The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-14-2007, 08:29 PM   #1
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
What characters do your friends and family identify with?

(Woo woo! 5,000th post)

There has been plenty of sharing about what characters we Downers identify with.

What characters from the books do your friends and family identify with? And what are their reasons?

I have two specific examples, and in both cases there has been change over time.

My older brother identified with Aragorn when he was in high school and college, then with Gandalf as a young adult. Now he identifies with Faramir. I find it interesting that he always identifies with what he admires most. With Aragorn it was leadership and nobility. With Gandalf it was wisdom and power. With Faramir it was leadership and wisdom.

A close friend of mine used to identify with Faramir when he was younger, largely for the same reasons as my brother does now. Lately he has switched his identification to Tom Bombadil, because he is lord in his realm, totally in harmony with it, and he knows its borders. My friend is a lot like that, literally.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:51 PM   #2
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
My husband the hunter-archer doesn't mind being called Strider. But while watching Fellowship, he identified most with Boromir, because of his fall and redeemption.

My boys just want to do cool stunts like Legolas. "Mommy, Legolas can shoot THREE arrows all at the same time."
Old 09-15-2007, 04:14 AM   #3
smeagollives
Animated Skeleton

smeagollives has just left Hobbiton.
One of my cousins looks like Pippin (well... no... actually like Billy Boyd) and TO MY MIND he also acts like Pippin (he is one of the persons who cannot be serious for longer than five minutes a day). However he does not like to be called "Pippin".

I am not sure if there is a special person i identify with. I sometimes have the sick desire to identify with Gollum ...
Well but i think if i lived i middle earth i would be a Hobbit. Whole my family would consist of Hobbits. The men in middle earth are far to noble for my taste.

Last edited by smeagollives; 09-15-2007 at 04:17 AM.
smeagollives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:19 AM   #4
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
As an avid needlewoman, I do identify with Arwen - BookArwen, mind you, not MovieArwen. I used to have a quote from the "Tale of Aragorn and Arwen", Appendix A, as my signature - as a matter of fact, I still use it on the German Tolkien Society's site:
Quote:
Arwen remained in Rivendell, and when Aragorn was abroad, from afar she watched over him in thought;
and in hope she made for him a great and kingly standard...
I know she is much belittled by numerous fans who find her too passive, but creative textile art is a wonderful thing, and very symbolic and powerful in her case. Like her, I prefer to make something for a specific person, with individual meaning to it.

Of course, it's not bad to look younger than one is, and nice to have a dark-haired heroine in a blonde-worshipping world...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:59 PM   #5
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Sorry to be depressing...

I would quote from a post I made long ago in "Are you a better person?" about my mother:
We knew her cancer was terminal from diagnosis, but she went through so much against the odds and won a little precious remission. I had long ago learnt by heart Sam's song in Cirith Ungol and I had copied it for her. And it really summed up her attitude - she kept on going in the face of what was logically a hopeless situation.

However she was like Frodo in that ultimately the burden was hers and we could only try to carry her.

More cheerfully I identified with Eowyn when I first read the books - I spent just about all my freetime either reading or at the stables in those days and never accepted that I shouldn't do things because I was a girl.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:22 PM   #6
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Strangely enough, I think my Mom identifies with Elrond. Book Elrond. Her house is wonderful to be in and one always gets to rest there - she keeps things very stress free as much as she can - and there's wonderful food. She has great wisdom to give you if you ask for it, or will listen to it. My brother and sister-in-law who live many, many miles away calls our property Rivendell, and home is, to them, The Last Homely House.

My older sister has often told me that she identifies herself to Eowyn. I do not believe it's so much the struggling with being a girl thing that she has...but the waiting for the right man and the learning to be content. She has struggled with depression (I believe) and when she first read the books she greatly understood Eowyn going to battle in search of death.

That's all I can think of just now.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:42 PM   #7
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
I would quote from a post I made long ago in "Are you a better person?" about my mother:
We knew her cancer was terminal from diagnosis, but she went through so much against the odds and won a little precious remission. I had long ago learnt by heart Sam's song in Cirith Ungol and I had copied it for her. And it really summed up her attitude - she kept on going in the face of what was logically a hopeless situation.

However she was like Frodo in that ultimately the burden was hers and we could only try to carry her.
Not so depressing really; but quite moving. Thanks for sharing it. Words do not express well.... it puts me in mind of the Grey Havens....
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 03:24 AM   #8
Halbarad-Ir

My Character

Well, my family aren't so interested in Tolkien, but my Tolkien related friends, usually call me Halbi!!! (in rhyme with Ebi)
But some of them also call me Turin or Turambar which is my other loved character in Tolkien books!
Hey, is there any one who doesn't remember who Halbarad was?
Old 10-13-2007, 04:33 AM   #9
smeagollives
Animated Skeleton

smeagollives has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post

More cheerfully I identified with Eowyn when I first read the books - I spent just about all my freetime either reading or at the stables in those days and never accepted that I shouldn't do things because I was a girl.

That is so very sad. Iu always think that people with cancer are being so very brave. I know i would not be able to bear this... and i guess i would not be able to lose my mother like this without going crazy (she died in a car accident. This was also very tough... but i know she did not have to suffer much).
smeagollives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:11 PM   #10
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
My old man usually identifies me with Feanor, but often he says "Feanor without the Silmarilli" because I suppose I have yet to do something impressive to the point of highly remarkable for the family standard. And for some reasons best known to him, he thinks that I have the pride, temper, and the swearing thing of Feanor. Ah well. I'm not complaining. Feanor is my favorite character. Add the fact that we both have raven hair.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote