The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-01-2003, 10:16 AM   #1
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting North, east, south, what?

I got very confused in that scene where Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli meet Éomer. When Éomer leaves with his men he says "Look for your friends, but do not trust the hope. It has forsaken these lands <I>We ride north!!" </I>.<P>The Fellowship broke near of the falls of Rauros.A,L and G headed to the Fangorn forest after the Uruk-hai so they travelled to north-west (I'm looking at my M-E map now). They met Éomer somewhere near of Fangorn. In the movie A,L and G run across a hill and hide behind a rock. Rohirrim appear behind that hill (well, you know that scene) so they are riding south-east.<P>When they leave they don't head to north like Éomer said but something like to east or north-east. Am I a)wrong b)nit-picking or c)have I messed up with the point of the compass ? But that really confuses/annoys me.<P>I have noticed that the 'easterlings coming from south' thing have upset some of the Downers but I'm not participating in that conversation. But feel free to do so here.<P>ps.Legolas trips twice (or so it seems)<p>[ September 02, 2003: Message edited by: dancing spawn of ungoliant ]
Old 09-01-2003, 10:42 AM   #2
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I honestly can't see how you can tell which direction Eomer rides off in considering they circle Aragorn and company. How can you keep track of which direction is what?<P>Editted to add: Oh wait, I see what you mean. Considering they are approaching the south-east corner of Fangorn, I think describing the general course of the journey into The Wold as north would be about right even though it may be north-by-north-east. I guess next time Eomer should give a compass bearing. <P>And has been noted in another thread, Easterlings coming from the south is not wrong if they took the Harad road. I think the only honest screw up with direction is when Legalas says, "they are heading north-east to Isengard." Oops.<P>H.C.<p>[ September 01, 2003: Message edited by: HCIsland ]
Old 09-01-2003, 11:03 AM   #3
Elentári
Wight

Elentári has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ok, I'm really bad at directions...so should they have been heading north-west to Isengard then? And I'm doing geography gcse!!! Oh well... <BR>About that scene, they shouldn't have been riding north anyhow. In the book they came from the north! And they were riding back south or something...
Old 09-01-2003, 01:47 PM   #4
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>...so should they have been heading north-west to Isengard then?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Yes.<BR> <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>About that scene, they shouldn't have been riding north anyhow. In the book they came from the north! And they were riding back south or something.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Huh? Yes, the Eorlings came from north - but that was some 500 years ago. Eomér & his men are only trying to get away from the bannish they got. Riding back south? How do you figure?
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 10:55 AM   #5
Sauron 666
Haunting Spirit

Sauron 666 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I guess PJ and cew aren't very adept in basic geography, now I know who NOT to go on a camping trip with
Sauron 666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 12:00 PM   #6
Elentári
Wight

Elentári has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well I 'figured' (hehehe, what a funny word!!!) it from the fact that Aragorn hailed Éomer and said 'What news from the North?' From that I took it that the Riders had just ridden from the North. And they were continuing south. But I could be wrong.<p>[ September 02, 2003: Message edited by: Elentári ]
Old 09-02-2003, 12:36 PM   #7
Finnguala
Wight

Finnguala has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Whoa! You people are VERY confusing... <P>But what I wanted to say is this:<P>"Riders of Rohan! What news from the <B>Mark</B>?!" (is what Aragorn said)<P>So, it hasn't anything to do with North or South or whatever... (no offense!!!!!! )