The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2009, 03:36 PM   #2881
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
You just made my day, Lommy, thanks! The avvie is my personal rendition of a picture of Thorin, drawn by Mr. Howe. I think that it is a near perfect forgery!
Old 01-19-2009, 04:15 PM   #2882
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
The avvie is my personal rendition of a picture of Thorin, drawn by Mr. Howe. I think that it is a near perfect forgery!
Wow, what, really? That's pretty good. I had no idea you have such talents. Well, what can one know from just generally reading about people on a forum, right...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:40 PM   #2883
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
The avvie is my personal rendition of a picture of Thorin, drawn by Mr. Howe.
That is drawn by you? Wooow! *bows in awe*

As Legate said, there are things forum-discussions and games will not reveal, until eventually...

Cool!
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:32 PM   #2884
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Bethberry has a lovely avatar painted by the man himself unless I am much mistaken...splendid
So right you are, Mithalwen. It is taken from one of Tolkien's Father Christmas drawings--maybe even one of his North Pole stamps. Originally I choose it for my Christmas avvie.

However, seeing as I am living in a land of far more snow and cold temperatures than is usual (although I've lived in colder places) I decided to keep it 'round for awhile as my winter avvie also. There are icicles hanging from the evestrough along the front porch that are four to five feet long and at least four inches wide; the entire front of the porch is lined with these sparkling evidences of the frigid domain .

After all, the North Pole is part of my country.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:00 AM   #2885
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I truly appreciate Noggie's newest avatar. When I first saw it, it made my day.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:35 AM   #2886
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Indeed that's really impressive, Groin. Wow.

But now I will force you to play in the next round of paper telephone, so go on and sign up, now.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:11 AM   #2887
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
But now I will force you to play in the next round of paper telephone, so go on and sign up, now.
Force me to play! *looks for the nearest exit* Seriously though, thanks for the invite but I really don't think that would work out: we don't have a scanner at our house to upload pictures to our computer. This picture took me weeks of waiting to scan it to a stick at the college library (and I am not in even taking classes at the college yet).

I really shouldn't have bragged about it, but I appreciate all your compliments.

Last edited by Groin Redbeard; 01-20-2009 at 09:17 AM.
Groin Redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:21 AM   #2888
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Hey Groin you could just take a photo of the picture instead of scanning it. Some people always do it.

Anyway when I first saw your avvie I thought it was nice, but knowing you've drawn it yourself makes it rather fantastic. Any chance we could see a bigger picture of it?
Old 01-20-2009, 09:23 AM   #2889
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Force me to play! *looks for the nearest exit* Seriously though, thanks for the invite but I really don't think that would work out: we don't have a scanner at our house to upload pictures to our computer. This picture took me weeks of waiting to scan it to a stick at the college library (and I am not in even taking classes at the college yet).
Oh, that's a pity. But if you happen to have a scanner at your disposal some time, then do join. (PS. I don't have a scanner either. I just take pictures of my drawings with a digital camera...)

And just to stay on topic, I have to say I find Ka's avvie charming.

edi: xed with Agony
Old 01-20-2009, 09:45 AM   #2890
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
You're from Greenland?
Old 01-20-2009, 10:21 AM   #2891
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir
Any chance we could see a bigger picture of it?
I can do that.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...g?t=1232468195
Old 01-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #2892
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Now thaaat is even more amazing (of course, as it's bigger and in more detail)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:31 AM   #2893
Vaine
Haunting Spirit

Vaine has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
You got skills. That is very much Alan Lee'ish.
Vaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:19 PM   #2894
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
So right you are, Mithalwen. It is taken from one of Tolkien's Father Christmas drawings--maybe even one of his North Pole stamps. Originally I choose it for my Christmas avvie.

However, seeing as I am living in a land of far more snow and cold temperatures than is usual (although I've lived in colder places) I decided to keep it 'round for awhile as my winter avvie also. There are icicles hanging from the evestrough along the front porch that are four to five feet long and at least four inches wide; the entire front of the porch is lined with these sparkling evidences of the frigid domain .

I thought I recognised it from "Artist and Illustrator" which I had been taking a closer look at before Christmas. Snow is an increasingly rare commodity here and is conseequently usually regarded with a degree of affection since it is a very temporary disruption - at least this far south..less so perhaps in the midlands. However I do wonder if having spent his earliest childhood in a hot dry land if snow and ice particulary captured Tolkien's imagination.

In the mean time I shall google evestrough so I can better imagine your ice kingdom .... I like the idea of the icicles... especially when a G&T needs chilling

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:32 PM   #2895
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
In the mean time I shall google evestrough so I can better imagine your ice kingdom .... I like the idea of the icicles... especially when a G&T needs chilling
I suspect your googling has shown you that it is one of those gutter spellings so prevalent now in Canada which appear to rehearse the early derivation of the word from the ME eves or OE efes without of course going so far as to reproduce the OE f.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar
You're from Greenland?
I wouldn't say Canada is that far in the forefront of the environmental movement. Our postal service, however, has assigned a postal code for letters to Santa Claus following our code system (letter, number, letter; number, letter, number): H0H 0H0. I'm not sure what the International Seabed Authority or the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea makes of that.

But most certainly Tolkien's depictions of Father Christmas's abode resemble our Inuit igloos.

Last edited by Bêthberry; 01-21-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Bêthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:08 AM   #2896
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
http://www.santa.gl/uk/SantaClaus

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:15 AM   #2897
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
I wouldn't say Canada is that far in the forefront of the environmental movement. Our postal service, however, has assigned a postal code for letters to Santa Claus following our code system (letter, number, letter; number, letter, number): H0H 0H0. I'm not sure what the International Seabed Authority or the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea makes of that.
You're Canadian!?! But you said that "After all, the North Pole is part of my country." I wrote 'Greenland,' but my first guess was Atlantis, as there is no permanent land mass at the north pole.

Atlanteans are thought to be very mysterious and so intelligent as to be cryptic to us trogs, and so I figured that you might be one of them. How you have internet under the ocean ice...well, that's just more of that advanced technology.

And that globe in the background of your avatar obviously is a spaceship.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #2898
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
And then there is the following.

Santa's home in Lapland, Finland

NORAD tracks Santa

Meeting Santa any day of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post
You're Canadian!?! But you said that "After all, the North Pole is part of my country." I wrote 'Greenland,' but my first guess was Atlantis, as there is no permanent land mass at the north pole.
This is the true and great tragedy of our global warming, as, if it continues, Santa's home at the North Pole will melt!!!!! However, for now the ice and glaciers appear to provide adequate footing. (runs off to find that picture I found somewhere)

Quote:
Originally Posted by al
And that globe in the background of your avatar obviously is a spaceship.
Well, since interpretation lies in the eye of the beholder, it could also be a quonset hut, as

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
The northernmost settlement in Canada and in the world is Canadian Forces Station (CFS) Alert on the northern tip of Ellesmere Island—latitude 82.5°N—just 817 kilometres (450 nautical miles, 508 miles) from the North Pole.
But these ruminations on cultural affairs has led to this Tolkien possibility. Those who have diligently studied and researched the Santa legends and myths--all in the utmost purpose of finding a good Christmas avatar, mind--have found many comparisons to Odin in the northern legends. Here's a 19th C German painting of Odin:

Now, doesn't that resemble a certain wizard of Middle-earth? I wonder, could Santa really be Gandalf in the seventh age? What a come down! Thoroughly in keeping with the long defeat, though. I may have found my Christmas avatar for this coming December.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:32 PM   #2899
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Now, doesn't that resemble a certain wizard of Middle-earth? I wonder, could Santa really be Gandalf in the seventh age? What a come down!
I'm more inclined to think Santa is Tom Bombadil in the seventh age. Not too far from "hey dol merry dol" to "ho ho ho, Merry Christmas."

Last edited by Ibrîniðilpathânezel; 01-22-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Ibrîniðilpathânezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:45 PM   #2900
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Radagast surely had the ability to speak 'reindeer.' "On Donner, on Blitzen, on Turin and Hurin, on Bombur, on Fili..."

And Bb, 508 miles south of the North Pole is not just a hop-skip-and jump away, regardless of the color of your boots.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:51 PM   #2901
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrîniðilpathânezel View Post
I'm more inclined to think Santa is Tom Bombadil in the seventh age. Not too far from "hey dol merry dol" to "ho ho ho, Merry Christmas."

Of course, we would then have to determine just who/what is Tom Bombadil, in order to consider whether this would be evidence of the long defeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar
Radagast surely had the ability to speak 'reindeer.' "On Donner, on Blitzen, on Turin and Hurin, on Bombur, on Fili..."
I bow to such sagacity. Although didn't Gandalf say of Radagast that he was not much of a traveller (unless driven by great need)?

At this rate, I shall have to look for an avatar of Fëanor or some other illustrious elf decked out in North Pole workshop fare.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:54 PM   #2902
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
That is drawn by you? Wooow! *bows in awe*

As Legate said, there are things forum-discussions and games will not reveal, until eventually...

Cool!
Lots of people draw their own avatars! Or...or I did, anyway.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:05 PM   #2903
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Lots of people draw their own avatars! Or...or I did, anyway.
That's all well and good for those with artistic talent, a description by no means applicable to me.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:10 PM   #2904
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
:I bow to such sagacity. Although didn't Gandalf say of Radagast that he was not much of a traveller (unless driven by great need)?
Once a year does not a traveller make.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:14 PM   #2905
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Hey Groin you could just take a photo of the picture instead of scanning it. Some people always do it.

Anyway when I first saw your avvie I thought it was nice, but knowing you've drawn it yourself makes it rather fantastic. Any chance we could see a bigger picture of it?
Or you could use Microsoft Paint. That's what I do, since I don't have a scanner or a camera.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:56 PM   #2906
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I see that focused your avvie for us, Gwath. Very nice, I've always thought your avvie was cool, but now its even better!
Old 01-22-2009, 09:07 PM   #2907
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

It was time for a new angle.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:37 PM   #2908
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Title #894

Quote:
I see that focused your avvie for us, Gwath. Very nice, I've always thought your avvie was cool, but now its even better!
Agreed. I would draw my own avvies, but the resolution/size always gets to me. I guess I'll just have to settle for a friend's photo that Faceobok oh so graciously resized for me (for free too! )
Old 01-23-2009, 12:50 PM   #2909
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Frankly my dear, and fiddle-dee-dee, I'm thinking Kitanna's avatar is just the cutest thing in shoe-leather.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:10 PM   #2910
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
I suspect your googling has shown you that it is one of those gutter spellings so prevalent now in Canada which appear to rehearse the early derivation of the word from the ME eves or OE efes without of course going so far as to reproduce the OE f.
Yes I have to admit that I was a little disappointed since while e(a)ves trough is a prettier name than guttering , I was thinking on the lines of Eve's pudding and imagining that it were some kind of superior window box/hanging basket/garden trough...

Old 01-24-2009, 10:16 PM   #2911
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

I've noticed Pitchwife's avatar is very cute.

Quote:
Frankly my dear, and fiddle-dee-dee,
I like your use of "fiddle-dee-dee" Lalaith.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:02 AM   #2912
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
So, I finally looked at Sally's avatar long enough to figure out what it is and says, and it's pretty darned amazing.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:53 PM   #2913
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
What exactly is Nogrod's avatar?

Dury, I went to find Sally so that I could see the amazing avatar, but he/she/it was not in the member's list.

Last edited by Folwren; 02-08-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Folwren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:00 AM   #2914
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Nogrod's avatar is a South Park style version of himself.

Sally is the not-immediately-self-evident-but-a-great-deal-snappier nickname of Satansaloser. It is the one with the Lion King poster modifies to say "Hamlet with a happy ending"

Old 02-09-2009, 10:33 AM   #2915
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Sally is the not-immediately-self-evident-but-a-great-deal-snappier nickname of Satansaloser. It is the one with the Lion King poster modifies to say "Hamlet with a happy ending"
The not-immediately-self-evident-but-a-great-deal-snappier nickname of satansaloser2005, you mean?

As a sidenote, it always delights me to see Greenie's and Fea's avatars in close proximity. They match nicely.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:50 PM   #2916
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
The not-immediately-self-evident-but-a-great-deal-snappier nickname of satansaloser2005, you mean?
As a sidenote, it always delights me to see Greenie's and Fea's avatars in close proximity. They match nicely.
Since there are not Satansalosers1 to 2004 and 2006 upwards I think it is perfectly clear who I mean without such pedantry. I didn't have time to check the numeral but though I was being clear enough. So much for trying to be helpful

Old 02-10-2009, 01:52 PM   #2917
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Since there are not Satansalosers1 to 2004 and 2006 upwards I think it is perfectly clear who I mean without such pedantry. I didn't have time to check the numeral but though I was being clear enough. So much for trying to be helpful
Oh, I'm sure Foley understood it from what you said. I just tried to be funny.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:29 AM   #2918
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Aha! Thank you, Mith, for answering my questions. I THOUGHT Nogrod's avatar was something akin to Southpark, but I've never watched it, so I could not be sure.

And now that I know who Sally is, I know what to look for.

-- Folwren
Old 02-12-2009, 11:46 AM   #2919
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Nor really my preferred viewing but Brinniel did a load of South Park downers on Facebook where I do use mine as an avatar and I think Nogrod's is another of her crafting.

Though I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong...

Old 02-13-2009, 10:16 AM   #2920
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitanna View Post
I've noticed Pitchwife's avatar is very cute.
Belated thanks for the appreciation, Kitanna! It's a photo of my dog Seamus who died last year, the poor darling. He was even cuter in real life.

As for me, I find Formendacil's Julius Caesar very fitting - meaning it nicely fits both his screen-name and the Dead Seriousness. Also I'm a long-time Asterix fan.