The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-14-2002, 05:05 PM   #1
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien What time is it?

I know Tolkien's masterpiece of the Lord of the Rings was a "made up" time in History. I remember reading something about C.S. Lewis writing on space-travel, and Tolkien writing on time-travel.

But if LOTR was in a real time, and it was a real story, what time period would it be in? I have been wondering about this for a while. When would the story actually have taken place?

[ September 14, 2002: Message edited by: Eruwen ]
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 05:54 PM   #2
Guildo
Wight

Guildo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Guildo
Tolkien

I read a an Article i cant remember where but it Bassicaly said Tolkien's main desire was to make this sound like a story that has actualy happened, but long before our recorded history "Before Oliphants Evolved to Elephants for example" he also was very interested in Anglo Saxon Mythology and History, SO i speculated if these stories where true Tolkien intended them to take place in England, Spain, Scotland, and Ireland area before there colonization and urbanization probably a couple hundred years Prior of Homers tales of The Iliad and the Oddessy, the Trojan wars, and Beowolf.\

But thats just my two Lembas worth.

Glen Sight
Guildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 06:00 PM   #3
Eruwen

Tolkien

Oh, so around the middle ages? That's simple enough. Whoa that was a long time ago.

[ September 14, 2002: Message edited by: Eruwen ]
Old 09-14-2002, 06:11 PM   #4
Guildo
Wight

Tolkien

Another Interesting Fact about the Period i was talking about is "IF the big bang Theory is correct, you know the whole thing with the Commet killing the Dinosours" the effects of this would have lasted thousands of years for example the Nuclear Fall out from this would be well over by the Middle Ages BUT the mutations of that would have lasted Much longer resulting in "Ogres" "Orcs" "Oliphants" and so one, But keep in mind this is JUST a theory though a quite popular one which History Scholars tend to dable in, i actualy learned this from my professor.

Glen Sight
Old 09-14-2002, 06:52 PM   #5
Childlike Empress
Wight

Childlike Empress has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Oh, so around the middle ages? That's simple enough. Whoa that was a long time ago
No, no. That would be long before the Middle Ages. Homer wrote The Iliad and The Odyssey centuries before Christ (if not longer) and Beowulf can be traced back thousands of years before that. The Middle Ages are a very recent part of our history, recent enough to have books actually printed then still in existence (I myself have seen one in person). There's no way LotR happened so recently.
I've always assumed that it was in prehistory, say ten or twelve thousand years ago.
Childlike Empress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 12:50 PM   #6
Eruwen

Tolkien

Well wasn't Beowulf part of the Middle Ages? And I'm not even trying to get into the whole creation/evolution thing here. I was just wondering around which time period in history LOTR would have taken place. But thanks for all of your help so far.
Old 09-15-2002, 01:12 PM   #7
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

If LOTR had really happened, I'd say it happened a LONG LONG LONG time before our recorded history.

My questions are: How long did the First, Second, Third, and Fourth Ages last all together? Also if LOTR really did happen, in what Age are we now living? [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2002, 01:14 PM   #8
Melephelwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Melephelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Probably not bringing up anything new here, but I've heard somewhere that we're in the 7th age now. If each age is about 3,000 years, multipled 4, er ... 12,000 years ago. As someone said already... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
And we dance beneath the moon
Melephelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 01:20 PM   #9
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

Quote:
Probably not bringing up anything new here, but I've heard somewhere that we're in the 7th age now. If each age is about 3,000 years, multipled 4, er ... 12,000 years ago. As someone said already...
Wow!

12,000 years ago!

Yep, that would predate any recorded history I have EVER heard or read about before!
Old 09-15-2002, 02:20 PM   #10
Childlike Empress
Wight

Silmaril

Quote:
Well wasn't Beowulf part of the Middle Ages?
Maybe I should clear something up. When I say "Middle Ages", I mean the period between 1200 and 1500 AD. Very recent. Beowulf can be traced back to about 5000 BC.

[ September 15, 2002: Message edited by: Childlike Empress ]
Old 09-15-2002, 04:26 PM   #11
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Okay, just a clarificationn on a few things.

First, Beowulf was writen in the 900's AD, though it could have been centuries earlier.

Tolkien himself said that the War of the Ring happened some 6000 years ago. If we look at the Timeline of the Bible, this could be around the time of the Flood or little before.

Tolkien also stated that we could be somewhere in the 6th to 7th Age, as Ages have seemed to speed up.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 04:38 PM   #12
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Well: each age isn't necessarily 3,000 years: each change of age is marked by a great event.

For example, the birth of Christ was one.

And yes: we are all in the 7th age. No, I cannot name exact beginnings and ends of ages past the 3rd age...sorry...wish I could.
Old 09-15-2002, 04:46 PM   #13
Childlike Empress
Wight

Silmaril

Quote:
Beowulf was writen in the 900's AD
Written, written. It was written down then, yes, you're absolutely correct, but it existed as an oral tale for a very long time before English scholars decided it should be saved in a more permanent form and wrote it down.

[ September 15, 2002: Message edited by: Childlike Empress ]
Old 09-15-2002, 05:40 PM   #14
Guildo
Wight

Tolkien

Once again i agree with the Empress it may have been written in 900AD but "Homer" who infact was Blind and illiterate (cant read or write) recited this Tale hundreds of years before 900AD and can be traced back a thousand years before Homer's time

Glen Sight