The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2003, 05:31 AM   #121
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You watch Shrek and when you see Princess Fiona you immedietly think of Estelyn Telcontar!

Happened to me about half an hour ago [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-29-2003, 10:39 AM   #122
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

What, am I the only one not to do that?!
Old 03-29-2003, 01:28 PM   #123
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

Quote:
5) you associate the word "lush" with "mad" and curse the fact that you were born without a tinge of russian blood
Yes... Lush has made me jealous of Russians. And when my friend told me she wanted to go to Duke, I laughed for the thought of her and Lush bumping into each other.

Another thing: I cannot hear the song "Lush Life" without thinking, "that does sound a lot like Lush's life." Lol, sorry Lush! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 02:03 PM   #124
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Quote:
(5) you associate the word "lush" with "mad" and curse the fact that you were born without a tinge of russian blood
Or, in my case, you keep saying to yourself, "I'm very Russian! Just like Lush!" Sometimes you say that out loud...in inappropriate places, which draws some interesting looks.

Or you have posted more than thrice on this board, come to think of it.

If you have posted less than thrice, if you not only agree with most of what was said here, you have made at least five contributions.

The way people use words in here has changed your speech pattern in real life (I never used to say "thrice" before, for example).
Old 03-29-2003, 03:56 PM   #125
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've ALWAYS used thrice, and what a good word it is too! Here's another one:

You are being very unsocial and sitting at the computer while you aunt and uncle whom you only see five times a year or so are sitting at the dinner table at the other end of the room chatting amiably with the rest of the family.
Old 03-29-2003, 07:36 PM   #126
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

I would prefer the nickname of "Lush" to be associated with something other than "mad," though then again, 'tis better than "bad" or "sad."

My dream of becoming a BD commodity has been achieved in some circles, I believe. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Per the forum, you know you are addicted when you tell your friends: "I can quit whenever I want to!" A statement that made my roommate laugh.

[ March 29, 2003: Message edited by: Lush ]
Old 03-29-2003, 08:32 PM   #127
Eressië Ailin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eressië Ailin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eressië Ailin
Question

I can quit whenever I want to!!!

See, I'm actually gonna eat at a table tonight instead of my computer!

BTW, I love the word thrice.
Eressië Ailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 10:10 PM   #128
Eressië Ailin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eressië Ailin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eressië Ailin
Question

I told you I could do it! I told you so! I can quit anytime, anywhere! *innocently tries to hid a half-eaten plate of food behind her back* [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Eressië Ailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 10:54 PM   #129
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
You watch Shrek and when you see Princess Fiona you immedietly think of Estelyn Telcontar!
This happens to me, but in a different way. There is this one person on my track team who has a customized sweatshirt, and since her name is Rachel *I think* or something like that. On the back she has "RAE" on it, so everytime I see it, I always think of Raefindel, because everyone calls her Rae for short. It actually makes me think of putting Gorwingel on the back of my sweatshirt, or getting a Barrow-Downs T-shirt and wearing it while I work out. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2003, 01:49 AM   #130
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

I have "Brinn" on the back of my Honor Society sweatshirt. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I've heard people at my school laugh at my sweatshirt, which I find funny because they don't know me at all. For all they know, it could be my real name (considering they called me, "the girl with the sweatshirt that says 'Brinn'")! Anyways, I don't think there's anything weird about putting my screen name on a sweatshirt, considering that my friends put Star Wars names on the back of theirs. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2003, 02:12 AM   #131
steve
Wight

steve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to steve
Sting

(10) You know all the members' rank as well as their sig and avitar

(9)have a quick icon on aol for each of the forums on the downs u post on

(8) watching your dad get up from beg at 8 am becauase u frogot to go to sleep because u were up all night reading a 4 page long top 10 list (this list for those of you that are thick out there)

(7) you spend hours on bree under bree hill on the downs member pic page trying to figgure out what burra is (i dont know if this is the case for anyone else but i dont know, please help em wit this one, and burra, plz dont hurt me...)((i say this not to be rude but because my girlfriend says your a girl and she insists that and its driving me nuts not knowing, im sry if i was rude...))

(6) You get other people hooked on this site by talking about it insesiantly

(5) you start thinking that little "thing" that barrow-wight has as his pic is cute

(4) you are going to use a replica One Ring as your wedding band

(3)you froget that its "just a book" (actuially once i started asking my history teacher about the battle of pelennor fields because i frogot it wasnt real)

(2)you bought another sam action figgure because the hair color was slightly tinted more brown then the other was

(1) the number one sign ur addicted to the downs is ---Drum roll please--- the number one sign is... when you put in your will that u want to be burried in your downs Tshirt

[ March 30, 2003: Message edited by: steve ]
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 11:34 AM   #132
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Sting

Gorwingel, I get the same thing; theres someone in my class called Irena (said Ir-AY-na), or Rae for short. It always makes me think of Raefindel!
Old 03-30-2003, 11:48 AM   #133
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Unluckily, all the people I know have boring names, not LotR-ish at all. If I get older and have kids, I might make their first names be LotR, probably, but definitely their middle names. Now there's a sign of addiction! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2003, 12:03 PM   #134
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

There is a thread about that...somewhere...about What LotR names would you give you kids?. Something like that...I cant remember. Anyone remember?
Old 03-30-2003, 01:55 PM   #135
Scott
Wight

Scott has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Scott
Tolkien

Just today I found myself pronouncing words in my head like celebrate and adhere "kelebrate" and "athere."
Anyone else follow the dogma of the Appendices as crazily?
Old 03-30-2003, 03:14 PM   #136
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
There is a thread about that...somewhere...about What LotR names would you give you kids?. Something like that...I cant remember. Anyone remember?
Here is one!

Here is another!

Another One

Another one

That is all for now, but there are probebly more. No, there are no repeated topics here!

[img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2003, 12:17 PM   #137
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
I never did that until now. Now I even see Estelyn in the Matrix, thanks to the Matrix-style fight Fiona has with Robin Hood's men in Shrek... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2003, 12:42 PM   #138
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Quote:
Or, in my case, you keep saying to yourself, "I'm very Russian! Just like Lush!"
Yay! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
You are addicted if when you are looking through the AIM profiles of everybody who's on for no particular reason, and one them has "Lush is a cool word" (people like to put random stuff in their profiles...) you friek out and dance around the room. Happened to me. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2003, 01:18 PM   #139
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Quote:
Now I even see Estelyn in the Matrix
Ive done that before, but with different people. You know, like inserting members into different film characters, or finding what book characters theyd be?

Oh dear...
Old 04-05-2003, 04:25 PM   #140
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

You have a friend named "Katie". You almost spelled her name "Kkate" the other day. Welcome to my world.

The same day (or night, rather), you have a dream that the Mod's get fed up with the Forum (as I'm sure you Mod's do), and abandoned us forever. Well, Mary-Sues took over the Forum, and all there messages consisted of one word typed over and over again for an entire computer screen-worth of words. You know what the word was? The word was "doom"...very fitting, in my opinion.
Old 04-06-2003, 10:44 AM   #141
kymmi666

Sting

addicted to this place? i think not.

pathetic, really.
Old 04-06-2003, 01:45 PM   #142
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Quote:
3. You no longer fear burra (sorry, burra)...Well, you respect burra.
Quote:
(7) you spend hours on bree under bree hill on the downs member pic page trying to figgure out what burra is (i dont know if this is the case for anyone else but i dont know, please help em wit this one, and burra, plz dont hurt me...)((i say this not to be rude but because my girlfriend says your a girl and she insists that and its driving me nuts not knowing, im sry if i was rude...))
I don't usually laugh out loud, but that got one from me. Ah, me. Burra's a guy. Though that "what is burrahobbit?" question is so terribly tempting....

Anyway, yes I am addicted, it's true. I know it's really bad when I spend more time writing an RPG post than I do working on my novel. That happens all too often.

I've done the wee-hours-of-the-morning thing very, very often.

I've hid my screenname in shame.

I've spent hours searching for cool avatars and pithy quotes. I even found an avatar for someone else.

I almost called a friend mien schatz even though I have no idea what that means. I just know Lush uses it...

And Elvish screennames which were a mystery to me at first now roll off my mental tongue. And let me see... Marileangolfornium? Oh, close... I don't think that's right though.

I would, however, rather be addicted to a website than so petty as to log on just to criticize other people for it. Talk about a real waste of time...
Old 04-07-2003, 11:06 AM   #143
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

I have one: you are now very happy when you are sick and stay home from school, because you can rush onto the BDs!
Quote:
addicted to this place? i think not.
pathetic, really.
Well, if it's such a waste of time, why are you here? kymii666, I would strongly suggest you getting offline. And staying there. Or at least leaving this site alone. BTW, what's with "Charles"?

[ April 07, 2003: Message edited by: GaladrieloftheOlden ]
Old 04-07-2003, 12:43 PM   #144
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Charles is his/her imaginary friend. Kymii, you have seventeen posts here, you evidently have a sense of humour, if a slightly twisted one....so why have you spent every one of those posts blagging the Downs and its members? Live and learn, or just leave.
Old 04-08-2003, 10:24 AM   #145
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

10. Your wife threatens you with Divorce [ for the tenth time] and you are reminded of JRRT's line in the Biography ' somethings you have to be willing ot fight over'.

9. It is of course your default screen on the pc, although you may perhaps spend too much mental time pondering which forum should be there...

8. your children roll their eyes when they see the green and black...*DAD can you please.....*

7.All of your M-E books are within arms reach of the computer so you can respond as effortlessly as possible, well most, you, of course have to many for them all to be that close...

6.YOu can far too easily find 10 of these!

5.You start wondering what BD'ers live wherever you are traveling to [even though the admins don't exactly approve [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]]

4. You realize with [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img], that it is your favorite social circle - by far.

3.Too not appear so much of a fool you actually have 2 english handbooks, a thesaurus and a dictionary right where valuable ME-E book real estate should be on the desk [thanks maril and bethberry [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] for the gentle chastening, I hope I have improved at least somewhat].

2. You decide to try and right the ultimate guide to M-E and you can immediately think of 2 fellow downsman to aid you...

1. Becuase of the Downs you actually start trying to write the thing! [with the aforementioned helpers agreeing of course, how could they resist - they too are BD'ers ? [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
0. you are no longer puzzled by Burrahobbit, he has become a comfortable [if predictably odd] part of the BD ambience *lindil pauses ponders using the 6th emoticon from the left - decides it is below his extremely exaggerated sense of dignity and types this instead].
--------------------------------------------

earlier it was said: "Don't keep us from knowing if you are currently on line! Because I always like knowing who's on when. Besides I am not going to be bashful about being on this website a lot."

heh heh,BTW.... the mods can see who's hiding so it is useless, cause then we all just talk about you on Mod Gorthad [no we don't really - actually we hardly communicate at all amongst ourselves [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]] but we can see who's trying to hide from Who's online...

Quote:
(Ghastly Hobbits beckon with skeletal fingers):
"Come, Hilde [*lindil substitutes own name*]. Come to the RPG Rooooooms! Why, they hardly take any of your time at allllll. Just a few minutes a day. You know you want tooooooooo..."
you mightly resist the temptation, even of the now famous Entish Bow....you resist,
you resist,

YOU RESISIT!.....you res..............

OK just open page of one RPG, that's all...*lindil slides down into the abyss of one final straw breaking the camel's back of too many M-E projects and intersts...AAHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......*

[ April 08, 2003: Message edited by: lindil ]

[ April 08, 2003: Message edited by: lindil ]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 10:46 AM   #146
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hmm well one thing i know i do is that i don't tell other people about this site because i am selfish and don't want to share, even with my sister. She has entmoot i have barrowdowns, my preeeeeeeeeciousssssssssssss............

Hey that green thing in BW's avatar is cute!!!

[ April 08, 2003: Message edited by: Lady_Báin ]
Old 04-08-2003, 10:51 AM   #147
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Quote:
6.YOu can far too easily find 10 of these!

5.You start wondering what BD'ers live wherever you a retraveling to [even though the admins don't exactly approve ]

4. You realize with , that it is your favorite social circle
Oh, ouch, guilty on each of these causes. The Hobbits have got me too Lindil! Or possible I was one of the getters.... [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Hilde...thats a pretty name...
Old 04-08-2003, 12:31 PM   #148
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

The 6th...oh yes. lol.

I love your avatar by the way....waiting eagerly for the second film...
Old 04-11-2003, 04:50 PM   #149
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

You have the hardest time on the National Day of Silence not coming on here, even though you've restricted yourself to no verbal communication, and nearly give in, trying to say "well, people might not read it as soon as I post it, so maybe it doesn't count". I had will power, so I didn't come in, luckily, but it was so hard! Not actually speaking was very easy, but not coming on here...yeesh...
Old 04-12-2003, 08:48 AM   #150
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

National day of Silence? Hmmm, maybe a US thing. Anyone know if we have one in the UK and Ive just been missing out on that for the past 14 years?
Old 04-12-2003, 09:46 AM   #151
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Quote:
2. You decide to try and right the ultimate guide to M-E and you can immediately think of 2 fellow downsman to aid you...

1. Becuase of the Downs you actually start trying to write the thing! [with the aforementioned helpers agreeing of course, how could they resist - they too are BD'ers ?
*Pulls out credit card and waves it at Lindil*

'Put me on the 'advance buyers' list please (And will it be available through the BD Store?! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img])

I need just one more book to pile on the floor around my computer chair!

Quote:
7.All of your M-E books are within arms reach of the computer so you can respond as effortlessly as possible, well most, you, of course have to many for them all to be that close...
Old 04-12-2003, 12:10 PM   #152
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Quote:
National day of Silence? Hmmm, maybe a US thing.
Well, we don't have them in Wisconsin... or at least nobody told me. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Hmmm... *eyes radio which is tuned to a rather loud rock station, feeling suddenly guilty*
Old 04-15-2003, 02:45 AM   #153
Telquellewen Greenleaf

Silmaril

aerandir! i find a lot right about myself! and brinniel- 100% harharhar! i'd like to add some of my own:
1. when your mom screams, calling you to get off the computer and you don't hear it. after all, your deeply engrossed with the BD that you don't notice, and the fact that you don't hear her a tinnie-winnie bit because you're playing the soundtrack of TTT on the computer and earphones are glued into your ears [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] she(mom) freaks out finding you stuck to the computer and scolds you with another littany of blah. then before you sleep (which is about 4am) you cry thinking you've lost a lot of minutes away from the downs. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] saaaad! then you wake up the following morning, but before you even brush your teeth... you open your computer and check on the downs. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2003, 09:31 AM   #154
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

National day of silence? I've never heard of it in the Uk...it'd be too hard for me to do anyway [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2003, 09:42 AM   #155
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Quote:
Top Ten Signs You're Addicted to the Barrow-Downs
I'm not anymore!
Old 04-15-2003, 11:01 AM   #156
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Maika, if you're implying that you've "found a cure" you should market it to the spouses of all the married addicts. You'd make a mint!

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2003, 11:08 AM   #157
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

The Eye

Uhm... Let's just say it was an eye-opener.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:30 AM   #158
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
*Pulls out credit card and waves it at Lindil*
That's the spirit! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
as for whether it will beavailable on the downs store, well I wll do my best to make it available everywhere!
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 01:46 PM   #159
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Maika, am I supposed to ask?

--Lousy at reading between the lines
Old 04-16-2003, 07:06 AM   #160
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

The Eye

Probably best not to discuss it in public. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]