The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-26-2002, 10:58 AM   #1
Glenethor
Wight

Glenethor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting What is your favourite set/scene?

Well,<P>We've had a thread or two or three about who everyone thought was their favourite actors. Yet, it is clear that a huge part of the movie is the scenery of NZ, some mixed with CGI and models, and some not. What would you say are your favourites, if you could pick a few?<P>I love the Shire. If I ever became even reasonably wealthy, I'd buy a big plot of land and build my own hobbit-hole (slightly larger than scale, though). Everytime I go to the movie and see the Shire, I get all wistful, because I grew up in a more or less rural environment, and though I've lived in cities since I was 12, I have never completely adjusted to them. Too loud, too dirty, too compressed, too fast, too impersonal. I just don't fit in concrete jungles. I think PJ's depiction of Hobbiton is fantastic. When I see it, I can smell the fresh cut hay, the..ahem...pony manure, devoid of smog and water that tastes like it flowed out of Imlad Morgul.<P>I also loved Rivendell and Lorien. I'd live in either place faster than you could say "the road goes ever on."<P>What about you?

Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Glenethor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 12:13 PM   #2
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

I thought the Sets (and modles) of Rivendel were incredible! Lothlorien was nothing like I had imagined.
Old 02-26-2002, 01:45 PM   #3
Airetauriel
Animated Skeleton

Airetauriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'd love to live in Lothlorien - and I can't wait to see the set of Minas Tirith more closely. Rivendell was great too. What about the set of Minas Morgul - always being one for the dark side, the shot of the riders being set loose from the gates was my favourite shot. I also can't wait to see Cirith Ungol and Shelob's lair. Barad-dur was very impressive, as was Orthanc. If I could live anywhere, though, it would be Lothlorien, closely followed by Orthanc....when it's green +leafy, that is. I'd love to inhabit Orcthanc when it's turned into the tree-garth....make friends with all the ents!!!<P> Airetauriel
Airetauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 01:56 PM   #4
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rosa Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rosa Underhill
Sting

Lothlorien was nothing like pictured it; too dark, no bright yellow leaves on the mallorns. But that's not my point.<P>Favorite sets/places: THE SHIRE!!! No contest, I loved that place, from Hobbiton to the Brandywine and everything in between! Moria, Amon Hen, Rivendell, Isengard before it was 'redecorated' by Saruman, even Mordor... Aw, heck, I loved it all! I can't wait to see places like Fangorn wood, the Entmoot meeting area, Minas Tirith, and especially the Window on the West! I loved that place in the books.
Old 02-26-2002, 02:41 PM   #5
Vilya Elathelas of Rivendell
Animated Skeleton

Vilya Elathelas of Rivendell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

RIVENDELL!! I wanna live there now. the nearest i can come to describing it is perfect.
Old 02-26-2002, 03:01 PM   #6
Nufaciel
Wight

Nufaciel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I loved Rivendell, and also the Shire. Hey, did you guys hear that Peter Jackson is putting a hobbit hole in his backyard? Pretty cool, huh?!
Old 02-26-2002, 04:42 PM   #7
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Oooo... it's hard to pick because it was all so beautiful. I really liked the little I saw of Minas Tirith - can't wait to see more of it. I was dazzled by Lothlorien, I think it was the lights! I also really liked Isengard - which I don't think anyone mentioned yet (can't wait to see it detroyed ).
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 09:25 PM   #8
Nova
Pile O'Bones

Nova has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Nova Send a message via AIM to Nova
Sting

I liked Rivendell and the Shire, as well. Those were probably the two sets that took the most work to create. The Shire, with the actual reshaping and replanting of the land. And the sheer attention to detail in Rivendell...<P>When I saw the Shire, I just thought, 'pretty'. Actually couldn't help but whisper the word. A few of my friends gave me funny looks.

"Now come, you filth! You've hurt my master, you brute, and you'll pay for it. We're going on; but we'll settle with you first. Come on, and taste it again!"

"If I'm to go on, then I must take your sword, by your leave, Mr. Frodo, but I'll put this one to lie by you, as it lay by the old king in the barrow; and you've got your beautiful mithril coat from old Mr. Bilbo. And your star-glass, Mr. Frodo, you did lend it to me and I'll need it, for I'll be always in the dark now. It's too good for me, and the Lady gave it to you, but maybe she'd understand. Do you understand, Mr. Frodo? I've got to go on."

-Nova
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 10:00 PM   #9
Mayla Took
Wight

Mayla Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Mayla Took
Silmaril

I have to say that I loved the Shire!! I probably enjoyed veiweing the Shire than any where else! The Lothlorien set was also incredible!! Although, it did not look at all what I had imagained also.
Bilbo to Merry and Pippin

"Fool of a Took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!"
Gandalf to Pippin in Moria

E-mail me at mailto:ThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.comThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.com</A>
Oh, and please rate me. THANKS!
Mayla Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 10:26 PM   #10
andhiriel greenleaf

Eye

Rivendell. I just love the peacefullness and the atmosphere there. And, of course, since I'm an elf, I already live there. You don't believe me?
Old 02-27-2002, 04:05 PM   #11
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Boots

Moria was most visually stunning for me, but I wouldn't live there if they paid me (Balrogs, apparently, do not make good neighbors, though perhaps frying my eggs in the morning wouldn't be a problem). <BR>Though I am no Hobbit, I would live in the Shire, the way Peter Jackson presented it. Beautiful, serene, and lush . Plus, there's the added bonus of the beer.
Old 02-27-2002, 04:09 PM   #12
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I fell in love with Lothlorien! I also liked Rivendell and Hobbiton. Those were my favourites!

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 04:17 PM   #13
dragongirlG
Wight

dragongirlG has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i loved the Shire. It was so rural and rustic and peaceful. The best location in the movie, I think, was Rivendell. It was just gorgeous. I'd like to live there (according to the movie) but according to the books I'd like to live in Lothlorien. It's so beautiful.
dragongirlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 05:31 PM   #14
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Hey, did you guys hear that Peter Jackson is putting a hobbit hole in his backyard? Pretty cool, huh?! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>And it's not just any hobbit-hole, either! I found a lil' bit at <A HREF="http://www.theonering.net" TARGET=_blank>The One Ring.net</A> that said when they took down the Hobbiton set/location *sniff* PJ had Bag End moved to his home! He's going to use it as a guest house. (Man, wish I knew him just so I could stay at his place! )<P>Oh, I loved Suzat! Erm, the Shire, I mean. Heh, learning as much of the Common Tongue as exists (which, sadly, isn't much). The first time I saw FotR with the music in it and everything, I almost cried seeing the Shire. (I love, green, what can I say? Add a bunch of green backdrop to a hobbit village and you've made my day! )
Old 02-27-2002, 10:23 PM   #15
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Ah the Shire... but I feel as Bilbo did, too many confounded nosy neighbors hanging on the bell. <P>Mountains on the other hand.. <P>I will wait to purchase my cottage until after I've seen Rohan. Not the fields, but Edoras, simple, beautiful, and set in the peaks of Gondor. <P>Methinks I needs must learn to ride more than a hobbit pony if I move. But the language sounds fun to learn and speak, all rumbling and purring, and honest out-spoken folk I like best.<p>[ February 27, 2002: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 02-27-2002, 11:45 PM   #16
Glenethor
Wight

Glenethor has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<I>The camera zooms in on the envelope in Frodo's hand: The music turns discordant, and we are now looking over Gorgoroth toward Mt. Doom. The camera pans toward the towers of the City of the Ringwraiths. A call rings out from the Tower...to be answered by the eruption of Orodruin...and the Nine issue forth to that beautifully menacing choral in D minor. Then to Gandalf approaching MInas Tirith, with the Mountains of Shadow in the background. </I><P>Is that the scene of which you speak, Airetauriel?<BR> <P>That really was a teaser as far as Minas Tirith goes, eh?<P>Yes, I love that! And the Last Alliance scene! However, that should've taken place at the <I>Dagorlad</I> eh?<P>And Moria was as I pictured it...wouldn't want to live there, though! No, I'd be perfectly content on Bagshot Row, thankee...and if I ever wanted to see mountains, I'd just step out of my doorway, and out into the road!<BR> <p>[ February 28, 2002: Message edited by: Glenethor ]

Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Glenethor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 01:16 AM   #17
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

I live in Colorado. I've got all the mountains I need right here, thankee very much. (Oh, but I miss my mountains whenever I'm away, even though I can't see them at all from where I am in Denver.)<P>Someday, I hope hobbit architecture becomes popular so I can afford a small hobbit hole somewhere. That'd be so cool!
Old 02-28-2002, 02:20 AM   #18
ripcurlgirl

Ring

I love the Shire! Its reminds me of a town about 5 minutes away from my house, it has all those lovely green hills. But the shire looked so peaceful and calm.
Old 02-28-2002, 02:41 AM   #19
Esgalfangiel, Elf-girl

Ring

I think Rivendell has to be the absolute best setting in LOTR. But the Shire's really good too, and so's Lothlorien. I think the whole film was really well set and, dare I say it, extrememly well cast too!<BR>Esgalfangiel
Old 02-28-2002, 09:58 AM   #20
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Hey, for all of you Shire lovers out there...<BR>If you haven't seen it already, you should see the Dicovery channel Behind The Movie about the Fellowship of the Rings. There is a section in it that talks about finding Hobbiton. There is also a lot of other great stuff. If I am not mistaken, you can rent this video - it's only about an hour long.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 11:15 AM   #21
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Shire was impressive, but I think I would choose to live in Rivendell. I loved the art nouveau architechture, the mountains and the waterfalls.
Old 03-01-2002, 11:52 AM   #22
Allafinwen

Silmaril

the best scenery was definatly in lothlorien and rivendell. lothlorien because of all the spiralling stircases around the trees upto flets high above the ground. there hung blue lanterns that were sooooooooooo beautiful and magical, the architecture of them was fantastic! the carved staues and the bed and seats in rivendell were fabulous! entwining wooden vines and things! wow!<P>the best scene though had to be in lothlorien aswell! the mallorn swan boats and the huge trees, the mirro and the fantastic music was so good, haldir was funny! galadriel was beautiful, the mirror scen was beautiful, and orlando bloom (legolas!) looked so fine in his purply bluey clothes listening to the lamentations for gandlaf! music that accompanies it is fantastic! number 14 on the sound track ! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2002, 06:46 PM   #23
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

I'd still live in the Shire but I'd definately have that bed from Rivendell in my hobbit-hole! Everytime I see that scene I think "Okay Frodo, either scootch or get out, I wanna sleep there!" I even drew a little comic about that! (I should stop talking about these, since I have no idea how i'm going to get them posted on-line.) It involves my guide dog pushing Frodo out of bed while Sam is sleeping in the chair next to him.
Old 03-01-2002, 09:19 PM   #24
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The best scenery? The land of my birth, Lothlorien! Gotta love that magical blue glow! <BR>Although I too would love a hobbit house! <BR>Would have to make major adjustments though, for height. Can't have massive brain hemorrhages from banging my head repeatedly into the ceilings! <p>[ March 01, 2002: Message edited by: Aralaithiel ]
Old 03-04-2002, 01:40 AM   #25
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Lothlorien was...blue? (Seriously, I did not know that. In fact, I had no idea what color was in Lothlorien; didn't even know they had lanterns! I just knew that Galdriel was really bright! ) Eh, bad vision'll do that to a lass. *shrugs* I just thought it was really dark in there; nothing like the over-grown aspens in autumn that I imagined while reading.
Old 07-05-2002, 12:52 PM   #26
Calencoire
Haunting Spirit

Calencoire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Calencoire
Silmaril

I loved the Shire and Rivendell because they were exactly how I had imagined them. The Shire semmed happy and peaceful and Rivendell semmed majestic and also peaceful.
Old 07-05-2002, 12:56 PM   #27
gollum*elf*pup
Shade of Carn Dûm

gollum*elf*pup has just left Hobbiton.
Caradhras! Snow, wind, rocks, muhahahaha. it was cool (oops, i mean cold)
Old 07-05-2002, 01:30 PM   #28
Anunia
Haunting Spirit

Anunia has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well, would like very much to live in Rivendell or in Lothlorien. The Shire isn't bad too, but I need technology!! But, I wait until I see Edoras and Minas Tirith (in the second movie) to decide.

Dream the impossible, because dreams do come true.
Anunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 02:00 PM   #29
Vardadurwen
Wight

Vardadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Shire was definitely extremely beautiful, as was Rivendell and Lothlorien. There was such detail in the carvings...truly exquisite! And the atmosphere in Lothlorien was so magical.<P> I really loved Moria. I fell in love with staircases after seeing "The Name of the Rose". That's why I also loved Minas Tirith and Orthanc...just the idea of all those books. I would love to go through all of them and just read and read and read and read and...well you get the idea lol.<P> And of course, all the outdoor scenery was breath-taking. The hills, the woods, the misty mountains, the lakes, the fields...<P> Oh ya, and that shot of the nine riders leaving was super great! It freaks me out everytime I see it!!!<BR> <BR> Oh damn I just love the whole movie LOL!

'Now there's an eye-opener and no mistake!' - Samwise Gamgee
Vardadurwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 02:03 PM   #30
Vardadurwen
Wight

Vardadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

just another message:<P> I can't say I found Caradhras very appealing considering I live on it for...9 months out of the year. Welcome to Saskatchewan LOL

'Now there's an eye-opener and no mistake!' - Samwise Gamgee
Vardadurwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 10:26 PM   #31
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hobbiton has to be my favorite set out of the movie. Rivendell is a close second, but Hobbiton just looked so real, as if it really had been there for 500 years. <P>Only thing was, I kept expecting the halfings to start doing "The Safety Dance" <P>(BTW: If you young'ns don't get the joke, check out the video on the Internet)
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 08:01 AM   #32
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Lothloriennnnnn! It's so beautiful there, and I wouldn't mind living among the mallorn trees for a while. Second place would be Rivendell. It looks so peaceful there. What can I say? I love elves.
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 09:35 AM   #33
orlandoandsaran
Haunting Spirit

orlandoandsaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to orlandoandsaran
Shield

I did not like Lothlorien at all...it was very eerie looking. I loved Rivendell!! It was superb!
Old 07-06-2002, 10:08 AM   #34
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmm, I doubt this will surprise anyone. Look above and see Glenethor's post and you've got my fave scene. Ah, Minas Morgul and Barad-dur. Simply beautiful!!<BR>Oh well The Last Alliance and Rivendell too.....<p>[ July 06, 2002: Message edited by: Maikadilwen ]
Old 07-06-2002, 10:38 AM   #35
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

I loved the shire, but what was overwhelmingly marvelous to see was Rivendell. I also felt the charge of emotion when the four Hobbits finally reunited after Frodo woke up. that looked really heartwarming.<P>Oh, and Maikadilwen, I looove your sig. Had fun reading it.
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 10:41 AM   #36
NazgulNumber10
Wight

NazgulNumber10 has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

i liked the shire alot too
NazgulNumber10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 05:21 PM   #37
Greyhame
Animated Skeleton

Greyhame has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Greyhame
White-Hand

OK, I know they were completely CGI, but...<P>Why hasn't anyone mentioned the Argonath? Man, they were breathtaking!!! So big, so majestic...<P>So "Mt. Rushmore ain't got NOTHIN' on us!!!"<P>Besides, Isildur and Anarion own all your behinds. Just admit it. They do.
Old 07-08-2002, 06:16 AM   #38
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Why hasn't anyone mentioned the Argonath? Man, they were breathtaking!!! So big, so majestic <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I loved that one, too, and I wish Argonath was real
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 10:50 AM   #39
Anorien
Wight

Anorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Anorien
Ring

Well, my favorite set would have to be when Frodo wakes up in Rivendell and comes to stand on the balcony. i love that view. It is gorgious!!!!! But, my favorite scene is weathertop!!!!!! I swear I have watched that part a million times! But, it was also my favorite in the book, so that's probably like it in the movie so much!<BR>
Anorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 08:55 PM   #40
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Silmaril

I think my favorite set was Lothlorien. I have always enjoyed being surrounded by trees. Contrasting to my last thought, I also love open fields and hills. That would include: The Shire and and some places in Rohan.<p>[ July 08, 2002: Message edited by: Morai ]