The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2009, 11:23 AM   #241
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally
The Rudolph contingent?
Um...

*scratches head*
Old 08-13-2009, 11:23 AM   #242
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
You, phantom dear, are dangerously close....to what, I don't know, but dangerously close....

*hugs Mac and offers him a cookie*

I have to leave in about an hour and a half, with no guarantee that I'll be back. Letting you all know now.

EDIT: x'd with Phantom's last. I meant submarines, kiddo.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:25 AM   #243
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Didn't Boro just say we were not supposed to post our answers?

Phantom, if you repeated what you said, that what not be an answer.

Post utter nonsense, but "helpful" nonsense, and then call anyone who questions it a wolf. Now there's a strategy.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:25 AM   #244
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Ahh, one more thing before I depart. Fea has to part company from all of us. She will be killed at the end of the day. And her role will be revealed then.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:27 AM   #245
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Hence the headdesk, Rikae. But I think we should discuss something else before my head explodes.

Oh no, not Fea!

(Hey, if Greenie's available, or anyone else that wanted to play for that matter, I'd be okay with them stepping in if that's all right with everyone else. Just sayin'.)

ETA: To clarify, my thing to Rikae was regarding the release of our lists, not Phantom.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:28 AM   #246
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally
I meant submarines, kiddo.
Not exactly. You've earned 1/4 of a cookie with that answer.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:28 AM   #247
alonariel
Wight

alonariel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to alonariel Send a message via MSN to alonariel Send a message via Skype™ to alonariel
Oh gosh. I go to bed at 10 last night, and nearing the end of page 2, and wake up to find page 7?!?

*dies*

I'm reading through all the posts now (I'm somewhere on page 4...) but my god! That is quite a feat for Day One. I see Boro encouraged it... *runs off to get a pick axe*
Old 08-13-2009, 11:29 AM   #248
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
Not exactly. You've earned 1/4 of a cookie with that answer.
Oh goodie! Better than nothing, after all.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:29 AM   #249
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Aw, Fea.

Perhaps I'll vote for her. Low risk.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:31 AM   #250
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Agreeing with phantom makes me uneasy, but in this case I do. What did he really say at the beginning, but 'Hey Bear, you might want to help us out a bit in looking for wolves; after all they're looking to kill you too'?
If the bear agrees, fine. If not, we'll just have to deal with it.
I don't see the problem.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:31 AM   #251
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
phantom, you have conveniently left out the possibility that you and/or Hakon are evil. If somebody engages in behavior I consider pointless, I have to ask myself... well, let me put it this way:
either you are a liar or you're crazy. I know from past experience you aren't crazy, therefore you must be a liar.
The option that you are God is not viable in this case.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:32 AM   #252
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
Ahh, one more thing before I depart. Fea has to part company from all of us. She will be killed at the end of the day. And her role will be revealed then.
Aw, that's too bad.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:33 AM   #253
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
phantom, you have conveniently left out the possibility that you and/or Hakon are evil. If somebody engages in behavior I consider pointless, I have to ask myself... well, let me put it this way:
either you are a liar or you're crazy. I know from past experience you aren't crazy, therefore you must be a liar.
I wish I hadn't repped you so recently, because that last bit is gold.

And Phantom is crazy, remember? Even when he's an ordo. Doesn't mean I trust him, but I know he's a nutjob so I'm not going to automatically assume he's going to drive down here and kill me in my sleep. At least not tonight; I won't be home.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:35 AM   #254
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Aw, Fea.

Perhaps I'll vote for her. Low risk.
I don't think a vote for Fea is a wise thing to do and it will quickly make me suspicious for anybody that does vote for her.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:41 AM   #255
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktor
phantom, you have conveniently left out the possibility that you and/or Hakon are evil.
And what exactly would we stand to gain by suggesting that the Bear kill Villains? Being evil has nothing to do with this.
Quote:
If somebody engages in behavior I consider pointless, I have to ask myself...
You may think our idea is pointless, but your objections are certainly just as pointless. Call it even then.
Quote:
That's what you think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MQ Girl
I'm not going to automatically assume he's going to drive down here and kill me in my sleep.
Quite right, so be nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzil
Agreeing with phantom makes me uneasy, but in this case I do. What did he really say at the beginning, but 'Hey Bear, you might want to help us out a bit in looking for wolves; after all they're looking to kill you too'?
If the bear agrees, fine. If not, we'll just have to deal with it.
I don't see the problem.
Yay, Inzil.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:42 AM   #256
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

I'd generally advocate voting for the doomed player to prolong the game and allow more time for discussion on which to base our lynches, but in this case, it seems like a bad idea. The baddies have two kills per night (unless Fea is the werebear!) so delay is going to set us back more. We need to try and get the number of Night kills down asap, and we won't do that by lynching Fea.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:43 AM   #257
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Erm....I think he was kidding. Right, Phantom?
Old 08-13-2009, 11:45 AM   #258
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Man
I don't think a vote for Fea is a wise thing to do and it will quickly make me suspicious for anybody that does vote for her.
Why? At least we wouldn't off a gifted that way.

I admit that it would be somewhat cowardly, but surely you can understand the urge that an innocent might have to cut losses? It's not playing properly perhaps, but to say that it is actually suspicious...

Is it any worse than a ++no vote?
Old 08-13-2009, 11:46 AM   #259
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:

I admit that it would be somewhat cowardly, but surely you can understand the urge that an innocent might have to cut losses? It's not playing properly perhaps, but to say that it is actually suspicious...

Fair point, actually. But I think it'd be weird. Just sayin'. I mean I'm not going to vote you for it, but I'm not supporting it either.

Anyway, back to business. I have to vote in like an hour. Someone give me a reason not to vote Hakon.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:48 AM   #260
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

I've made my worst mistakes in werewolf because of my tendency to assume that if anyone I consider especially intelligent does something illogical, they must be evil. I am really fighting the impulse to do that now.

(Other players may note that if I suspect them for being illogical, they can take it as a compliment. )
Old 08-13-2009, 11:48 AM   #261
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
It is an exceptionally safe vote that doesn't leave any sort of trail of evidence. Because once it is decided that Fea will be voted for it gives far too easy a way for wolves/bear to hide.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:51 AM   #262
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Quote:

You've seen me argue for just that before, I think - but in this case, this innocent has a far stronger urge to reduce the baddies' numbers as soon as possible. Perhaps it's because I think we have a good chance of lynching one toDay, for some reason... though I can't quite say why.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:53 AM   #263
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
You've seen me argue for just that before, I think - but in this case, this innocent has a far stronger urge to reduce the baddies' numbers as soon as possible. Perhaps it's because I think we have a good chance of lynching one toDay, for some reason... though I can't quite say why.
Maybe its because in the last two games a werewolf was lynched on day one. Let us hope it is the same here.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:54 AM   #264
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Ah, so it's mainly the lack of an evidence trail that you don't like. I see.

I agree with that, but I'm also the paranoid type who fears the worst.

In WW III for instance I suggested that some Ordo volunteer to be lynched due to the fact that we had a host of useful gifteds that could win the game for us and I didn't want them dead immediately.

No one volunteered and my idea was looked at as being very suspicious.

We lynched our Ranger Day 1.

Anyway, I'm not saying lynching Fea is the best option, but what if we were to make sure she had at least a couple votes? That way if, near the deadline, the person who moves into the lead says, "No, I'm the Ranger!" and is sufficiently believable, we have an alternate target to pour our votes onto without the fear that we're switching from the Ranger to the Seer (or being fooled by a baddie).

I doubt I'll actually vote for her, but I wouldn't be opposed to her gaining two votes or so.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:05 PM   #265
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakon View Post
Maybe its because in the last two games a werewolf was lynched on day one. Let us hope it is the same here.
Well, I wasn't in the last game, but in this game we have, first of all, lots of baddies, which increases the odds of getting one by pure chance, and the surveys, which, if we could get off of this bear topic, could be very helpful.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:13 PM   #266
alonariel
Wight

alonariel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to alonariel Send a message via MSN to alonariel Send a message via Skype™ to alonariel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariren Shadow View Post
There is the idea that the people we trusted were made the wolves, which would be devious. But that is possibly too obvious. Then everyone would just say who they trusted and be done with it and vote for them. I'm of the mind that one of the people we trusted most is a gifted, another is a wolf, and possibly a third is the bear.
I would think that the people who we put down as 'feared' were made wolves and the ones that we 'trusted' were made gifted/ordos. Pretty much agreed all around with ya, Lari

Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil View Post
++Hakon

I think him pulling on the fact that I mentioned phantom pre-game is odd and seems an attempt to cast early suspicions. Clearly it failed and he wisely backed off but the seed was still planted. It could be knee-jerk but I still thought it odd. Of course, and as always Rikae is somewhat suspicious.
Though I think Hakon would be more quiet if he were one of the wolves or the bear, I still find his posts somewhat suspicious for the reasons Morm stated above. And suggesting we use the surveys...just kinda felt weird to me Then again, he may also be the cobbler trying to aid the baddies.

Anyway, I have work until 6 and then a family engagement after that (if you see me on the 10 o'clock news, it's because I've murdered one of them), so I'm going to vote now just to be safe. May retract later.

++Hakon
Old 08-13-2009, 12:15 PM   #267
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Quote:
Ah, so it's mainly the lack of an evidence trail that you don't like. I see.

I agree with that, but I'm also the paranoid type who fears the worst.

In WW III for instance I suggested that some Ordo volunteer to be lynched due to the fact that we had a host of useful gifteds that could win the game for us and I didn't want them dead immediately.

No one volunteered and my idea was looked at as being very suspicious.

We lynched our Ranger Day 1.

Anyway, I'm not saying lynching Fea is the best option, but what if we were to make sure she had at least a couple votes? That way if, near the deadline, the person who moves into the lead says, "No, I'm the Ranger!" and is sufficiently believable, we have an alternate target to pour our votes onto without the fear that we're switching from the Ranger to the Seer (or being fooled by a baddie).

I doubt I'll actually vote for her, but I wouldn't be opposed to her gaining two votes or so.
Part 1:

Hmm... you know, you have a point there, phantom. On second thought, I believe you're right - lynching Fea may be our safest option. I'm not going to cast my vote just yet, but Fea is worth considering.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:17 PM   #268
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The way things seem to have turned out so far is either we are going with Phantom's idea of lynching Fea or I am getting lynched. I already have one definite(Morm) vote for me and one possible(Alona). I say possible because she can still retract.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:20 PM   #269
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Quote:
Part 1:
On second thought, I believe you're right - lynching Fea may be our safest
option. I'm not going to cast my vote just yet, but Fea is worth considering.
Not 'may' it is the safest option anyway you look at it. That is the major problem with it. It won't help anybody but the wolves to do such a strategy because no trail will exist.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:22 PM   #270
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Part 2:

We really need to start discussing the surveys seriously before we run out of time. Everyone should say what they think the mods' plan was, since that's open for discussion.

I, for one, think that the mods were unlikely to choose someone feared or distrusted by the seer as a baddie - the game would be over too quickly. I also think they might have made logical choices and had the gifteds trust each other (not that I'm saying we should speculate about their identities, but the gifteds themselves can consider this).
Old 08-13-2009, 12:22 PM   #271
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
The Dark Monarch makes out with boiled Grade D taco meat every monday and wednesday
Old 08-13-2009, 12:23 PM   #272
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil View Post
Not 'may' it is the safest option anyway you look at it. That is the major problem with it. It won't help anybody but the wolves to do such a strategy because no trail will exist.
I meant "safest for the village" of course.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #273
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Part 2:

We really need to start discussing the surveys seriously before we run out of time. Everyone should say what they think the mods' plan was, since that's open for discussion.

I, for one, think that the mods were unlikely to choose someone feared or distrusted by the seer as a baddie - the game would be over too quickly. I also think they might have made logical choices and had the gifteds trust each other (not that I'm saying we should speculate about their identities, but the gifteds themselves can consider this).
I agree with the gifteds trusting each other to some extent. I think that the seer and ranger most likely trust each other but the hunter is one that distrusts the other gifteds. As for the wolves one is probably a feared, one is a distrusted person and the final one a trusted person.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:28 PM   #274
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Lynch me for it if you want, but I'm not discussing the surveys. Every other werewolf game we rely on how people act, vote, etc. in order to lynch baddies and I don't see why this should be any different. Boro's probably just letting us discuss the silly things so he can laugh about how wrong we all are.

Also, I understand the attraction of Fea (hehe) but I think it's useless to kill someone who's already going to die. It makes sense but it gets nothing done, and while I would happily switch to her if it meant saving a gifted or something I'm not even going to consider voting for her because it gives us absolutely no chance of killing a baddie.

(And with that in mind, I am an ordo and if a gifted is in danger of lynching feel free to snag me instead of them if necessary. I'm a team player and the gifteds are more valuable than me, so do whatever. And no, that is not an invitation to lynch me for kicks and giggles, so nyah.)

And now I vote. I may change before I leave but I doubt it.

++Hakon
Old 08-13-2009, 12:30 PM   #275
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

It is the only way Boro can be satisfied. If the seer fears/distrusts too many of the wolves... over too quickly.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:32 PM   #276
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sally, we use what we have available to our advantage. In this case it is the surveys even though we cannot say what our answers were.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:32 PM   #277
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Meh. Hakon is a very safe vote, a typical Day 1 lynch, and therefore, probably innocent.

And what about all those people who simply aren't posting? Who is making any effort here to flush them out of hiding? I miss Nogrod.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:35 PM   #278
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Last game I got one vote on day one and a whole lot of people telling me I was suspicious. I turned out to be innocent. So far out of those to vote for me I am only suspicious of one of them. Sorry Morm. It is just you voted so early on and your reason was only because I brought up something you said before the game started. It seems just off. I just have a gut feeling about your vote being off.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:36 PM   #279
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Ahh that also reminds me, Lommy wanted you informed she would be on and able to post, but the first couple days she couldn't participate too much...and seeing this gargantuan amount of posts (hehe) maybe even less.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:37 PM   #280
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nienna has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to Nienna Send a message via MSN to Nienna
I'm still in class but terribly bored... haha... So I've kept reading and I'm cool with voting for Fea (this is after freaking out for a while making sure that she is still alive and that I don't need to rush home/ to the hospital). This way we can make sure we aren't lynching a gifted or even an ordo. It will give us another day to work out who the baddies are.