The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2009, 04:28 PM   #1161
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Btw I have a slight feeling of déjŕ vu, last game I played innocent Sally voted mefatally rather out of the blue on the last Day and the village lost also... Like I told someone on msn, I shouldn't really be left alive for the last Day, I'm too much of a hazard for innocents...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:30 PM   #1162
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
PS. Sorry I didn't see the mod's post! This is the last one from me here... Good night.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:37 PM   #1163
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Expedition Journal - Epilogue

It is only with deep reluctance that I bring my memory to recall our last moments in that forsaken place. I feel sadness and horror remembering the fates of my companions in that prison of ice and the end of that ill-fated expedition which has ultimately lead us into the deadly place deep beneath the polar crust of the Arctic.

It was above the large subterranean pit where we have made our final decision. We have decided to stop the monster in our midst - whom we believed to be our whale expert.

We have held her and tied her up, and then we have lead her towards the pit. As she was standing on the edge, we prepared to shoot and then let her body mercifully fall into the abyss. Our lawyer companion took upon himself the duty to take the gun while our mechanic has lead our whale expert towards the pit. Then it happened.

Our mechanic suddenly let go of our convict, leaped forwards and knocked our lawyer companion to the ground. He stumbled, the gun dropping from his hand. Several shots echoed through the vast space. It was our palaeoecologist who realised as first what was happening and jumped to grab the falling body of our whale expert. It was too late. Leaning over the ledge, the old man cast the flash of his torch into the darkness, as if he hoped to see the last glimpse of the woman. What he saw instead - noted that I still find it peculiar that he could see anything at all there just with his flash lamp - I cannot tell, but whatever it was, it put his mind into the sad state in which it is now.

Anyway, it was clear that we could not tarry in the place any more. I do not know what made our feet move so fast, I do not even know how we managed to find our way to the surface. All I remember from that time is only grabbing the old palaeoecologist, literally tearing him apart from the ledge and then just a mad flight through the dark corridors and empty halls with their gruesome wall-carvings and mysterious symbols. I do not know what exactly had happened to the lawyer - though I am convinced that I saw him dropping his gun while wrestling with the abominable creature. I am still surprised that it did not pursue us to the surface, or that it had lost us in the maze. I am sure its eyes were following us as we dived into the dark tunnels. But after that, I do not recall anything until we have emerged into the grey twilight of polar dawn.

Even the sight of our crippled ship with its red, green and yellow lights under the hueless sky was pleasant after the unnatural subterranean darkness. And even happier we were to meet our cook, who remained on board all the time, and to see the helicopter coming for our rescue, being told to look for us after the contact had been lost. This was not the end for us yet, but it meant salvation - salvation from this dreadful prison of ice.

I am afraid our palaeoclimatologist will never recover from his current state. Myself, I have been shaken deeply by the events experienced on that isle of the werewolves - as I think everybody would. But the old man has gone totally out of his mind. Of course there is no telling what he might have seen in that abyss of darkness. For me, only the things I know have been enough to make me wish to reveal this account to the public - as putting all the pieces of puzzle together, I am afraid that the complex we have uncovered is but a taste of what could be unearthed if the ice cover of Arctic had melted. Only a thin ice cork was holding these monsters under the earth for aeons, held them in the prison of ice - and the horror they have caused was more than enough.

But our palaeoclimatologist seems to have his own theories, no doubt reinforced by his own interest in obscure mythology and strange books and archaeological studies, ranging from Ivo Wiesner to Sebastian De Rosa. While in the helicopter, he had recounted a long time about the theories he had and what he put together. About the possible origins and the true name of the hundreds of miles long range of the Gakkel Ridge deep beneath the polar sea. About that this island we have visited was but one of three which, he was sure, can be found in this area - as pinnacles of submarine mountains rising from the ocean floor. About the origin of these wolf-beasts and how their spirits have possessed our crew... In the end, I had to stop him, as his maddened babbling seemed unceasing.

I do not know what was that he saw. And even now I can hear, through the thin walls of my cell, the inarticulate wailing of his insanity:

"Monsters in darkness... buried deep beneath the deepest crypts of the iron hells... under the ice... so long... even the land and Sea can change and they shall rise... the glacial corks melting, opening their way to the surface... the great abyss... wings of shadow... waiting for the return of the Accursed One from the void... the iron crown reforged at the end of all ages..."

Roa - survival guide - died on blood loss from Werewolf attack on Day 2 (left game, innocent)
Mnemosyne - field medic - shot by the survival guide on Day 2 (Werewolf)
Inziladun - meteorologist - killed by Werewolves on Night 3 (innocent)
tromkehra - cook/bartender - left aboard the ship on Day 3 (left game, innocent)
Nienna - navigator - shot on her way back to the ship on Day 3 (innocent)
Greenie - senior assitant to important scientists in the company, killed by Werewolf on Night 4 (innocent)
Pitchwife - marine biologist - unambiguously executed by the expedition on Day 4 (Werewolf)
Eomer of the Rohirrim - sea pilot - murdered in the icy darkness on Night 5 (innocent)
wilwa - crewmember - executed in the underground cavern on Day 5 (innocent)
Macalaure - palaeomathematician - killed while performing his palaeomathematic operations on Night 6 (innocent)
Loslote - rich funder's spoiled daughter - died with visionary words on her lips on Day 6 (Birthday Dreamer - innocent)
Brinn - polar bear biologist - stained the walls with her blood on Night 7 (innocent)
Boromir88 - senior assistant to a professor of glaciology - sacrificed on Day 7 (innocent)
Shasta - sled-dog handler - killed on Day 7 (Hunter)
Bes - room/store manager - killed by the Hunter on Day 7 (Werewolf)
sally - the original initiator of the expedition - finally caught off her guard on Night 8 (Ranger)
Thinlómien - whale expert - cast into the pit on Day 8 (innocent)
Morsul - federal grants lawyer (innocent)
Nogrod - old palaeoecologist with is own theory of climate change (innocent)
Nerwen - mechanic (Werewolf, survived until the end)

WEREWOLVES WIN!!!

If you feel like it, join the discussion on the Admin thread. Thanks to all for playing!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote