The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2010, 05:09 PM   #121
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Re: Mac's comment about Nerwen - I thought that perhaps he was trying to confuse Persephone into picking Nerwen, who I doubted (and figured Mac doubted, since he didn't try to get her lynched) was actually Hades. I didn't really think a wolf would have made the comment Nerwen did, as it seemed too risky. But Mac, feel free to correct me - though, if you say I'm wrong, I may end up suspecting you, too.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:10 PM   #122
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Having literally just read Greenie's post I don't agree with her view on Mac. I thought he was making the point that if one saw hints in Boro's mentioning of Zeus then one had to see the same in Nerwen's mentioning of Hades, not that he actually thought that Nerwen's mention was suspicious. Because he said (about the Boro one):
"It doesn't make sense, but it's definitely deliberate and not a slip. My bet would be a lover leaving a hint for their mate, except that that doesn't really make sense either."
Which I thought meant he didn't really think it was a hint. Maybe Mac will clear that up at some point.
Now there is actually a huge difference in suspecting Zeus and Hera calling each other on the thread (which is not a thing they would need to do as they already know each other) than suspecting that Hades is trying to send a message to Persephone (which would make a lot of sense as the latter really needs to find the former for their love to become true).

Now as suspicions go on Day1 I find it perfectly justified to suspect Nerwen for being Hades and searching for Persephone, but the way Mac states it in a most vague way - praising Wilwa's notice of it, saying it's "definitively deliberate" and not a slip - but that it doesn't make sense raises my eyebrows considerably. What were you trying to say? Downplay Nerwen's possible guilt by bringing the idea to the fore? That would be bold and not smart. But Kath's defence of Mac looks odd as well. Just as Mac manages to say Boro's remarks were deliberate and not slips but hints, she says Mac meant they were not hints... Oh my. There's something fishy in here but it's hard to say what. Too many possibilities of which most don't make sense (I see I'm following Mac's and Greenie's reasoning here )

Last edited by Nogrod; 07-26-2010 at 05:15 PM. Reason: added quotation marks to the quotation inside the quotation to make it more readable
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:13 PM   #123
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith View Post

PS, how do I make this go red?
write the word highlight instead of B to both ends...
Old 07-26-2010, 05:16 PM   #124
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
As we're all throwing out our suspicions of what Nerwen's role is based on her slip, may I just say that no one's suggested she might be Persephone, trying to find Hades? This is my current theory, anyways. I'd be up for lynching Nerwen, because if Persephone dies, so does Wolf!Hades - and I think Nerwen might be Persephone. If we don't come up with a wolf, that's where my vote will probably go.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:26 PM   #125
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
As we're all throwing out our suspicions of what Nerwen's role is based on her slip, may I just say that no one's suggested she might be Persephone, trying to find Hades? This is my current theory,
Hades already knows who Persephone is so there's no need for Persephone to get into the risky bussiness of hinting her role to Hades. It's the task of Hades to give hints to Persephone who s/he is.

And unlike Rikae seems to think, I think it perfectly probable that the wolf-lovers would try to attract their lovers on Day1 to finalise their love asap and make them so much stronger! To wolf-lovers it is a catastrophic situation as long as their innocent part has not recognized them: it means their death actually if the other one dies. With the lover found they have many more options to win and at least to live. So there is some real pressure and urgency in the wolves trying to find their lovers.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:37 PM   #126
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Hades already knows who Persephone is so there's no need for Persephone to get into the risky bussiness of hinting her role to Hades. It's the task of Hades to give hints to Persephone who s/he is.
Maybe Nerwen thought she saw someone else hinting and was trying to confirm her suspicion, or maybe she just wanted him to be sure she was paying attention. Maybe she even threw it out in hopes that Hades would comment on it, just like we're all doing. I'll go back and see if there was anything she could have been responding to, trying to confirm a suspected hint.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:42 PM   #127
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Well, things have come to a pretty pass! I don't know, somehow you always think the Twilight of the Gods is something that only happens to other pantheons, don't you? *shakes head sadly*

I mean, really, what the Hades is going on? And I hear there's a mortal among us! We must smite this upstart immediately!
On second look, this was her first post, and it was joking banter. Hades was not refering to the person, but the place. I do think we've blown this way out of porportion. I take back my earlier suspicion. Sorry, Nerwen.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:44 PM   #128
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Nog, I wasn't saying I didn't think it was possible that the wolves would hint, but that I thought that particular comment looked too risky.

Actually, though, on second thought, it may have seemed more risky purely due to the fact that Mac pointed it out. When I first read it, I saw it as in-character flavor and nothing more, so it may be that, objectively speaking, it wasn't that risky after all.

EDIT: X'd with Loslote. Maybe, but joking banter can conceal hints, too.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:50 PM   #129
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Just a comment now, more later.

I just skimmed some points against me. I did not claim that Boro is Zeus. My theory is that Boro dropped the name Zeus a few times to indicate that he is a lover, too, one of the three that need to find theirs. Having one or two lovers waste their first pick is bad, but worth having one be right with their first pick.

Greenie, I didn't really suspect Nerwen yet because I only made the comment that what I said about Boro can apply to her just as well.

The lovers are trying to find each other - we have to look for hints.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:53 PM   #130
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

A correction to the earlier post. I checked the rules and realised there are such different variations as to who knows who with the lover-pairs.

So. If someone else has also missed those let me remind you of our situation - especially in eye of finding someone looking for a mate or signalling others.

Zeus and Hera know each other and may PM so there is no need of sending messages of identification between the two.

With Hades and Persephone, Hades know who Persephone is but she doesn't know him. So Hades should try to send a hint. Interestingly the only possible hint found thus far is about Hades...

Neither Hephaistos or Aphrodite know each others identity so they'd both like to know it. So both need to make hints.

Ares is the loner wolf, but then there is something I had totally forgotten and it made me think of a post I wondered while reading through earlier... well, there's Dionysos the cursed. What Thanatos the mod said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glirdy
If the Wolves choose to Night kill him, he will join their ranks. Only the player and I will know that they are Dionysus.
And here's something interesting:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eonwë
I think Dionysus may have poisoned me (I feel quite sick), so I'm probably only going to be back near the end of the Day.
I'm quite sure the wolves have read the rules much more closer than we have so there's no risk of letting them know this. They have most probably read this already and notified it.

Also it would make sense of Eonwë's initial "wolf!" -post...

But what to do with him, that's another question.

X'd with Mac
Old 07-26-2010, 05:59 PM   #131
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Nog makes good points about Eönwë. His remark about Dionysus, which I took as a throw-away at the time, wouldn't seem to have any innocent context (innocent, as in meaningless) here. Why not just say "I'm ill"?
I'm not sure what to do based on that, either though. I'd like to hear what steve has to say about it.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:08 PM   #132
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure View Post
I just skimmed some points against me. I did not claim that Boro is Zeus. My theory is that Boro dropped the name Zeus a few times to indicate that he is a lover, too, one of the three that need to find theirs. Having one or two lovers waste their first pick is bad, but worth having one be right with their first pick.
If Boro is part of one of the other lover pairs, why would he think name-dropping Zeus might lead his unknown counterpart to him?
Old 07-26-2010, 06:11 PM   #133
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

1420!

Well, if we'll be able to tell when the cursed is turned, we can always lynch Eonwe - though "Dionysus poisoned me" reads to me like "I had too much to drink."
Old 07-26-2010, 06:15 PM   #134
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
Well, if we'll be able to tell when the cursed is turned, we can always lynch Eonwe - though "Dionysus poisoned me" reads to me like "I had too much to drink."
Admin thread says:

Quote:
Dionysus – God of Wine – Dionysus is the Cursed. If the Wolves choose to Night kill him, he will join their ranks. Only the player and I will know that they are Dionysus. I will not reveal the Cursed until the end of the game.
So if the Cursed is killed before being turned, I read that as saying they'll be revealed as an ordo at the time.
And that's possible about the Dionysus / wine connection, but steve is only what, 16?
Old 07-26-2010, 06:18 PM   #135
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nienna has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to Nienna Send a message via MSN to Nienna
The Steve-slip is an interesting thing. It seems a little bit too bold unless he wants to be lynched so he isn't night-killed. Hmmm it bears close watching and I will definitely be waiting for that explanation as long as it doesn't come too late in the Day.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:18 PM   #136
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
And that's possible about the Dionysus / wine connection, but steve is only what, 16?
Welcome the pro crime-investigator! *still reading through the thread to find any hints, back soon*

X'd with Nienna
Old 07-26-2010, 06:18 PM   #137
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Quote:
If Boro is part of one of the other lover pairs, why would he think name-dropping Zeus might lead his unknown counterpart to him?
Allied with Zeus = allied with wolves, I suppose. Though Boro's explanation looks pretty honest to me.

Actually, right now I find myself more suspicious of the people who think they see hints everywhere - Wilwa, Mac, Nog - than of the people who are supposed to be doing the hinting. Eonwe's alleged hint sounds the most plausible, but in that case, it may just as well be a hint to the village (letting us know to lynch him if he's turned) as to the wolves. Nerwen's is indeed really embedded in the banter, but could still be something - but Boro's looks more like what he says it is than anything else to me.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:21 PM   #138
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Welcome the pro crime-investigator! *still reading through the thread to find any hints, back soon*
For the record, I'm anti-crime.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:22 PM   #139
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nienna View Post
The Steve-slip is an interesting thing. It seems a little bit too bold unless he wants to be lynched so he isn't night-killed.
The problem for Dionysos actually is, how to get the wolves to pick him - for the wolf-role sure is what most would go for... So he has to do something to get their eyes on him - and the wolves would love an added one into their numbers as well, mind you.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:23 PM   #140
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I've drinken and I'm not 16. It's where I get my good looks from. Though I'm not French. Though I wouldn't drink that much, true. Dionyses doesn't have a lover. So is Eönwë hinting that he's Dionyses?

Xed with everyone since 134
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:23 PM   #141
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
For the record, I'm anti-crime.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:24 PM   #142
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Quote:
So if the Cursed is killed before being turned, I read that as saying they'll be revealed as an ordo at the time.
That's not what I meant. I mean, if the cursed is turned during the night, will the narration indicate this? If so, we can just lynch Eonwe after the cursed is turned, if he is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzil
Is he? Didn't know that. I believe in the UK the drinking age is 18...
Old 07-26-2010, 06:28 PM   #143
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Allied with Zeus = allied with wolves, I suppose. Though Boro's explanation looks pretty honest to me.

- but Boro's looks more like what he says it is than anything else to me.
Allied with Hera would be allied with wolves, not allied with Zeus.

But other than that - as I've said already - I agree with you on finding those who suspect Boro more suspicious than Boro himself. That's one of the "hints" that don't make sense as hints - unlike Nerwen's and Eonwë's which make sense.

But are they enough or should someone be lynched on those? That's another matter (on which I myself need to make a decision rather sooner than later - looking at the clock).
Old 07-26-2010, 06:29 PM   #144
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
That's not what I meant. I mean, if the cursed is turned during the night, will the narration indicate this? If so, we can just lynch Eonwe after the cursed is turned, if he is.
I don't know the answer to that. If there's no kill and we aren't told the reason why, it would make it bloody hard to figure out. Was the Cursed found? Did the Ranger or Guardian Hunter block it? I'll ask on the Admin Thread.

Quote:
Is he? Didn't know that. I believe in the UK the drinking age is 18...
Meta, I know. I remember from the birthday thread.

x/d with Nog
Old 07-26-2010, 06:32 PM   #145
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Quote:
The problem for Dionysos actually is, how to get the wolves to pick him - for the wolf-role sure is what most would go for... So he has to do something to get their eyes on him - and the wolves would love an added one into their numbers as well, mind you.
This reminds me of a discussion we had in another game - and I think Steve was there too. Some of us would feel obliged, as a cursed villager, to make ourselves known so that the village could lynch us if turned.

If Steve is the cursed, chances are the wolves won't turn him now, anyway, since he'd be toast immediately and they'd probably rather get rid of an innocent during the night than turn a cursed who will die the next day. So really, he helped the village whether he intended to or not.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:34 PM   #146
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Incidentally, because of the above, I tend to think there isn't much point in a cursed knowing they're cursed. Either they aren't really playing as an ordo when they technically are, or they don't get to play as a wolf if turned.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:36 PM   #147
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
On second look, this was her first post, and it was joking banter. Hades was not refering to the person, but the place. I do think we've blown this way out of porportion. I take back my earlier suspicion. Sorry, Nerwen.
That's okay. I realise now that the usual themed Day One bantering was possibly ill-advised in this game, because pretty much anything you can say relates to one of the roles. I hadn't got my head around that at that stage.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:47 PM   #148
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

I can't think of another explanation for Steve's comment. I'd say the only thing we can do is leave him be until we have reason to think he's been turned. As of now, he counts for the innocents. Later in the game, it'll be really important to have as many innocents as possible.

As a side note, if the Ranger or Hunting Guardian protect the Cursed from a wolf attack, they're not Turned, are they? So we could, theoretically, keep Steve on our side as long as we wanted.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:52 PM   #149
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
I realise now that the usual themed Day One bantering was possibly ill-advised in this game, because pretty much anything you can say relates to one of the roles. I hadn't got my head around that at that stage.
Or didn't think anyone would notice it as you couldn't know people would start focusing on that later on the Day?

I went through the thread - not close reading but skimming it through - to find any hints about Hades (death), Hephaistos (forging, smiths), Aphrodite (love) or Dionysos (drinking) and sadly found only those that have been already mentioned, mainly Eonwë's and Nerwen's comments. So the lovers have been pretty careful.

Well, there is one good side to this: after all this talk and searching for hints they need to be much more careful in the future and the task of the lovers finding their mates will be harder - which reduces their power considerably as most their effects take place only after they have found one another.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:53 PM   #150
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
I can't think of another explanation for Steve's comment. I'd say the only thing we can do is leave him be until we have reason to think he's been turned.
Well, it could be just flavour. It seems a pretty over-the-top way of hinting, really.

Quote:
As of now, he counts for the innocents. Later in the game, it'll be really important to have as many innocents as possible.
However, if he is Dionysus trying to hint to the wolves, that means he's decided to turn cobbler on us.

Edit:X'd with Nogrod.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:56 PM   #151
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Well, it could be just flavour. It seems a pretty over-the-top way of hinting, really.

However, if he is Dionysus trying to hint to the wolves, that means he's decided to turn cobbler on us.

Edit:X'd with Nogrod.
Unless, of course, he's trying to clue us in because he's decided he wants to be good.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:58 PM   #152
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Unless, of course, he's trying to clue us in because he's decided he wants to be good.
But if he's turned he can't be good. And if that was indeed a hint, he had to have known the wolves could pick up on it as easily as innocents.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:01 PM   #153
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
It's funny how toDay's debates can be divided up so nicely.

The initial stage:

(Almost) only bantering:
Loslote, BG, Eonwe, Autume (her comment about the usefulness of Day1 and then admitting that she forgot you can lynch people looks bad)

phantom
doing phantommy things, less annoying than usual.

Nerwen
drops the name Hades in her first post, amidst banter. Not much helpfulness after it

Boro
talks about Zeus. I remember Mith's opera-themed game, where he hinted to the wolves that he's the cobbler in his first post in a similar manner.

Wilwa
sensible, but Wilwolf is sensible, too, so I'm wary. Certainly not going to vote her toDay, though.

Foley
I don't remember her style, to be honest. She seems earnest in her attempt to contribute, so I'm fine with her for now.

Rikae
is hard to read

Inzil
not sure, but vaguely bad feeling

Feel fine:
Lalaith, Greenie, Nogrod

Barely there:
Sally, Kath, Keeper of Mirandir

The "let's talk about roles"-stage

I really dislike excessive role and rule discussion. It enables wolves to participate without actually doing anything while innocents are occupied with something other than finding them.

People getting themselves dragged into lovers/seers/whatnot discussion:
phantom, Foley, Wilwa, Nog, Nerwen, Inzil, Eonwe, Rikae, Nienna, Loslote.

Out of these, Nerwen, Inzil, Nienna and Loslote seem most suspicious, since they're staying around the fringes and/or haven't contributed much else otherwise.

The "let's talk about people's hints"-stage

Greenie
List of people. I'd like to know why Lottie and Nerwen seem innocent to her. "a bit less calculating" is kind of vague. She votes me since I'm the only one she has anything on, which is fair, but it still seems foul to me. Suspecting her to be Persephone (defends Nerwen, who could be Hades, votes me over my point against Nerwen) at this point would go too far, but it's tempting.

Kath
defends me, which is nice. She misunderstands me, too, but maybe that's because I really wasn't clear enough in my first post.

Boro
not buying his Zeus-explanation yet. Seen him do it before.

Nogrod
throws himself into the Zeus affair heads first and follows Greenie's reasons. I don't get a suspicious feel. Then he brings up Eonwe, which is fair, but he keeps on talking about him, even though there's no way we are going to lynch a possible cursed toDay. He also keeps on misunderstanding my point against Boro, even though Rikae explained it plainly again.

Autume
passive => suspicious

Lalaith
votes Boro, which might come to haunt her should we find Boro innocent, especially since she didn't have any case against him. That's why she's probably not evil, since they would have been more careful who to vote randomly.

Rikae
hm, tricking Persephone would have been a good idea, too, in hindsight
Seems very innocent in this part.

Loslote
is a bit confusing and back-and-forth with her opinion on Nerwen.

Inzil
still have a bad feeling: only talks about Eonwe.

Nienna
her only post here is about Eonwe, too.

Nerwen
I don't buy her explanation either.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:02 PM   #154
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dűm

Keeper of Dol Guldur has just left Hobbiton.
Okay so three pages later, I'm pretty thoroughly confused (but what else is new) soo as per usual I'm just going to start talking.

I really don't see Boro's Zeus comment and Nerwen's Hades one as slips or hints of any kind. It's Day 1 of a Greek god themed game. There is nothing suspicious about working in banter, especially in the first few posts (which I think those were).

And now I shall go make myself a stupidly detailed cheatsheet chart of all the roles because that's what's been confusing me the most. I shall return!
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Keeper of Dol Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:10 PM   #155
autume98
Shade of Carn Dűm

autume98 has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
But if he's turned he can't be good. And if that was indeed a hint, he had to have known the wolves could pick up on it as easily as innocents.
I think it'd be good for Eonwe to comment on this. I personally am leaning towards him being innocent at this point. However am going to be keeping my eye on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper of Dol Guldur View Post
Okay so three pages later, I'm pretty thoroughly confused (but what else is new) soo as per usual I'm just going to start talking.

I really don't see Boro's Zeus comment and Nerwen's Hades one as slips or hints of any kind. It's Day 1 of a Greek god themed game. There is nothing suspicious about working in banter, especially in the first few posts (which I think those were).

And now I shall go make myself a stupidly detailed cheatsheet chart of all the roles because that's what's been confusing me the most. I shall return!
I'm glad I'm not the only one who got confused! And a cheat sheet chart sounds like a really good idea. I think I might have to make myself one too.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:12 PM   #156
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Well then.

I'm pretty sure Eonwë is the cursed villager and he wishes to be a wolf.

Do you remember his first post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eonwë #23
Murderers? What are we, Titans?
And how did the mortal(s) manage to get here? I'm pretty sure I didn't see Zeus didn't let them in.

Also:
"Wolf!"

There, now my first post really is screaming it to all of you.
And then there is the Dionysos-stuff.

Both scream "see who I am wolves!" to me. So he went all he could trying to get their attention and to make him their target.

The problem is as the rules say:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rules
Dionysus is the Cursed. If the Wolves choose to Night kill him, he will join their ranks. Only the player and I will know that they are Dionysus. I will not reveal the Cursed until the end of the game.
That seems to me quite clear. Dionysos knows about his role and can have a mindset of a wannabe-wolf (which to me seems to be the case) - and I share my feeling with Rikae here that this is not a good practise as it makes the cursed most likely into a cobbler from the beginning of the game (there are different cursed to be sure, but that's the average reaction).

Also, there is no way we can tell if the cursed has been turned or not until the end of the game. If there is no kill at one Night we might suspect it but we couldn't be sure about that because of possible saves by the rangers. So Dionysos is a threat to the end of the game and after all this row it's pretty likely that if Eonwë isn't a wolf they will try him anyway. So it's just how probable we think his role as Dionysos is?

Some words on others in a moment, a vote, and then to sleep...
Old 07-26-2010, 07:25 PM   #157
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

A list??

Wilwa - seems to be helpful and all that. Not going to vote her; talkative people are awesome.

Kath - haven't gotten a sense of her yet, but not going to vote for her because I've never played with her before.

Boro - not ringing many bells, so probably won't vote for him toDay.

Keepandir of Dol Mira - not much to go on.

Zil - seems to be pretty innocent. Not going to vote for him toDay.

BeiGei - looks pretty normal. Probably won't vote for her toDay.

Lottie - is awesome, like normal. Not going to vote for her toDay.

Eonwe - possible Cursed; probably won't vote for him toDay because he's probably not a wolf.

Nienna - has been pretty quiet. Possibly submarine; possibly busy. Probably won't vote for her toDay.

Nerwen - seems pretty innocent. Probably won't vote for her toDay.

Folwren - not getting much of a sense for her, either, but again, have never played with her and thus will not vote for her.

Tum - I have no idea. Possible submarine. Might vote for her toDay, because of her quietness and because of her lack of contribution when she does post.

Lalaith - see Kath and Foley.

Greenie - seems pretty innocent, but I'm not at all sure of anything about her. Probably won't vote her, though.

Rikae - makes sense and seems like normal Rikae. Won't vote for her toDay.

Shasta - he exists??

Mac - feels slightly off in all his posts, and isn't really making many helpful posts. Might vote for him.

Nog - makes sense, makes good points, is being logical, not going to vote for him toDay.

Phantom - I have no idea. Is definitely contributing. I've never played with him, so I'm not going to vote him toDay.

Sally - haven't seen anything really off, so probably won't vote for her toDay.

So...Mac or Tum are likely to get my vote toDay. Pretty much no one else.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:26 PM   #158
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

I thought I'd better go back and see how all the Boro's-Zeus-hints business got stearted, since it all seemed kind of weird, so:

Boro posts, then:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilwa

First, I'm not all too certain why you've seperated Zeus from the other Lovers. If the other two Lovers find each other they will be no different from the Zeus/Hera pairing. Unless I'm missing something.

Second, Nerwen is right. They are actually all the same. The Lovers and Wolves are essentially on the same team right now. Zeus is really like a 5th wolf at the moment, except he doesn't know who 3 of them are, and has no real say in the Night kill, and counts in the innocent numbers (so maybe more like a cobblerish thing, as long as Hera is still kicking). The other 2 Lovers are potential allies for the wolves if they are united with their wolfy loves.

So, Wilwa just seems confused by Boro's remark, and gives him an explanation of the roles. Then:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
I think he meant that in that case the pantom would be on the "good" side as opposed to being Hera. Then again, we're the Olympians- there is no good or evil, only us. But you're right. Zeus would rather have Hera live than the rest of us, even she is on the opposite side.

So, Steve seems to interpret Boro's remark as Boro later explained it, and then go on to agree with Wilwa on why it's confusing due to the roles.

Quote:

Well he did say 'allied with the almighty Zeus', so he must have been meaning Phantom as Hera. I just don't get why he seperated them from the other Lovers.

Anyway. I want more action. I have to go to work later, and I don't want all the good stuff to happen without me.

So now Wilwa seems to be pushing for an explanation a bit, at least for “more action.” Well, stirring the pot is a noble enough enterprise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom

Interesting tactic, Boro (you know the one I mean- the one that has nothing to do with me personally, but the underlying tactic). Given simple odds I figure you're bluffing, but if you aren't and things happen the way you appear to wish for them to happen (I mean you're practically begging), do you realize how many peeved players there will be? I realize this is a rather free and open game and you are free to place your loyalties anywhere you please, but really...

So, Phantom seems to read Boro as a cursed or lover hinting to the wolves... at least, that's how I read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae

To others: I think Boro didn't mean "Zeus" in the sense of the role. Either that, or he's hinting at something.

The first is what I really thought; the second, as the smiley indicates, is lighthearted and directed at Phantom.

Quote:

And I hadn't considered that when Boro said 'allied with Zeus' that he meant 'the village'. I suppose that all makes more sense now.

So Wilwa seems content...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith

Doesn't to me - particularly as Zeus himself is not whole-heartedly allied to the village.

But now Lalaith is reading into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen
Is he allied to the village at all? Can he win without Hera?

And Nerwen - I can't tell if she's trying to turn up suspicion on Boro a notch, or just clarifying. Considering the possible hinting she may have done, it's interesting.

And yeah. At this point it all dissolves in a clarification of the roles I'd rather not go through again. It seems, though, that Phantom started things, and Lalaith wound them up again when they were running down. Lalaith seems to be coming into it at a late point wanting clarification, but Phantom seems to have given it some thought before posting what he did, so I'd be interested in hearing what his intentions were.

Also, Loslote, Inzil and Nerwen, I already pointed all that (regarding Steve's loyalties) out. He could be hinting to the wolves because he wants to be turned. He could be hinting to the village because he *doesn't* want to be turned, or wants to be lynched if turned. Either way, he's unlikely to be turned now, and if there is a no-kill and we don't have reason to think it's a ranger save, we can lynch him. He can't actually play as a cobbler, though - goes against his role.

EDIT: X'd with Loslote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:40 PM   #159
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Macalaure...

Quote:
There's too much talk about the lovers. They have to be loyal to their wolves (once they know them), then they're back on the village's side once the wolf is dead. While the innocent lovers can be useful, they can also be problematic, so lynching them isn't that bad. However, children, with all the lover talk, don't forget that lynching a wolf is still much, much better!
That's all there is to say, so let's move on.

There's also too much talk about the false seer.
The Lovers and the false Seer are surely the two biggest complications of this game, not to mention the fact that the former could potentially lead us to their wolf-counterparts. Yet, you don't want them talked about?

Then there's this sequence:

Quote:
Wilwa's remark on Boro's "almighty Zeus" is a good one. It doesn't make sense, but it's definitely deliberate and not a slip. My bet would be a lover leaving a hint for their mate, except that that doesn't really make sense either.

You could make a similar case for Nerwen's "what the Hades is going on". If I were Persephone, I'd know who to pick first now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
Mac - Makes sense, but also makes me raise my eyebrows a bit. Especially the following:So he's implying that Nerwen is Hades (ergo a wolf), but doesn't make a move to actually start suspecting her? If you think you've caught a wolf, why just mention it offhand instead of making a case and trying to get your supposed wolf lynched? Fishy, I'd say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
++ Macalaure

I have something on him, one argument that holds water.
Quote:
Also what Greenie said about Mac's remarks is something I had raised an eyebrow as well. Needs to think.
Quote:

Greenie, I didn't really suspect Nerwen yet because I only made the comment that what I said about Boro can apply to her just as well.
Quote:
Boro
talks about Zeus. I remember Mith's opera-themed game, where he hinted to the wolves that he's the cobbler in his first post in a similar manner.

(...)

Boro
not buying his Zeus-explanation yet. Seen him do it before.

(...)

Nerwen
I don't buy her explanation either.
So there's two little oddities here:

1. It looks like Mac starts to suspect me only after being suspected himself for not doing so.

2. Um... what does he think Boro was trying to accomplish, exactly? Plus, he seems to have come up with his theory (which I don't understand anyway) after the event.

EDIT:X'd since Nogrod.

Last edited by Nerwen; 07-26-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:41 PM   #160
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Quote:
Also, there is no way we can tell if the cursed has been turned or not until the end of the game. If there is no kill at one Night we might suspect it but we couldn't be sure about that because of possible saves by the rangers. .
Are you sure? Where did you get this?