The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2008, 01:18 PM   #121
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

All right, I'm going to go get lunch, but I'll be around for all the time after that. I'll make an updated list of villagers when I return.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:29 PM   #122
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I'm planning to go to sleep.

I still have no idea about anyone and not enough energy to spend on trying to figure out the roles.

I'm inclined to vote someone who is not likely to receive tons of other votes today because I don't like the idea of concentrating the executive power on a couple of individuals. My thoughts on who might be unlikely to receive much votes are of course biased because there's so long of the day still left, but there's nothing I can do about it.

++Brinniel for rep

Because I agree with her that the less reps there are, the more room for errors, and because she's a player who is generally trustworthy although I always find her so suspicious, and because she probably won't be the centre of attention.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:29 PM   #123
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
May I have a counter-question, Boro, though (if it is clear, if not, ask more) - what was your reason to ask me this? If you only could formulate why are you asking me about that, "why did I name tp in particular". Thank ye.~Legate
Certainly Senator who hails from a place called Amon Lanc, an no need to rephrase.

It was by no means for the phantom's sake. The phantom is a big boy, he can look after himself. Call it a couple curious queries that sprang to mind, call it a test, call it whatever you want. You said earlier you were going to hold off on your suspects until later, you want to take this extra time for observation, that may be well and good for you, each to his own. For me, I want to send a clear message that I stand for efficiency, and that means I'm raring for the fight. The moment I step into those chambers, I mean business.

It was a little test, I thought some of the things you stated earlier were a bit suspect, and decided to investigate further. For example, I found it curious to why you pinpointed the phantom. I mean logically it makes sense, and also I know how hard it is to go one paragraph, let alone one post, without mentioning him in some way. But people gripe about how he has to have all the attention, yet you (and others) continually, and specifically, pinpoint him out. I of course hope you have been honest, or as honest as a politician can possibly be.

I am fully aware of the flaws of first impressions, if applied randomly and based solely on stereotypes, first impressions can be horribly wrong. But it is proven that first impressions with sound, solid, logical reasoning backing them, can be frighteningly accurate. Let me say I've realized my primary flaw in being stubborn and pig-headed. But, with twice as much time now, there is more time for me to slow down, reflect, and process. Rest assured Legate, you will not be the only one I will pick on, you just happened to be the first. Let me repeat that...first.

Edit: Crossed with Agan and the phantom (as far as the 4th page goes)
Old 11-11-2008, 01:31 PM   #124
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
Any future direct quotation of Immanuel Kant shall result in modfire. *shudders*
I love you. (Just couldn't resist, you know, when given such a perfect occasion...)

Then, to the list I promised. Here it comes.
Aganzir - No idea.
Boromir88 - Don't know. He seems calm and reasonable and wise without actually revealing next to anything about himself. A sneaky man, obviously. Could be anything.
Brinniel - Cute and cuddly and sensible, as always.
Diamond18 - I'm slightly worried about the over-confident tone of her post, mainly because I'm not sure what it indicates to. I'm interested to see more of her posting.
Eönwë - Under my reindeer already, and fast asleep, too. Not good.
Gil-Galad - Haven't seen him.
Gwathagor - Securely under the reindeer as well.
Ilya - Seems sensible and gives innocentish vibes this far.
Legate - He puzzles me a bit with those political speeches and such, but doesn't ring-a-ling any alarm bells as yet.
Lommy - No idea. Not actively suspicious nor actively innocent.
Kath - Under the reindeer with the two charming guys...
McCaber - ...sorry, three.
mormegil - Seems reasonable enough.
Nerwen - From the little I saw of her, she seems quite innocentish.
Nogrod - Not actively suspicious nor actively innocent.
Rune - Haven't seen him.
Sally - Not actively suspicious nor actively innocent.
Shasta - Not actively suspicious nor actively innocent.
The Ka - Leaning innocent this far.
the phantom - As before when I've played with him, I'm irritated by the way the discussion seems to revolve around him. I have a bad feeling about him (and no, not because he is the centre of attention).

(Hey, I just realised that the names are in alphabetical order! Yay! )

I'll vote for a rep soon, and have no idea as yet. Also, I don't like how "Not actively suspicious nor actively innocent" became my favourite phrase in the list... I suppose I'm just a hopeless case.

EDIT: x-ed since phantom's post where he regrets Lalaith isn't here.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."

Last edited by A Little Green; 11-11-2008 at 01:35 PM.
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:40 PM   #125
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Rune - Haven't seen him.~Greenie
I feel bad for him, if and when he arrives.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:42 PM   #126
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
c) if you followed my thoughts, the reason for doing the experiment relies on the fact that I am NOT going to vote my representative, for most part, on who is he going to vote for. I am well aware of the riskiness, but heck, for me it's still worth it. I will vote a representative whom I believe as being capable of making a good decision on behalf of the village, that's the prime qualificiation.
Yes, I agree to some point - but it's easier to judge people's roles and alignments if they talk also about other things than game dynamics. It's not that I choose a rep solely because of who s/he suspects; it's more about the fact that people who voice their suspicions are easier to form an opinion on, or rather, people who discuss nothing but filibusters are pretty hard to read. I don't know how to better explain it, but I hope you got my point.

I like Agan's idea of voting Brinn for rep. She seems a sensible choice. Other possibilities for me might be Lommy or THE Ka. Argh. I don't know.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
Old 11-11-2008, 01:44 PM   #127
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
Question my means if you'd like, Legate, but never my intentions or motives.
HaHa!

Just a quick one to begin with... I think we have some conceptual problems involved. At least we had and should do well not to fall on them yet again.

Lommy I think first used the expression "weak reps" and "strong reps" and it looks like she meant ones with only little voting power or with a huge mandate (eg. the question on how many votes any certain rep has over the lynching) and then someone else (Legate, tp, boro...?) started to talk about the "strong reps" as someone who is trusted or influential or keeps her/his own mind or makes independent decisions etc. Or at least to me it looked like that.

These two things should be kept apart. The number of votes a rep has in the lynch-vote is a different thing from the different evaluations concerning the independent-mindedness or "rationality" or "having the good of the village in mind" -speculations of each and every one of us. The first is factual reality while the latter is feelings on everyone's minds and could be different with every single player around.

On a second note... I would be honoured to be a representative but I have to inform you that tomorrow (RL) I go to work early and come back home pretty late in the evening (and I have an early morning call the next day as well). So I may not have too many hours to play in my hands tomorrow).

On a third thought: that kind of information might be useful in general. Sure if I wawered between voting for X or Y as my representative the knowledge that X could be online a lot and Y would have to skip the Day would influence my decision between more or less even candidates...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:45 PM   #128
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

Lommie wants the computer (which is fair enough), so I have to go. I'll vote

++Brinn for rep

because she is a good sensible player, seems innocent, and has already received one vote so is certainly through. Good night, sweethearts.

EDIT: x-ed with Noggins-Woggins
Old 11-11-2008, 02:08 PM   #129
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Okay, first, a list of people for some orientation.

Aganzir - Well. She appeared only for a while, so there's little to say. If I were to speak about gut feeling, I would say okay. But in general, too little to go with.
Boromir88 - The fact that he questioned my phantom comment very short after I posted it could speak for it being a genuine, and therefore innocentish intention. - And, now as I see his reply to me, I am... well. I am considering him... speaking sense, at least, and seeming honest, that's the word. Whether there is something behind this "mask of fairness", or how to call it, is another thing. But this far - no special feelings.
Brinniel - hmm, appears around, but I cannot seem to be able to make a constant picture of her. Perhaps later.
Diamond18 - except for her non-filibustier vote and some messing around, not really much to go with; no reasons to suspect her, though
Eönwë - too little to go with
Gil-Galad - the same (with substituing "too little" for "nothing")
Greenie - I actually think she seems genuine, if not outright innocent. More innocent-ish than not, at least - genuine-seeming questions or points and Ordo could raise, I'd say. So, rather good profile for me this far.
Gwathagor - the same as those two above Greenie
Ilya - the same as many above
Legate - that's me
Lommy - that's her
No, wait a moment. Yes, Lommy... after reading her posts, she actually seems genuine. Thus, innocentish-like.
Kath - probably the same as many above.
McCaber - from what he posted, for now, he makes a rather innocent-y impression on me
mormegil - I feel a bit unnerved, but that's his behavior which I am not used to (I mean in general), and in fact, there's nothing in particular that I would find awkward about him: he seems to follow some normal reasoning.
Nerwen - one post this far, if I am correct? And no substance at all. So, what to say. Nothing. (Though I would have expected her to say at least something.)
Nogrod - reasonable, actually very reasonable, reasonable to the point that it's almost unsettling, but, well, he simply seems reasonable, what to say more.
Rune - is he?
Sally - she's not been posting much, which surprises me a bit, but maybe that's the timezone
Shasta - he is actually quite posting around, which surprises me a bit. I am looking at him, but rather with some sort of expectation and wonder what is going to come out of it, rather than that I'd be outright suspecting him. I have missed many games with him lately, so maybe his style got changed a bit.
The Ka - Her only few posts actually leave me more, like, confused, or, simply hard to analyze anything out of them. I really need (and this case I really mean need) to see more from her to be actually able to even think about her.
the phantom - well, what to say: he is the phantom, but actually, I had the feeling that he does not seem like a Wolf (this has nothing to do though with my ideas about voting him as Rep, to be clear).

Well. I see I'm certainly x-ing with some people, so some comments on that coming rightaway, too...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:14 PM   #130
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
Good night, sweethearts.
I know it's something she does in every game and means nothing looking at her possible role but it always gives me the creeps...

I don't have too many hours either to go and I should need to go for some actual thoughts on people around...

Clearly tp, Boro and Legate have stood up from the village with their debate.

I like to see the "cut the crap"-Boro being back once again. Also tp looks like... well, like tp. As a suggestion to my representative - whoever it will be - I would hate to see either of them go toDay. That would be a loss indeed. And quite many of you will probably quess it right if you think I support getting rid of the possibly existing submarines in the early Days if there are no clear and believable suspicions on others more vocal players.

In this game the situation is a bit different in the way that we have 48 hours to post on any given Day. But if someone is not able to actually post anything "substantive" in 48 hours (or like within 10 pages of posting) I'd be even more inclined to vote those people out on the first Days. Unless that is if there are no better... (I just don't want to hear those certain arguments again for the hundreth time)

But of the three I actually find Legate the most innocent-looking by now as he has actually been forced to defend himself and what he said in couple of his posts defending his position looked innocentish to me - even if I disagree with him on certain points, like whether we should show forwards suspicion or trust over people already on this first part of Day1 or whether to just hang around letting the others do the ugly business that needs to be done anyway if we wish to make things happen...

EDIT: Haha - X'd with Legate doing actually a list of suspicions (was there any after all?) and trusting...

Last edited by Nogrod; 11-11-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:22 PM   #131
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
Yes, I agree to some point - but it's easier to judge people's roles and alignments if they talk also about other things than game dynamics. It's not that I choose a rep solely because of who s/he suspects; it's more about the fact that people who voice their suspicions are easier to form an opinion on, or rather, people who discuss nothing but filibusters are pretty hard to read. I don't know how to better explain it, but I hope you got my point.
Yes, I hope I got it too But I think I did, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Lommy I think first used the expression "weak reps" and "strong reps" and it looks like she meant ones with only little voting power or with a huge mandate (eg. the question on how many votes any certain rep has over the lynching) and then someone else (Legate, tp, boro...?) started to talk about the "strong reps" as someone who is trusted or influential or keeps her/his own mind or makes independent decisions etc. Or at least to me it looked like that.

These two things should be kept apart. The number of votes a rep has in the lynch-vote is a different thing from the different evaluations concerning the independent-mindedness or "rationality" or "having the good of the village in mind" -speculations of each and every one of us. The first is factual reality while the latter is feelings on everyone's minds and could be different with every single player around.
One note, I believe if I used it in my first post, then it was me who used it first (that just to make things clear ). But I used the term in the general sense. And tp, at least what I recall, used the term "weak" as the opposite for it, for these Reps uncapable of judgement.
But, really, good sir, are you not overdoing it a bit, we are not little children. Had you not mentioned it, it would have never occured to me these two terms can be mixed

Quote:
On a third thought: that kind of information might be useful in general. Sure if I wawered between voting for X or Y as my representative the knowledge that X could be online a lot and Y would have to skip the Day would influence my decision between more or less even candidates...
That's a good point. As far as that goes, I should be around in a reasonable measure toMorrow - in the "Morning" (game-wise, but also European time-wise) and then again only in the "Evening" (like for some time from about one hour later than now), though not for the DL itself, of course! What am I, a person with dyssomnia?

EDIT: x-ed with sir Nogrod
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 11-11-2008, 02:30 PM   #132
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta
Boro and Phantom seem to be nicely buddy-buddy today, don't they?
Quite rightly so. To be honest, this whole Boro-phantom-Legate triangle baffles me. What are these guys up to? I don't mean to say that they're evil, nor that even one of them is evil, but such behaviour does make me a little cautious. I would say I'm keeping an eye on them, but in this village, one can hardly avoid paying attention to those three.

I agree with Nogrod about confusing the words. Okay... if reps who have their own will are strong and those who don't are weak, can we then call those who have less votes at their disposal light reps and those who have many heavy reps? I would find that amusing...

I should soon know who I'm going to vote as a rep. Right now, I'm most inclined to vote Shasta (he seems innocent and rather sharp-witted, and well, you know, he's a known psychic ) or possibly Nogrod (since I think he has a rather good track-record in Day1 votes and seems innocent too). My vote may very well go to someone else too. I haven't had much time to think about it yet.

I'm also toying with the idea of voting someone rather quiet just to force them to think and post.

edit: xed with Nog and two Legs - feeble joke, I know
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:37 PM   #133
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I'm also toying with the idea of voting someone rather quiet just to force them to think and post.
Why to use a smilie when discussing an important point Lommy!

I mean that is exactly what I have been thinking... for this Day or maybe the next as well, depending on the overall situation.

Or maybe quietness is not the right factor but the kind of carefulness of some of us around. If we pick them as representatives they will have to take a stand.

I just realised this... Kath, would you like to be a representative?
Old 11-11-2008, 02:47 PM   #134
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Why to use a smilie when discussing an important point Lommy!

I mean that is exactly what I have been thinking... for this Day or maybe the next as well, depending on the overall situation.

Or maybe quietness is not the right factor but the kind of carefulness of some of us around. If we pick them as representatives they will have to take a stand.

I just realised this... Kath, would you like to be a representative?
I used the smilie just because the idea occured to me right then and I was not sure if it was worth taking entirely seriously... But yes, like you say, why not? Just as long as it's someone we can trust will use his/her judgement and not just vote randomly... And in that case Kath is a good choice - smart but rather quiet. And besides, I love piling important decisions on her...

I'll have to think about this.

(And like you kind of said, I doubt this is a good arrangem,ent for days other than toDay or maybe toMorrow at most. Then the game will be getting a bit too serious for experiments like this...)
Old 11-11-2008, 02:48 PM   #135
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
EDIT: Haha - X'd with Legate doing actually a list of suspicions (was there any after all?) and trusting...
Ah, good point, I had not even realised it I thought it's going to end up kind-of not that productive... although... well, you see. In either case, my opinions are going to change, most likely. And then also, my view is actually the worst on those who are around, but too quiet. Let's say, Kath, just by random. Or Nerwen, possibly (I think I even said that it's a bit awkward). But, well, the main point is that the Americans have not yet posted in their last hours, so...

One thing which became clear to me now too - Brinn is not getting a Rep vote from me, because she already has two, and I have no reason to give her more. Nog would be fine, but if he's not going to be around much... Have to see.

EDIT: x-ed with these Noggies and Lommies. Gaah, what I just said about Kath. I never can't seem to get a reading about her. I don't like her because I don't understand her Too shadowy for me.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:56 PM   #136
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I was just thinking... I could vote Ilya too for a rep, just to find out more who she is and how she plays this game. I think I know everybody else's playing styles well enough...
Old 11-11-2008, 03:00 PM   #137
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
I was just thinking... I could vote Ilya too for a rep, just to find out more who she is and how she plays this game. I think I know everybody else's playing styles well enough...
What? He's a she?

I wondered about Shasta, too, though, when you mentioned it... hmm...
Old 11-11-2008, 03:01 PM   #138
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
Any future direct quotation of Immanuel Kant shall result in modfire. *shudders*

Fea, amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp
Werewolves, I have an idea! We can make peace! If you will agree not to kill us during the night, we will agree not to try and lynch you during the day. Why continue this conflict? Let us strike a truce!
I don’t think that would work in Fea’s or any of the mod’s plans. Also, just curious if it ever does happen, I take it modfire doesn't have a limit when there's mutiny on plot?

They want entertainment, from what I gather… Like any twisted author who prays on their characters *folds arms and pouts*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
I’ve been thinking of voting for someone who’s not so much quiet, but not as twisted the rest of us old biddies. Not because it’s fun (okay, maybe a little), but I’m really curious what will happen with the representative decision(s) if it’s not just a bunch of veterans sitting around and arguing.
It might be a little bit to help cast away the whole ‘well, y’know what we say about history…’ and, ‘the weak or strong choice’ debate.

So, maybe a new or recent player might help. In the few games I’ve been in, sometimes the less seasoned have been our better (or most unexpectant) voices of reason. Goes to show what the outside world can bring.
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:02 PM   #139
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
What? He's a she?
I admit I assumed her to be a he, but since she referred to herself as a girl on this thread...

English is a silly language, really.

edit: xed with Ka(a)
Old 11-11-2008, 03:07 PM   #140
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
I admit I assumed her to be a he, but since she referred to herself as a girl on this thread...

That's been known for a long while

Well, I have probably subconsciously stemmed from the assumption that Ilya is a Russian male name...
Old 11-11-2008, 03:14 PM   #141
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:

I must agree.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:15 PM   #142
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye catching up...

So Aganzir has selected Brin to represent her, and Green went ahead and made her an official rep. Interesting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
But people gripe about how he has to have all the attention, yet you (and others) continually, and specifically, pinpoint him out.
Ha ha! Yes, I've noticed that before. People will make negative remarks about me being the center of attention, and of course they are the ones making it true by talking about me and my status in the village rather than simply conversing with me like anyone else.

And Nogrod- are you saying that you do not want to be made a Rep? Just wanting to get a clear picture here.

And I know I promised an updated list, but I can't make one that is worth anything. I haven't found my footing yet. Too many people have been silent thus far. I've gotten vibes from those who have talked, but nothing that would convince me. I'm having a more difficult time than usual trusting anyone for some reason. It might just be my mood, I'm not sure...
Old 11-11-2008, 03:20 PM   #143
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I should go to sleep soon. I'm almost for taking a dice to decide whether to vote Shasta, Kath or Ilya... Funny, I have always been so much against random votes, but it feel so much less criminal when it's about voting a representative than about a lynchee... (I first wrote "lynching a representative"... )
Old 11-11-2008, 03:23 PM   #144
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Okay, now on to something productive... (and no, this time it's not going to be a factory). Let me see.

From those who are around, I could pick as a Rep, like I said before, Shasta, Nogrod... possibly also Greenie, or Morm. And Boro... well, maybe just not because I am not sure what his opinions on me are... I would not like to see myself lynched by my own hands, so to speak Greenie then won't be bad, she seems genuine, but her and Brinniel (whom she voted for) together... not sure if I want to give possibilities for strong coalitions. Although, some will probably arise anyway.

And I really don't like it, especially... well... you know why... but I would be actually also inclined to vote also... *gasp* The Phantom!

Really. Putting Nogrod aside, actually... EEEK! See, okay, he may be impulsive, he may be irresponsible, he is... though... now, right now his impression on me is... eeeeek... he behaved quite reasonably all the day (as much as phantom can!) and some of his questions and opinions and contributions seemed really genuine and caring about the village... *shrugs*

Well, great. Strong words at the beginning, and this is how it ends But really. I have to think. Huh.

EDIT: x-ed since Gwath and with Lommy and the... person... I just named... eek...
Old 11-11-2008, 03:24 PM   #145
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I'll be a Rep if you like Nogbod, though being in England and the deadline being at 4am my time and my bedtime currently being, ooh, half 11 ... well, just so you're aware of how early that vote would have to be. It would be interesting though. The reason I'm so quiet so often is simply that I'm overwhelmed by the post count, with fewer people it might make me speak more!

I'm intrigued by the seeming consensus on Brinn's innocence. Not that I think she's guilty, but why has she been so mentioned and yet so trusted? It almost seems back to front given the reaction to, say, Legate.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:25 PM   #146
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

I guess Rune and Gil-Galad (surprise!) are the only ones who have not yet posted? Well, there are still hours to go but I do hope they join the game eventually.

Anyway, I looked over some of those who have not posted too much this far.

One post

Kath - Speaks how enthusiastic about this game she is and that's it. No posts after that. Laying low or just busy? Fits the general "Kath on Day1" scheme though... a bit too well - and that's why I'd like to see her as a representative toMorrow even if she might vote for me just out of the annoyance...

Nerwen - Only one post but offers an idea: either Shasta is in cahoots with tp or then Brinn as they are so extremely friendly - and no one would believe the wolves would be that obvious. A fair point looking at the time of the posting showing she's up to this game - even if I'd wish to see her post more. But I surely do wish to see her more so not someone I'd wish to see lynched toDay.

Gwath - Only posted to say "I'm reading but have nothing to contribute yet" - and that was 14 hours ago... RL and all may be factors and maybe we should not judge too heavily at this moment but he does look evasive indeed.

Two posts

Di - Makes a campaign why she should be voted as a representative. That makes her look more innocentish to me than not. Also her point on tp was reasonable even if limiting to being out of bounds and possibly misguided as well (judging from Fea's posting... butI'd underline the word possibly as there is no easy way to say what she actually means ). I'd say she's more innocent than not.

Sally - Sadly nothing to say. Just banter. Another representative-candidate for me.

Agan - Looks more innocent than not, even if there was not much in her two posts. She's one I wouldn't like to see go this early anyway as I know she can be an asset to the village when having more time and losing one of those on Day1 is always sad.

THe Ka - She seems to be one who always flies under my radar. Her first post is merely general stuff & banter and on the second one she just mildly agrees with Boro and tp. Maybe also a candidate for being a representative so that she would have to take a stance on something and give us more clues?

EDIT: Oops, X'd with a host of posting...
Old 11-11-2008, 03:25 PM   #147
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Nogbod!
Old 11-11-2008, 03:26 PM   #148
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Haha Nog, ruined your post, I'm in the three post zone now! Well, only two really as this one has no substance.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:27 PM   #149
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:

Gwath - Only posted to say "I'm reading but have nothing to contribute yet" - and that was 14 hours ago... RL and all may be factors and maybe we should not judge too heavily at this moment but he does look evasive indeed.
It was true, though.

Currently, I think that I will either vote someone who does not want to be a rep, or vote myself.

EDIT: Can I do that? I assume I can.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:32 PM   #150
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
I would say I'm keeping an eye on them, but in this village, one can hardly avoid paying attention to those three. ~Lommy
When you signed up for this were you really expecting something different?

Quote:
Or maybe quietness is not the right factor but the kind of carefulness of some of us around. If we pick them as representatives they will have to take a stand.~Nogrod
Hmm interesting...you should probably know by now that whether I'm a representative or not I'm going to be doing some heavy lobbying during the 2nd 24-hour period. I would also expect that from Legate, the phantom, and any of the other more vocal players. I can certainly imagine a quiet wolf, who is not a representative, slipping under the radar even more so then they would if we all just had 1 vote. In this way, it would make the less talkative bunch take a stand, and voice their suspects.

However, I don't fully like move for playing carefully and cautiously. Look, I take risks, that's what you're going to get from me, and if I'm a rep, that's what you're going to see. I don't think making somebody a rep will change their style a great deal, if at all. All it would really do is get a concrete vote out of them. But while the voting in the game will be different, I don't think the dynamics are going to change as dramatically as what some of you are making it out to be. The bottom-line is we have lots of well-honed WW people in this village, and it's going to come down to the same situations, do we have some quiet wolves who want to stay out of the spotlight, or some bold one's who like attention, or in all probability both?

I don't like playing it safe, and I've always found people who try to play it safe suspicious. Kath, Brinn, Rune, would make great reps, if they're innocent. The phantom, Legate, Nogrod, also would be great reps if they're innocent. See the point? Just because we have a different voting system now doesn't mean it's going to change someone's ability just by slapping on the "Representative" title.

Edit: Crossing of mass proportions

-went and checked, crossed since Legate's 140
Old 11-11-2008, 03:34 PM   #151
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

I'm thinking about my rep-selection just very generally at this point. I'm thinking that I would like to give my vote to someone who has talked, and has given opinions. Partly because anyone who becomes a rep seems, to me anyway, less likely to be lynched, for they will have the protection of their voting power.

And at this stage of the village I do not want to kill someone that I firmly believe I will form an opinion on in the coming days. It is true that my opinion of them may be incorrect, but I'd rather have an opinion and be wrong than feel entirely in the dark.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:36 PM   #152
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
I will [...] vote myself.

EDIT: Can I do that? I assume I can.

You can not.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:44 PM   #153
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
You can not.
Good. I was worried I'd have to sidetrack Gwath myself.

I'm not going to make a list of how I feel about people yet. I find that this early on everyone's mostly "innocent-ish" and/or "too quiet to tell." Perhaps during the second half of the Day.

For some reason I also really like phantom's suggestion of non-violence. If any village can pull that sort of thing off, it's this one. Representative republican anarchy.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:47 PM   #154
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
And Nogrod- are you saying that you do not want to be made a Rep? Just wanting to get a clear picture here.
Well, I'm not thinking exactly like "we're doomed if tp is not one of the reps" or that "we're doomed if tp is one of the reps".

To be honest I think we face quite a new situation here. It would be great if we managed to pick some great minds to solve our problems and to give us a wolf with their considerate and wise voting in the end of Day1. But just looking at the numbers and the insecurities of Day1 I do think it's not an obvious result (even if I do believe in reasoning in this game).

So on the other hand it might be good to have a few wolves on the representative's board on this Day1 just to force them to play. I mean if we had like two or three wolves on there they would be easier to catch playing it together (or trying to avoid giving the impression of that) than if they all had a chance to lay low outside the governing body of the reps.

Also, putting some quiet or really careful players into the representative government might ease our chances to have a take on them as they would then leave a definite mark of their stance. Yes, innocents can have it wrong but as the wolves know they are faking it they - at least some of them - could be caught that way.

So, I have no clear picture about wishing you to be a rep or not tp. Maybe I'd like to see someone of whom I feel to be more evasive to be my representative on this first Day at least?
Old 11-11-2008, 03:48 PM   #155
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

If you are indeed considering me as an option, I would have you know clearly where I stand on the idea of being a rep.

If made a rep, I would attempt to use my voting power to put pressure on others in order to get them to give opinions. Along the lines of "I'd like to vote for so-and-so, but if he steps up and gives me something maybe I won't".

As far as actual Wolf-voting success, I certainly can't promise much on a Day 1, and wouldn't be much more accurate than random selection. The clear advantage to choosing me is simply the fact that I am not a Werewolf.

However, as that fact cannot possibly be known or trusted coming from my mouth, that's not particularly convincing.

All told, I feel no need to campaign for the position of Rep. I'd be more comfortable in an advisory capacity. The only reason I feel compelled to wish for votes is simply for the sake of self-protection, and because I know that those votes might otherwise have supported a Werewolf. Of course that is to be balanced with the pressure I'd feel not to do something disasterous with my vote (lynch the Seer).

Anyway, that's where I stand. Nog- what are your feelings towards receiving my rep vote?

Boro? Legate? Anyone else?

EDIT: x-posted with Fea onward
Old 11-11-2008, 03:53 PM   #156
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
THe Ka - She seems to be one who always flies under my radar. Her first post is merely general stuff & banter and on the second one she just mildly agrees with Boro and tp. Maybe also a candidate for being a representative so that she would have to take a stance on something and give us more clues?
I think she might be a good choice. However, she's not my choice. I've decided to try

++Ilya for representative

Because I really want to know her better, and I would also welcome some fresh views in the final debates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
When you signed up for this were you really expecting something different?
Well, honestly, no. But I like all of you, so don't be too worried, my dear Mr88.

edit: xed with Nogboot and phandoom
Old 11-11-2008, 03:54 PM   #157
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

*sighs* It really looks like either Shasta or... do you have such a proverb in English? "Who cries the loudest not to do something, is first to do it?" (Along these lines.) I am still not placing aside Greenie, but there's the thing I said above. (And it has one practical disadvantage too, she'll have to post... hey, but that's not gonna matter now...) Otherwise, hmm... Nog, you said you are not much for being a Rep tomorrow? Time-wise?

I'll see how I long I stay around here yet... perhaps for long enough to make some clearer image of whom to vote (this is actually fine, as it sounds a lot better than in the usual context, even though the phrase used is the same). Hmm... may as well start to ask people considered...

EDIT: x-ed with those after Fea
Old 11-11-2008, 03:58 PM   #158
Ilya
Wight

Ilya has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Ok, to clear up the question raised about me:
Quote:
From the Quena Lapseparma:
EMMA (f.) - probably Ger. 'entire, whole'; ilya "all", thus Ilya itself or Ilye
And to further up my dork count, the handle is for Ms. Austen's Emma, not for my name. Although, yeah, it is also kinda the Russian form of Elijah, too. Silly English. And silly Russian. And silly Elvish, come to that.

It's really interesting to read all y'all's lists, so I'm making one, little sense though that makes.

Aganzir - I got nothing.
Boromir88 - Seems the sensible sort, but I don't know yet.
Brinniel - Everybody seems to trust her, and there's no reason from her posts for me not to, so naturally I'm highly suspicious.
Diamond18 - I dunno if that post was just her usual voice, but it felt weird to me.
Eönwë - No idea.
Gil-Galad - He's a friend of Perky. That means wolf.
Little Green - Makes a lot of sense. Probably innocent and my suspicions are further proof of an undiagnosed paranoia syndrome.
Gwathagor - ли́чно я с ним незнако́м. (I don't know him).
Ilya - Possibly a Tolstoy protagonist.
Legate - One of the vets that have overwhelmed me with posts. They all make sense, but I'm a little skittish right now of people who are posting long posts and posting a lot, not because it's a bad thing. The more people post the more we have on them, I'm just not used to the high rate and length of posts, is all.
Lommy - I agree with Legate. She seems genuine.
Kath - I don't know why, but I'm trusting her right now.
McCaber - Also seems innocent, although poking the phantom could be a great cover for a wolf.
mormegil -Also one of the vets who's already intimidated me.
Nerwen - No se.
Nogrod - Makes a lot of valid points. Not sure I'd want him for my rep just yet, but seems very focused.
Rune - Also a friend of Perky's. Totally a wolf.
Sally - Dunno.
Shasta - I like his handle. Has a lot to say, but I'm not sure I'm getting all of it.
The Ka - Also love the handle if it's from where I think it's from. I'd like to hear more from her.
the phantom - How does one judge an entity? I'm buying into tp so far, although I don't want to make him a rep, just because I know he'll contribute anyway.

As to making "quiet" people reps in order to draw more out of them, I think there ought to be a mix of uber-posters and lurkers. Or to put it another way, it's a good idea to flush out those of us who aren't speaking, but it's also a good idea to let at least one experienced writes-a-lot have the power to vote, so that all the reps can't fall back on tp's or Legate's or Shasta's Day 2 arguments.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:02 PM   #159
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
hmm... Nog, you said you are not much for being a Rep tomorrow? Time-wise?
We have an essay-ranking meeting in the afternoon and I have no idea how long it will last. In the best case I'm free from early evening (like from 3-5PM GMT, +2 GMT to me that is) and in the worst I'll come home just a few hours before I have to go to sleep.

So I will definitively play tomorrow (RL) but the question is only whether I have time like I had today or whether it would be just reading it through and naking a few posts.

EDIT: "Naking a few points"? ... Making?
Old 11-11-2008, 04:02 PM   #160
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Boro? Legate? Anyone else?
Well, if you ask about receiving your vote, if you feel up to it - see, I will accept; the only thing worth considering is whether you consider it worth with my schedule, as I said (above - something like being here, and now it seems like rather briefly, in some 11 hours since now, and then for perhaps longer period some 6 hours before the DL itself). So - you can take that I make a responsible vote, as much as it will be possible (for that I suggest you go through my later post a bit to learn my "program" , as little as there is), but not count much on my participation in discussion during the course of the Day - only on several isolated moments, hours, let's say.

As for that, now in the light of what you said, I have to think once again about voting you. But that has time - also if Nog replies to me.

I would rather vote for really one of the more, hmm, vocal players, and those about whom I have some idea rather than complete enigmas, although I can see where Nog is going. Later.