The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-07-2002, 09:03 PM   #1
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe A Warning, for those truly obsessed

i never thought i could ever get tired of Lotr, but it is possible if you read it say, eight times and forget to mix in some new material every now and then, it begins to seem a little repetitive. The last time I tried to read Lotr, sadly, i couldn't even get to the Council of Elrond. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this difficulty and if they have recovered.
Old 09-07-2002, 09:09 PM   #2
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I read it every year or so for awhile. My "ex" and I even read it out loud to each other one year (a memory I cherish.) Then I might not pick it up again for years.

I got it out again after the announcement of the film came out, and enjoyed it every bit as thoroughly as I did the first time. But there have been times when I only went back and read "the good parts".

But then, I welcome re-reading favorite books, like meeting old friends. And believe me, not every book I have gets this honor!

I guess it depends on how you feel about re-reading books. Some people read a book once, then say "Been there, done that."
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 09:24 PM   #3
Iarwain

Sting

Very Interesting. I always reread books, it just seems natural if the book was good. It just seems so sad to me that after about nine years of obsession, the crave for knowledge of Middle-Earth is gone. Its like a beloved ritual being taken away.
Old 09-07-2002, 09:32 PM   #4
Finandriel

Sting

I always reread good books, too. I like to read LotR about once a year, especially in the autumn. Autumn always seems a good time to read about journeys. I haven't gotten tired of it yet!
Old 09-07-2002, 09:37 PM   #5
Iarwain

Sting

Thanks I guess I'll try that once fall comes.
Old 09-07-2002, 11:28 PM   #6
Tirned Tinnu
Wight

Tirned Tinnu has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I rotate the books. (No, I don't spin them, I read them each in turn! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] )
I start with the Sil, then the Unfinished Tales, finally LOTR. In between if bored, try Leaf by Niggle, or if all else fails try a brand-new Star Trek Book. Nothing will send you running back to Tolkien like badly written SciFi. LOL! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ September 08, 2002: Message edited by: Tirned Tinnu ]
Old 09-07-2002, 11:37 PM   #7
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Iarwain - I see no reason to force the issue. Another favorite book of mine is "The Once and Future King". Haven't read it in years, but I was looking for a quote from it and took it down off the shelf. Now I'm buried in the adventures of young "Wart" once again.

Leave it alone for awhile. It will still be there when you are ready to return to Middle Earth. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 05:03 AM   #8
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

We are placing topics that ask for opinions and experiences on the Novices and Newcomers forum, since they can be participated in by those who don't yet have an in-depth knowledge of Tolkien's books. I would like to encourage experienced board members to look in and join in there as well. The broader the range, the more interesting the discussions will be!

[ September 08, 2002: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 02:03 PM   #9
Donisile Of Mirkwood
Animated Skeleton

Donisile Of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Donisile Of Mirkwood
Sting

I just read the series then read a coupla Raymond E Wells books inbetween,u neva get tired then.
Old 09-08-2002, 04:22 PM   #10
Naurlothwen
Animated Skeleton

Naurlothwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

well I think that if you love and read a book enough, you dont really need to read again because its memory is stamped inside you. I love tolkien books and I dont think not wanting to read them again means I dont love it anymore.
Old 09-08-2002, 05:29 PM   #11
DarkRose
Wight

DarkRose has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to DarkRose
Sting

I know what you mean. Believe it or not, I can get a bit LOTR-worn out after a while. After watching the movie 5 weekends in a row when it came to theatres, I began to get exhausted from it.

So, I read more light-hearted, but similar books, to refresh myself. I seriously recommend the 'Alanna' series by Tamora Pierce.

Good luck! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2002, 08:31 PM   #12
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes that has happened to me! I am reading it for the 3ed time since christmas, that was a little bit much. Oh well. School has started again so I won't really have much time for reading anyway. Time to go and find HOME... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2002, 08:35 PM   #13
Lossenavariel
Pile O'Bones

Lossenavariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I always reread books!
Old 09-09-2002, 01:16 AM   #14
Neniel Sildurien

Silmaril

Well... You're lucky!
I don't even have the books and have to lurk at my neighborhood's library to find them available every time I want to look something up! I have copied half of the LotR appendix in handwriting! So, you should feel lucky to have them and just read them anytime you want.
Old 09-09-2002, 02:03 PM   #15
dark_one
Pile O'Bones

dark_one has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to dark_one
Sting

Any of the Tortall quartets by Tamora Pierce are excellent [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Well I'm one of those people who tends to read multiple boox at once. I'm re-reading the Sil right now. I've decided that every summer I'm going to re-read LOTR. I just finished this sumer's reading a week ago. I don't think I'll get sick of it cause I like to read boox I love over and over again.
Old 09-09-2002, 05:44 PM   #16
Salix
Shade of Carn Dûm

Salix has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I love rereading books! (Considering my house has enough books to be a fair sized library. :rolleyes [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I usually read LOTR, Tamora Pierce, Raven's End by Ben Gadd (We know the author!), the Sister Fidelma Mysteries by Peter Tremayne, sometimes Harry Potter (when I run out of good books) or Gone Away Lake by Elizabeth Enright. When I run out of books, I read Barrow Downs Fan fic, (none about Legolas, usually Humor) or watch the Matrix or FOTR or when there's nothing else to do, I grab a random book off the shelf, or watch a random movie. I've been blathering on for too long, so I'll shut up.