The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2009, 11:37 AM   #1
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Tol-in-Gaurhoth Threefold and Six: The Night Guard

A thin mist surrounded the ground around the podium set up in the village square, as Eönwë, the mayor, addressed the village. "People of Upper Downsbury," he called, "You have been gathered here for a very important purpose."

He had spent many years planning this. It had begun many years ago, when wolves had first terrorised the little village of Upper Downsbury, located as it was, surrounded by the wilderness of Minhiriath, known by none but the rangers. It had been the rangers who had saved them in the end, before the wolves had killed the entire village.

He had only been a child at the time, and now he was last living person to remember the attack. His uncle's friend, Formedacil had gone with the rangers for many years, to live among them. They had accepted him after it was revealed that he had managed to fend off a werewolf for a while from his wife and children. On his travels he had hunted and faced many evil creatures, including werewolves, and became a famed hunter among the people of the village. He had returned to live among them again for the last twenty years, a retired old man.

Eönwë scanned across the crowd, looking at the men, women and children that made up the town. He would reveal to them the terrible truth, and the solution that he had come up with that fateful day many years ago, the day when the werewolves had attacked.

"As a few of you may be aware," he began, "Our most dreaded nightmare has become a reality." He paused. "Wolves have come to our beautiful village again." Eönwë paused, let the gasps of shock and terror among the population subside. "But this time they are different.

"A few weeks ago our shepherds were complaining about lost sheep, but most of us ignored their warning, at our own peril. Then, last week, our dear famed and experienced werewolf hunter Formendacil was found dead." It had been a sore blow to the village's pride. Formendacil had died of unknown causes that night, but his yellowish waxen skin led most to believe that some foul illness had taken him. "It was no mere illness that killed him. It was a poisonous bite from a werewolf."

He paused to gather himself. "I believed that this may have been a survivor from the last attack, seeking vengeance for his lost packmates. He snuck in and murdered poor Formie in his sleep. The old man had no chance against against such an attack by such a foe. I was aware of this at the time, and tracked him. I managed to find his den among the scrub and bushes of the wilderness, and there he stood, grinning at me with his long yellow fangs and his grizzled face. He had not become weak in his old age, but tougher and more cunning. But in the end, I slew him." Eönwë lifted a sack, and out of it raised the monstrous and grisly severed head of the beast. "He was not a mere Warg like those that attacked us last time, but a true Werewolf, a descendant of Drauglin, and almost as cunning.

"And at that time I thought that the ordeal was over. But now I fear that the beast may have bitten some among our number, causing them each Night to transform into wretched beasts, into his form. Tonight, we shall see whether my fears are true or not, for if they are, then the wolves will be filled with an insatiable bloodlust, and will not stop killing until all the village is dead, before turning on themselves. But these wolves are not dumb beasts. Each day they will masquerade as one of us, ans will pretend to be innocent. If my fears prove correct, then each Day we must select who we think is most likely to be a one of our lycanthropic foes. We will execute them at dusk, and hopefully, we shall be rid of them by the end of this week.

"In addition, I have taken an extra precaution," this was his plan. "As you know, over the past few years, we have trained guards for our city, under the guidance of the late Formendacil. From now on they will be deployed each Night to protect whomever we think to be the most innocent of us. Though the wolves will also know and will avoid killing them, and perhaps kill another, it will help to keep those who we find our more innocent. And if that person is a wolf, then he or she will not be able to join his or her fellows, which will lead to less carnage in the Night. In this way, we can save those who we trust for longer. However, the guards will not protect the same person twice in a row.

We will start with these two systems tomorrow, when we have time to think and we will not make such rash decisions. Also, I fear that the wolves are among us now, so I will say this to them: We will find out who you are eventually, and then we will kill you." But will it be too late by then? he thought to himself.

The speech ended, he bid everyone a good Night, and all but a few slept in peace.

Last edited by Eönwë; 09-11-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:01 PM   #2
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Eönwë left the village square last. By now the mist had become knee-deep, and thicker than before. A chill wind blew from the East, and Eönwë shivered in the dark.

He nodded to the Guards at his door. They would guard his house tonight, until a proper vote was taken tomorrow.

He tried to get to sleep. But as he lay in bed, he wondered how his scheme would play out, and how the following days of trouble would unfold. Was it really worth it? Would it really help increase the chances of their survival? Only time would tell...

Eönwë finally drifted off into a troubled sleep.

Night 1 has begun. Wolves may plot amongst themselves, and those that must send their picks for the Night must send their picks.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Night 1

As the rest of the village slept, there were some who stirred in the darkness. Four there were, who transformed in pain and anguish into the foul form of the Werewolf. Those four crept out of their houses and met in the village square. They stood there for a while, their powerful hearts thudding in the darkness.

---

There others too. One found that they had the ability to see into the hearts of others, and check what they were in the Night.

There were also two more. Both had been trained by the late Formendacil in secret, without the other knowing. To one, he had taught the art of hunting wolves, and to the other, the art of protecting people from the evil beasts. They would be ready...

---

As the wolves stood there in the square, they were filled with energy, and with the desire to kill. As they stood there, one of them spoke, "If we're going to do this, then we need to make it easier for ourselves. That Eönwë's scheme is going to make it much harder on us."

And so they formed a plan. Tonight, they would attack together, as one, but every night afterwards, while they all remained alive, the Werewolves would split into two groups of two to attack their unsuspecting victims.

There was still pitch blackness as the wolves, silent as the shadows of the night, crept upon their next target. Against the darkness, they were silhouetted, their figures picked out in the silver light of the moon.

They reached the house that they were looking for. It was one of the larger, more luxurious houses, second only to Nogrod's. They opened the gate and crept up to the door, blending in with the shadows. But as they reached the door, an arm from either side shot out to meet them. Armed with halberds, two Guards stepped forwards and crossed their weapons, blocking the way to the door.

"You shall not pass," they said, in unison.

"We are the werewolves," one werewolf said, "we will go wherever and kill whoever we please."

"You shall not pass," they said again.

"If you do not stand aside, we will kill you as well," said another of the lycanthropes.

"We move for no wolf," the Guards said, in unison.

"We do not wish to kill you, we just want to get past you to Eönwë," said one of the other wolves.

"Then you shall die," replied the Night Guards.

One wolf, believing this to be a bluff, charged forwards, claws and teeth at the ready.

In one fluid movement, one of the guards swing his weapon, and plunged it deep into his leg. The afflicted werewolf howled in pain.

"Run away, run away!" shouted one of the wolves, and soon the cry was echoed by them all.

"That... that really hurt!" said the wolf with the impaled leg.

"Don't worry," said another, "It will heal itself when you transform back"

"Ok, so from now on we do not mess with the Guards," said the maimed wolf, clutching his leg.

"Ok, so we will avoid them, but there will still be others to kill," said one of the uninjured wolves.

They each went back to their respective houses, and stayed there until daybreak, when they transformed back into normal-looking humans, which would have been impossible to believe could have been wolves that night if one had not seen them.

---

That morning, Eönwë once again called the village together.

"Last night," he began, "the wolves tried to attack me. But luckily, the Night Guards were there to save me. Though they attacked together, it does not mean that they will always do so. They will probably try many cruel ways to attack us in the night. We must be on our guard."

"Today, you, people of Upper Downsbury, must decide who will we be Guarded; and who you think is most likely to be a wolf. This person will be executed," there were gasps from the crowd "at dusk today."

"Let us begin."

Living:

The Mayor:
Eönwë

The Villagers:
A Little Green- the village butcher
alonariel- the village blacksmith
Boromir88- the village pig farmer
Brinniel- the village witch
Hakon- the village innkeeper
Inziladun- the village brewer
Kitanna- the village hermit
Legate of Amon Lanc- the village broker
McCaber- chief (only) miner, head of miners' guild
Mnemosyne- the village coquette
Nerwen- a wandering minstrel
Nessa Telrunya- the village seamstress
Nienna- the village potter
Nilpaurion Felagund- the village fool
Nogrod- the retired bourgeois
Pitchwife- the village mason
satansaloser2005- The village librarian (Mistress of the books)
Shastanis Althreduin- the village apothecary
Thinlómien- the village chief gardener
wilwarin538- the village barmaid

Day 1 has now begun. You may now start posting.

Last edited by Eönwë; 08-31-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:43 PM   #4
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
When did Nogrod sign up for this game?

Anyway, Mr. Mayor I have brought to court the finest pig as a tribute. May your kitchens not be empty for several weeks.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:53 PM   #5
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Right.

The easiest way I can see this going forward is if the Seer comes out so that we can vote to guard him/her each night. That way we'll get a virtually limitless supply of dreams so that we can track these foul beasts down and snuff them out.

Thank you for posting before me, Boro; people who post first with cunning plans are startling Day 1 lynch targets and I'd hate to put myself on the chopping block so early.

Not that anyone would want to lynch a face like this...
Old 08-31-2009, 04:59 PM   #6
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemosyne View Post
The easiest way I can see this going forward is if the Seer comes out so that we can vote to guard him/her each night. That way we'll get a virtually limitless supply of dreams so that we can track these foul beasts down and snuff them out.
It is not permissible for the same person to be Night Guarded for two or more Days in a row.

And thank you for the pig, Boro .
Old 08-31-2009, 05:01 PM   #7
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Darn.

Take away all my fun from me, will you?

Unless we wanted to coordinate saves with the Ranger, which really is not a half bad idea when you think about it...
Old 08-31-2009, 05:02 PM   #8
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Quote:
This plan sounds way to good and way to easy to be true. There must be a rule against us protecting the same person that many time in a row, though I suppose if we can't then we could just alternate with the Ranger,one Night we protect Seer next Night Ranger does, and hope the the Ranger can stay alive.

Will go double check rules after this.

Quote:
Not that anyone would want to lynch a face like this...
I would.....
Old 08-31-2009, 05:02 PM   #9
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I suppose I need to abandon my hermit lifestyle for a while. *sigh*

Quote:

This seems like an ok idea, but eventually, probably sooner than later, the wolves can manipulate this. How do you plan to organize such an undertaking?

Edit: Eonwe clarified the rules...
Old 08-31-2009, 05:03 PM   #10
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Xposted with Mod and Mnemo earlier

Thank you dear ModGod for clarification, and Mnemo and I think the same, perhaps I won't lynch you now, .

x'posted with Kit
Old 08-31-2009, 05:07 PM   #11
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitanna View Post
This seems like an ok idea, but eventually, probably sooner than later, the wolves can manipulate this. How do you plan to organize such an undertaking?
It's all up to the Seer and whether s/he wants to come out at this point.

Of course, likely a wolf has already thought of this and would reveal first and/or counterreveal. I don't know how we'd proceed then, unless we wanted to protect both (Ranger one and the village the other, then alternate).

But IF there were a way of knowing the Seer is real, then all we need is a simple majority of ++Guard votes. The wolves would probably be too willing to go along at this point. Next night everyone would vote according to his/her conscience and the Ranger would make the save.

My point is that normally when new and/or weird rules are introduced into the mix the wolves profit from the confusion that results.

But I think in this situation we've been handed a genuine boon, if we can learn how to use it properly.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:09 PM   #12
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwarin538 View Post
I would.....
I knew it! You just want to eliminate the competition, don't you?

*thinks of many unpleasant Shakespearean words to cast upon the barmaid profession in general*
Old 08-31-2009, 05:09 PM   #13
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Unless we wanted to coordinate saves with the Ranger, which really is not a half bad idea when you think about it...
Quote:
This plan sounds way to good and way to easy to be true. There must be a rule against us protecting the same person that many time in a row, though I suppose if we can't then we could just alternate with the Ranger,one Night we protect Seer next Night Ranger does, and hope the the Ranger can stay alive.
This may seem like a good idea, but think about the innocents who will undoubtedly be put on the line. If the seer reveals him/herself and then reveals his/her dreams every day innocents will be revealed to the village, making them easy targets for wolves at Night.

And what if something happens to the ranger early on? Then we have the seer for two days and then it's curtains. If that happens early on, the village will have to go on without the aid of the seer's dreams. Plus by that point a few innocents will be vulnerable.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:14 PM   #14
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
This may seem like a good idea, but think about the innocents who will undoubtedly be put on the line. If the seer reveals him/herself and then reveals his/her dreams every day innocents will be revealed to the village, making them easy targets for wolves at Night.
I did not say that the Seer should reveal his/her dreams each Day. That would be the equivalent of sending the Wolves a kill list. So, not unless we nab a wolf. In the meantime, though, if we have a protected Seer we do know that we will be getting dreams to our advantage, and if the Ranger dies then the Seer can reveal all of his/her dreams to the village. Hopefully at that point (depending on dream picks vs. kill picks) we would have enough Known Innocents to keep the wolves busy killing them off while we can focus on the unknowns.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:15 PM   #15
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Hmm...then perhaps we should just wait and see for the Seer to see this, and then maybe they should just come forward if they already have a wolf, or hold this off until they do have one. And if this plan is agreed upon then they should only reveal the roles of wolves, and not draw attention to any known innocents. Unless we lose the Ranger after the Seer already has come forward, then they could reveal all of their known innocents then.

Haha, I'm confusing myself so much.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:16 PM   #16
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Oh my, Mnemo, we be the same person...
Old 08-31-2009, 05:25 PM   #17
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Oh my, Mnemo, we be the same person...
I beg your pardon! We both may exert our wiles on the other sex, but I do so with matrimony in mind and not merely pleasure. A good coquette knows how to be charming and honorable... well, mostly honorable.

I may have to vote you simply because of the threat you pose to my ambitions.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:26 PM   #18
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
I's ready to do mysa part and be an attractive kill choice. I never knew wolves who would deny themselves nice, thick and crispy bacon. Mmm

Oh and I guess that means no one should waste their time trying to save me at night...Elles ont comprend? (If that is wrong, please don't correct me).
Old 08-31-2009, 05:30 PM   #19
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Silmaril

Quote:
I beg your pardon! We both may exert our wiles on the other sex, but I do so with matrimony in mind and not merely pleasure. A good coquette knows how to be charming and honorable... well, mostly honorable.

I may have to vote you simply because of the threat you pose to my ambitions.
Hahahahaha

Humph , I do not exert my wiles, they just come to me naturally with no effort on my part , probably more for the ale then anything else,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
Elles ont comprend? (If that is wrong, please don't correct me).
Hmm, can't even correct you cause I have no idea want you're trying to say exactly.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:37 PM   #20
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
Hmm, can't even correct you cause I have no idea want you're trying to say exactly.
Just asking if we understand eachother.

Now really you and Mnemo should simmer a bit, because talking about eachothers wiles makes me nervous *points to avatar*

et au revoir.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:42 PM   #21
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Quote:
Now really you and Mnemo should simmer a bit, because talking about eachothers wiles makes me nervous *points to avatar*
She started it *points* . I was just pointing out that we kept coming to the same conclusions, she brought up the W word, .

I'm so bored right now, was really hoping there'd be more people around, cause I won't be around too much tomorrow.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:38 PM   #22
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Evil times, friends. A pity the Guards couldn't kill a wolf or two while they were all gathered there together. Ah, well.
Luckily, I've just put the finishing touch on a good brew; I call it Chetwood Stout. I stumbled upon the secret ingredient near the Great Road while on a journey years ago. Seems it might come in handy for the near future.
What's all this talk about our Seer coming out in the open now? I can see the argument for it, but it needs some serious thought before putting it into action. Like Kitanna said, there's probably a way for the wolves to get around it.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:44 PM   #23
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
1420!

No one here?
Bah. I'm off for a pint.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:29 PM   #24
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Hammers and pebbles.
Some baubles for a penny.
Won't you vote for me?

++Nilpaurion Felagund
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:28 PM   #25
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

1420!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilpaurion Felagund View Post
Hammers and pebbles.
Won't you vote for me?

++Nilpaurion Felagund
Voting yourself, eh Good Sir? Pray what is your motive for doing so?
Then again, it is coming from the Village Fool, so perhaps one might be amiss to read into it just now.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:01 PM   #26
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Nilp! Welcome back to this institution that you, yes you, have gotten me addicted to.

Inzil, sorry, it's happening again. I'm getting those wolf feelings about you...wouldn't mind if I voted for you today would ya?

Oh, and Nilp has an uncontrollable tendancy to want to lynch himself, just so you are made aware of that.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:26 PM   #27
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Inzil, sorry, it's happening again. I'm getting those wolf feelings about you...wouldn't mind if I voted for you today would ya?
No, not at all. I'd expect nothing less. In fact, it might make me a bit uneasy if you didn't.
I may return the favor, though. Or, I may vote to guard you, who knows?.
The Day is still young.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:12 PM   #28
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nienna has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to Nienna Send a message via MSN to Nienna
Hello all! I have successfully wedged myself some clay and now I go to make something fabulous.

I have no real thoughts on the day except that Mnemo's suggestion worries me. Gifteds revealing this early is never a good idea. Maybe in a few days or when we are getting desperate but not on Day One.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:18 PM   #29
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Just asking if we understand eachother.

et au revoir.
Erm, awkward. I'll be having bad dreams tonight for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilpaurion Felagund View Post
Hammers and pebbles.
Won't you vote for me?

++Nilpaurion Felagund
I've missed you, my prince. Oh, so much. *sighs* I wonder how much he'll hate me if I use my guard vote on him?

EDIT: x'd with a lousy no good she-wolf....erm, I mean Nienna
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:19 AM   #30
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Nerwen had been very quietly strumming her lute. Now she came forward, saying,

"Good people, this is indeed a dark time– but how about a song to help you forget your troubles?"

As her practiced fingers drew rippling arpeggios from the strings, she began to sing,

"There were four wolves sat under a tree,
Down a down, hey down, hey down
They were as grey as they might be,
With a down, hey down.
Then one of them said to his mate,
'Who shall we for our supper take?'
With a down, derry, derry, derry-"

Seeing the stony faces of the villagers, she faltered. "Er...perhaps that wasn't the best choice of song... under the circumstances..." Under her breath she added,
"These peasants... they just don't appreciate good music!"

Edit: spelling.

Last edited by Nerwen; 09-01-2009 at 12:25 AM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:33 AM   #31
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
No need to hold your breaths any longer; the witch has arrived.

I am a bit surprised though to see so few posts; I would've expected to see more in over nine hours' time, but perhaps I'm spoiled after Boro's game.. Not that I can complain though, since my time here too will be a bit restricted due to RL circumstances.

I should be around for a little while longer before bedtime, so if anyone wants some herbs or potions, do speak up. I am known to brew a mean love potion.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:37 AM   #32
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Wassail, wassail.

*hic*
Old 09-01-2009, 02:28 AM   #33
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
"Well well well," with a jovial smile, the village broker strode amidst the gathered folk, then he stopped, carefully listening to what's been said. After a while, he drew a pipe out of his pocket. Then, he retrieved a purse of pipeweed and started filling his pipe. Lastly, he lit his pipe with a match and watched the blue smoke rising into the sky.

"Chetwood Stout?" he turned suddenly to Inziladun. "It has to be good, I am sure, but that makes me think... have I ever told you about the ale they serve in the "Badger & Bridgeman" Inn near Tharbad? A really good that one, they are using some spice from the South, but I know the innkeeper well and he told me what it is, so if you wished to widen your repertoire a bit more, I could arrange a supply of that spice for you as well... Maybe a good way to please our local innkeeper, isn't it?" With a wink, he let out another cluster of smoke rings out of his pipe.

"And oh my good Nilp," he said, turning to the local fool. "Are you sure you feel safe here? Don't you want to assure that you have a proper funeral after this is over? I know that you don't have too much money on your own, but say, wouldn't it be better to be on the safe side? I know some people who would sell you a nice (although used) coffin with a discount..."

He turned to discussing Mnemosyne and Wilwa. There, he frowned.

"I would not really be so hasty," he interfered, knocking the trunk of a nearby tree, "with all this talk about revelations. It is a good idea by itself, but it all depends just on good luck. Even if all worked well, if the Seer catches no Wolf in some three consequent days (see below), he or she may as well die without being of much of a real use.

And anyway, the main issue would be this: Simply put, for the plan to come into action, we would need the Seer coming out and the Ranger coming out. First, of course counter-claims will start to rain on us at that very moment, and before we decide whom to trust, both of our Gifteds may be as good as dead. Or at least the Ranger, most likely. In that case, we could buy the Seer one Night at maximum with our Night Guard. And even if it's all okay and we have a clear Seer and a clear Ranger, the most likely course of events would be, that the Ranger protects the Seer one Night, while we protect the Ranger (of course), but the next Night, while the guards are guarding the Seer, the Wolves attack the Ranger and kill him, and on the next Night, they go for the Seer, and that's it. Not really that different from a normal situation with one Ranger, don't you think."

"And as for Seer-revealed innocents, if the Wolves still have the double kill by then, they can be as well all wiped out over a couple of nights."

"That's for the contribution to such ideas. I think the best choice would be as usual, for the Seer to wait until he or she has something to offer, and then we can protect him or her for a few Nights. But it's all upon the Seer. I just think we should proceed with a bit more care and not let ourselves succumb to profitable-looking offers, which seem to be given ourselves by the Mayor's laws." And he smiled, like a man who is well-acquainted with profitable-looking offers of all kinds.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:32 AM   #34
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Nerwen struck a dramatic chord.

"Perhaps I can be of help in other ways. Not only did I make an extensive study of werewolf lore in Minstrel School, but my wanderings have led me to stay in afflicted villlages before this.

Now, strange to say, many of these villages were also blessed with Seers and Rangers. Almost always, when the Seer was exposed too early, ill befell the village, and your friendly minstrel was forced to resume her travels in a hurry.

The charming young lady Mnemosyne's plan might work a few Days from now; at the moment I think it's too much of a risk."

EDIT:X'd with Legate.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:37 AM   #35
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Boots *doesn't know what's he's doing this form of elocution*

The one who protects
No need to reveal himself.
A fish in the sea,
Unless the sharks are lucky,
In our numbers he'll be safe.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:42 AM   #36
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
Anyway, Mr. Mayor I have brought to court the finest pig as a tribute. May your kitchens not be empty for several weeks.
Sounds like some work for the village butcher, eh?

I agree with Nienna and Nerwen and Legate and who not that it would be more of a risk than a gain to reveal the Seer this early, even with the Night Guard thing. (Read Legate's post for my train of thoughts, for he put it far clearer than I could have. ) Actually I'm feeling a bit worried about Mnemo at the moment - or rather, wondering whether I should be. It just popped into my mind that a wolf might like to try and get the Seer out in the open as soon as possible.

As for Nilp voting himself - somehow I'm not surprised.

Nerwen, are you still around? Is anyone around? I'd love a chat with someone but I feel stupid chatting with myself.

EDIT: x-ed with Nilp
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:44 AM   #37
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Wait... x-ed? I x-ed with someone! Hello Nilp! Still around are you?
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
Old 09-01-2009, 03:53 AM   #38
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Boots

Oy vey, it's a talking cleaver!!!
Old 09-01-2009, 04:00 AM   #39
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilp
Oy vey, it's a talking cleaver!!!
Talking about me, are you? Well Nilp. Why exactly did you vote for yourself?
Old 09-01-2009, 04:05 AM   #40
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Boots

Why does the sun rise?

Because I put yeast in it.