The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2003, 10:46 PM   #361
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Thumbs up

OOOOH. Very cool.
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 08:10 PM   #362
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Ring

A little something to add;
A map entitled "Journey of the One Ring" which was produced by NewLine Cinema but was printed in the local newspaper. Basically it shows part of Middle Earth (from Hobbiton in the Shire to as far southeast as the Mountains of Mordor. Small lines are drawn to show the journeys of the Fellowship throughout LOTR. It's kinda cool, so I thought, "why not keep it?"
Old 12-16-2003, 08:19 PM   #363
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Quote:
The other two covers I saw were of Gandalf and Aragorn--I didn't see the fourth (each cover says 1 of 4)--but I sadly doubt the fourth was of my Sam. Grrrr.
Samwise,

You're right. The fourth cover was Gollum! (I purchased the one with Aragorn, since they didn't have Frodo in the store.)

But I wouldn't worry about Samwise. The buzz is that he comes off as the real hero of the movie, and that his acting is so good that some of the critics are saying he deserves an Oscar...

Child
Old 12-16-2003, 10:23 PM   #364
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Quote:
Samwise,

You're right. The fourth cover was Gollum! (I purchased the one with Aragorn, since they didn't have Frodo in the store.)
Gollum. Oh, well. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Quote:
But I wouldn't worry about Samwise. The buzz is that he comes off as the real hero of the movie, and that his acting is so good that some of the critics are saying he deserves an Oscar...
You don't say? Dosen't surprise me--he really stood out for me, and I really don't think it was 'cause he was 'my' Sam. He really immersed himself into the role.
An Oscar...Heh, way to go, Sam! Er--Sean...uh...can't really tell the difference, now can you? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

As to my collection, I have some LOTR stickers coming from Ebay, out of which I plan to pick out every Sam/Sam-Frodo pic and use the rest as either "gifts" in birthday cards or as prizes for contests I have on my LOTR Yahoo! site. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 11:27 PM December 16, 2003: Message edited by: Samwise ]
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 12-17-2003, 08:38 PM   #365
Alatáriël Lossëhelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatáriël Lossëhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Miss Lynn, are you MADE of money??? Goodness, the mere DESCRIPTION of your Anduril seems expensive!!!
Samwise: I sure wish I was...but I got a really wonderful "pre-order special" price on Andúril, and it wound up being one of the least expensive in my collection. I'm really glad I ordered it when I did, though. My weapons website now shows 'sold out'.

Helen: Dang! I didn't read your post on "Frodo's Journey" until today. I've been doing all my Christmas shopping & trying to get to Lothlórien for the past week or so. I'll have to go surf ebay when it gets a bit less hectic.

Small update: I bought the RotK soundtrack last week. I really like it. I also bought the "Aragorn with Andúril" poster at Target today. Yesterday, I went to the LotR marathon and won (for a book trivia contest) a postcard book of Hildebrant artwork, and a miniature Frodo gamepiece for a LotR game. Although I didn't win a prize for it, I was the only one able to name all 13 dwarves from 'The Hobbit'. Aaannnddd for being the only one in the theatre who knew (or at least the first one to shout it out) Galdalf's dwarvish name, I received a lovely handmade banner proclaiming me "über geek" and was crowned "queen of the Tolkien geeks" with a golden crown. My non-Tolkien friends and my daughter have been shaking their heads and calling me geeky for quite a while...I now have the crown to prove it!!
[img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-17-2003, 11:25 PM   #366
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Congratulations Miss Lynn (Your Highness?) *bows* You WON a Frodo figure? Go...well, figure. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I wore two peices of my collection to church tonight, my dress and my cloak. I felt very...pretty, to say the least--thank you my two Hobbit-wear designers! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I'm still wearing the dress--I don't get to wear it very often 'cause all three parts (two skirts and the blouse) always need ironing. ;p

Haven't recieved the stickers I ordered yet.
Old 12-19-2003, 08:49 PM   #367
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU to a certain Elf I know who sent me a copy of the ROTK soundtrack!
THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU! ! ! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 9:51 PM December 19, 2003: Message edited by: Samwise ]
Old 12-22-2003, 10:44 PM   #368
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Quote:
As to my collection, I have some LOTR stickers coming from Ebay, out of which I plan to pick out every Sam/Sam-Frodo pic and use the rest as either "gifts" in birthday cards or as prizes for contests I have on my LOTR Yahoo! site.
The stickers arrived today. I was a tad disappointed there wasn't more "Hobbitage", so to speak, but like I said above, they'll be good to stick in birthday cards and the like. They consisted of [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]this was 4 packs of stickers: 6 in each):

Foils:
  • Sauruman
  • Merry and Pippin (with the Fool-of-a-Took grin on his face) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
  • King Theoden in armor
Blue-Bordered stickers:
  • Gimli w/battle axe
  • Pip, looking a bit beaten up (I believe its right before or right after he and Merry escape from the Uruk-Hai)
Brown-Bordered stickers:
  • Aragorn about to skewer something at Helm's Deep
  • Gandalf (still the Grey) getting a nuzzle from Shadowfax
  • Wormtounge (from the looks of the pic turned to give false advice to Theoden)
  • A long-distance shot--I believe of the people of Rohan headed for Helm's Deep
  • Gandalf the White and the freed-from-a-nasty-spell King Theoden in the throne room
  • Sauruman giving orders to the wild men (and I swear one of them looks like Peter Jackson--I know he had some cameos....)
  • Random shot of the wild men (I know they have a "proper" name, but can't think of it.)
  • Gandalf the White in the forest (assumedly upon meeting the Three Hunters)
  • King Theoden looking serious (when did he not?) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
  • Eomer in armor "And what buisness do a man, an Elf, and a Dwarf....?"
  • The three hunters and Gandalf talking with Eomer and his men
  • A shot of Li'l Mr. Wood's hands holding the Ring.
  • A nasty-looking Orc
  • Yet another nasty-looking Orc
  • Frodo captured by Rohan (with that awful look of distress on his face.)
  • Sam and Frodo held by the soldiers of Rohan (darn it, why couldn't the one pic of Sam and Frodo been at a more cheerful moment????)
  • Gandalf (again in the forest, and again right after he reaveals his identity to the 3 hunters)
  • A wild man
  • Gimli at Helm's Deep
    and
  • Saruman looking t'd off or like he's barking orders.
Oh, well. Maybe I'll have better luck next time.
Old 12-24-2003, 04:55 PM   #369
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I seem to resist calling myself a "collector," but after reading some of the posts on this thread, I may have to re-evaluate my status! I don't usually go looking for anything but the books, but after I had re-read the LOTR and discovered I was in love with Pippin and had an almost unhealthy obsession with Frodo, I had to get a representation of them to look at me every day in my living room, on my computer, etc. etc...and so it began! Pippin's tiny Burger King figure with base looks quizzically in my direction from his high vantage point on my computer tower as I type this. The thing that put me over the threshold is my late purchase of Sting with Scabbard. Sure, a great addition to my thrift-store Frodo outfit, I justified it to myself...and I wear my Frodo gear in some part ALL the time! (In fact, my home is so disorganized that I can only find ONE vest, and that only because it is my Frodo vest and was recently worn!) Without further ado, the collection as it stands:
  • 2003 Two Towers Calendar (Gimli looks out thoughtfully over his axe from it as I type)[/*]
  • Random Burger King figures: 2 Pippins, one with base, Frodo, Gandalf, Elrond, Legolas, Saruman, Arwen on Asfaloth, shimmery see thru Galadriel.[/*]
  • Merry and Pippin with Elven Cloaks from FOTR (still in box--can't bring myself to take them out!)[/*]
  • Toy Biz Collectible Frodo figure from FOTR with authentically styled fabric and accessories--this was a gift from my "Elfbopper" friend who teases me about my Frodophilicity--I haven't taken this one out either, and I can't tell if he has the Ring!!! (Anyone know? )[/*]
  • Sting with Scabbard--got it on ebay, and it does not appear to be the official one, but I got it for about 1/3 price of the official one. I'm waiting to see if rust spots appear to determine which method to use to sharpen it! (I'd like to be able to kill orcs with it if I'm going to carry it!). Not sure if it is stainless or carbon steel--if its carbon steel, it will turn slowly blue! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img][/*]
  • Books: several complete and incomplete sets of LOTR, mostly the 1973 Tolkien illustrated covers editions (my favorites!), one near set of the 1960's puzzle covers, FOTR and TTT with Elijah and Orlando on covers, Unfinished Tales HB, Letters, Tolkien Reader, Silmarillion 1979 Ballantine PB 1st ed., 2 copies of the Tolkien illustrated Hobbit, Understanding Tolkien (a 60's quickie I picked up at a thrift store) [/*]
  • custom illustration (somewhat non-canon as the illustrator has never read Tolkien) of Finrod's fight with the werewolf in Morgoth's dungeons.[/*]
  • Movies: EE versions on VHS of FOTR and TTT, my (unfindable!) copy of Ian McKellen hosting Saturday Night Live, probably my favorite of all time (except for the fact that I totally missed Elijah on SNL!)[/*]
I can't think of aught else except my collection of jpegs, but I'm sure there will be more as time goes by!

Oh, and I remember one of you said you had tiny hobbit socks and hobbit pants--it occurs to me that my misfortune to wear high water pants seems to have turned to a natural hobbitwear wardrobe in these later times! (That, and my predilection for wearing white buttondown shirts with vests, which has been the case for years!). All my socks are what I call "Huck Finn socks," since I live in a wood floored home with nails that work their way out and snag every pair of socks I have until they are full of holes!

Sorry to have gone on so long! Hope I was entertaining! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 01:25 AM   #370
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Lyta,

For someone who is "not a collector" it sounds as if you have accumulated a pile of interesting things!

I have been hunting down books by and about Tolkien for a ton of years in garage sales, bookstores, and more recently on e-bay, and have gradually accumulated quite a pile. I have an overflowing bookcase in my dining room. However, I definitely don't have any swords and the only action figures in the house belong to my daughter. But I do collect calendars, old and new, and postcards. Some of my stuff goes back to the late sixties/early seventies. More recently, I'm buying the little Rawcliffe pewter figures one at a time.

Anyways, it's always a challenge to look for something a long time and finally manage to unearth it somewhere for a reasonable price. As you can tell from the tagline under my name, I am definitely partial to "Bilbo's Last Song". The first publication of that poem was actually in a poster from 1974--appropriately enough, the year after Tolkien died. It is a view of the harbor at the Havens with the sea in the distance and the poem overlaid in the center of the page. I found one on e-bay so it's now up in my house along with my other favorite posters.

There's one other purchase I'm making that I am "blaming" on Samwise!
[img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] I always remember how she talked about getting the statue of Sam and Bill the Pony. My local fantasy store had just one left..... So now guess who has a Sam statue on layaway! I figured, if there was one character I wanted to remember from the movies just as he was played, it would be Sam. (I am fascinated by book Frodo, but Elijah Wood's Frodo, although good, just wasn't the same.)

Child
Old 12-25-2003, 09:38 AM   #371
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Ooo, Child, you've got the bug.

Lyta, sounds like you & I would make a good pair. I wear hobbit-clothes all the time. I went to the movie in "regular clothes" (for me) plus a cloak and Lorien brooch; and everyone thought I had "dressed up" as an elf. Lots of compliments.

This is a costume??? I thought it was regular clothes. Since it was winter, I wore long pants and wool socks with the sandals, so they assumed elf instead of hobbit. I forgive 'em.

The folks at work have me pegged. ONe gave me a TTT EE calendar. When I sit at my desk, I'm confronted with angry Frodo, Sting pointing at my throat. (Don't you know your Sam???) And another colleague (in the "Secret Santa exchange") gave me an in-costume Gandalf. Wow.

Our best friends and my husband teamed up to find me LOTR Backgammon (definitely what they play at Edoras) and Trilogy Trivial Pursuit... Amazing. The new TP rules blow my mind.

THe Fellowship marches across my Northeast bookshelf; the Mirkwood longbow rests atop my southwest bookshelf. Three sets of Bookends (okay, I have two Smeagols and not One each Smeagol/Gollum, but the second Smeagol was free...) A mini-Legolas; a Bag-End keychain...

Embarassing quantities of paperback Boxed sets of the Trilogy + Hobbit. Many critical books... maybe someday I'll read them all... (blushes) I'm still missing some of the final HoME series: Sauron Defeated and Peoples of Middle Earth. The rest are all there waiting...

Both Theatrical and extended of FotR and TTT, Rankin-Bass hobbit & RotK, and Bakshi, and a couple other odd shows.

MUSIC: woohoo! All three soundtracks; all three Tolkien Ensemble CDs; Starlit Jewel (pride & joy); Andi Grimsditch; Giuseppe Festa (aka "LinGalad": totally awesome); plus whatever I could download off the net like the Donald Swann stuff and some freebie clips; plus 2 ancient Rankin-Bass LPs that I have to get onto CD somehow. Starlit Jewel Songbook.

Lotsa bookmarks. One Gandalf BK goblet.

BBC LotR on CD; American Hobbit on tape.

Many maps that I downloaded & printed from the net. Must hang them up! Or mount them like Bilbo did... or something.

Costume stuff: Two cloaks, one blue, one brown (must make a green/grey one!) Four cuorderoy and one velvet "Hobbit" jackets; one Bilbo red velvet vest (stil looking for a brown Frodo vest, AND now for a silver RotK "Havens" vest with sea-blue jacket... )

And a GORGEOUS personalized LOTR mug that Rae made for me. You **rule**, babe.

(Blushing: I wonder what I forgot.)

No wonder everyinone thinks I'm nuts. My only consolation/ defense is that my friend's kid has WAY more action figures than I do (He's got all the bad guys too.)

Next question... do I want the United Cutlery Sting or the inexpensive one...?

(sound of straightjacket being prepared)
Old 12-25-2003, 09:40 PM   #372
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Silmaril

Well, I recieved that "Walking with Frodo" book, I let you know if it is any good.

Merry Chirstmas/ Happy Chanukkah, Kwanzaa....(trails off)
Old 12-26-2003, 01:49 PM   #373
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Quote:
There's one other purchase I'm making that I am "blaming" on Samwise!
I always remember how she talked about getting the statue of Sam and Bill the Pony. My local fantasy store had just one left..... So now guess who has a Sam statue on layaway! I figured, if there was one character I wanted to remember from the movies just as he was played, it would be Sam. (I am fascinated by book Frodo, but Elijah Wood's Frodo, although good, just wasn't the same.)

Child
Hm...should I head for the hills, or is that sort of a thankyou? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Are you saying you got Sam and Bill, or just Sam? My Sam and Bill just melted my heart when I saw it at Sideshow Toy's website...I'm afraid my Bill has a little scratch on his "buisness end" from my pushing him a little too far back into the "wood" where they reside, and some of the paint may have come off the top of Sam's head from my...yes, kissing the top of his head. My Frodo is in pristine condition, but he hasn't been "loved" so much.

Yesterday I recieved my "surprise" gift: LOL...an LOTR ROTK 2004 calendar! I think I may have posted it here or in the "LOTR Christmas Presents: Post Here" thread, but (at the risk of repeating myself) my mother, grandmother and I went into a store a few weeks ago, and I chose a calendar that showcased my Sam as much as possible, then proceeded to leave the store so that my mother could buy it "without my seeing!" [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I was surprised, however, pleasantly, because my mother did not buy the little 5x5 calendar we were looking at, but the regular-sized wall version! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-26-2003, 02:58 PM   #374
lord_of_rohan2003
Animated Skeleton

lord_of_rohan2003 has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Well ole St.Nick left me some stuff for my LOTR colection:

A greeen journal book with the tree of Gondor on the front

A book called Myth and Middle Earth

4 Franklin Mint Pocket knives of Frodo,Nazgul,Gandlaf,and Aragorn

A Boromir keychain

Ringwraith coin bank that makes noises when you put in change

And TTT EE with the figure of Gollum

And while it's not related to the books or movies I got a full size Knights helmet,they wouldnt tell me how much it cost but said that they got it at a good price on Ebay,im going to have to check that plase out someday.Anyway I hope everybody had a good Christmas,im off to kick my brothers butt in War of the Monsters!
lord_of_rohan2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 05:32 PM   #375
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Quote:
Hm...should I head for the hills, or is that sort of a thankyou?
Samwise,

Definitely a thank you!

Yes, I ordered Sam with his pony. And the first place I heard about this piece was from you.

I have the top of my piano decorated with figures from LotR and the Hobbit, some from the movie and some much earlier. So Sam and Bill will go right in the center, since it will be the largest piece I have.

That is....if I ever manage to get it out of layaway!
Old 12-26-2003, 05:55 PM   #376
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Aw....I'm glad you got him (nearly). [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] He and Bill are a really beautiful peice. My Frodo's nice, too--but just the wonderful look on Sam's face....I hope you enjoy them.
Old 12-27-2003, 05:52 PM   #377
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Well, I got the LotR Trivial Pursuit Game, so my Updated Collection consists of:

- Books: The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings (Edition 1: three paper back books, FotR has Frodo on the cover, TTT has Legolas, and RotK has Aragorn; Edition 2: Nice, shiny, red leather, expensive collector's edition), Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, The Lost Road and Other Tales, Morgoth's Ring, Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, The Magical Worlds of The Lord of the Rings (David Colbert), Hobbits, Elves, and Wizards (Michael N. Stanton), Tolken's World from A to Z: The Complete Guide to Middle-earth.

- Movies: FotR (Theatrical & Extended), TTT (Theatrical & Extended), numerous recordings of TV specials on LotR or Middle-earth

- Posters: FotR (the Argonath), TTT (Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli), a poster of Smaug, and numerous magazine clippings, newspaper clippings, and other bits of LotR that can go on my wall

- Weapons: Soronnaro (pommel is made up of two eagle heads, back to back, the handle is made of mahogany, and the rest of the hilt is in silver, along with the sword), a bowie knife that looks remarkably like Aragorn's hunting knife

- Jewelry: All the charms from the bookmarks, the Ring of Barahir, Narya (a rather cheap version), and Vilya (another rather cheap version)

- Misc: life-size Aragorn cardboard cut-out, Lord of the Rings Trivial Pursuit Games, all the bookmarks, 2003 TTT Calendar, and a rather pretty collage that I made from the Noble Collection catalog and other magazines, mounted on a cork bulletin board spray-painted gold, a candle-holder made up of intricate vine shapes ending in circular "fruits," in gold
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 07:26 PM   #378
Alatáriël Lossëhelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Silmaril

Quote:
THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU to a certain Elf I know
Samwise: You’re more than welcome…I’m glad you like it. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Quote:
an almost unhealthy obsession with Frodo...The thing that put me over the threshold is my late purchase of Sting with Scabbard.
Lyta: I'm glad I'm not the only one with a Frodo obsession. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] And now that you have Sting, you may find that one sword is not enough... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Quote:
Our best friends and my husband teamed up to find me LOTR Backgammon (definitely what they play at Edoras)
Helen: Ooooh, where did you find LotR backgammon? I don't think I've seen that in the stores.

Quote:
Next question... do I want the United Cutlery Sting or the inexpensive one...?
Helen: Depends on what you want it for...the UC is better quality & is the licensed reproduction, so it's more collectible. I've seen the UC's on ebay for very reasonable prices, too.

Update: I've added a few things, not necessarily for Christmas. I took my grandchildren to see RotK last Saturday, and we went to Half-Price Books afterwards: I found an oversized hardback copy of Ted Nasmith's illustrated "Silmarillion" in pretty good condition. When I got home & looked closer, I discovered it was also a first edition. Also found a first edition of "Book of Lost Tales Part Two". I already had a first edition of BolT Part One that I bought years ago, but haven't been able to find a matching part two till now. They also had a book called "A Reader's Guide to The Silmarillion" by Paul Kocher. I don't know how good it is (never heard of it before), but it was only $4 so I figured, what the heck! As Christmas gifts, I got 3-inch individual action figures of Frodo, Sam & Legolas. I also got 6-inch figures of Aragorn (Pelennor Fields), Sam (orc armor), Frodo (orc armor), Gollum & Smeagol. Since I already have 2 each of Aragorn, Sam & Frodo, I'll be exchanging them for something else LotR-related. I also got the "There and Back Again" set of figures with Bilbo, Merry, Pippin, Sam & Frodo in their Grey Havens outfits, with a miniature copy of the Red Book. Since I only have the one set, I will probably exchange the 3 figures above for a second set to display.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:40 PM   #379
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Quote:
I also got the "There and Back Again" set of figures with Bilbo, Merry, Pippin, Sam & Frodo in their Grey Havens outfits, with a miniature copy of the Red Book.
Oh, Miss Lynn, this sounds wonderful. Is it action figures or....? [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2003, 08:57 PM   #380
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElenCala Isil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Sting

Just popping in.. because I found something that caught my eye..

Quote:
now that you have Sting, you may find that one sword is not enough...
Heh..I just recently bought Sting, and one sword is definitely not enough!
Old 12-28-2003, 03:47 AM   #381
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Update: I've added a few things, not necessarily for Christmas. I took my grandchildren to see RotK last Saturday, and we went to Half-Price Books afterwards: I found an oversized hardback copy of Ted Nasmith's illustrated "Silmarillion" in pretty good condition.
That is one thing I have been wondering about. I have been thinking of increasing my collection of books, and have been thinking of maybe visiting used book stores and places like that, but have been wondering if there is nothing avaliable because of the popularity of the films. I really would like to find some of the older novels, because all of the copies I have are new and I only have one Hardback (actually two now [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] ). But I won one of them. So how avaliable are Tolkien's books?

Oh and just to add... I have actually found myself to be perfectly content with just my Sting. The only thing that I have thought of maybe adding is the white knives of Legolas. It is just that I find the other swords to be way to large for me. Sting I find to be just a perfect size [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2003, 12:26 PM   #382
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Sting

Wow, Samwise, Child and Helen! I think I'm still in the novices league of collectors compared to you guys! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote:
Lyta: I'm glad I'm not the only one with a Frodo obsession. And now that you have Sting, you may find that one sword is not enough...
Oooh, Alatariel! I hope I don't go that way! Sting is probably the only one I can carry with me! I've carried it on two of my walk sessions (now headed to Lothlorien!) along with my not-so-elven cloak and other assorted hobbit-wear! I don't think I could do that with Narsil or Glamdring, but I'd be tempted by Gimli's axe! His helmet is ultra cool too! Or my long held dream of wielding a bow of the Galadhrim, even though I can't pull more than about 20 lbs. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] and would be hopeless with any real bow!
Quote:
Lyta, sounds like you & I would make a good pair. I wear hobbit-clothes all the time. I went to the movie in "regular clothes" (for me) plus a cloak and Lorien brooch; and everyone thought I had "dressed up" as an elf. Lots of compliments.
That DOES sound a bit like me! I actually wore knee pants to the premiere, but had long socks and sandals to protect my feet. Luckily, the pants were thick wool, so they kept me nice and warm, AND they had pockets for my hobbitish tendency to secret food anywhere I can... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] No one's going to keep me from breakfast, second breakfast, elevensies, lunch, dinner, supper, evening snack, etc. etc. etc....

Cheers!
Lyta (who now wants the mithril vest, but isn't holding out hope anytime soon!)

P.S. I DON'T have the One Ring and probably never will; after all, there is only one in reality, and I think Elijah Wood has it, so I can't possibly have it! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I wear my wedding ring on a chain. I won't be casting THAT into Mt. Doom anytime soon!
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Old 12-28-2003, 04:25 PM   #383
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Quote:
Oh and just to add... I have actually found myself to be perfectly content with just my Sting.
Sigh...and ALL I want sword-wise is a Sting...

~Still Stingless Sam

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 5:26 PM December 28, 2003: Message edited by: Samwise ]
Old 12-28-2003, 04:27 PM   #384
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

I'm just praying that my parents have a sudden change of heart, and actually let me save up to buy Hadhafang. I want that soooooo much, but they think that my younger brother (who's 8) and his friends are going to kill themselves with it if they get their grubby little hands on it.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:26 AM   #385
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
And I am sitting here hoping that you get your Sting. Because you most definitely deserve one [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-01-2004, 11:28 PM   #386
Alatáriël Lossëhelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Quote:
I also got the "There and Back Again" set of figures with Bilbo, Merry, Pippin, Sam & Frodo in their Grey Havens outfits, with a miniature copy of the Red Book.

Oh, Miss Lynn, this sounds wonderful. Is it action figures or....?
Samwise: Yes, they're the 6-inch (or rather about 4 1/2 inches since they're hobbits) and made by ToyBiz, so the likenesses are pretty good. Frodo even has the partially-missing left index finger. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Quote:
now that you have Sting, you may find that one sword is not enough...

Heh..I just recently bought Sting, and one sword is definitely not enough!
ElenCala Isil: Those swords are addictive...

Quote:
we went to Half-Price Books afterwards: I found an oversized hardback copy of Ted Nasmith's illustrated "Silmarillion" in pretty good condition.

That is one thing I have been wondering about. I have been thinking of increasing my collection of books, and have been thinking of maybe visiting used book stores and places like that, but have been wondering if there is nothing avaliable because of the popularity of the films...So how avaliable are Tolkien's books?
Gorwingel: The books are not nearly as available now as they were about 5-6 years ago. But sometimes you can get lucky...probably about half of my Tolkien books are from used bookstores and most are in quite good condition.

Quote:
Lyta: I'm glad I'm not the only one with a Frodo obsession. And now that you have Sting, you may find that one sword is not enough...

Oooh, Alatariel! I hope I don't go that way! Sting is probably the only one I can carry with me! I've carried it on two of my walk sessions (now headed to Lothlorien!) along with my not-so-elven cloak and other assorted hobbit-wear! I don't think I could do that with Narsil or Glamdring, but I'd be tempted by Gimli's axe!
Quote:
Oh and just to add... I have actually found myself to be perfectly content with just my Sting. The only thing that I have thought of maybe adding is the white knives of Legolas. It is just that I find the other swords to be way to large for me. Sting I find to be just a perfect size.
Lyta & Gorwingel: Oh, Narsil & Andúril are way too big for me (I'm only 5'4"), but they do look cool on my wall. Hadhafang is a pretty good size, and Aragorn's dagger and Legolas' knives would be easy to carry as well!! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Quote:
~Still Stingless Sam
Samwise: You'll get it...don't give up!

Quote:
I'm just praying that my parents have a sudden change of heart, and actually let me save up to buy Hadhafang. I want that soooooo much, but they think that my younger brother (who's 8) and his friends are going to kill themselves with it if they get their grubby little hands on it.
Finwe: Hadhafang is a beautiful sword, but it is the only one I have that actually has a bit of an edge to it. Not razor sharp, but definitely sharper than the others, which have false edges.
Old 01-01-2004, 11:46 PM   #387
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Lyta:
Quote:
Or my long held dream of wielding a bow of the Galadhrim, even though I can't pull more than about 20 lbs. and would be hopeless with any real bow!
quote:
Lyta, how badly do you want to do archery? You can build up surprising strength with a pair of five pound weights (5 each, that is).

I bought a thirty pound Mirkwood Longbow thinking it would be weeks or months before I could draw it. Nope! I drew it the first day I had it... only a few times the first day but it steadily increased.

THe big thing is findng a good archery teacher. (How lucky can I be-- my husband is a Master Coach.) But if you want to do Elvish Archery, don't sell yourself short. You can get a decent bow for less than you can get a decent sword, at least that's what I found...

If I get so that the thirty-pound bow is too light I'll buy a 40-pound recurve... also probably Mirkwood... (I'm partial to the Silvan elves, those Noldorin elves just couldn't stay out of trouble.)
Old 01-11-2004, 04:11 PM   #388
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Well, while lookding for a Lord of the Rings calendar at Borders Bookstore, I found this:
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers 03/04 student planner.

After we got home, my mom ordered a LOTR daily boxed calendar. (Her first ever purchase online.)
Old 01-11-2004, 05:41 PM   #389
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Thumbs up

Cool, Morai! I got more stickers the other day, but I've got to get to work, so I'll have to list them later. Still not enough "Hobbitage" for my taste, but I think that's 'cause they're "TTT", and it's mostly Helm's Deep stuff... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

As for my own LOTR calendar, which is hanging beside my bedroom door, January has a pic of Lil' Mr. Wood (Frodo) in Gondor, a close up of his face with the Ring in his nail-bitten fingers, and a flying Nazgul coming in behind him. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2004, 08:01 PM   #390
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

Samwise, if you have any "Elfage" you could always send some to me. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Elfage is always welcome at my place. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-13-2004, 05:58 PM   #391
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

There's a little bit of that, Finwe.

Sigh. I've been bumping around the internet looking for a good price on a Sting for my ownself, as the majority if not all of you know. I've given up on getting the toy one, as I've eaten far too much candy and on the site associated with that, Sting is sold out. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] So, I found a couple at what I think may be good prices, but I've never purchased anything like this before. What do you folks think?

Knifecenter

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 7:03 PM January 13, 2004: Message edited by: Samwise ]
Old 01-13-2004, 06:24 PM   #392
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Sting

Quote:
Lyta, how badly do you want to do archery? You can build up surprising strength with a pair of five pound weights (5 each, that is).
Actually, Helen, it is one of those "one of these days" ideas in the back of my head. Right now, I am working on fixing my walking staves and shoeing them with something, and after that, sharpening my off-brand Sting sword (although I believe it is stainless and will take quite a bit of sweat to do!) After that, I plan to tear apart my thrift store Frodo jacket and make another (larger, more comfortable!) sized hobbit jacket in the proper fashion...I've found my 20 pound bow, but it lacks a string. Also got some arrows with really bada$$ points on them! Probably too good for my bow! I had thought to cut one or two of the bent arrows to make my husband a Boromir plus arrows costume, but haven't gotten to it yet (like everything else!). Also, add to the collection one small sized ROTK calendar that hangs incongruously in a large space on the wall! (Yet another Frodo image staring from the right hand wall!) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
So, I found a couple at what I think may be good prices, but I've never purchased anything like this before. What do you folks think?
Samwise, I looked at the price on that site, and it is indeed about 40 some dollars cheaper than BudK, the leading mailorder knife company, but it depends on whether you want the licensed one or the knockoff. I've got the knockoff (for $47 on Ebay) and it came with the sheath (the BudK Sting doesn't come with the sheath, and still costs $150 bucks!). I wanted a Sting I could carry with me on my long walks, so I didn't care to have a display model. I've already soaked the scabbard end in a few puddles, but the metal accent there is VERY handy for keeping the rest of it dry! If you're aiming for a display model like the one shown on your link, then the official one is probably a good bet, as it appears to come with a wall mounting thingy. Sometimes, though, you can find the official ones on Ebay for less, so I'd suggest looking around there a bit!

Cheers!
Lyta
Old 01-13-2004, 06:34 PM   #393
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Hm. Thank you, Lyta, but I've been looking on Ebay, and when I can find one, it's always out of my price range, or goes out of it rather quickly. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
I have seen scabbards on sale at ebay by themselves...
When you say "display", you mean the sword is actually attatchedto the display plaque?
Old 01-13-2004, 07:07 PM   #394
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Sting

Quote:
When you say "display", you mean the sword is actually attatchedto the display plaque?
You know, I've never looked into it, but I would not think they would issue it that way. I don't think decorative swords are normally sold that way. Every other decorative sword with stand I've seen has been separate from its stand. In fact one I looked at on Ebay (official model) says "silk screened wooden plaque included," so it must be separate. I suppose most of the Ebay models are knockoffs, really, so that was good enough for someone like me who takes it out every day and walks around the wilds with it! There does seem to be a bewildering array though! I hope some of this helped!

Cheers,
Lyta (that crazy woman who walks down the street with a cloak and a sword...)
Old 01-13-2004, 07:52 PM   #395
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

A 30-pound bow is usually all right for a relative newcomer to archery. I take regular archery lessons, and I use a 30-lb. bow with a fair amount of ease. Lyta, if you're going to actually take the bow about, I would highly recommend that you not try to actually shoot it unless you're in an archery range, or you know that you're absolutely alone. An arrow wound can be quite painful... and lethal. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-13-2004, 08:46 PM   #396
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Sting

Quote:
Lyta, if you're going to actually take the bow about, I would highly recommend that you not try to actually shoot it unless you're in an archery range
Worried you, did I? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] No, actually, it is Sting that I carry about. I also carry a walking staff, so I'd probably die of terminal overburdening if I tried to add a bow! I just harbor this idea in the back of my head that someday I'll be able to shoot a bow! Also, I live in the middle of nowhere and used to practice regularly with a slingshot on walnut and hideously fruited so-called "Bodark Apple" trees. It is so satisfying to drop a one pound fruit at 30 yards! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] My entire realm is an archery range! (Thus, it is VERY easy to lose arrows!)

Cheers!
Lyta
Old 01-13-2004, 09:16 PM   #397
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Quote:
I suppose most of the Ebay models are knockoffs, really
Hm. Well, this is United Cutlery, which seems pretty reputable, but how on earth would I begin to tell a 'knock off'? Really, aren't they all, save the one I believe is now owned by Elijah Wood? [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 10:18 PM January 13, 2004: Message edited by: Samwise ]
Old 01-13-2004, 09:29 PM   #398
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Sting

Quote:
Well, this is United Cutlery, which seems pretty reputable
The one in the link you posted is not a knockoff, nor are the ones offered in the BudK catalog. United Cutlery did the licensed edition, I believe. A lot of Ebay auctions, however, do not have the words "United Cutlery" or "licensed" anywhere in the text, although they proudly list the history of the sword back to Gondolin sometimes. The best policy is to email the seller and ask for details, such as maker, is it licensed, etc. and also check their previous feedback to make sure others haven't bought in good faith only to be let down in the end.

Quote:
Really, aren't they all, save the one I believe is now owned by Elijah Wood?
Maybe you should make him an offer? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I wouldn't even try for the One Ring, though! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] Seriously, I've never had any inclination to own the One Ring in any of its forms...there is just too much irony in owning one of millions of "One Rings." Sting, on the other hand, has many uses, even though there are lots of them out there too! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Cheers!
Lyta
Old 01-13-2004, 09:54 PM   #399
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

LOL! Sure, I could use a trip to S. Ca, why not...?
I wouldn't want the One Ring in any of it's forms, either....I'm a good guy, for pity's sake, and who wants to carry around a symbol of ultimate evil? As my dear Sam's movie counterpart himself said,

Quote:
"Someone asked if I wanted the Ring, but I said, 'No way'!"
My wants are simple. I juat want a STING!

[img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 01-13-2004, 10:08 PM   #400
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Thumbs up

oh skip the want, for me . this is my NEEDS...

1. Boromir's cloak( Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do...)
2. Boromir's sheild&sword( hey, it's just like having a barbie, she's only popular if you buy her friends...)
3. Boromir...( this last one's going to take a while... yes, make that a VERY long while...)

4. Merry's weed pipe...( Merry just looks so convincing and intelligent when he smokes... i wonder if it will work for me too.) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

well, that's my wish er... i mean NEED list. It's not that bad, i could probly manage to get at least two of the items or people. but, i would trade the other three plus all my David Bowie CD's for just Boromir... [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
that sound like a good deal to me... i mean come on ... it's DAVID BOWIE!!!

Quote:
" If i have made you happy, kindly let me know your appreciation with a warm goodbye."
Anne Rice, New tales of the vampires: Pandora
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote