The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2003, 01:42 PM   #1
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Silmaril Top Ten Signs You're Addicted to the Barrow-Downs

I do have a life, guys, I do, I promise! Nevertheless, my hall-mates have come to suspect that if I was dragged off from the Barrow-Downs for more than 48 hours, severe twitching, psychosis, and other unpleasant symptoms of addiction should occur (I fear they will try to test their hypothesis after break).

Here I have complied my very own ten signs that signify a dangerous addiction, and are likely to ensure a stay at the Betty Ford center. Enjoy, and post your own.

10. You have written enough private messages to various illustrious members of the forum to compile a not-so-short novel.

9. A naughty pastime of yours is the Freudian interprepations of message icons, shared with other members.

8. You say "screw it" to searching for sources for your latest paper, and begin searching for a cool new avatar instead.

7. You turn down a second date with a punnery "expert," because his skills do not quite match those of Rimbaud.

6. "Green is good," you say to yourself during those dim moments before waking and sleeping, and think of the Barrow-Wight.

5. You actually spend a sizeable portion of your bus ride to class wondering what Mithadan looks like.

4. You have a history of broken off betrothals to at least one famous site member (there could be more, but your memory is sometimes, *er*, lacking).

3. You no longer fear burra (sorry, burra)...Well, you respect burra.

2. You feel compelled to blow the money you usually reserve for alcohol on a bunch of more obscure Tolkien works, because you're tired of being put to shame by the likes of Sharkey and oblo. And, because, frankly, Tolkien is almost a family member by now.

And, the number one sign you're addicted to the Barrow-Downs:

1. Before the shower, before checking the weather, before the obligatory screaming across the hall at the neighbours to turn their %$#@ing country music down, the first thing you do in the morning is sign in and check whatever pearls of wisdom and humour were posted over the night.
Old 03-08-2003, 02:01 PM   #2
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Make room, dearest Lush, as I just hit 7 out of 10...

OK, people listen up. I have something to say:

Everyone, my name is Maika and I'm a Barrowholic!

Wow, I did it! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 03-08-2003, 02:18 PM   #3
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Annunfuiniel has just left Hobbiton.
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] This has taught me a great deal about you, Lush!
To the #1 part: Well duh, I don't even recall to have woken before I find myself in front of the screen... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
And couple more sure signs of "hopeless" case:
1. You have to eat in the living room 'cause your kitchen table is full; every Tolkien (or -related) book you own or have borrowed from the library with maps and such have invaded all the space.

2. You have borrowed Tolkien books from your university's library. Well, people can always assume you're studying English literature...

3. You forgot to borrow the books you actually were supposed to study for an exam. And while in library you had to check the BD site in case someone had PM'd you.

4. Your dog whines at the door for it hasn't been out for say 8-10 hours, it's about 2AM monday morning and still you just can't stop sending really-not-so-funny messages to Middle-Earth Mayhem or the Quiz.

5. Your computer collapses: you start to cry. And that's not because you might loose all the unsaved information you have on your computer.

Ok, it's better to stop right here... I have a feeling that people are really starting to worry about me. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-08-2003, 05:50 PM   #4
Lush
Fair and Cold

Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

Quote:
Make room, dearest Lush, as I just hit 7 out of 10...
And which ones would that be? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
1. You have to eat in the living room 'cause your kitchen table is full; every Tolkien (or -related) book you own or have borrowed from the library with maps and such have invaded all the space.
Ha ha, that's a great one. If I had a living room, or a kitchen table, I would probably have the same problem.
Old 03-08-2003, 06:02 PM   #5
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Barrow Downs is far and away the most innocuous of my addictions.

As a bonus I have learned to use the dicitioonairy and can now type up to 20 wpm...

[ March 08, 2003: Message edited by: Tar-Palantir ]
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 06:21 PM   #6
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Rolling over laughing....

Lush, some of us on the other end of the age spectrum have different problems. Try these on for size.

You know you're in trouble when...

1. Your son falls to his knees and begs and pleads for you to get off the computer so he can download his music.

2. Your husband is next in line. He falls to his knees and begs and pleads for you to get off the computer so you can cook the family dinner. (OK, I've got a great husband--but a cook, he's not!)

3. You have more pictures of Frodo and Sam on your bedroom wall than your ten-year old daughter does.

4. You can barely bring yourself to look at your latest credit card bill, since you went a little crazy on e-bay snarfing up older editions of LotR.

5. Your fifteen-year old son has to explain to his friends with some embarassment that his mother was the one who put the Frodo screensaver on the family computer.

6. You regularly go with 1-2 hours less sleep a night in your frantic efforts to keep up with the four new RPGs that you have joined.

7. Your Tolkien reading material has spilled from the kichen table and the bedroom over into the bathroom!

8. Your daughter likes hobbits and Elves so you use her birthday as an excuse to load her down with assorted Middle-earth pictures and paraphernalia.

9. Whenever you meet your friends for lunch, they beg you to tell them the next installment of the life of Cami Goodchild the Hobbit.

10. You still hang on to all your Tolkien "collectibles"--the buttons, bumperstickers, and battered books--that adorned your dorm room way back when you were a freshman, over thirty years ago!

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

sharon
Old 03-08-2003, 06:25 PM   #7
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

7. You turn down a second date with a punnery "expert," because his skills do not quite match those of Rimbaud.

~ really quite unfair, don't you think? Entirely outmatched.

6. "Green is good," you say to yourself during those dim moments before waking and sleeping, and think of the Barrow-Wight.

~ that dream about the skeletal hands is not something you'd repeat in mixed company either.

5. You actually spend a sizeable portion of your bus ride to class wondering what Mithadan looks like.

~ I call it 'healthy curiosity' and I'm sticking to that, I am.

~ You mean people fear burra?

- Maril

[ March 08, 2003: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 03-08-2003, 07:09 PM   #8
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

Oh, dear... I am 60% obsessed. How sad. I know other people who are much, MUCH worse, though...

Hey, you know what? I'm not even supposed to be on here right now, since my authorities have banned me from the web. But what the heck? They're out... [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Long live the Barrow Downs.
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 08:29 PM   #9
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

1. You tell people that you're going to check your messages. They assume voice-mail. You let them.

2. All of your really trusted friends have taken their glassy-eyed turn at listening to your latest RPG.

3. Your husband is completely sick and tired of hearing about the RPG.

4. Ditto what Child said about the credit card. Your husband says, "But it's all the SAME STORY inside those books!" You smile and say, "But the artwork is different." You need another bookshelf to hold it all.

5. You lose hours and HOURS of sleep over an RPG debate concerning elvish pregnancy and wedlock.

6. Your colleagues visit you at lunchbreak, see the green-and-black screen, and ask, "How's Bilbo?"

7. You really hate typing in extended quotes from a book or document, but you'll grudgingly do it because it's information somebody needs for the RPG.

8. The only thing you use your scanner for is LOTR; and you complainingly pay full-price for some ourrageous oversized book because it has a map or diagram that you need for an RPG.

9. Your family worries that you might sneak off to Hollywood and get your ears surgically altered into points. (Hmmmm... how much? ...nah. But... Hmmmm....)

10. Your BK-Gandalf glass goblet regularly serves to remind you of the last online conversation you had with someone of that name.

11. Your most-used baking recipes come from The Downs.

12. Once a week, you wear non-hobbittish, non-elvish clothes to work-- just to prove you still can.

13. And finally: Your husband seriously fantasizes about tossing your computer out the window into a snowbank.
Old 03-08-2003, 08:48 PM   #10
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

InklingElf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to InklingElf
Tolkien

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
I have a LIFE [i think [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]],but I'm afraid I have a double life on the BD to! Let's see:

10. You have written enough private messages to various illustrious members of the forum to compile a not-so-short novel (((Almost!))).

9. A naughty pastime of yours is the Freudian interprepations of message icons, shared with other members.

8. You say "screw it" (((For me it's "crapiness"))) to searching for sources for your latest paper, and begin searching for a cool new avatar instead.

5. You actually spend a sizeable portion of your bus ride to class wondering what Mithadan (((EVERYONE)))! looks like.

4. You have a history of broken off betrothals to at least one famous site member (there could be more, but your memory is sometimes, *er*, lacking).

And, the number one sign you're addicted to the Barrow-Downs:

1. Before the shower, before checking the weather, before the obligatory screaming across the hall at the neighbours to turn their -------country music down, the first thing you do in the morning is sign in and check whatever pearls of wisdom and humour were posted over the night.

:Jumps Up and Down:
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
InklingElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 09:15 PM   #11
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

One more-
- When you consider hiding your screenname so other BD'ers won't see how much time you spend here... [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 09:25 PM   #12
Lush
Fair and Cold

Sting

Good ones! I think Helen (mark12_30) is a bit more obsessed than I am, who's up for sponsoring her trip to the Betty Ford center?

Child, thanks for giving me some perspective.

Maril, I think a public flogging by burra is one of the rites of passage on this site. Well, for some people, at least.

Tar, since I have LAN, I am pretty much always signed in here. Though even without LAN, I can readily admit to spending a ridiculous amount of time browsing though the threads, especially the old ones in the Books. Go me!

Anyone else?
Old 03-08-2003, 10:52 PM   #13
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

1. Half the wall in your bedroom is covered with LOTR pics.

2. When you have 50+ LOTR pics saved to your computer,

3. You always visit the BD before doing your homework.

4. You stay up until the wee hours of the morning on a school night to write an RPG post.

5. You get up at 5:00 AM so you can edit or finish that RPG post.

6. You daydream during your classes about getting back on the BD.

7. You socialize with people more on the BD than in real life.

8. You force your parents to listen while you read your RPGs aloud.

9. Your friends beg the impossible; to give up talking about LOTR for Lent.

10. Your friends beg you to give up talking about LOTR for just one day and still you refuse.

Oh dear, I really am addicted.
Old 03-08-2003, 11:09 PM   #14
Aerandir Carnesir
Wight

Aerandir Carnesir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Brinniel, I got a 10/10 on your's. As I'm typing this post, my dad is telling me to get off the Downs! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Ranger of the Dúnedain(and Raging Barrowholic),

Aerandir Carnesir [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ March 09, 2003: Message edited by: Aerandir Carnesir ]
Aerandir Carnesir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 11:50 PM   #15
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Quote:
And which ones would that be?
Trust me Lush, you don't even want to know! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

But I can add a few more.

1. That you risk your job (but that's not important) by sneaking onto a computer at work, which you're actually not allowed to use, so you can inform the others in the RPG you're in, that your own puter is broken so you won't be able to post for a while.

2. That you eat by the puter so often, you've had to get one of those plastic covers for your keyboard. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

3. That no matter what time of day (or night) your friends pass by your window, there's an 85% chance they'll find you by the puter, completely hypnotized by the green letters.

4. (more Tolkien in general) That you once used all the paint you could get in the red and yellow scale, to show other people your fascination with huge, flaming eyes....(sadly, I lost that one)

[ March 09, 2003: Message edited by: Maikadilwen ]
Old 03-09-2003, 12:40 AM   #16
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

What a wonderful thread, Lush! I’m laughing so hard while recognizing myself all over the place! Oh well, I keep saying that there are worse addictions than one that makes me think, read and write creatively, right?! Here are a few additions of my own:

1. You panic when the site and/or forum is down for a few minutes and go into the chat room to find out why and how long.

2. You stay up really late or get up really early to compensate for the fact that your time zone is out of whack with prime time on the Downs.

3. You keep the rest of the family awake, not just with the sound of typing, but with a live Tolkien reading on voice chat.

4. You have mixed feelings when your kids come home to visit – you love them, but they want time on your computer!

5. You place other working utensils (ironing board, sewing machine) in the room with your computer and say you’re going to be working.

6. You leave the computer on all day, just so you can “peek” in to see if anything new has been posted.

7. You plunder Alk’s member pics page and the chat wight page for pictures of the people you talk to most, print them and attach them to the wall behind your monitor, so you can see their faces while chatting.

8. You spend hours paging through the dictionary to find funny equivalents for Middle-Earth names and places for a parody RPG.

9. You buy dozens of chocolate children’s eggs to get the LotR figurines that are hidden in some of them, even though you don’t like that brand of chocolate.

10. You buy the complete set of HoME books because of the many discussions about them on the forum, but don’t have time to read them because there’s so much forum reading to do!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 02:34 AM   #17
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes! I too always go on the Barrow Downs before I start my homework!
and also before I go to school
and before I go to the gym
and before I go to dinner
and before I go to sleep
and before I have my lunch
and I go on it at school
I go on it all the time, but gosh I love it here you guys! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Here is another reason:
You study your books just so you can be the first to answer newbee questions in the book forum.
You start having people call you by your Barrow-Downs nickname.
Old 03-09-2003, 04:09 AM   #18
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Mark12_30

Quote:
5. You lose hours and HOURS of sleep over an RPG debate concerning elvish pregnancy and wedlock.
Oh please tell me this is NOT true!
Old 03-09-2003, 09:40 AM   #19
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

You also know you're obsessed when:

1. You have a 2000 word essay to write for the next day and you're so hypnotised by the Downs that you've only typed 10 words (sadly, this is the case for me at the moment)

2. You can't help but mention people on here when having an entirely unrelated conversation with your friends.

3. You occasionally burst into fits of giggles at the most inappropriate moment because you remember something that happened on the forum/chat
Old 03-09-2003, 10:26 AM   #20
Aerandir Carnesir
Wight

Aerandir Carnesir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've got another: You check Barrow-Downs before you go to church, and when you go to church, you bring your Tolkien books instead of your Bible.(This may not apply to everyone)

Ranger of the Dúnedain,

Aerandir Carnesir [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Aerandir Carnesir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 10:32 AM   #21
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Thumbs up

Wow, on yours, Brinniel, I'm 60 or 70% addicted. I would be 100% or 90%, I'm not sure, except for
Quote:
4. You stay up until the wee hours of the morning on a school night to write an RPG post.

5. You get up at 5:00 AM so you can edit or finish that RPG post.

8. You force your parents to listen while you read your RPGs aloud.
Welll...almost. I go to bed late and get up early to read other peoples RPGs or to post something on a different part of the site, or on a different Tolkien site....and I read my parents my posts. Not RPGs. Same difference. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] There's a really funny "100 signs you are addicted to Lord of the Rings" on some other site, but that site is in "My Favorites" on my computer, and considering there were 35 sites there the last time I counted, [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] I don't think I'll be able to find it. If I do, I'll post the link.

[ March 09, 2003: Message edited by: GaladrieloftheOlden ]
Old 03-09-2003, 10:37 AM   #22
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Brineill:90%!! Go me! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

And another...

1.Your math notebook consists to one quarter of unfinished problems, the rest is new sigs you want to try, unfinished characters for RPGs, "Barrow-Downs rock" in elvish etc, etc

2. You spent time wondering what would happen if you would recognize a BDer if she/he came to your school as a new kid/teacher

3. You annoy your friends you´re actually InstantMessaning with by saying "Wait a sec, I have to finish an RPGpost" or "Do you know who said _______"

4. You lie on your bed, mortally depressed because you can´t find a picture nice enough to send on the MemberPics page

5. You care more about a good rpg post then a good grade

6. Getting a higher member status is one of your natrual highs

7. One of your new-years resoloutions is "Yet a QQ answer before Beren87 does", and another is "Stop making spam posts"

8. You rename your computer into "Barrow-Wight 2", but go back to "goddamn-crap-thing" because one can´t be mad at the BW

9. You make your friends register here, and then continue pestering them untill they jump in an RPG (right, Sindae?)

10. When people REALLY annoy you, you call them "stupid, chat-language using, Orlando-swooning newbie"!, and collect odd looks

[ March 09, 2003: Message edited by: Manardariel ]
Old 03-09-2003, 11:20 AM   #23
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Quote:
10. You buy the complete set of HoME books because of the many discussions about them on the forum, but don’t have time to read them because there’s so much forum reading to do!
ROFL-- Guilty as charged, although I'm lacking two of the books. And I bought them for RPGs-- C7A is a Marciless Taskmaster. (Gondolin, Ladros, Dorthonion, Numenor, and the Early Third Age Anduin-- all in ONE GAME???)
Old 03-09-2003, 12:40 PM   #24
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

wow- 100% on brinniel's and about 80% on manardariel's!

on the other hand a lot of you are much worse (or better!) and i'm not sure if i'm happy or not. i'm kind of used to being known as a lotr freak, and here i'm nothing! not even a ghost prince!

here's probably a unique one:
#you look through your desktop calender and write a quote matching the picture in your diary everyday!#

#you lie in bed at night planning scenarios/future posts for RPGs or trying to get the tricky quiz question#

#the day before your mock exams start you sit in front of your computer with a growing realisation that, yes, you really ARE addicted to the BD!#

#you know that the day before your actual exam you will still be checking whats going on, even though you know you need the grades to get to uni. why can't they do lotr studies, thats what i want to know?#

[ March 09, 2003: Message edited by: Lyra Greenleaf ]
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 02:10 PM   #25
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hehehe! These are great! I can't say that I match all of these, but I would do a lot more of them if say, I had a daughter, or a credit card, or money! A few more:

You only check your email to see if anyone from the BD's emailed instead of PMing you.

You spend more than 30 minuets every day here.

You have been here for at least 6 mounths

You read books by tolkien, not because you haven't read them, but to find a new topic to discuss

You write "ash nazy durbatuluk.." or other things in the black speech wherever you can

When you find someone who likes tolkien, the first question you ask is "who are you on the BarrowDowns?"
Old 03-09-2003, 04:03 PM   #26
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have no idea how addicted I am, I just know that I am. Here's one more:

You've just spent at least fifteen minutes discussing with your friend over instant messaging how like you all this is, copying and pasting each point which is relevant to you. At first they fully agree but when you go back and read the conversation you realise they got bored and you've actually been talking to yourself for the past ten minutes.
Old 03-09-2003, 04:06 PM   #27
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Got some more:

1. Your BD nickname is printed on the back of your favorite sweatshirt.

2. You constantly beg your best friend who likes Tolkien to join the BD.

3. You spend hours searching for the perfect avatar.

4. When you read about a name or place from The Silmarillion, you automatically think of someone from the BD.

5. No one ever calls you anymore because you are constantly online.

6. Your Tolkien books are torn and abused from constant use.

7. You're never completely satisfied until you have been on the BD for at least once each day.

8. You hardly ever go outside anymore. What's the point?

9. You begin to dream about being on the BD in your sleep.

10. Your favorite quotes come from the sigs of other members on the BD.
Old 03-09-2003, 04:08 PM   #28
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

HA! Brinniel, according to yours I am only 30-40% addicted!
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 04:10 PM   #29
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

*grins

You know you are hopelessly possessed when BW asks you to be a moderator and you agree.
Old 03-09-2003, 04:22 PM   #30
Hirilaelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Hirilaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am well and truely obessed then. Especially with RPG. I keep telling all my friends about my favorite battle scene that I have written, spend hours typing up posts and revising them, and I always check BD before homework! I am obsessed...
Hirilaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 04:28 PM   #31
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Hey, maybe I should get my nickname printed on the back of my track sweatshirt [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] Good Idea.
Old 03-09-2003, 04:34 PM   #32
Galadrie1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadrie1 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

These are great! How about this one: If you have a special "computer copy" of LotR (and other Tolkien books) that has the beginning of each chapter marked, and certain "frequently-used" passages highlighted.
"For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel."
Galadrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 04:51 PM   #33
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have a feeling if I put Dragoneyes on my clothing, there's bound to be someone who points out to me that my eyes aren't actaully like that of a dragon's.

I have to admit, I have had a dream about the BD, all I can remember now is the green writing and black screen though.
Old 03-09-2003, 04:54 PM   #34
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

I will admit, I have had a dream about the people on the BD before. I just have no recollection of what happened. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2003, 04:56 PM   #35
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think the major sign that you are addicted is that you sit in front of your PC screen with no other web boxes open and just press REFRESH every 2 minutes to see if anything has changed and every so often check if you have any messages. I admit to doing this quite often and have to physically force myself to go to bed when I realise that no-one is going to add to an RPG because they are in a totally different time frame in the states. D'oh!
Old 03-09-2003, 05:13 PM   #36
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

I didn't count how many there were in total, but I got 51. Being that I don't have a spouse or kids and I'm not Christian, some of them didn't apply to me. Here are a few more:
* You find yourself saying, "That reminds me of when Aragorn_Isildur on the Chat said..." or "You know (fill in Barrow-Downs member)? Well, I saw his pic, and he's really hot..." more than you find yourself making real-world conversation.

* You have actually convinced at least one of your friends that was previously not a huge Tolkien fan to come to the Chat or Forum.

* You begin accidentally answering your friends in what Elvish you know.

* You begin taking notes in the language you came up for your fanfic about some races of Maia not discussed by Tolkien (you make up the races, of course, but you have a way to fit them in).

* You have two languages that you've made up that you do that in.

* You begin carrying your Lord of the Rings characters to fantasies about living other stories.

* You argue that "The Silmarillion" is a history of sorts when you begin trying to explain the entirety of the book in history class.

* You start yelling at anything fantasy-related that you read or see that has anything remotely connected to Lord of the Rings (Harry Potter has a character named Wormtail...coincidence? I think not! Couldn't come up with an original idea, could she? Nooooo...had to steal...).

* Before you speak to your friends, they now say, "We know, we know: In Lord of the Rings..."

* You have spent an entire 55 minutes giving an ad-libbed speech to your friend about how the fact that he hasn't read Lord of the Rings nor seen any of the movies will seriously affect his life.

* Whenever you Improv in Theatre Club, you think of a character from Lord of the Rings and take it from there, creating a modern version of the character.

* You begin to laugh hysterically in the middle of class just remembering some of the threads on the Middle-Earth Mayhem board and some of Lush's threads.

* You compare anything to a thread in here, even if the thread was not really Tolkien-related (The "How Many Barrow-Downers Does It Take to Screw In A Lightbulb?" thread gets brought up a lot, as my friend has a similar thing in her locker that a group of her friends wrote about their camp).

* You've converted at least 9 people (two of which are your mother and father) to Tolkien fans.

* Not only that: you have your mom now bringing up obscure Tolkien references when she hasn't even read anything other than Lord of the Rings because you talk about the other books so much.

* Your dad mentions when you haven't talked about Lord of the Rings for more than 20 minutes.

* You rant about how they ruined Arwen anytime anyone even says the name "Arwen" now.

* You spend time writing ways you know you're addicted to the Barrow-Downs and/or actually fall into all these categories.

* Your aspiration in life is to be as Elf-like as possible, as people always tell you that you would make a perfect Galadriel.

* You see any movie with anyone from the Cast of Lord of the Rings, just to see their acting style in other movies.

* You name anything you have to name with names in Sindarin, Quenya or Westron.

* Friends actually approach you for name recommendations, asking you to translate.

* People seem to assume that, because you are so into Elves, you will actually meet one of the actors that played one of the Elves one day and will really marry them (some of my friends are planning my wedding with Orlando Bloom, others with Craig Parker, and actually some with Sean Bean...although: judging that they are all at least 10 years older than I am...)

* Your teachers all know how much you are addicted to Tolkien and fear you for it.

* You think that they should have Tolkien Language Studies at your school, even though they are, after all, made-up languages.

* You run out of ideas, but keep mentioning anything that you've ever done or keeps happening to you that is related to Tolkien, in the hopes that, if you keep typing, you'll think of something really good...*sigh* oh well, no such luck...
Old 03-09-2003, 05:30 PM   #37
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
You have been here for at least 6 mounths
hey thats cheating!. what about if you've been here for six/seven weeks and posted 268 times?

Quote:
You rant about how they ruined Arwen anytime anyone even says the name "Arwen" now.
never mind arwen, what about faramir?

[ March 09, 2003: Message edited by: Lyra Greenleaf ]
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 07:04 PM   #38
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Sting

When writing essays for English, you accidently place smilies in your paragraphs. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2003, 07:22 PM   #39
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Oh! That's funny, and true! I'm a bit addicted to several forums, and have a difficult time when writing notes and letters. Must have my smilies to communicate! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Sometimes, I'll get frustrated and try to draw my own, but they look pretty stupid! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[ March 09, 2003: Message edited by: Liriodendron ]
Old 03-09-2003, 07:53 PM   #40
Lush
Fair and Cold

Sting

Quote:
You begin to laugh hysterically in the middle of class just remembering some of the threads on the Middle-Earth Mayhem board and some of Lush's threads.
I'll be taking that one as a compliment. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote:
some of my friends are planning my wedding with Orlando Bloom, others with Craig Parker, and actually some with Sean Bean...although: judging that they are all at least 10 years older than I am...)
So? I am currently besotted with a man who is thirty-five years older than I am, not to mention five years older than my father (for more information, explore my sig), and I don't find anything wrong with that. His intellect + my youth and good looks = a good time. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

So if you want Orlando, go for Orlando. Just, uh, don't blame me when you are labeled "obsessed", just like moi.