The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2007, 04:48 AM   #1441
FeRaL sHaDoW
Wight

FeRaL sHaDoW has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to FeRaL sHaDoW
would it count if i walked from Hobbition aka Waikato Matamata to rivendell aka upper hut ? It is about 372 miles.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:40 AM   #1442
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Any walking counts, FeRaL, and welcome! Whether you keep track in Middle-earth terms or just count miles as I do now, the main idea is to get moving and keep moving. And walking from Matamata anywhere must be a most wonderful Middle-earth experience - I saw the Hobbiton movie site last year and loved it! Wouldn't I enjoy walking in NZ again...

Tuor, elfearz, Anorial, nice to see you on the road!

Which reminds me, I should update my mileage on the Éowyn site.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 11:26 PM   #1443
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
I'm going to start this challenge as soon as I get my little hands on a pedometer. I will be following the path of my dearest Peregrin, I decided! Because, following my dearest Samwise, would be quite boring. I can't believe, I have to walk all the way Shadowfax went. But my friend put up an interesting point, I could go in boats, ride on horses and ponies, and do whatever Pippin was doing!

EDIT: I have gotten hold of a pedometer, I have gone like 4 and a half miles since two days ago...

Last edited by TheGreatElvenWarrior; 10-15-2007 at 09:39 PM.
TheGreatElvenWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 04:21 PM   #1444
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

elfearz1 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elfearz1
Leaf

That's great TheGreatElvenWarrior. Nice to see you join us.

"You have walked 855 miles.
You have passed Nimrodel Rope Bridge.
It is 8 miles to the next landmark.
You have 67 miles to reach Caras Galadon.

`Celebrant is already a strong stream here, as you see,' said Haldir 'and it runs both swift and deep, and is very cold. We do not set foot in it so far north, unless we must. But in these days of watchfulness we do not make bridges. This is how we cross! Follow me!' He made his end of the rope fast about another tree, and then ran lightly along it, over the river and back again, as if he were on a road."
elfearz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:18 PM   #1445
goblynqueene

Question Anyone know why the page isn't working?

I've been using the walktorivendell.php page for weeks (since 1/1) and it seems it's been down for the past 2 weeks. Does anyone know why?

Old 03-17-2008, 04:42 AM   #1446
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I just checked my links to the Éowyn Challenge website, where the Walk to Rivendell originated, and it looks to me like the pages are working. Here is the link:

Éowyn Challenge main page

From there, the community and tools pages, including the mileage celebration shields, can be accessed. (For the latter, you must register.) While I was there, I added some mileage shields to my entry; the page is pretty colorful, yet there are some proudly black BD shields still visible in there!

It occurs to me that you may be referring to the Barrow-Downs main site's Rivendell pages. In that case, yes, we are having problems. The server updated its sites, and though the forum has been restored to normal, the main page with its features is still not working correctly. Please try again in the coming days - when things are back in working order, I will post a notice on this thread.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 03-17-2008, 09:31 AM   #1447
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up BD Walk to Rivendell working again

www.barrowdowns.com is working again, and the Walk to Rivendell page is now functioning as well.

I was surprised at the number of e-mails I recieved about missing the page. I had no idea it was being used as much as it is. I'm sorry for the time you were unable to access the page, and I do hope you continue to use and enjoy it in the future.

Have fun, and keep walking!
Old 03-06-2009, 10:47 AM   #1448
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

elfearz1 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elfearz1
Leaf

Thank you Barrow-Wight!

Oi! I haven't been tracking my walking in a long,long time. As you can see from the last date I posted here. I finally started tracking again and here is where I am at:
You have walked 915 miles.
You have passed Caras Galadon.
It is 7 miles to the next landmark.
You have 7 miles to reach Caras Galadon.

Suddenly they came out into the open again and found themselves under a pale evening sky pricked by a few early stars. There was a wide treeless space before them, running in a great circle and bending away on either hand. Beyond it was a deep fosse lost in soft shadow, but the grass upon its brink was green, as if it glowed still in memory of the sun that had gone. Upon the further side there rose to a great height a green wall encircling a green hill thronged with mallorn-trees taller than any they had yet seen in all the land. Their height could not be guessed, but they stood up in the twilight like living towers. In their, many-tiered branches and amid their ever-moving leaves countless lights were gleaming, green and gold and silver.
elfearz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:24 AM   #1449
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Pipe

Well, for a while I've been averaging over three
miles a day (in specific measured walking times,
not general getting about).

Btw, I believe if you add up the mileage on Walking
to Rivendell it's about 7,816 miles. I wonder what
the mileage is to go totally around the coasts of
England, Scotland and Wales.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #1450
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Thumbs up Resurrection!

After losing my tracking papers years ago, I stopped walking along with the challenge. I can't remember well, but I think that I walked all the way to Bree before I left my folder filled with my documents on a plane.

As we went on a walk today, my mum and brother decided we needed to have some sort of walking regimen. I suggested the Eowyn Challenge, and here we go! I will print off the distances tonight and we will get a Middle-earth map that I don't mind marking on, so we can visualise our progress. I am afraid that we have become rather sedentary recently and it's about time that we fix that. We will decide whether or not we want to do a Hobbit themed journey to coincide with the second Hobbit movie release. Either way, I think that this year is a great year to resurrect this thread! Let's walk with Bilbo!
Old 01-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #1451
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Thumbs up ;d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
I suggested the Eowyn Challenge
I imagined the Eowyn challenge more as pretending you are a man to get in a group of guys and kill the witch king.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:07 AM   #1452
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Quote:
Let's walk with Bilbo!
I used to walk and IIRC I got past Rivendell but then lost track

I guess I will try to revive my measurement habits (unless I forget and if I manage to locate my old pedometer ) to walk with Bilbo

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:28 AM   #1453
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I would walk, but me and pedometers just don't agree with each other.

I mean I would walk anyways (try not to...), but without measuring. I suppose I can use google maps to measure out my long trips, but what about, you know, up and down the school hall?
Old 01-08-2013, 05:58 PM   #1454
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Funnily enough, I thought of this just a few days ago. I am tempted to take part.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:35 PM   #1455
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerenIstarion View Post
I used to walk and IIRC I got past Rivendell but then lost track

I guess I will try to revive my measurement habits (unless I forget and if I manage to locate my old pedometer ) to walk with Bilbo
Oh, it would be great to see you walking again for this! My old pedometer has been lost to the mists of time, but my family will shortly be investing in new ones.

P.S. It's nice to see you again, Heren.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I would walk, but me and pedometers just don't agree with each other.

I mean I would walk anyways (try not to...), but without measuring. I suppose I can use google maps to measure out my long trips, but what about, you know, up and down the school hall?
I will have to Google Maps my walk today to measure how far I went. You should invest in a new pedometer. The last time I checked, they weren't very expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Funnily enough, I thought of this just a few days ago. I am tempted to take part.
You should. Then you can be Fili, or was it Kili that you wanted to be? I always forget. I am going to be Bilbo in this party. Brother will probably be Bombur, because he thinks that Bombur is the most hilarious.

Anyone want to join our company of dwarves? I am only four or so miles in, and I would love some Downer company for this.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #1456
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Quote:

You should. Then you can be Fili, or was it Kili that you wanted to be? I always forget. I am going to be Bilbo in this party. Brother will probably be Bombur, because he thinks that Bombur is the most hilarious.

Anyone want to join our company of dwarves? I am only four or so miles in, and I would love some Downer company for this.
I feel like I should link my facebook posts with here, but as I stated on FB, I would be Gandalf so I would show up some times, but when I do I am saving your lives.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:22 AM   #1457
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I'm still counting miles after all these years, though I've been to Mordor and back several times, I'm sure. I usually forget to update on the Éowyn Challenge site - I'll check to see if it's still working.

Yup! Just updated my miles (6250 now). Here's the site: Éowyn Challenge
Newcomers should be able to register to the Barrow-Downs group - we have lovely black shields!