The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-17-2014, 12:09 PM   #1
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Aragorn's Take On the Movies

This is an article about Viggo Mortensen discussing his opinion of the LOTR films. Seems I've heard similar criticisms before. Must have been on TORN.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:26 PM   #2
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Good stuff, that article. Worth a read.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:33 PM   #3
Zigűr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigűr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigűr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Seems I've heard similar criticisms before. Must have been on TORN.
Amusingly I originally saw this article the other day when I was browsing TORN. Judging by the reactions to Mr. Mortensen's few rather mild remarks people there (and elsewhere) are still taking criticism of the films as personal attacks. Fans, eh?

I think he has a fair point. I would probably agree that "Fellowship" is the strongest item on the menu, but for my own part I still consider even that to be a very deeply flawed film with insurmountable obstacles in terms of characterisation and the handling of the backstory. Peter Jackson's predilection for CGI is more obvious than ever by this point, of course. I honestly don't see the difference these days between him and someone like Michael Bay: making boring long-winded CGI-candy action films with no substance.

I haven't watched them in ages out of fear for my sanity but I don't recall the CGI in the adaptations of The Lord of the Rings being as obvious as in the films of The Hobbit. Perhaps the earlier films used it more where necessary and to fill in the gaps between practical effects where in these new ones it's more front-centre as it were (I'm looking at you, "Azog").
Old 05-18-2014, 07:07 AM   #4
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigűr View Post
Amusingly I originally saw this article the other day when I was browsing TORN. Judging by the reactions to Mr. Mortensen's few rather mild remarks people there (and elsewhere) are still taking criticism of the films as personal attacks. Fans, eh?
Yeah. the TORN reference was certainly pointed. It seems that from the start of PJ's LOTR endeavors there has been that vocal element that howls with outrage when one dares question his motives or judgement.

Quote:
I think he has a fair point. I would probably agree that "Fellowship" is the strongest item on the menu, but for my own part I still consider even that to be a very deeply flawed film with insurmountable obstacles in terms of characterisation and the handling of the backstory. Peter Jackson's predilection for CGI is more obvious than ever by this point, of course. I honestly don't see the difference these days between him and someone like Michael Bay: making boring long-winded CGI-candy action films with no substance.
That's pretty much the way I view the films. To those who say "well, Jackson did the best he could", my response is ever "not enough". No one can impart the feel of the books in any other medium, at least to my mind, and that is why I see no need for anyone to try. It'll just result in watered-down, pale imitations that can't help looking like the standard Hollywood blockbuster with a thin sheen of good story, courtesy of Tolkien.

Quote:
I haven't watched them in ages out of fear for my sanity but I don't recall the CGI in the adaptations of The Lord of the Rings being as obvious as in the films of The Hobbit. Perhaps the earlier films used it more where necessary and to fill in the gaps between practical effects where in these new ones it's more front-centre as it were (I'm looking at you, "Azog").
I've only seen the LOTR films once all the way through. I thought CGI Gollum was actually about as close as one could possibly be to the "real" one, but the Balrog, and the Eye of Barad-dűr were garbage. I've seen enough of the Hobbit trailers to know that I want no part of it.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:58 AM   #5
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Yeah. the TORN reference was certainly pointed. It seems that from the start of PJ's LOTR endeavors there has been that vocal element that howls with outrage when one dares question his motives or judgement.
Yes, I often go to TORn just to have fun with the zealots. But there are several erudite posters over there as well, but they tend to stay out of the movie discussions altogether (for their own sanity, obviously) and merely analyze the books in their own segregated forum.

Quote:
I've only seen the LOTR films once all the way through. I thought CGI Gollum was actually about as close as one could possibly be to the "real" one, but the Balrog, and the Eye of Barad-dűr were garbage. I've seen enough of the Hobbit trailers to know that I want no part of it.
I actually liked the Balrog; after all, it did have wings as is canonically correct.

I often disparage Jackson, but there are many things he did right in the LotR films, and from a cinematographic standpoint I think he did fine. However, my stance is and always has been that Jackson's additions detracted from the movie and did not improve the plot over what was already in the books and not included in the films. Many people I have heard from over the years consider the first movie, FotR, as the best and the second, TTT, as the worst. Not surprisingly, the first movie had the least amount of additional drek (Warrior Princess Xenarwen the most notable) and the second had the most effluvia (right down to Aragorn kissing his horse amorously).

The Hobbit movies are more egregious in superfluous scripting of a fan-fic nature than all three LotR movies combined, even to the point of adding an unnecessary and ludicrous Mary-Sue character. Jackson has gone so overboard that the last vestiges of The Hobbit (and the alleged main character, Bilbo) were removed when the hobbit-centric title "There and Back Again", reflecting the unassuming nature of Bilbo Baggins, was changed to "The Battle of the Five Armies" which assumes the character of Jackson's juvenile love for decapitations, CGI swarming legions and explodey things.

Viggo was right. Jackson lacks subtlety.

Last edited by Morthoron; 05-18-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Morthoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:25 AM   #6
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

I saw a summation of this article on ew.com found it interesting, read the original article, and then couldn't resist coming to the Downs to see if the redirection problem had been sorted. Huzzah it seems to have been!

It is nice to see that at least one person involved in the production shares our dismay at how things turned out.

Recently I have been greatly (and I mean *greatly*) enjoying cruising around Song of Ice and Fire websites and discussions and laughing uproariously at all the rending of garments and gnashing of teeth going on in those locations regarding the changes the TV show has made to the story of the original stories.

It is hilarious!

I will, however, fully admit that my antics are entirely motivated by schadenfreude in watching what we suffered (and until this last Hobbit abomination is over are still suffering) happen to somebody else.

It is still a world of fun...especially watching the unfolding hand wringing and worry about whether or not the TV show will pass the books (spoiler alert: it will, and in one respect it already has.) At least we Tolkien fans never had to suffer through that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
I actually liked the Balrog; after all, it did have wings as is canonically correct.
Tsk.

Last edited by Kuruharan; 05-19-2014 at 11:08 AM. Reason: I forgot my snark! O.O
Kuruharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:39 PM   #7
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe Viggo got it right.

Yeah, the effects took over. I guess itas why I can still manage to watch Fellowship every couple years or so.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:19 AM   #8
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
I will, however, fully admit that my antics are entirely motivated by schadenfreude in watching what we suffered (and until this last Hobbit abomination is over are still suffering) happen to somebody else.
I know what you mean, brother, I know.

I have a major issue with Peter Jackson's lack of subtlety (among other things), and I feel sort of justified (not that I need a justification, but even so) knowing that somebody massively involved in the production agrees.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:28 AM   #9
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dűm

Lotrelf has just left Hobbiton.
Was he appreciating Peter Jackson or what? I didn't get... :/