The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-18-2002, 04:42 PM   #1
NinjaFerret
Animated Skeleton

NinjaFerret has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NinjaFerret
Sting Music related to LotR (Howard Shore's score, Johann DeMeij, etc.)

I just wanted to know what everyone thought of the music. Scores and soundtracks sometimes can make or break a movie. I thought Shore did a wonderful job; his score was enough to enhance but not take over the movie. It was subtle and forceful at the same time. <P>On the other hand, Enya was overplayed...she contributed, but eh. She could have been there, didn't have to be. What's with that track "Lothlorien" on the cd??? It makes me shudder. It's so raw in comparison w/ what Shore did, and Lothlorien is supposed to be one of the most polished intricate places. <P>For anyone who is familiar w/ Johann De Meij's compositions, there are similar themes w/ Shore. If you listen to De Meij's theme for the hobbits, it is the same kind of regularity; there is a measured precision of beats that gives a feeling of the of their simple life. Love his stuff. We played the "Gandalf" movement of De Meij's work. It's great to listen to and even more exciting to play. <P>Want to know what you all think.<P>May your luck exceed the stench of your oxters.
Old 04-18-2002, 05:04 PM   #2
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Is the other composer you list the one who wrote The Lord of the Rings Symphony? I keep trying to listen to that on Amazon, but the link won't work for me. Perhaps I shall go to Border's and listen to it.<P>As discussed in previous topics on this board... I really thought that Howard Shore did an excellent job in capturing the books - especially with the themes for the Hobbits, the Ringwraiths and the Fellowship. I agree that the Lothlorien track was a bit creepy (which probably contributes to so many people unfamiliar with the books thinking that Galadriel is evil). It definitley created a mood, though. A sort of mystifying mood.<P>And, if you're interested (I have mentioned this before in the past)... check out a CD called "Music Inspired by Middle Earth, by David Arkenstone" - I find that the Middle Earth Orchestra, as they call themselves, really captured the moods of their pieces. I especially love the tracks titled "Arwen and Aragorn" and "The Gray Havens". Check it out, it's pretty good!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 05:05 PM   #3
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

PS - Welcome to the Downs!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 03:39 PM   #4
Vardadurwen
Wight

Vardadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I really thought that Howard Shore's music was great. Especially at the end of "Treason of Isengard" where the choir is singing and it gets soo big and powerful.<BR> I think he really profiled everything well in his music. You can get such a great pictures in your head when you listen to it (seeing the movie helps too lol )<BR> To me Lothlorien was perfect. I always thought it was such a magical, but at the same time creepy place! So Lothlorien really worked for me.<BR> I played "Gandalf" from Johan de Meij's Symphony arranged for wind band (ya i know *shudder*). But it was one of my favorite pieces this year. I haven't heard any of the other movements to the Symphony, but I think i'll buy the CD.<BR> I've also heard of "Music Inspired by Middle Earth". Can you find it anywhere (HMV, A&B Sound)?

'Now there's an eye-opener and no mistake!' - Samwise Gamgee
Vardadurwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 12:09 AM   #5
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I found the score by Howard Shore to be intensely satisfying & intrinsic to the quality of the movie.! It deepened the scenes and augmented the action. The music was almost like an additional character added to round out the composition of the screenplay.<p>[ May 20, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 05-20-2002, 01:06 AM   #6
Veritas
Wight

Veritas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, when I hear the music, I see the movie in front of me. I think that's nice work of Howard Shore! Lothlorien is the best one I think.<BR>Only thing is, in the books Galadriel is 'from the beginning' good, but in the movie, it's a bit doubtfully wether she is good or not. Th music is also a bit doubtful (I don't know how to say it different in English).
Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 01:09 AM   #7
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Yes, just so - the music brings the scenes from the movie up vividly to me!
Old 05-20-2002, 05:07 AM   #8
avarrogion
Wight

avarrogion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to avarrogion
The Eye

The score done Howard Shore was done with perfection evry single sound blended with the scenes.<BR>For example the scene where Gandalf was falling the song played was so sad and touching or what about the starting hobbiton scene the music is so joyfull.<BR>Howard Shore blended music with emotions and feelings and the result produce was so melodic!!
Old 05-20-2002, 07:01 AM   #9
Nufaciel
Wight

Nufaciel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I loved the music, especially the Lothlorien piece. I thought it was perfect. The music was amazing, and I hope he does just as good a job on the next two movies.
Old 05-20-2002, 11:03 AM   #10
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, I loved the music. Question: Is the prononciation of the elvish words correct?
Old 05-20-2002, 11:08 AM   #11
gollum*elf*pup
Shade of Carn Dûm

gollum*elf*pup has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

it probably is, you just cant tell cause they're singing it. i can;t wait to hear the music for the next two!
Old 05-20-2002, 11:12 AM   #12
WillowStarmist

Sting

I love the soundtrack even if in dreams makes me cry!!!!
Old 05-20-2002, 11:34 AM   #13
Nufaciel
Wight

Nufaciel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah, as far as I've noticed, the Elvish is correct on the songs. It's very well done.
Old 05-21-2002, 02:56 AM   #14
avarrogion
Wight

avarrogion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to avarrogion
Sting

Well i can`t wait for the next two sountracks as i know i will be lost in the melodic rythm of fantasy and classical piece!!