The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-17-2005, 06:04 PM   #241
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

SamwiseGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I'm becoming more and more sure that Gil is calling our bluff. I suspected him yesterday and having read his posts today, and especially #237, I'm pretty convinced that he's up to something. But what? is it cobbler, bear or audacious werewolf? Who knows. Also, Enca voted for him yesterday. Now, sure, I hear you groan that that's just too predictable and nobody'd be so stupid- but i just can't help wonder if it's one of those dangerous dances on the knife-edge of stupidity and brilliance.

Also, lmp, you said that in post #44 I voted late and safe for Mith. Um, no. I was second to vote for her, convinced by Firefoot's reasoning. The mistakes which several people have pointed out that you made in that post worry me. Are they just honest mistakes or are they subtle perversions which you hoped nobody would pick up on? I just don't know what to think anymore!
Old 08-17-2005, 06:16 PM   #242
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Here's a crazy plan I literally just thought of which may just be crazy enough to work: we lynch articstorm. We basically know that the wolves will want to kill him overnight, so it might just work for theses reasons: (1) it'll remove options from the wolves- killing articstorm is a safe kill for them, it sheds no extra light on the situation; (2) if the wolves leave articstorm alive tonight we're all going to be very suspicious tomorrow, and we're all going to start clutching at straws regarding bluffs; and (3) there's a small possibility that articstorm is bluffing. Suspicions of him were not really strong enough to warrant him revealling himself when he did. If he is bluffing, he won't be an innocent and so we'll net ourselves something hairy!

I've not even convinced myself this is a good idea yet- and you'll probably lynch me for even suggesting it, but I'm just throwing it out there for discussion.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:30 PM   #243
Laitaine
Pile O'Bones

Laitaine has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamwiseGamgee
Here's a crazy plan I literally just thought of which may just be crazy enough to work: we lynch articstorm. We basically know that the wolves will want to kill him overnight, so it might just work for theses reasons: (1) it'll remove options from the wolves- killing articstorm is a safe kill for them, it sheds no extra light on the situation; (2) if the wolves leave articstorm alive tonight we're all going to be very suspicious tomorrow, and we're all going to start clutching at straws regarding bluffs; and (3) there's a small possibility that articstorm is bluffing. Suspicions of him were not really strong enough to warrant him revealling himself when he did. If he is bluffing, he won't be an innocent and so we'll net ourselves something hairy!

I've not even convinced myself this is a good idea yet- and you'll probably lynch me for even suggesting it, but I'm just throwing it out there for discussion.
I don’t think I need to point out that this plan is dicey,
I daresay that Arctic's reaction will be fairly icy.
I’d rather take a chance and try to kill a wolf today--
Wolves want us to kill innocents, and therefore pave their way.

*purses lips* However…

We don’t know what will happen if Arctic lives the day,
We could just wait to see what Arcticstorm will say.
If he likes your plan, well, I still don't think it wise,
But before we even think about it, let's hear it from his eyes.

Last edited by Laitaine; 08-17-2005 at 06:33 PM. Reason: the poem's meter was completely off for the last two lines
Laitaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 06:43 PM   #244
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
Well, yes. I miss CaptainofDespair's presence among us very much.

::Glares back at SPM::
Now that's a cheap shot! Just like the one with which you launched your sloppy and undercooked custard pies.

You have talked much recently, and yet little you say goes towards assuaging my suspicions of you. And it seems that you were instrumental in our noble Shirriff's decision to reveal himself.

Quote:
Yet we have no clear idea how to flush one out with any confidence. That's why I say get the wolves. ... unless you have a really good sense for the werebear.
Well, you're my only real suspect at the moment. But, as it happens, I agree that there is probably much more to go on as far as the Wolves are concerned. I just don't think we should take our eyes of the Bear-ball while we are looking for Wolves. And it's worth bearing (no pun intended) in mind that the Beorning wants the Wolves dead too.

Quote:
Judge my words versus arcticstorm's
Indeed we will.

(There we are, that's my cheap shot in return. )

Quote:
As a matter of fact, SPM, you seem to have a blind spot about Boromir, because he did NOT appear on your post # 200 list of those who had voted for both Mithalwen and CoD. That could be seen as suspicious, but I believe it is merely an error because you have yet to seriously suspect Boromir.
It was not an error. My list, concerning who might be Wolves, comprised those who voted for Mithalwen when her fate was either sealed or pretty much so and who voted for CaptainofDespair. Boromir88 voted fourth for Mithalwen - putting her one vote ahead of Gurthang. Does anybody really think that one Wolf would vote for another in those circumstances on the first Day? I don't have a blind spot for Boromir88. I just find it extremely unlikely that he's a Wolf. I have not, however, discounted the possibility of him being a Bear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancing spawn
I don't know if you are entirely serious with your accusations (I notice that many are happily climbing the bandwagon, though) but I'm going to defend myself a little.
I'm not accusing you as such. I just want to know why it is that you seem so innocent in my mind. You make some interesting points in your defence, so I'm glad that you took the time to set it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancing spawn
SpM's suspicion of me is based on his belief that one or two wolves voted for CoD yesterday. When he had decided that, he had just to finger at the voting list of day1 so it would support his view. Simple yet not very accurate (sorry).
I have explained the basis for the list (on which I included myself). No, it's not very accurate, but studying voting patterns is one of the few things that we have to go on at the moment. And it did not support my view as far as you are concerned since I was at that time (and still am) loathe to suspect you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticstorm
I was hoping not to have to reveal this today, yet with two people seriously considering me to be a wolf, at least one of whom may be able to convince people to join his cause. I must now reveal myself to be the other sherriff.
I am sorry that you were forced into revealing yourself, arcticstorm. But it does restore my faith somewhat in my own judgement (after the CaptainofDespair fiasco) as I had an idea that you were the second Shirriff. I noticed that you and Firefoot mildly defended each other on the first two Days and I have never really harboured any serious suspicion of you. But now that you are revealed, I would greatly like to hear your further thoughts on our predicament.

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlemanpoet
So SPM thinks I'm a Bear and Boromir thinks I'm a wolf.
I am fairly certain that LMP is not a Wolf, whatever he may be.

Quote:
But PLEASE, people, look at the cases against EVERY VILLAGER. Don't get sucked into a latest fad of who's guilty and who's not.
I agree with that. I most certainly do not go along with what anyone says uncritically. But we do have a decision to make today and so I for one welcome everyone setting out their views concerning our foes. In those circumstances, it is natural (and indeed beneficial if we are not to lynch more than one of our number) that a degree of consensus will form.

Quote:
It's just that Gil-galad seems frankly too nonchalant to even care about being a werewolf or not. Maybe he's a wolf putting on a narcissistic act, but if he is, I guess he's got me so far convinced.
I'm with you on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurthang
These mistakes could be simply that: mistakes. Yet they also look like twisting words; something a wolf would do. I kind of think it was just mistakes, but I am watching you because of the above statements.
Yes, he made a mistake with my list too (see above). By themselves they don't mean much, but it seems to me that a number of things are beginning to stack up as far as LMP is concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
It's not inconceivable that Lmp had the same suspicion as I did about arcticstorm and set about flushing him out on purpose with his accusations. Ho hum.
There's another. I agree that it most certainly is not beyond the bounds of possibilty.

Last edited by The Saucepan Man; 08-17-2005 at 06:47 PM. Reason: typos
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 07:01 PM   #245
Nonnacedak
Animated Skeleton

Nonnacedak has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nonnacedak
Staying on the Wolf Hunt.

SamwiseGamgee your plan is very inventive I must admit but I say we not move on to something about a supposed known to everyone innocent(I say supposed cuz I guess Arctic could possibly be lying but that I highly doubt.).

We should stay on the Wolf hunt for now because we dont need something new for the wolves to hide under and argue about. I am not sure who to vote for at the moment so I would like to keep talking about those suspicious to help my stumped self out.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:04 PM   #246
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Samwise Gamgee, I must say that I, at least, will not lynch you for the idea, but I do not like it. Killing a known innocent is not going to help us as a village. Sure, it leaves the werecreatures in doubt, but they will still pick two others to kill tonight. By not lynching arcticstorm, we almost guarantee that we know what our opponets will do(they'll kill him), thus keeping us a step ahead. And we just might get a wolf or the bear if we lynch someone besides arcticstorm.

And think about this: Perhaps the wolves and the bear will both try to kill arcticstorm. Would that result in only him dying? If so, it would be good because we only lose one innocent tonight rather than two. Or perhaps they(wolves and bear) would both think the other will kill arcticstorm, so they both leave him and we have a known innocent alive tomorrow.

Personally, I would feel a lot better about lynching someone who is acting suspicious rather than lynching a known innocent. I'm still leaning towards Gil-Galad. His last post could be a sincere defense attempt, or it could be him trying to bluff himself to safety; I'm not really certain.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:09 PM   #247
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Quote:
Here's a crazy plan I literally just thought of which may just be crazy enough to work: we lynch articstorm.
Wha- !!??

No no and thrice no!

Two things:

1. Arcticstorm is not bluffing. The record backs him up. If he was, then the real Shirriff would step forward and declare themselves. I severely doubt that anyone will.

2. If we lynched arcticstorm, we would almost certainly guarantee the death of two innocents in the place of one. The Wolves would be able to choose another to kill in his place, and it's unlikely that it would be the Bear. It might even be the Seer. If we don't lynch arcticstorm, we have a shot at one of the Wolves or the Bear to-Day.

No, let's not go there. 'Tis a silly plan.

Quote:
... you'll probably lynch me for even suggesting it
On the contrary, I actually think that it speaks in your favour. I don't believe you to be a Wolf because of your vote for Mithalwen. And your plan not the sort of thing that the Bear would propose as, if we lynch arcticstorm, there is a greater risk that the Wolves will kill him/her to-Night.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:13 PM   #248
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Hows about this for a crazy plan - let's lynch everybody except arcticstorm ...
Old 08-17-2005, 07:30 PM   #249
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

*continueth to wipe ye custarde pie off face*

I'm not really convinced aboute anyone at this pointe. Gil-Galad is stille ye higheste on Ye Olde Liste (thoughe I'm eyeing Boromir88 with some suspicione now), so I'll probably vote for him in aboute 20 minutes unlesse something better turneth up.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:32 PM   #250
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

You couldn't do it. It doesn't work mathematically. There's always going to be someone with two votes. That is on the assumption that silence works as a vote for yourself.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:54 PM   #251
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Quote:
It doesn't work mathematically. There's always going to be someone with two votes. That is on the assumption that silence works as a vote for yourself.
No, silence doesn't register as a vote at all. But if everyone but arcticstorm were to vote for themselves ...

I'm only half serious, but it's a thought.

Well, I'm off to take my daily nap (ie I'm off for the night). I will vote later to-Day (ie tomorrow).

I will sign off with my conclusions from the proceedings to date.

I believe that the two Wolves are to be found among the following group (in order of suspicion):

Lalaith
Laitaine
Gil-Galad
Durelin
dancing spawn

The Cobbler may be on that list too (but not necessarily). If so, then Durelin and Gil-Galad are the most likely candidates.

As for the Bear, well LMP remains my prime suspect. But I am not sufficiently convinced at the moment. There are still a fair few who might be the Black Beorning. Despite the benefits of bagging the Bear, it's probably better that we focus on trying to catch a Wolf today - unless, of course, further evidence comes to light.

The reasoning for the above is scattered throughout my posts. I'm not repeating them all again here. So there!
Old 08-17-2005, 07:55 PM   #252
Laitaine
Pile O'Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
And your plan not the sort of thing that the Bear would propose as, if we lynch arcticstorm, there is a greater risk that the Wolves will kill him/her to-Night.
Not true, my friend--the Werebear really would be quite protected
If Arctic’s lynched, he wouldn’t have to worry ‘bout being detected.
He’d live to see another day and kill another night
And isn’t it the rule that Beorning wins in werewolf fight?

Aside from that, I do agree with everything you've said.
Arctic is the Sheriff, but tomorrow likely dead.

The time is drawing near, friends, for me to cast my vote
Today, it is most complex to consider all you've wrote.
There is little strange behavior going round our hapless town,
And I sincerely don't want to look like an evil clown.

But friends, today is difficult, there's little proof to see.
I'll have to go by my best guess--it's not great, believe me.
So far, the only people I've seen act suspiciously:
Gil-galad and Non, both too quiet and very vague too me.

Gil has written such a lack, it's really hard to know
And Non has seemed to bent on telling us that he's no foe.
Out of the two, Gil just seems a rather bumbling fool

(no offense)

But Non has spent far too much time telling us he's cool.
And "cool," of course, means "innocent"--but I am not convinced.
I think you may just be the one who had our Firefoot minced.
Or maybe you are the Black Beorning and you work alone,
Whatever fiend that you might be, I think it's time you're owned!

I realize that's a switch for me--from B]Durelin[/B] to Non,
But Durelin's not spoke much today--my choosing her'd be wrong.
Again, it's simply my best guess that I follow today...but...
I will wait till later to see what you others say.

*plays recorder in subdued tone, looking around suspiciously*
Old 08-17-2005, 07:56 PM   #253
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
I am still suspicious of Durelin. She explained herself a little yesterday, but now I see her quick vote(yesterday) for Saucepan Man. That vote smells like an attempted start at a bandwagon.
A bandwagon? There was too much suspicion around CoD for me to convince anyone otherwise. The bandwagoning against CoD had already begun, and there was no stopping it.

arcticstorm the other Shirrif? Well, if he is not lying, then he will be killed tonight anyway. If he is lying, then he will not. Thus tomorrow we'll know if he's lying or not. Perhaps not for sure, but we'll have a better idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pan Man
Actually, I think that your comment yester-Day is probably nearer the mark:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin, yester-Day
SaucepanMan says too much, and really has no idea what he's doing
I think you're right.

Boromir88 is my prime suspect to be a wolf or the bear. Particularly the bear. He helped greatly in getting CoD lynched, though rather subtly, and not being the leader of the accusations. I'm wondering what he's trying to say here:

Quote:
However, my vote for him was not in an attempt to start a bandwagon (there were other purposes which I wish not to reveal).
The two L's are suspects for wolves as well, due to their relative quietness, and their voting. Lalaith was the last to vote for CoD, Lataine voted for me, perhaps to separate herself from Lalaith, or just because she thought CoD was innocent (which he was). I'm not sure about these two.

Dancing Spawn is someone I will keep my eye on as a possible wolf, as her vote for CoD was very well timed.

I'm not sure about Gurthang either. He says he is still suspicious of me, though I was not a part of the lynching of CoD. I know this does not completely assure anyone that I am innocent, but I'd like to hear more from Gurthang as to why he is suspicious of me.

I think Gil-Galad is the Cobbler, and is too brash to be a wolf. Or he is simply the usual confused innocent villager

Most of this has already been said by others, but I thought I should voice my own suspicions, that are mostly based upon others' posts. Sorry for my absence. And again, I am forced to depart before the end of this day, and thus I must vote at this point. (It's about 9:45pm here, and Day will end at 8 am. Sorry, that's too early for me. )

++Boromir88

Sorry, he's the best shot I can think of. Someone might as well start the voting. I hope no one will consider this an attempt to bandwagon. Obviously everyone should vote for who they think is guilty. This would be a very sorry attempt at bandwagoning, anyway....
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 07:56 PM   #254
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye Ye Knighte voteth...againe

Well, I have to *ahem* "leave ye village hexagon" in a few minutes and don't really feele like getting up after all ye other votes are in, so I'll juste vote like I saide earlier.

++Gil-Galad

Now to set ye Beare and Wolfe trappes arounde my fortified manor house...
Old 08-17-2005, 07:59 PM   #255
arcticstorm
Shade of Carn Dûm

arcticstorm has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arcticstorm Send a message via MSN to arcticstorm Send a message via Yahoo to arcticstorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meneltarmacil
My minde is somewhat blanke at this pointe. arcticstorm, if thou hast any insighte as a Sherriff, I aske thee to share it.
Unfortunately, when Firefoot died she had many people, at least ten, as possible wolves, and I had at least one other on the list. AS to Samwise's possible solution of lynching me tonight, it would be a mistake to lynch a known innocent. Doing so would free up two more innocents to die tonight, though by lynching someone else we may kill an innocent, we may get a wolf or bear.
As to Saucepan's plan that we lynch everyone else, It would not work even if everyone voted for themselves, and I did not vote. Because we know the wolves, bear, and cobbler would not vote for themselves. And though they would reveal themselves in that way, they conceivably could force a quadrupel lynching. Kill two more tonight. That is 6 dead. out of 14 left? leaving those 4, plus what, four others? So the villagers would not be able to lynch them all at once, because the wolves and cobbler would help eachother. maybe killing one of them with the help of the bear. So what we would have is 1 or 2 wolves, 0 or 1 cobbler, 1 bear, 4 villagers. so say the wolves kill a villager. and the bear, in his best interests, would have to kill a villager. leaving 1 wolf, 1 cobbler, 1 bear, 2 villagers. so this day the bear would not want to kill the wolf, because the cobbler, I doubt would support him in the end. BUt maybe. But if the 2 villagers and the bear get the last wolf. leaving one death at night. what would be left is 1 cobbler 1 villager 1 bear. If the cobbler decides in the last to support the bear the bear would win, if not the villager would. If a villager is killed during the day, instead of the wolf. The wolf would kill the bear, and with the cobbler's help would win the game. And by mixing the other scenario's around, I do not see many paths leading to a villager victory.
arcticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 08:01 PM   #256
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
I have to go to sleep and really don't want to get up early tomorrow. But I'm afraid I can't vote today. I am still suspicious of certain people but not enough to vote for any one. I will hopefully wake tomorrow to the death of a werewolf or bear.

(my reasons for not voting are the same as they were on day one)

Last edited by wilwarin538; 08-17-2005 at 08:05 PM.
wilwarin538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 08:10 PM   #257
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe !

Ok, articstorm, I hear you. My idea was only that, and it would only have worked if everyone got on board, so there we are. My big concern is if the wolves don't kill you tonight what are we going to do? At that point I'm going to find it very hard to continue believing you.

Now I must take my rest. I hope to be up just in time to vote and hopefully see a wolfen fiend hang!
Old 08-17-2005, 08:17 PM   #258
arcticstorm
Shade of Carn Dûm

Send a message via AIM to arcticstorm Send a message via MSN to arcticstorm Send a message via Yahoo to arcticstorm
Samwise, with your and Durelin's recent posts. If I was a wolf and there was a known innocent, that not everyone was convinced, but is willing to accept. I would leave him alive tonight kill two other innocents, so that the next day the village would kill the known innocent suspecting him of lying. So if I do survive tonight, the chances are slim that I will survive the next day and night. They may try to convince the village that I am not what I say by keeping me alive tonight, killing two innocents, and convincing the village to kill a known innocent the next day, it would further their plan even more. Either way, I will not survive the next night-day-night period. If I am not lynched the next day by the village calling their bluff they will kill me the next night.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:32 PM   #259
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Pipe Just had to pop back in ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticstorm
As to Saucepan's plan that we lynch everyone else, It would not work even if everyone voted for themselves, and I did not vote.
Actually, it would not work because the Wolves, Bear and Cobbler simply wouldn't vote. It might be manageable with more known innocents and an agreed deadline for voting - but it's too risky to warrant any other Gifteds declaring themselves. I was really only looking for reactions.

Quote:
My big concern is if the wolves don't kill you tonight what are we going to do? At that point I'm going to find it very hard to continue believing you.
There are a number of reasons why arcticstorm might not die tonight. Gurthang and arcticstorm have both outlined the main ones. Another is that both the Wolves and the bear might (rightly or wrongly) think that they have identified the Seer. I really do not believe that arcticstorm is bluffing, and I will continue to believe that even if he survives this Night.

Oh, and you can add wilwarin538 to my suspect list. I don't care what the reasons are. At this stage in the Day, deciding not to vote at all is suspicious behaviour in my eyes.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:52 PM   #260
arcticstorm
Shade of Carn Dûm

I have been thinking hard about whether to vote now or later, the only problem is I do not know if I will be here in time, but I will risk it. Right now I am most suspicious of Gil and will most likely vote that way later on today. If I am back in time, I will review everything else before posting my final vote. I am going to rest for a while and contemplate things.

Last edited by arcticstorm; 08-17-2005 at 08:55 PM. Reason: to make in aharacter for the village
Old 08-17-2005, 08:55 PM   #261
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

I will have to follow Meneltarmacil in this. I have never been more convinced that someone is guilty of treachery then tonight.

Yesterday, I was juggling between voting for CoD, Gil-Galad, and Durelin. Regretably I made a wrong choice. So, coming into today Gil-galad was my main suspicion and nothing new has been said to change that suspicion. In fact, I am more confident than I have ever been previously...

His slipperyness and quick responses got him passed yesterday, and got my mind off him, and led me down the wrong path to CoD. I do not intend to have the same thing happen today.

++Gil-Galad
Old 08-17-2005, 08:56 PM   #262
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
White Tree

Posting again, to sort of explain why I did not vote for Durelin. With her defense of CoD she's slipped down in suspicion for me. That doesn't mean I'm totally convinced, but she has definitely moved down the radar since yesterday.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:38 PM   #263
Nonnacedak
Animated Skeleton

Yesterday I voted for Gil-Galad and I think today will be no different. Reasons for this vote have been said many times over so I feel I dont need to say why.

++Gil-Galad

I guess I have spent most of my posts stating that Im innocent and it has brought a tiny bit of suspicion my way. I guess Ill just attack from now on like everyone else.

wilwarin538 is of course up there. Havent heard much from her/him and not voting is a act pulling in suspicion. I mean if your not gonna vote listening to your words is kinda a waste of time.

Hopefully before the next day period Im still alive and the decisions will get easier. I must retire to my shack for now. Night Night!
Old 08-17-2005, 10:25 PM   #264
Laitaine
Pile O'Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
So, coming into today Gil-galad was my main suspicion and nothing new has been said to change that suspicion. In fact, I am more confident than I have ever been previously...

His slipperyness and quick responses got him passed yesterday, and got my mind off him, and led me down the wrong path to CoD. I do not intend to have the same thing happen today.[/B]
*yawn* Too tired...no time...to think...of good rhymes...
You words...sound true...I would...believe you...
However...I still...think Non...has ill will...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
I think Gil-Galad is the Cobbler, and is too brash to be a wolf. Or he is simply the usual confused innocent villager
*shakes sleep out of eyes, frustrated*
I still can't believe Gil can be our best pick
Frankly, his speech suggests he's rather thick.
Wouldn't a wolf put more thought to the game
And at least try to stop people slandering his name?

*shrugs. yawns*

Could be a trick...though I think it's quite dumb...
But I guess there's a chance that he is a wolf-bum.
Agreed, Gil's been acting in a rather weird way,
But Non has defended himself every day.

If Gil is a werewolf, then I'll be impressed
I didn't think wolves would act like they care less.
But if it is true, then I will stand corrected
And gladly play tunes as his body's bisected.

*yawn* My vote...will still go...to who I think....the foe...

++NONNACEDACK
Old 08-17-2005, 10:43 PM   #265
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally posted by Durelin
I'm not sure about Gurthang either. He says he is still suspicious of me, though I was not a part of the lynching of CoD. I know this does not completely assure anyone that I am innocent, but I'd like to hear more from Gurthang as to why he is suspicious of me.
I guess it's not so much that I'm still suspicious of you, as it is that I've not become unsuspicious. Your first day posts confused me and made me suspicious of you(hence my DAY 1 vote for you) and early into DAY 2 I still thought you were acting odd. You haven't done anything else since then I would consider really suspicious. So I'm not really that suspicious, it's more like I'm just keeping an eye on you.

Now, as I have said before, I still think Gil-Galad has acted wolfish. Especially for that unexplained DAY 1 vote. So:

++Gil-Galad

voting so far(including me):

Boromir88 - 1
Gil-Galad - 4
Nonnacedak - 1
Old 08-18-2005, 01:32 AM   #266
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I don't have time to read through everything properly right now, but I will say this.
1. It is extremely unlikely that Arcticstorm is bluffing. Not only does past evidence speak in his favour (I had more or less worked out it was him) but nobody else has come forward to disagree with him.
2. Top of my suspect list right now are Lmp and Gil. In fact, in case I don't have time to come back, I'm going to go for it, I think Gil is a fairly safe vote.
++Gil-Galad
Old 08-18-2005, 03:46 AM   #267
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
I still think that Gil is more likely a cobbler than a werething. Mith said that maybe we shouldn't ignore the obvious. She didn't probably think that she would get caught so soon and tried to cover her double bluffing friends. Or then she felt safe enough to left a clue right under our noses so she could gloat later. But maybe this Gil mystery will reveal to us soon.

Votes are:

Boromir
1. Durelin

Gil-Galad
2. Menel, 3. Boromir, 4. Nonnacedak, 6. Gurthang, 7. Lalaith

Nonnacedak
5. Laitaine

Seven out of fourteen have voted. Wilwa said that she won't vote so that leaves six votes left. Basically, anything can still happen.

I'm quite suspicious of Nonnac right now. Also, I wonder why Lalaith accused me by saying that I hadn't mentioned Mith earlier although that wasn't true. But my biggest suspect is lmp.

I've voiced my suspicions of him a couple times earlier and SpM has some very good points in his post #244. I won't probably be able to come back before the voting is closed... you know, I'm trying to make the biggest glass vase this hamlet has ever seen.

So, I'll vote for ++LMP.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:02 AM   #268
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meneltarmacil
Is this a not-so-cryptic hinte that we oughte to looke out for Laitaine? Or is this Knighte reading too muche into thy poste?
You're reading too much in. I had actually composed it when I was still most suspicious of arcticstorm & Boromir, figuring only one might get lynched, the other survive, and want to get rid of me because I'm too close to the truth; which obviously ain't so! (durn it) But I felt like posting the ditty anyway. Sorry to mislead yet again! I just made another custard pie.

::LMP smashes eggy custard pie in own face::

Quote:
What makes me suspicious are your mistakes...
I blame that on my very shorthand notes. I jot a quick couple words on each post to get the kernel idea and hope for the best. Unfortunately, it has resulted in some mistakes in the details. Sorry about that. If I were a werewolf or werebear, I would be far more careful than I have been, for reasons stated in my first post toDay.

Quote:
It's not inconceivable that Lmp had the same suspicion as I did about arcticstorm and set about flushing him out on purpose with his accusations.
You give me far too much credit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir
I agree it would be foolish to be set on one person.
Quite. As you saw, I had two. Now I have none. Sigh.

I just thought of something. And this is probably as bad an idea as arcticstorm's: double lynch. Maybe we get lucky and kill two werethings at one go. Probably not though. Still, I just feel like Gil is playing games with all our minds instead of being a werethingy. Therefore, one of my next most suspicious gets my vote:

++ Nonnacedak

Laitaine, paint me not with the brush of wickedness.
Though I've mistaken twice today, 'twas attempted rightliness.
Note too that your sprightly versing I most certainly have noticed,
and is my main grounds for leaving you off my werelist.

And I agree with you about Nonna, obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwise
Also, lmp, you said that in post #44 I voted late and safe for Mith. Um, no. I was second to vote for her, convinced by Firefoot's reasoning.
I did notice that your vote came later than the others, but my notes also revealed that Mith had already been under suspicion well before your vote; which still makes me doubt you. It would have been, borrowing the words of Spawn, a shameless act from a fellow werewolf, but werewolves are shameless. They have to be. Your crazy plan to lynch a known innocent worries ME about YOU. Nevertheless, it appears to be too bold for a werethingy. Others have sufficiently answered you.

Spawn seems innocent because she has been straightforward, just as you have, SPM. She sounds right. Funny, I thought I did, too, yet I'm suspected of being a Bear. But then this time in our village is all about reading things into others' words which may or may not be there. Sigh.

Quote:
And think about this: Perhaps the wolves and the bear will both try to kill arcticstorm.
Or maybe he'll survive because they figure the other evil party will go after him. Or they'll both take a stab at who they think the Seer might be instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPM
As for the Bear, well LMP remains my prime suspect.
Just a note in case you all lynch me. Since I'm not the Bear, who's the best choice instead? But please don't try for the Bear if you have a good idea who a Wolf is!

Now here goes Durelin, casting suspicion so far and wide that I gotta wonder if we weren't onto somthing earlier. I mean, what's up with a suspect list of no less than five fellow villagers when there are only 2 werewolves, 1 werebear, and 1 cobbler? I suppose maybe she's being "thorough". Hmmmm....

Wilwarin's continued failure to vote is less than stellar gaming, for one thing, and otherwise suspicious.

I just saw Spawn's vote for me. Oh well. If I die before I wake....

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 08-18-2005 at 09:08 AM.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 04:13 AM   #269
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

++ Gil-Galad

I'm really pretty sure that he's some sort of were-creature, and even if he's not the confusion he's casting in this village is counter-productive and distracting. That may sound fanatical, but it's really just me saying that he could be the cobbler.

I must leave now and earn my keep- I hope to reurn in time to find a gallows with a werewolf or bear hanging upon it. If there is not may Wargy protect this village of Hamlet.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:08 AM   #270
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Well luckily I have wocken up this morning early enough to vote, its 7 am where I am so that doesn't happen very often. I hope you guys beleive me when I say that I din't vote because I was not prepared to vote for any one, now after reading what has been said since last night I will vote for:

++Nonnacedak

For reasons stated by others.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:10 AM   #271
arcticstorm
Shade of Carn Dûm

I have been thinking about this, and with Gil most likely being the cobbler and probably going to be lynched anyway. I will therfore vote for our resident feline who has been on my suspicion list for some time.

++Durelin

Last edited by arcticstorm; 08-18-2005 at 05:11 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 08-18-2005, 05:35 AM   #272
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Sting

Well, with only two votes left (including mine), Gil-Galad will be lynched, and there is thankfully no possibility of a tie.

I am still inclined to believe that Gil is innocent or the Cobbler. I can't help but feel that, were he a Wolf, he would have made sure to vote yester-Day, when the voting was tight, to save himself. Then again, his Day 1 vote speaks against him, as does his claim, earlier to-Day, that he might be the victim of a frame-up.

I suppose that there are worse choices than Gil. He just might be a Wolf, and could quite possibly be the Cobbler. And, if he is innocent, I highly doubt that he is one of our remaining Gifteds.

Well, since my vote will now make no difference, I will use against the one person of whom I have become more and more suspicious as to-Day has progressed.

++ DANCING SPAWN OF UNGOLIANT

She states that she voiced suspicion of Mithalwen on Day 1, but that was at a time when Mithalwen, with 6 votes, looked fairly likely to be lynched. She voted for her shortly afterwards, when Mithalwen's fate was almost certainly sealed. That seems to me to be a perfect way for a Wolf to clothe herself in innocence and thereby profit from the death of one of her own kind. Also, her vote for CaptainofDespair was fairly decisive, putting him two votes ahead of Gil-Galad. Quite possibly, she concluded from what he had said in his defence that he was the Ranger.

I remain suspicious of the others identified in my previous post too. And, whether Gil-Galad turns out to be Wolf, Cobbler, Bear or innocent, his death may well serve to provide further enlightenment.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:14 AM   #273
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Lynch'd!

The votes crept in, and silently put a "lynch me!" sign on the back of none other than Gil-Galad, that resident gravekeeper, town cryer, and garrisoned soldier.

"Year ye, hear ye, I am about to be lynched!" he cried as they took hold of him. "Who will dig my grave?"

"Oh, I don't think you'll need one," they said. "As we're going to burn you at the stake, and there'll be nothing left of your body when we're done."

"Correct me if I'm wrong but is that a CHALLENNNNNGE?? Double doooooooooooooooooce!"

And as he brought his red glov'd hands to bear, his friendly face through his red parka morphed! A snout began to grow from whence sprung his nose, a tail sprung from his hinder parts, and he snarled fiercely. Then he began to caper about strangely. "You thought I was the Cobbler! That is so dumb! That sounds like it is soooo dumb!"

They took ahold of him and struggled him to the remains of the Ugly Duckling, and tied him to the pole that LMP used to dance with when he was drunk.

Gil struggled and glared and howled at the throng, but paused when Saucie brought a lantern.

"Hey Sauciepan Man, whaaaaat are you doing?"

Saucie said naught, but threw the lantern onto the alcohol-soaked wood.

"Jibblie jibblie jibblie!" shuddered Gil as the lantern cascaded towards the wood, and immediately burst into a fireball visible from eighty leagues away. Indeed, far away Rohan was summoned to Gondor before they realized their mistake.

When the Villagers raised themselves from the ground, all that was left of the scene was a huge pile of ash and a twisted metal pole.

"Now that," said the Villagers coughing and spluttering, "Is a jorb well done."

"Hey!" cried one digging at the ashes of the fire. "This isn't dirt! I-it's pudding!"

"YAY!!"

---------------------

Living:
Arcticstorm
Boromir88
Dancing Spawn of Ungoliant
Durelin
Gurthang
Laitaine
Lalaith
littlemanpoet
Meneltarmacil
Nonnacedak
SamwiseGamgee
The Saucepan Man
Wilwa

Dead:

Oddwen (Mod) - Skeletonized by Wolves on NIGHT 1
Mithalwen (Werewolf) - Cheesily lynched on DAY 1
Alcarillo (Villager) - Smashed to bits on NIGHT 2
Mormegil (Villager) - Blown away on NIGHT 2
CaptainofDespair (Ranger) - Innocent blood rejected by nature, received by men on DAY 2
Encaitare (Villager) - Thrown off a cliff by a Bear on NIGHT 3
Firefoot (Sherriff) - Killed by clowns on NIGHT 3
Gil-Galad (Werewolf) - Lynch'ed!! on DAY 3

It is now NIGHT 4. DAY 4 will begin in 23 3/4 hours.
I need names from the Bear, Seer, Wolf, and Hunter.

Last edited by Oddwen; 08-18-2005 at 06:18 AM. Reason: A bold statement
Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 06:02 AM   #274
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Arcticstorm labored far into the night, writing furiously on his treatise entitled "Tom Bombadil: Maia, Enigma, Starship Captain or Ulari?", when there came a tap on his shoulder. He whirled around, but there was no-one there.

After a moment's pause, he returned to his work. There came another tap.

This time, he jumped out of his chair and rolled under his desk. In these times, it didn't pay not to be paranoid.

A pair of furry feet exited the closet, and tiptoed towards the desk. Arcticstorm readied the small dagger that he kept about his person and hoped it would be enough.

The Wolf jabbed a long pole underneath, pinning Arcticstorm against the wall and crushing him. Arctic struggled, and finally tipped his desk over, scattering papers and snapping the pole. Most of "Balrog Wings: Crispy or Regular Recipe?" and "REB: Could it be Real?" immediately combusted in the fire, and many other works were destroyed in the struggle that ensued.

And long was the struggle, and though Arctic put up a good fight, in the end he was overcome. The Wolf made a good meal out of him, and wrote a paper of its own entitled "Philosophers: A Thorough Inspection Of the Innards Of", and went off whistling.

The Villagers were dismayed the next morning - their only known innocent was dead. They gathered up his remains and laid them to rest, along with most of his papers (They didn't hold much with superstitious "canonicity"), and some drawings that had been Firefoots.

And then what sorrow met their eyes as they gathered for the DAY- Wilwa, that same who discovered 538 new species of butterflies in her lifetime, they found against the wall, pinned with a single long nail. Even the Bear, it seems, is not without a sense of subtlety.

But wait, the breath hadn't quite left her! "Who did this to you?" they cried.

But all she said was "Tell the Mormegil that Wilwarin is here", and then she died.

Alas, the sorrow that was theirs!

Living:

Boromir88
Dancing Spawn of Ungoliant
Durelin
Gurthang
Laitaine
Lalaith
littlemanpoet
Meneltarmacil
Nonnacedak
SamwiseGamgee
The Saucepan Man

Dead:

Oddwen (Mod) - Skeletonized by Wolves on NIGHT 1
Mithalwen (Werewolf) - Cheesily lynched on DAY 1
Alcarillo (Villager) - Smashed to bits on NIGHT 2
Mormegil (Villager) - Blown away on NIGHT 2
CaptainofDespair (Ranger) - Innocent blood rejected by nature, received by men on DAY 2
Encaitare (Villager) - Thrown off a cliff by a Bear on NIGHT 3
Firefoot (Sherriff) - Killed by clowns on NIGHT 3
Gil-Galad (Werewolf) - Lynch'ed!! on DAY 3
Arcticstorm (Sherriff) - Touched by a ten foot pole on NIGHT 4
Wilwarin (Villager) - This fine specimen displayed on NIGHT 4

It is now DAY 4. Have fun.

**note**

I will be out of town until Sunday. Please forward any DAY and following NIGHT questions/business to Shelob.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 06:24 AM   #275
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Predictions for Day Four

I'm writing this post during NIGHT phase in order to post as soon as I can on DAY 4 ...

1. I'll survive the Night.

So why am I predicting my own survival? No, I'm not a werebeast. Rather, the werebear won't kill me because I'm diverting suspicion from her. Yes, look for a female, I think; potentially Lalaith. Further, the werewolf will leave me alone because all your suspicions against me are diverting attention away from her too (yes, female again, is my guess, like Dancing Spawn of Ungoliant. Can't help thinking SPM is onto something there.

2. The Seer will be killed tonight, attacked by both werebear and werewolf, because that person has not bee subtle enough to escape their notice.

3. Arcticstorm will escape death for one more night because neither werebeast can afford to allow the Seer to stay alive for another night.

4. The Seer will have dreamed of me last night, because of so much suspicion directed my way. And therefore will have been apprised of my innocence. But fat lot of good that does me, with seer dead. If the Seer has, by some crazy chance survived the Night, please vouch for me before you die, because you know I'm innocent.

5. Dancing Spawn of Ungoliant and Nonnacedak will not have been killed, because I think the former is the Bear and the latter is the remaining Wolf. Spawn voted for me when the issue was well decided, to keep suspicion on me.

If, by some bizaare chance, our Hunter has led the werewolf and werebear to believe him to be the Seer, he will have pulled off a major strategy coup, and we are on our way to winning, against all odds. If this has been the case, congratulations on a game most excellently played.

I recommend a double lynching of Spawn & Nonnacedak; better to survive and face the wrath of Moddwen

++ Dancing Spawn of Ungoliant
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 06:44 AM   #276
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Quote:
It's not inconceivable that Lmp had the same suspicion as I did about arcticstorm and set about flushing him out on purpose with his accusations.

You give me far too much credit.
Au contraire, mon cher boulanger, I know you to be a most intelligent chap, and if I could work it out then so could you, easily.
You made a comment yesterday I found rather interesting:

Quote:
Or maybe he'll (Arcticstorm) survive because they figure the other evil party will go after him. Or they'll both take a stab at who they think the Seer might be instead

A fair point, perhaps. But could it also be interpreted as a message to your fellow-furry? The bear and the remaining wolf do not know each other's identities, they cannot communicate by PM. By this stage of the game they are enemies, the bear will be trying to kill the wolf. But one thing unites them, they would both want the Shirriff dead, but they would also want another kill in the night. They had to make sure they were both following the same plan.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:46 AM   #277
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

White Tree

This will be my only post you'll see from me in a while. I'm going on a little trip, but should be back by 6 or so, so I'll be able to vote and weigh in and all the rest, just you won't see many posts from me until later.

lmp, I am more sure of your innocence today mo so then yesterday. I think you will have to do some explaining (for me atleast). I agree that the wolves would not stick together so closely especially on day 1. That would have to be the boldest move I would have seen played, it does give you no flexibility. The only thing is, the wolves could have set this plan up, but not intending one of their own to be caught on Day 1. So, that I think you'll need to explain to me, because I can not know your innocence, and it'll be you or if the Seer steps out that will have to convince me.

I know suspicions of me are arrising. I will say this before I go, if I was the bear I must be a really stupid bear to continually vote the same way people have claimed the bear would vote. Would you not think? Anyway, when I get back I'll explain more if needed.

As far as catching the bear. I think it's accurate to say the bear does not care who gets lynched as long as its not himself/herself. So, either the bear votes very early (Durelin) who has often done so, though this may be because of not wanting to get up. Or the bear votes typically late, hoping to get a double lynching. (When I look through the votes I'll give some insight).

I am less inclined to believe it's Durelin. She did defend Captain when he was being put up for werebearary. I don't think a bear would do that, if the bear does not care who gets lynched. In fact, if she was the bear, she would know Captain was not the bear, therefor probably would have voted for Captain, knowing she'd be killing an innocent.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:11 AM   #278
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Oh, and another point, I am quite baffled by Lmp's post above. First he says I'm the bear and dancing spawn is the wolf.
Then he says spawn is the bear and Nonnacedak is the wolf and suggests a double lynching of both of them (Nonnacedak was btw the first to vote for Gil the wolf two days running, so he's a pretty treacherous wolf if he is one...)
Old 08-19-2005, 07:32 AM   #279
Nonnacedak
Animated Skeleton

Well let me say first off I have yet to not vote for a wolf...... Mith, Gil, Gil. I would be willing to bet a day's worth of trout that LMP or Laitaine is the other wolf. The lonesome last wolf was trying to get suspision on me therefore voting for me just because I have been the bane of their existance.

I cant prove that Im not the bear or can I say that I think I have any Idea who it may be. If you must lynch me though so be it. At this point Im willing to take one for the village.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:49 AM   #280
Laitaine
Pile O'Bones

*raises eyebrows* Gil, a werewolf…*whistles*

Well, I never saw that coming, but clearly I was wrong
I still think the final werewolf is our fisher, Non.
Makes perfect sense for him to jump on wagon for Gil‘s kill,
His reasoning for doing so sound much like our dear Gil’s:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non
Yesterday I voted for Gil-Galad and I think today will be no different. Reasons for this vote have been said many times over so I feel I dont need to say why.
Compare:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil
after reviewing the posts, i have decided to cast my vote to

++Gurthang

no hard feelings chap, my reasons have already been said by other people, so instead of wasting time...

*eyes bulge*
Gil-galad was a wolf, my friends, we can’t believe his words.
Non sounds so much like him, he too should not be heard!.

Quote:
(Nonnacedak was btw the first to vote for Gil the wolf two days running, so he's a pretty treacherous wolf if he is one...)
Gil already’d been suspected for these past two days
It wasn’t like Non just decided he wanted his friend slayed.
Suspicion stacked against him, Gil really had no chance
I tell you, Non jumped on the wagon, saving his own pants!

*takes a deep breath, blows soothing D on recorder to calm self*

‘Twould not be fair to vote for him without his chance to speak.
But I tell you, in my eyes, Non, your future’s very bleak.
And now my friends, I must depart for the entire rest of day.
(I’m moving into college that’s about five hours away).
I doubt I will be able to come back before day ends,
But I don’t think it fair to vote now and not hear from you friends.
I have my firm convictions against that character Non,
But vote without his chance to speak? I will not have it done.

Friends, if I do not return, then my vote won’t be cast.
I realize this is risky, but I will not vote too fast.
By “fast,” I mean right now, because I’m leaving soon today.
Wish me luck upon my journey, and may you all find your way.

*bounds off with eighteen trunks and bags, tooting trusty recorder*