The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2003, 01:20 PM   #1
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting Favorite Roleplaying Characters!

This might have been done before, but I was wondering if people have roleplayed with any really great characters. Please feel free to write a page explaining why!

(Short and to the point) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

*** ADMIN EDIT ****
Keep it Middle-earth related, please.

[ February 06, 2003: Message edited by: The Barrow-Wight ]
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 12:35 PM   #2
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

Oh, my goodness... there are so many that I've played or attempted to play, it's hard to decide. I'd have to say my favorite since the change in the RPG section is Ru-Sahn, an Easterling weaponsmith with an 'elusive past' which I still haven't revealed in full, who plays in the "Kidnapped!" RPG in Rohan. Before the change, my favorite character was Ardo Baggins, a hobbit in "The Gathering-In: The Quest of the 24 Messengers," an RPG that was unfortunately never finished. He was an admirable Fallohide, one of the first to take on a surname and settle in Buckland in the Shire. I really love to play hobbits; I wish there was more opportunity to do so.
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 03:52 AM   #3
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I love hobbits too. I have to say that I have two which are my favourite (don't make me choose between them, please) Gaddy Boffin and Hal Cotton, I'm still playing them in 'The Long Winter' but that's ending soon [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]. They're both so hobbitish, they're so fun to play.
Old 02-09-2003, 08:02 PM   #4
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

I've never had so much fun playing my character Raye from The Shadows of Umbra RPG. She kills, she steals, she does every terrible thing you could imagine. Almost all the other characters hate her, but Raye cares not. Ooh, it's so fun to play evil! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2003, 08:12 PM   #5
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

I agree, Brinniel. It's even more fun, though, to play mysterious, evil people... [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2003, 08:15 PM   #6
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

From the Shire...
Robin Brandybuck and Dinodas Green, two hobbits who have been friends since childhood. One of their many adventures is told in The Long Winter RPG.

From Rohan...
Culoth, my only character there thus far, but most likely to be my favorite for all time. She's a girl from Rohan (lives there, not posted about in the forum [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]), and so far is only in the White Horse, though she may end up in a game some time soon!

I had an idea for this thread, and, if Durelin approves, I think it would be interesting for people to say who their favorite RPG character that is not theirs, as well as their own. What do you think, Durelin?
Old 02-09-2003, 09:39 PM   #7
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I play Samwise Gamgee in the Hobbit's Gift, so I have to say that he's my favorite. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] But of those that I've come up with, I think I like Rie the best--Talmériė, at the Green Dragon. I haven't found an RPG for her yet, but her day will come. She's independent, argumentative, stubborn, and in many other ways quite a bit like me, but she's also brave and kind. (Well, I hope that's like me, but without bragging I can't expound on how much those aspects of her personality resemble me.) Plus she has red hair! How cool is that? I've always wanted red hair. And a twin! She has a twin! Oh yes. I love my Rie.

Not that I don't love my other characters, too...Mel and Arethin, Airan and Éorlan...but honestly, Rie was my first RPG character and I'm quite taken with her.

Nuru, I think that's a cool idea. If Durelin O-K's it I'll come back and talk about Don! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

~*~Orual~*~

[ February 09, 2003: Message edited by: Orual ]
Old 02-09-2003, 09:54 PM   #8
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

[img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] My favorite of mine would have to be Frain, an engineering Dwarf from the Lonely Mountain. He was pretty dern cool. I used him in the An Audience With the King Rpg, but recently I used the dust-gathering character to introduce my 'Search for the Book' Rpg in Rohan to the residents of the White Horse.

Of course, I like all my characters. Aislan (Gondor), Jemel And Aniram (Rohan) , Jadae (Rohan), Rolan (The Shire) , and Jerika (the Shire)...and Frain Thaneson.

I guess I'd have to say I'm most like all my characters. Jadae is independant, but has good friends. Jemel is dependable and Aniram is brave. Frain is stubborn but willing to learn. Jerika wants to prove herself. Aislan cares a lot for animals. Rolan...well, I haven't gotten much of a chance to play Rolan yet, but he's not much like me at all. He is quiet, introvert, and keeps his opinions to himself (Come on, anyone could tell you I'm not like that!). Oh well, I suppose it's not too much of a challenge playing a trait you don't associate with.

And of course, I have a 'thing' for J names. Expect more J characters soon. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Aylwen

[ February 10, 2003: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]
Old 02-09-2003, 11:07 PM   #9
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Silmaril

Orual, I like Rie, too! She's a wonderful character, and I love how you write about her. Of course, you played up to that falling-off-the-rafters bit I started with Tarondo really well - I got such a kick out of it! And then you referred to it again with the roof-repairs. Just terrific. I'd love to interact with you again some time; just let me get some school under control. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2003, 01:02 PM   #10
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Well, if I'm to talk about RP characters from the Green Dragon, Don would definitely be up in first with Robin and Dinodas!

Now, Rie. Rie is great. She and Don have had some great times together, haven't they, Orual? Red hair! I wanted red hair, too, but now I'm contented with my own. I still do love red hair, though, and I even did something horrible in the fan fiction I'm writing about a girl from Rohan (the one and only Culoth, for all who are at the White Horse)... I made her hair be slightly red.

Believe it or not, Don is much like me. I'm very stubborn, but I can be pretty friendly if I want to (though my friendliness is covered by shyness, not rudeness [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]). I don't have a twin, unfortunately (I've always wanted one of those as well, and wish I had got one!).

I could talk about my RPCs (Role Playing Characters) all day, but if Durelin accepts my idea, there are many RPCs I could talk about that aren't mine.

Of my own RPCs, here's an official list...

The Shire
1st- Robin Brandybuck, Dinodas Green, & Donnamira (Don)
2nd- Nurumaiel
3rd- Celebgaladhgwend
4th- Primrose Tussock & Bowman Proudfoot

I think those are the only characters I've really played so far. I've yet to actually start 'playing' Aragorn in Holiday in the Sun.
Old 02-10-2003, 08:20 PM   #11
Rosseiliantiel
Wight

Rosseiliantiel has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I really enjoyed my character Dineniel from the many-named Blue Sky, Night Thunder RPG, she was a fairly different character from the ones I normally play and to top it of I was RPGing with some other excellent characters.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:29 AM   #12
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I have become attached to each of the few characters I've played here. The first, despite the 'train-wreck' ( [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Birdie) of an RPG, was an aged monkey, of very great wisdom, and I enjoyed that immensely. The most interesting perhaps is Guthrin, on the Rohan RPG; he is not of genesis mine, I picked him up at around the time of Rohan's second life. Flawed, sporadically and spontaneously heroic, soon to be dead; all good fun indeed.

It strikes me that to write a Tolkien-true role-play, you have to invest as much care in the creation (if not more) than the 'source' author. If you do not care for your character (and they do not have to be feelings of love, I think it is perfectly sensible to play or write a character that repulses you), then perhaps you should not be writing about that character at all.

[ February 11, 2003: Message edited by: Rimbaud ]
Old 02-11-2003, 10:15 PM   #13
Artalwen
Haunting Spirit

Artalwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Artalwen
Sting

I truly enjoy playing my Arawyn. You haven't seen much of her, for I haven't been on in awhile. And I seem to catch the RPG's a wee bit late.
Also, I play a hobbit named Carie. I have never played a hobbit before coming here, and I must say, it is enjoyable to try something new!
The flowering stars, on crowns they hung
The dragon fire, in twisted wire
They meshed the light of moon and sun."
-verse from a song found in 'The Hobbit'-
Artalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 03:14 AM   #14
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Like Rimbaud, the first character I played was on the Rohan RPG, taken over after being deserted by his creator. Though I saved Taradan from his second near-death, I haven’t become attached to him, perhaps because he, like most of the characters on that RPG, is doomed in the end. (And the story has moved too slowly for much emotional involvement.)

I have grown very attached to Merisuwyniel, the character that I am playing on my own RPG, ‘The Revenge of the Entish Bow’. Though I created her to be a spoof on a typical Mary Sue heroine, I find myself taking her increasingly seriously despite the humorous nature of the story. In a very subtle way, she is becoming a bit of an alter ego for me.

Interestingly, though I did not choose my nick with the idea of her being a character, Estelyn has turned into one as well – first on the party threads, then later in visiting the Seventh Star Inn and participating in the mini-RPG ‘The Saving of the Seventh Star’. I hope that the adventures of the princess, Head Loremistress of the Library of Minas Anor in the Fourth Age, will continue.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 06:38 AM   #15
Carrūn
Wight

Carrūn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My favorite would be Awrygan, the outcast ranger who I used on some other sites & have begun using here. I enjoyed developing the character, plus I can identify with a lot of his traits which makes the writing more enjoyable.

A close second would be Narello, the small boy who I originally developed as a way to see more of Awrygan's character but ended up growing beyond that; he's only been in the Green Dragon as of yet but I'm definately going to use him some day.

...one of my first RPG characters was a little short fat man I called "Tubbie" but that's a different story. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2003, 10:17 AM   #16
Bźthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Ask not what favourite character, but why the character.

Unlike Estelyn, I did pick my nick and nick identity with care, although that identity has developed in interesting ways throughout the various games I've participated in.

I do not particularly identify with any character or race in Middle Earth and I wanted a nick that would be unique, original. I choose finally to be Goldberry's daughter, and this ghosted verse accompanied Bethberry's first appearance on another forum:

By that pool long ago
I bid a sad farewell,
To wander wide and far ahome.
I seek my mother's gladsome songs
throughout this Middle Earth.
Her voice untimely silenced be,
Yet still can mortal heart set free:
'O wind on the waterfall and the leaves' laughter,'
May the pure clear River spirit
Mellow time's disaster.

It ticks me off that Goldberry just disappears from the evening discussions and the book; even when Gandalf longs to return to the House of Bombadil, it is Tom he mentions, not Goldberry. Thus Bethberry goes forth searching outside that limited place. I tend to look for what is absent in LOTR.

I am uncomfortable with the fact that every sanctuary in Middle Earth--the Old Forest, Rivendell, Lothlorien, the Girdle of Melian, even The Shire itself, is a gated community. It implies to me segregation, as if good can only be good if isolated or protected from the world. It also sets The Other up as beyond the pale.

I chose the Old Forest because it seems to me to be the only sanctuary that is truly fairy, as Tolkien explored that idea in "On Fairy-Stories", that is, both good and perilous. Having grown up on the edge of the temporal rain forests of British Columbia, Canada might have something to do with it too. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

My first Tolkien RPG character was a hobbit, Esmerelda Hamwich of Buckleberry Fern, who presided over a summer Hobbiton garden party where dancing, mirth, poetry and feasting held forth on a flagstone patio outside the smial--pretty much standard fare, but it allowed for lyricism. This was long ago on a forum not even Tolkien. Esmerelda's made an appearance or two here at the Downs, in "On Patrol."

I have also played "Big-hearted Bertha", a kind of Coronation Street barmaid, in a spoof of LOTR on another site, called "In Search of Spandalf." Utterly wacky that one, its wackiness in part limiting a clear plotline, but fun. "Malice", a brat, made her appearance there, too, and it was delicious to be a brat, so unlike Bethberry.

"Saladriel" on Estelyn's "Revenge of the Entish Bow" marked a real change in writing style for me. Interesting, where parody takes one. And I like the challenge of writing as a crow for My Crow Management. I wanted Pip'kha to be a secondary character, a youngster who grows up suddenly, but he, too, seems to have assumed at least partially the role of a healer, lol.

I have done cameos on the Rohan RPG, as an Ent, where I wrote some Entish, played a male, and wrote a fatherly/daughterly scene, something no other game had given me the opportunity to do. It also allowed me to introduce some lyricism or fairy elements in a game that is predominantly cleared-eyed realism. Two other characters for Rohan, Ęelfritha and Cadfęl, have much intellectual and emotional thought invested in them and I would like to see Rohan survive well and strongly so I can introduce them, but I won't if the game will not revive. I'll stay Ulfwine there.

I would concur with Rimbaud, that the success of a character depends as much on the care in the initial thought and creation as in the actual writing of the game.

Bethberry

Edit: Pio's post reminded me that I forgot one game, Birdie's "The Gathering-In", where I played the Stoor Hob Heathertoes and would have played an ancestor of Gollem had the game continued. In light of our new games, perhaps it is interesting that I gave Birdie this character description:

What have we got in our mindses?
Birdie wants to know.
Askses uss. Askses uss.
Sss Sss Sss.
Ancestors we be
of those nastiesss.
and me takeses Deagol.

[ February 15, 2003: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 02-12-2003, 02:18 PM   #17
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I'm very fond of both my characters in "The Revenge of the Entish Bow", the only characters I've played.

Vogonwė Brownbark is a lovable doofous, often clueless but good-natured (if a little conceited about his poetry). He's half-elven, half-human, but a lot more man than elf. Through him I let loose my wild and terrible doggerel, no holds barred, no rules followed. It's a total blast.

Pimpiowyn Took is a half-hobbbit, half-woman, and I have fun playing with the dual nature that her mixed race creates. Like Estelyn and Merisu, Pimpi has become an alter-ego for me, a little. Not that I eat nearly as much, but basically I am a hobbit with a wild side. But of course she's a lot cuter than me so I find her very endearing.
Old 02-13-2003, 07:26 PM   #18
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I will never forget being Rose Goodchild in The Lonely Star story. I really grew as a Role Player when I was her.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:06 PM   #19
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Favorite character: From "The Gathering In"

Name: Camlost

Race: Corvus brachyrhynchos (common crow)

Personality: Gregarious, but wary, as he is often mistaken for a crebain. Intelligent, curious, and given to taking small items which strike his fancy. Was once captive in his youth, and lost one foot to the family dog. Can talk.

Weapons: Brain; swift flight; sharp, strong beak; wicked sense of humor

Why my favorite: A no holds barred sort of creature, with a mild disdain for the mental abilities of the two-leggeds.

Second favorite: From "Wolf Run"

Carchmoroth - Warg

Fierce, intelligent, a tactician in his approach to hunting prey and engaging in battle. Yellow eyed, silver backed grey, 200 lbs, lean, well muscled, bears a notched right ear from an unfortunate encounter with a sheep dog.

Taught to speak by an Elf he once detained and then devoured.

Given to reciting the verses concerning Carcharoth, from the 'Lay of Leithian' to captive audiences.

Again, I like him because he has a sneering contempt for self-important two-leggeds.
Old 02-14-2003, 04:26 AM   #20
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Quote:
I think it would be interesting for people to say who their favorite RPG character that is not theirs, as well as their own.
What a novel idea!

My favourite RPG character on the Downs (bearing in mind I am in some ways still a newbie) is Radagast!! from the Blue Mountains RPG. He might be a little out of character for the whiny little wizard from the books, but he is so cool! Very well written character, kudos to whoever his writer/manager is.

Another of my favourites is Olo Proudfoot from The Hobbit's Gift, managed by Eruantalon. But partly because he is the uncle of my own character Biffo, and they interact quite well. Cami from the Star is fantastic, as well. Keep up the good work, everyone!
Old 02-14-2003, 01:58 PM   #21
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Sting

Quote:
My favourite RPG character on the Downs (bearing in mind I am in some ways still a newbie) is Radagast!!
Wow, Doug! Auriel will be so happy to hear that! She's the person who plays him. I agree that she did a fantastic job.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:26 PM   #22
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I'd have to say my favorite characters are Lord Earnur Etceteron and his dread sword Wylkynsion. This introduction had me laughing out loud in my computer chair: (a very small slice for you)

Quote:
Meanwhile, astride the great Lord of horses, and blissfully unaware of his rebellious thoughts, Earnur himself was occupying his manly hands with the manly deed of manfully smoking his manly ebony pipe. Between manly puffs, he would pause to blow smoke rings of great intricacy and beauty, although of a deeply masculine and heroic fashion. Reaching back into one of his inky saddlebags, he extracted a blacked silver flask of Elven make, and took from it a manly swig of whatever manly spirit was to be found therein, before replacing it neatly with a single flick of his manly wrist.
Kudos to Squatter of Amon Rudh, the creator of this manfully manly "Miruvor-sodden fool".

It wouldn't do Wylkynsion justice to cut out a slice of his introduction. You know where to find it. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ February 14, 2003: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]
Old 02-14-2003, 02:33 PM   #23
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

Meeting other peoples' characters, I find, is a lot like meeting new people, and I love to see new aspects of each person or new reflections of their creativity in each new character they write. Of course, Rie loves Don and so do I--if she's a lot like you, Nuru, then you and I have a lot in common! Stubborn to a fault. A lot like Rie. And Tarondo's such a gentleman, catching falling ladies when they need it. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I love Cami, too--both as an adult and as a child.

~*~Orual~*~
Old 02-14-2003, 03:28 PM   #24
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Doug and Orual,

Thank you from Cami.

I'll have to take a close look at Radagast in Blue Mountains. I am intending to play Radagast in another RPG that we will set up in the late spring.

My Radagast will have definite bumbling tendencies, a bit like T. H. White's Merlin.
Old 02-14-2003, 05:26 PM   #25
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Silmaril

Gentlemanly to a fault, Tarondo is. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Of course, the fact was that Rie didn't fall until my post...oh well. Details, schmetails.

Besides, it livens up the action so much when ladies start falling from the skies! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2003, 08:33 PM   #26
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Sorry it seems I forgot this thread. To Nurumaiel's question, yeah, that's a good idea.

Um, I've thought about my favorite RPG character I played as, and I just can't decide which one! I think they all came out a little different than I originally wanted, but they've worked out. I've only played one RPG and am in the middle of another one, so I can't say much!
Old 02-14-2003, 09:26 PM   #27
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

Nuranar--
Oh, Rie had it coming. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Anyway, she needed to be shown a real gentleman...she certainly grew up with few enough! (Oh, I shouldn't say that, Talōmi's a gentleman. But she hardly noticed...he was her twin, after all, and she was rather the more vivacious one.)

One character that I forgot to mention was TheWhiteLady's Laurie. I haven't interacted with her, but I've carefully watched her posts. TWL (if I may call her TWL) is a very good writer, and I really like Laurie. (Oh, Eru, here I go again, expanding my "list of people to interact with"...Rie's never going to leave the Dragon, never ever. She'll be too busy talking to people.)

Namąriė,

~*~Orual~*~
Old 02-14-2003, 11:52 PM   #28
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

One of my favorite characters (that I have not played) is Arethin from the newer "Search For the Book." He's the sweetest guy I've ever seen, and he's a dreamer who loves all sorts of legends and stories, and from what I've seen is courageous, having to leave his mum and his younger brother behind while he goes on the quest, and he doesn't cower when people tease him for being a fan of fairy tales. GO ARETHIN!

Another one that I barely got a chance to play at all that I just remembered was Morithil, an elf slave who escaped from Mordor and stumbled upon a group of travellers. I can't even remember the name of the RPG because it was so short-lived.
Old 02-15-2003, 01:35 AM   #29
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My favorite characters that I played were Fina and Ceo, the hobbit twins in "The Gathering In". And I still have fond memories of Corvu the Crow in "Simian Shadow". (My very first RPG.)

As for other favorite players, I salute the crew of the Lonely Star, Child, Pio, Mith, Mark 12-20, and Rose Cotton. It was a long, strange trip, eh?

Favorite new player was Garen LiLorien, who played Ned the Hobbit in "The Wolf Run" RPG. I was very impressed by his well-rounded characterization of the plucky, yet self-doubting tween who struggled to find his courage. Hope to get to play with Garen again.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 01:59 AM   #30
Airerūthiel
Wight

Airerūthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have to say that my favourite character I played was Maikadurion from 'A Ride to the Dark Side', because he was my first truly successful attempt at getting out of my own character (which somehow always ends up being reflected in my main characters) and into someone else's. He was based largely on my best friend, and really helped me get inside the head of a character in my latest novel that I'm writing a little like him.

I also really love my latest character, Torfithien, who appears in 'To Rescue Celebrian', because she's kind of like a combination of what I am and what I would like to be. I think she'll be hard to write because of those differences, but I'm sure I'm going to enjoy RPGing in her guise.

As for other people's characters, I have to say that I particularly liked Deorlin, Izrenna and Aelfritha (Ride to the Dark Side), as well as Elentari, Lorin and Hreeza (Cirith Ungol), because they were such strong and realistic characters that were well-written and seemed to grow as the story progressed. Well done to you all and everyone who I have had the honour of gaming with! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-15-2003, 03:31 AM   #31
The Squatter of Amon Rūdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rūdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rūdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rūdh
Sting

I've played three characters so far in a Tolkien roleplay, all of them here, all of them in the same story and one of them even vaguely approaching human. If I had to name my favourite of those it would be the mighty horse-lord, Baklava, whose ability to pour forth oceans of withering contempt without opening his mouth is a lesson to us all. It's very gratifying that at least one other person thought that the terrible trio was worth a mention. You do me too much honour, Diamond.

However my favourite RPG character (invented and played by me, that is) came from an old-fashioned dice-and-clipboard campaign, which I can't talk about too much because it wasn't based in Middle-earth. He was immortal, born so who knows how (this saves you the trouble of making ageing rolls, kids [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ), and had lost his wife and son to a mob, who attributed his everlasting youth to a Satanic pact. His name was Sir Tristan de Tocqueville, and I loved playing him, but sadly all RPGs must come to an end and he had to retire eventually.
Old 02-15-2003, 04:01 AM   #32
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

I am especially enjoying the other characters of the Fellow/galship as well as the additional players on the Revenge of the Entish Bow. My fellow players are such good writers, so full of humour, that it is a joy to read every new post and an inspiration for my own writing. Praise them with great praise!

Halfullion Gormlessar (Rimbaud)
Orogarn Two (Barrow-Wight)
Earnur Etceteron (Squatter)
Vogonwė Brownbark and Pimpiowyn (Diamond18)
Kuruharan and Chrysophylax (Kuruharan)
Pettygast (Child of the Seventh Age)
Gravlox (Mithadan)
Saladriel and Celery (Bethberry)
various critters (Birdland)
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 05:51 AM   #33
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ElentariGreenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

YAY! Thankyou Airerūthiel! Elentari is my favourite character too!
Old 02-15-2003, 07:03 AM   #34
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Dear Durelin,

My favorite character must have been and still is Anuion the elven ranger. I came up with him the firsth time I made a character. He had to wait tough since there where no elf's needed in the shire at that time. They DID need dwarfes so I made him a dwarg. Voila: Anuionin was born. The name was just a cheap rip-of from Anuion. I just gave it an IN to make it sound dwarfish. My fav character played by another is difficult. I liked your Hamfast. and Uhm Tallin is good aswell. (played by Amanaduial the Archer in the Shadow's of Umbria RPG) I could go on for this a long time. I like Raye as well. (Brinniel in the shadows of Umbria RPG)

Nice question by the way.

Greetings,

Anuion
________
Silver Surfer Vaporizer

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 02:08 AM.
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 07:57 PM   #35
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sting

Oh, thanks Helka! Hamfast was fun. Maybe he'll make a comeback in the Green Dragon!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-15-2003, 08:20 PM   #36
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Since Durelin, has approved, here I go! Time to compliment others on their wonderful characters...

Rie, definitely. Red-headed, stubborn, Don's best friend. Played by Orual

Cami Goodchild, as child and adult, one of my favorite characters ever, though I'm not sure what Bowman thinks of her! Played by Child of the 7th Age.

Piosenniel, a most beautiful Elf, wonderful innkeeper, and another of my favorites. Played by Piosenniel.

Mithadan, yes, another Lonely Star character (that is definitely my favorite game I've read, though I haven't finished it yet). Piosenniel couldn't have chosen a better man to fall in love with. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Played by Mithadan.

Gaddbard Boffin and Halwon Cotton, two great Hobbits for laughs, fun, and adventure. Played by dragoneyes.

Giles Harfoot was a favorite from the start, with his crazy acrobatics and his salt & pepper. Played by Gandalf_theGrey.

Okay... that's all... for now. I have many other characters but I'll wait for now. Those are my top favorites. I feel as though I'm forgetting someone very important, but I can't remember who it is...
Old 02-16-2003, 03:42 AM   #37
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Quote:
I feel as though I'm forgetting someone very important, but I can't remember who it is...
Me ofcaurse. THey always forget me. Is it me? What have I did wrong. Do you hate me? Can't you just type my name there. You hate me do you?
Weeeeeeeeeeheeeeeeeeeheeeeeeeeeeheeeeeh

*goes to a corner sobbing*

Okay that made no sence.

Greetings,

Anuion
________
MICHIGAN DISPENSARY

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 02:09 AM.
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 04:50 PM   #38
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

My favorite character was probably Izrźnna, the Rohirrim from "A Ride on the Dark Side". I don't know why she was my favorite: she is nothing like me. My old character that keeps making appearances hither and yon, Menelduliniel, is a lot more like me than Izrźnna. Maybe that is why I liked playing her: she is so unlike me. Well, I cried at the end of "A Ride on the Dark Side" in general, anyway. I'm not telling the ending in case someone wants to read it and doesn't want to know. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2003, 05:24 PM   #39
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with you Doug, I had to work very closely with Radagast's character in the Blue Mountains. Go Auriel!!
Old 02-23-2003, 05:27 PM   #40
Ransom
Wight

Ransom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ransom
Sting

My favorites:

Volkmar from Rohan RPG. A Ranger with near-cripling physical and emotional injuries. He'll probably die with the rest of the band, but what's life without risks?

[ February 23, 2003: Message edited by: Ransom ]

[ March 18, 2003: Message edited by: Ransom ]