The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2009, 01:17 PM   #41
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Interesting.... According to my books, Nienna is a book-stealing cad, Eomer is a toad, and Boromir is a girl.

Okay, the first one is a bit biased, seeing as I hate Nienna, but I'm pretty sure of the other two.

And no, a toad isn't the same thing as frog.

Or is it?
Old 05-19-2009, 01:19 PM   #42
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oh do you have to kill TP before we have had a chance to flirt? *sighs* .... has he done something to suggest he wants to join the Fenris Pack or is this a bandwaggon.,, *goes looksee*

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:22 PM   #43
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Life Science 10100

Quote:
And no, a toad isn't the same thing as frog.~tp
All toads are frogs, but not all frogs are toads.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:23 PM   #44
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

No, I don't plan on joining the Fenris pack today. Maybe some other time.

Lari was just being weird. Boro- he was just checking/testing. It remains to be seen whether or not I pass his test.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:30 PM   #45
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
All toads are frogs, but not all frogs are toads.
Hmm
Before you meet the handsome prince you have to kiss a lot of frogs

Before you meet the handsome prince you have to kiss a lot of toads

I have known some slimy frenchmen in my time... but they disposed of their princes with the guillotine...

No doesn't help .....

Old 05-19-2009, 02:10 PM   #46
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'Greenie
Either Boro is just acting strange or else he has noticed something I haven't. *sigh* Now I'm just trying to figure out which of those is more probable.
I think it's either a scheme or a joke between friends and in both cases I advice to ignore it.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:12 PM   #47
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
People I like: McC (although if he's planning to be quiet himself while saying the silent ones should be lynched first, I'm going to vote for him ), Laddie (who seems to be getting a grip on the game well), and Mith (speaks sense and is likeable anyway).
I'm also liking Lommy for now (except that phantom bandwagon comment which looked a bit evil), mainly because I agree with her pretty much.

People I don't like: Boro (nasty) and phantom (my main competitor for the ladies' attention, and why not that of the gentlemen's, too? ). I won't concentrate on them today though, as usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomz
What's the point in voting someone in order not to get them lynched? Would not refraining from voting be wiser?
Well if she isn't sure of her participation tomorrow and doesn't want to risk modfire? In that case I understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom
But then if the Lovers win, don't only they win, and the Goodies don't?
Why couldn't there be two/three different winners? It takes nothing away from us if also the lovers win, or vice versa. I think they just want to survive together, not at the expense of others.
And basically the longer they stay alive, the better for us since they can work from the basis that they know a bit more than just their own innocence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
I'm eratic, kind of crazy.
You never guess how I misread that.

Quote:
Whatever these people say, believe the opposite: Agan and Fea
I think Boro looks rather innocent and smart, you know, a player who's good to have around.

Greenie - maybe you should calm down and ignore Boro and phantom? It might save you from lots of headache.

Last edited by Aganzir; 05-19-2009 at 02:12 PM. Reason: xed with Lomz
Aganzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:16 PM   #48
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Lari was just being weird. Boro- he was just checking/testing.~tp
A test yes, but a test to find out about you? Throw out my past experiences, where my entire strategy rested on whether I thought you were innocent or not, I am trying to adjust so everything isn't about you. Besides I know you are always on your toes and would never fall for any of my tests.

So, a test you are right, but you are being used as the controlled variable, not what I am testing. Don't worry, you will be richly compensated for involuntarily taking part in the experiment.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:19 PM   #49
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
You never guess how I misread that.~Agan
Did you imagine reading an "o" in place of another vowel?
Old 05-19-2009, 02:21 PM   #50
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Did you imagine reading an "o" in place of another vowel?
I didn't imagine it, I tell you! It was there!
Old 05-19-2009, 02:25 PM   #51
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
I didn't imagine it, I tell you! It was there!
hmm...Agan's got her love glasses...on. (Or should it be beer goggles?)

Edit: the link

Last edited by Boromir88; 05-19-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:51 PM   #52
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mirandir is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
*runs in* I DID NOT forget about this little meeting. It simply...slipped my mind. As usual. I do need to make a trip to the...market...before it closes but I shall return! *scampers off*
Old 05-19-2009, 02:52 PM   #53
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
Oh Boro, what are we going to do with you? If someone wants tp dead fast, they have an excellent start on it. I for one would rather leave him be for now.

Being on Lommy and Agan's good list for once is weird, but it makes sense for thls game. I mean, I'm actually talking about people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
I have known some slimy frenchmen in my time... but they disposed of their princes with the guillotine...
Nice.

I'll be gone for a few hours more, but I have the entire evening ahead of me. So I'll be back. And try and accomplish something while I'm gone, eh?

Last edited by McCaber; 05-19-2009 at 02:53 PM. Reason: fixed quotes, crossed with Mirandir.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:04 PM   #54
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
hmm...Agan's got her love glasses...on. (Or should it be beer goggles?)
Bah I don't wear glasses nor do I drink beer (it's bad, eww).

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber View Post
Being on Lommy and Agan's good list for once is weird
Why? Would we hit closer if we had you listed as evil?
Old 05-19-2009, 03:12 PM   #55
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nienna has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to Nienna Send a message via MSN to Nienna
I have a Good Book and a Bad Book. Come buy them from me! I take all forms of denomination and will even barter for goats.

And Mr. The Phantom if you keep up this name calling I may just to add you to my Bad Book. Tsk Tsk.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:12 PM   #56
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Bah I don't wear glasses nor do I drink beer (it's bad, eww).
WRONG! You clearly haven't had good beer.

Beer is actually awesome.

Last edited by Gwathagor; 05-19-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Gwathagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:16 PM   #57
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

I would say our best hope is to be so amusing that the Mod refuses to kill us. Here's my suggestion to grant us immortality. Tonight, we do this.

Seer- dream of me
Fairy Godmother- protect me
Hunter- hunt me
Hansel- cancel my vote
Gretel- double my vote
Fair Maiden- guess me
Princess- guess me
Frog- guess me
Prince- guess me
Baddies- kill me
Bridegroom- guess me

Seriously. That would be a record that would never be beaten. Come on now, first day and night can be rather random anyway. Might as well make history.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
I think it's either a scheme or a joke between friends and in both cases I advice to ignore it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agan
Greenie - maybe you should calm down and ignore Boro and phantom?
Oh boy, Boro. We're back to this. Seems so familiar.
Quote:
Don't worry, you will be richly compensated for involuntarily taking part in the experiment.
Oh, goodie. I love gifts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber
And try and accomplish something while I'm gone, eh?
Like what? Kill someone? But do you really want that to happen while you're gone? I don't think you really meant that.

Oooo.... I know what we could do! False reveals!! Now, if I recall, the Lovers are never allowed to say "I'm the Frog" or anything like that, but it never says you can't say "I'm the Hunter" and "I'm the Princess" and "I'm the BBW" (if you're really not). So if Prince Charming were to reveal as every role in the village, but not Prince Charming, we'd know he is Prince Charming!

Oh, but wait.... if he causes us to realize his identity, could it be argued he did in fact reveal? Bah. I'm leaving.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:17 PM   #58
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Very wrong! Anyone who hates beer ought to be under automatic suspicion.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:17 PM   #59
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

*sigh* well I can't say my investigations have been particularly helpful. A lot of people seem odd but then that is to be expected in the circumstances.

Lommie and Boro make odd early posts.

Nerwen is probably the most amusing and for that I would keep her around a while though I know too well she has been evil and hysterically funny before...

Inziladun- I can understand the work limitations just concerned that so much effort has been put into finding him a nick name. Not his fault but surely we have greater priorities - I am beginning to worry that "finding a nickname" for Inszladun wil become synonymous with "rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic".

Kath seems ok - I got the deadline confused too so I am in sympathy. For now. Besides if she is innocent she is bound to die early...

Agan seems ok so far too.

Boro is worrying me. I don't like the first post. I don't like him saying I can judge him. So often I have got him right but maybe you have been gone too long or I know how good you can be when you are bad. Can't say I trust you yet.... especially with that vote for phantom...retractable so may be flying a kite.. but dangerous given that Lari had already voted for him.

And the phantom.... I wonder .. .he namechecks people who haven't yet posted in his early (first?) post> Qwath and Gaur ... significant? If so perhaps more likely to be evil than good... a gifted would only know about one person, wolfs often mention their colleagues to avoid accusations of NOT mentioning them when they become known... but TP is a more sophisticated thinker than I so what do I know.

Zilch but I don't have to vote til tomorrow thank goodness.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:19 PM   #60
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Qwath..haha. Makes me think of quaff, which makes me think of beer.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:21 PM   #61
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

But it would only be an extension of the Mormegil effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
Seriously. That would be a record that would never be beaten. Come on now, first day and night can be rather random anyway. Might as well make history.
In my first game as mod, Morm was Mr Popular (The Seer, Ranger and Mythomaniac all picked him). The wolves didn't because he was one of them.

No organisation .. you might have superior numbers but it would be a contrived imitation. Besides there are more important things than massaging your ego.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:24 PM   #62
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Surprise, surprise - Phantom wants to be the center of attention again. Or maybe it's that he IS the center of attention, whether we like it or not, and he's simply accepted that fact?

Crossed with Mith.

Last edited by Gwathagor; 05-19-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Gwathagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:31 PM   #63
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Quote:
In my first game as mod, Morm was Mr Popular (The Seer, Ranger and Mythomaniac all picked him). The wolves didn't because he was one of them.
And it led to an evil win. Therefore don't follow phantom's plan unless you want that. That said we only all picked morm because we figured he was evil straight away ... well, except the Ranger clearly.

... is my way of saying I'm back! I'm actually going to have to vote toNight but not for about an hour or so. I'll be hanging around for a bit, having a read through and a think.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:32 PM   #64
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
Before you meet the handsome prince you have to kiss a lot of frogs

Before you meet the handsome prince you have to kiss a lot of toads~Mith
If you are petitioning to be my recipient, it's working and a I love it. I am sorry if it disappoints you, however, to learn that I am not french and I just shaved yesterday in case this dreamy fairytale were to come true.

Quote:
haha.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:32 PM   #65
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Quote:
I would say our best hope is to be so amusing that the Mod refuses to kill us. Here's my suggestion to grant us immortality. Tonight, we do this.

Seer- dream of me
Fairy Godmother- protect me
Hunter- hunt me
Hansel- cancel my vote
Gretel- double my vote
Fair Maiden- guess me
Princess- guess me
Frog- guess me
Prince- guess me
Baddies- kill me
Bridegroom- guess me

Oh, goodie. I love gifts.

Like what? Kill someone? But do you really want that to happen while you're gone? I don't think you really meant that.

Oooo.... I know what we could do! False reveals!! Now, if I recall, the Lovers are never allowed to say "I'm the Frog" or anything like that, but it never says you can't say "I'm the Hunter" and "I'm the Princess" and "I'm the BBW" (if you're really not). So if Prince Charming were to reveal as every role in the village, but not Prince Charming, we'd know he is Prince Charming!

Oh, but wait.... if he causes us to realize his identity, could it be argued he did in fact reveal? Bah. I'm leaving.
Wow....I think I should just kill you now and get it over with. Cause that's a terrible idea....

Hypothetical situation: If the wielder of the looking glass reveals himself and then he reveals one of the Lovers, it's not like they have to deny it. So basically, they can't reveal themselves, but they can go along with it if someone else reveals them. No, that does not mean the Lovers can reveal each other.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:32 PM   #66
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

By the way ...

I would like to say that I do like beer... and it is nearly time for Ringwood's Boondoggle .... not that Old Thumper and Forty niner are not fine beers .... but

Old 05-19-2009, 03:36 PM   #67
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Huh, so is Boro really trying to test us, or did he just pick up on that suggestion from Phantom and decide to run with it? If the former is the case, then I presume the test is to see who else votes for Phantom and how - whether it turns into a bandwagon. That seems risky to me. Surely, Boro, you could "test" the village without risking the life of one of our better players?

Crossed with everyone since Me.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:38 PM   #68
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I'm shocked that this game has started already (and to be honest, a little irritated that I still manage to be an Ordinary Villager when there's only four in the entire game.)

Let me reread the first page and the rest of this page and I'll get back.

*fletches arrows madly to make up for lost time*
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:48 PM   #69
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Alright, I've read.

And Wilwa is right; I'm not a morning person.

I have one thing to quote and reply to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber
And in the past I've been an effective villain by staying rather quiet, so I know from personal experience to get the silent ones first.
Bah. You're always "rather quiet".

And one suggestion for the village; lynch Phantom or Boro today. If both of them are around for too long, this game will go from "confusing" to "mind-numbingly complicated".

Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Old 05-19-2009, 03:54 PM   #70
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Shasta, Eomer, and Gwath are safe from me for two days. Maybe more. We'll see.

Boro, Gaurcrist, Inzil, Green, and Mith are safe for one day.

Nienna will never be safe- that pandering book wench! She's evil. Even if she isn't evil, she is, in fact, evil.

Fea..... I have nothing to say, except- without stories, how boring would life be?

I suggest we lynch no one.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:59 PM   #71
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin View Post
I'm shocked that this game has started already (and to be honest, a little irritated that I still manage to be an Ordinary Villager when there's only four in the entire game.)

Err Shasta, if you are an innocent, is that really the most helpful thing you could post? Not going to be any Captain Oates acts from you then are there?

And Boro, I don't want to kiss you, or indeed anyone at the moment ..unless perhaps they happen to be made of chocolate.... Any takers for including Goldilocks and the three (grizzly) bears...

Old 05-19-2009, 04:07 PM   #72
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
I suggest we lynch no one.~tp
Hmm...pretty good suggestion considering the amount of specials and assets we have (including Shasta ). The chance of a disastrous lynch is greater.

Quote:
And Boro, I don't want to kiss you, or indeed anyone at the moment ..unless perhaps they happen to be made of chocolate~Mith
I can be made of chocolate if that pleases you, but I ask do not take being nominated for the Arda Cup out on me, I had nothing to do with that. I swear, it was all tp's idea and pushed through by Skip.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:09 PM   #73
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Err Shasta, if you are an innocent, is that really the most helpful thing you could post? Not going to be any Captain Oates acts from you then are there?
Weeeeellll, Mith darling, I've decided that this game is going to be somewhat wild, and after all, one must keep up with the times, mustn't one?
Old 05-19-2009, 04:10 PM   #74
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

I suppose though, if Phantom plans to grant me the courtesy of not voting for me, it would be scurrilous of me not to do the same.

Oh well. I suppose I'll just have to vote for Boromir first.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #75
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Shasta, Eomer, and Gwath are safe from me for two days.
Safe from you? What would you to to us if we weren't?
Old 05-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #76
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin View Post
Oh well. I suppose I'll just have to vote for Boromir first.
When was the last time you didn't vote for either of us on Day 1?
Old 05-19-2009, 04:14 PM   #77
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

By the way, you can't trust someone's promises, but you can trust votes...and see I already voted so you are already safe from me.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:14 PM   #78
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Quote:
When was the last time you didn't vote for either of us on Day 1?
There's something to be said for consistency, don't you agree?
Old 05-19-2009, 04:16 PM   #79
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Can you all stop hitting on me. I am so not in the mood....

*stomps off chewing a vast bar of Dairy Milk growling "leave me alone"*

Old 05-19-2009, 04:19 PM   #80
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwath
Because such a thing as good beer does not exist? My taste is just too sophisticated for beer.

I agree with Mith about Lommy & Boro's first posts being odd but I wouldn't read too much into them because it's not easy to be the first poster.
However I don't think Boro's phantom vote makes him suspicious, I recall he likes to have fun with retractable votes at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta
a little irritated that I still manage to be an Ordinary Villager when there's only four in the entire game.
Basically that's not a good thing to say for an ordo since it narrows down the field of possible Red Caps and therefore makes it easier for the Big Bad Wolf to guess her identity.

I'm planning to go to sleep soon.

Last edited by Aganzir; 05-19-2009 at 04:19 PM. Reason: xed since Shasta's #73
Aganzir is offline   Reply With Quote