The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2003, 07:38 PM   #321
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

I'm not sure whether one is supposed to rest in the Chetwood forests, but I did today. And my partner emailed with regrets for tomorrow AM... so it's exploration day. Guess I'll go exploring with m'dawgs! Hmmm, where in Chetwood shall I go...?

THinking of you, Rae. My dad is flying out to Seattle to see my aunt. I was planning on going, but we have ameeting to go to that is important, and my hubbie does NOT want me to risk missing it. So it doesn't look like I'll go. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Bummer.

[ May 04, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 05-04-2003, 07:45 PM   #322
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Ahhhhh...that hot bath was wonderful, Merry!! Well, I've had more of a rest here at Crickhollow than Frodo & company, but now I'm ready to journey on to the Old Forest. No more hot baths till I get to Tom's house.

--------------------

Sing hey! for the bath at close of day
that washes the weary mud away!
A loon is he that will not sing:
O! Water Hot is a noble thing!

O! Sweet is the sound of falling rain,
and the brook that leaps from hill to plain;
but better than rain or rippling streams
is Water Hot that smokes and steams.

O! Water cold we may pour at need
down a thirsty throat and be glad indeed;
but better is Beer, if drink we lack,
and Water Hot poured down the back.

O! Water is fair that leaps on high
in a fountain white beneath the sky;
but never did fountain sound so sweet
as splashing Hot Water with my feet!
Old 05-05-2003, 10:16 AM   #323
Schmendrick
Wight

Schmendrick has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I“have been so busy with my studies lately that I don't know if I should switch to the Fatty Bolger Challenge! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
But no, not really - I'm not ready to give up just yet, even if I am WAY behind my schedule...
Today it was a wonderful weather here and I walked in the forest (careful to avoid black riders and other evil creatures, though) and on the fields. The birds were singing and I even saw a bunny! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
And I have to agree, Sophie: it is MUCH more agreeable to walk in the nature...but I guess it would be even more agreeable with a nice hobbit-companion (sigh)!
Anyway, I'm not far away from the Bucklebury Ferry anymore! Actually, I guess I am at farmer Maggot's...(" It was five miles or more from Maggot's lane to the ferry...")? Mushrooms and bacon!YAY! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-05-2003, 10:22 AM   #324
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynė

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

Quote:
And I have to agree, Sophie: it is MUCH more agreeable to walk in the nature...but I guess it would be even more agreeable with a nice hobbit-companion (sigh)!
it really is, but the good news is that with me gone from home and my distracting friends all summer I'll be able to have more than enough time to do my walking in the black asphalt country. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I have, btw progressed as far as the Woody End... not much of an improvement, as the country looks about the same, but [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] any progress is progress right?

*mumbles under her breath* why didn't I just wait for Walk to the Kitchen? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 10:28 AM   #325
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ah rainy days and Mondays, in the Barrow Downs. It was a busy weekend and my pedometer stopped working as well. I’ll have to find another among the treasures here!
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 07:37 PM   #326
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I was wondering if marching for marching band would count for such a "Walk"? If so, then I may be at the doorstep of Bag End right now, but by October I will have walked to the Orocarni and back. Ok, so more realistically to the Lonely Mountain and perhaps back to the Elven King's Halls, but hey...
Old 05-05-2003, 08:23 PM   #327
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Anything that can be counted in miles (or kilometers) counts. We have people wearing pedometers at work, dance class, arobics etc.
Even swimming counts (if you can figure out how to measure your miles.) So get your pedometer and go to town! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-05-2003, 09:41 PM   #328
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Silmaril

Wow, the Old Forest has spread right up to the Hedge. It's really kinda creepy. I would have made it to the Bonfire Glade today, but a tree dropped a branch right on my foot. Barring any more unforeseen tree attacks, I should be at Tom's house in a couple of weeks. At least I don't have to worry about Black Riders in here. It's a good thing Elves can rest their minds and still keep watch....

--------------------

Merry: "But the Forest is queer. Everything in it is very much more alive, more aware of what is going on, so to speak, than things are in the Shire. And the trees do not like strangers. They watch you. They are usually content merely to watch you, as long as daylight lasts, and don't do much. Occasionally the most unfriendly ones may drop a branch, or stick a root out, or grasp at you with a long trailer. But at night things can be most alarming, or so I am told. I have only once or twice been in here after dark, and then only near the Hedge. I thought all the trees were whispering to each other, passing news and plots along in an unintelligible language; and the branches swayed and groped without any wind. They do say the trees do actually move, and can surround strangers and hem them in."
Old 05-06-2003, 04:35 PM   #329
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

38 miles and 8 more to Woody End! I'll get there in 2 - 4 more days, I think. I feel as though I'm finally catching up. Isn't it wonderful to find how much free time you have? I can't wait to reach Crickhollow. Merry! Are you preparing a nice hot bath and a good, hearty meal?

A mile or two further south they hastily crossed the great road from the Brandywine Bridge; they were now in the Tookland and bending south-eastwards they made for the Green Hill Country. ......When the light of the last farm was far behind, peeping among the trees, Frodo turned and waved a hand in farewell.
Old 05-06-2003, 05:08 PM   #330
LINZIELF
Pile O'Bones

Location: Marching to Mordor - 590.5 miles-in the Barren Hills
LINZIELF has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
This elf is now enjoying the fabled hospitality of Mr Butterbur and looking forward to a restful stay. The beer is of a particularly fine vintage and goes exceptionally well with lembas! I was hoping to find some walking companions staying here but....my hobbit child has given up accompanying me so I am all alone [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Walked the BarrowDowns with no signs of the BarrowWights but did find some of their treasure - a gold cross and chain. Hoping to leave Bree and head off on my way very soon - hopefully taking some supplies of this most excellent beer to keep me company!

It comes in pints? I'll take the lot!
Old 05-06-2003, 10:03 PM   #331
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

The undergrowth in the Forest is so thick, it makes the going really slow. And the humidity in this part of the Forest must be 90%...I feel all sticky & icky. Only 35 more miles to Tom's house. Hey, Goldberry, break out the strawberry bubble bath!

--------------------

There was not as yet any sign of a path, and the trees seemed constantly to bar their way. Pippin suddenly felt that he could not bear it any longer, and without warning let out a shout. "Oi! Oi!" he cried. "I am not going to do anything. Just let me pass through, will you!"
The others halted startled; but the cry fell as if muffled by a heavy curtain. There was no echo or answer though the wood seemed to become more crowded and more watchful than before.
"I should not shout, if I were you," said Merry. "It does more harm than good."
Frodo began to wonder if it were possible to find a way through, and if he had been right to make the others come into this abominable wood. Merry was looking from side to side, and seemed already uncertain which way to go. Pippin noticed it. "It has not taken you long to lose us," he said. But at that moment Merry gave a whistle of relief and pointed ahead.
"Well, well!" he said. "These trees do shift. There is the Bonfire Glade in front of us (or I hope so), but the path to it seems to have moved away!"
Old 05-07-2003, 07:00 AM   #332
Kalel

Sting

IS ti too late to join up? (I know I'm extremely late in asking, but this sounds like much fun, and is a way to get some excercise. And I think I can make up for lost time.)
Old 05-07-2003, 07:56 AM   #333
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Kalel, it is certainly not too late to join. Welcome! You'll do fine. Just divide 458 miles by the number of days left til the RotK premiere and that's how many miles you have to do per day. Sounds like around 2?? Have fun, print out some maps and enjoy the road. Are you a hobbit or an elf (or a dwarf or something else?)

--mark12_30 (a Frodo; I'm sure there are more than one...)
Old 05-07-2003, 11:41 AM   #334
Kalel

Sting

Who knows? Half-elf I think. And it's approximately 2.1 miles a day. I think I can do that...now to get my hands on some equipment. Thanks for the welcome, and I'll do my best!
Old 05-07-2003, 11:50 AM   #335
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Here's another one.....

Welcome, Kalel!

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Two welcomes. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Yes, if you walk 2.1 miles a day, you should be getting there. You should be walking about 14 miles a week.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:56 PM   #336
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

I can see the Bald Hill off in the distance, but it will probably take 4-5 more days before I reach it. I just want a breath of free air...the heat and humidity in here just saps my strength. I could really use one of Merry's ponies right now.

--------------------

But after a while the air began to get hot and stuffy. The trees drew close again on either side, and they could no longer see far ahead. Now stronger than ever they felt again the ill will of the wood pressing on them. So silent was it that the fall of their ponies' hoofs, rustling on dead leaves and occasionally stumbling on hidden roots, seemed to thud in their ears.
Old 05-08-2003, 02:33 PM   #337
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Alatįriėl,

I so love your posts. What a breath of fresh Middle-Earth air!

And Nurumaiel, I'm not sure what to say, but thanks. We should talk about Frodo sometime. It's nice to find the other Frodo-addicts, lurking... If you ever get the chance to read Bolco's Return to the Shire, let me know what you think. I've been looking for Frodo-experts to read it and critique it.

...I guess that just turned into an open invitation. Okay! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I'm up for it.

Tomorrow is supposed to be a fine day (today is drizzly) so I look to make some good distance tomorrow. I am constantly amazed that four little hobbits did far more distance "carrying their homes on their backs."

Midgewater marshes are looming (stinking? buzzing??) ahead.
Old 05-08-2003, 03:19 PM   #338
Kalel

Sting

Yeah! I just came back from my bike ride (my self-propelled method for the day). I managed to get about 5 or 6 miles! And I dragged two other friends into it...very fun. This is great! Two more days of this, and I'll be at the first milestone! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-08-2003, 09:52 PM   #339
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

Dang...that Bald Hill doesn't seem any closer today than it did yesterday! If anyone ahead of me happens to see Tom, tell him to send Fatty Lumpkin thisaway. I need a ride!!

Quote:
I so love your posts. What a breath of fresh Middle-Earth air!
Helen: Thank you...what a nice thing to say!

--------------------
Just behind them a large branch fell from an old overhanging tree with a crash into the path. The trees seemed to close in before them...
He (Merry) spoke cheerfully, and if he felt any great anxiety, he did not show it. The others did not answer. They were depressed. A heavy weight was settling steadily on Frodo's heart, and he regretted now with every step forward that he had ever thought of challenging the menace of the trees. He was, indeed, just about to stop and propose going back (if that was still possible), when things took a new turn. The path stopped climbing, and became for a while nearly level. The dark trees drew aside, and ahead they could see the path going almost straight forward. Before them, but some distance off, there stood a green hill-top, treeless, rising like a bald head out of the encircling wood. The path seemed to be making directly for it.
Old 05-08-2003, 11:24 PM   #340
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

peony_foxburr has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peony_foxburr
Sting

Betcha didn't know hobbits could get blisters on their toes. It must have been walking on a couple of rainy days that irritated her feet. Well, she's now at Tom Bombadil's place, according to the Barrow Downs mileage guide, so perhaps soaking her feet will help.

BTW, Peony has always had a major crush on Frodo, so when her alter ego gets back to her unlimited hours high speed Internet connection in Massachusetts, she will enjoy reading the Bolco Took stories in their entirety [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].(Just skimmed the first couple of chapters of BOlco in Massachusetts)
"And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water."
-The Return of the King
peony_foxburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 08:25 AM   #341
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My little hobbitlass and I have finally made our way into the Old Forest and to the Bonfire Glade. I have always been intrigued by the story of the Bonfire Glade. Just think...trees were attacking the hedge! I hope the trees in my yard don't any funny ideas.

They do say the trees do actually move, and can surround strangers and hem them in. In fact long ago they attacked the Hedge: they came and planted themselves right by it, and leaned over it. But the hobbits came and cut down hundreds of trees, and made a great bonfire in the Forest, and burned all the ground in a long strip east of the Hedge. After that the trees gave up the attack, but they became very unfriendly. There is still a wide bare space not far inside where the bonfire was made.'
Old 05-09-2003, 01:06 PM   #342
Ilsanie

Pipe

Hey! I just started this like last night...umm at 10 o'clock at night... I calculated my stride so that during school I can get an estimate of about how much I've walked.. I just got back home and ...wow! I've walked just over 1/2 a mile...lol i'm going walking later few miles of soo... but hey i got a start...484.48 miles left..lol [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] lol well I can't wait till I DO finnish the whole trip... well I got to do some homework and then walk.walk.walk...hehe [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Ilsanie
Good Luck to every one
Aure entuluva!
Old 05-09-2003, 07:59 PM   #343
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Linzielf are you still in Bree? I have a feeling that you have started out by now. If so I believe I’m at your heels! How was your trip through the Barrow Downs? Sufficiently Misty? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

And hello Kalel, welcome to our company, rather scattered as we are in Eriador. Hope you enjoy the trip!

What about the Walk to Mt. Doom? I’m undecided and was wondering how we all felt about it? Would we really try to get there all in one year? Ack! How many miles is it really? Has anyone figured it out? So many questions....
Old 05-10-2003, 01:13 PM   #344
Naz
Shade of Carn Dūm

Naz has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This sounds really interesting! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I want to start... But when I said to my dad "We're only allowed to walk on the street, though!" (we live on a dead end street), he laughed at me & said, "Well then, you better get started!"

Well, we do run around a field for "warm up" in gym, and before that we walk around the gym... Wonder if that'll help any. I really, REALLY want to try.

Maybe I'll take lembas, too. (the graham crackers in leaves suggestion) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

~Naz (yes... I'm a newbie...)
Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 03:15 PM   #345
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Welcome to the Downs Naz! It’s suprising sometimes the places were you can fit a walk in. I manage two miles in the parking lot at work at lunch! Yes, it is a rather large parking lot. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-10-2003, 03:33 PM   #346
LINZIELF
Pile O'Bones

1420!

Hilde Bracegirdle,I've left Bree now and am making my lonely way ever onwards... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
There wasn't any mist on the Barrow Downs -in fact it was the hottest day of the year so far, hardly the right atmosphere I required! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
I'm up for walking to Mount Doom - anything a hobbit can do - elves can and will do better!
I am now making my way to the Midgewater Marshes and hoping that as an elf I will not be eaten alive! "What do they live on when they can't get hobbit?" [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-10-2003, 03:57 PM   #347
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Ooo, I think Helen and Linzielf both have wings on there feet! Keep up the good work! Now I wonder were Raefindel has got to.
Old 05-10-2003, 06:41 PM   #348
Kalel

Sting

Mount Doom sounds like fun. I'm currently in Bywater....with a loooong way to go. Total distance: 7.82 miles in 2 days...sheesh, more walking to get to Mount Doom. Here we go...and a little trail song for all of us, from my book "Nine Heroes":

"Pack up you gear,
Dawn is broke.
Though tired you may be,
It's time you awoke.
It's time to travel,
Once again.

The day is new,
The sun is shining. We cannot spend more time abiding here.
We must move on,
And travel far,
All across the land.

So, my friends,
Shall we go?
See what wonders
We will find?
Let's try the trade
Of travelling.

Tonight we'll find a place to stay,
An inn maybe!
We'll have our fill of atmosphere.
And when we awaken,
We'll travel on,
As far as we can go.

And I'll be singing this song.
And I'll be singing this song."

Happy trails!
Old 05-10-2003, 08:32 PM   #349
Ilsanie

Thumbs up

I love [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]the idea of walking all the way to Mt. Doom althought that is VERY [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] far from where I am... I just reached Bywater... I wish i wasn't stuck inside my house all day working on this stupid project for history class... but once i'm finnished I'm taking my only walking compainon Kirby,my dog, and setting off to walk a few miles... I MUST get off my lazy butt... Well back to that project.... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Ilsanie
Old 05-10-2003, 09:05 PM   #350
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Hi Hilde, thanks for thinking of me. I had a grueling 2 weeks at work and it kept me off the Downs. The good news is I continued to walk despite the long hours. I feel like I've already been to Weathertop and been stabbed by the Black Riders.

Helen, I'm sorry you couldn't come again. I missed Peony while she was here (well, actually she won't leave till Monday) Peony I hope to meet you next time you come.

Safe Journeys to you all!
Old 05-11-2003, 01:22 AM   #351
Tira O Alata

Ring

Hiiiii everyone!! lol it's 3:017 am soo escuse me if I sound nutts...well I am nutts but thats besides the point. Anyway I am a new member and I am totally lost lol! But I love LotR why else would I be here? lol I am really interested in doing this walk which my friend, Ilsanie, told me about. I am not exactly sure on how I am going to recored how much I walk but I will find a way! hehe Wish me luck everyone and i hope i can do this! Well that's all I can think of this early in the morning! lol [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] c-ya!
Old 05-11-2003, 11:03 AM   #352
Kalel

Sting

grrr.....was supposed to go walking or niking with a friend...but cursed gods, did it have to rain?! Oh well...I'll brave the damp and the dark anyways. Grabbing my walking stick, off I go. Around the block. [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] It'll do. I'm off, see you all!
Old 05-11-2003, 12:39 PM   #353
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

peony_foxburr has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peony_foxburr
Sting

Peony's blisters are better, so she did a short (3.5 mi)walk yesterday. Took a ride southwards to try to see Mt St Helens, but there was so much cloud cover that we turned back about halfway. Who knew what was lurking in that fog---Barrow Wights or worse... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].
It will soon be time to find the Eagles and get a lift back to more familiar territory. I'll have walking companions there, at least
--hobbits on 4 legs, as it were. (Hmm, we'll have to visit the name generator to give them proper names)
Raefindel will get another chance soon--my sib & I have decided the Gaffer & Gammer need (and deserve) frequent visits!
"And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water."
-The Return of the King
peony_foxburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 01:42 PM   #354
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Around here Barrow wights are good things!

I passed 100 and I'm so happy now. Yay!
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 01:48 PM   #355
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Lyra, looks like we're neck and neck at the moment. I did 7.5 miles walking round a theme park today - not much around that was terribly Middle-Earth but there you go. I went on a dragon rollercoaster so I suppose that was something.
Incidently, there seems to be a discrepancy between the milometer at the Barrowdowns and the one on the Eowyn Challenge website. According to the former I've not yet reached Old Man Willow, but according to the latter I've bid farewell to Tom Bombadil and am heading towards the Barrow Downs...
Old 05-11-2003, 02:49 PM   #356
LINZIELF
Pile O'Bones

1420!

How did the Hobbits manage 18 miles in one day? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] This elf managed 17 and ran out of time (and enthusiasm) for any more miles!!
Have reached the Edge of the Midgewater Marshes, no more midges or Neekerbreekers thankfully and now on my way to Weatherhill keeping an eye out for those Black Riders. Still can't manage to persuade the Hobbit child to come walking with me (she's muttering something about important GCSE exams!) so will be walking alone again. Elves are never truly alone and I shall sing to keep me going. [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]

PS do you know that pedometers can't swim? mine fell into the marshes and has died - even my Elvish knowledge was unable to give it life again! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-11-2003, 08:19 PM   #357
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

Well, that Bald Hill is definitely looking closer today! Still hoping to make it to Tom's by next weekend. I could reallllly use that hot bath...

Quote:
I'm going to mutter something unofficial about a Walk To Mount Doom. I'll probably call it something different...? Something a little more appealing? The Ring Quest, or, I dunno. But I do imagine that there will be a few (perhaps more than a few) who do want to keep going.
Quote:
What about the Walk to Mt. Doom? I’m undecided and was wondering how we all felt about it? Would we really try to get there all in one year? Ack! How many miles is it really? Has anyone figured it out? So many questions....
Well, if I added the mileage from my Atlas correctly, it's approximately 1,606 miles from Bag End to Mt. Doom. That's a whole lotta walkin'...shouldn't be a problem for Helen, Linzielf and some others. I'm not sure I can make it by December 17, but I'll give it my best shot. After all, Elves should be able to outwalk Hobbits, right? right? Well, maybe not outwalk, but at least keep up?? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

--------------------

They now hurried forward again, delighted with the thought of climbing out for a while above the roof of the Forest. The path dipped, and then again began to climb upwards, leading them at last to the foot of the steep hillside. There it left the trees and faded into the turf. The wood stood all round the hill like thick hair that ended sharply in a circle round a shaven crown.
Old 05-11-2003, 09:23 PM   #358
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Wow, walking to Mt. Doom! And I thought what we're doing now was an accomplishment. I'm sure, Alatįriėl, we would have longer than Dec. 17 (I would hope), but when the time comes, you can count on my being a part of the fellowship that leaves Rivendell.
Old 05-12-2003, 08:39 AM   #359
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Sting

Fifty-six miles now.

My other sister is starting to walk with us now. Argh. Durlossiel is okay, for a sister, I mean, but this one, well, let's just say that she is very annoying. Oh, well. This too shall pass.
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 08:42 AM   #360
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Wow, Alatįriėl it was cool of you to figure up that mileage. If anyone is serious about a walk to Mt Doom we would have to make an extended date for it. Didn;t the Ringquest end on Mar 25th? How does that sound to everyone?

18 miles a day sounds like a lot,LINZIELF, until you consider the Hobbits didn't go to work or school while walking.