muffoot and sally for Mount Shroom.

I'm amused (and bewildered) that two separate people included a 404 error in their pictures, and I am in awe of Lommy's Queen (is she meant to be Beruthiel?).

Oh, and I'm delighted with how long the mushrooms lasted. Obviously I would never admit to making a mistake (such as originally drawing corn, then misremembering the sentence and going 'but Lobelia would definitely be farming mushrooms instead'), so I have to insist that they're actually exceptionally modified wheat...

hS

PS: I'm absolutely up to play another round. ^_^
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:22 AM   #2221
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Nah, Faramir looks too frowny.
Have you ever seen Legate make faces?

Quote:
I modeled my silver cat off of my baby, Scott. He's the one on the left here(shameless plug for my cat):

http://rattling-the-teacups.tumblr.com/image/102982454917
He's beautiful! The black and ginger ones remind me of my Mom's cats, Guinness and Idris (both named after common beverages of the British Isles).

Quote:
Since I didn't mod for it, I'm game for modding this time around!
We'll hold you to that! I'm obviously in for another round, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
Obviously I would never admit to making a mistake (such as originally drawing corn, then misremembering the sentence and going 'but Lobelia would definitely be farming mushrooms instead'), so I have to insist that they're actually exceptionally modified wheat...
That's quite the achievement! Who would have thought Lobelia was such an accomplished geneticist? I suppose she couldn't wait to use Bag-End's cellars as her experimental laboratory...
Old 05-22-2018, 05:56 PM   #2222
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
This was a wild ride indeed! I especially enjoyed Lommy's rose-colored glasses and poor Form's interpretation of my ridiculous scribbling. Cheers and huzzahs to everyone on a hilarious game. I am of course up for another round of this craziness.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:56 PM   #2223
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Okay, I'm super bad because I'm never on the Downs anymore, but I'm still down to mod.

We have so far:

Rune
Huinesoron
Pitch
Sally
Old 10-23-2018, 03:12 PM   #2224
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Okay, I'm super bad because I'm never on the Downs anymore, but I'm still down to mod.

We have so far:

Rune
Huinesoron
Pitch
Sally
I think we might have to do a bit of campaigning to get participants.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:02 PM   #2225
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Add me on!
Old 10-23-2018, 05:48 PM   #2226
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
And my axe!
Old 10-23-2018, 07:21 PM   #2227
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

So...

Rune
Huinesoron
Pitch
Sally
G55
Form's Axe

Old 04-07-2020, 06:23 AM   #2228
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Question

If I wanted to mod a round of Paper Telephone, would I get 10 or so people to play (a classic round with doubles)?
Old 04-07-2020, 07:09 AM   #2229
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I re-confirm my participation in whatever format.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:20 AM   #2230
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
If I wanted to mod a round of Paper Telephone, would I get 10 or so people to play (a classic round with doubles)?
Yeesss!

Old 04-07-2020, 07:38 AM   #2231
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thumbs up

Yay!

So, so far we've got:

Lommy (mod - unless TGEW still wants to? I'm not gonna usurp her )
G55
Rune
Old 04-07-2020, 07:59 AM   #2232
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Yes please!
Old 04-07-2020, 08:01 AM   #2233
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Thumbs up

You have my pen!
Old 04-07-2020, 10:05 AM   #2234
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I'm in!

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:20 AM   #2235
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
I'll play.

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:59 AM   #2236
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I'd like to play!
Old 04-07-2020, 12:27 PM   #2237
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
[Raises hand] I'd be delighted to play.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:49 PM   #2238
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Thumbs up

I'd like to join as well
Old 04-08-2020, 06:42 AM   #2239
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thumbs up

Welcome everybody! I'm very happy to see you all here.

I think we basically have enough people to start already, but I'll keep the signups open for a couple of more days and do my best to kick this off during the weekend. So mentally prepare to start by next week and keep an eye on your PMs. It might not be a bad idea to subscribe to email notifications of PMs if you don't check the 'Downs daily!

Current player list:
Lommy (mod?)
G55
Rune
Sally
Pitchwife
Oddwen
Urwen
Kath
Huinesoron
Legate
Old 04-09-2020, 02:35 PM   #2240
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

I'd like to sign up for this round, please! I suppose quarantine gives us all an excuse to hang out in the Downs!