The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2003, 09:27 AM   #121
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Alaklondewen, guess what this mormimng's tune was? God is good...
That does my heart good to know others are singing this song. Singing it really makes me appreciate the blue skies, green grasses, and fragrant flowers I see on my walks.

I bought a pedometer yesterday! I've never done so much aimless walking aroung my house. I'm a waitress, and I'm looking forward to trying it out today.

This quote accurately depicts how I felt yesterday. Not to worry though, I ready to hit the road today.

Quote:
The day's march promised to be warm and tiring work. After some miles, however, the road ceased to roll up and down: it climbed to the top of a steep bank in a weary zig-zagging sort of way, and then prepared to go down for the last time. in front of them they saw the lower lands dotted with small clumps of trees than melted away in the distance to a brown woodland haze. They were lookin away before them like a piece of string.
'The road goes on for ever,' said Pippin;
Old 04-05-2003, 09:50 AM   #122
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Pipe

My family left for the province and so I am left at home with my mom's half-sister, bored to death.

I was at school today, dreading the thought of going home to nothing, thinking that my "aunt" might not be home when I do; and so I decided to look for this book store.

Manila is a tough place, with smooth edges, and so I braved what is called "Remedios Circle" to look for "The Filipino Bookstore," which is supposed to be along the road leadig to that "Circle." I was wearing black capris, a red shirt with my sister's fuscia JanSport hanging on my back (which had 2 novels, a notebook, my wallet and cellphone and all of my readings for my Internation Studies class), and all I had on were a pair of Doc Martens maryjanes.

From school to Remedios, I took a jeep, not knowing where my feet will take me, so when I got down, I decided to look for that book store. So cross Taft and walked into Remedios. I walked past about 8 blocks, thankfully without hearing cat calls and whistles, and not to mention the occassional beggar. I finally got to the circle, and was surprised to see it full of people. Kids were running around barefoot on the concrete, students enjoying the beginning od summer break with a cigarette, and a few people from more affluent classes waiting for the cafes and restaurants to open. I walked around the circle, thinking about where to take my family out, and encountered a 5 year old boy, screaming the Filipino equivalent to SOB to playmates who wouldn't come near him (gee...wonder why).

So I went around the circle, and found no bookstore. Probably it's on a backroad somewhere, but I know it's somewhere around the area. I went around, and went back to where my jeep dropped me, suddenly becoming aware of the skin peeling off the back of my foot where the maryjanes stop and hit skin.

It was a humbling experiece...walking is always a humbling experience. You never the streets until your feet have spanned its paths. The experience was humbling because I now know what a hobbit feels like carrying all that weight while walking and at the same time wondering whether or not you will get to where you want to be.
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 10:04 AM   #123
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

As I mentioned before, as long as the discussions on this thread remain Middle-earth oriented, it can remain on the forum. But if it becomes simply a talk of walking tips and anecdotes, the topic will have to be closed.

Overall, the posts have been somewhat Tolkienish, but you can do better. Discussion must relate to our theme.

Thanks,
Old 04-05-2003, 12:02 PM   #124
Tarvasa
Pile O'Bones

Tarvasa has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Does posting that I walked my first two miles count? "cause I did. It was just around the neighborhood. too bad it wasn't in a wood or anything, like Frodo went through, but there are always more chances. Almost an entire year to walk.

My day schedule,
Read The Two Towers
Walk for RtR
Read the Two Towers
Bike for RtR
Read The Return of the King
Swim For RTR
Read The Return of the King

lol, with posting messages and eating in there, too.
Tarvasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 01:02 PM   #125
Rochelle
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rochelle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The day dawned a miserable one, but that is alright. I'm cuddled up in my little hobbit bed, nursing my aching hobbit muscles. I don't know how I did it, but while biking on my hobbit trail (we'll say that hobbits had bikes) I managed to aggrivate my hobbit neck *lol*

Anyone ever stop to think how aching and sore the four hobbits were on their way to Bree? I'm pretty sure Strider never got sore, as he was an aimless wanderer...but those poor hobbits!

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens"
Rochelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 01:17 PM   #126
Schmendrick
Wight

Schmendrick has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This is not fair!!! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
I was so excited about this "project" and now the weather in Finland has turned terrible!!It has been snowing for two days already, there's snow up to knees and an icy wind (officially a "storm wind")! So no long walks really... I hope the weather turns better soon; after all, it's APRIL!
But now for the questions:

1. Which of the four hobbits (Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin) do you identify with the most? Frodo
2. Why? Well, he's just most like me, in every possible way (although I might be just flattering myself...).
3. Is there another hobbit besides those four that you identify with more? No.
4. Where did that hobbit come from? (Fanfic? RPG? Tolkien?)
5. What's your favorite walking song? I don't really have one...
6. What's your favorite Middle-Earth walking song? " The road goes ever on and on..."
7. Do you sing it to a tune? Which one/where did you get it? The tune from the movie.
8. What's your primary method of getting to Rivendell? (Walking, running, biking... etc.) Walking
9. Secondary method of getting to Rivendell? (walking running etc.) Running, biking, hopefully riding...
10. If you had a Shire-pony what would you name him or her? Hmmm...Thowra.(Has anybody read that book?)
11. Besides the usual camping & travel stuff, what single special item is in your hobbit-knapsack and why? a (CD-)walkman
12. Are you travelling alone or with other Rivendell walkers, and do they have hobbit-alter-egos? Alone...but I'm trying to "recruit" some friends [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].
13. Many of you have or will post quotes from the book about walking-- but for this quiz, pick one that stands out the most in your mind, and then tell us why you like it or what it means to you.
I have to think about this...there are so many great quotes!
14. In hobbit-society, have you come of age yet (33) or not? No
What you can/cannot tolerate/enjoy about the Shire that we're leaving behind:
15. Pipes: yes or no? No.
16. Ale: yes or no? No.
17. Gardens: Yes or no? If yes, would you rather walk through, or weed & dig? Yes! Just for walking through, though. (Or taking a nap under a tree... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img])
18. Living below ground: yes or no? No. I need to see the sky!
19. Dancing the Sprinkle Ring: yes or no? Yes!
20. Huge parties: yes or no? Yes.
21. What you like the least about The Shire?
22. Where you would want your summer cottage (or smial)?
23. Where you would settle in for the winter?
24. What would your hobbittish proffession be?
25. This one is for Dragoneyes: Will you try walking barefoot at some point, and what is your plan for doing it safely? I might try it, when it gets ( A LOT!) warmer...
--------------------

I'll answer later to some of the questions; they require some thought!
By the way, what do you think we should do to keep this thread more "Tolkien-related"? I don't want to see it closing down...
Old 04-05-2003, 07:12 PM   #127
Tarvasa
Pile O'Bones

Sting

ooo, i am only just getting on my bike for my extra mile! its 7 pm now. I reached Bywater, i need a pint at the green dragon.
Old 04-05-2003, 07:27 PM   #128
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey, Tarvasa. I am also in Bywater, shall we meet for a pint at the Dragon?

1. Which of the four hobbits (Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin) do you identify with the most?
Pippin
2. Why?
Pippin is the one that is most like me. We are both loud, annoying sometimes, funloving, and dimwitted at times.
3. Is there another hobbit besides those four that you identify with more?
Aleia, she is basically myself if I was a hobbit. What are you talking about, I am a hobbit!
4. Where did that hobbit come from? (Fanfic? RPG? Tolkien?)
Aleia is my RPG character for everything.
5. What's your favorite walking song?
Um, whatever song is stuck in my head
6. What's your favorite Middle-Earth walking song?
"The Road goes ever on and on" and "Hey, ho! to the bottle I go!"
7. Do you sing it to a tune? Which one/where did you get it?
The tunes from the movie.
8. What's your primary method of getting to Rivendell? (Walking, running, biking... etc.)
Walking/jogging so far.
9. Secondary method of getting to Rivendell? (walking running etc.)
Biking and horseback riding.
10. If you had a Shire-pony what would you name him or her?
Skeet! (My RPG pony...heh heh)
11. Besides the usual camping & travel stuff, what single special item is in your hobbit-knapsack and why?
A book, because although walking is fun, walking in another world is funner.
12. Are you travelling alone or with other Rivendell walkers, and do they have hobbit-alter-egos?
With one other. She doesn't have a hobbit-alter-ego, but she has a ranger-alter-ego.
13. Many of you have or will post quotes from the book about walking-- but for this quiz, pick one that stands out the most in your mind, and then tell us why you like it or what it means to you.
No idea. There are too many!
14. In hobbit-society, have you come of age yet (33) or not?
Nope.
15. Pipes: yes or no?
Yes!
16. Ale: yes or no?
Yes!
17. Gardens: Yes or no? If yes, would you rather walk through, or weed & dig?
Yes--but for walking through.
18. Living below ground: yes or no?
In a hobbit-hole? Sure, if it's that kind of below ground.
19. Dancing the Sprinkle Ring: yes or no?
Yes!
20. Huge parties: yes or no?
Hell yes!
21. What you like the least about The Shire?
Nothing!
22. Where you would want your summer cottage (or smial)?
Um...probably Buckland/Tookland.
23. Where you would settle in for the winter?
Probably Bywater.
24. What would your hobbittish proffession be?
Stable-person. Oh yes. Stable-person.
25. Are you going to try walking barefoot?
Of course! What real hobbit wouldn't? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 08:18 PM   #129
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Quote:
Not far from the road-meeting they came on the huge hulk of a tree: it was still alive and had leaves on the small branches that it had put out around the broken stumps of the long-fallen limbs; but it was hollow, and could be entered by a great crack on the side away from the road. The hobbits crept inside, and sat there upon a floor of old leaves and decayed wood. They rested and had a light meal, talking quietly and listening from time to time.
I would love such a place. Does anyone have one? Do you use it as the Hobbits did? Is it on your walking-route?
Old 04-05-2003, 09:48 PM   #130
Tarvasa
Pile O'Bones

Shield

That would be most enjoyable! Three miles on my first day! not bad...i don't normally excercise so three miles is big. lol.
Old 04-05-2003, 09:51 PM   #131
Faenaduial
Wight

Faenaduial has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Raefindel,

In answer to your question I am a very amature artist and writer. I love doing both in my spare time.

Now if I had just a little more time and a lot more talent...

But truthfully I get great joy out of sketching and enjoy doing landscapes and animals, especially birds.

Do you have an interest in art?
Old 04-05-2003, 11:27 PM   #132
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

I'm not an artist myself but I enjoy and appriciate art. My Daughter is an artist. I often visit the online Tolkien art sites.
Old 04-06-2003, 12:31 AM   #133
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Shield

* Gasps for breath, looking tired, exhausted and miserable * Remind me to NEVER go swimming again! We went to this lake today for a picnic to have fun and of course my boyfriend went with. We were having fun and he said “Come lets go swim”. So I put on my costume and we went swimming, we decided we were going to swim to the island on the other side. It didn’t look far but boy was it far! About an hour later we actually made it to the island, I was in pain! So it started to get dark so we had to swim back, half way there I felt like I was dying! I couldn’t go on I was about to just stop swimming but ‘Super dad to the rescue’ came speeding down the river to fetch us. I was so happy! But now it feels like I have been hit by a train!
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 05:34 AM   #134
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Before this thread gets closed: if you can't think of anything else Tolkien-related to put in your post (and we really should be able to, since we're tracking Frodo's journey) then (RPG-like) at least write as af you are an elf or a hobbit (or dwarf or...) I'd hate to see this thread closed, but the Barrow-Wight has given us two warnings already. That can't be good, folks. So:-- hobbits, elves, or closure. Our choice.

The Road Goes ever ever on
But this thread might not.
Old 04-06-2003, 05:41 AM   #135
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think Tolkien must have been a person who liked to walk. Has anybody read anything to support this?

Kept thinking yesterday how awful it would be to be out in the wilderness in the cold pouring rain. I expect it happened to Strider quite often! Builds character I suppose! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Can't deny the fellowship were a heathly lot! The only cold I can remember reading about belonged to Bilbo!
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 07:40 AM   #136
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

I finally took the time to fill out the walking questionnaire:

1. Which of the four hobbits (Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin) do you identify with the most? Frodo
2. Why? His tendency to give up hope while carrying a burden and his wish to escape his earthly bonds to heal…
5. What's your favorite walking song? Hmm, I don’t sing much while walking, but whatever song is on my mind – probably not related to walking at all.
6. What's your favorite Middle-Earth walking song? The Road goes ever on and on…
7. Do you sing it to a tune? Which one/where did you get it? No tune as yet, though the movie tune might come to mind, since it’s the only one I know. (I’d like to get the Swann/Tolkien song cycle of that name to try out those melodies.)
8. What's your primary method of getting to Rivendell? walking
9. Secondary method of getting to Rivendell? biking
10. If you had a Shire-pony what would you name him or her? Falafel (name of Merisu’s horse from my RPG… [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )
11. Besides the usual camping & travel stuff, what single special item is in your hobbit-knapsack and why? Notebook and pencil – I get my best ideas while walking and don’t want to forget them before I get home!
12. Are you travelling alone or with other Rivendell walkers, and do they have hobbit-alter-egos? I usually walk alone or with my dog, who is not hobbity at all.
13. Many of you have or will post quotes from the book about walking-- but for this quiz, pick one that stands out the most in your mind, and then tell us why you like it or what it means to you. Frodo says to Gildor and the Elves: “We seem to be going the same way as you are. I like walking under the stars. But I would welcome your company.” I also like walking under the stars…
14. In hobbit-society, have you come of age yet (33) or not? Yes; as a matter of fact, I'm hoping for a wizard and some dwarves to knock on my door any day now...
15. Pipes: only for soap-bubbles!
16. Ale: I’d prefer a nice Dorwinion wine – or do they make champagne too?!
17. Gardens: Yes, the kind that give maximal enjoyment with minimal work…
18. Living below ground: only if there’s lots of light
19. Dancing the Springle-ring: yes!
20. Huge parties: Depends on my mood and the kind of people that would be there; I’d usually prefer a smaller, comfortable group.
21. What you like the least about The Shire? The restricted, rather small-minded view of life
22. Where you would want your summer cottage (or smial)? At the seaside
23. Where you would settle in for the winter? Minas Tirith, because of the nice big library!
24. What would your hobbitish profession be? Seamstress – I love handling and working with fabrics and am always interested in clothes and style.
25. Will you try walking barefoot at some point, and what is your plan for doing it safely? I absolutely love to walk barefoot in the sand at the seaside in the summertime, and I hope I get there this summer to be able to do it.

[ April 06, 2003: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 11:36 AM   #137
Tarvasa
Pile O'Bones

Pipe

Ooo, I think I shall be a hobbit, Taravsa is my elven name, but my hobbit name is Amarantha Roper! I am from Bree. (not yet there in walking, lol) I only have time for three miles today on my hobbit bike. Still in Bywater.
Old 04-06-2003, 12:11 PM   #138
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'm gonna do it! I know it's mad, and I've left it late, but I will. I WILL! here's my questionnaire:

1. Which of the four hobbits (Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin) do you identify with the most? Pippin
2. Why? He is so young and silly and I feel like that some (OK most) of the time, despite being an ancient 18 now! 18 and 2 days, to be precise
3. Is there another hobbit besides those four that you identify with more? Ellie Took
4. Where did that hobbit come from? (Fanfic? RPG? Tolkien?) She is my Hobbit from the Green Dragon, and because that is free playing she is completely me!
5. What's your favorite walking song? Don’t know- I haven’t started yet
6. What's your favorite Middle-Earth walking song? To Rivendell, Where Elves yet dwell…
7. Do you sing it to a tune? Which one/where did you get it? From the BBCs Lord of the Rings radio
8. What's your primary method of getting to Rivendell? (Walking, running, biking... etc.) Walking
9. Secondary method of getting to Rivendell? (walking running etc.) Cycling
10. If you had a Shire-pony what would you name him or her? Elanor
11. Besides the usual camping & travel stuff, what single special item is in your hobbit-knapsack and why? A book, for breaks
12. Are you travelling alone or with other Rivendell walkers, and do they have hobbit-alter-egos? Alone, unfortunately. People think I’m nuts!
14. In hobbit-society, have you come of age yet (33) or not? Nope
15. Pipes: yes or no? Don’t smoke
16. Ale: yes or no? Don’t drink
17. Gardens: Yes or no? If yes, would you rather walk through, or weed & dig? Like gardens, not so keen on gardening!
18. Living below ground: yes or no? Not too keen…
19. Dancing the Sprinkle Ring: yes or no? It’s fantastic!
20. Huge parties: yes or no? Brilliant!!!!!
21. What you like the least about The Shire? Nothing, I love it all
22. Where you would want your summer cottage (or smial)? Ithilien
23. Where you would settle in for the winter? The Great Smials, I love the adventurous Tooks
24. What would your hobbittish proffession be? I want to be a teacher
25. This one is for Dragoneyes: Will you try walking barefoot at some point, and what is your plan for doing it safely? No, sorry. Not in London!
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 01:10 PM   #139
Tarvasa
Pile O'Bones

Question

Ooo, fun questions!

1. Which of the four hobbits (Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin) do you identify with the most? Pippin
2. Why? He is hilarious and so funny!!
3. Is there another hobbit besides those four that you identify with more? The Bullroarer
4. Where did that hobbit come from? (Fanfic? RPG? Tolkien?) Tolkien
5. What's your favorite walking song? Don’t know
6. What's your favorite Middle-Earth walking song? dunno
7. Do you sing it to a tune? Which one/where did you get it? If I had one, it would be to the tune of something in the movie.
9. Secondary method of getting to Rivendell? (walking running etc.) Spinning(does that count?) also some swimming
10. If you had a Shire-pony what would you name him or her? Elanor(I named a white calf that)
11. Besides the usual camping & travel stuff, what single special item is in your hobbit-knapsack and why? A chocolate bar
12. Are you travelling alone or with other Rivendell walkers, and do they have hobbit-alter-egos? Sometimes my parents, sister, brother, friends. I'm the only one so far walking to Rivendell, they just walk.
can't think of one.
14. In hobbit-society, have you come of age yet (33) or not? Nu huh
What you can/cannot tolerate/enjoy about the Shire that we're leaving behind: mmmm, love the scenery. its still good, but nothing beats the shire.
15. Pipes: yes or no? noooooo
16. Ale: yes or no? Cola
17. Gardens: Yes or no? If yes, would you rather walk through, or weed & dig?
Forced to garden for school, would rather walk through.
18. Living below ground: yes or no?
Maybe....
19. Dancing the Sprinkle Ring: yes or no? Never tried
20. Huge parties: yes or no? Oo, yes!
21. What you like the least about The Shire? Love it
22. Where you would want your summer cottage (or smial)? The shire
23. Where you would settle in for the winter? Gondor
24. What would your hobbittish proffession be? stable hand
25. This one is for Dragoneyes: Will you try walking barefoot at some point, and what is your plan for doing it safely?
I'll answer this anyway, in a wood or by a stream I would, i'm sure i'll do that some time soon, and I'll pick a path that's glass shard-free.
Old 04-06-2003, 01:13 PM   #140
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Walking was going well until Tuesday night, when it began to snow. I was thinking of trudging through the snow, but the road was covered, not to speak of the wilderness! It snowed hard for a couple days and then I was amazed at how much time I had to spend on Friday and Saturday! Now the weather is nice and sunny, and though the snow lingers on the ground, the road is clear.

1. Which of the four hobbits (Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin) do you identify with the most? All of them, at some times
2. Why? Frodo, because there are just times where I can relate to him entirely. Sam, mainly because of a pony I'm completely in love with. Merry and Pippin, because I can be just like them sometimes.
3. Is there another hobbit besides those four that you identify with more? Robin Brandybuck and Donnamira 4. Where did that hobbit come from? (Fanfic? RPG? Tolkien?) Robin is from the Long Winter, I can identify with her greatly, and Don, because, even though she's just a child, her personality is much like mine.
5. What's your favorite walking song? Any old Irish song
6. What's your favorite Middle-Earth walking song? Upon the hearth the fire is red...
7. Do you sing it to a tune? Which one/where did you get it? From the BBC Lord of the Rings radio... show... thing
9. Secondary method of getting to Rivendell? (walking running etc.) Biking
10. If you had a Shire-pony what would you name him or her? I already have (well, not own) one... little Tinker!
11. Besides the usual camping & travel stuff, what single special item is in your hobbit-knapsack and why? A map of the road from Hobbiton to Rivendell
12. Are you travelling alone or with other Rivendell walkers, and do they have hobbit-alter-egos? About three others
14. In hobbit-society, have you come of age yet (33) or not? Not yet...
15. Pipes: yes or no? Don't smoke
16. Ale: yes or no? Don’t drink
17. Gardens: Yes or no? I find little gardens of wild flowers everywhere I go.
18. Living below ground: yes or no? I think it would be an interesting experiment.
19. Dancing the Sprinkle Ring: yes or no? I admit I've never done it before.
20. Huge parties: yes or no? I prefer small parties with the family
21. What you like the least about The Shire? The Sackville-Bagginses! Am I ever glad to say goodbye to them!
22. Where you would want your summer cottage (or smial)? Tuckborough
23. Where you would settle in for the winter? Tuckborough again
24. What would your hobbittish proffession be? A stablemaster or a groom
25. This one is for Dragoneyes: Will you try walking barefoot at some point, and what is your plan for doing it safely? It wouldn't be safe here.
Old 04-06-2003, 01:47 PM   #141
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Happy belated birthday Miss Lyra Greenleaf!
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 02:51 PM   #142
LINZIELF
Pile O'Bones

Location: Marching to Mordor - 590.5 miles-in the Barren Hills
LINZIELF has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

[img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] walked barefoot for 1 mile today - how did the Hobbits get their feet clean? walked along reading poems from TLOTR but kept walking into the sea!!Glad to report that the south coast of uk is free from black riders but also lacking in the likes of the Green Dragon. tomorrow I will be walking over Nine Barrow Down and shall eat second breakfast on top of Long Barrow. Glad I bought pedometer but very adictive to keep walking and racking up miles!
Old 04-06-2003, 03:06 PM   #143
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Happy belated birthday Miss Lyra Greenleaf!
Thank you! I still can't believe I'm an adult...

Anyway, I just walked 3 miles, and so have officially started my Walk to Rivendell. I'm quite impressed with myself!

Can we have another list of participants please? I want to see who else is doing this thing and I hope seeing my name on the list will give me even more motivation!

[ April 06, 2003: Message edited by: Lyra Greenleaf ]
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 03:22 PM   #144
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Just out of interest, but where would the hobbits be about now if they started the same time as we had? We've been going a week or so now?

It amazes me that I've done in a week what they did in a day.
Old 04-06-2003, 04:08 PM   #145
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door!

Here is the (rather impressive) list of hobbits.

I am reminded of a custom we have in my old town: teeming hordes, some dressed as minutemen and some playing fifes and drums, retrace the 7-mile route of a certain revolutionary hero who died first in the war.

But here, instead of The Isaac Davis Trail, we (playing Pennywhistles to the tune of Concerning Hobbits, and humming The Road Goes Ever On and On) march our furryfooted progress along The Frodo Baggins ReMarch. Our re-enactment spans not hours but months-- and timezones, too.

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door! We are, indeed, being swept off to we know not-quite-where.

(edit: for the list of walkers please check the opening post.)

[ April 22, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 04-06-2003, 05:08 PM   #146
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I make that 33. We've come of age, hobbit-wise...
Old 04-06-2003, 07:03 PM   #147
Tarvasa
Pile O'Bones

Question

OOo, I am so disapointed in myself! I didn't walk or bike at all today! I can't walk any where without an adult, and everyone I knew slept the afternoon away...what lazy hobbits. [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-06-2003, 08:29 PM   #148
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Gift of the Elves

Quote:
When they came to make their meal, they found that the Elves had filled their bottles with a clear drink, pale golden is colour: it had the scent of a honey made of many flowers, and was wonderfully refreshing. Very soon they were laughing, and snapping their fingers at the rain, and at Black Riders. The last few miles,they felt, would soon be behind them.
This passage always made me laugh, and yet it also made me wonder...Why would the Elves give to the Hobbits such spirits that would lessen their fear and release their inhibitions? It's like they intentionally put them in danger.
Old 04-06-2003, 09:25 PM   #149
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I slept until 1:00. Then I walked along the path around my village in the Shire and got myself a suitable walking-stick. I conquered three miles today. I did five yesterday! It was my first day, and I was on a roll! But i start school tomorrow, so it shall become more difficult. Hobbits shouldn't have to go to school!
Old 04-06-2003, 09:49 PM   #150
Faenaduial
Wight

Faenaduial has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well I finally walked out my door and started the walk to Rivendell. This elf didn't make much progress on Saturday (2 miles) as the weather was cold and rainy but today finished a four mile hike.

It is supposed to snow tomorrow. If it does we will see if this elf can tread atop the snow.

Quote:
This passage always made me laugh, and yet it also made me wonder...Why would the Elves give to the Hobbits such spirits that would lessen their fear and release their inhibitions? It's like they intentionally put them in danger.
I don't believe the elves would intentionally put the hobbits in danger. Rather they may not have know the affect their drink would have on the hobbits.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:56 AM   #151
Maiden of the Dry Waterfall

Shield

Um...First of all, I would LOVE to join in on this...but could I perhaps BIKE instead of WALK? I mean, as long as everyone's ok with that, you know. It's just that I bike alot, so it would be good for me to have a REASON so I bike with a PURPOSE you know? [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Anywho, that's my ?.

Perlanthiriel (aka Rosie)
Old 04-07-2003, 11:09 AM   #152
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Hi, Perlanthiriel (aka Rosie)-- sure, bikes are fine-- as long as you give your bike a Shire-pony name, refer to yourself by your hobbit (or elf) name, and tell all your progress stories in terms of Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin's journey! That, by the way, is the idea for all of us at this point.

Speaking of the which: I am, indeed, most like Frodo out of all the hobbits; I went on my morning journey, and apparently lost a treasure: a diamond earring. (I thought those threaded posts were supposed to be secure??) I retraced my four-mile-walk looking for it, so it turned into an eight-mile walk, but "treasure"-wise no luck. For all I can locate the thing, it may as well have fallen into the Sammath Naur.

So if I am found next year in delirium holding a white gem (the other earring!) and groaning, "It is gone forever and now all is dark and empty", you'll just have to send me west.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:34 PM   #153
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Oh my goodness, Helen! How many carats? Bet you're crying crocadile tears!
Old 04-07-2003, 08:02 PM   #154
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Rae, RedhairedElf, you are the best companion. Thank you. I thought of you this morning when I was feverishly hunting through Bag-End for Something Precious (what was it again?...) and I found the envelope you sent me that LOTR videotape in! Did I ever ask you to thank your honey for doing that?

Carats-- oh, it wasn't the Arkenstone or anything like that. The pair totals 1/3 carat. But they are pure and white, high-q, and most importantly a Christmas present from my honey.

"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Actually, it was a bit of a lesson...

Quote:
he who cannot cast away a treasure at need, is in fetters.
Perhaps she who searches ALL DAY LONG for a lost treasure is also in fetters...
Old 04-07-2003, 08:23 PM   #155
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

He was happy to dub those off for you. I did tell him you thanked him.

Hey, am I the only Elf on this walk?
Old 04-07-2003, 09:19 PM   #156
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Don't forget me, Raefindel!

During today's journey, we stopped and had a small meal when we reached Frodo's first campsite. My pack was heavy, so I was glad for the rest.

I have entered Green Hill Country, and it's beautiful. But I can't stay here long, my eyes are now fixed on Woody End. Who knows I may run into a Black Rider tomorrow.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:33 PM   #157
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

My goodness! It is taking me forever to get out of Bywater! I walked four more miles today--hopefully I will be somewhere else by the end of the week. Maybe I should stop going back to visit the Dragon... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 04-07-2003, 10:03 PM   #158
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

That's right alaklondewen. I can't forget about you. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 04-07-2003, 10:16 PM   #159
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This sounds cool! I was just about to begin my walking program again, as I am now out of work and just got over a sprained ankle (torn ligiment).

I can do that. I will be walking 5 miles a day 3 times a week. I hope I can complete the challenge by then.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 02:35 AM   #160
Schmendrick
Wight

Schmendrick has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Frodo felt a soft touch on his face. He put out his arm and saw the dim white flakes of snow settling on his sleeve. ---
They went on. But before long the snow was falling fast, filling all the air, and swirling into Frodo's eyes."

Well, with this quote I just want to say that the weather has not changed here in Fin...I mean, Bywater [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]! I hope there will be a change soon - I'm getting discouraged! I have so much catching up to do, now...
p.s. I hope you'll find your Precious, Helen! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]