The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2003, 05:12 AM   #161
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Joy.... Joy??? Kingdom Warrior, Is that you? I haven't bumped into you "in, like, forever"; wow, it's good to see you? I'm so glad you found this thread! At fifteen miles a week you should do fine. But after what you've been thru if you get to Bree you'll be a champ in my eyes. Weathertop, and I'll celebrate! You go, girl!

Thank you, Schmendrick ! Much appreciated... It'll either show up or not, at this point. And Spring will come, hang in there; we just got a thick layer of snow, too (thick for us anyway, looks like 4 or 6 inches to me). But it's not Caradhras, and it'll melt.

Rae and alaklondewen, I can occasionally morph into LinGalad as necessary. He's m'new alter-ego. I need to get used to him anyway.

Y'know, it occurs to me that some of us are likely to arrive at Rivendell at about the same season that Frodo did. How many of you have rivers you can ford? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

On horseback? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

With nine creepy people chasing you? [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

On black horses? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

The worst part is falling off and fainting at just the right time. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[ April 08, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 04-08-2003, 11:29 AM   #162
Rochelle
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rochelle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Watch out Mark12_30! Bucklebury Ferry is crawling with black riders! *lol* (Or if you're looking at this from the actors perspective...be careful of splinters!)

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens"
Rochelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 12:38 PM   #163
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Walking Guidelines for Hobbits:
For those of us more used to the leafy lanes and green hills of the Shire, here is some advice for coping with twenty-first century city walking.
  • If you want to sing rousing songs (for example, the road goes ever on...) be prepared for funny looks
  • Walking over tarmac and concrete is never as fun as through grass. It also takes longer!
  • Bare feet: not a good idea! (trainers are quite useful)
  • Watch out for black riders...
#

I have to report a black riders sighting. Walking to the library I found three odd people standing staring at nothing among the gorse bushes. They were all seperate, and all looking in the same direction. On my way back I found two different. Where the other four are, I do not know... I know they were black riders as they took no notice of anyone passing. I had to take a detour as one would not get out of my way. They are obviously looking for something. They also all had their heads covered with hats and hoods. You think fake burberry fools me? No way!
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 12:55 PM   #164
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah, it's me Helen - still a living-dead [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

That's what I felt like for a while earlier this year! I had to disappear for a while as work was hetic (I was doing tech support for Bellsouth's DSL Internet access).

Because of that job (and the sprain which happened at work), I wound up in a Crohn's flare and had to quit work. Now I have to take the Remicade treatments every 2 months, just had my last one on March 25. The treatment is similar to chemo, but doesn't have as many side effects.

One plus though - I now weight almost 40 lbs lighter than I did last summer when I started walking (and Weight Watchers). I feel good! I can do this! Going to buy a pedometer today! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 01:39 PM   #165
Schmendrick
Wight

Schmendrick has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lyra, your description of the "black riders" was hilarious!!"Where the other four are, I do not know..." it made me laugh aloud! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
People are so strange...
Old 04-08-2003, 03:31 PM   #166
Bulelainwen
Animated Skeleton

Bulelainwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Bulelainwen
Sting

I'm defintly going to join! I was planning already to go walk a little bit in about 20 minutes or so. Now all i need is a walking stick. All that walking around school and during track really does add up. Good Luck everyone!
Bulelainwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 03:59 PM   #167
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, if we are to do our stories in the style of the hobbits, lets see if you can translate this.

On this particular journey, we had two hobbit children (a lad and a lass) of three and five years of age and a dog. Two ponies came down the road so we got the dog under control and out of their way. The ponies went happily by when all of a sudden the five year old lad rushed out in front of the leading pony, who slowed down, but the one behind didn't see and came to such an abrupt halt that its rider ended up on the floor with broken glasses and a nasty cut eye.

We called for help and took care of their ponies while they dealt with the injuries. And the young lad's mother, well, let's just say she was not best pleased. Needless to sat, I didn't do all the walking I had planned to that day.
Old 04-08-2003, 05:27 PM   #168
Salix
Shade of Carn Dûm

Salix has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well, the snow in this part of the world is finally going down. I can ride my bike by now. If my library card wasn't lost, I'd have a reason to go on a bike ride. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 04-08-2003, 05:36 PM   #169
Rochelle
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rochelle has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

The weather was cooperating today, and although the sun was hiding, it was rather warm. I had a companion with me, and together we set off down the road. We left Bywater behind, and we are now in the Green Hill Country. Such a beautiful land...I have never been in it before. Remembering the tale of Frodo and the Lord of the Rings, we stopped when the last light of the farms were gone, and raised our hand in remembrance.

Rivendell here I come!

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens"
Rochelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 07:47 AM   #170
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Despite the snow, and the wild turkey and the fox, I am at Crickhollow at last. Merry? Didn't you say there were hot baths waiting???
Old 04-09-2003, 11:11 AM   #171
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Well done mark12_30! (sorry to hear about the earrings - mine are my pride and joy and I would do a Gollum if I lost one...)
My poor hobbits were stranded in Green Hill country for over a week while I had flu. I greatly feared that they would be assailed by Black Riders and all would be lost. But fortunately they kept their wits about them and stayed hidden. If only I had got them a little further before I succumbed, they would have been under the safe care of Gildor and his people.
But now to push on and make up for lost time...
Old 04-09-2003, 12:18 PM   #172
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

Today my walking took me to the open day at the London School of Economics, which leads me to enquire: What of education in the books? I can't imagine the Elves are ignorant, at least! Sam was taught his letters by Bilbo, so- education system or home schooling? Any references anywhere in the letters or something?
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Old 04-09-2003, 03:43 PM   #173
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Yes, the Elves are the masters of language, both written and spoken. However, the Numenoreans are the ones credited with bringing written language to the Shire. Hobbits, it seems, learned to write from Numanoreans.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:16 PM   #174
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Silmaril

Can i join in? I walk about half a mile at school every day. if i walk to my rehearsals for "The Hobbit" (which is a terrible mutilation, by the way [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]) that's about six miles a week. i don't know what i'll do about the other seven or so miles. Too bad i can't really get to Rivendell this way [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 04:32 PM   #175
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

welcome to the Downs, Tinuviel of Denton. Do join us on our walk. If you have a pedometer and wear it to school and at home, you'd be surprised how many miles you'll rack up in a day.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:28 AM   #176
Tarvasa
Pile O'Bones

Tarvasa has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Due to being ill, I only did 3 miles yesterday. Still in Bywater.... a change of scenery would be great! Just three more miles to my first campsite!

My best friend has decided not to join the walk....boo-hoo!! She loves lotr and hobbits so I thought she would join, but she doesn't want to sign up for anything. I told her you don't have to sign up, ya just walk, but she decided against it anyway.
Tarvasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 09:05 AM   #177
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Snow in the Shire! When I went out for my early walk this morning, the trees, bushes, and roofs were powdered white, though fortunately, the streets were free of it, so that walking was safe. A few flakes fell this afternoon as well while I walked the last mile to Woody End with my dog. At this rate, it will take me another 10 days or so to reach Crickhollow, but I must say, just counting the miles makes me do a bit more than I would otherwise. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 09:30 AM   #178
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Yes, normally having walked in the morning I would not also feel compelled to walk at lunchtime or in the evening. But Frodo and companions marched and marched, an average of seventeen and a half miles a day (full time, obviously) with packs on. Barefoot. So I end up striving for as many walks as I can!
Old 04-10-2003, 10:31 AM   #179
Firondoiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Firondoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I only walked 16 miles my first week. I will walk more this week! I've got my whole family walking with me every other day. They won't do it everyday with me. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
"Forth, and fear no darkness. Arise. Arise, Riders of Théoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered. A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"
Firondoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 11:17 AM   #180
Vardamar
Haunting Spirit

Vardamar has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Wohoo! after eating Farmer Maggots mushrooms, I made my way to the Buckle Berry Ferry (66mi) so far I have not gotten any splinters,but I still have 7 miles to go [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Boy whoever thought over this, thank you. Most fun I had in ages.
Old 04-10-2003, 11:25 AM   #181
Schmendrick
Wight

Schmendrick has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Home is behind, the world ahead,
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadows to the edge of night,
Until the stars are all alight.
Then world behind and home ahead,
We'll wander back to home and bed."

Well, the weather was finally tolerable (except for the freezing wind - I thought my ears were going to fall off!), so I took an hour's brisk walk. I did not see any black riders, but instead I met Gollum*, who was very interested about my precious!I told I didn't have it with me...don't know whether he believed...
I was also surprised to see that the Brandywine was still partly frozen!!In April! I think I'm going to make it to the Green Hill Country tomorrow, finally! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

p.s. I really can't estimate distances (and I have no pedometer) - how many miles do you think a hobbit (=me) can walk in one hour? I walked very briskly!

* To reveal the mystery: actually it was a teenage girl, who asked if I could lend her 50 cents! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ April 16, 2003: Message edited by: Schmendrick ]
Old 04-10-2003, 12:10 PM   #182
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Schmendrick, I can walk 3 1/2 miles at least in an hour, and though I walk very briskly, my stride length is certainly closer to hobbit-sized than to Elven! What I did though, to check the distance, is drive my favorite stretch once by car and watch the counter. If I put a new battery in my bike's counter, I could use it to double-check distances as well.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 03:07 PM   #183
Sindafalathiel
Haunting Spirit

Sindafalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sindafalathiel
Sting

I'm in! In fact, I've already walked 3 1/2 miles barefoot. unfortunately, it's to cold to do so today. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
"My Legions of Terror will be an equal-opportunity employer. Conversely, when it is prophesied that no man can defeat me, I will keep in mind the increasing number of non-traditional gender roles." ~The Evil Overlord List
Sindafalathiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 03:53 PM   #184
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Poor Pippin (that would be me) has caught a cold. He has been stuck at the Green Dragon, laying in bed with fever. *drowns in self-pity* He'll be up and about this weekend though. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-10-2003, 07:08 PM   #185
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

O happy day for Aleia Took (moi, this is who I am going to be referring to as myself)! She missed out on her miles yesterday, but today she made four more and got out of Bywater! Aleia is now in Green Hill Country and hoping to do at least another four tomorrow. And of course, she will watch for Black Riders. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Poor lass, she's forgotten her cloak but perhaps she can get one on the way to Rivendell. In Bree perhaps?
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 10:04 PM   #186
Alatáriël Lossëhelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatáriël Lossëhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

After spending almost a week at the Green Dragon in Bywater coughing up a lung or two, I was finally able to hobble out the door and on down the road. I'm almost to Green Hill Country and the view is beautiful.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------"Courage is found in unlikely places," said Gildor. "Be of good hope! Sleep now! In the morning we shall have gone; but we will send our messages through the lands. The Wandering Companies shall know of your journey, and those that have power for good shall be on the watch. I name you Elf-friend; and may the stars shine upon the end of your road!"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 04-11-2003, 01:36 AM   #187
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Annunfuiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hmm, can we be absolutely certain that Saruman is dead? I mean I could swear he is messing with the weather again! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] It's snowing and snowing and... Oh well, luckily I'm an elf so let it snow, I don't mind! My footsteps are as light as Legolas' (I wish!). But I knew I shouldn't have packed a book in my backpack... I started reading it a few days ago and got so enchanted by it that I've now spent the past two days around the one and same camp fire near the Stock Road. But later today I shall continue my journey and that's a promise! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Travel safe you fellow elves and hobbits (and men/dwarves?)! I haven't encountered any Black Riders yet but I believe we should all be wary just in case...
Old 04-11-2003, 01:57 AM   #188
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

I keep having run-ins with farmer maggots dogs. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 04-11-2003, 06:41 AM   #189
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

peony_foxburr has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peony_foxburr
Sting

I did intend to set out for Rivendell sooner than this--if I take extra long strides will I catch up with the other hobbits? I have 2 small ponies of Rohan to help today (I understand they used them to help in herding their sheep) but then will have to leave them behind. The Eagles have promised to help if I can get past the Black Riders on Monday morning. Then I should have a month of mostly free time to rack up the miles! Ill edit my profile to reflect miles walked when I have some to report [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]!
(Those of you whom I met in the Coming of Age thread will probably understand the references; for others, think "Boeing 737" and "airport security!")
"And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water."
-The Return of the King
peony_foxburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 11:39 AM   #190
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

Recently my walks have been of a rather depressing nature- yesterday through Whitechapel (Home of Jack the Ripper), Bethnal Green and Mile End. There are lots of black riders in Whitechapel, mostly gangs of boys who either think they're tough, or gorgeous or both. Urgh! Give me the Shire anyday!
the Forbidden Link
Old 04-11-2003, 11:44 AM   #191
Faenaduial
Wight

Faenaduial has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Unfortunately this elf has been hunkered down waiting for the weather to brake. The beginning of the week we had snow and the rest of the week rain. I did walk one more mile through the rain on Wednesday and may brave another today.
Old 04-12-2003, 10:57 AM   #192
Tarvasa
Pile O'Bones

Tarvasa has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Woo Whoo!!! I reached Green Hill Country, and Frodo's first campsite! Very beautiful here!
Tarvasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 12:10 PM   #193
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Good for You! You are all making good progress!

And those who are caught in bad weather, don't worry, You'll catch up! (I can't believe it's snowing in April! ...grumble grumble!)
Old 04-12-2003, 12:37 PM   #194
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

I have updated the list on the first page (first post.) I put mileage in for whoever I could find it for. It took a lot of time and I didn't have data for everybody; I made a few guesses, but if the number I've got for you is way off, feel free to PM me and I'll update it.

In the meanwhile, I have another idea for those whou would like to see a table of miles. (I really don't know if you hobbits and elves really want this or not.) Anyway, what I could do is create a new user account (for instance, WalkToRivendell) and if you are in the walk and want to post your miles, you could PM me and I would send you the password. I would start a new thread with ***ONE*** post (owned by "WalkToRivendell") with the statistics in it, that everybody returns to (using the WalkToRivendell username and password) and edits their miles ***and*** their milestones (remember, this must be Tolkien-related, so exactly where you are on Frodo's journey is critical!).

We would continue this thread for discussion, quotes, and Tolkien-related anecdotes of course. The other thread would only have the table of miles and milestones in it. We would all have to bookmark it because it would not show up on the Active Topics list.

Using a single post to do this the member's milage table would save on bandwidth (which I am sure the Barrow-Wight would appreciate) and everybody could keep their statistics as up-to-date as they want to.
The only danger with that is, sometimes if you cross-post using someone else's user-ID, the previous person's post gets whapped over and disappears. (I've seen posts disappear this way in RPGs. Very unsettling.) If this happens, stay calm, and either patiently re-open the post and re-edit it, or PM me with your data.

Does this sound like a good idea, or would anybody bother? Do we want the motivational factor of having the results on line? Are we willing to work with each other (calmly) enough to use one account and not get annoyed when it gets awkward? Feel free to PM me with suggestions.
Old 04-12-2003, 02:10 PM   #195
LINZIELF
Pile O'Bones

Location: Marching to Mordor - 590.5 miles-in the Barren Hills
LINZIELF has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Made it past Stock and didn't visit Golden Perch much to disgust of travelling companion. Back walking Barrowdowns tomorrow and will be able to see Blackriders coming in enough time to hide. Feel I will wear elven cloak cos think unseasonal sunny weather is not going to last, will drink my pale golden elven liquid but will not sing quite so louldly as the hobbits in case i frighten the sheep.Will hopefully make it to the Bucklebury Ferry by monday but will run for it with my shoes on!
Quote:
Legolas Greenleaf long under tree
In joy thou hast lived. Beware of the sea!
If thou hearest the cry of the gull on the shore,
Thy heart shall then rest in the forest no more.
Good job he didn't live in Poole cos he'd never get away from the cry of the gulls or the sound of the sea!

[ April 12, 2003: Message edited by: LINZIELF ]
Old 04-12-2003, 03:25 PM   #196
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

Whats a Pedometer? I think I can guess, but how does it work? And how much are they?

donlammenion and I do quite a bit of walking when hes down, so we could do this.
Old 04-12-2003, 04:12 PM   #197
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A pedometer measures how many steps you take, it measures one step when you jog it up and down. The cheapest I could find in my local town was £10 though you could probably do better.
Old 04-12-2003, 04:30 PM   #198
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

dragoneyes, i love your avatar. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Well, Aleia acquired a friend on one of today's miles. She met a large dog and walked with it for a mile. It went off on its merry way after a bit, though. Four today! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 04:22 AM   #199
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Findorfin, welcome to the Road to Rivendell! We try to stay Tolkien-focused, or at least hobbit-and-elf focused. There are plenty of tools and themes avaiable to help us along in that direction.

There's a link about pedometers on this thread. I can move it to the firt post so it will be more accessable. But you don't necesarily need one; Frodo didn't have one! You can estimate based on time, or drive the route or use your local maps; there's lots of options. (That said, my ilttle blue gadget cost ten bucks at Walmart, but I'd recommend getting a better one at a sports shop.)

The important thing is to get out and start "tramping" (as Frodo would say.) Enjoy, and welcome to the road!

--mark12_30
Old 04-13-2003, 12:01 PM   #200
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

*stumbles into the thread with a loud groan*

Still in Bywater. Only 8.75 miles! I managed to make another mile while waiting outside the doctor's office: walking back and forth. Now, hopefully, I'll be able to continue going to Rivendell, whether I walk or bike (aka riding my Shire-pony [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]).

Name... name... Well, if I were an Elf I'd be Nurumaiel, but I'm a Hobbit, so I'd better be Robin Brandybuck.

=========
The Green Dragon, Bywater, 22 Astron
We haven't even left Bywater yet. Desolating, really, to still be here. Nobody looks forward to walking, because we have to stay on the road. The wilderness has no landmarks (aka pedometers) to tell how many miles we've gone (still desperately searching the stores). Sometimes we walk, sometimes we ride. Gil-Galad is mostly used as our pack pony so we just lead him along behind us, though I did ride him once. Now to pack up and continue to Rivendell! Home is behind, the world ahead...