The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-23-2002, 09:47 PM   #1
steve
Wight

steve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to steve
Sting Of the Eagles, Elves and Warfare

I had posted this under the topic "middle earth airforce" but what I said was that it seems to me that if bid the Great Eagles that you may beable get their aid, but couldnt the elves, I say elves because they have the ebst marksmen in Middle Earth, why couldnt they (speaking from a strategist's point of view)why could the Elves use the Great Eagles as a mount like the men of Harad did with the Olipahnt or the Nazgul did with the Fell beasts, and use them for warfare?

Also on another subject, why could the Council of Elrond have sent the ring on one of the elven boats leaving from the Havens and keep it there, I would presume that the ring would be safe with the Valar because we see that not even Morgoth could destroy the Valar when he assailed them, so would it not be logical to send the ring there

[ October 23, 2002: Message edited by: steve ]
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 10:16 PM   #2
Ar-Luman
Animated Skeleton

Ar-Luman has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

To answer your first question, I do believe it is pheasable that the elves could do that, but I do not think for whatever reason the Eagles would allow that.

Secondly, to hide the ring in any capacity would not alleviate the problem, Sauron. If the ring had not been destroyed M.E would have fallen to the dark lord eventually. Even without the ring Saurons forces would have been able to conquer M.E. In the RotK when Gandalf lead the hosts of Gondor to the gates of the Dark Lord it was understood that they would not be able to defeat Sauron. And the army represented their was probably the greatest M.E had to offer.
Old 10-23-2002, 10:18 PM   #3
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Quote:
Also on another subject, why could the Council of Elrond have sent the ring on one of the elven boats leaving from the Havens and keep it there, I would presume that the ring would be safe with the Valar because we see that not even Morgoth could destroy the Valar when he assailed them, so would it not be logical to send the ring there
This was suggested at the Counci of Elrond and it was said that "They would not recieve it" It was a problem for Middle-earth to deal with.

[ October 24, 2002: Message edited by: Raefindel ]
Old 10-24-2002, 06:49 AM   #4
Bill Ferny
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bill Ferny has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Without looking at the books, I'm thinking that the only character to ever ride an eagle (at least in LotRs) was Gandalf. I think this is kind of the same deal as with Shadowfax. Both Shadowfax and the eagles are too noble or proud to be just rode around by anyone, not even elves.
Old 10-24-2002, 08:45 AM   #5
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Eagles in LoTR were no mere beasts. They were Maiar, on the same level as Gandalf or Saruman, and were the servants of the Vala Manwë himself.

I don't think any Elf is goin' scramble up on their back and say "Giddy-Up, Eagle!" At least not more than once.

[ October 24, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 10:42 AM   #6
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Were the Eagles actually Maiar? I thought they were servants of Manwe of a lesser degree.
Old 10-24-2002, 12:02 PM   #7
Matthew2754
Pile O'Bones

Matthew2754 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

The eagles were not Maiar. The Maiar were created by Iluvatar. The Eagles were created by Manwe. They were Kelvar as are men, Elves, and rabbits.
Matthew2754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 12:56 PM   #8
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Here's what Tolkien had to say about the matter, from Morgoth's Ring. (Apparently he couldn't make up his mind about it, either.)
Quote:
Considering the matter of Orcs, and whether their speaking ability implies that they have souls (fëar), he observes, "Only the Valar and Maiar are intelligences that can assume forms of Arda at will. Huan and Sorontar [Thorondor] could be Maiar – emissaries of Manwë. But unfortunately in The Lord of the Rings, Gwaehir and Landroval are said to be _descendants_ of Sorontar." In this essay, he rejects the idea of souls for Orcs, and adds, "The same sort of thing may be said of Huan and the Eagles: they were taught language by the Valar, and raised to a higher level–but they still had no fëar." Still, he changed his mind about Orcs and souls several time, and never came to a final conclusion–so it may be said of the Eagles that perhaps Thorondor was an emissary of Manwë, a Maia who, like Melian, was himself immortal and begat children who were not themselves immortal (nor necessarily even possessing a fëa, although they could speak).
As for me: I still regard Thorondor as a Maia. Whether Gwaihir was also is up in the air, but he was definitely on a higher plane than Shadowfax, (not that Shadowfax wasn't a great horse.)
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 09:17 PM   #9
Evenstar1
Wight

Evenstar1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Whether Gwaihir was also is up in the air, but he was definitely on a higher plane than Shadowfax...
Ha! Nice one, Birdland! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]