The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-20-2003, 11:40 AM   #1
dunadan_aragorn
Wight

dunadan_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to dunadan_aragorn
Sting Legolas vs. Aragorn

I'm as much of a Legolas fan as the next person, but I think Legolas has started to overshadow Aragorn. In FotR Legolas's part was just right, but in ttt he is beginning to overshadow Aragorn, Gimli, Gandalf even! Aragorn has a much bigger purpose, Legolas is just the elf whos sees farther and doesnt leave footprints in snow. Anyone else care to comment?
dunadan_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 11:48 AM   #2
King_Elessar
Haunting Spirit

King_Elessar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that Legolas matters more to some people, but I do agree with you. Legolas definatly overshadows Gimli, but not Aragorn or Gandalf (I think). Legolas' parrt in TTT is good, but I think PJ has left out Gimli too much,apart from PJ's humor in Gimli - which is not needed.<P>Bye, Elessar.
I see in your eyes, the same fear, that would take the heart of me. A day may come, when the courage of men fails. When we forsake our friends, and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day. This day...we fight!
King_Elessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 11:56 AM   #3
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aragorn had far more screen time then Legolas and far more important dialogue as far as driving the plot.<P>Perhaps Legolas overshadowed Gimli but it was close. It depends on how you rate comic relief. <P>Gandalf was not there for a lot of it, more or less following the story in the book (yes I know Gandalf doesn't leave to a bit later in the book ). Legolas was with Aragorn through most of the picture, so it makes sense that he is precieved as being more visible.<P>As far as the balance between these four characters, I think it's about right. In my opinion, what's more noticable is the lack of hobbit time, especially Merry and Pippin. Though, I'm hoping this is rectified in RoTK or in the special edition of TTT.<P>H.C.
Old 01-21-2003, 06:28 AM   #4
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I don't believe that Movielas is overshadowing Moviegorn, except in the lovelorn eyes of certain star-struck moviegoers. He has not been allowed any real character development (with the excellent excuse that he <I>has</I> no character), and I think that his main function is as advisor and friend to Aragorn. He enables us to see that Aragorn is not some grubby no-name with no mates. Legolas points out Aragorn's heritage to us, and in TTT points out how brave he is for staying to help Rohan. In FOTR he even nicely helps out by taking one of Aragorn's lines for him - pointing out crebain for Dunland (with the notable handicap of never having been there). Hey, wait! Maybe you're right!!!
Old 01-21-2003, 07:23 AM   #5
sweetandcutedevil

Silmaril

I think Legolas is brilliant, although Gandalf is brilliant as well! I think Legolas is fit and cute!!!!
Old 01-21-2003, 09:53 AM   #6
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't particualry like Legolas and I don't really hate him. Aragorn, is my favourite character though. The majority of peoeple with a I.Q that is over 50, and who don't babble on about how "Orly-the bowman is really fit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hehehehheheh! Umm, he's mine! all mine! heheheh!" Aragron was the main man, so to speak, in TTT, and I hope he remains so in RoTK.

"Life is so beautiful"-&gt;Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 10:49 AM   #7
marcusw

Sting

Since Prof Tolkien wrote in "The Fall of Gondolin" that Legolas Greenleaf helped them<BR>escape over the plain, why does "Orly" say that Legolas has never seen death before and is confused by it?<P>Has he read "The Lost Tales?"
Old 01-21-2003, 10:54 AM   #8
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Speaking of Lost Tales, I'm not sure we should take what's written in those books to be 100% accurate. Alas, Tolkien died with so many questions left unanswered.<P>Anyway, I disagree entirely that Legolas is overshadowing Aragorn and even Gimli. Legolas and Gimli have both saved Aragorn's life in the film. And Aragorn does have all the important lines and characterization.
Old 01-21-2003, 04:05 PM   #9
GARY-the-White
Pile O'Bones

GARY-the-White has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GARY-the-White
Shield

1st of all i wanna toss this out, stupid maybe but here it goes who do u think would win a fight between each other aragorn(who kiks all major azz) or legolas with mad bow skills. As for the topic i dont belive legolas or gimlii over shadow aragorn gimlii is most overshadowd but think of it this way who would you rather see legolas kiking but or a short dwarf with an axe dont get me wrong i like gimlii alot but id rather see more screen time of aragorn and legolas

I am GaRYtheWHiTe brother of Gandalf and if by my life or death i can protect you i will

GćR„théWH”Tė
GARY-the-White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 01:20 AM   #10
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

<p>[ January 22, 2003: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 04:49 AM   #11
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Note: The lost tales should not be taken into the LoTR and 77 Silmarillion legendarium. <P>The Legolas Greenleaf in FoG, was a Noldorin elf, who 'remained in Erresea'. It is problably Tolkien re-using a character, like Gimli the blind Dwarf, who is also in BoLT 2.<P>Oh, and Gary, a Legolas vs Aragron would be stupid. Each has his own skill. A better fight would be say Aragron vs Boromir or Legolas vs Beleg, though Beleg would win.<p>[ January 22, 2003: Message edited by: Inderjit Sanghera ]

Old 01-22-2003, 07:53 AM   #12
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Each one has a bow and arrow so unless they were in direct combat, who's to say? In a one-on-one blade fight Aragorn has the strength but Legolas has the speed so I guess it could come down to who got a better night's sleep the previous day.<P>And anyway, Aragorn has this whole deal about being the rightful King of Gondor, etc. Who is Legolas? Just a random Elf that is tagging along? There's no doubt that Aragorn is more important in the film.
Old 01-22-2003, 11:07 AM   #13
Isenna
Pile O'Bones

Isenna has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think maybe a little less of Legolas (my sister's going to kill me for saying that), more of Gimli. That way Aragorn stays the way he is, Legolas backs down, and we all get to see what's left out of our favortie dwarf. OR, just more of Gimli and Aragorn. I didn't really notice a problem with this, except for Gimli being seen as helpless most of the time. Then again Aragorn is my favorite character and I just relished every moment he had. (On a side note, has anyone seen 28 Days? I was not really impressed with Viggo in that movie, it makes me sad. Maybe he doesn't play flakes well, or maybe it was that accent?)
Isenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 11:47 AM   #14
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Forget the three of them. I wanna see more Hobbits! <P>Seriously though, if RoTK stays semi-true to the spirit of the book, we should see Legolas and Gimli drop a bit more into the background. Of course Aragorn remains important, but we should see more of the Hobbits then we saw in TTT.<P>H.C.<p>[ January 22, 2003: Message edited by: HCIsland ]
Old 01-22-2003, 01:32 PM   #15
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Not more Hobbits-more Pippin and Merry. For me the Sam and Frodo scenes were the most boring part in the book. That being said they were still a very good read.

Old 01-22-2003, 01:51 PM   #16
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

legolas the book character was kind of boring...fantastic at fighting and everything but not the most brilliant character. <BR>orlando bloom however is a different story, he can overshadow anyone he likes!<BR>to be serious though, i dont compare the book and the film as the same story anymore really, they are too different
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 01:51 PM   #17
Hirilaelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Hirilaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, <B>I</B> don't think that Legolas overshdowed Aragorn or Gimli. In fact, I think his role was just perfect. And humor? YAY! It doesn't really need to be so soleum. I have heard many complaints though about how TTT takes away from the hobbits roles, which I think is wrong. In TTT, it is not all about the hobbits. Only half the book or less is about the hobbits! But anyway, I'm getting off the subject. Legolas did not overshadow Gimli, Aragorn, or Gandalf. When I read the book, most of the time, Legolas was not even mentioned, except when he said some weird stuff about red suns and when he walked on snow. <P>My final answer: His part was fine.<P>P.S. RATE ME PLEASE!
Hirilaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 05:00 PM   #18
lanrete
Pile O'Bones

lanrete has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think Legolas' part in the movie was sufficient and to say that he overshadowed Aragorn is madness:P We all know he's THE King. Just because Legolas had more cool moves doesn't mean we think any less of Aragorn Legolas-in-books might not have been as exciting as Legolas-in-movie but he's definitely not a boring character(to me at least). The only character I dislike in the books is Frodo.. he just didnt seem very likeable.
lanrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 07:27 PM   #19
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dūm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think they had to show someone who could go past human standards, just to make the movie better.<P>Burzdol
Old 05-27-2003, 09:27 PM   #20
dwalin

Sting

I don't think Legolas eclipsed Aragorn or Gimli...certain crazed fans just pay more attention to Orlando. Also, I thought that Merry and Pippin got enough time in TTT. After all, we don't see much of their character development until they get assigned to Theoden and Denethor. I always thought of their role in TTT as more of a "survivalist" kinda thing where they have been cut off from their guardians and forced to survive. Their only meaningful development or influence in TTT is their "rousing" of the ents. I could be wrong though...
Old 05-29-2003, 11:13 AM   #21
Lucinda
Animated Skeleton

Lucinda has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Actually, Eomer of the Rohirrim, Legolas was a prince. Not a very important one, buit still royalty. i'm sur you knew that, you just forgot, and thought that he was a random elf.<BR>
Old 05-30-2003, 08:26 PM   #22
dunadan_aragorn
Wight

dunadan_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to dunadan_aragorn
Sting

Oh, I see your point.<p>[ May 30, 2003: Message edited by: dunadan_aragorn ]
dunadan_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 01:47 PM   #23
babsies
Pile O'Bones

babsies has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i think that the only reason why legolas appears to have a bigger part then aragorn is because of the actor's looks. if they picked an uglyer actor then he wouldnt appear so prevelant in the movie(did i spell prevelant right?)
Old 06-03-2003, 04:46 AM   #24
Drizzt Do'Urden

Sting

maybe i'm worng about this, but i think that aragorn still has a bigger part than legolas. legolas's just seems bigger b/c it's larger than it was in the books.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:26 AM   #25
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Of course Aragorn has a bigger part, but Legolas is made to seem a bit "high up" and more important than he was in the books, I think.<P>~Menelien
Old 06-03-2003, 08:01 PM   #26
balrogman
Wight

balrogman has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

the only reason why it seems bigger is cause its bigger than in the books, but thats because PJ probably saw how many chicks like him and he said"hmmm if i put more legolas in the movie, more chicks will go see it and then ill be swimming in money!"(well maybe not exactly like that ) and then they expanded his role!
Old 06-09-2003, 06:49 AM   #27
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Of course Aragorn has a bigger part, but Legolas is made to seem a bit "high up" and more important than he was in the books, I think. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yeah, I quite agree with you. But I think that Legolas had an inportant role in the books too. Legolas became so good freinds with Gimli, and that was taken notice of, by me (I don't know if anyone else feel the same way). Because the elves and the dwarves weren't "supposed" to be "freinds". I don't know if yu know what I mean....<P>~Orofāniel~<P>
Old 06-10-2003, 12:52 AM   #28
Frodo 007
Haunting Spirit

Location: Wellington, New Zealand (Middle-Earth Baby Yeah!!!)
Frodo 007 has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Gimli should of had more screen time!!!Even though it was such a big improvement from FOTR, i still think he should of had more!!!He is such a great character!!!
Old 07-21-2003, 12:30 PM   #29
Elentįri
Wight

Elentįri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Too true, Frodo 007...<BR>And it's 'prevalent' I think<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I don't particualry like Legolas and I don't really hate him. Aragorn, is my favourite character though. The majority of peoeple with a I.Q that is over 50, and who don't babble on about how "Orly-the bowman is really fit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hehehehheheh! Umm, he's mine! all mine! heheheh!" Aragron was the main man, so to speak, in TTT, and I hope he remains so in RoTK. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>*Clears throat* OI! I love Orlando Bloom's Legolas! I also think that Aragorn is the more important character! And I have an IQ over 50! And I don't babble like that that much...well I try not to anyway But even with all the attention I was paying to Legolas, I think Aragorn still came out as the stronger character, though yes it was annoying how Gimli was almost the object of ridicule. And I think that Frodo in the film has been portrayed too weak and helpless...he was able to stand up for himself a bit more in the book, like at Weathertop and the Ford.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:51 PM   #30
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dūm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I don't particualry like Legolas and I don't really hate him. Aragorn, is my favourite character though. The majority of people with a I.Q that is over 50, and who don't babble on about how "Orly-the bowman is really fit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hehehehheheh! Umm, he's mine! all mine! heheheh!" Aragorn was the main man, so to speak, in TTT, and I hope he remains so in RoTK.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P>*laughs* I completely agree. Elessar is my favourite too.

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 11:21 PM   #31
Nehani
Haunting Spirit

Nehani has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nehani
Tolkien

I agree that Legolas' character int he movie did over-shadowed Gimli, I don't think it over-shadowed Aaragorn. About the "Orly" fangirl thing, I have two friends of that type. If you walk up to one of them and say "he is ugly" she will either a: filp you off, or b: attempt to strangle you. Maybe I should call her more of an "orly" obsessor.

"The Way Is Closed. It Was Made By Those Who are Dead. The Way is Closed."
Nehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 02:18 PM   #32
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

Ok this topic is just silly but I am going to give my opinion anyway. I don't think that Legolas is overshadowing Aragorn at all. Everyone and their brother knows that Aragorn is Isildur's heir but no one seems to care that Legolas is the Prince of Eyrn Lasgallen. (Green Wood the Great) Poor Legolas never got any credit for who he is, not in the books and not in the movie. :walks out slams door:

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 12:16 PM   #33
Nehani
Haunting Spirit

Nehani has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nehani
Tolkien

I agree. Everybody thinks that Legolas is just another Elf roaming around Middle-earth. No respect. He's a freakin prince people!<P>Nehani of the Forests

"The Way Is Closed. It Was Made By Those Who are Dead. The Way is Closed."
Nehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 10:04 PM   #34
Roccotari Eldandil
Haunting Spirit

Roccotari Eldandil has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Legolas's role in TTT just seemed bigger because there were a lot more battles in that movie than there were in FotR. [as I see it,]Legolas was in the Fellowship primarily to do sniper duty. Therefore, when there are more bad guys to see/kill, Legolas gets to do more stuff. Or maybe PJ wanted to give Legolas a bunch of scenes before he gets overshadowed by Aragorn in <I>Return of the <B>King</B></I>!!!! The 3rd book <I>is</I> named for Aragorn, so hopefully PJ will pay more attention to him. And the hobbits too. If their stories aren't done right I'll kill something...
Old 07-23-2003, 11:08 PM   #35
Failariel

Pipe

I know I am the upteenth one to say it, but i do not think Legolas overshadows Aragorn, just seems to appear much more in TTT. if he is overshadowing anyone, it is our favorite dwarf, Gimli, whom, I think we can all agree on this one, seems to have always been the most overshadowed character in the Fellowship in both movies. But that doesnt make him any less like by me!!!I think the fact that Legolas and Aragorn are together so much in TTT just makes it seem like Legolas is stepping up, but I think thats because the Fellowship is so split up now. Anyway, just my opinion! To all their own, I suppose!
Old 07-24-2003, 05:27 PM   #36
Mauthak the Blood-Axe

Ring

I have to say I don't really agree that Legolas is overshadowing Aragorn....I think the movies still make it pretty clear that Aragorn is "the guy" and Legolas, along with Gimli and to a certain extent, Gandalf are helping him to reach his appointed place. The thing is however, Legolas' special skills are portrayed awesomely. The keen eyesight and the bowmanship and stuff. I have to say Legolas is the MVP of the fellowship (I especially like the part where he's firing on the wargs and does that crazy thing to hop up on his horse) but I feel Aragorn is given his due for sure.....I don't really like how Gimli is used for laughs though....it seems between the two movies his character has instantaneously changed. At the end of fellowship he's still pretty much a cranky cantankerous dwarf but almost from the get-go of TTT he's comic relief.....blah.....still UBER pumped for ROTK though
Old 07-25-2003, 05:10 PM   #37
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>still UBER pumped for ROTK though!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Oh yes.. <P>Welcome to the Downs, Mauthak and Filariel! Enjoy being dead! <P>-Arwen<p>[ July 25, 2003: Message edited by: Arwen Eruantale ]

Will you pay attention?
Old 07-26-2003, 03:39 PM   #38
Alaruid

Silmaril

Hello. I think Legolas overshadowed Gimli a lot. And just so you know, I think the Orlando Bloom craze is nuts, and Aragorn is WAY better in the movies. He IS a King after all, AND a ranger. That's enough for me. Toodles. <P>-Alaruid the Wanderer
Old 07-26-2003, 03:51 PM   #39
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

Welcome to the Downs, Alaruid!

Will you pay attention?
Old 01-09-2004, 08:46 AM   #40
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thought I'd revive this, now that ROTK is out...and it was funny seeing my old post (I was Elentįri).<P>I still think Aragorn is more important than Leggy both in the books and the movies, although Leggy without a doubt gets the better stunts. <BR>I was pleased to see that Legolas was treated more as a prince at the coronation than just a random Elf.<BR>As for why we all love the Elf? Who knows?! It isn't like you can really help it anyway...but it's up to you how much you obssess over it or whatever. The screams and stuff really are rather uncontrollable, I'm afraid!<BR>Actually, there isn't too much point in reviving this because so few people thought Leggy did overshadow Aragorn. But I did get the impression that there was even less Gimli this time. Or was that just me?