The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-10-2003, 06:10 AM   #481
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Eye

Shut up Galadriel of the olden. You might be old, but you don't have the right to cnfuze that poor little girl. So stay away or feel my wrath!
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 06:14 AM   #482
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

BUAHAHA, Olden, not Older. I'm a junior high kid! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] So... Nil's a few years older than me [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

~Menelien
Old 05-10-2003, 06:17 AM   #483
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Be quite, or I will send the pants attacking monkey of doom towards you.
Old 05-10-2003, 06:18 AM   #484
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Oh, but I have the power of the dancing cell phone! It may return at any moment to assist me in my task! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
By the way, and on topic, I still crack up every time I see Chicken [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

~Menelien
Old 05-10-2003, 06:33 AM   #485
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Quote:
you don't have the right to cnfuze that poor little girl. So stay away or feel my wrath!
Helkahothion likes Niluial, Helkahothion likes Niluial... oh, poor Don [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I like whoever has the penguin one that I wanted's avatar. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

~Menelien
Old 05-10-2003, 06:33 AM   #486
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Yeah the chicken is cool. But my avatar will wipe the floor with your cellphone mwuahahahaha.

[edit]
Quote:
Helkahothion likes Niluial, Helkahothion likes Niluial
Yes so?
[/edit]

[ May 10, 2003: Message edited by: Helkahothion ]
Old 05-10-2003, 06:35 AM   #487
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

No, yours isn't moving. My cellphone will dance and say *beep* (literally). It will chase you away with its dancy beepiness... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

~Menelien
Old 05-10-2003, 06:37 AM   #488
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Yes, but my avatar contains a text that will make your cellphone weep and cry and run away, because it is so sensetive.
Old 05-10-2003, 11:00 AM   #489
Lossentilien
Wight

Lossentilien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Maybe someone should step in here before things get ugly...er.
Old 05-10-2003, 11:21 AM   #490
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I second that, Loss. Helka, Galadriel, break it up! Your avatars can duke it out later.
Old 05-10-2003, 11:35 AM   #491
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I think we've talked long enougn about avatars. Let's go to THE BOOKS and talk about Middle-earth.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:17 PM   #492
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

So far I've liked The Phantom's & Alkanoonion's avatars. But I'm sure I'll be posting more here with new ones .

Last edited by The Only Real Estel; 06-03-2004 at 01:24 PM.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 01:19 PM   #493
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

bombadil's
yeah phantom's is cool but bombadils is awesome why cant i have an awesome avator!!
Old 06-03-2004, 01:22 PM   #494
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
I nominate Bethberry, because it is mysterious, pretty, &... what is it?

...also Mad Baggins, for sheer "what the..?" value.
"This miserable drizzling afternoon I have been reading up old military lecture-notes again:- and getting bored with them after an hour and a half. I have done some touches to my nonsense fairy language - to its improvement."
Son of Númenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 01:25 PM   #495
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Oh yeah, I've always liked HCIsland's avatar also . HC was the first poster whose name really stuck with me when I first joined, so that helps his case too .
Old 06-03-2004, 01:30 PM   #496
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye

Ah, yes, how could I forget The Saucepan Man! His avatar is perfect for the name, and it gives me a visual image of his BD-self.

In fact, that's what I like about avatars in general.
Saraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 01:48 PM   #497
Maeggaladiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The end of the world as we know it. I feel fine, incidentally.
Maeggaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Whoopsie... Heh heh.... I guess there WAS a thread for best avatar. Thank you to whoever erased the new one. Stupid me! Stupid stupid stupid me! *bangs head on wall* Don't hurt me, okay?
Old 06-13-2004, 06:22 PM   #498
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
I love Finwe's and Maeg's avvies! (Maeg: goes perfect with your hilarious siggy!)
I liked Mark's old one, but the new one is still cute.
I also like mine!
Old 06-13-2004, 08:00 PM   #499
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots What mystery hath wrought

Well now, Son of Númenor, shall I ruin the mystery? Or will the name simply bring even more mysterious ideas to my persona? Hmm. decisions...

Well, perhaps something can be said. It is a fey, taken from a Gothic Gardening site which no longer exists. Fey characters are thought to be whimsical and strange, otherworldly, belonging to the realms of fairies and elves and marked by a spell of apprehension of death. Subtly Tolkienish methought. In retrospect, sadly "applicable."

And yours I like a great much as well, a starkly stylised sun. But I could be wrong. What can you tell us of it?

Nuruamiel's is sweet and loving; Piosenniel's I have always liked; Squatter's is inscrutable; Mithadan could use one, as could Mr. Underhill and davem and Marilofthelongname. Ulmo's and Barrow Wight's and OneWhiteTree's's are unique, while HerenIstarion's balances a restraint with exhuberance, a nice reflection of him, I think. Manôphazân's manages to be funny, to me at least. Guinevere's compliments her nickname very well. Alaklondewen's is, I think, very subtle. To me, littlemanpoet's is wonderfully medieval. Durelin's I like for its style. I have a soft spot for dwarven avatars, like Kuruharan's and Regin Hardhammer's. Maikadilwen's has always made me giggle and dance inside. As for The PerkyEnt's, well, there's something wholly appropriate about it. burrahobbit's sun I like and Rimbaud's Peter Pan is too apt for words. Himaran has a bright aspect I like while Carrûn's always brings a smile to my face. Lush's rose is lovely to my mind and Kransha's eye is a hoot. I liked Diamond18's old one a bit better than her new one.

Oh, I could go on and on! There are so many intriguing avatars here.

SaucepanMan's has been too highly praised to need mine. And, as for Estelyn's, well, my entire viewing of Shrek2 was influenced by my constant memories of her red-haired, green-eyed heroines. I kid you not. I kept seeing REB2 as I watched the credits rather than Shrek2.

Last edited by Bêthberry; 06-14-2004 at 11:16 AM.
Bêthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 06:56 AM   #500
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

I am terrified of Sirithheruwen's avatar. That creature haunts my dreams.

The avatars I like best are funny pictures which suggest that that Downer really does look like the cartoon depicted. Barrow-wight's and Saucepan man's are two excellent examples of this.

I really liked my old Andrew WK picture but it vanished one day for no reason. I spent 3 weeks sobbing and then finally got a new one and came back to the Downs. Avatars bring out so many emotions!
Old 06-14-2004, 08:03 AM   #501
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
I am terrified of Sirithheruwen's avatar. That creature haunts my dreams.
Heh! It's supposed to be a girl, from a show called "Teen Titans."

Bethberry named many wonderful ones that I had forgotten. I also like Bethberry's avvie too.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:36 AM   #502
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Teen Titans eh? I always see adverts for that show during the breaks in He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. (Speaking of which, SamwiseGamgee's avatar of Skeletor is awesome!)
Old 06-16-2004, 01:26 PM   #503
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
I miss the yellow dancing chicken from Mattias.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:28 PM   #504
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Estelyn's, well, my entire viewing of Shrek2 was influenced by my constant memories of her red-haired, green-eyed heroines. I kid you not. I kept seeing REB2 as I watched the credits rather than Shrek2.
I am not ashamed to say that the case was the same for me. Not in the same way though, I suppose. Every time I saw Fiona (even as an ogre...) I wanted to stand up and say "ESTELYN!" but I contained myself and merely thought of threads being closed.

Yes. I know. I am pathetic sometimes. THE THINGS THIS PLACE DOES TO PEOPLE!

Quote:
I miss the yellow dancing chicken from Mattias.
Indeed. It made me rather happy sometimes...watching it dance...it danced better than I can...which makes me sad...but then seeing it maked me laugh again...it was a bitter cycle.

Along the lines of Estelyn's avvy...I would like to say that I rather enjoy seeing Imladris' avatar, as well. What a dashing and handsome young prince!

-Aylwen

Last edited by Aylwen Dreamsong; 06-16-2004 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Silly, silly Aylwen!
Aylwen Dreamsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 03:47 PM   #505
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Quote:
I am terrified of Sirithheruwen's avatar. That creature haunts my dreams.[
And creature is truly the only word - Eomer, I quite agree. Whoever knew anything contained in such a small, square space...could be so very evil...

There are a few I kind of miss, actually. Mattias's dancing chicken, once more, must have a mention, although I hold it almost solely responsible for the sudden elevation of my internet bill around that time - there was something oddly hypnotic about it... but also Mattias's other avatar, before, or after, or maybe before and after The Chicken - it was an image of a character from Final Fantasy, Cloud...something I don't know, having grown up with The Beano and The Dandy...well, comparing it to 'Dennis the Menace', who never exactly cut a dashing figure, Mattias's avatar was just one of those anime images that makes me wonder how so much charisma can be injected into a cartoon character. Also, it seemed to suit him - for example, his RPG characters often had a rather melancholy nature and the 'handsome', yet solemn, avatar seemed to fit them. And besides, I knew Mattias was blonde with kinda spunky hair - so hey, it fitted.

Another is Durelin's old avatar - which, I admit, I rather fell in love with. It resided at various times as my xanga background and even as my desktop at one point Darkly beautiful. And that was another avatar which I began to associate with Durelin's image, as I didn't know what she looked like (...and still don't in fact). Like Mattias's, it just seemed to suit so perfectly. So there you have it: Durelin a darksome, evil desktop image and, Mattias shall always be immortalised in Final Fantasy

More recently, I must say that Nurumariel's avatar has caught my eye - a lovely depiction of the Virgin Mary and Christ as a child. It seems to glow slightly, and is so peaceful and lovely - beautiful, and unusual for someone to pick a religious image as an avatar.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:03 PM   #506
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Am I the only one who actually likes Sirithheruwen's avatar then? I think it's cool. But speaking of scary avatars, the Barrow-Wight's new one is creeping me out. And there was someone else's, who I can't seem to remember.

But my favorite avatars are Child of the Seventh Age's eagle, Son of Númenor's sun, Bêthberry's whatever it is, Saucepan Man's, Estelyn's, Mad Baggins', and Fordim's last one, the pug dog. And there are so many others, but these are a few that have caught my eye.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 08:34 PM   #507
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
1420!

Quote:
...and Fordim's last one, the pug dog.
I rather fancy his new one, myself. *heres Indiana Jones theme play from somewhere far off*

And Son of Numenor's is especially neat. And then there is Aylwen's, which looks so familiar, but I can't place it...

Quote:
So there you have it: Durelin a darksome, evil desktop image
You have no idea how flattering that is, Aman! It's baaaack, thanks to the marvels of photoshop. You say it fits? *feels all proud and evil*

And thank you, Bethberry, for your comment on my (now) old one. I did like it, and it most likely shall return, once I feel I have had enough of being darksome and evil.

-Durelin

Last edited by Durelin; 06-16-2004 at 08:38 PM.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 09:15 PM   #508
Vuelve
Wight

Location: A portal to an alternate dimension at your local Wal-Mart store.
Vuelve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Vuelve
I like the BW's avitar. It pretty cool looking.
Vuelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 08:51 AM   #509
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

I liked the Barrow-wight's old avatar. That little monster was cute....in a way.

Sirithheruwen's avatar. I definitely think its the most striking one. It terrifies me, yet delights me in a small way too. I'd give it a vote for all round most amazing avatar, but I'm still scared of it.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:05 AM   #510
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I always had a bit of a problem with Firefoot's avatar.
I thought it was Gimli, but somehow that didn't make any sence, untill I finally saw that it was a horse...
Old 06-17-2004, 01:40 PM   #511
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye

Quote:
THE THINGS THIS PLACE DOES TO PEOPLE!
*laughs for the rest of the day*

Perhaps that's how I should get my friends to join.

Anyway... I like Sirithheruwen's avvy. I couldn't place it for a while until I saw her on Teen Titans. I, like Aylwen, had to stop myself from yelling:

"Look, it's Sirithheruwen!"

I also like the Barrow-Wight's new one. I liked the other one too. It kind of looked like the Linux penguin.
Saraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 03:03 PM   #512
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Quote:
I liked the Barrow-wight's old avatar. That little monster was cute....in a way.
That's what it was? I could never make it out... I think I finally just decided it was The Hulk's face, with half of it covered in shadow. Of course I only decided that so I could get it out of my head, but it worked for the moment .
Old 06-17-2004, 03:24 PM   #513
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.

It's Opus the Penguin from Bloom County. From top to bottom: Little eyes, big nose, flightless wing, funny feet.

Half of the Hulk's face???
Old 06-17-2004, 04:10 PM   #514
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Quote:
lol, well...maybe quite a bit less than half of the Hulk's face .

The image of 'Opus' is still a little unclear, though. Oh well, now that I at least have been told what it is, I'll be troubled by it no more !!!
Old 06-17-2004, 04:22 PM   #515
Mad Baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: A place where after thunder golden showers come falling like a rain of flowers.
Mad Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
I love Durelin's...it's so bewitching. And mark12_30's Stitch makes me giggle.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:23 AM   #516
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

Oh, Mad Baggins you changed your avatar. That's going to take a bit of getting used to!

How could I forget Mariska's famous avatars. Your old one was scary in a mock-fantasy-becomes-horror way, but your latest one is most definitely the friendliest avatar I have ever seen. It just seems to say "I love you all, let's go and dance on the hill!"
Old 06-18-2004, 11:44 AM   #517
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
White Tree <- And that's the best icon, by the way

Quote:
I liked Diamond18's old one a bit better than her new one.
What was my old one? I can't remember... though I know this one looks a lot better at a larger size. Hmmmm... let me see if I can attach it.

I wish I could come up with some mentions that haven't already been mentioned... hm. Well, forget that. I like Saraphim's, that Elven gaze is quite striking. Maeg's is funny, it reminds me of Liv at the Oscars. I like Eomer's Eomer because... well, obviously, it goes with his name, and I get to look at Karl Urban. Saucepan's is doubly cool because he drew it himself. Mad Baggins old one was hilarious. Eowyn Skywalker's is, like her name, funny and original. Kuruharan's is suitably regal and dwarven. Fordim Hedgethistle's dog is, um, interesting.

B-W's new one is by far the scariest I've seen and I'd like to take this opportunity to petition that he get a sane, child-friendly one like the rest of us.

Ah! And I almost forgot. Vuelve's Puss in Boots is adorable!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rose-DNA.jpg (13.2 KB, 344 views)

Last edited by Diamond18; 06-18-2004 at 11:48 AM.
Diamond18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 02:04 PM   #518
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Pipe

I preferred Daffy
Old 06-18-2004, 02:39 PM   #519
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Another vote for Daffy.
Old 06-18-2004, 05:26 PM   #520
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Barrow-Wight

It's Opus the Penguin from Bloom County. From top to bottom: Little eyes, big nose, flightless wing, funny feet.

Ha, Ha. My friend Megan Le BOOGERBEANS always gives me a bloom county birthday card every year... I never grow tired of them. Yes, i can agree. Half of the Hulk's face... to some extent.
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote