The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2020, 02:10 PM   #361
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Ha! Didn't realise that. Nice catch.

Certainly nothing to feel sorry for.

Otherwise - watching the Living Thread for the last, what, over an hour, I haven't had so much fun in ages. It looks like out of a stageplay of something by Franz Kafka.
This is going to be a little Other-Fandom as a comment, but it's like watching the Jedi bumble their way through the Clone Wars knowing what Palpatine's up to--they keep coming SO close!
Old 06-11-2020, 02:12 PM   #362
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Also, empowering Rikae means Lommy is a wolf. If Rikae votes for Mac or Kath, I'm comfortable with Mediumizing them or Pitch (points to Mac). Definitely not going to empower Lommy (points to Kath).
Old 06-11-2020, 02:17 PM   #363
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure View Post
Shasta very much. Sally maybe. Brinn I find unlikely. I think you're too quick to discard Pitch as a cobbler.
I'm reading this as "hey pack, let's all vote Shasta."
Old 06-11-2020, 02:17 PM   #364
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Guardian View Post
Some day I want to mod a game.
Well, once this is over...?

The rules say mods have to have seven games under their belt and I don't think I do. However, modding would be significantly easier than playing.

But if I do mod I think I'd make a rule that the living can't communicate with the dead.
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom

Last edited by Blind Guardian; 06-11-2020 at 02:20 PM.
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 02:19 PM   #365
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Shasta voted Mac. Every single innocent has to follow now, or the wolves can swing it.
Old 06-11-2020, 02:20 PM   #366
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
Shasta voted Mac. Every single innocent has to follow now, or the wolves can swing it.
On the plus side, if things come down to a tie, we can empower Shasta and the Mac-waggon win the tiebreaker.

So even if all the Wolves vote together, we only need one vote for Mac (and for the cobbler/other innocent to split their votes elsewhere).
Old 06-11-2020, 02:20 PM   #367
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

I think we need to tell the living that Lommy is a wolf. They don't seem to be suspecting her, like, at all. So if Rikae votes for Mac, I think we need to Mediumize them.
Old 06-11-2020, 02:25 PM   #368
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin View Post
I wasn't criticizing anything, I was giving a warning.
COME ON, SHASTA! (/uppercase)
Old 06-11-2020, 02:28 PM   #369
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta
Okay, Lommy/Mac for sure. Who's the third, do we think? Kath?
YES!

Also, we know from Greenie that neither Shasta, Nilp, or Rikae is the Ranger. If the innocents had only spotted her post, a Ranger reveal would net us 4 known innocents.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 02:32 PM   #370
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
WHAT ON EARTH ARE THEY DOING???????????????

Like - they were handed a dead wolf and a dead Seer in one go, and instead of trying to figure out who the remaining wolves (or at least previously dreamed innocents) are, they spend the entire Day debating increasingly convoluted ways to communicate with us? Seriously the wolves deserve to win this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottie
I think we need to tell the living that Lommy is a wolf. They don't seem to be suspecting her, like, at all. So if Rikae votes for Mac, I think we need to Mediumize them.
This makes sense. Which list are we using again? Rikae's? I lost track Basically I'm happy mediumising anyone who votes for Mac, extra points if it makes them look at Lommy too.

Quote:
If the Ranger is Shasta or Pitch, and they direct the innocents to vote for Mac or Kath, I'd be all for it.
Well we know it isn't Shasta (sadly, since a Ranger reveal might have made the rest of them listen to him ).
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 02:34 PM   #371
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
WHAT ON EARTH ARE THEY DOING???????????????

Like - they were handed a dead wolf and a dead Seer in one go, and instead of trying to figure out who the remaining wolves (or at least previously dreamed innocents) are, they spend the entire Day debating increasingly convoluted ways to communicate with us? Seriously the wolves deserve to win this one.
I'm with you on that one
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 02:37 PM   #372
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta
Rikae - I didn't go after you, I asked you a question. You answered. I was satisfied with that answer, so I moved on.
I tried that. Didn't work.

hS
Old 06-11-2020, 02:37 PM   #373
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Sting

“The right understanding of any matter and a misunderstanding of the same matter do not wholly exclude each other.”
― Franz Kafka, The Trial

Or how about this, borderline rude, but:

“They're talking about things of which they don't have the slightest understanding, anyway. It's only because of their stupidity that they're able to be so sure of themselves.”
― Franz Kafka, The Trial

Who would have known Kafka had such a profound knowledge of Werewolf? One could make an entire game just on these quotes! (Perhaps that's what you should do with the Ghost, Form! A pre-selected bunch of lines from some classics, and see what they can do.)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 06-11-2020, 02:37 PM   #374
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin View Post
Okay, Lommy/Mac for sure. Who's the third, do we think? Kath?
YESSSSSS GO Shasta GO!!!!!!
Old 06-11-2020, 02:38 PM   #375
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
(Perhaps that's what you should do with the Ghost, Form! A pre-selected bunch of lines from some classics, and see what they can do.)
You can only post the first sentence of any chapter of any work written by J.R.R. Tolkien.

hS
Old 06-11-2020, 02:39 PM   #376
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Who would have known Kafka had such a profound knowledge of Werewolf? One could make an entire game just on these quotes! (Perhaps that's what you should do with the Ghost, Form! A pre-selected bunch of lines from some classics, and see what they can do.)
Seconded.
Old 06-11-2020, 02:40 PM   #377
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

YES Sally voted with Shasta!!!
Old 06-11-2020, 02:40 PM   #378
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
You can only post the first sentence of any chapter of any work written by J.R.R. Tolkien.

hS
Actually perfect. *is tempted to go and start browsing to see whether there are any good ones, or some "overpowered" ones*
Old 06-11-2020, 02:42 PM   #379
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
Well, I trust Shasta. Not necessarily his judgement (on everyone at least), but I agree with him here, so let's put my money where my big ol' mouth is. The odds of Mac being a wolf outweigh my current suspicions of Kath.

++Mac

x'd since my last

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

(x-posted with a few)

++Shastanis Althedruin for the extra vote?
Old 06-11-2020, 02:42 PM   #380
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
YES Sally voted with Shasta!!!
THIS is why I dreamed Shasta Night 1! I figured he'd make a formidable ally if I knew I could trust him from the start.

Also Form? We need that ghost game.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
Old 06-11-2020, 02:44 PM   #381
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Yeah, the Ghost Game sounds like a ton of fun.

And I want to wait to see if Rikae votes for Mac. If they do, Mediumizing them tells the living that Lommy is a wolf. If they don't, Shasta deserves it for single handedly dragging the vote Mac's way.
Old 06-11-2020, 02:45 PM   #382
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Actually perfect. *is tempted to go and start browsing to see whether there are any good ones, or some "overpowered" ones*
I realised immediately that majority are about someone walking, riding, going or arriving somewhere. But not necessarily bad. There are other interesting ones, too. And many can be quite lengthy, which is fun.

For the current situation, I would propose:

"Pippin lay in a dark and troubled dream: it seemed that he could hear his own small voice echoing in black tunnels, calling Frodo, Frodo!"
Old 06-11-2020, 02:45 PM   #383
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
THIS is why I dreamed Shasta Night 1! I figured he'd make a formidable ally if I knew I could trust him from the start.

Also Form? We need that ghost game.
This is the summer for me to fall back into WW...

We'll probably need several drafts of rule rewrites.

(For one thing, I think paragraphs better than sentences, because then you're a lot more vague--"what part of this paragraph doe the ghost mean!!" is better than being able to narrow things down more.)

It would be quite strange after all these years to make the game MORE Tolkien-related.
Old 06-11-2020, 02:46 PM   #384
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Let's see how this develops, but Shasta could be nice empowerment (even it increased the chances he's killed the next), regardless of any version of the lists.

BUt let's still wait and see how this plays out.

There sure looks to be the two sides now - just some mist in between the borders of both camps.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 02:47 PM   #385
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Tolkien quotes are the obvious and best choice, but the one thing I LONG to say to the living right now is "Lord, what fools these mortals be."
Old 06-11-2020, 02:47 PM   #386
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
A nice 'we're doomed' one is Silm chapter 9:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Of the Flight of the Noldor
After a time a great concourse gathered about the Ring of Doom; and the Valar sat in shadow, for it was night.
And Silm 17 is good if you need to send a message about Nilp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Of the Coming of Men into the West
When three hundred years and more were gone since the Noldor came to Beleriand, in the days of the Long Peace, Finrod Felagund lord of Nargothrond journeyed east of Sirion and went hunting with Maglor and Maedhros, sons of Fėanor.
And I feel like this one is nicely nuanced, though not terribly useful:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Of Beren and Luthien
Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which amid weeping there is joy and under the shadow of death light that endures.
Edit: "You're listening to a fake!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akallabeth
It is said by the Eldar that Men came into the world in the time of the Shadow of Morgoth, and they fell swiftly under his dominion; for he sent his emissaries among them, and they listened to his evil and cunning words, and they worshipped the Darkness and yet feared it.
hS

Last edited by Huinesoron; 06-11-2020 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-11-2020, 02:49 PM   #387
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Sorry if I summarised it badly, what you say is how I read it. But I left Lottie and Nilp out of the summary bc they're not relevant right now.
Um, rude.
Old 06-11-2020, 02:50 PM   #388
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Let's see how this develops, but Shasta could be nice empowerment (even it increased the chances he's killed the next), regardless of any version of the lists.

BUt let's still wait and see how this plays out.

There sure looks to be the two sides now - just some mist in between the borders of both camps.
Granted, I don't WANT the Wolves to go after Shasta, but wouldn't it be better if they kill an Ordo tonight instead of the Ranger? And his "that's a warning" post sure FELT like Ranger.

Through Nilp's ostensible presence into the mix and the Wolves have an actual choice to make.

I have no idea who voting for Shasta signified on the schema, though...
Old 06-11-2020, 02:52 PM   #389
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

I think this would be rather fitting just about now -

In the meanwhile, the dwarves sat in darkness, and utter silence fell about them.

...Except I'd almost prefer the utter silence to some of the utter insanity on that thread
Old 06-11-2020, 02:53 PM   #390
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

I think Rikae is the Cobbler, and I think Lommy is cozying up to Brinn to try to persuade her to vote their way. We need Pitch and Nilp to vote Mac asap, and then our empowerment will force a tie that we win. Tense deadline.......
Old 06-11-2020, 02:53 PM   #391
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
++Shasta

I have to go and I won't be back before the DL. I want to vote for someone (as opposed to silence, which I think is bad!) and agreed that Mac is furry.

Hopefully this helps and doesn't hinder.
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 02:53 PM   #392
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Am starting to worry Rikae might be the Cobbler. I mean:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae
If the cobbler were smart, they would have done it and gotten Nilp lynched. Guess we don't have a very bright cobbler.
If they're not the Cobbler, then they just insulted the Cobbler directly, which seems a bit beyond how the game is normally played? This just feels like a poke at themselves more than at an unknown other player.

hS
Old 06-11-2020, 02:54 PM   #393
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Yes, I think Rikae is the Cobbler and I think they know who the wolves are.
Old 06-11-2020, 02:55 PM   #394
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

And yes, for those who have to vote for Medium early, Shasta is a good choice - but remember that the vote locks in the second we hit four votes!!
Old 06-11-2020, 02:55 PM   #395
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife
For the Dead:
+-Macalaure
Go Pitch! Don't let us down now
Old 06-11-2020, 02:56 PM   #396
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

WHERE is Nilp? If Brinn and Rikae vote with the wolves, we NEED him.
Old 06-11-2020, 02:56 PM   #397
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
So we're waiting for the wolves to open the game on their behalf.

Interesting to see, whether they have patience to wait for an innocent to misfire first (Rikae looks likely candidate to make a bad decision at the moment) and how hungrily they dare to jump on it - especially if Mac starts gathering more votes (which is quite possible indeed).

That of course presupposing our theories are correct.
Old 06-11-2020, 02:58 PM   #398
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

The wolves will have to vote soon, if only to indicate to their cobbler who to vote. One of Brinn and Rikae is a misled innocent. We either need the innocent to figure out what's going on, waste their vote, or Nilp to show up.
Old 06-11-2020, 02:59 PM   #399
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
If they're not the Cobbler, then they just insulted the Cobbler directly, which seems a bit beyond how the game is normally played? This just feels like a poke at themselves more than at an unknown other player.
That's actually a good catch.
Old 06-11-2020, 02:59 PM   #400
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

Quote:
And yes, for those who have to vote for Medium early, Shasta is a good choice - but remember that the vote locks in the second we hit four votes!!
I might have to since it's already midnight and I'm not sure I'll still be functional in an hour, though rate this is going I'm not sure if I can sleep So I'll hang around for a little longer and if I have to go I'll vote to empower Shasta.