The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2002, 07:52 PM   #1
Thingol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thingol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting The Door of Night

Quote:
"… his name is Melkor, Lord of All, Giver of Freedeom, and he shall make you stronger than they."
Sauron to Ar-Pharazôn

Do you think it would have been possible for Sauron with The One Ring to open The Door of Night and free Melkor? If not, then how is Melkor supposed to escape for the final battle?

[ January 21, 2002: Message edited by: Thingol ]
Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.
Thingol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 02:24 AM   #2
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Melkor would break himself free. Why break the master free only to become a servant again, when you can be the master? The Valar control the doors of night, Vingelot enters the sky through it, Sauron would likely be cast in himself if he tried to.

Quote:
But Morgoth himself the Valar thrust through the Door of Night beyond the Walls of the World, into the Timeless Void; and a guard is set forever on those walls, and Earendil keeps watch upon the ramparts of the sky.
[ January 22, 2002: Message edited by: Elrian ]
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 10:57 AM   #3
Thingol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Maybe Sauron liked Melkor. He talked to Ar-Pharazôn about freeing Melkor. This might have just been a line, but it could indicate that he was planning to free him. I know that Earendil, riding on Vingelot, guards the door of night, but do you think that with The Ring Sauron might have been able to either sneak past Earendil or drive him off?
Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.
Old 01-22-2002, 12:07 PM   #4
Voronwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Voronwe has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't think the line quote above refers to Melkor's freedom. It merely calls Melkor the 'giver of freedom'.

Sauron would not have been able to open the door of night, even had he wished to do so. The Valar would have prevented him. Melkor is basically kept in the void by the wills of the Valar, and so while they are still vigilant he will not be able to escape.

-Voronwe
Old 01-22-2002, 02:17 PM   #5
Carannillion
Wight

Carannillion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Elrian wrote:
Quote:
Melkor would break himself free. Why break the master free only to become a servant again, when you can be the master? The Valar control the doors of night, Vingelot enters the sky through it, Sauron would likely be cast in himself if he tried to.
Perhaps Sauron's will was so tightly controlled by Melkor that everything Suron did - even creating the One Ring - was with an ultimate goal; to free Melkor again? Sauron could have been so blinded by his will to free his master that he thought he could beat the Valar...
Old 01-22-2002, 02:40 PM   #6
Thingol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

You are correct Voronwe that the quote above does not refer to actually freeing Melkor, Sauron is merely describing Melkor to Ar-Pharazôn, convincing him that the Eru does not exist and that the real master is Melkor. Sauron was attempting to convince Ar-Pharazôn that he could actually defeat the Valar and that if he did Melkor would deliver him from the fait of men (death). (Pg. 335-336, Silm) It is true that Sauron is a liar and that the might of Numenor could not conquer the Valar, but can a grain of truth be discerned from Sauron's statements? Also, were does it state the Valar control/guard the Door of Night? All I remember reading is that Earendil guards it. If the Valar do control it then it is doubtful that Sauron could open it. I guess this is all merely speculation, Tolkien never really wrote much about the Door of Night, nor the manner of Melkor’s return, not that I’ve read anyway.
Old 01-23-2002, 12:37 AM   #7
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
But Morgoth himself the Valar thrust through the Door of Night beyond the Walls of the World, into the Timeless Void; and a guard is set forever on those walls, and Earendil keeps watch upon the ramparts of the sky.
It says and a guard is set forever on those walls, AND Earendil keeps watch upon the ramparts. The only ones who could keep watch are Vala or Maia, The Elves cannot go there. Earendil never leaves his ship, nor does he stay in one place to gaurd, he sails the sky. The Door of Night is not on the ground but set in the Walls of the World between Ea and the Void. The Valar would know of Sauron's approach and be there to greet him. Yes Sauron is a liar, he lied as Annatar about the rings and himself.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote