The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-25-2007, 05:20 PM   #1
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Charisma?

I just saw Oliver Stone's movie about Alexander the Great the second time as it was shown on television here in Finland today. The thing that striked me (again) was the lack of charisma with Colin Farrell. A second of Anthony Hopkins had more presence than an hour with Farrell...

But this has been an active topic with PJ movies as well. We have praised certain actors for their charisma and blamed others for lacking it. I myself realise me praising the Ians (McKellen and Holm) and scorning Viggo and Elijah Wood... That's an old story.

But why do we care for charisma indeed? Shouldn't ordinary hobbits just be so uncharismatic as Elijah Wood is? I mean he's supposed to be an ordinary guy! (well, a too pretty one to my taste for an ordinary guy from any neighbourhood, but surely nicely calculated for some screen audiences)

Hitler was a charismatic guy and so was Stalin. Napoleon seems to have been one and Pol-Pot also... But why do we need charismatic people in the movies? If people try to act ordinary persons, why should they be charismatic (or extremely good-looking)?

Whom of the LotR you think should be plain ordinaries except the Hobbits?
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote