The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2009, 02:14 AM   #121
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
That too, Nerwen, but I'm running a bit low on brains today (shut it!) so if anyone's putting them out there I've admittedly missed them. And really, I don't think I specified. If I was really mean I'd speak in them entirely, but I'm too lazy.
...swollag eht ot deggard flesruoy dnif uoy dluohs ecnerefer ot elba eb ll'uoy senecs htaed emosewa eht fo kniht tsuj :gnitouq eht fo tsom od uoy fi retteb ylbaborp s'ti tcaf nI .rettam t'nseod ti ,lleW

."eht" a tuo tfel :TIDE

Last edited by Nerwen; 08-13-2009 at 03:14 AM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:32 AM   #122
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
...swollag ot deggard flesruoy dnif uoy dluohs ecnerefer ot elba eb ll'uoy senecs htaed emosewa eht fo kniht tsuj :gnitouq eht fo tsom od uoy fi retteb ylbaborp s'ti tcaf nI .rettam t'nseod ti ,lleW

Trufax. Oooo look! Four pages!

Tis a far, far better....oh wait, sorry, movie quotes. My bad.

Anyway now that we've got four pages (or at least the start of a fourth page) I think I'll leave the babbling in the rest of your capable paws.

(Okay, now I'm mad. Envision, if you will, the scene from Robin Hood Men in Tights where he says goodbye in like six languages, because for some reason I can't find it on youtube. Sorry about that, lovelies. Oh, and g'night!)
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:48 AM   #123
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta
Also, it wouldn't be a werewolf game if I didn't jump on Phantom for something. Phantom, say something extremely arrogant and pigheaded so I can vote for you, 'kay?
Do you really need him to say something in order to find an excuse to vote him? I've been told that tp has never been lynched and if that's true, than surely it's a good enough reason alone to be voting him.

On a more serious note, I will have to vote early toDay as I plan to see a Broadway show tonight (haven't decided which) and most likely won't be back by deadline. There's a chance I'll be around early evening, but just in case, I will probably vote late morning/early afternoon (EST).

Anyway, it's super late so I must go. It's up to everyone else now to post, and perhaps we'll make it to five pages by morning, though I'm not sure since it's emptied out in here and will probably be dead for the next few hours...
Old 08-13-2009, 03:03 AM   #124
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Hi everybody, just got up and finished reading through the early morning pages. Doesn't look like I've missed anything of substance, except for discussion of the phantom's little strategy paper, which I need some time to think about. Unfortunately, I'm a bit in a hurry right now and must be off to work, but I'll be back with you shortly after the middle of the Day.
About phantom's proposal to the Bear to join forces against the wolves with us - might work for a time, but if Tame-Eye wants to win, he'll have to turn on us sooner or later, and vice-versa. The same applies to him joining the wolves against us, of course. Reminds me of the old saying: Do not attempt to treat with bears, for you are juicy and good with honey!
Old 08-13-2009, 05:43 AM   #125
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Wow, I'm astounded by the lack of any real substance based on the volume of posts. Personally I feel that phantom speaks wisely. It doesn't mean he is an innocent but for the innocents it's a good thing for the seer and other such gifted to leave coded clues so that if they are killed we have some solid info to go on. I have a few that I suspect at this point but I will hold off until I hear from more.

As far as you idea to vote 30 minutes prior to the deadline I'm not sure I like that. I think most having stated their intention is sufficient but imposing an artificial deadline may not make sense and artificially hurt us.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:46 AM   #126
Nessa Telrunya
Shade of Carn Dűm

Nessa Telrunya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via AIM to Nessa Telrunya
Oh wow! I wake up in the morning and we're on PAGE FOUR?

All I can say is that I would've helped, but little girls like me are supposed to be asleep in the early a.m's.

Even worse, in all FOUR (three?) pages, no one has said anything for me to blame them. And to think I was hoping for such a miracle. ToT

But tp's plan seems sound enough to me. The only problem is that it unnervingly reminds me of a similar scenario in TiG III involving Fordim Hedgthistle. Except there, it was used as a basis for Day one votes. (Yeah, I like to read through the older games-helps a doof like me figure things out )

I won't be surprised if someone uses peoples reactions to that plan to decide on their vote. It seems to happen a lot.

edit: crossed with morm
Old 08-13-2009, 05:47 AM   #127
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
After going through three full pages of this, I now entirely sympathize with a certain Nog, who apparently has a deep understanding of brain hurting.

As for Candor Man's minor controvery about the Gifted clues, all I can say is he does 'walk the walk' in that regard. One needs to be very deliberate and subtle when trying to leave clues like that, however.
Well, now that I've had a refreshing sleep, I'll be around off and on the rest of the day.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:57 AM   #128
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
*logs on*
*sees 4 pages posted during the night*
*turns dark green*

!snoroM
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:28 AM   #129
autume98
Shade of Carn Dűm

autume98 has just left Hobbiton.
That was some interesting reading. Not a lot of substance, but very entertaining.

I like what tp said about leaving clues. I just hope that someone else picks up on what others say. It seems as though I have a hard time picking these things up. Totally did not see the Seer comments Boro left behind last game to throw people off his trail.

Quote:
But tp's plan seems sound enough to me. The only problem is that it unnervingly reminds me of a similar scenario in TiG III involving Fordim Hedgthistle. Except there, it was used as a basis for Day one votes. (Yeah, I like to read through the older games-helps a doof like me figure things out )
This sounds like a good idea Nessa. I must find these archives. Maybe I'll be able to figure things out this way too.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:30 AM   #130
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Hints of the type phantom described are certainly a good thing, but the type Sally suggests are riskier (which has me uneasy about Sally). Under certain circumstances phantom-hints can even amount to the next best thing to proof . Surely you can figure those circumstances out for yourselves, so I have no need to explain them.
By the way, all this backwards reading is starting to make the regular text look reversed to me. All of you ought to be ashamed for hurting Smeagol's poor eyeses, precious.
Now, as for the phantom deadline, to sum up what I said earlier: I don't think it'll go over big, since a lot of people consider last-minute voting the best part of the game. Don't expect me to abide by it.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:48 AM   #131
Nessa Telrunya
Shade of Carn Dűm

Quote:
Originally Posted by autume98 View Post
This sounds like a good idea Nessa. I must find these archives. Maybe I'll be able to figure things out this way too.

Well, I just go to older threads in Mirth. Makes for good reading, and it's fun to guess who is who while you read.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:51 AM   #132
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I am now here. I overslept an hour and well yea. I have now caught up by reading through all the pages. I haven an idea on how to start figuring out who the wolves are. Boro told us in the admin thread that some of the roles would be picked based on those surveys. My guess is that the people who got put down for trusted the most are the wolves and cobbler. The ones who got put down for distrust the most are probably now just ordinaries. What do you all think? Should we post out answers to the survey?
Old 08-13-2009, 06:55 AM   #133
Nessa Telrunya
Shade of Carn Dűm

That may be what he had in mind, just to try and make this game that much more interesting. But couldn't the wolves exploit that reasoning by saying they distrust each other?
Old 08-13-2009, 06:59 AM   #134
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The roles were sent out after the surveys were all sent in. You are right that the wolves could have altered it but still there are more ordinaries then any other role. If the gifted people and the ordinaries all post the truthful surveys then we could figure out who the wolves are.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:06 AM   #135
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Hakon, in every game I've played with you you've suggested something that sounds at least close to cheating.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:06 AM   #136
Nessa Telrunya
Shade of Carn Dűm

Maybe, if that is how Boro chose roles. We would have to tally up everyone's answers though, if we were to do that.

I myself would rather have more concrete evidence, based on someone slipping up. It's too easy to be tricked in any strategy, however, if that's all we have to go on...

I say, Day one is the hardest vote of all, merely because there's nothing to go on.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:07 AM   #137
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

This is my second game ever. What did I suggest last game that was so bad? Was it the idea of looking for clues in the narration posts?

Day one is the hardest. I think that looking at these surveys may help us on day one. We still have well over 12 hours left to the day. Let us take a look at these surveys.

Last edited by Hakon; 08-13-2009 at 07:09 AM. Reason: crossed with Nessa
Hakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:09 AM   #138
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

If I recall correctly, you suggested PMing other players without permission as a test.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:10 AM   #139
Nessa Telrunya
Shade of Carn Dűm

I sense a little tension here. >_>
Old 08-13-2009, 07:14 AM   #140
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
If I recall correctly, you suggested PMing other players without permission as a test.
I did not suggest that and I did not do that either. Test for what?
Old 08-13-2009, 07:16 AM   #141
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Alright, 4 pages of almost exclusively nonsense. If you people start talking sense in the same volume toMorrow, I shall turn green again.

phantom's "the gifted shall leave clues" is a) blatantly obvious for those gifteds who would have left clues anyway, and b) slightly dangerous for those who weren't going to. Their clues might be clumsy and their deaths now maybe impending. To each gifted his own, I say. Play the way you're comfortable playing.

I don't understand the benefit of earlier artificial deadline. Luckily it's not realistic anyway.

After 4 pages, tp's page 1 suggestions are still the best thing to comment on? *shakes head*

*reloads*

Ah, something new!

First to post his/her survey shall be the first to be lynched, k? They were supposed to be confidential and it's exclusively up to Boro to post them.

And play nicely, kids...
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:19 AM   #142
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hey I just think surveys are a good way to catch wolves. Just discussing it might help someone slip up.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:22 AM   #143
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakon View Post
Hey I just think surveys are a good way to catch wolves. Just discussing it might help someone slip up.
For what it is worth I believe pregame items such as PM's surveys etc... are banned and are considered cheating. It is an honor code system and the expectation is that all adhere to it. I would consider banning somebody from WW if they are caught cheating. I would drop the topic and move on.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:23 AM   #144
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
What's to ensure everyone doing so would be honest?
Old 08-13-2009, 07:24 AM   #145
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Alright. I will drop the topic for now.

Nothing would stop someone for lying. I just think that the ordinaries would be honest since it would help catch the wolves. The cobbler, bear and wolves might lie but if the ordinaries tell the truth that helps a lot. I also think that the gifteds would tell the truth

Last edited by Hakon; 08-13-2009 at 07:25 AM. Reason: crossed with Inzil
Hakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:25 AM   #146
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
*a very beatiful and powerful voice is heard in the distance*

Wild-eye's mother was a hamster and his father smelt of elderberries....
Old 08-13-2009, 07:27 AM   #147
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Quote:
I did not suggest that and I did not do that either. Test for what?
Sorry, I had you mixed up with Hansy.

Suffice to say, though, as the posters above noted, your suggestion would amount to cheating.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:29 AM   #148
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwarin538 View Post
*a very beatiful and powerful voice is heard in the distance*

Wild-eye's mother was a hamster and his father smelt of elderberries....
Silence, foul nightmare of lepidopterists! We will defeat you yet!
Old 08-13-2009, 07:30 AM   #149
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Hakon, did you just edit to add to the content of your post, or is my mind playing tricks on me? If so, you should know that editing for any purpose other than to note that you crossed with someone is always against the rules. (If you didn't and I really am going crazy, please disregard.)
Old 08-13-2009, 07:32 AM   #150
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Hakon, did you just edit to add to the content of your post, or is my mind playing tricks on me? If so, you should know that editing for any purpose other than to note that you crossed with someone is always against the rules. (If you didn't and I really am going crazy, please disregard.)
I did edit in the sense that I clicked the edit button and filled in the reason for editing box. I did not actually edit the post itself.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:41 AM   #151
Nessa Telrunya
Shade of Carn Dűm

Well, at least now the conversation is boiling down to the problem at hand, rather than other oddities that only serve to up the page count.

I think the most likely strategy, that everyone will most likely fall into anyways, is to blindly vote Day one as they always have, and then look back at who voted who, and who was Night killed for motives.

But the problem lies in this: when all we can do toDay is vote blindly, how will our votes mean anything? There's no point in giving a well-thought reason when there's nothing to go on for us villagers(and gifteds). If we just tell the truth about why we're voting instead of trying to sound smart(guilty here) then it will be easier to distinguish who is who. Only the wolves are sure of who they need to kill: everyone. And that means that they will be glad with whatever lynch they can get on the first day, provided none of them die.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:48 AM   #152
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nienna has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to Nienna Send a message via MSN to Nienna
*is slightly overwhelmed*

Wow... lots of pages without a lot of substance...eh... it's day one. I have read up to the best of my ability. I'm in class posting (oops) so I won't be around for real until later.

I agree with Mac that the gifteds should do what they are comfortable with and now thanks to TP I'm sure the ones that weren't contemplating leaving clues are thinking about it now.

Survey answers were confidential I believe.

I'll try to keep reading as I can but no guarantees until later.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:49 AM   #153
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

I just tried to make a list, only to find that most of the players either haven't posted, posted only to say they're here, or posted only banter. I'll save the list for such time as I have something to say on it.

Four pages of nothing. You ought to be ashamed! Of those I've had a chance to form some impression of:

Hakon: I have some thoughts about his suggestion and the reasoning attached to it, but those probably should be considered meta-game and inadmissible, and discussion of them might even hurt the village - so I'll just say I find him slightly suspicious.
The phantom -I approve of any attempts to get people talking by making suggestions (or in tp's case, what looks like an attempt at making orders). That said, it doesn't make him look any more innocent.
Inzil - Said something fishy, I would like to know why he thought it was a good idea to point out what he pointed out.
Newren - C htiw snigeb taht gnihtemos eye elttil ym htiw yps I.

EDIT: X'd with Nessa and Nienna.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:56 AM   #154
Nessa Telrunya
Shade of Carn Dűm

I would love to be able to form solid opinions of everyone like Rikae, but, as has been noticed multiple times, there has been nothing to go on. The funny thing is, there is more substance in her one post than has been in the last few pages. And I hate lynching people who have nothing against them. That contradicts the idea that you're supposed to use your head in this game.

There may be a list forthcoming(oh no!), but I regret that you must wait for it.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:57 AM   #155
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessa Telrunya View Post
I think the most likely strategy, that everyone will most likely fall into anyways, is to blindly vote Day one as they always have, and then look back at who voted who, and who was Night killed for motives.

But the problem lies in this: when all we can do toDay is vote blindly, how will our votes mean anything? There's no point in giving a well-thought reason when there's nothing to go on for us villagers(and gifteds). If we just tell the truth about why we're voting instead of trying to sound smart(guilty here) then it will be easier to distinguish who is who. Only the wolves are sure of who they need to kill: everyone. And that means that they will be glad with whatever lynch they can get on the first day, provided none of them die.
What exactly are you suggesting by "tell the truth instead of trying to sound smart" - that those with reasoning behind their votes should be suspected, while those who say "oh, it's just a random vote, Day 1 sucks, tralala" should be given a free pass? If we do that, we'll have hardly anything to go on Day 2, either.
I, for one, rarely vote blindly. Wolves have been caught on Day 1 by analyzing their posts - the biggest obstacle to this are the people who sidetrack everything into an argument about how useless Day 1 is and refuse too get to work wolf-hunting. To avoid contributing to such sidetracking, this is the last thing I intend to say on the topic of the usefulness or pointlessness of Day one. Just be aware that complaining about this supposed pointlessness is:
a) one of my philosophy-of-werewolfing pet peeves, and more importantly:
b) highly suspicious in my eyes.

'nuff said.

EDIT: X'd with Nessa

Last edited by Rikae; 08-13-2009 at 08:00 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:57 AM   #156
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Inzil - Said something fishy, I would like to know why he thought it was a good idea to point out what he pointed out.
Well, I haven't said a great deal, so it seems you must be referring to my advice to Gifteds who may take tp's suggestion to be careful about it.

Something wrong with that?
Old 08-13-2009, 08:03 AM   #157
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessa Telrunya View Post
I would love to be able to form solid opinions of everyone like Rikae, but, as has been noticed multiple times, there has been nothing to go on. The funny thing is, there is more substance in her one post than has been in the last few pages. And I hate lynching people who have nothing against them. That contradicts the idea that you're supposed to use your head in this game.

There may be a list forthcoming(oh no!), but I regret that you must wait for it.
???

I have solid opinions of everybody? News to me. I have vague feelings about four people. However, I at least have those and say so, rather then complaining about the lack of solid evidence. There is essentially no 100% solid evidence in this game, even later on. That is not an excuse to vote randomly.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:05 AM   #158
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Well, I haven't said a great deal, so it seems you must be referring to my advice to Gifteds who may take tp's suggestion to be careful about it.

Something wrong with that?
Oh, let's have it out in the open. You referred to tp "walking the walk" on leaving hints. If you believe he is, why on earth would you point it out?
Old 08-13-2009, 08:05 AM   #159
Nessa Telrunya
Shade of Carn Dűm

Quote:
What exactly are you suggesting by "tell the truth instead of trying to sound smart" - that those with reasoning behind their votes should be suspected, while those who say "oh, it's just a random vote, Day 1 sucks, tralala" should be given a free pass? If we do that, we'll have hardly anything to go on Day 2, either.
I, for one, rarely vote blindly. Wolves have been caught on Day 1 by analyzing their posts - the biggest obstacle to this are the people who sidetrack everything into an argument about how useless Day 1 is and refuse too get to work wolf-hunting. To avoid contributing to such sidetracking, this is the last thing I intend to say on the topic of the usefulness or pointlessness of Day one. Just be aware that complaining about this supposed pointlessness is:
a) one of my philosophy-of-werewolfing pet peeves, and more importantly:
b) highly suspicious in my eyes.

'nuff said.

EDIT: X'd with Nessa

No, I think it's excellent when someone has a sensible reason, only it's easy for one to vote based on banter rather than substance. That's what I'm trying to say. But I'd rather hear an obvious statement out of the speaker's desire to help the village than a genius plot from a wolf and their respective trickery.

edit: crossed since Inzil
Old 08-13-2009, 08:10 AM   #160
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Sometimes innocents and gifteds play tricks, too.