The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2014, 09:10 PM   #1
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien Tolkien and World War I

As today is the centennial anniversary of the start of World War I, I have been working today on a post drawing from Tolkien's letters and other writings about how his experiences helped shape his writings.

Alas, my save file became corrupted and I lost what I was working on.

So instead I mark the day by leaving a quote by him of what it was like when he left Edith to join the B.E.F.

Quote:
Parting from my wife then ... it was like a death
-Taken from Tolkien and the Great War by John Garth
Old 07-29-2014, 06:55 AM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
As a general observation, I see echoes of the trenches in the Battle of the Pelennor, and, just maybe, of dogfighting Sopwith Camels and Albatroses in the aerial conflict between the foes in the War of Wrath.

Quote:
But Eärendil came, shining with white flame, and about Vingilot were gathered all the birds of heaven and Thorondor was their captain, and there was battle in the air all the day and through a dark night of doubt.
The Silmarillion Of the Voyage of Eärendil

I can see Tolkien gazing into the sky at spitting machine gun rounds and smoking aircraft, thinking of the ruin of Morgoth. Probably only a fanciful imagining of my part, though.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:21 AM   #3
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
And JRRT lost two of his three close schoolboy chums (of the T.C.B.S.) in the war.