The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2003, 01:35 PM   #201
Firondoiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Firondoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm having trouble! I'm sick and so I've only walked three and 1/2 miles my 2nd. week so far! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I wonder if the hobbits ever got sick when they were walking to Rivendell. Not counting when Frodo got stabbed at Weathertop.

[ April 13, 2003: Message edited by: Firondoiel ]
"Forth, and fear no darkness. Arise. Arise, Riders of Théoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered. A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"
Firondoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 08:38 PM   #202
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have 8 miles done! I don't know where I am at though. [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]

I can't wait till tomorrow!! Hitting the Mall again - it is almost 2 miles around the perimeter. Plus Walking fromw my car to the entrance and back - and then any shopping that I do!!

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 09:47 PM   #203
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Oooo! You bad girl! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

It's good to see you again! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2003, 03:28 AM   #204
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Frodo, Grip, and Fang had a full weekend. Grip and Fang hardly wanted to get out of bed this morning, and went straight back to bed at their first opportunity. Good thing they get a rest today.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:08 PM   #205
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Didn't walk much this weekend. I'm in process of selling my hobbit-hole (hopefully to Sackville-Baggins'). In between trimming the verge and moving some boxes to a storage facility, I only racked up a few miles. Still wandering through Green Hill country. Might be here awhile. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

'If you don't come back, sir, then I shan't, that's certain,' said Sam. 'Don't you leave him!' they said to me. 'Leave him!' I said. 'I never mean to. I am going with him, if he climbs to the moon, and if any of those Black Riders try to stop him, they'll have Sam Gamgee to reckon with,' I said. They laughed."
Old 04-14-2003, 07:10 PM   #206
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Sting

I have 3 more miles done today - that makes 11 so far.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Old 04-14-2003, 07:30 PM   #207
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Attagirl, Joy! put it into the "From:" part of your profile.

Alatariel, that was a great post. I keep rereading it trying to decide whether or not you are really seeling your house or just getting into the "departure" theme!!

[ April 14, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 04-14-2003, 07:58 PM   #208
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Well, this little elf could use dinner a bath and a massage when she gets to Rivendell. There were far too few Inns along the road.

[ April 14, 2003: Message edited by: Raefindel ]
Old 04-14-2003, 08:06 PM   #209
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Rivendell!?!? I'm just focused on getting past Old Man Willow, to Bombadil's place. Goldberry can sing to her herat's content and mine, and I'll take that hot bath, please. Here's to tubs of lilies.

Hey Derry dol... Hop along, my hearties!
Old 04-14-2003, 10:16 PM   #210
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Awww, gee! do I haveta? Can't I skip that part?

*Rae throws pebbles into the Baranduin & kicks at the dock *

Derry-Dol indeed! The annoying FOP! I don't even like YELLOW!

[ April 15, 2003: Message edited by: Raefindel ]
Old 04-14-2003, 11:59 PM   #211
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Sting

At 11 miles, Have I even made it to Crikkethollow?? I hope to get 3 more tomorrow.

Old 04-15-2003, 06:18 AM   #212
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Joy, the Barrow-Wight has provided an easy way to check, here; I've also linked to some maps-- middle of first page of this thread-- and you can get an idea from those. For eleven miles, there are still seven miles to go, to get to Frodo's first campsite-- those hobbits put some miles on that first night. They averaged seventeen and a half miles a day! Fortunately we are not trying to do this in just one month!

Hang in there; lots of walkers have been waylaid by weather and other obstacles, so you are not the only one fighting to get to that campsite. You'll do fine. One furry foot in front of th' other...

[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Love ya!

Rae, you kill me. Bombadil used to annoy me, too, and Goldberry-- til I realised what an impact they had on Frodo. Now when I reread it, it's one of the most fascinating parts of the whole epic.

[ April 15, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 04-15-2003, 11:25 AM   #213
Schmendrick
Wight

Schmendrick has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I am progressing slowly, but steadily! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Now it seems that spring has finally come here in Green Hill Country and I can start making longer walks...

Just today I also (finally) started reading "Unfinished Tales" and I loved the first story, about Tuor!He seems like such an interesting character...and the story was very "biblical" in many ways. Very impressive!
Well, just wanted to share that with someone, really! Anyone else a "Tuor-fan" here? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2003, 12:28 PM   #214
Tarvasa
Pile O'Bones

Tarvasa has just left Hobbiton.
Question

I was chased by a black rider last night ( a pug) it kept hissing at me, yeesh! Luckily some elves scared him off (his owners, lol).
Tarvasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 12:35 PM   #215
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Sting

I love Tuor also - My liking of him improved greatly after reading UT. And yes, it does almost seem Biblical - like Abraham on his journey from Ur.

Haven't got my walking done yet today - have dr appointment. Will get to the mall after that - plan two laps around today. That will be almost 6 miles today. I can do this!!

Old 04-15-2003, 01:42 PM   #216
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Tarvasa, I seem to encounter the same two black riders every day. I see one at the second house on the left, and another at the third. There's a big fluffy one with a sagacious nose and lousy vision (almost blind! And sniffing!) He comes right out and does his "black rider's cry" all along his yard. He's got weapons but never uses them, just wails a lot.

Then there's another sleek black one that snarls and jumps and races along as we pass by. He's got a wraith-fence. Good thing. That one I think would use the weaponry.

Oh, and how could I forget the loud scruffy one that lives right next door? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] Good thing he's got an elf-rope on him...

One other thing; not that I'm trying to be pushy, or bossy, or manipulative (YUCK! Shoot me if I do!) However, I also don't want anybody to feel that they've been forgotten-- you're not. There are some folks who I haven't heard from since you signed up, and I don't want you to feel left out or give up. Others have been chatty enough [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] but haven't been posting your totals. If you don't want to post your totals that's perfectly OK-- let me know & I'll quit bugging you! But if you do, I'd love to see them. Personally, it encourages me a great deal to see everybody's progress. You may have noticed that I updated the list in the first post again-- I like to see people's progress, be it ever so modest! So don't be shy. Remember to keep your post Tolkien-related, and tell us where you are... Hobbiton? Bywater? Green Hill Country? Woody End? Ithilien already? (ooops, that's another challenge...) Let us know. I don't want anybody lost in the shuffle.

So-- are you still out there? Still walking? Drop me a line, or post here, and please don't be shy about putting your mileage into your "From: " part of your profile.

[ May 09, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 04-15-2003, 03:12 PM   #217
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

I have reached Crickhollow and am enjoying my dinner and bath.

*Rae joins hobbits in hobbit-bath song*

I don't happen to know any elven-bath songs. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2003, 03:39 PM   #218
Firondoiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Yahoo! I'm better now and have reached the Green Hill Country. Thank you mark12_30 for PM me. I really appreciated that! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
"Forth, and fear no darkness. Arise. Arise, Riders of Théoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered. A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"
Old 04-15-2003, 04:19 PM   #219
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

I'm glad you're feeling better. I was thinking of you.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:46 PM   #220
Sindafalathiel
Haunting Spirit

Sindafalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sindafalathiel
Sting

I feel so slow...I've only made 8 miles. Unfortunately, I think it's because it's rarely warm enough to walk barefoot as I am prone to do. As I was walking with a friend yesterday, we were followed by a black rider, with two more keeping us from going anywhere but forwards. They all kept hissing at us, and although we tried to outrun them, they did not let up until we were witin a few blocks of the nearest inn.
"My Legions of Terror will be an equal-opportunity employer. Conversely, when it is prophesied that no man can defeat me, I will keep in mind the increasing number of non-traditional gender roles." ~The Evil Overlord List
Sindafalathiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 05:36 PM   #221
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was a little too hobbit-like for my liking yesterday. I had breakfast around about 8, then a little more at 9,then some more at 9:30, and it went on like that until I went to my friends at midday. At my friends we had dinner and then snacks until we had to go home at 7. I walked off all my food on the way home so that when I got there I had plenty of room for more!
Old 04-15-2003, 06:22 PM   #222
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Sting

I got 3 miles down today. That leaves me still in Bywater though. I have 14 total in a week and a half.

Old 04-15-2003, 07:57 PM   #223
Faenaduial
Wight

Faenaduial has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Unfortunately I didn't get any hiking in this weekend as I normally would. This elf was working at a dance studio both days. (At least we elves love to dance!)

Maybe while we are recording our travels we can share some thoughts on Frodo & friend's adventures. What is your favorite scarey moment during the trip from Bag End to Rivendell?

The first time I read of Frodo and Sam's first encounter the Black Rider on the road on the way to Crickhollow it gave me the chills. At that point I knew so little about the Black Riders that my imagination just ran wild.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:12 PM   #224
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

I think that was my favorite one too, Faenaduial . And as for your dancing, I see no reason you can't dance your way to Rivendell. Hey, whatever gets you there and floats your boat (or twinkles your toes), right?
Old 04-15-2003, 09:34 PM   #225
Tarvasa
Pile O'Bones

Tarvasa has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

oooo, I lost track of my miles!!! Let me think here a minute....27! Need to update it. I have some great news from my parents. this summer we are staying at my uncle's girlfriend's parent's cabin in the woods, lol. It will be all nice and hobbitish, since I live in the city and my evening walks aren't like walking through the shire. it even has a creek!
Tarvasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 09:43 PM   #226
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I have finally come to Woody End and the second campsite. I have talked much with Gildor and his company, and I have asked their advice on the best way to get to Rivendell. Alas, they told me to go whichever way my heart was lead. I should have known better than to go to Elves for council. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
Sam could never describe in words, nor picture clearly to himself, what he felt or thought that night, though it remained in his memory as one of the chief events of his life. 'Well, sir, if I could grow apples like that, I would call myself a gardener. But it was the singing that went to my heart, if you know what I mean.'
Old 04-15-2003, 09:48 PM   #227
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Silmaril

Still wandering in Green Hill country. Maybe I'll make it to Crickhollow by the end of next week. Since it's so late by the time I get home in the evenings, I still haven't been walking outside, only on the treadmill. I alternate between watching my favorite movie (FotR) again, and listening to the audio cd's of The Silmarillion. Black Riders have tried to come up on my porch, but Worf (my Klingon schnauser) manages to chase them off.

Helen: Yes, I actually am trying to sell my hobbit-hole. It's only been on the market for 10 days, but I'm ready to move now.

Quote:
Rivendell!?!? I'm just focused on getting past Old Man Willow, to Bombadil's place. Goldberry can sing to her heart's content and mine, and I'll take that hot bath, please. Here's to tubs of lilies.
I'll settle for the hot bath in Crickhollow right now.
Old 04-16-2003, 03:19 AM   #228
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Five days of sightseeing around the Eternal City IRL has really taken my mileage forward...I suppose Rome could be Gondor/Osgiliath but that would really be a bit precipitate at this stage...anyway my young hobbits have eschewed the best beer in East Farthing but instead taken a good swig of elven draught with their lunch, and are now approaching the Buckland Ferry. Can't wait to meet Merry, he always was my favourite hobbit...
Old 04-16-2003, 07:23 AM   #229
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
It was such a beautiful day today, I couldn't help but go barefoot. I made a good four miles, across fields mostly and my dislike for the farmer who owns those fields has increased considerably. He keeps plowing up the public footpath across his land and that would be fine if I were wearing shoes, but I wasn't. I don't know how hobbits dealt with stinging nettles either, though their skin was probably too thick to be bothered with them.
Old 04-16-2003, 11:06 AM   #230
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hi Helen, just wanted to let you know I'm still walking. And no I haven't been waylaid by blackriders, just challanged to stay off BD and not read any Tolkien for 2 weeks. Almost made it, Sigh.....
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 04:17 PM   #231
red
Spirit of Mischief

red has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I just started two days ago. I put in two 3.5 mile jogs so far. I usually run every other day. *does the math...* Hmmm... at this pace I won't make it to Rivendell by RotK. But as I train, I'm sure to increase my mileage. I used to do 8 miles every other day. That should do it! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2003, 05:06 PM   #232
Vardamar
Haunting Spirit

Vardamar has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Well, I had walked all the way the Ferry, when I realized that I had left my walking stick over at Farmer Maggot. So back I went. When I came to the field, I couldn’t find it, so I went over and knocked on the good farmers door. When it opened I smelled all kinds of wonderful foods, Mrs Maggot had been very busy. Anyway, he invited me to dinner, and said he would pay me sixty gold pieces if I would do some landscaping. I agreed. Well I am done with the landscaping, and am now at 71 miles. I can already see Crickhollow, only 2 miles to go!
Old 04-16-2003, 06:09 PM   #233
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Sting

Can't walk today - I feel sick. I have a fever and a bad headache. Hope I will be better tomorrow.

Old 04-18-2003, 05:47 PM   #234
Firondoiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
I'm glad you're feeling better. I was thinking of you.
Thank you Raefindel. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
Can't walk today - I feel sick. I have a fever and a bad headache. Hope I will be better tomorrow.
I know what you're going through. I was sick a few days ago. I hope you're better soon.
Old 04-18-2003, 06:38 PM   #235
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Don't worry, It's not a race, You'll all get there!
Old 04-18-2003, 08:52 PM   #236
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Silmaril

Hey, does an hour-and-a-half dance class count? How 'bout chasing my seven-year-old brother? If it doesn't, I may scream.
I enlisted my sister. Together, we've covered about 14 miles each. Wish us luck!
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 11:58 PM   #237
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I am a slow hobbit... my upcoming finals at the shire college have left me little time for walking like I would like.
I will make it out of the Shire eventually... keep a place at the table for me in Rivendell [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I must say, though, that this is actually great motivation for me. It's sad that I had to LOTR theme my workouts in order to give me more motivation. When in doubt, look to the power of the ring!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 04:06 AM   #238
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

To Rivendell, where Elves yet dwell...
Lyra is making good progress largely because she climbed up (and down)a real, honest to goodness MOUNTAIN!
I doubt if it has a patch on the Misty Mountains but still...

I'm still in Green Hill country, but nearly to Crickhollow. What I wouldn't give for a bath! I'd make my water go up like a fountain, just like Pippin. Aah, I can almost imagine the bubbles...
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 09:25 AM   #239
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

Quote:
Getting depressed. I don't think I'll ever make it out of Green Hill country.Z
Aaagghh!!! What happened to the rest of my post. I can't remember now what I wrote, but I know it was longer that this. I had a quote from the book too. I think it was this:

Farewell we call to hearth and hall!
Though wind may blow and rain may fall,
We must away ere break of day
Far over wood and mountain tall.

To Rivendell, where Elves yet dwell
In glades beneath the misty fell,
Through moor and waste we ride in haste,
And whither then we cannot tell.

With foes ahead, behind us dread,
Beneath the sky shall be our bed,
Until at last our toil be passed,
Our journey done, our errand sped.

We must away! We must away!
We ride before the break of day!
Old 04-19-2003, 09:27 AM   #240
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

Quote:
Getting depressed. I don't think I'll ever make it out of Green Hill country.Z
Aaagghh!!! What happened to the rest of my post. I can't remember now what I wrote, but I know it was longer that this. I had a quote from the book too. I think it was this:

Farewell we call to hearth and hall!Though wind may blow and rain may fall,
We must away ere break of day
Far over wood and mountain tall.

To Rivendell, where Elves yet dwell
In glades beneath the misty fell,
Through moor and waste we ride in haste,
And whither then we cannot tell.

With foes ahead, behind us dread,
Beneath the sky shall be our bed,
Until at last our toil be passed,
Our journey done, our errand sped.

We must away! We must away!