The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-24-2011, 12:47 PM   #121
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quarterfinals at Amon Sûl

Angband vs. Eregion

The day emerged warm but still crispy – like it could be only in the northern mountains ranges. “The Village”, west of the stadium, that had emerged for the high numbers of ordinary human tourists and local fans willing to attend the quarterfinals was busy from the early morning hours on – and that was early as the sun rose already around 3.30AM. The elves of Lothlórien and Rivendell had set up a joint camp south of Weathertop inviting all the elves from other realms to join them, while the Angband supporters were shown the fields north-east of the hills for camping. The players and their more high-brow supporters and all the starring guests had accommodation at the splendid new Norbury High hotel where they would be driven to the stadium with carts in the afternoon.

But “the Village” was the focal point for those attending the games; the place where all the vendors came to sell their exotic foods, Arda Cup related merchandise (mostly pirated), handcraft, sweets… and all the non-profit organizations had their stands there. Amnesty Interardan did especially draw a lot of folks around them, many of them signing the petition of “No more games in Valinor” –list. And all the performers: musicians, jugglers, live-statues, comedians, theatre groups, fortune-tellers, acrobats, dancers, prophets, gamblers, pick-pockets, tramps, hobos, hookers… all there to pick the pocket or the mind of the football tourists all around Arda, fairly or unfairly, but just to make a living.

~*~

The pre-games press conference was held at mid-day at the slopes of Weathertop where a theater-like stand had been constructed for such events – and to any theatrical performances after the games. All the captains praised the pitch and the stands, and the overall fluency of the organizations. And it was also predictable the captains made the normal mumbo-jumbo about the games ahead.

Let’s get the baseline…

Melkor of Angband: Elrond is a tough goalie to be the youngster he is, but we will prevail in the end with our experience and stamina. And it takes more than one Glorfindel to score against us, he should remember as he has met my Balrogs earlier.

Elrond of Eregion: I know Melkor talks tough but he has been defeated many times in history – and I’m confident we’ll be ones to add to that list today – even if we can’t send him anywhere in chains after we shut them down.

Manwë of Pelori: We appreciate Galadriel and many of her host, but Fëanor will never champion against a team led by me. Rest assured of that. A ban is a ban.

Galadriel of Lothlórien: We have a competitive team this year and Fëanor is not the only one who knows how to score for us. You media-guys over-estimate him – and you Manwë. We play our game, we, and then we’ll see who laughs in the end…

~*~

It's Psychology, stupid!

The first match between Angband and Eregion was about to start and the Weathertop Arena was full to the last bench. Just before the teams entered the pitch The Witch King came out from his private luxury-balcony from on top of the new tower of the Fortress Hill, one of the most luxurious of them all, and waved to the Angband crowds just beneath him on the north-east side of the stadium. The band of orcs, balrogs and other creatures of darkness cheered to him looking quite comfortable from that section of the stand – and many people realized only now that the north-eastern quarter of the stadium was a bit different than the rest of the venue; there were no benches to sit down, the steps were more rugged – as to “reflect the original mountainside” the leaflet introducing the stadium no-one had read said – and the sun was not shining there even if it was an afternoon match because of the new modernistic tower on top of the Fortress Hill cast a steady shadow over it.

But then the teams emerged from the tube beneath the pitch and the whole stadium went crying out aloud to cheer for their favourites. During the opening handshakes the racket was so loud no one heard the announcers’ introductions to the game. Some people thought they caught The Witch King to cheer quite loudly for Elrond as well when he was introduced. Odd or not, who knows?

The name of the game became obvious after the few testing minutes to start the game. Eregion played actively from defense looking for chances to make fast counters and Angband spread evenly across the field trying to avoid packing their players in a lump and looking to cut off any long balls forwards Eregion might try out. Supported by the majority of the crowd Eregion was really trying to make a game.

Anytime they had a chance, Elladan and Elrohir did their best to open runs for Glorfindel and Eärendil but the Balrogs, Morgoth and the Great Werewolf of Angband managed to cut the runs – forcing the Eregion forwards off the ball or to shoot it wide if they got it. Ungoliant was having an easy game even if it looked like Eregion was the more active team. And yes, that is true. To the growing astonishment of all the crowds Angband played it cool and almost passive the first half an hour with no hurry to go on offence, just cutting the Eregion attacks and laying low letting Eregion do the running.

But suddenly they just changed gear. Eregion’s defenses were totally taken by surprise by Angband becoming serious in the offence just out of the blue – and for a moment it seemed there was nothing to do for team Eregion but to hope Elrond would save them. And he did!

Shots were raining down on Elrond – and he denied them!

Ancalagon shot it towards the upper left corner from thirty meters but Elrond tipped it away with his fingers at the last moment.

Thuringwethil sent Tevildo free from the right corner of the box but the one-timer went just inches past the right pole of the goal.

Tilion got into one on one with Elrond but the linesman called it off-side.

Morgoth gave a free kick from 25 meters and hit the crossbar – from the rebound Tevildo headed the Ball to the lower corner of the goal… just for Elrond to deny him!

The teams went into the half-time with 0-0. The crowds were nervous but also excited about the game turning into a classic under their very eyes. The men and elves were anxious about the strong show team Angband made the last fifteen minutes of the first half, and the coolness of the Angband team; the feeling that they hadn’t really tried their best thus far just send shivers to the fans of Eregion who made the majority of the crowd.

As anticipated, the second half was more lively than the first as it seemed the courtesies had been paid and the opponent had been checked – and now both teams went for it in earnest. At the early stages of the half Eärendil shot a nice volley forcing Ungoliant to a parade-save – only to be countered by Tilion hammering a shot just past the post as Asfaloth had it’s hoof to meddle with the shot. But the Eregion team were forced to defend more and more by the minute as Angband was just forcing it their way. Glorfindel was calling for passes but Balrogs #1 and #2 kept him away from any coming his way totally frustrating him – and making him look smaller and insecurer minute by minute.

And when Angband really started rolling their attacks forwards, Eregion players seemed to be a step behind more often than not – and that resulted in some card-taking from late tackles: both Elrohir and Eärendil took yellow cards, the latter one causing a free kick from about thirty meters for gripping the wing of Thuringwethil when she was about to receive a pass from Morgoth. To their luck the tremendous shot from the free-kick by Tevildo went just over the crossbar as Elrond would have had no chance to stop it.

And little by little the chances for any counter-attacks by Eregion died down as Angband pressed ever more fiercely. And finally Ancalagon beat the ball in from a nice pass by Thuringwethil. It was a classic “twist of the tail” shot that left Elrond armless against it.

There were still twenty minutes to go and Eregion threw in all they had to gain an equalizer, but Angband introduced their pressure-defense basically disarming Eregion from all the weapons they might have. Angband cut away all the offensive passes, they cut away all the lines of passing by fast movement as well, they cut away the forwards from receiving the ball and pressed on anyone trying to bring the ball upwards in the first place.

At the last moments Glorfindel made a run sneaking off from the pressure of the midfielders and got the pass from Eärendil to speed his way. And he was just reaching the box when he heard a Balrog yelling at him “Eagle’s cleft!” from behind – for a wink of an eye he was baffled, and before he could react again the great beast was on him and they both rolled down to the ground. The referee judged the Balrog had touched the ball first before hitting Glorfindel and it was a goal kick to Angband.

Glorfindel’s runs were much more timid after that incident and Eärendil was just too closely watched by Morgoth watching he wouldn't escape him this time. So there pretty little for Eregion to do any counterplay: Angband’s midfield and defenses were simply overpowering them. And so it was that Angband won, 1-0, after a really strong performance.

There was no question about which team dominated the field and many elves and men gave the Angband-team their due respects when they went on cheering around the pitch for their victory. Eregion offense only managed three shots towards Ungoliant under the formidable pressure of Angband defenses – and against such a quality keeper that was just too little – and most people in the audience realized that. Eregion had been just shut out, ironically that had been the way they themselves had marched to reach this stage of the tournament.

~*~

After the game the AKM met two celebrities having a chat with champagne and oysters in the Fortress Hill Tower’s lofty upper lobby.

The AKM: So what did you think about the game?

The Witch King: Well, the right team won. And please note, because they defended better.

Gil-Galad: It must be sadly accepted that it was also the better team that won. Even my younger nephew and great friend can’t do it quite alone.

The Witch King: Agreed. Elrond played marvelously yet again. If he’d be keeping the goal behind a stronger team he could be a title-winning goalie.

The AKM: Could I ask what brought you here to see the quarterfinals?

Gil-Galad: Did you know I met Elendil here back then, and then we marched to Mordor for the Last Alliance… oh, those were the days. So it was quite simple: I wished to pay my homage to this place which will always have a special place in my heart.

The Witch King: I have some strong memories relating to this place as well. It was here we were actually nearest to destroy Mithrandir’s plan… you know I have pondered many times if I’d be given a new chance to perform better here at Amon Sûl, could I find that little extra to make it? It was so close we got the most sought after prize there is… but alas we failed then.

The AKM: Would you be willing to reflect on your own tournament this year, or even sharing some of your plan s for AC12?

Gil-Galad: It was a spiritless performance we gave this year, quite tame. I think some changing of climate would be welcome for the next season. Deciding to play in Mordor two years ago was a fresh idea but it wasn’t that any more this year.

The Witch King: Couldn’t agree more. I just felt the whole tournament that I couldn’t find that spark to light my game and am seriously planning to do something radically different the next season, actually I have invested quite a lot for it already, but let’s come back to the details when the plans get further.

Gil-Galad: Hey, we should form a team for next year called “The Lifeless Forwards”!

The Witch King: Hehe.

~*~

Team Angband had made it plain they were not going to tolerate any journalists hanging outside their lockers after the game, but happily our reporter caught two shower-fresh players from team Eregion as they were exiting.

The AKM: So, how do you feel?

Elrond: What do you think?

Glorfindel: Losing never feels right, but I do think I have myself partly to blame. I was just not playing at my level.

Elrond: Oh, don’t blame yourself. I mean looking at your history it must have been quite agonizing to try and make play in between that special guard by the balrogs. Must have kindled dark memories…

Glorfindel: I thought before the game it wouldn’t affect my game, but maybe it did. Had I just scored, I had a chance!

Elrond: You could as well say that if I hadn’t let that tail-twist shot by Ancalagon in we’d have a different situation… So let’s not dwell on that.

The AKM: What would be the positive thoughts from you at the moment then?

Glorfindel: Well you know, even in defeat it was a real pleasure to play here. With all our involvement in something you could call Eriador at large, this must be the closest to being like a second home to us.

Elrond: We built the great stadium down to Rivendell two years ago, but this was as close one could get to playing at a home-venue. Real treat.

Glorfindel: We just need to make it better the next year.

The AKM: Before I’ll let you go, just your quick predictions for the final-match?

Elrond: Doriath wins Pelori 2-1.

Glorfindel: Angband wins Tol-In-Gaurhoth in a penalty shoot out.

Angband 1-0 Eregion
tot shots 17-13
on target 7-3
GOALS:
*71, 1-0 Ancalagon (Thuringwethil)
YELLOW CARDS:
*Angband- Morgoth, Balrog #1
*Eregion- Asfaloth, Figwit, Elrohir, Earendil
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #122
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye Quarterfinals at Doriath

(Doriath preview here.)

Doriath vs Valinor

There was quite a bit of surprise when it was announced that the match between Doriath and Valinor would be the first to be played, but it made sense. There was going to be a rocking full house for both contests, and the host committee did not wish to appear prejudiced making the night-loving Werewolves play too early. In addition, Tol In Gaurhoth certainly had the most unruly fans, and the hosts didn’t like the idea of attempting to start another game directly after a Tol In Gaurhoth win (which would mean riotous partying around the stadium or possibly in the stadium or on the actual field), or after a Tol In Gaurhoth loss (which might set off their supporters on a destructive rampage).

In previous years Elwe might have tried something to limit the number Tol In Gaurhoth supporters in his realm, but in the present climate it seemed too risky. There were more than a few rumblings regarding the Valar and the Valinorean host committee's treatment of “outsiders” these past few years, and there were rumors that the Blessed Realm would not be allowed to host any matches next Arda Cup, and Elwe did not want to give up the potential for an economic boost in the future.

And so it was that in the early evening Doriath residents were pouring from their homes and Valinor supporters from their inns, making their way down into beautiful Menegroth Stadium. The locals knew what to expect, but never ceased to be impressed by the workmanship of the Elves and Dwarves of old. Most of the Noldorin supporters of Valinor had also seen the stadium before, having been in attendance at the 2008 Arda Cup final when Formenos took home the title. Not to mention that Formenos had been in group C that year, which was hosted in Doriath as well. And even a few had been around to support Fingolfin and Aredhel’s Gondolin squad last year, which played in the Doriath hosted group G.

Some of Olwe’s supporters were familiar with the place as well, as Alqualonde had also been a group C guest in 2008, but for quite a few of the Vanyar, Teleri, and Ainu, the experience was brand new. The tickets were expensive as always, but free wine-stands and snack-bars are always a part of the package at Menegroth, so guests can easily get their money’s worth. The silver fountains and marble basins set in the floors and jutting from the walls and sitting astride various dividing walls looked magnificent as always, and the many carved figures and pillars designed as trees and branches and woven hangings completed the look.

Due to the distractions of the venue, the pre-game chants were heavily favoring the home side, but as game time approached all of the wandering Valinor fans got themselves to their seats and prepared to make some noise for their team. Doriath and Valinor both received great cheers and polite applause when they made their entrances. There was little in the way of feuds between the two squads, except perhaps Eol having a bit of a problem with Miriel and Nerdanel, the foremothers of Feanor’s sons, but he had not said anything leading up to the match and so most assumed there was nothing there other than shoddy journalists trying to create some bad blood.

And finally after so much anticipation the game was underway- a heavyweight battle between Valinor and Doriath!

The juggernaut offenses were what everyone was watching for, but in the early going both squads proved themselves to be complete teams, closing nicely and always pushing the action away from goal. The dashing speed of the Valinor trio was matched by Melian and Carcharoth, and the giant Elwe kept mighty Arien from having a chance at an aerial assault. And Beren and Mablung were always around to help in any way they could.

On the other side Tulkas marked Turin to keep him at bay, and Indis stayed with his partner Beleg, and Vaire and Nessa positioned themselves perfectly and without tiring as only the Ainu can. It seemed that Melian was keen to have her precise midfield push forward to try and overwhelm Valinor’s defense, but Elwe was frightened by the prospect of sudden counters without anyone to help and convinced Melian to continue playing it straight.

Instead it was Valinor that tried the idea first, exerting great pressure on Doriath. The forest realm broke away for a quick attack three times, but one pass sailed just barely over the end line before Beleg could snatch it, another one was won away by Tulkas, and the last yielded a snipe from Hurin, but Ingwe went down and smothered it.

Despite the threat Tulkas continued urging his squad ahead, and at minute 36 he was rewarded with a great passing series from the girls up front and Olwe, which led to Arien running in and leaving it unexpectedly behind her, drawing the knot of defenders away for just long enough to give Nerdanel an open strike and she sent it precisely through an opening into the net for the opening score of the contest!

Onlookers wondered whether Valinor would attempt to push even more after that in an attempt to really seize the momentum, but Tulkas decided he had better try and defend the lead going into the halftime break. Doriath had put together some dangerous runs while Valinor was attacking and he did not wish to tempt fate any longer, and as their defense had worked fine against Doriath’s strategy in the early going he trusted his decision. And indeed as the teams broke for halftime, Valinor still had their 1-0 lead, and Doriath had only managed a couple low-percentage shots that went up and over Ingwe.

When the game resumed it looked similar, with both sides spreading the field and not exerting too much pressure, but Doriath was definitely dominating possession. Thanks to some nifty solo runs Eol for Doriath and Miriel for Valinor both gained decent looks at the goal, but both keepers rose to the occasion to preserve the score. As the minutes ticked along Tulkas became uncomfortable with how much of the game was being played in their own half of the field with Doriath in possession, and how many corner opportunities they were gaining.

Feeling it was only a matter of time before the equalizer came, Tulkas ordered Valinor to push forward again and gain a two goal cushion on their opposition. They outmanned Doriath in the offensive zone and for a time it looked like they’d get their wish, but Melian and her defense always did enough to toe balls away and deflect shots or force them wide, and Elwe looked pleased, knowing Valinor was now open to the counter again. And finally, at minute sixty, Doriath sprang it. Carcharoth beat Miriel to the ball and touched it to Beren who one-timed it forward to Luthien who booted it low all the way down the left side.

Like magic the ball slowed drastically as it approached the end line right along the penalty box line, allowing Doriath to get it before it went out. Rushing to it was Nessa and Hurin and from the inside Vaire, but Hurin got there first and immediately sent it screaming in towards the keeper. Ingwe went to grab it or at least bat it away, but the ball hooked away from the goal just enough to allow the onrushing Mablung, just half a step in front of his mark, to get it first, and he delivered a flying header right inside the near post and the game was level!

Taking advantage of the celebration delay, Tulkas swiftly consulted his fellows as to what strategy to follow next. Play it straight and go for the win at the end? Dial up the pressure immediately? Try to send it to overtime as is? In the end everyone was worried about another Doriath quick-strike and decided to go back on an even keel and see what Doriath did about it.

For the next several minutes the game was played level, but then Elwe and Melian unexpectedly ordered big time pressure, and Valinor decided to try and weather the storm and provide their forwards with a chance at a clever quick strike. But they never got the chance, as Doriath’s passing was just out of this world, and the pushed and prodded and tested until finally Beleg had a point blank drive. Ingwe managed to get in front of it, but it ricocheted away from him and out to Melian on the penalty spot, and she sent it back to the box line in the air for Beren who booted it out of the air with an athletic spinning kick and sent the ball over top of the defenders but with just enough topspin to come down and ring off the crossbar and down into the goal!

It was a fantastic kick, and the Doraith faithful just went wild! They had never lost confidence in their team, and now they were where they ought to be- in the lead as the clock ticked down.

Knowing they could not afford to give up another goal, Valinor pulled back to defend and collect themselves, and then with about ten minutes left they went forward more aggressively than ever. Arien gained a header but sent it over, and Melian pulled all the midfielders back to help. Miriel and Nerdanel played a brilliant combination to fool the defense and Nerdanel slid one to the post, but Huan made a leap that only the great hound could and tipped it away! And then- disaster.

Yavanna sent a high hanging corner in, and Elwe rose up above the field and headed it mightily back towards midfield. Indis and Vaire were waiting there for Valinor to send anything that direction back forward, but Doriath was gambling one of their defenders would manage to send it out and Beleg, Turin, and Hurin were already rushing out. Before Vaire could touch it, Hurin flashed in front of her and knocked it sideways to Beleg who sent it straight down the middle, perfectly releasing Turin all by himself into the Valinor half of the field! Valinor rushed to catch up, but they were too far behind to help Ingwe, and he just had no chance one on one with the goal-scoring leader and just like that Doriath was up by two goals!

The noise in the Doriath half of the arena was ear-bleeding, and players up and down the field were celebrating- Beleg and Hurin picked up Turin in a jumbled hug, Melian and Elwe embraced, so very proud of the team they’d put together and trained, and Carcharoth and Huan barked and howled in unison! With their defense the opposition was not going to score twice in the final few minutes, and indeed Valinor didn’t score even one desperate goal at the end, and after swiftly exchanging polite words and jerseys with the opposition team Doriath leaped into the stands to celebrate with their fans. They were headed to the grand coliseum of Amon Hen! They were into the semifinals!

Doriath 3-1 Valinor
tot shots 18-17
on target 8-5
GOALS:
*36, 0-1 Nerdanel (Arien)
*60, 1-1 Mablung (Hurin)
*72, 2-1 Beren (Melian)
*86, 3-1 Turin (Beleg)
YELLOW CARDS:
*Doriath- Elwe
*Valinor- Olwe, Nessa

Following the match the players from Valinor were largely unavailable, understandably heartbroken from the loss, but the captain Tulkas made his required media appearance a few minutes after the game ended.

MESPN: Are you going to captain your own team again next year, or try something different?

Tulkas: Well, nothing is set in stone, but I would lean strongly towards captaining my own side yet again.

MESPN: What sort of team will you be looking to put together next time around?

Tulkas: Honestly, I was quite happy with this team. We had the bad luck of running into the hottest team in the tourney playing in their home stadium in the quarterfinals. I think anything less than that we would've overcome.

MESPN: So, have you already spoken with your players about re-signing?

Tulkas: Not specifically, no, it's too soon to be talking business at this point, but I think there is a basic understanding I have with some of them. I'm certain my beloved Nessa will continue on with me, and we've really hit it off with Arien and I'm fairly certain she's on board with any plans. Not to mention Arien loves having Nerdanel and Miriel feeding her up front, so I'm hopeful that they will be back, and I've spoken to Nerdanel regarding one of her sons being interested in joining her, so, we'll see...

Last edited by the phantom; 07-24-2011 at 02:34 PM.
the phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:08 AM   #123
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye Quarterfinals at Doriath continue...

Tol In Gaurhoth vs Westernesse

The halls and tunnels leading into the arena were absolutely packed- the celebrating Doriath fans were pushing their way out to go party, while the excited Westernesse and Tol In Gaurhoth fans were rushing in for the night match. Some of the Westernesse fans from Numenor were familiar with the place, having visited Doriath during the 2008 finals where team Armenelos played in the third-place match (against Tol In Gaurhoth no less)- though that particular match had taken place in the secondary stadium a little ways away in the forest.

While Tol In Gaurhoth had also played in that match, their fans had not taken so much time to tour the area and experience the culture, and so the stadium was quite new to them. Many of the Wights and Werewolves appreciated the beauty, but not surprisingly given their natures many of them were noting the beauty with a mind towards damaging it should their squad be cheated in any way. NiennaWight and FeaWight in particular had an eye towards the sculptures, wondering what “improvements” they might make with their painting tools. AganWight and LegateWight on the other hand were keen to take a closer look at the woven hangings, in order to determine how easily they might burn.

But there was no time to linger- the game would not wait on them, and it was starting soon. In fact the end of the lines had not yet reached their seats when the teams were introduced, and everyone hastened all the more. Westernesse looked proud and confident taking the field, but the Werewolves more so. Tol In Gaurhoth and their fans were still holding the same attitude as in the last round, where they simply laughed at the thought that their opposition could challenge them. “Westernesse- ha! Mere mortals cannot hope to challenge the might of our Wight-Wolf hybrids!” shouted The GreatElvenWight, facing the TIG section of fans and whipping them into a frenzy.

As the game began, however, things weren’t so simple. Tol In Gaurhoth was quick and strong and fearsome, but they could gain no ground on the mighty men and women of Westernesse, whose tactics and positioning and discipline outshone the TIGites. The forwards and midfielders of TIG were trying to make lengthy runs as if they were playing lesser competition, and their fellows too often were caught just watching and not preparing to receive it so early, and so Westernesse took it time after time and got things going on the other end.

When Westernesse put on the pressure TIG refused to help their defense too much, as they were chomping at the bit to be released for a long counter, but Westernesse played it smart and beautifully and didn’t give them the chance, but instead gained decent opportunities for their scorers. Ar Pharazon deflected one wide off a corner, Elros drove one wide from 35 meters, and Ar Adunakhor placed a beautiful header that forced ShastaWolf to make a tough save indeed.

The crowd was just shocked, but NogWolf wasn’t caught off guard on the field. “I told you it would be like this! We can’t be showing off. Let’s bring it back in a bit. Carefully- let’s show them we’re more than animals.”

And quite swiftly most of TIG went along with him, and for the first time they looked somewhat threatening, now taking their own turns controlling the ball and turning away Westernesse more quickly with defensive help. Finally around the 30 minute mark TIG gained their first substantial threat when InzilWolf sent it forward and across the goal box, where GwathWolf managed to nudge the ball’s course towards the net. Tar Atanamir however sprawled out to bat it aside however, and the Westernesse supporters gave him a great ovation.

But just minutes later those same fans found themselves quite silent, as TIG built up another nice attack and NogWolf found himself unmarked only 20 meters out and blasted it through an empty slot. Tar Atanamir deflected it, but not well, and the ever pounce-ready NerWolf swiftly kneed the bouncing ball back towards the net and gained her side the lead!

For the remaining ten minutes of the half TIG played a possession game, and did surprisingly well at it for Werewolves- much better than Westernesse was expecting anyway, who managed only an awkward deflection and a weak off-balance header against the Werewolf defense. The Wights and Wolves applauded their team as they went to the lockers, but also urged them on to greater heights. “Come on!” screamed BrinWight. “Get your act together in there and come out and beat them into submission!”

As the second half started it looked like TIG was keen to do just that, but playing more frantically and less controlled did not help against Westernesse despite TIG’s athleticism, and the game began to turn towards the mortals. At minute 63 it turned fully, as Tar Telperien toed a pass away to Malbeth, and with his gift of foresight in full operation he boomed it forward and to the right, knowing things would somehow work out that direction. NilpWolf was first to it, but he couldn’t control the ball coming down and when it squirted away Ar Adunakhor was first to it and he sent the ball skidding towards the goal into the middle of the field. The other defenders were completely wrong-footed, as they had slowed up and started turning when they saw NilpWolf would clearly be receiving it, and they allowed Elros and Ar Pharazon to dash right past them, breaking behind them at the precise moment Ar Adunakhor sent his pass.

ShastaWolf was a fine keeper, but had no prayer with both High King Elros and the legendary Golden-boot Ar Pharazon running in unopposed, and the game was level with 25 minutes left!

The TIG supporters were now quite shaken with what they were witnessing. Their team was not invincible after all, and after having long enough to observe Westernesse’s game they were impressed against their will. It would take a quality effort to get through this match!

On the field, TIG debated what course of action to take. They figured Westernesse wouldn’t change what they were doing, so it was up to them to dictate how the game would finish. Defend for overtime? Defend for a shootout perhaps? They felt they had an advantage there for certain. But Westernesse was scrappy and could sneak in a last second goal, so perhaps they should push for a goal in regulation to win it?

NogWolf was undecided, and he was getting different input from different teammates. The defenders did not want to suffer the embarrassment of giving up a late goal to Westernesse, and preferred to go full-barrel attack, as that way they would be said to be at a disadvantage if Westernesse got a quick counter for the win. But NogWolf thought it was bad policy to base the strategy on protecting the pride of a few people.

NerWolf and GwathWolf both favored going full-bore lockdown defense, including assigning them and PhantomWolf to defensive duty. Surely with their athletic skills they could shut Westernesse out and get to a shootout, where GwathWolf and NerWolf were both quite confident that both they and their other shooters would score, while ShastaWolf would come up with a save, or pressure the Westernesse shooters into missing.

Not completely settled on the idea, NogWolf ordered a lockdown for the time being, figuring it couldn’t be bad to cut off Westernesse’s attack. And cut it off they did. Westernesse could do nothing at all with each Werewolf marking a man one on one. Normally such a strategy would be too tiring for a squad, but these were Werewolves, and they had played some good possession game in the first half of the contest and were thus fresher than they might have been, and Westernesse suddenly looked quite impotent.

As the minutes of this treatment ticked past, those two instigators SallyWolf and PhantomWolf began to feel offended by the idea that they were going to go into overtime against a squad that was so obviously inferior. Finally PhantomWolf began begging NogWolf, “Let me loose, Noggins, let me loose on them!” NogWolf stared thoughtfully at the clock and scoreboard and at the Westernesse players and then whispered something to PhantomWolf that seemed to calm him down, and then proceeded to hold up five fingers and wave them in a circle. The Werewolves all noticed, but did not change their gameplay in the least, defending doggedly, kicking it around in back, then lobbing it to the other end to make Westernesse start over.

And then suddenly at minute 81, (five minutes after NogWolf had made his signal), KuruWolf took a standard time-wasting pass and launched it straight down the middle. This wasn’t completely surprising, as TIG had been booting it away to Westernesse occasionally, but this time PhantomWolf was already tearing down the field towards the goal, completely catching Westernesse off guard. The ball came down in front of PhantomWolf and on the second bounce reached the box at the same time as he did, and the Wights and Wolves in the crowd were just screaming! He touched it deftly down and rushed in, made the keeper commit and banged it to the other side!

But no- he was called off side! Westernesse breathed a huge sigh of relief as TIG supporters angrily clamored for a replay to be shown, and the hanging screen gave them their wish, and to their great anger it showed that PhantomWolf had clearly been nothing more than level when the pass was sent! Evidently the speed of the Werewolves was confusing to the refs, who didn’t see how he could have received it as far behind the defenders as he did while still being on side.

Even the cool-headed NogWolf was furious, and nearly joined KuruWolf in being written up for threatening the officials. But that was nothing compared to the reactions in the audience. Goblets, wrappers, little boxes- anything that could be thrown onto the field began raining down, and Westernesse fans and site officials began getting extremely nervous. If Westernesse now pulled out a late win, things were going to get extremely out of hand. Already many of the Wights were making preparations for causing property damage no matter what the outcome.

But Elwe and Melian were in attendance after their sovereign victory in the first game, and the pair was very wise, and sporting as well. And so it was that the big screen displayed an image of the pair booing the refs, looking quite severe and indignant, and the TIG supporters were mollified. How could they wreck the realm of a King and Queen that so rightly supported them?

And then it happened- Westernesse threw it in and booted it to the corner for Elros, but SkipWolf put on an astounding turn of speed and coming out from the goal box somehow beat everyone to it and clubbed the ball straight up the sideline. For the second time the ball found a streaking PhantomWolf, only this time he was obviously on side, as Tar Palantir and Malbeth were back in reserve. Rather than wait for the other forwards, a furious PhantomWolf angled towards the goal and rushed madly forward.

Tar Telperien was coming straight up the middle and had the angle to halt him, but PhantomWolf went headlong into her and though it was just a blur it seemed clear he had taken her and thrown her like a rag doll. The refs kept their cards in their pockets however- a makeup call for their blown off sides ruling perhaps? Then it was only the two far-sighted defenders left- Tar Palantir and Malbeth. PhantomWolf crushed the ball directly into the chin of Malbeth, felling him and amazingly receiving the ball right back to his feet without losing a step. Whether or not it was intentional no one may ever know. Then Tar Palantir went to the ground to block the way, but PhantomWolf hopped the ball over him and stepped over alongside it, making certain to stamp on Tar Palantir’s ribs as he did so.

And then it was just the keeper- Tar Atanamir. NogWolf could be heard howling, “Kill him!!” as PhantomWolf rushed towards the goal, and NerWolf boomed, “Plus plus Atanamir!!” Meanwhile the crowd had, as soon as the run started, begun chanting “Blood! Blood! Blood!” Tar Atanamir was no coward, but it was simply a bit much for him. PhantomWolf’s face simply screamed “murder” and given the attitude of the team and crowd the thought flashed through Tar Atanamir’s mind that the angry Werewolf might very well fatally bite him and screw the consequences. Tar Atanamir’s knees gave way and he crumpled backwards into the goal leaving PhantomWolf free to slot it home, and Tol In Gaurhoth was back in front!

The roar of the TIG supporters was beyond deafening, meanwhile NogWolf signaled to the squad to lock down and shut Westernesse out the rest of the way. And indeed it was just as easily done as said given that Tar Palantir had cracked ribs and possibly worse, Malbeth had a broken jaw and a concussion, and Tar Telperien had a nasty gash on her shoulder, a badly twisted knee, and an arm that appeared to be out of socket. The Werewolves could sag off of them and focus on the rest of the team, making it impossible for Westernesse to mount any sort of attack.

In no time at all the contest was over and the Tol In Gaurhoth team was tearing the goalposts apart, intending to keep the pieces as a trophy. Their fans rushed onto the field to join them. Security looked for a minute like they may try and stop them, but Elwe waved them to stand down. It wouldn’t do any good, and might make things turn violent. Westernesse and their supporters fled the arena as swiftly as possible, feeling somewhat ashamed but refusing to slow their retreat nonetheless. They were a great and proud team that had championship potential and they had played their very very best, but the creatures of Tol In Gaurhoth were just a bad matchup for them.

Meanwhile the TIG fans continued to party on the field, thrilled to be headed to Arda Cup’s biggest stage, which was exactly where they belonged!

Tol In Gaurhoth 2-1 Westernesse
tot shots 19-14
on target 7-4
GOALS:
*35, 1-0 NerWolf (NogWolf)
*63, 1-1 Ar Pharazon (Elros)
*82, 2-1 PhantomWolf (SkipWolf)
YELLOW CARDS:
*TIG- SallyWolf, NerWolf, KuruWolf
*Westernesse- Ar Adunakhor, Elendil
Old 07-25-2011, 07:58 AM   #124
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
back at Weathertop

Lothlorien vs. Pelori

As the stadium at Weathertop was filling for the 2nd match, tensions on the ancient hill were rising. It was expected Lothlorien would have the crowd advantage being the Middle-earth team, but who would dare root against the Vala, unless you were an orc or vile, dark creature of an old world. No such creature could be found at Amon Sul for this match.

A wolf from the Misty Mts who cheered for Angband in their game against Eregion said to reporters afterward: "Why would I watch these losers play? Wake me up when the Angband plays again and the moon has risen."

So, the stadium was being filled when many Elves and Men in the area and while everything was expected to remain friendly, Lothlorien probably would not receive a huge crowd advantage, playing in Middle-earth against Pelori. As much as the Elves and Men wanted to get behind Lothlorien, they couldn't disrespect the Valar. Then thousands of Hobbits were also turning up at the gates and they were fully behind the Valar. Even with the misfortunes of their own team this year, The Shire is a great footballing nation and the Hobbits would not sit brooding at home, waiting for next year. Feeling disrespected in Beleriand, they would get behind the mighty Valar who had always treated them kindly and graciously.

*~*~*

The Pelori came looking quite normal and average. You could not tell by looking at their appearance, it was just something in their aura that carried both majesty and power, and respect. Lothlorien was trying to look unimpressed and Galadriel was trying to keep her team focused on the task at hand. If they kept to the gameplan, she was confident her team would triumph on this day.

Before the first whistle, however, Feanor had something he wanted to say to Manwe and company: "You may be able to dispossess me, and ban me from Valinor, but we're in Middle-earth. You hath not the power here as you do in your own lands."

Manwe stayed expressionless and it was Mandos who replied: "You know not of what you speak. We were always caring over Middle-earth as much as we cared over our children in Valinor. You forget we know how many things will unfold and, we understood what Eru saw in the brave Hobbit-folk. We had seen the courage and humility of Hobbits and knew they would not need our help in their troubles, my young Feanor."

Feanor was steaming and shot back wondering how Mandos feels being the mouthpiece of his greater brother. And a mouthpiece of a mouthpiece, to be completely honest, since Manwe was only the representative of Eru. "This makes you what, Namo, assistant to the regional manager?" But seeing as neither Mandos, nor Manwe, nor any of the Valar were responding, Feanor barked at the ref to blow his whistle.

Feanor's trash talking was of no benefit to Lothlorien as he was completely erratic to begin the game. Running around, almost like he didn't have a head, trying to challenge the Valar who were ever so smoothly passing it around and holding possession.

The pre-whistle chatter was actually more entertaining then the whole of the first half. Lothlorien was shutting Pelori down defensively, but spectators had to wonder how much was Manwe really pushing the action? Even if none could surpass the sublime skill of the Valar passing game, it wasn't materializing into any further excitement. If there was no opening, Pelori would just pull everything back to the mid-field and try to start all over again. The problem was, against Gandalf's defense there wasn't going to be any openings and so fans suspected you have to play riskier and put pressure on the wizard, but was Manwe willing to do that? Probably not most judged. Feanor was trying his hardest to steal possession and get a counter started, but for the most part he was unsuccessful. Galadriel was yelling orders at him to defend and he would not be getting any help until he cooled down.

As the 1st half was winding down and many in the stands began exiting to get ahead of the rush for the restrooms and concession lines, they missed the only excitement and goal of the 1st period. There wasn't anything particularly beautiful or brilliant, it was just a solid and (admittedly) deserved goal. After about 10 minutes where Pelori was able to keep possession in Lothlorien's back-third, some of the deeper Valar finally started venturing forward and forced Lothlorien to seriously defend for the first time in the match.

Pelori's first corner was directed towards Varda who made contact with her head but the attempt went inches wide. Galadriel collected the ball and was going to try to take a quick goal kick and perhaps start a counter, but the ref had judged Varda's header took a slight deflection off Haldir's leg and thus Pelori would receive another corner-kick. Haldir was then booked for unsportsmanlike conduct as he screamed at the ref "If you were a bit shorter I'd think you a dwarf, but your eyes are worse than the Naugrim!"

So, Pelori was given another corner, and they are too good of a team not to capitalize on this opportunity. And this time when Eonwe and Varda were under heavy guard, Ilmare passed it wide to Irmo and no one on Lothlorien marked Vana for it was most unusual to see her up this far. She was positioned at the near post, Galadriel was late anticipating where the ball was going and Vana had an easy time knocking it into the empty net. After the goal Gimli was then given a yellow for the ref heard the dwarf tell Haldir "I would cut him down to size for you, but he would be an insult to all of my folk."

The referee looked relieved to see the teams head into the lockerroom and who knew what was going to take place in the Lothlorien room? Feanor was clearly trying to supress his anger, but would he let it out and inspire Lothlorien to better efforts, or keep shutting down, trying to do it all on his own? And Galadriel was also angry, angered by her team's 1st half performance and how they played the last 5 minutes.

The 2nd began and Pelori again went straight to their masterful possession game. Indeed, nothing seemed different about the Lothlorien play at all. Was anything said to inspire them at half time, or were they mentally shutting down already? Well there was a few things different with Lothlorien, they were looking more frantic and uncontrolled. They were completely off the game plan though, as they tried to rough up the Valar in order to knock them off their possession game.

All it did though was get Lothlorien more cards. Galadriel had prided herself on good team work, and it seemed to have been working great the first few rounds, but now that was falling apart. The maverick attitude had seemed to sweep over the entire Lothlorien and it was toxic. As Haldir was sent off on a rough challenge only 11 minutes into the 2nd. Already down 1-0 against the Valar, now Lothlorien was one player short.

The crowd started murmuring on whether this would be the end score (and many had missed the only goal!). Despite Feanor's temperment and Lothlorien getting rougher, they were still technically a good team and the Valar had much respect for Gandalf and Galadriel, even if they might have disagreed with some of her decisions. Would they want to put this game out of reach and run up the score then?

All the speculation of what Manwe would do was just that, speculation and in the 71st minute an opportunity to score again presented itself to Pelori, and Manwe would be foolish to not try to take advantage. Irmo beat Celeborn and was wide outside the box, Eonwe appeared to have a step on Gandalf as Irmo looked to find him with a cross. However, Boromir pulled out and blasted his horn, Irmo flubbed the cross and Eonwe stopped his run as Galadriel had an easy time catching it. The ref stopped play and looked to his assistants, as they knew Gandalf was forbidden blinding anyone with his fireworks, but weren't sure of the rules about the renown horn of Gondor. And was this a denial of a clear goal-scoring opportunity which would mean Boromic could be sent off with a straight red card? After some discussion the official awarded a free kick from Irmo's position and a yellow to Boromir.

Ilmare stepped in to give the free kick and connected with Varda who yet again made perfect contact with her head. Only this time, it didn't go wide, it didn't take any slight deflection, it was in the back of the net. 2-0 Pelori, the Hobbits in the stands went crazy and were probably just happy to cheer for a team that could, I don't know...play? The Elves and Men in support of Lothlorien clapped politely and seemed about ready to accept the reality of the situation.

This time Manwe did pull everything back and even then had a fairly easy time keeping the ball away from Feanor. Lothlorien had not been a threat on offense all day and Feanor still wasn't getting any help up front, as the back of Lothlorien appeared broken. Either that or they had run out of gas chasing after and trying to rough up the Valar in this half and were worn out playing with 10 people for nearly 30 minutes.

Some carelessness by Nahar, who tried to play a sloppy pass to Mandos was intercepted by Boromir and it led to a Feanor goal in the 84th minute. Feanor had a fun time faking Mandos out of the play and on speed alone raced passed Gwaihir. He pounded a close distance rocket passed a diving Manwe. Feanor smirked at seeing Manwe on the ground, but Manwe slowly collected the ball and handed it back to the ref.

The remaining 6 minutes was completely undramatic as Pelori was not going to let Lothlorien come even, especially with Lothlorien being a player-short. The Hobbits had figured in the stands that Manwe and his defenders made that mistake on purpose, because Eru had commanded it. It was a question of honor with Pelori, despite whatever feelings they had for Feanor, Lothlorien was a 'good' team, and thus Pelori was only permitted to win by 1-goal.

That was it. Pelori would for the first time advance to the Final 4 to play the odd-ones werewolf and despite Lothlorien advancing well beyond what they had before, you could not help but feel they were disappointed to not making it further. And as for Feanor, he was down right fuming when both teams met at mid-circle to shake hands and exchanged well wishes and hugs. For Mandos said after Feanor walked away, refusing to congradulate Pelori on their advancement: "You were allowed to add another goal to your name, but it will be a long time before you get what you truly seek."

Lothlorien 1-2 Pelori
tot shots 10-15
on target 4-6
GOALS:
*40, 0-1 Vana (Irmo)
*74, 0-2 Varda (Ilmare)
*84, 1-2 Feanor (Boromir)
YELLOW CARDS:
*Lothlorien- Boromir, Haldir, Gimli, Amroth
*Pelori- Gwaihir, Namo
RED CARDS:
*Lothlorien- Haldir (56, second yellow)
Old 07-25-2011, 08:40 AM   #125
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe ArdaCup.com Stats Report 8: The Quarterfinals

Bracket:

Power Ranking:

(Teams in bold are semifinalists, teams in italics are eliminated.)

Greatest gain:
  • +3 Angband
  • +2 Pelóri*, Valinor*
*[These teams were below the top 8 in the previous Power Ranking.]

Greatest loss:
  • -1 Eregion, Lothlórien

The Power Ranking is based on the aggregate of offensive and defensive ranking--the lower the aggregate, the higher the rank. Ties are broken by a) goal differential; and b) the Power Rank of their opponent.

The offensive ranking is based on the goals scored by the teams throughout the matches. Ties are broken by a) greater number of shots made on target; and b) greater number of shots made.

The defensive ranking is based on the goals allowed by the teams throughout the matches. Ties are broken by a) least number of shots allowed on target; and b) least amount of shots allowed.

Phantasy Numbers:
(Players in italics are from eliminated teams.)

GOALS + ASSISTS
6+3
Túrin (Doriath)

5+1
Arien (Valinor)

5+0
Ancalagon (Angband)

4+3
Fëanor (Lothlórien)

3+4
Maeglin (Anfauglith)
Elros (Westernesse)

3+3
Glorfindel (Eregion)
NogWolf (Tol-in-Gaurhoth)

3+2
Eönwë (Pelóri)
Legolas (Lothlórien)
Ar-Pharazôn (Westernesse)

3+1
Húrin (Doriath)
Eärendil (Eregion)
GwathWolf (Tol-in-Gaurhoth)
NerWolf (Tol-in-Gaurhoth)

2+4
Sauron (Wilderland)

2+3
Míriel (Valinor)
Thuringwethil (Angband)
Nerdanel (Valinor)
Varda (Pelóri)

1+4
Beleg (Doriath)

GOALKEEPER - RANKING
  1. 93.6% (29/31) Elrond (Eregion)
  2. 90.5% (19/21) Huan (Doriath)
  3. 88.2% (15/17) ShastaWolf (Tol-in-Gaurhoth)
  4. 84.0% (21/25) Tar-Atanamir (Westernesse)
  5. 81.8% (18/22) Ungoliant (Angband)
  6. 81.0% (17/21) Manwë (Pelóri)
  7. 80.0% (20/25) Galadriel (Lothlórien)
  8. 71.0% (22/31) Ingwë (Valinor)

Last edited by Nilpaurion Felagund; 08-09-2011 at 12:46 AM. Reason: unbolded Eregion in the Power Ranking
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:55 AM   #126
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

(Eliminated players in italics)

• GK **Elrond (Eregion)

• FW **Turin (Doriath)

• DF **Melian (Doriath)
  • DF *Beren (Doriath)

• GK **Huan (Doriath)
  • MF *Glorfindel (Eregion)

• FW **Feanor (Lothlorien)

• GK *Tar Atanamir (Westernesse)
  • GK ShastaWolf (TIG)
  • FW *Maeglin (Angfauglith)
  • FW Elros (Westernesse)

• GK *Galadriel (Lothlorien)
  • DF *Celebrimbor (Eregion)
  • MF Legolas (Lothlorien)
  • FW Arien (Valinor)

• GK **Ungoliant (Angband)
  • GK *Manwe (Pelori)
  • DF Elwe (Doriath)
  • MF *Hurin (Doriath)
  • MF *Varda (Pelori)
  • FW *Sauron (Wilderland)
  • FW *Ancalagon (Angband)
  • FW *NogWolf (TIG)

• DF Erestor (Eregion)
  • MF *PhantomWolf (TIG)

• DF *SkipWolf (TIG)
  • DF Carcharoth (Doriath)
  • FW *Bombadil (Forest)
  • FW Eonwe (Pelori)

• DF **Fingolfin (Angfauglith)
  • DF *Namo (Pelori)
  • DF Malbeth (Westernesse)
  • MF Boromir II (Lothlorien)
  • FW *Miriel (Valinor)
  • FW Curufin (Hithlum)
  • FW Nerdanel (Valinor)
  • FW Ar Pharazon (Westernesse)

• GK Caradhras (Misty Mts)
  • GK Amandil (Tol Eressea)
  • GK Ingwe (Valinor)
  • DF **Morgoth (Angband)
  • DF *Ulmo (Tol Eressea)
  • DF Celeborn (Lothlorien)
  • MF *Finrod (Tirion)
  • MF Ar Adunakhor (Westernesse)
  • MF Leod (Anduin)
  • MF Mablung (Doriath)
  • FW Thuringwethil (Angband)
  • FW Beleg (Doriath)
Old 07-25-2011, 10:59 PM   #127
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe ArdaCup.com Stats Report 8.5: The Semifinals - the Match-ups

The ArdaCup.com Stats Report team regrets its failure to predict half of the quarterfinals results accurately. The team has done its best to analyse the stats, but somehow two wildcard teams have gone beyond what their numbers have shown so far. ArdaCup.com Stats Report will be taking the previous round's intangibles into account and do its best to ensure that it predicts the results of the remaining four games perfectly.

Doriath vs Angband
  • Doriath Off > Angband Def
  • Doriath Def = Angband Off
Pretty much a straightforward affair on this side of the bracket.

This is Doriath's first test against a quality defensive team, but the fortress of Morgoth has not been as solid as it seems. Angband has shut out The Downer, Tol Eressëa, and Eregion, true, but only The Downer could be considered offensively-oriented among those teams (and they've been a bunch of oddballs who have had more pressing concerns on their minds than the game at hand). When Angband fought against teams with firepower (like Hithlum and Anfauglith), they conceded two goals. Doriath is at the very least on the level of those two teams in offensive intensity, and they will similarly expose weaknesses in Morgoth's back line.

Doriath's defence, which has already been tested against Tirion and Himring in the group stage, has proven its worth in that match with Valinor, allowing just a single goal despite facing the best forward line-up of the tournament (9 goals in 5 games). Angband has up front Ancalagon and Thuringwethil (and also Tilion, who, curiously, has failed to show up so far), but Melian's girdle and Huan's keen goalkeeping, having already been tested against godly boots, seem up to the task of turning even their monstrous might away.
Doriath 2:1 Angband

Pelóri vs Tol-in-Gaurhoth
  • Pelóri Off = Tol-in-Gaurhoth Def
  • Pelóri Def = Tol-in-Gaurhoth Off
These were the wildcards we mentioned. These teams play a gear higher when faced against opponents of a certain calibre or affiliation, and that makes predicting their games a difficult affair at best. And since they are playing against each other, it requires a thorough scrutiny of their stats, their previous games, and their mentality for the upcoming game to ensure that our predictions are, if not accurately done, then at least pointing in the right direction.

First, we examine Manwë's motivation--perhaps it'll be there, considering that their opponents are baddies. As they have shown in the friendlies and in the tournament games, they have played much better against either teams of evil affiliation, like Angband or Misty Mts, or teams rebelling against what they deem is the proper authority on Arda (meaning themselves), like Valinor or Fëanor's Lothlórien. Pelóri's defence has already been tested against Valinor (allowing just a single goal), and their offence similarly tempered against Lothlórien (scoring two against Galadriel and Gandalf), so the ability is there. Will they use it to the fullest, though?

Tol-in-Gaurhoth, as we have pointed out in Report 7.5, had not faced quality opponents in the tournament--until their last match. They faced a Westernesse team that has always been on of the top three teams in the ArdaCup.com Stats Report Power Ranking, even back in the friendlies, and has always been in the top ten both offensively and defensively of the same ranking. The Westrons were considered one of the favourites to win it all, but such meant little against the Werewolves; they blunted Westernesse's attack (allowing only 1 goal and 4 shots on target to a team that averaged about 3 goals in 6 attempts on target), and they swept aside (literally, in that last play) the smothering defence of the Dúnedain. Although we doubt that such a tactic would work against the Powers themselves, the Werewolves have proven their cunning, and they may try to take advantage of some other weakness of the Valar. They might recall the Norbury-Valimar game from last season, and play as humans with sportsmanlike conduct, lulling the Ainur into a false sense of peace and then taking over the game with their athleticism.
Tol-in-Gaurhoth 2:1 Pelóri
Old 07-26-2011, 08:06 AM   #128
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
EAisticle

Doriath vs Angband – First Age repeated?

Pretty much yes, says reporter, except that in the First Age they took a round object out instead of putting one in. However, at that time Beren and Luthien have proven that Angband’s defense is not without cracks, and not impossible to break through.

Will Melian and Elwe risk sending their child and son-in-law into the thick of the Enemy’s clutches once again? No, says reporter. It is not to be forgotten that this year they are not forwards – one is a defender and another a midfielder. Instead, two brave men volunteered to do the work. Turin Turambar took the challenge upon himself, and his loyal friend Beleg would not be held behind. Turin wishes to prove that he is worthy of being on the same team as his kinsman Beren by scoring a goal or two against the mighty Ungoliant.

When Beren first did that, he lost a hand. What will be the cost of Turin’s daring? Turin laughed in response. “I am Turambar, Master of Fate!” he answered, “I have faced Glaurung before, and that Worm met his death! Ancalagon shall see that he is no match for me either!”

Another question raised is the behavior of Carcharoth during the match. Will he remain loyal to Doriath, or switch back to his old side and old ways? He and Huan got along fairly well throughout the tournament, but will facing his old friends make the wolf doubt his choice of sides?

All in all, though, Morgoth has made many enemies during the First Age. All of them will seek revenge. This will be a tough battle… erm, game.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:40 PM   #129
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
The AKM quick glance to the semis

Doriath
vs. Tirion 4-1
vs. Himring 3-0
vs. Shire-Bree Utd. 4-0
vs. Minas Morgul 4-0
vs. Valinor 3-1

Doriath 5-0-0 18-2 21,2% 45(85) – 21(65) 90,5%

Angband
vs. Hithlum 4-2
vs. TheDowner 3-0
vs. Anfaughlith 2-2
vs. Tol Eressea 1-0
vs. Eregion 1-0

Angband 4-1-0 11-4 15,3% 34(72) – 22(61) 81,8%

Doriath vs. Angband

Doriath seems to be the sovereign team sailing for the gold this year. Every stat tells one so. So are there any reasons to doubt that?

One could look at the opponents they have faced. The tremendous number of goals Doriath has made can be seen not only as a result of their flashing forwards (which they do indeed have), but also as a consequence of them meeting only badly defending teams. Their last game against Valinor is a case in point: it was cool defending they kept the Valinor attacks at bay but the Valinor defences have not been the tightest ones either. But Angband will really put Doriath attack into the test. Looking at the teams they have faced it easy to say, for the first time. This time scoring three or four goals will not be like a walk in the park to them as Angband will be forcing them to really perform.

But how does it work the other way around then? Both offensive powerhouses Hithlum and Anfaughlith managed to score twice into Angband goal. Doriath is no lesser attacker than the two, so Doriath scores at least two goals?

But then again, looking at the opponents Angband has met we find both “crazy attack” teams (Hithlum, Downer, Anfaughlith) and “hedgehog-defense” teams (Tol Eressëa, Eregion), so actually relating their scoring and goals allowed becomes an entangled issue. Would Doriath had scored more against Tol Eressëa or Eregion? Would Anfaughlith or Hithlum have scored more against Doriath? How many goals Angband would have made against the opponents Doriath has faced?

Without needing to meet the two most qualified defending teams of the tournament Angband’s stats on scoring would be different indeed – and without needing to meet the two of the top offensive teams their stats on defense would be different as well.

So Doriath is not having an easy afternoon ahead of them. On the contrary: Morgoth will whip his team into their best game thus far and it most probably ends in a 2-2 draw. What happens then, that’s anybody’s guess…

~*~

Tol-In-Gaurhoth
vs. The Forest 3-0
vs. Nargothrond 3-0
vs. Mordor 3-1
vs. Barad-Dur 3-0
vs. Westernesse 2-1

T-I-G 5-0-0 14-2 16,5% 40(85) – 17(51) 88,2%

Pelori
vs. Beleriand 1-1
vs. Gondolin 2-1
vs. Valinor 2-1
vs Misty Mts. 2-0
vs. Lothlórien 2-1

Pelori 4-1-0 9-4 13,4% 29(67) – 21(54) 81%

Tol-In-Gaurhoth vs. Pelori

Here we have the familiar problem: the one team is a clear favourite due to the stats but then there are objections to be made: the fact that the other team is a Valinor team led by Manwë is not the smallest of those…

To be kind of rude, one could say that the T-I-G has only faced one really tough opponent (they beat Westernesse 2-1) whereas Pelori has met two (they beat both Valinor and Lothlórien 2-1). Of the other teams the two have met, it is quite clear Pelori has played the tougher teams than the T-I-G.

So the difference in the stats should be, if not totally ignored, put in brackets. T-I-G has scored more but against weaker opponents; they have admitted less goals but have only faced one attacking team with quality. Pelori in turn has scored less but against some really tough defenses and they have admitted a few more goals – against some attacking ingenuity.

And the fact that Manwë’s team always prevails with one goal (well against Misty Mts- with 2-0) makes one wonder. Somehow the stats just don’t seem to affect Manwë-driven teams.
But even these “outside the stats” speculations have their limits. Last year they scandalously lost to Norbury in the quarters and this year they started with a draw with the Beleriand as the opponent scored at the last minutes to make it even.

T-I-G will score one – and with luck two. Pelori will score one -and with luck two. What happens thereafter is anybody’s guess.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:27 PM   #130
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye Semifinals- the venue...

All the peoples of Arda were awed by the 2010 debut of the Amon Hen Coliseum, built in secret by the Gondor Arda Cup Host Committee in return for a promise of hosting the semis and finals two consecutive years, with options to return to the site before the normal mandatory gap between hosting Arda Cup finals.

There was no question that The Coliseum was the largest venue in all of Arda, thanks largely to the magic of Amon Hen, the “hill of seeing”, which allowed the stadium to climb far higher than others so long as it went up the side of Amon Hen which was found to amplify the natural visionary capabilities of anyone upon it, and more so as one neared the pinnacle of the hill.

Because of this the stadium appeared extremely lopsided. The east quarter of the stadium overlooked the great falls of Rauros and seated around 20,000, while the north quarter hugged the shores of the lake and seated slightly more. But as the stadium ran to the south-southwest up the slopes of Amon Hen, the seats just piled higher and higher, and after two brand new additions this past offseason the total seating for the stadium was now in excess of 160,000!

But believe it or not the whopping size of the monstrous arena was not the number one thing that arrested the attention of critics, but rather it was the architecture. The stadium was a tribute to the history of football in Arda, featuring sections which expertly mimicked the architecture, décor, and adornments of various famous stadiums from the history of Arda. Any walkway, restroom, eatery, and entrance in a given section also mirrored the style, making visitors feel as if they were actually in a different stadium.

The initial construction featured sections from Valimar, Utumno, Tirion, Angband, Gondolin, Doriath, Numenor, Mordor, Mirkwood, and Rohan. The two new additions this year were Moria and The Shire. “They were on the list to be included with the initial construction,” said Gondor Arda Cup Host Committee chairman Meneldil, “But it just didn’t work out that way. We wished to have all peoples well represented in our sections, but we wanted them to be authentic, with craftsmen from the locations brought in to advise and oversee. The dwarves we wanted to bring in were busy with other projects such as Vinyamar, and we were worried that the Halflings would have let the cat out of the bag had we brought them in on it. As you know we were keen to keep the Coliseum a secret until the last possible moment, and Hobbits, well… their tongues have a habit of wagging- especially in a pub.”

“So instead of those two we added Mirkwood and Rohan, which we originally planned to add later.” When asked if there were more sections in the works, Meneldil said that there definitely were. “Oh yes, we already have a team from Alqualonde ready to start as soon as the finals are over, and we’re in talks with Gundabad as well. Sure, some may say that the Orcs already have Angband and Mordor, but we want to include something that is very uniquely Orcish.”

Meneldil also mentioned a desire for an Entish section in the future, but said that such a thing would be understandably slow in developing. Nargothrond however was a comparably quicker option, and an exploratory committee is currently debating the merits of other locations, such as Angmar, Rivendell, and Lothlorien.

But the stadium wasn’t the only thing around Amon Hen was expanding. There was also the infrastructure. There were a good number of inns, pubs, and rentable homes in a brand new town a short distance west of the stadium along the shores of the lake, and a good number of cabins farther along, or in the woods higher up on the slopes of the surrounding hills. It was the same last year, only this year there were more of them, as well as several permanent residents now that Gondor had opened the area to settlement. There was also a good deal of boating on the lake, and the marinas to accommodate it. A bit farther up the lake there were ski lodges. It was not the season for snow obviously, but the lodges had remained open to host guests and show off their facilities and runs, hoping that the visitors would return in the winter.

The docks beneath Rauros and the ingenious series of lifts that transported travelers up to lake-level had been improved as well. Specifically, the docks were larger, and a third lift path had been installed to allow for shorter waiting times. Additionally a winding nature trail had been constructed that wound around the west side of Amon Hen for anyone so inclined to enjoy a challenging day-long hike to their destination. All in all the committee had done all they could to ensure that the Amon Hen Coliseum would be recognized as the king of match locations.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:41 PM   #131
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Semifinals at Amon Hen, The First Game

Pelori vs. Tol-In-Gaurhoth

Oromë: I’m getting done with you! You’re just parasites so just shut your mouths!

Phantomwolf: Now who’s a parasite?

Nogwolf: Yeah. Let us hear your version of this: we say we are fully capable of using our own minds and reaching for the goals we set ourselves – also the goal Manwë protects – but you then, you only come tied with lashes from both Manwë and Eru.

Lórien: Now what comes to your mind as the goals “you set yourselves”, where do they come from if not from me, and by implication through Ilúvatar himself?

Phantomwolf: So it is Ilúvatar himself who thus makes us desiring to be defiant in front of you “Master of Desire”? *smiles defiantly*

Oromë: Don’t listen to those double-tongued rhetoricians Irmo. They have no claim to truth as they are outsiders… just some odd third generation mimicking werewolves who don’t even belong to the Arda proper. Parasites, as I told you.

Nogwolf: Now you forget where all this started. I only said we have a stronger will to win this game and the stamina to do it. And that is true. You guys have just lazed on your own reality thinking how marvelous you are, but we have been living in a world reduced from magic and any great plans – and we have learned to gain what we crave for ourselves.

Lórien: But you’re no part of Eru’s plan. You’re just an off-shoot of the legendarium, having no part in the story – like my colleague says, you’re just parasites trailing this history unfolding on a Website dedicated to us. The prophet that was the Prof, and he never mentioned you when he told the stories – you have clinged into this yourselves with no authorization at all by the forces above you, like us, at all.

Nogwolf: And therefore we’re also free from the constraints of fate that tie you into the story written by others but not yourselves, eh? *gives a snug smile*

Phantomwolf: And thus able to break your circle of winning like Eru wishes you to do every time you play against a team that is under his control… *triumphs*

Oromë: Now that is blasphemy! We are pretty much able to do things ourselves and Eru doesn’t need to follow our footsteps all the time. Just quit that like now until you annoy me for good.

Nogwolf: As you wish sir.

Phantomwolf: No offense, sir… but we will win.

So here we were live in the press-conference, sorry to have started the covering only after the discussion gathered some heat as it went off somewhat prematurely and the AKM microphones were not set until the row was already heated. But one can get the tone of the discussion even from that short exchange of views.

~*~

The huge crowds at Amon Hen Colosseum were having great problems with their loyalties. There were no warm feelings towards the T-I-G team as they were largely considered kind of outsiders, but then again many had misgivings toward the Pelori team after all that happened in the West once again this year. The Angband and Mordor fans cheered for T-I-G just because it was opposing the Valar in the game, and the Teleri and other Western elves, and most of the Maiar, naturally supported Pelori; but almost all others had problems in choosing a side. The T-I-G were darn good at playing the ball, but they were still odd outsiders, but how could they back these arrogant Valar who were shying away at nothing to keep their West “clean”?

Tol-In-Gaurhoth had it’s own fans at the Arena for sure, and even if the gang was small it made a lot of noise. Morthoron was mocking anything he could catch a glimpse of, Rikae was having a guitar and she played it like a mad Jimmy Hendrix – and the others led by Mac joined the chorus on “All along the Wathctower” – “Tol-In-Gaurhoth!” – with Pitchwife doing the add-on every time with his baritone voice. Fea and Lhuna were making the cheer-leading, forcing the willful eyes of the nearest male spectators to stare at them more their wives would have liked… while Morm and Rune looked after the security of the ladies looking grimly at anyone stalking them too long.

And a kind of a fuzz was created when The ‘Downer players and their few fans appeared to the stadium led by The Saucepan Man banging the beat with his pans – joining the T-I-G fans they made even more noise than before – to the annoyance to any decent football audiences.

But most of the crowds had decided to cheer to both teams, at least to begin with – and thus both sides got a thunderous welcome to the pitch – even if it wasn’t the most enthusiastic welcome ever given, but just having 160 000 people making a noise makes anything thunderous.

As the game kicked off T-I-G took the initiative and started rolling their attacks towards the Pelori goal one after another – jumping over the “reconnaissance-period” from the first minutes of the game T-I-G clearly wished to surprise the Pelori team – and they were seriously after a goal from the very first minutes. But Pelori defenses were alert from the beginning as well and most of the shots T-I-G managed to make went off the target, but it clearly looked like the outsiders were calling the shots in the beginning – until they shifted their play and fell back a little to ease their burden. With T-I-G leaving more room to the middle-field Pelori started having some quite nice chances as well and the game became more even – and after the first rush by T-I-G it seemed that now even they had fell back to testing their opponent.

But even if both teams were mainly trying to look for any weaknesses on each other’s defense while trying to keep their own goal guarded, there were some quality performances on both sides at the last half of the first period.

After a long build-up Oromë ended up near the corner flag but managed to dribble Nilpwolf aside for a fleeting moment to center the ball – and Varda made a nice diving header for it only to be caught by Shastawolf.

Some five minutes later Galadwolf robbed the ball from Vana in mid-field and sent it fast forwards to Gwathwolf who had anticipated the change of direction and ran for it like mad ridding himself from Gwaihir and Nahar: and he was one on one with Manwë and was just about to shoot when the referee whistled it off-side. T-I-G protested loudly for the late whistle but the referee kept his mind with it.

Shastawolf was forced into a real test at 42nd minute when Eönwë cut the T-I-G defenses square and went after a long ball from Nienna in a counter-attack and faced Shasta alone from thirty meters – running towards him. Eönwë faked a shot at around the box when he saw Shasta, who had ran to meet him, diving for it just a few meters before his eyes… Eönwë made a quick turn right and was looking for a foothold to shoot when Shasta knocked the ball off with his fist and Eönwë’s kick hit Shasta to his right arm. Shasta was howling in pain and the first aid unit was summoned to the field.

The T-I-G players were calling for a straight red card for Eönwë from intentionally trying to injure their goalie but the referee stood firm and a free kick was all T-I-G earned from the situation.

After Shasta was up again and returning to his goal something quite unexpected happened. T-I-G forwards and midfielders started jogging forwards while the Pelori team jogged backwards to lower their field. Manwë had come far away from his goal, actually to mid-field, to follow the injury-situation and was slowly backing towards his posts. And here Phantomwolf saw an opportunity. So instead of jogging forwards to the midfield he ran to the ball whispering something to Skipwolf who had just settled the ball down for the free-kick a meter forwards from the edge of the T-I-G box. He walked a few steps towards Shasta and suddenly turned around, took a quick run of a few steps and sent the ball forwards high into the air bringing all his force to the shot.

Manwë was walking briskly towards his goal with the lowest defenders by his side. They were about thirty meters from the goal when the cry stopped him. “Run!”, it was Varda calling him from the other end of the pitch. Manwë turned around and glanced upwards only to see the ball flying some ten meters over him and falling dangerously fast… towards the goal! Gwaihir had noticed the situation as well and waved it’s giant wings to try and cut the flight of the ball while Manwë dashed towards the goal trying to prevent the obvious from happening. But there was nothing they could do as the ball flew in the air and went into the Pelori goal right in the middle when Gwaihir had just lifted off the ground and Manwë was still about twenty meters away from his goal.

Even the staunchest Valar-fans had to admit that was both a brilliant idea and a brilliant execution of that idea. The few T-I-G supporters at the colosseum went just mad with joy: they were leading 1-0 just a minute before the half-time! With most of the 160 000 spectators making a standing ovation to the Phantomwolf even he did look a bit embarrassed about the roar and thunder the applauses created.

Pelori came to the second half composed and effective. Their fast passing game created some nice opportunities in the beginning of the half but after T-I-G adjusted their game to match that of Pelori the game evened again. It was anybody’s game now as without some masterful performances by both goalies either team could have added to the scoreboard.

8 minutes into the second half Nerwolf showed some flare releasing herself from both Namo and Gwaihir – but doing that she had drifted to such a narrow angle Manwë looked confident to deny the shot. But Nerwolf put such a swerve into the shot Manwë wasn’t able to hold it and it slipped from his fingers. Gwathwolf was there for the rebound but his shot missed the goal totally, from ten meters away. Gwath fell on his knees and ripped his hair in agony and promised he would get back up again only after someone poured some ash over his head.

12 minutes into the second half Pelori was pressing on letting the passes mess the T-I-G defenses as well as they could – and Eönwë did find a line of passing between Sallywolf and Nilpwolf. Before the two had time to turn around Varda was already there reaching for the ball. Kuruwolf saw what was happening and slid towards the ball hoping to cut the imminent shot coming… but Varda was one mental step ahead and instead of shooting he just flipped the ball left to where Eönwë had rushed. The crowds went “uhhh!” seeing Varda surrounded by three defenders and Eönwë getting the ball to his feet ten meters to their left – and all alone!

And Eönwë’s shot was a real beauty: accurate and powerful, heading towards the top right corner of the goal. But somehow Shastawolf managed to make an impossible looking dive reaching to get his fingertips in the way enough to change the trajectory of the ball so that it hit the post and flew over the goal.

17 minutes into the half T-I-G was pressing for a change and got a throw-in from near the right corner-flag. Inzilwolf threw the ball far to the left side of the pitch (no one thought someone could throw the ball that far) – and as the defenses turned towards the left side of the pitch and started orienting to the new situation Phantomwolf crossed the ball diagonally back to the right – just where Nogwolf had made a sudden run into the middle. Nogwolf took the ball down with his chest, leaped forwards beside Namo and hammered the ball in with a mighty cannon leaving Manwë no chance to even begin guessing where the shot would land.

Tol-In-Gaurhoth had claimed a two goal lead with little less than half an hour of the game left. The crowds were totally baffled and confused – except for the T-I-G and ‘Downer fans who were making such a noise it was probably heard at the sea in the end. Coming from behind hadn’t been exactly Pelori’s strongpoint in this tournament as they had always more or less had the control of the game in their hands – so what would they do now?

To the disappointment of most Pelori fans it first looked like Manwë wasn’t going to surprise them with radical tactical changes to try and turn the tables, but little by little they started coming forwards with more energy. But T-I-G let them drink their very own medicine retreating into a kind of suffocating defense even Manwë would have been proud of if it was his team doing it.

Only with pure immortal willpower were the Valar able to push through the T-I-G defenses but even then they were forced into off-side positions (T-I-G’s off-side trap worked ingeniously in the end giving T-I-G five free-kicks from off-sides – all from situations which might have ended up in a goal to Pelori had the trap not worked), driven to the edges and corners of the field, denied decent shooting opportunities… It seemed the T-I-G defenses were all around and when Manwë dared not to bring all his team up to attack Pelori was practically playing shorthanded all the time.

So Pelori put all their hopes into the free-kicks – and with T-I-G’s abrasive game (when needed, the wolves bit, scratched, tackled, howled and basically played every dirty trick in the menu) to distract and annoy the opponent) they got a host of them from various positions. But Shastawolf was firm and took couple of important saves in the end.

And finally the referee blew his whistle and the game was over. And it was game-over for team Pelori! T-I-G was marching to the finals, shutting out Pelori and scoring two against the Valar! That, one could say, was a piece of Arda’s football history.

~*~

In the post-game press conference Manwë was not forthcoming and actually answered every question with “no comments”, was it a question about their feelings, the causes of their loss, the speculation about the re-organisation of the Arda Cup, especially as it came to Valar or playing the games in the Blessed Realm.

T-I-G representative never appeared to the press conference as the whole team had jumped up to the stands and joined their fans there starting a party of their own straight after the final whistle. When an hour later some Stadion officials were kindly asking them to move their parties maybe to some other location as they would close the colosseum for the night, the werewolves showed them their teeth and warned that anyone suggesting the finalists couldn’t party in the stadium witnessing their glory would get torn into pieces. Understandably, they were allowed to have their party.

Pelori 0-2 Tol In Gaurhoth
tot shots 12-17
on target 5-5
GOALS:
*44, 0-1 PhantomWolf
*62, 0-2 NogWolf (GwathWolf)
YELLOW CARDS:
*Pelori- Vana, Nahar, Namo, Varda
*TIG- NilpWolf, SallyWolf

T-I-G to the final, Pelori to the Bronze-game.

Last edited by Nogrod; 07-31-2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:47 PM   #132
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
GO TOL-IN-GAURHOTH! GO!

And
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nog
the others led by Mac joined the chorus on “All along the Watchtower” – “Tol-In-Gaurhoth!”
if my plane wasn't flying in five hours, I'd so totally do a song parody now. Awesome!
Old 08-03-2011, 09:27 PM   #133
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Thumbs up

YES! I knew we'd make it!
Old 08-04-2011, 09:23 AM   #134
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Angband vs Doriath

Nothing against the two teams who played earlier, but this wa the premier match of the semi finals. Angband vs Doriath, a game that could very easily have been the final.

In the pre-game press conferences Morgoth was trying to downplay the famed Girdle of Melian. The colloquial name for Doriath's defenses as it was anchored by their queen. "No one can score against the will of Melian, you say? Maybe I've got a plan to go after someone else and in doing so, make Melian a non-factor." smirked Morgoth to a MESPN reporter. "Besides if you think a bunch of cursed attackers will score against this defense, think again."

In the other press conference that was the talk of it all, the curse of Hurin and how would it effect Turin? Turin has longed for an Arda Cup trophy but has a history of falling short. He can certainly rack up all the goals to his name, but in the biggest situations, he will uncharacterically fire missed shots, turnover possession, or just flat disappear. Leaving people to always question are their curses in sports, because if so, Turin is the most unlucky man in Arda.

It's always a comfort when his trusted friend Beleg continues to follow Turin, but an even greater comfort came when his steadfast father signed with Doriath. "I've seen Morgoth face-to-face, I'm not intimidated by his tricks and curses. And that keeper of Angband, thrives off fear, but its his pet spider. We won't be intimidated."

"The destined ones? The Dream Team, they're called? Ha!" the cruel laugh of Morgoth caused most reporters to jump out of their seats and believe that would be the very last thing they heard in this life. "The keep dreaming team, destined to be crushed under my power. That sounds more like it."

The time for talk was over, the teams' warm-ups were complete as all the players came back onto the field. Everyone in Amon Hen and who were watching elsewhere, poised for this colossal showdown of the giants of the Arda footballing world.

Angband went right to work on their normal style of game, possessing, pressuring and desiring to build a lead that they could hold onto. But Doriath's defenses were as stingy as ever. Everyone was wondering what Morgoth's plan that he hinted at was, and if this was the plan, it appeared Angband needed to go to Plan B already. Whatever the plan was, it wasn't working.

We've held off on saying it, but there's no way to escape the truth now. Not after seeing the totality of this match. Tilion has had breakout performances under Morgoth's leadership, but he simply wasn't getting the job done this year. Expected to anchor the mid-field, Tilion was simply being outshined by Hurin and Eol. There's no other way around it. In the brief time it took for Angband to regather and try plan B, that was all the break Doriath's defense needed to steal away possession and begin their own attacks.

Much was made in the pre-game about the battle between Hurin and Turin against Morgoth and Ungoliant. However, one of the darkhorses, who always seems to be disregarded because he doesn't have a personality that attracts attention. Many fans of a team when they hear Eol is on it, actually get more nervous than joyful. Eol never does press conferences at any time, and because of that he is viewed as not having friendly relations with the media, and is possibly a team "cancer." The truth is, if you pardon my poor vocabulary, Eol is a baller. He puts his head down and straight up works hard for the full 90 minutes.

In the 27th minute, Doriath fans stood up waiting to burst out in applause as Hurin's shot looked dead on target, but Ungoliant reached out one of her legs and poked it away. The ball was rolling towards the out of bounds line where it looked like Angband was planning to concede a corner. However, there would be no corner, as Eol raced to it just before going over the endline. The Dark Elf passed it between the legs of the 2nd Balrog and to the left boot of Beleg. It was a perfect pass capped off by a perfect drive. Beleg got it up over Ungoliant's reach, but kept it down just enough to scrape under the top cross bar. Morgoth was irate at the defensive lapse, but in truth he was the one setting the defense up to defend a corner, and not paying attention to the fact the ball was still in play.

No one wanted to be near Morgoth after the goal and the Angband team came forward in full fury that hadn't been seen before since the Dagor Bragollach. And quickly Angband got their equalizer simply by overwhelming the Girdle of Melian. One of Angband's deepest defenders came forward, Balrog #1, sent a cross into Doriath's box. With how many bodies were scrapping and fighting for position, the ball was bound to hit someone, and it did. Thuringwethil swooped in, just above the great leap of Carcharoth. Huan went high, but Thuringwethil batted the ball low, straight down into the ground and Angband was level only 8 minutes after Doriath had grabbed the lead.

The game slowed down after it was 1-1, but that doesn't mean fans were disappointed or wavered in any sort of excitement. They were witnessing a truly great battle of precision, skill, and might. Doriath looked like the better team in the 1st, but Angband was even, which meant it was anyone's game to win in the 2nd. And no one wanted to miss a second of it. Although, a neutral fan did have to wonder if it took the entire Angband team in full force to score against Doriath, how would they fair in the 2nd? They'd certainly need to come up with a better attack strategy, because Tilion and Ancalagon had all but pulled a disappearing act like they were Bombadil or something. They were non-factors to say the least.

When the 2nd kicked off it was Doriath this time who wanted to control the action and pace. It was actually becoming a problem, as Doriath looked ready to take the lead again and it was causing Morgoth fits. He had Turin, Beleg, and Hurin marked fairly well, but there was no answer for Eol who was a master of the mid-field today. It appeared Morgoth decided they better try to disrupt and slow down Doriath's attack by giving up a free kick. As a few meters outside Angband's penalty, Thuringwethil suddenly latched onto Eol's waste and brought him down. It was a clear yellow, and free kick to Doriath.

Turin was walking up to take it, which meant there was no debate about it, Doriath was planning to take the lead right now on this kick. Morgoth thought, come up with a stop here and they would have weathered Doriath's attack. Turin was an expert at free kicks, but in these pressure situations before, many said the ugly curse of Morgoth on Hurin would rear it's head. Hurin grabbed his son's shoulder firmly and what was spoken would never be known. Turin just nodded and kept his eyes down. Ungoliant had the defense lined the way she wanted, believing all possible scoring angles were cut off. It would take the greatest of strikes to score. That's exactly what the Amon Hen crowd witnessed, the greatest of strikes! Well, to call it 'greatest,' might be called being a prisoner of the moment, but it was certainly a spectacle to behold. The ball was lined low, and at the last moment curved away from Ungoliant's reach. 2-1 DORIATH!

Everyone on Doriath mobbed Turin who looked both relieved and over joyed. Morgoth was barking furiously at Ungoliant and Ungoliant was responding in like. The unlight and poison was spewing out from her monstrous form (after there was a permanent ugly black mark on the pitch where Ungoliant had stood). The Balrogs had to separate the two players before anything else happened. Meanwhile, Melian was kindly reminding her team to remember what happened, Angband would be thundering forward, so be prepared.

And indeed Melian was right, Angband was on them again in full force, and Angband was still skilled enough to not turn the ball over to allow Doriath to counter. Hurin seeing though that Melkor was on the verge of becoming a loose cannon, and Doriath needing a stop before Angband became equal again, gave as hard of a flying shoulder to Morgoth's stomach that he could muster. It was again a yellow, and again Morgoth was fuming, not so much that he was in anyway hurt or that it was a clear cheap shot, but that a pathetic mortal had actually dared challenge him.

So, Morgoth was ready to take a free kick and maybe trying too much to be the star, and to show that it's his boot that is greater than Turin's, he blasted the kick towards goal. It was certainly well-hit and it probably would have beaten any lesser keeper. But it wasn't as well-placed as Turin's and we're talking about Huan here. The great hound stopped it dead.

Hurin's ploy had worked as Morgoth was blinded by wrath. Too slow to spot where Hurin was, as Hurin was already racing down field with several other Doriath's stars on a counter. The Balrogs burst into a new flame to try to scare Beleg, Eol, and Hurin all rushing in on goal. But as Hurin's words rang true "We would not be intimidated," it was no surprise to see Eol and Hurin in the action yet again. This time it was Hurin's turn to get on the sheet as he split between the two Balrogs and led by Eol, Hurin pounded it passed the spider who conceded her 3rd goal of the match.

With the 2 goal lead, Melian was confident with a united team effort they could hold with 11 minutes to go. Morgoth was determined not to go down in this embarassing fashion, as this time it looked like the Nirnaeth Arnoediad on the pitch. It was a battle, but Morgoth could do nothing to narrow the defecit. Doriath would hold onto a hard fought, but convincing 3-1 victory.

Many Angband supporters after were just waiting for what Morgoth had to say about this match. For the 2nd straight year he came up 1 game short of the championship. But this time, there was no beating around the bushes, Ancalagon and Tilion had disappeared completely. What would Morgoth do about them and what would he do about Ungoliant? As the two were looking like they could murder eachother after the game and Ungoliant did not return to the locker rooms with the rest of the Angband team.

The Doriath fans mocked she scurried back to whatever dark hole she spawned out of in shame. They were merry and the true celebration would begin. Behind their great leaders Elwe and Melian. Joined with their greater heroes Beren and Luthien, Huan and Carcharoth. Their captain Mablung, and Beleg, Hurin, and Turin. Even the withdrawn Eol was seen in the mass of Doriath fans on the field, receiving handshakes, hugs, and praises. These great ones in the history of Arda were onto the championship and their fans had no doubts they would dispatch the odd wolves with ease. How could they not? This team was destined for the greatest of glories.

Angband 1-3 Doriath
tot shots 14-13
on target 5-6
GOALS:
*27, 0-1 Beleg (Eol)
*35, 1-1 Thuringwethil (Balrog #1)
*68, 1-2 Turin
*79, 1-3 Hurin (Eol)
YELLOW CARDS:
*Angband- Balrog #3, Thuringwethil
*Doriath- Luthien, Hurin, Carcharoth

Last edited by Boromir88; 08-04-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #135
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

You have got to be kidding, right? Right?
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:08 PM   #136
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Pipe ArdaCup.com Stats Report 9: The Semifinals

Bracket:

Power Ranking - The Numbers:

(Teams in bold are finalists.)
  • G - goals
  • S - shots
  • OT - shots on target
  • GA - goals allowed
  • GA - shots allowed
  • OTA - shots allowed on target
  • YC - yellow cards

Phantasy Numbers:
(Players in italics are from eliminated teams.)

GOALS + ASSISTS
7+3
Túrin (Doriath)

5+0
Ancalagon (Angband)

4+3

4+1
Húrin (Doriath)

3+4
Maeglin (Anfauglith)
Elros (Westernesse)

3+3
Thuringwethil (Angband)

3+2
Eönwë (Pelóri)
PhantomWolf (Tol-in-Gaurhoth)
GwathWolf (Tol-in-Gaurhoth)

2+4
Sauron (Wilderland)
Beleg (Doriath)

1+4
Eöl (Doriath)

GOALKEEPER - RANKING
  1. 91.0% (20/22) ShastaWolf (Tol-in-Gaurhoth)
  2. 88.5% (23/26) Huan (Doriath)
  3. 76.9% (20/26) Manwë (Pelóri)
  4. 75.0% (21/28) Ungoliant (Angband)

Last edited by Nilpaurion Felagund; 08-09-2011 at 01:03 AM. Reason: word waffling
Old 08-11-2011, 05:32 PM   #137
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye Updated Phantasy Points...

(Eliminated players in italics)

• GK **Elrond (Eregion)
  • FW **Turin (Doriath)

• GK **Huan (Doriath)

• GK ShastaWolf (TIG)
  • DF **Melian (Doriath)
  • DF *Beren (Doriath)

• MF *Glorfindel (Eregion)

• FW **Feanor (Lothlorien)

• GK *Tar Atanamir (Westernesse)
  • MF *Hurin (Doriath)
  • MF *PhantomWolf (TIG)
  • FW *Maeglin (Angfauglith)
  • FW Elros (Westernesse)
  • FW *NogWolf (TIG)

• GK **Ungoliant (Angband)
  • GK *Manwe (Pelori)
  • GK *Galadriel (Lothlorien)
  • DF *Celebrimbor (Eregion)
  • DF *SkipWolf (TIG)
  • DF Elwe (Doriath)
  • MF Legolas (Lothlorien)
  • FW Arien (Valinor)

• FW *Sauron (Wilderland)
  • FW *Ancalagon (Angband)
  • FW Beleg (Doriath)

• DF Erestor (Eregion)
  • DF Carcharoth (Doriath)
  • MF *Eol (Doriath)
  • MF *Varda (Pelori)
  • FW Thuringwethil (Angband)

• DF KuruWolf (TIG)
  • FW *Bombadil (Forest)
  • FW Eonwe (Pelori)
  • FW GwathWolf (TIG)

• DF **Fingolfin (Angfauglith)
  • DF Malbeth (Westernesse)
  • DF NilpWolf (TIG)
  • MF Boromir II (Lothlorien)
  • FW *Miriel (Valinor)
  • FW Curufin (Hithlum)
  • FW Nerdanel (Valinor)
  • FW Ar Pharazon (Westernesse)

• GK Caradhras (Misty Mts)
  • GK Amandil (Tol Eressea)
  • GK Ingwe (Valinor)
  • DF **Morgoth (Angband)
  • DF *Ulmo (Tol Eressea)
  • DF *Namo (Pelori)
  • DF Celeborn (Lothlorien)
  • MF *Finrod (Tirion)
  • MF Ar Adunakhor (Westernesse)
  • MF Leod (Anduin)
  • MF Mablung (Doriath)

Last edited by the phantom; 08-11-2011 at 05:52 PM.
the phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 03:06 PM   #138
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye The matches approach...

(In case you missed it last round, The venue- Amon Hen)

There have been years when the bronze medal match received little discussion in the shadow of the championship contest, but not so this year. The anticipation is unbelievably high- Angband versus Pelori! Morgoth versus Manwe! Evil versus Good!

Morgoth’s Utumno squad played in the 2010 bronze medal match, losing to Turin and team Mithrim. The blame for the loss was placed on the attitude that infected Morgoth and his squad, largely spurred on by the taunting of Celegorm and Curufin regarding the futility of giving full effort in a “meaningless game”, as anything less than a championship was a failure for someone like Morgoth and the powerful team he had assembled.

This year is an entirely different story, however. In recent press conferences, Morgoth has been extremely critical of the way he handled the end of last year’s tournament. “I’m not proud of it. I allowed the Sons of Feanor to get to me last year, and cloud my thinking. The bronze match isn’t meaningless- no match is meaningless. There is pride on the line, and your greatness is judged every time you step onto the field. People left last year’s tournament thinking Utumno was inferior to Mithrim, and that matters.”

“I want to win it all. If I can’t, I will be second. If I can’t be second, I’ll be third. Every year I desire to achieve as much as I can. There are many great talents and teams out there, so no one can win it every year, so the way to separate myself from others is to not only win titles, but in the years where I don’t win, still come close. That sort of consistency is a testament to greatness.”

And while Morgoth may in truth believe everything he’s been saying in the lead up to the game, most suspect that the opponent is partly responsible for his new outlook. Morgoth has set himself against Manwe and his friends for years beyond count, and doubtless this contest is the definition of a grudge match with serious bragging rights on the line (though Manwe is widely considered too polite and/or boring to rub it in should Pelori triumph).

In years past it has been quite common for Arda Cup to hold the bronze match in the afternoon and the championship in the evening of the same day, but this year interest in the bronze match is so high that the Cup Committee elected to hold both as night matches on consecutive days.

The Coliseum is expected to be at full capacity for both matches. Angband supporters have already bought out the Utumno, Angband, Mordor, and Moria sections of the stadium, while the Ainu and Elves of Valinor have filled the slots in the Valimar and Tirion sections, and portions of Gondolin and Doriath sections. General football fans, mostly from Gondor, bought out the Numenor and Rohan sections early on, and so there will only be the minimum 40,000 seats available to the masses on the day of the match, and from the look of things more than that will turn out to scoop the tickets up, and many will go home empty handed.

The title match, on the other hand, will be much more friendly to travelers that showed up at Amon Hen without tickets in hand. The allowed number of general seats are already filled of course, and Doriath wasted no time in nabbing the Gondolin and Mirkwood sections, parts of the Tirion and Valimar sections, and of course the Doriath section. But Tol In Gaurhoth was another matter. Their fans are very vocal and very loyal, but the fan base is not terribly extensive, and so there will be many tickets available to the masses.

When asked about how much support his squad would receive in the final, NogWolf had this to say. “Doriath will be out in force, no question about that, but most of the stadium will not have a hard-line affiliation, so they shouldn’t be terribly rowdy or rabid. I expect they’ll be on Doriath’s side 90-10, but we may sway them with our play. But in the end it doesn’t matter- we’re going to play our game, and that will decide things. We’re too battle-tested to be impacted by external factors.”

It is possible, however, that NogWolf is underestimating TIG’s fanbase, primarily because of Sauron. The longtime ruler of Mordor has always been a strong supporter of Tol In Gaurhoth, ever since he first founded the squad late in the first age. Mordor and Dol Guldur are in fairly close proximity to Amon Hen, and Orcs, Trolls, and other creatures have been steadily trickling into the area sporting TIG jerseys and personalized shirts that TIG has released recently that have been all the rage in the football world.

Among the more popular shirts is one featuring NerWolf sporting a crown, with text below reading “All shall love me and despair- or I’ll rip their heads off!” Also popular is the KuruWolf shirt, reading “I’m not a Werewolf- my dwarfish beard is just really out of control.” And of course there’s the PhantomWolf shirt that kicked off the campaign early in the spring- “PhantomWolf is here. This game is now important.”

Oddly enough, when team Doriath showed up for their first in-stadium practice earlier this week, Carcharoth was wearing a ShastaWolf shirt (“If we don’t win this game, my head will explode!”). When questioned about his loyalty to team Doriath, Carcharoth waved his paw and chuckled. “No, no, I have no problems here. We’ve worked very hard to get here and I’m going to do everything I can to make certain Doriath comes out on top. I just happen to like the shirt, and I’m a big fan of ShastaWolf. He plays the game so passionately and invests everything he has in every second of any contest, and this shirt exemplifies his attitude. Anyway, I bought it well before we knew we’d be playing Tol In Gaurhoth.”

In general all the finalists have been quite complimentary towards their opposition. Surprisingly, even NilpWolf, SallyWolf, and PhantomWolf have refrained from taking jabs at Doriath, and have restrained their customary arrogance, no doubt thanks to pressure from their teammates concerned about provoking an already challenging opponent.

We’re seeing quite the opposite from the bronze match, where Morgoth and his Balrogs have traded subtle barbs with Namo and Orome ever since the semis. And so it is that two rather different but equally exciting matches are shaping up- the heated rivalry of Angband versus Pelori, and the supreme athleticism and skill of this year’s best squads- Doriath and Tol In Gaurhoth.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:13 PM   #139
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye The Bronze Medal Match...

Angband and Pelori warmed up in front of a packed out Coliseum as the fading yellow light of the sun was slowly replaced with the glow of high suspended Feanorian lamps. Pelori looked focused and sharp, with Manwe calmly organizing things, while Angband had an angry edge about them, shooting occasional hostile glances towards the Pelori half of the pitch.

The split in support was roughly 50-50 when all the lucky viewers found their seats, and head referee Boromir88 made his way onto the pitch to get things rolling. Knowing the climate, he gave both sides a warning to keep things clean, and as the game began things were clean indeed. Despite the intense feelings neither side was keen to give the refs a reason to card them and give the opposition an opening, and the squads kept things tight.

Pelori's passing was brilliant and efficient, but any time they worked it in close they couldn't crack Morgoth and the Balrogs. When Angband was in possession they were able to look dangerous temporarily by getting it to the forwards quickly, but Pelori always brought back tons of help and clogged things up. If Angband was going to score, it would need to be quick rather than built up, or on a set piece.

As the half wore on the same pattern continued- both sides were able to hold some possession, Pelori more so, but decent scoring chances were impossible to find. Ungoliant was forced to stop an Irmo header, but it wasn't a challenge, and neither was Orome's distant snipe. On the other side Manwe had little to do. Through more than 30 minutes he was only forced to make one save- an off-balanced kick from Telvildo booting the ball out of midair with little hope of careful aiming. Angband's best chance was off a quick attack where Ancalagon released Tilion nicely but Gwaihir forced Tilion's shot wide.

As the end of the half neared Pelori had possession near midfield and Manwe gave a signal, and unexpectedly all of Pelori pushed forward. The offense of Angband stayed put, staring back at Morgoth hoping for instructions. This was not in the game-plans. Pelori never did this sort of thing. And yet there they were, doing it. In the closer space they shifted to a rapidly moving one-touch passing mode, and worked the ball towards the top of the box again and again with undeniable efficiency.

With their teammates supporting them Morgoth and the Balrogs could no longer turn Pelori aside with ease, and Ilmare managed an opening for a boot. She skipped it off the ground straight off the feed, and Ungoliant barely handled the ball, deflecting it away. The defense closed, but Varda slid in first to it and sent it bounding away towards the far side, and Eonwe rose high and sent it in, and Pelori had the lead!

During the extended halftime the Pelori supporters bounced gleefully through the aisles, high-fiving and singing and grabbing refreshments. The Angband supporters on the other hand slumped about, and didn't purchase nearly as much food, though a great deal of beer was definitely handed out.

The second half started much as the first, but Pelori seemed quicker to defend than before. The commentators immediately started making comments, both positive and negative. Some pointed out how effective Pelori's defense was, and how it was their game, and that they were right to go to it. But others insisted that it was impossible to keep Angband off the scoreboard for an entire game, and that Pelori had better have something in the works to gain a second goal.

And it was the former that looked to be correct, as again and again Pelori turned Angband away. Morgoth was growing incredibly frustrated, and so did his teammates, and slowly Angband began getting violent. Pelori might have taken advantage of this, but Angband went after the right targets at the right times and instead provoked Pelori into pushing back. But despite this Pelori stayed as defensive as ever, and noting his opponent's tactics Morgoth decided to go all-in attack. Pelori bent a bit, and Manwe looked nervous, but Pelori held. And then around the 70 minute mark the thing Morgoth feared happened- Pelori let loose a surprisingly swift counter after winning possession.

Before the Balrogs could get organized, Pelori had their entire midfield up in support and Orome found a sneaky Irmo for a point blank shot. The Pelori fans shouted and rocketed from their seats, but no! Ungoliant closed the distance and deflected the shot straight into the ground, and Drauglin dove to the rolling ball and sent it away!

Taking advantage of the sudden shift of momentum, Morgoth spurred his team to move forward quickly while Pelori was still lingering in disappointment, hands on heads. Balrog #2 sent it up to Tilion, he sent it to a dashing Telvildo, who sent it towards the middle for Thuringwethil, who left it for Ulfang, who sent it to the left side to Tilion. Namo and Nahar closed on Tilion, but he chipped it immediately over them, and it appeared to all spectators as if the ball was headed directly to the defending Gwaihir. But in fact Tilion had seen a dark blur headed towards the spot, and indeed a fraction of a second before Gwaihir contacted the ball, the unmistakable muscly black tail of the fearsome Ancalagon nudged the ball back to the left post to Tilion, who had never stopped his run, and he pounded it past Manwe and into the goal for the equalizer!

Angband erupted with celebration, while Pelori screamed in protest, certain that Ancalagon had not contacted the ball legally- flying creatures are not allowed to contact the ball without some portion of their body contacting the ground. The refs hadn't seen it that way, however, and the goal stood. Even on replay it was unclear, though in slow motion it appeared that the Pelori protests may have been valid.

But nonetheless the game continued on- a sprint to the finish, tied with around 25 minutes left! Morgoth pulled his troops back, keen on giving them a bit of rest before a final push. Manwe was keen to do the same thing, though, and the game stalled before the eyes of the anxious spectators. Looking to surprise the opposition again, Pelori was the first to break the stalemate, but Morgoth was ready for them, and had his team playing fine organized defense.

As the seconds ticked away Pelori stagnated and Angband began taking over. Tilion earned a lane to drive through, but Manwe batted it aside. Thuringwethil leaped high for a header, but it went wide. Ancalagon crushed a nice Telvildo cross, but Nahar got in the way and deflected it out of bounds.

With only one minute left until full time, Angband lined up for the corner. The strong leg of Tilion was to send it in, and Morgoth brought everyone forward to force the issue. Tilion rushed forward, but he sent a shockingly weak and loopy ball in that looked set to fall right on the nearest side of the box. Both teams surged towards the ball, but as Morgoth knew would happen, the strong lean vampire Thuringwethil rose above all others- upside down, and booted the ball high to the top of the opposite side of the box, where the forgotten Balrog #2 was standing with his back to the goal, waiting just as he had so many times in practice. As the ball left Thuringwethil's foot, the mighty Balrog bent his legs and rocketed into the air, and he met the pass perfectly with a thunderous bicycle kick, nearly flattening the ball before sending it on its path rocketing into the goal!

"GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAL!!!!!!!" The Pelori announcers shielded their microphones from the howling of their Angband counterparts and drooped their heads in anguish. The pro-Angband portion of the stands turned into a boiling sea of bodies! Objects were flying everywhere, and orcs were leaping onto their neighbors, some sections featuring crowd-surfing, and others just dissolving into a heap of flailing arms and legs!

Manwe called out to his team not to give up and to try to tie it up again, but his face and voice held little conviction. He knew the battle was lost. In no time at all the game was declared over and the Angband faithful spilled onto the field to celebrate with the team. Nearly all of team Pelori ducked off the field immediately, but Manwe made the trek towards Morgoth to shake his hand as tradition dictated.

Team Angband mock-bowed to Manwe as he made his way past, and Morgoth smiled maliciously as he handed over his jersey. Some eye-witnesses report that Morgoth told Manwe, "Here, wear this. Maybe a little talent will rub off on you." But whatever was said, Manwe maintained a straight face and exited without saying a word, leaving Morgoth and company to party the night away.

The grudge match was over. Evil had triumphed!

Angband 2-1 Pelori
tot shots 16-12
on target 7-5
GOALS:
*43, 0-1 Eonwe (Varda)
*72, 1-1 Tilion (Ancalagon)
*89, 2-1 Balrog #2 (Thuringwethil)
YELLOW CARDS:
*Angband- Ulfang, Drauglin, Balrog #3, Ancalagon, Balrog #1
*Pelori- Vana, Nahar, Eonwe, Gwaihir
Old 08-16-2011, 12:20 AM   #140
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye The Championship!

The falls of Rauros roared on unchanging through the morning and into the afternoon, oblivious to the stir and bustle above and below. Late-arriving fans with reserved tickets and those just showing up to party sailed into the lower docks on the Anduin in the morning hours, and the hydro-powered lifts had them up on lake level in no time.

The spectators already staying in the various inns, condos, and houses around the lake slowly trickled into the heavily built up area surrounding the Coliseum as the day wore on. The pubs and restaurants were overflowing, and spirits were high. The areas bordering the lake were largely dominated by Men and Elves, while the forested slopes climbing up from the south side of the stadium were infested with Orcs, Wights, and Wolves.

In the early evening the great Coliseum bells sounded and the revelers paid their bills and streamed towards one of the six entrances. As the seats filled in, it became clear that Tol In Gaurhoth would own the eastern portion of the arena, but the north and west were dominated by Doriath. The high-climbing southern portion of the arena was a mix of unaffiliated football fans and Doriath supporters.

All the game-goers were united in anticipation, and fans of both sides betrayed an unusual amount of nerves. Throughout the tournament Doriath and Tol In Gaurhoth had crushed every obstacle placed in their path, both of them winning by an average margin of greater than two goals per contest! Such dominant performances had pumped up the already lofty expectations of their supporters, and more confident fans could not be found anywhere.

But now they were meeting head to head- the clash of the titans! Who would cap off one of the greatest runs in the history of the tournament? All of Arda couldn’t wait to find out.

Teams Doriath and Tol In Gaurhoth made their way onto the field to enormous applause from friend and foe alike. Doriath fans were polite in general, so their reaction was expected, but some were surprised by the less than hostile greeting the Wights and Wolves gave Doriath. In this the fans were merely following the lead of their own team- NogWolf and SkipWolf always displayed a level of civility, and the more rowdy members of the squad had reigned in their insults in the various interviews leading up to the match.

In fact the starting TIG goal keeper, ShastaWolf, had admitted to being a longtime fan of both defensive stopper Carcharoth and the expert keeper Huan. “I watch their matches every chance I get. They’re very talented and a thrill to watch, and I love how they play as well. I have great respect for those two.”

Even the most overconfident and insulting member of the squad, PhantomWolf, was somewhat complimentary in the rambling statement he gave reporters on the way into the Coliseum. “They’re good, no doubt. I’ve always thought Turin was great- I mean, I actually developed parts of my game by watching film of him. I’m faster of course, but still… And yeah, their defense has been very sound. Though I think it’s a bit unfair having Melian and Luthien on the team. Come on- what guy can concentrate properly with one of those two jostling him? But thankfully when we’re in WereWight form that sort of thing doesn’t bother us. But of course NerWolf, SallyWolf, and GaladWolf become huge distractions at that point. Like last game, I was about to send it to NogWolf when NerWolf sprinted by, and I completely lost focus. She just has the most perfectly even, gleaming, deadly teeth, and that sleek long tail…. Wait, what was the question?”

The TIG faithful fervently hoped that PhantomWolf and friends would not be distracted on this day, with everything on the line, and as warm ups began TIG definitely looked focused. The WereWolfed Wights went through their usual exercises, wowing those that had never seen the freakish beasts do their pregame routine. Their balance, flexibility, and strength were just inhuman!

But thankfully for Doriath, their players weren’t exactly normal either. Hurin the Steadfast never tires and can never be caught out of position, Beleg Strongboot boots it hard and as accurately as anyone, Eol with his incredible creativity and dexterity, and of course Turin- as agile as any Elf, but stronger.

And then there was the middle of the team- Luthien, swift and bold. Mablung, dependable and hardy. Melian, wise and intuitive, and able to boost the defenders around her with her defensive mental net.

And then at the rear- Beren, determined and athletic. Elwe, tall and intimidating. Carcharoth, fast and physical. And of course the keeper- Huan, lightning quick and battle-tested.

Without a doubt team Doriath was the most diverse and talented squad TIG had faced, and they would not go down easily.

And as top tournament official and referee Boromir88 started the contest, Doriath indeed played as if losing was simply not possible, sending the ball back and forth with astonishing speed, and releasing their forwards in on ShastaWolf within the first two minutes! Only a miraculous save by the keeper kept Doriath off the board. But not for long. Just four minutes into the game Doriath sent the TIG defense into disarray with a blinding series of passes that culminated with Hurin working his way to the end line and sending the ball across the face of the goal where the practiced foot of Eol deflected it in for the early lead!

The eastern portion of the Coliseum fell dead quiet while delighted cheers broke out elsewhere. It was quite loud, but not as much as it could’ve been, as the early score actually seemed to catch the crowd unprepared. But the Doriath supporters slowly found their voices as play continued on, and various support chants popped up all around. Doriath looked as dangerous as ever and continued their fine play, and the Wolves were scrambling to keep up and adjust their strategy on the fly.

After a few near shaves barely staved off by KuruWolf and NilpWolf, Beleg burst through the defense and as if he had a telepathic link he left it back for Turin who took it in stride and struck the ball like Gurthang striking down a troll, and ShastaWolf had no hope of reacting and barely more than twenty minutes in it was Doriath with a two goal lead!

Some TIG supporters merely stared open-mouthed in shock, while others reacted angrily. MithalWight stomped and put a hole in the bench in front of her, Mr. UnderWight fell to his knees and tore his clothing, and A Little Wight cursed loudly and broke her kantele over the head of the Orc sitting next to her. This was not how the game was supposed to go!

On the field things were little better, as nearly every TIG player appeared dazed and unsure of what to do. Predictably it was NogWolf that pulled them together, encouraging them to stick with things. “We knew they’d make a great run this game. They happened to make it early. No big deal.”

But despite the renewed effort things looked quite dire indeed around the 30 minute mark, as Doriath twice nearly added another goal to the tally, once off a free kick and a second time thanks to a ridiculous solo run from Eol.

As the clock ticked towards halftime, however, the Wolves finally began making headway. Doriath was well trained and efficient, but no team is entirely immune to fatigue, and the Doriath offense in particular had been running at a breakneck pace from the very start, and no race can outlast WereWolf Wights. As the clock flipped past 40 minutes, TIG earned their first serious opportunity, but Carcharoth forced NogWolf’s deflection wide. A minute later SkipWolf headed a corner nicely, but Huan was there to gather it in. And then with only seconds left in the half, GwathWolf really made Doriath squirm with a whizzing drive that Huan barely tipped away.

And so it was that despite the two-goal lead Doriath supporters were not quite ready to celebrate as the teams went to the locker rooms to prepare for the second half. The TIG section was still depressing, but not to the level that it was earlier. There was hope. Slim hope, but it was there.

As the second half began, team Tol In Gaurhoth grasped that hope and breathed new life into it. Doriath started the second as they had started the first, but a determined and motivated GaladWolf managed to steal away a pass and immediately sent it forward to PhantomWolf who was ahead of everyone down the right side. As he angled in at the post it was clear that Carcharoth and Melian coming from the middle would be there in time to prevent him from finding a better angle, but PhantomWolf went ahead and forced the issue.

As the pair of defenders was forced to close on him, PhantomWolf whirled between them and heeled the ball forcefully to the other side barely past Beren to a sprinting NerWolf who on one touch sent it perfectly back to the right post and in. Just like that, the lead was down to one goal!

Melian and Elwe called out to their squad, telling them to just continue as they had, and soon Doriath was in possession and looking dangerous again. But this time around they could no longer gain decent shots, as Tol In Gaurhoth had changed up the defense, refusing to chase the ball around and only offering help to defenders when it was Luthien or Eol with the ball, as they were judged to be the biggest threats to make a move to get entirely free of their defender and make a long run. Meanwhile Turin was bracketed by SkipWolf and KuruWolf, and he could find no openings.

As the clock went past 65 minutes the game once again turned in favor of TIG, and Doriath was put to the test. SallyWolf had a chance to chip in an awkward bouncer, but it went off the post, and InzilWolf pinged the crossbar with a header. At 74 minutes NogWolf somehow came free in the middle of the box and turned and shot, but Huan guessed right and smothered it. And then disaster!

Huan sent it over to Beren and he took off with it up the side until a defender found him at which time he sent it up and over to Luthien who controlled the ball beautifully out of the air and split right through her surprised defenders. SkipWolf looked to leave Turin and challenge her, but a motion of Luthien’s foot stopped him, thinking she was sending it to Turin in his absence. Finally NilpWolf caught up to her and forced her to give it up, and Luthien with a lovely piece of footwork lofted the ball to Turin’s head. But no! It was too high for Turin, as he well knew when he leaped up pretending to make a play on the ball, and the move froze TIG just long enough for Beleg to run in behind Turin and kick the ball out of the air on its way down! ShastaWolf guessed correctly and gave his best leap, but Beleg’s ball was the definition of perfection, scraping both the side and cross bar on its way into the net!

The Doriath portion of the stadium erupted with screams of joy! Their beloved team was up by two goals with 25 minutes left! “This isn’t over!” called several of the TIG players, attempting to encourage their fellows, but Melian put her troops into lockdown mode and TIG was frustrated again and again as time trickled away.

And then, agonizingly, it began to sink in that it was too late. The Wolves and Wights sank lower and lower in their seats, and the Orcs turned in disgust and streamed out. After they were turned away on a last minute corner, NogWolf and company conceded defeat on the field, and as they made their way to shake hands (or paws) with their opponents, Boromir88 blew the final whistle.

Arda Cup 2011 was at an end! Doriath had achieved immortality, cementing their name alongside all past Arda Cup champions, and in dominating fashion! The only thing left undecided was how high the experts would place them on the list of all-time great champions.

Doriath 3-1 Tol In Gaurhoth
tot shots 21-19
on target 9-8
GOALS:
*4, 1-0 Eol (Hurin)
*22, 2-0 Turin (Beleg)
*49, 2-1 NerWolf (PhantomWolf)
*74, 3-1 Beleg (Luthien)
YELLOW CARDS:
*Doriath- Elwe, Beleg
*TIG- KuruWolf, GwathWolf
Old 08-16-2011, 01:30 PM   #141
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye Phantasy points for the tournament...

Anduin (3 matches)
GK Fram (12)
DF Frumgar (4)
DF Rumil (3)
DF Orophin (1)
MF Falastur (5)
MF Calimehtar (0)
MF Durin (1)
MF Leód (16)
MF *Beorn (7)
FW Telumehtar (2)
FW Earnil II (3)

Angband (7 matches)
GK **Ungoliant (26)
DF Drauglin (11)
DF Balrog #1 (14)
DF *Balrog #2 (19)
DF **Morgoth (18)
MF Balrog #3 (6)
MF Ulfang (6)
MF *Tilion (19)
FW Telvildo (10)
FW Thuringwethil (22)
FW *Ancalagon (22)

Angfauglith (4 matches)
GK Huor (8)
DF Rochallor (-2)
DF Balrog #4 (-1)
DF *Balrog #5 (0)
DF **Fingolfin (17)
MF Rían (6)
MF Azaghål (0)
MF Ecthelion (10)
FW Gwindor (8)
FW *Maeglin (24)
FW *Gothmog (14)

Barad-Dur (4 matches)
GK Ohtar (12)
DF Fellbeast #1 (1)
DF Nazgul #1 (0)
DF Gothmog II (0)
DF Anarion (2)
MF Shagrat (-1)
MF Fellbeast #2 (3)
MF Mouth (7)
MF Cirdan (2)
MF *Gil-galad (10)
FW Isildur (4)

Beleriand (3 matches)
GK Halmir (8)
DF Bregor (1)
DF Daeron (1)
DF Handir (2)
DF Gamil Zirak (5)
MF Nellas (3)
MF Telchar (-3)
MF Aegnor (7)
MF Belegund (5)
MF Angrod (2)
FW Marach (7)

Doriath (7 matches)
GK **Huan (37)
DF Carcharoth (21)
DF Elwe (23)
DF *Beren (32)
DF **Melian (32)
MF Mablung (16)
MF Luthien (16)
MF *Eol (24)
MF *Hurin (27)
FW Beleg (26)
FW **Turin (41)

Dunharrow (3 matches)
GK Aldor (10)
DF Hama (2)
DF Brego (1)
DF Snowmane (1)
DF Theoden (2)
DF Walda (5)
MF Folca (-2)
MF Thengel (4)
MF Brytta (5)
MF Theodred (6)
FW Helm (-1)

Eregion (5 matches)
GK **Elrond (37)
DF Asfaloth (14)
DF Valandil (15)
DF Erestor (19)
DF *Celebrimbor (22)
MF Lindir (9)
MF Elladen (13)
MF Figwit (4)
MF Elrohir (8)
MF *Glorfindel (27)
FW *Earendil (14)

Eriador (3 matches)
GK Arvedui (6)
DF Tom (-2)
DF Valandur (0)
DF Bert (-2)
DF Amlaith (3)
MF Argeleb (0)
MF Halbarad (4)
MF Aranarth (2)
MF Barrow-Wight (3)
MF *Aragorn (13)
FW Araphor (11)

Esgaroth (3 matches)
GK Brand (4)
DF Mayor (-1)
DF Balin (-1)
DF Thorin (-2)
MF Galion (0)
MF Attercop (0)
MF Bain (-1)
MF Tomnoddy (-2)
MF Girion (3)
FW Dain (-1)
FW Bard (4)

Gondolin (3 matches)
GK *Rog (6)
DF Penlod (0)
DF Galdor (-1)
DF Meleth (-1)
DF Thorondor (-1)
MF Elenwe (0)
MF Salgant (1)
MF Idril (6)
MF *Turgon (9)
FW Duilin (7)
FW Egalmoth (4)

Gondor (3 matches)
GK *Ecthelion II (7)
DF Romendacil (0)
DF Felarof (0)
DF Boromir I (0)
MF Folcwine (-1)
MF Narmacil (2)
MF Ostoher (0)
MF Turambar (5)
MF *Arwen (2)
FW Eldacar (8)
FW Eorl (2)

Himring (3 matches)
GK Maglor (10)
DF Uldor (3)
DF Amrod (1)
DF Ulwarth (3)
DF Amras (4)
MF Borlach (1)
MF Ulfast (5)
MF Borthond (3)
MF Bór (4)
FW Fingon (11)
FW *Maedhros (14)

Hithlum (3 matches)
GK Imlach (6)
DF Baragund (-1)
DF Lorgan (1)
DF Algund (-1)
DF Galdor (1)
MF Gloredhel (0)
MF Gundor (-2)
MF Aradan (2)
FW Celegorm (14)
FW Curufin (17)
FW Hador (16)

Lothlorien (5 matches)
GK *Galadriel (22)
DF Amroth (8)
DF Shadowfax (9)
DF Celeborn (16)
DF **Gandalf (10)
MF Gimli (3)
MF Nimrodel (7)
MF Haldir (4)
MF Boromir II (17)
MF Legolas (22)
FW **Feanor (25)

Minas Morgul (4 matches)
GK Earnur (10)
DF Nazgul #2 (1)
DF Angamaite (-1)
DF Sangahyando (2)
DF *Nazgul #3 (7)
MF Fuinur (-3)
MF Herumor (7)
MF King Dead (8)
FW Beruthiel (1)
FW Castamir (3)
FW *Witch King (8)

Minas Tirith (3 matches)
GK Cirion (6)
DF Grimbold (-2)
DF Firefoot (-2)
DF Denethor II (-3)
DF Beregond (-1)
MF Elfhelm (4)
MF Imrahil (3)
MF Eowyn (3)
MF Faramir (0)
FW Tarondor (7)
FW Eomer (2)

Misty Mts (4 matches)
GK Caradhras (16)
DF Chief Wolf (5)
DF Landroval (4)
DF Meneldor (4)
DF Watcher (5)
MF Great Goblin (2)
MF William (-2)
MF Narvi (3)
MF Saruman (13)
MF *Durin’s Bane (11)
FW Azog (7)

Mithrim (3 matches)
GK Tuor (8)
DF Sador (-1)
DF Brodda (0)
DF Gethron (-1)
DF Grithnir (-1)
DF Annael (0)
MF Aerin (-2)
MF Morwen (5)
MF Asgon (-1)
MF Nienor (0)
FW Andróg (3)

Mordor (3 matches)
GK Silent Watcher (8)
DF Gollum (1)
DF Nazgul #4 (0)
DF Radbug (2)
DF *Nazgul #5 (5)
MF Gorbag (4)
MF Snaga (-1)
MF Nazgul #6 (2)
MF Grishnakh (8)
MF *Nazgul #7 (11)
FW Shelob (6)

Nargothrond (3 matches)
GK Barahir (6)
DF Baran (0)
DF Guilen (-1)
DF Gelmir (-1)
DF Arminas (-1)
MF Mim (-1)
MF Gildor (0)
MF Emeldir (0)
MF *Glaurung (14)
MF Finduilas (6)
FW Beor (2)

Numenor (3 matches)
GK Silmariën (8)
DF Tar Meneldur (3)
DF Tar Cirytan (4)
DF Tar Calmacil (4)
DF *Ar Zimrathan (3)
MF Tar Elendil (-1)
MF Ar Gimilzor (-1)
MF Tar Ancalimon (3)
MF Vardamir (-1)
MF *Tar Miriel (8)
FW Tar Surion (4)

Pelori (7 matches)
GK *Manwe (24)
DF Gwaihir (8)
DF Nahar (8)
DF Nienna (15)
DF *Namo (16)
MF Vana (4)
MF Orome (6)
MF Irmo (3)
MF Ilmare (11)
MF *Varda (22)
FW Eonwe (21)

Shire-Bree United (3 matches)
GK Butterbur (6)
DF Harry (0)
DF Bill (0)
DF Lumpkin (-1)
DF Ferny (-2)
MF Gerontius (-1)
MF Frodo (0)
MF Samwise (4)
MF Pippin (-2)
FW Bandobras (2)
FW Merry (0)

The Downer (3 matches)
GK King Bus (8)
DF Soap Pope (0)
DF Burnt Bert (-2)
DF Philip Hampton (-1)
MF John Fillis (1)
MF Morsul (-2)
MF Lalwende MP (5)
MF Saucepan Man (5)
MF Peter Hampton (2)
MF Hookbill (2)
FW Alien (1)

The Forest (4 matches)
GK Old Man Willow (8)
DF Haleth (-3)
DF Fimbrethil (-1)
DF Treebeard (-2)
MF Goldberry (0)
MF Quickbeam (5)
MF Skinbark (-2)
MF River Woman (8)
FW Saeros (1)
FW Thranduil (10)
FW *Bombadil (18)

Tirion (4 matches)
GK Orodreth (12)
DF Elemmakil (0)
DF Elemmírë (2)
DF Caranthir (9)
DF *Aule (5)
MF Enerdhil (-1)
MF Finarfin (6)
MF Mahtan (3)
MF *Finrod (16)
FW Aredhel (14)
FW Finwe (15)

Tol Eressea (4 matches)
GK Amandil (16)
DF Tar Aldarion (10)
DF Osse (7)
DF *Salmar (9)
DF *Ulmo (16)
MF Voronwe (1)
MF Lindo (5)
MF Eriol (1)
MF Earwen (7)
MF Elwing (10)
FW Uinen (2)

Tol In Gaurhoth (7 matches)
GK ShastaWolf (34)
DF KuruWolf (17)
DF NilpWolf (17)
DF *SkipWolf (22)
MF GaladWolf (12)
MF SallyWolf (12)
MF InzilWolf (11)
MF *PhantomWolf (27)
FW GwathWolf (17)
FW NerWolf (18)
FW *NogWolf (24)

Valinor (5 matches)
GK Ingwe (16)
DF Indis (3)
DF Vaire (3)
DF Tulkas (3)
MF Nessa (1)
MF Este (2)
MF Yavanna (9)
MF Olwe (2)
FW Nerdanel (17)
FW *Miriel (17)
FW Arien (22)

Westernesse (5 matches)
GK *Tar Atanamir (24)
DF Tar Palantir (10)
DF Elendil (10)
DF Malbeth (17)
DF **Tar Telperien (15)
MF Hyarmendacil (8)
MF Mardil (9)
MF Ar Adunakhor (15)
FW Tar Minastir (11)
FW Elros (24)
FW Ar Pharazon (17)

Wilderland (4 matches)
GK Grimbeorn (14)
DF Great Warg (5)
DF Alatar (10)
DF Oropher (8)
DF *Pallando (9)
MF Radagast (4)
MF Bolg (2)
MF Khamul (11)
FW Smaug (14)
FW *Sauron (20)
FW Scatha (9)
Old 08-16-2011, 02:39 PM   #142
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye All-Star Team

Every year there are players that rise above the rest when it comes to earning their owners Phantasy points. This year, these are the players that really knew how to light up the score sheet on a per-game basis.

Phantasy All-Star Team

GK **Elrond (Eregion)
DF **Fingolfin (Angfauglith)
DF *Celebrimbor (Eregion)
DF *Beren (Doriath)
DF **Melian (Doriath)
MF *Glaurung (Nargothrond)
MF Leod (Anduin)
MF *Glorfindel (Eregion)
FW Curufin (Hithlum)
FW **Turin (Doriath)
FW *Maeglin (Angfauglith)
Old 08-16-2011, 03:33 PM   #143
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye Arda Football Association All-Star Teams...

There were a lot of standout performers in this year's Arda Cup, so the choices were difficult, but in the end we feel we have selected a very worthy collection of players who really produced for their teams and did everything they could to push their sides towards the ultimate prize.

AFA First Team

GK **Elrond (Eregion)
DF *SkipWolf (TIG)
DF *Celebrimbor (Eregion)
DF *Beren (Doriath)
DF **Melian (Doriath)
MF *PhantomWolf (TIG)
MF *Hurin (Doriath)
MF *Glorfindel (Eregion)
FW *NogWolf (TIG)
FW **Feanor (Lothlorien)
FW **Turin (Doriath)

AFA Second Team

GK **Huan (Doriath)
DF Malbeth (Westernesse)
DF *Ulmo (Tol Eressea)
DF **Fingolfin (Angfauglith)
DF *Balrog #2 (Angband)
MF Legolas (Lothlorien)
MF *Finrod (Tirion)
MF *Varda (Pelori)
FW Elros (Westernesse)
FW *Maeglin (Angfauglith)
FW Thuringwethil (Angband)
Old 08-16-2011, 08:37 PM   #144
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Pipe ArdaCup.com Stats Report 10: The Finals

Bracket:

Power Ranking - Per Game Statistics:

• (1) - champion
  • (2) - runner-up
  • (3) - 2nd runner-up
  • (4) - 3rd runner-up
  • (q) - quarterfinalist
  • (o) - reached knockout stage
  • (x) - failed to reach knockout stage

The Power Ranking is based on the aggregate of offensive and defensive ranking--the lower the aggregate, the higher the rank. Ties are broken by a) better final rank in the standings; and b) better goal differential.

The offensive ranking is based on the average number of goals scored by the teams per game. Ties are broken by a) greater average number of shots made on target per game; b) greater average number of shots made per game; and c) better final rank in the standings.

The defensive ranking is based on the average number of goals allowed by the teams per game. Ties are broken by a) least average number of shots allowed on target per game; b) least average number of shots allowed per game; and c) better final rank in the standings.

Final Standings

Phantasy Numbers - Top Performers:

GOALS
Túrin (Doriath)

Arien (Valinor)
Ancalagon (Angband)

Fëanor (Lothlórien)
Húrin (Doriath)
Eönwë (Pelóri)
NerWolf (Tol-in-Gaurhoth)
Hador (Hithlum)

ASSISTS
Beleg (Doriath)

Maeglin (Anfauglith)
Elros (Westernesse)
Thuringwethil (Angband)
Sauron (Wilderland)
Eöl (Doriath)
Varda (Pelóri)

Túrin (Doriath)
PhantomWolf (Tol-in-Gaurhoth)
Curufin (Hithlum)
Míriel (Valinor)
Nerdanel (Valinor)
Lúthien (Doriath)
InzilWolf (Tol-in-Gaurhoth)

GOALKEEPER
  1. 93.6% (29/31) Elrond (Eregion)
  2. 88.2% (30/34) Huan (Doriath)
  3. 84.0% (21/25) Tar-Atanamir (Westernesse)
  4. 83.9% (26/31) ShastaWolf (Tol-in-Gaurhoth)
  5. 82.4% (14/17) Amandil (Tol Eressëa)
  6. 80.0% (20/25) Galadriel (Lothlórien)
  7. 77.8% (14/18) Fram (Anduin)
  8. 77.3% (17/22) Caradhras (Misty Mts)
  9. 76.2% (16/21) Aldor (Dunharrow)
  10. 75.8% (25/33) Ungoliant (Angband)
  11. 75.8% (25/33) Manwë (Pelóri)

Last edited by Nilpaurion Felagund; 08-17-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:31 PM   #145
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Last of EAisticle for this year!

It has been discovered that the owner and publisher of EAisticle is the same person who got a certain place in the Phantasy Football competition. We stalked her all Day... day long, waiting for her to finish playing Werewolf already so that we could interview her. When we finally caught her, we bound and gagged her and threatened to dump her in evil mayo if she doesn't answer our questions.

And she didn't.

But then we realised that we gagged her, so we took out the gag. This is what the conversation looked like:

Reporter: Galadriel55, isn't it?

G55: Miss Galadriel55, you snaga.

Reporter: Oh whatever. What is your final standing in the Fantasy Phootball?

G55: It's Phantasy Football.

Reporter: Oh whatever. What is your final standing?

G55: My final is not standing. It is sitting.

Reporter: Whatever! How did you finish?

G55: I didn't finish! I'm not done with them yet!

Reporter: I don't care! What place did you get?

G55: Third.

Reporter: ...Third?

G55: Last.

Reporter: So third or last?

G55: Third last.

Reporter: ...Whatever.

At this point, a corrsepondent came running from the pitch with new news. He handed us a piece of paper where we read all the truth about our boss.

Reporter: It says here that you are on the Werewolves' team. Are you?

G55: Am not! What a way to accuse people! I'm an ordo!

Reporter: But you are! You're on the T-I-G team. And yet you predicted that Doriath will win the finals. Is that right?

G55: There's only one final, and it's sitting!

Reporter: Yes, we heard that already. But we want to find out something else. We have a hutch - just the teensiest suspicion - that you purposely let your team down to get those prediction points. Is that true?

G55: Prediction points are always true if you predict the right thing.

Reporter: No, I meant, is it true that you subtly stopped your team from winning to get those prediction points?

G55: What? How DARE you suggest that?! You're the wolf! Lynch him!

Reporter: ...Whatever.

G55: That's it! You're fired! And you're not allowed to publish this issue! I forbid you!

At this point we decided that we don't need any more information, so we thought it's high time to dump her in evil mayo. But since we couldn't find any, we just let her go.

We still published the interview, but we were fired and we couldn't do anything about that. We are now looking for a place to work with The Downer. If there will not be any such, we will work there illegally.

Thank you for reading!

Last edited by Galadriel55; 08-17-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:44 PM   #146
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye Finalist exit interviews....

Our MESPN reporters managed to get some quotes from various finals participants over the past couple days. Here they are for your reading pleasure.

MESPN: Hey, Ancalagon- congrats on beating Pelori.
Ancalagon: Thanks. We really wanted that one.
MESPN: What was your favorite thing in or about the match?
Ancalagon: I love that my various relations got to see it. Most places won't let dragons watch, but with this magic hill here they found a nice perch where they could view the whole thing.
MESPN: Have you thought about next year yet?
Ancalagon: Not really, but no need. I can't see any reason why things would need to change for me.
MESPN: Thuringwethil, I'm with MESPN- nice playing.
Thuringwethil: Thanks. I was rather fabulous, wasn't I?
MESPN: What did it mean to you to beat Pelori?
Thuringwethil: It wasn't nearly so important to me as Morgoth, Ancalagon, Ungoliant, and the Balrogs. I've always been more about the smaller battles in Beleriand than the grand scale conflict.
MESPN: Does that mean you may look for a team that better fits you next year?
Thuringwethil: I'm not set on it, but leaning that direction. All the training and bunking in Angband is a bit claustrophobic for me. I'd prefer someplace where I can stretch my wings more often.
MESPN: All right, we wish you luck.
MESPN: Manwe, MESPN here. Any words to your supporters?
Manwe: Events unfolded as we knew they would.
MESPN: Okay- any changes for next year?
Manwe: Indeed, yes. I have foreseen that entire teams will be scattered, and new teams will emerge, and that there will be no games played in the Blessed Realm.
MESPN: So, you don't plan to have a team next year?
Manwe: That is not what I said.
MESPN: Excuse me, Namo! MESPN, here-
Namo: Yes, I knew you'd show up.
MESPN: Well right. Could you clarify some statements from your captain, Manwe?
Namo: I can only confirm everything he has said.
MESPN: Well, what about Pelori's roster then? Will you bring back the same team?
Namo: No. No team is safe from this off-season. I have divined that we will lose at least a third of our team.
MESPN: Any names?
Namo: Important ones.
MESPN: Hey, NogWolf, do you have any final words about the tournament?
NogWolf: We fell short, I'm sorry to say. But we had a great run.
MESPN: Your squad has been solid every year. What's the secret?
NogWolf: Good team spirit, strategy, and experience together. And of course this year our new and improved Werewolf forms.
MESPN: There have been rumors that you will not be allowed to compete in these forms again, as they have been judged unnatural and too stiff a competitive advantage.
NogWolf: What happens will happen. No matter what we'll be back competing to the fullest.
MESPN: Hey, Thingol!
Elwe: Hello! Splendid tournament, wasn't it?
MESPN: Yes, you guys were fantastic.
Elwe: We had a diverse soup of strengths and talents, and everyone was committed to hard work and team play. So naturally we did well. That's what it takes!
MESPN: So- greatest team of all time?
Elwe: Oh, I can't say that definitively. The dawn of time Utumno and Valinor squads were rather strong. And during my lifetime Angband had a couple amazing teams, as did Mithrim, Gondolin, and Nargothrond. And of course that Union of Maedhros team was spectacular. But I think we could give anyone a fight.
MESPN: So, is it a repeat next year?
Elwe: We'd love to, but we're hearing there is going to be a major reformation next year with salary crackdowns. If the rumors are true I'm not certain we can keep this team together.
MESPN: Well then, better enjoy this one to the fullest then?
Elwe: Absolutely! I'll be partying all month!
MESPN: Turin, MESPN news. Was this your best season ever?
Turin: It was very good, but I'm not certain if it eclipsed Arda Cup XXXVII with Nargothrond. But this team might be better.
MESPN: Elwe spoke of salary difficulties next year. Have you heard about that?
Turin: Yes, yes, it's too bad, but something needed to be done to even things out competitively, so I'll just roll with it.
MESPN: Any idea about where you'll be next season?
Turin: Well, I am a bit homesick, so I'll certainly be looking for a chance to go back to the north if the offer is right. But if Doriath pays me best, I might just stay here.
MESPN: What about your dad?
Turin: Well yes, if he sticks around I'll be more likely to. We've talked about it and we'd love to play together again, wherever we end up.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #147
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

A look back

2011 Arda Cup in Review
BoroLXXXVIII, Two Towers Network

Well, we are aware it's been a while since Doriath steamrolled their way through the Championship (+20 goal differential...Inconceivable!), but decided to have a look back at some of the highlights (and lowlights) in 2011. We were planning on doing final power rankings, but seeing as there is not much disagreement with ArdaCup.com's ranks, there was no point to be redundant.

So, what we have done as we take "a look back" is note some of this year's disappointments, and teams we believe are on the rise to better fortunes, as well as those falling from the pinnacle.

The polarity of the Goal-keeping. This was something peculiar about 2011. Never before have we seen GKs rise to the level of Elrond or Huan (plus a handful of others in the mid to low-80% saves). However, never before have we seen such an atrocious display of "the rest." 8 of 32 teams had goalies with a save% of 60% or below. And over half the teams (17) had GKs with a save% of below 70%. It was feast of famine this year for most teams and one of the most important positions, goal keeper.

The poor quality of the Gondor teams. It was a bad year for any loyal Gondorian. Minas Tirith and Gondor only finished with 1 pt. each and both were last in their groups. Plus, it's not like they played in any of the insurmountable groups of death. Both Gondor teams attempted to ally with their Rohirric friends, but that experiment failed.

Despite having a strong bond of friendship, Gondor and Rohan's playing styles are too different to mesh together. Gondor's legendary Steward defenders know how to defend in times of trouble. And Gondor will look to wear you down with mistake free football. Rohan on the other hand likes to run up and down the pitch, and count on their tireless horses in defense to do just enough to get in the way. The attempt to fuse the two styles together backfired. I would not be surprised to see at least Eorl and Eomer return to Rohan (possibly Eowyn), and Gondor should make a heavy push to bring back the talents of Aragorn and Boromir II.

*We will also make brief mention here of our disappointment with the way Valinor handled hosting their games. You would think the Valar would have their act and organization together better than most, as Aman could be a beautiful venue to host games. Instead the planning committees every year have a laundry list of allegations of corruption and foul play. Either the Blessed Realm gets it's act together or we would like to see strict punishments levied against Manwe and the Valar. But who would have the authority to enforce such punishment?

Stocks Rising and Falling

For this part, we will look ahead and try to project teams who are going to be on the rise, or decline, in 2012. A few clarifications first.

To qualify as being a team on the rise/decline, we're not looking for simply improved performance, but a marked and visible improvement. For instance, we find it hard to believe Esgaroth could get any worse than they showed this year (I guess if their only change was to sell Girion and bring in Oin?) Esgaroth has to be better than 2011, they really can't get worse. However, they would need a complete overhaul in personel to show any sign of significant improvement.

So, when putting this together section together, I am looking at teams who will make the jump from eliminated in group play to the playoffs (and possibly further in the playoffs) or teams who made it to the playoffs this year, but will drop out in 2012 due to their stocks falling.

Let's begin on the brighter side with a few teams we anticipate to be on the rise:

5. Hithlum: This will depend on if Celegorm and Curufin decide to stay. If they do, I can't see how these skilled sons of Feanor will miss out on the playoffs for 2 straight tournaments. The reason Hithlum didn't advance was a tough draw, with Angband and Anfauglith, and their defenses were awful. We don't expect Celegorm and Curufin will stick around if Hador wants to move them back on defense. However, Hador has shown a willingness to do whatever it takes to field a solid team. Hador's been a solid defender for Hithlum in the past, don't be surprised if he comes back to shore up the defense and maybe replace Imlach with a much better keeper. Thus keeping Celegorm and Curufin happy as the FWs.

4. Eriador: After a surprising quarter finals appearance in 2010, 2011 was a big disappointment for Arvedui's team. However, we expect the core players (Arvedui, obviously, and Araphor) to stick around. The gamble with the troll defenders failed, but we are curious to what Arvedui hinted at after Eriador's elimination in group play. He's wanted to put something to work the past few years, but didn't have the budget to pull it off. Do they for 2012? And what could that be? Needless to say TTN is intrigued, because I feel, after Minas Morgul's lackluster showing, we might be seeing The Witch-King (and maybe some of his fellow Nazgul's) back on top the great Watch Tower? Hmmm...

3. Himring: Kind of similar to Hithlum's situation, we just can't see Maedhras and Fingon being kept out of the playoffs for 2 straight years. They are too good of talents to be kept out back-to-back cups. Also, the two friends are committed to staying together to create a true contender. With more time, expect Maedhros and Fingon to be hard at work bringing in better defensive stars than the alliance of the Faithful and Treacherous men they had this year.

2. Numenor: This team more or less formed without even trying to form. These cast-off Numenoreans were waiting for Elros or Ar-Pharazon, but they hadn't known that Elros had secretly formed the super-power Westernessed team. The Numenorean nation may realize they are strongest when they're all together. Despite this accidental formation of team Numenor this year, they to no surprise put together a stingy defense. Clearly they will need strikers. And maybe with Westernesse falling short of their goal this year, we see Ar-Pharazon and/or Elros return to Numenor. This will provide a proven leader, and striker, to a Numenor team that desperately lacked them this year.

1. Nargothrond: Nargothrond's been on the decline for several years, but TTN believes they truly hit rock bottom this year. Normally they were the toughest of opponents, grinding out hard fought 1-goal victories. The past couple years, they've lost the 1-goal games and were simply overrun this year by some pretty mediocre teams. Don't worry Master Felagund, your Nargothrondians will be back and stronger than ever. Especially with Finduilas having the humility to know she made a mistake taking over the team, expect the ancient leaders, Finrod and Orodreth, to return, restoring the roar back to Nargothrond.

Now the teams with falling stocks:

5. Gondolin: We're starting off with Gondolin and it may be a surprise, because Gondolin finished 25th this year. How can they get worse, right? Well, they might finish higher in the overall standings in 2012, but honestly I can't see this team (as is) competing to make the playoffs. The truth of the matter is, Gondolin was in a ridiculously difficult group, and true Turgon had aligned a much depleted team from Gondolin's 2010 Arda Cup winning team. Problem is, Gondolin appears to be panicking and laying all the blame on Turgon. Turgon could be forced out of Gondolin and that, in my opinion, is a big mistake. You had a down year, Gondolin fans, that's not a reason to panic and burn the bridge with your leader, Turgon.

4. Pelori: I think Pelori's maxed out, they've gone as far as they can go with Manwe's style, and that was only good enough for 4th place. With the recent dissensions of Tulkas (going off to form Valinor) and Aule (Tirion) plus the less publicized split with Ulmo, I don't see Pelori being able to hold together. Since Manwe likes visions, I'll give him a TTN envision. The Valar continue to break apart in attempts of indirectly rebelling against Manwe.

3. Misty Mountains: Sort of like Pelori, I just think the Misty Mountains has gone as far as they're going to go. Caradhras was a pleasant addition and will likely stick around. It solved Misty Mountains goal-keeping problems, when they had The Watcher, between the posts. But what will happen with Saruman and Durin's Bane? Do they plan to stick around and maybe add another goal-scorer to help the Misty Mountains progress further? I don't think so.

2. Lothlorien: Lothlorien will probably make one of the bigger drops, because I have no doubts Feanor will be gone. Feanor never sticks around in one place for more than a year. Wherever Feanor goes, the team he goes on improves. The team he leaves from declines. The more wealthy Noldor teams, like Tirion, can in some ways make up for the void left by Feanor. However, you'll note Tirion declined in 2011. So, what's going to happen to Lothlorien who never made the playoffs before Feanor arrived? Add on top of that Galadriel will never surrender power over her Guarded Realm. They should be a stout defensive team again, but their offense is going to go in the gutters.

1. Doriath: Same reasons as Lothlorien, they're going to lose too much when they lose Turin. Turin never stays in one place for more than a year either, and his asking price is rumored to be extremely high. Thingol emptied the bank to put all of his eggs into this years basket. It worked, but TTN expects the championship players to be wanting too much money to stay together again. Turin will go, and surely that means Hurin will follow, along with Beleg. That's a lot of talent to lose and have to replace. We can know this will happen with 90% certainty.

Thingol and Melian will also likely stay together, those two are inseperable. But how far has Doriath gone with those two alone? So the trickier question becomes what will happen to Eol, Beren, Luthien, Mablung, Carcharoth and Huan? If that core can be afforded than Doriath will still be able to field quite a strong and dangerous team. Although, we must say that we can't see all of those players coming back. Perhaps Thingol can keep Beren, Luthien and Mablung. But doubtful with regards to Eol, Carcharoth and Huan.