The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2009, 07:42 PM   #1
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril WW LXI: Grimm Tales

WW LXI: Grimm Tales

Once upon a time in a glorious land far, far away there was a village. It was surrounded by glorious mountains, and valleys, and rivers, and forests, and of course numerous castles with motes and dungeons and other such lovely things. It was a peaceful land where everyone usually lived happily long lives. Except that there was an evil Queen. She had married the King long ago after his first wife had died, and now the King himself had just passed in a mysterious hunting accident. There was only one thing standing in her way. The King had a son, Prince Philip, who would become King and take the throne if he found himself a worthy young Lady to marry. If he didn’t marry by his 21st birthday the evil Queen would ascend to the throne and all the land would be doomed to be her slaves.

But there was hope. There was a young Lady named Rosamond who resided in a small castle on a large hill in the middle of our little village. She was destined to be the one true love of Prince Philip, all he would have to do would be to travel to the little village and take her as his bride.

Of course it’s never that easy. The evil Queen disguised herself as an ugly black cat and snuck into Rosamond’s castle. She crept up into one of the highest towers and put a spell on a spinning wheel that, with only a prick of the finger, would cause the young Lady to fall into a deep sleep and never wake up. The evil Queen did not know however that Rosamond had a Fairy Godmother who saw the Queen enter the room. The Fairy Godmother was not able to destroy the spell but she did change it so that Rosamond would awake if she was kissed by her one true love.

3 days later one of Rosamond’s servants (and closest friend), Wilwarin, found her lying on the floor deeply asleep beside the spinning wheel. The Fairy Godmother appeared beside her and instructed her to write a letter to the village. In the evening Wilwarin walked sadly down to the small village in hopes of warning them of the great danger that they faced.

NO POSTING ON THIS THREAD PLEASE. Everyone should receive their roles within the next 11 hours or so. Night 1 will start then. Keep an eye out.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Silmaril

Rules:

•No double lynchings, in the case of a tie the person who last received that # of votes will be lynched
•Every player gets 1 retractable vote every Day
•Under no circumstances can you show any proof of your role or any PMs you’ve shared with me or players you’re permitted to talk to. As well, try to avoid speaking to other living players outside of the game thread (so PM, IM, MSN, Facebook, ect…), it’s very easy to slip up and reveal info that you shouldn’t reveal, and it also gives you an unfair advantage over other players.
•To dead people: you are dead, no talking on the game thread or admin thread. As well, do not reveal any information you may know to living players.
•Everyone be invisible please
•Votes are bolded, on a separate line, with ++ in front, to retract do the same, but with – … self votes will be allowed, but please don’t do this too much
•Mod-fire most definitely exists, if you don’t participate/vote for 2 Days straight, you die...you can explain any absences in the admin thread
•Please only edit posts for spelling/grammar, feel free to double/triple/quadruple/x’uple post
•All votes should be on time, either before or on the hour (9 am EST). One minute late is still late, so it doesn’t count
•Know your roles well, feel free to PM me if you need any clarification on how your role works. There are quite a few rules regarding all the roles, so if you have any confusion about anything please PM me before it could negatively affect the game.

Roles:

Goodies - gifted:

Wielder of the looking-glass: (seer) every Night this player goes home and looks into his looking-glass and asks something along the lines of “Looking-glass upon the wall, is Wilwa good or not at all?” If he discovers the identity of any of my made up roles, he is only told their role, not whether they have been successful in their tasks or not (however if he sees Prince instead of Frog he knows that the Princess and Prince are now Lovers. Little Red Cap will appear as an ordinary villager. If he discovers the Fairy Godmother or the Huntsman he may PM them during the Day, if he guesses them both all 3 may PM among themselves.

Fairy Godmother: (ranger) every Night this player chooses one player that she will protect with her magic from the baddies. She cannot protect the same person two Nights in a row. She can protect herself once.

The Huntsman: (hunter) this player chooses one other player that he will take down with him (using his giant axe of course) right before he is killed, whether they are innocent or not, and whether it’s at Night or during the Day. He can give me a new name every Day and every Night, but he can keep the same target for one consecutive Night/Day (or Day/Night), but once that new Night (or Day) starts he has to give me a new name.

Hansel: He may be a small child but he's more powerful then he looks! Every Day, at any time, he sends me the name of a player. This player’s vote will not count. He cannot choose the same player two Days in a row. If he chooses the player who has the role of the Old Witch his vote will not count and her’s still will. He will not be informed if this happens.

Gretel: She may be a small child but she's more powerful then she looks! Every Day, at any time, she sends me the name of a player. This player will be given double voting; therefore their vote will be worth that of 2 votes. She cannot choose the same player two Days in a row. She can choose herself once. If she chooses the player who has the role of the Old Witch her vote will not count. She will not be informed if this happens.

Other roles (all goodies, almost):

Little Red Cap: (kinda like a cursed, but not) A naïve little child easily fooled by the Big Bad Wolf. Every Night the Big Bad Wolf sends me a name along with the baddies kill choice, if he guesses Little Red Cap then he has managed to persuade her that he is indeed her Granny, she becomes a baddie. Little Red is not aware of her identity until it is too late, if she dies before she is turned I will not reveal her identity, I won’t even tell Mr. BBW, mwahaha. Her identity will, however, be revealed when she dies if she had been turned (therefore if someone is lynched and you see “Little Red Cap” beside their name, then you know she had been turned and you can be happy that you killed a baddie). If BBW dies before she’s turned she becomes like any ol’ villager.

Fair Maiden: A kind young girl who has had her child stolen by the evil Rumpelstiltskin. She has 3 days to guess his name in hopes of retrieving her son. She provides me with 5 names, could be all at once, could be spread out, she cannot change them once she’s chosen them, and she has to get them to me by the end of Day 3. If one of these 5 names belongs to Rumpelstiltskin then he dies. After this happens the Maiden is just like any ol’ villager. Nothing bad happens when she dies, but her role is revealed. If she guesses the Fairy Godmother she is given an extra guess.

Princess: A beautiful young girl searching for true love. Every Day and Night she sends me a name, if this name belongs to the Frog then he turns into a Prince, these two then become Lovers and can PM during the Day. They want their happily ever after more than they want the village to win; therefore they cannot reveal themselves neither before nor after they become Lovers. If one dies (either by lynching or by baddies) the other dies as well, but only after the Frog becomes the Prince, before this happens one can die alone. If the Frog dies before she guesses his name she becomes just like any ol’ villager. Her role is revealed when she dies.

Frog-Prince: A Prince trapped in a frog’s body, waiting for his true love’s kiss. A normal player, until his Princess guesses his name; then he is transformed into a Prince, and they become Lovers and can PM during the Day. He does not know who the Princess is, but is told her guesses. He can however send me one guess, at anytime, as to whom she is, and he will only be told whether he is right or wrong, if he’s right then he now knows her identity but still has to wait for her to find him. They want their happily ever after more than they want the village to win; therefore they cannot reveal themselves neither before nor after they become Lovers. After they become Lovers if one dies the other dies too. If the Princess dies before he is transformed he becomes just like any ol’ villager. His role is revealed when he dies, no matter what.

Prince Charming: A gorgeous, but seemingly unintelligent young chap looking for the foot that fits his glass slipper. Every Day and Night he sends me a name, if it belongs to Cinderella; they become Lovers and can PM during the Day. They want their happily ever after more than they want the village to win; therefore they cannot reveal themselves neither before nor after they become Lovers. If one dies (either at Night or during the Day), the other does as well, but only after they’ve become Lovers. If Cinderella dies before he can find her he becomes like any ol’ villager. If he guesses the Old Witch’s name he dies. His role is revealed when he dies.

Cinderella: A young orphan girl with some ugly relatives, who had a wonderful night with her Prince Charming and is desperately hoping he’s able to find her. A normal player until Prince Charming guesses her identity, and then they become Lovers and can PM during the Day. She knows who Prince Charming is. They want their happily ever after more than they want the village to win; therefore they cannot reveal themselves neither before nor after they become Lovers. If one dies (either at Night or during the Day), the other does as well, but only after they’ve become Lovers. If Prince Charming dies before he finds her she becomes like any ol’ villager. Her role is revealed when she dies.

Baddies (basically the werewolves):

Big Bad Wolf: A strange creature who likes to eat children and dress up as little old ladies. Every Night he sends me a name along with the baddies kill choice (he can discuss his choice with his fellow baddies if he so desires), if he guesses Little Red Cap then he has managed to persuade her that he is indeed her Granny, she becomes a baddie (he will not be informed if she dies before he has guessed her). If she is turned you will not be informed directly, the narration may possibly hint towards it though. If BBW is killed then she is no longer in danger of being turned.

Old Witch: No good Princess story is complete without a crazy envious evil Witch. Basically just a normal baddie, but if Prince Charming gives me her name he dies, mwahaha.

Rumpelstiltskin: An odd little dwarf who has a funny name and a strange fascination with infants. As well a normal baddie, but he needs to watch out for the Fair Maiden, if she guesses his name he dies.

Ugly Stepsister: A very unattractive (on the inside) young lady following in her evil Queen mother’s evil footsteps. Basically a normal baddie.

Robber Bridegroom: He is like a cobbler; he wants the baddies to win. As well, every Day he sends me a name, if it belongs to the Fair Maiden, Cinderella or the Princess, she will die. If Cinderella or the Princess have already been united with their loves they will not be able to be killed. The Fair Maiden can still be killed even after she’s given all of her guesses.

+ 4 Ordinary Villagers

Please try to avoid consentrating on genders. Of course some roles match the gender of the player, but some don't.

Players:

Nerwen - bookmaker
Eomer - gravedigger
Lommy - minstrel
Aganzir - jailor, arena and lions included
Sally - some poor serving girl who has no money to buy sweets
McCaber - humble shopkeeper
Izzy - baker
Mira - apothocary
Gaurcrist - blacksmith
Shasta - fletcher
Gwath - drunk vagrant
Boro88 - the shruberrer
Kath - restaurant owner
Inziladun - shruberrer's apprentice
Fea - Storyteller
Nienna - bookkeeper
Greenie - school teacher
Lari - fortune teller
Mith - herbalist
the phantom - the crazy book liberator

PLEASE DO NOT POST ON THIS THREAD.

Last edited by wilwarin538; 01-15-2010 at 10:23 AM.
wilwarin538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:00 AM   #3
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Silmaril

On this same dark evening 4 villains met in the small house of the Old Witch, on the outskirts of the village. She was arranging four bottles on the small table when the other three entered. The Big Bad Wolf entered first, barely able to fit through the small door. Rumpelstiltskin walked in next, only a few feet tall but horrifying non-the-less. Lastly there was the Ugly Stepsister, she was fair in appearance but anyone who saw her could see that her heart was black and cruel. The small group gathered in the center of the room around the little wooden table, all of them eyeing the potions they had been expecting to see there.

“How are we to know that you aren’t trying to poison us, hag?” the Big Bad Wolf asked sceptically, leaning in closer to the small woman and letting out a small growl.

“Because she wants the Queen’s reward just as much as we do, Dog. She can’t do it alone.” Rumpelstiltskin said quickly, pointing a finger at the Wolf. Despite the large size difference, he was not afraid of him.

“Let her explain. We’re running out of time. You all know quite well that my mother will be strongly displeased if we fail.” The Ugly Stepsister added sharply with a snarl. After a nervous gulp from Rumpelstiltskin they all looked intently at the Old Witch.

The Old Witch held up one of the bottles, which held a strange green liquid. She stroked it lovingly and gave an almost toothless smile, peaking up at the others under her large hat. She then re-explained the plan they had already set in place. “This potion will disguise us during the Day as four villagers I removed earlier.” She gave a little cackle during the word removed. “It will give us some of their memories so the others will believe we are them. However at Night and in death we will return to our true form. Every Night we will gather here and decide on a villager to kill. During the Day we must live among them and fool them into murdering one another, in their vain attempts to stop us.”

“The Prince will not risk entering the village to save Rosamund if there is too great a risk to his life.” Rumpelstiltskin added with a small laugh.

“And his birthday is only weeks away, if he doesn’t marry in time my mother will take the thrown, and I shall be Princess, and someday Queen. And you all will receive your just rewards as well.” The stepsister smiled wickedly as she adjusted the black ribbon in her scarlet hair.

There was a moment of silence as the villains basked in their evil glee. Then the Ugly Stepsister thought of something that had not yet been discussed.

“But what of that servant girl? She knows things that could put us in danger. Should we risk letting her reach the villagers?” she asked the group, a hint of worry appearing in her voice.

“No worries, I have a plan. Leave the girl to me.” the Old Witch concluded with a snide grin as she patted the younger girl’s hand reassuringly. After one final cackle she handed them each their potion and sent them on their way to prepare for the Day ahead.

Night 1 starts now. Baddies may PM. The Wielder of the looking glass, the Big Bad Wolf, the Princess and Prince Charming may all send me names toNight. PLEASE DO NOT POST ON THIS THREAD.

Last edited by wilwarin538; 06-20-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Silmaril

Evil was not the only thing at work this night. There was still hope nestled secretly into the village.

Not far from the center of town, in a small little house, someone was staying up extremely late. He was never one for sleeping anyway. He hummed a quiet tune to himself as he polished the beautiful looking glass that he held carefully in his arms. There was an inscription on the rim of the glass, in an ancient tongue no longer spoken, that his mother had translated and told him many times. He spoke the verse quietly to himself as he mounted the looking glass onto his wall. “Speak the proper verse to me, and I will greatly help you see. If there be someone who seems awry, I will show where their loyalties lie. One at a time and only by Night, can this gift be granted to help your fight.” With a sigh he spoke the proper words and was revealed the true form of the villager he named. Not long after he closed his lights and had a very tousled sleep, in fear of the Day to come.

Around the same time a Huntsman sat in his small home close to the town square. All around his home he had various weapons and tools, most hidden out of sight. His dearest was his axe, though it was very large he had managed to find a way to keep it hidden under his cloak. It had been passed down from his father and was his most prized possession. As he removed it from its holster and slid it under his bed he thought gravely about the Day ahead, and the dangers he could sense were coming.

Finally, late into the Night, the Fairy Godmother sat in a tree top. She never needed sleep, so she would just watch. For now she was one of the only ones who could protect this village, and her task grew heavy on her heart. She had put so much of her power into changing the curse on Rosamund that she knew she could not protect them all, barely even herself. One a Night was all she could muster; she just hoped it would be enough.

The moon shone brightly on this Night, and the stars twinkled happily, as the village slept soundly. It would be their last quite sleep for a very long time.

Still Night 1. DO NOT POST ON THIS THREAD PLEASE.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:01 AM   #5
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Silmaril

The sun shone brightly on this beautiful morning in our little village. Everyone awoke at the rooster’s loud call, which was quickly quieted by one of Shasta’s arrows (he wasn’t a morning person). They all got ready and began gathering in the town square, getting to work on their daily tasks.

Mirandir and Mithalwen walked together towards their little shop. There hadn’t been enough room in the town square for each to have their own, so the apothecary and the herbalist had to share. It was not always a happy partnership, and they often tried to steal each other’s customers, however, they were still kind friends.

Lariren and Isabellkya were also opening their proper places on either side of the Herb/Apothecary store. Visiting travellers and tourists often enjoyed grabbing a cookie on their way to discovering their doomed future.

On the other side of the small town square sat McCaber’s quaint little shop. At this time Sally the serving girl was dubbing him a villain because he would not give her sweets. Their argument was quite disturbing to Thinlomien who always enjoyed playing outside the little grocery. Today she was heard playing a cittern, though she was gifted in playing many other instruments as well.

Fea was seated comfortably in the middle of the square on the edge of the large fountain. At this time she had stopped telling her engaging tale in order to keep the children around her calm. It was not a convenient time for Aganzir to be taking her large lions for a morning stroll. Greenie had also jogged over from the schoolhouse to help keep her students from running away in terror of the beasts.

Eomer stepped around the felines nervously as he strolled through the village square. He constantly kept a shovel over his shoulder, his motto being “always be prepared”. He whistled along with Lommy’s music and nodded kindly to the shrubber Boromir and his apprentice Inziladun. At this time they were arranging two shrubberies outside of Gaurcrist’s blacksmith shop. One was being placed slightly higher than the other to get a two-level effect with a little path running down the middle.

Kath was busy in her adorable little restaurant serving an arguing group of book-lovers some coffee. The Phantom held on tightly to his copy of How to Rid Your Village of Evil in 10 Easy Steps! as Nerwen became insulted that a book existed in this village that had not been made by her own hand, and Nienna went on about how useless the book’s subject was and how he should read one of her’s. The Phantom looked up hopefully, knowing that this was about the time that Wilwarin came and defended his book-liberating. She was the only one who understood. But she was nowhere to be seen.

“Where is Wilwa?” he asked quietly, seeming very confused. This stopped Nerwen and Nienna mid sentence.

They all suddenly realised that this was about the time of day that Wilwarin came down from the castle to purchase various food items at McCaber’s for the castle’s chef. But she had not yet arrived. They all started to gather in the very middle of the town square, even Gwathagor the drunk vagrant joined in (he had been napping this whole time). Everyone began talking at once until finally they decided to search for her. It took only a few minutes.

Wilwarin was lying in a small ally behind the bakery. From afar it looked like she could just be asleep but upon closer examination it was obvious that she was dead. Eomer brought the shovel slowly down from his shoulder; something he had not expected to do today. The villagers began stepping around Wilwarin’s body looking for clues. They found 2. The first was the apple she was holding; it was bright red and wonderful with only one bite taken out of it. In the other hand there was a letter that had obviously been written in a hurry. It read thusly:

Dear Village,

There is evil lurking among you. The dear Lady Rosamund has been put into a deep sleep, Prince Philip is the only one that can save her, but it is far too dangerous for him to enter our little village at this time. You must rid us of this evil before it is too late, for every Night one of you will be taken. There is still hope, for there are some hidden among you, including myself, that can help protect you from these monsters. You must act quickly.

Good luck,
The Fairy Godmother

The village began to panic, but only for a time, for they cared deeply for their Lady Rosamund and knew that they would all perish if they did not find the villains that hid among them.

Eomer got to work, Lommy played one of Wilwarin’s favourite melodies and Shasta shot some blue arrows into the air, a village tradition. After a quick, but lovely service the villagers began to discuss. They were all afraid, and greatly sorrowful, but they knew that there was hope and that Wilwarin’s spirit would be there to comfort them during this ordeal.

Day 1 is now. You may discuss.

At any time toDay I need names from Hansel, Gretel, the Princess, Prince Charming, the Hunstman and the Robber Bridegroom.

Last edited by wilwarin538; 05-19-2009 at 07:07 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:13 AM   #6
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Oh, poor little Wilwarin
sweet butterfly, fluttering
we will see you no more in these green lands
you were taken by the evil with shadow hands
But, lil' Wilwa, you shall never be forgotten
we shall avenge you and smite the rotten!

*puts the cistern away and apogises for the bad quality of the ex tempore rhymes*

Well, I'm here, and the most of this post's content will be "hey I'm here I'll be back later" - I'm glad good ol' Noggie is not playing, he'd hang me for a post like this! But like I said, I have limited time now (I have to be at work in an hour) but I'll be here later in the evening to play properly.

And I'm very aware that this post may start the quiet-loud debate I do not wish to start, but as an announciatory matter I will say that if I don't find anyone very suspicious, I will vote for someone who I feel is not contributing to the common cause.

That being said, I will also try to avoid refraining voting people just because I enjoy playing with them extra much or they haven't played for a long time or something like that and to be semi-objective for once.

Oh, an whoever cross-posted with me is a baddie.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:16 AM   #7
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
No one cross-posted? Sniff, no just-past-deadline-rush! Kind of ruined my joke. Well, maybe we have no baddies in this village. But now I'm truly off, see you soon!

PS. Btw Wilwa I had to google "cittern" because I was not sure what it was...
Old 05-19-2009, 07:32 AM   #8
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I hate trying to come up with the 1st post, because I always wonder what to say. It is like the "subject" line for a message, what are you supposed to put? I think maybe "hello," or "thank you," but usually end up with a "..." because there is no subject. Sometimes I admit my lack of creativity and just say "I can not come up with a subject," but sometimes I get a light of creative genius like putting "Do Not Disturb," in a message that talks about privacy rights.

That is what I go through with trying to write the first post. I thought about saying "I am here and will read through the thread," but that didn't seem to fit. I thought about just saying "hello. Wilwa's dead? It can not be!" but that is not my thing. I thought maybe randomly making a list of suspicions based on a person's occupation, but I have not done that in a long long time and feel I have to uphold my high expectations.

So, I decided to write a first post that struggles how do you write a first post? In doing that maybe the rest of conversation can flow relatively easily. We shake off those first post jitters and just get conversing with one another. That way we can begin to just be comfortable talking with one another and not be thinking about "what do I say in a first post? What do I say to Boro?...he is kind of scary, I think Agan even called me nasty somewhere." I am saying don't think I am nasty, and I will try not to pay attention to the growths on some of your faces. Let us talk now, person to person.

I wonder if this is the longest 1st post ever?

Edit: crossed with Lommy...twice! ::angry face::

Last edited by Boromir88; 05-19-2009 at 07:37 AM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:32 AM   #9
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thanks a lot Lommy, for stealing my thunder, I can't even get the 2nd!
Old 05-19-2009, 08:05 AM   #10
Lariren Shadow
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lariren Shadow is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via AIM to Lariren Shadow Send a message via MSN to Lariren Shadow
All right I'm terribly sorry about this. See admin thread as to why this is happening now.

First and only post of the Day probably and I hope that everyone is doing well (I can see some are and some aren't).

I can see that my vote is going to be...

++the phantom

Because he's the phantom and I know won't (hopefully) get lynched on Day 1 for my little insignificant vote.

Have fun everyone!
Old 05-19-2009, 08:09 AM   #11
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
A terrible, terrible thing... and I didn't even have time to explain to the Fair Butterfly the difference between a bookbinder and a bookmaker

But we must do our best to avenge her death... and, who knows, some of you lucky people might get rich in the process.

The betting is now open.

Will we get a baddie on Day One?(4-1)

Who will be the first villain to die?
Big Bad Wolf(5-1)
Witch(5-1)
Rumpelstiltskin(2-1)
Ugly Stepsister(5-1)
Robber Bridegroom(3-1)

Will Lommy and Aganzir try to lynch each other?(2-1)

Place your bets now with your friendly neighbourhood bookmaker!

Remember the slogan, "It's a Safe Bet With Auntie Nerwen!"

EDIT: X'd since Lommy.

Last edited by Nerwen; 05-19-2009 at 08:13 AM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:11 AM   #12
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Boots

Good morning, all!
First off, I'm glad to be a part of this! I hope to last a least a few days before I'm murdered by the Agents of Evil or a fear maddened mob.
Also, I doubt I'll be able to do much in depth post analysis from 9:00 AM-6:00 PM EST, as those are work hours, and the boss would likely be appreciative if I devoted some of that time to actual work, but I'll do the best I can.
I'll try and pop back in here in a bit, and I intend to give this all my attention during the lunch break.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:38 AM   #13
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Morning all. Must say, while it's a shame and all, this horrible murder, I can sure use the extra business. No point digging graves with nobody to fill them, eh? Hehe... am I right? Well, maybe that's inappropriate, I suppose. Hmm... yes.

Maybe we should be looking to attract immigrants, seeing how there's going to be regular and frequent deaths now. Not that we'll be too happy with immigrants, being in the Grimm Brothers tales and all, but who knows - they might approve of their being cannon-fodder...
Old 05-19-2009, 08:46 AM   #14
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
Shop's open! All prices are as marked, all sales are final.

Now that that's out of the way, it's time for the traditional first wave of suspicion:
Lommy: Overly eager to get the first post. Wolf.
Boro: Also eager to get the first post; took too much time to do so. Either confused wolf or confused innocent.
Lariren Shadow: Hurried vote on tp. Either a confident innocent or a wolf grasping for straws. Unless they're both wolves and they're throwing us off.
Nerwen: Trying to profit off the village's misfortune. It's more a cobbler-esque move than a wolf. Plus she offers terrible odds.

That's all I've got for right now. Unless ... throwing out heavy suspicions is suspicious in itself, isn't it. Shoot. Just disregard this, then?
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:48 AM   #15
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
So deadline is 2pm my time? Could cause some last minute voting on my part most Days as I only have about half an hour out of school before that!

Hmm now so far Lommy is clearly evil as she's pretending not to start the loud/quiet debate whilst actually trying to start it up. Otherwise there's not a lot to say.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:10 AM   #16
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

In an attempt to look colorful in a strictly black and green environment, here is a list...

Nerwen - why are the robber bridegroom's and Rumplestiltskin odds better than the other baddies?
Eomer - is the big bad wolf - evidence 1.0 "cannon fodder"
Lommy - I don't like minstrels, but as long as you are not Robin's minstrels I promise I won't eat you if winter unexpectantly comes upon us
Aganzir - has known to dress up as uncivilized cavalry officers, she has to be the robber bridegroom
Sally - occupation fits Cinderella, she has to be cinderella
McCaber - I don't buy the "humble" bit, that has to be a disguise
Izzy - baking poison into our food huh old witch?
Mira - You know I have with me varoius hallucinogenics and other products that may aid your business? I even carry an elixir that is 200 times more powerful than morphine, talk about powerful!
Gaurcrist - probably innocent
Shasta - you really like bows huh? And how effective are bows against Grimm baddies?
Gwath - keep the drunk vagrant for entertainment
Kath - depends upon the rating, if it's 5-star she looks good
Inziladun - has as difficult of a name as Rumplestiltskin...hmm that is not going to work. Is there a nickname we can give you?
Fea - I love stories, which means I will love Fea telling us stories.
Nienna - hmm a keeper of books, do you happen to have the book of secrets?
Greenie - such an innocent occupation compared to the rest
Lari - Can you tell me my fate, miss? Will I find my piece?
Mith - Do you need a leech rancher my lady Mith?
the phantom - ugly stepsister anyone? That would be a cruel joke.

Hopefully I crossed with people while creating this ridiculous thing...

Edit: nope no crossing
Old 05-19-2009, 09:19 AM   #17
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
Inziladun - has as difficult of a name as Rumplestiltskin...hmm that is not going to work. Is there a nickname we can give you?
Whatever sounds good to you, Good Sir. You are the Master Shrubberer, after all.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:30 AM   #18
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Leaf

Quote:
his motto being “always be prepared”
Ooh Eomer I knew we were destined to cooperate ever since I saw your occupation, and now this! *strokes her lions gently*

Anyway hello bunnies. Last night I had a dream I missed the whole game because I got stranded on a desert island for two months and when I was finally rescued, my main worry was that I had been modfired. It's funny how WW creeps into my dreams even before the game has started.

Nerwen is a baddie because she started her first post with the word terrible and she always does that as a wolf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen
Will Lommy and Aganzir try to lynch each other?(2-1)
No they don't. At least on the first few days. My guess is that they will try to keep a nice distance so no one notices they're actually fell- I mean because they don't enjoy their excessive quarrelling very much. At least Aganzir doesn't.
Tee-hee now I'll get rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
Aganzir - has known to dress up as uncivilized cavalry officers, she has to be the robber bridegroom
Shh you're not supposed to say that aloud!

If I don't have any good suspects by the end of the day, I will vote for either Greenie, Shasta or Lari for killing me on night 1 the last time I played. I'm probably not voting for Gaurie or Inzy today because this is their first game.

Hmm as for the roles...

I don't like Hansel & Gretel because they make the game too complicated for my poor little brain. I have also always hated that fairytale.

If the Fair Maiden uses all of her five guesses on day 3, the odds that she gets it right are the best. If there are no ranger saves, modfire, lover deaths or whatever, there should be 16 people alive then which means she has almost a 1/3 chance of getting Rumplie.

Prince Charming should probably be careful when looking for his princess in case also the Old Witch tries to drop Cinderella-hints in order to get him killed.

*off to eat the lovely blueberry ice cream she just made*
Old 05-19-2009, 10:47 AM   #19
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agan
*strokes her lions gently*

Anyway hello bunnies.
Dunno why the combination of stroking lions and calling us bunnies makes me feel like... a bunny threatened by a lion?

In any case I'm here now and will probably be more or less around for some hours at least. I don't, surprisingly, have much to say right now, but if someone else is around I'd be in for a nice little (green) chat.

EDIT: Oooh how cool, this was my 444th post. I like even numbers.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:51 AM   #20
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nienna has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to Nienna Send a message via MSN to Nienna
Nienna's Extraordinary Tales: A bookshop dedicated to satisfying the literary needs of Our Little Village

Now Open For Business!

Quote:
Nienna - hmm a keeper of books, do you happen to have the book of secrets?
But of course my dear Boro... though I must warn you that I don't promise that they are the secrets you seek.

Inziladun: I vote Zil.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:06 AM   #21
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

It's easy to figure out who is bad. Who hasn't been reading lately? Only evil people don't like reading.

Gwath is always hanging about my shop, or Nienna's, curse her! You may argue that he has nothing better to do seeing as he is a drunk without a job. But he could be spending his time robbing or talking, but he chooses to read now and again. And that puts him in my good book.

Not that I have an actual "good book". They're all good. Not all books, I don't mean... I mean all my books are good. I don't keep the bad ones. You have to bury the bad ones and cover them with a layer of ashes from a good book. It's sad. Whenever I find a bad book a good one has to die in order to cancel it out. Why don't people just stop writing bad books?!

Gaurcrist reads sometimes. Likes some of my weapons books very much, and has never tried to steal them from me, unlike some of you! You think offering me filthy round pieces of metal is a fair trade? Hmph! Keep your gold. I have books on how to find gold, make gold, and shape gold. Much better.

And really, what is wrong with Lari? She votes for me to die, and her reason is- she figures I won't die! I'm not sure where to begin breaking down that bit of nonsense.

But I think the baddies will reveal themselves. The witch's cackle will give her away, the big bad wolf will have terrible dining manners, and Rumplesnit... Rumbleskil... um, Rummy no doubt disguised himself as a very tall villager since this is his one chance to feel tall. So let's eat and lynch the one who gets the messiest, then stand up from the table and lynch the tallest, and then tell a joke and lynch the cackler.

Easy, easy, easy.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:23 AM   #22
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom
Rumplesnit... Rumbleskil... um, Rummy
Rumpelstiltskin, phantom. A boy of your age should know more about spelling. I would definitely have thought I taught you a bit better than that... *mutters something about students not being as precise as they used to be*
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
Old 05-19-2009, 11:27 AM   #23
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
I didn't even have time to explain to the Fair Butterfly the difference between a bookbinder and a bookmaker
Oops.....sorry!!!

Quote:
Only evil people don't like reading.
That's what she said.

hehe, had to do that atleast once....
Old 05-19-2009, 11:27 AM   #24
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
Whatever sounds good to you, Good Sir. You are the Master Shrubberer, after all.~Zil
I have nominated Nienna's suggestion...Zil (see the quote above)

And I vehemently oppose Agan's (Inzy) suggestion, because it is too similar to Izzy, and I will get confused.

Quote:
But of course my dear Boro... though I must warn you that I don't promise that they are the secrets you seek.~Nienna
What secrets do you think I am after? I guess that is for our resident fortune teller to answer.

But, wasn't there some wicked witch in some long ago tale that said "my dear?" It is of course a different tale, but I would assume that the Wicked Witch of the West and the Old Witch belong to the same guild of Evil witches.

phantom, it is your first post and you are already dropping hints, all over the place, and are clearly up to something? Lucky for you that I have no power against you, and of course what you have already hinted at I have made note of and will let you be.

Edit: crossed with the last two, and the phrase from the wicked witch is "my pretty," not "my dear." So disregard that last ridiculous suspicion.

Last edited by Boromir88; 05-19-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:45 AM   #25
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Lunchtime is here and I have.......no real insights. Not knowing the personalities just yet, and with a lack of any concrete evidence, it's a bit difficult to judge the difference between possibly suspicious behaviour and what may be just people being themselves. It's so much harder when you only have pieces of the puzzle, but therein lies the challenge. That said....

Lommy told us:
Quote:
And I'm very aware that this post may start the quiet-loud debate I do not wish to start, but as an announciatory matter I will say that if I don't find anyone very suspicious, I will vote for someone who I feel is not contributing to the common cause.
Why immediately throw to the wolves (so to speak) anyone who may not be able post often right away? Seems rather unnecessary.

Aganzir- seems to have a reputation, doesn't like the Hansel and Gretel story. I do like "Rumplie" as a nick for the freakish dwarf-creature.

Nienna- professes to have secrets! Interesting.

the phantom- a bit unbalanced and unpredictable?

See? So many variables!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nienna View Post
Inziladun: I vote Zil.
Whatever the consensus is. I'm flexible.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:53 AM   #26
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Well, I'm back from my morning out, and I see that not a lot has happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom
I don't keep the bad ones. You have to bury the bad ones and cover them with a layer of ashes from a good book. It's sad. Whenever I find a bad book a good one has to die in order to cancel it out. Why don't people just stop writing bad books?!
I shudder to think of the ruin Twilight has wreaked on your library. If I had any books to spare I'd sell one to you to recoup your losses.

Boro: It's ok, I think just about every witch has used a phrase like "my dear" or perhaps "poppets" to lure the children inside. I mean, not that I would know anything about any witches or anything like that, but still, I think it's a fun little point.

Zil: throwing a few words out there about certain villagers here and there works for some people. I can't fault him for that. It is how I tend to operate, after all. And he has an awesome sig, so I'll let him be for now.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:01 PM   #27
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I like "Dun" myself. But that's just me.

Proper post in just an instant.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:23 PM   #28
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenie
Dunno why the combination of stroking lions and calling us bunnies makes me feel like... a bunny threatened by a lion?
Don't worry - my lions are very gentle animals compared to, for instance, the Bunny of Caerbannog.

Quote:
And I vehemently oppose Agan's (Inzy) suggestion, because it is too similar to Izzy, and I will get confused.
What about Ladu then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladu
Why immediately throw to the wolves (so to speak) anyone who may not be able post often right away? Seems rather unnecessary.
Because it's easy for quiet people to go unnoticed while the loudmouths tear each other apart, and if those quiet ones are guilty... well too bad. And people often prefer to save the most substantial players till later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladu
I do like "Rumplie" as a nick for the freakish dwarf-creature.
Don't thank me, I think it was wilwa who coined it.

I'm here for now.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:36 PM   #29
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Because it's easy for quiet people to go unnoticed while the loudmouths tear each other apart, and if those quiet ones are guilty... well too bad. And people often prefer to save the most substantial players till later.
Sad but true. You get people who post all over like Lommy and Boro who say quite a bit, and then people like me who often don't have much to say.

It's easier to tell a loud wolf in the lategame because inconsistencies are easier to catch when there's a lot of posts.

And in the past I've been an effective villain by staying rather quiet, so I know from personal experience to get the silent ones first.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:45 PM   #30
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Thanks a lot Lommy, for stealing my thunder, I can't even get the 2nd!
That's what you get for being such a sluggish writer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lari
Because he's the phantom and I know won't (hopefully) get lynched on Day 1 for my little insignificant vote.
What's the point in voting someone in order not to get them lynched? Would not refraining from voting be wiser?

Quote:
Lommy - I don't like minstrels, but as long as you are not Robin's minstrels I promise I won't eat you if winter unexpectantly comes upon us
Oh brave sir Boro ran away...

Quote:
the phantom - ugly stepsister anyone? That would be a cruel joke.
*dies laughing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir
I'm probably not voting for Gaurie or Inzy today because this is their first game.
Well yes even though I advocated the objectivity policy I'm going to do that too... but toMorrow they will not receive any such kindness from me and also, I will not refrain from suspecting or accusing them toDay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilly
And also because if I threten to vote people who are silent people may talk more and thus provide more evidence.

edit: xed with the macabre guy
Old 05-19-2009, 12:48 PM   #31
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Ok, first major serious question I want answered...

Is it Rumple-stilt-skin, or would you say Rumples-tilts-kin?

McCaber, I promise not to accuse you of beeing "too right" about the baddies, where the only explanation is you are one. Here's a toast to the bitter memories, let them lay still.

Edit: crossed with Lommy
Old 05-19-2009, 12:50 PM   #32
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I am here but I haven't got much to say yet - other than it is just as well that double lynches aren't allowed. With potentially 2 pairs of lovers there is a risk of a lot of collateral damage if we get it wrong ... and we could end up with 5 baddies, let alone all these guess and die characters... All of which I am still getting to grips with (I feel a chart coming on... or maybe a herbal infusion will cleart the mind). With all these special roles a lot of people will have private agendas - so the decision may be not IF people are behaving oddly but why... and with that in mind I shall take a good look at what you have been up to...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:56 PM   #33
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

What about Ladu then?[/QUOTE]

Like I said, whatever everyone agrees on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Makes sense. Tricky devils.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:59 PM   #34
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
Originally Posted by Zirry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilly
Is it just me or are these Zirries and Zillies a tad confusing? (And who's Zirry anyway? Aganzir?)

EDIT: x-ed with Inzy/Ladu/Zilly/Dun/whatever

Last edited by A Little Green; 05-19-2009 at 01:00 PM. Reason: capital letters
Old 05-19-2009, 01:03 PM   #35
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
Like I said, whatever everyone agrees on.~Zil
Plus passing my approval.

Quote:
EDIT: Oooh how cool, this was my 444th post. I like even numbers.~Greenie
If it was your 666th I would see you are immediately lynched.

But since it's not...

++the phantom
Old 05-19-2009, 01:08 PM   #36
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

A summary

Nerwen - funny and makes sense-ish, no reason to be at her throat yet
Eomer - his normal self ie bears watching
Lommy - to quote one of the greatest minstrels of our times, J.R.R. Tolkien: "immortal maiden Elven-wise"... except sadly not immortal!
Aganzir - is for once refraining from attacking me + makes good points = good
Sally - her instant has been an hour - suspicious
McCaber - making points and suspecting people, I quite like it
Izzy - nothing
Mira - nothing
Gaurcrist - nothing
Shasta - nothing
Gwath - nothing
Boro88 - amusing... but I'm really going to rip something or someone to pieces if he and phantom start a sort of clandestine co-operation again!
Kath - her normal self
Inziladun - getting hang of the game, actually playing, I like it
Fea - nothing
Nienna - making vague hints
Greenie - amusing but not much substance yet
Lari - fishy exactly in the way that attracts my Day1 votes magnetically (and usually is not proof of guilt.... *sigh*)
Mith - just made a fair point
the phantom - lack of substance and volume

edit: xed with Zil, Green and Boro
Old 05-19-2009, 01:08 PM   #37
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzil
the phantom- a bit unbalanced and unpredictable?
Exactly! First try. I'm impressed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
*dies laughing*
So long as you aren't cackling.

And Boro- I made a mistake. Three mistakes actually! Two of them seem to be related, but they're not. Who says coincidences don't exist? I don't say that. But then I do say that I haven't started trying yet. I'm wondering right now what I'm actually supposed to do besides act unbalanced and unpredictable, and wondering what everyone else is supposed to do. How many people are on their own team this game? Between the Baddies and Lovers there aren't really any, um, villagers.

So, is this really what we have? Baddies- want to kill everyone. Lovers- want to kill everyone. Gifteds- want to.... um.... kill Baddies? But then if the Lovers win, don't only they win, and the Goodies don't? So why are the Gifteds trying to save everyone else, since no one else is on their team?

And I still haven't figured out what Prince Philip has to do with me. He shares my name, but why? Is it a sign?

I must consult my books. Don't bother me.

edit: x-post with several, including another ++tp! Because Lari was onto something, I suppose.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:11 PM   #38
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
Is it just me or are these Zirries and Zillies a tad confusing? (And who's Zirry anyway? Aganzir?)
Yes, it's her, sorry - I did that on purpose.

I have a horrible urge to join the tp-wagon just for the fun of it but I'm afraid I might have to save my retraction for more useful purposes because tomorrow I will have to try to balance between studying and playing ww...

edit: xed with the ghost himself
Old 05-19-2009, 01:13 PM   #39
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
it's a bit difficult to judge the difference between possibly suspicious behaviour and what may be just people being themselves.~Inz
Especially zany, unpredictable Day 1's.

However, I will let you know about me. I'm eratic, kind of crazy.

For people who have a good read on my behavior see: Mith, Lommy, McCaber and the phantom.

Whatever these people say, believe the opposite: Agan and Fea
Old 05-19-2009, 01:16 PM   #40
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

Quote:
++the phantom
Either Boro is just acting strange or else he has noticed something I haven't. *sigh* Now I'm just trying to figure out which of those is more probable. In any case, two unreasoned votes against the same person (whether or not it's the phantom) at this point of Day 1 confuses me a lot.

EDIT: x-ed with Boro