The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 03:39 AM   #161
ainalanthirwen

Sting

hey guys..<BR>well..i know i'm new..but i'd like to comment on elves-are-so-perfect thing too..can't seem to fan off the desire..i agree with himaran about why legolas didn't get hurt easily..he got to maintain a certain distance with his enemy!and a very far distance at that..he's a great archer!<P>and on the never-ran-out-of-arrows thing..he's an elf..of course there's some mystical powers involved..why do you think elves use bows and arrows?remember the batallion?because they know they will never ran out of arrows..so there!

Old 02-05-2003, 05:10 AM   #162
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
1420!

I know Elves are all special in Middle Earth and all, but I don't think they have control over PHYSICS. <P>Arrows don't kill and then return to the archer. It doesn't happen in the books and THANK GOODNESS it don't happen in the films.<P>Did anyone else see that the Elves in the Helm's Deep Battle had like 5 arrows, each? And that their swords were curved and narrow, and other elven-made blades (like Sting and Glamdring) tapered off in a leaf-design? hmmmm....<P>And Legolas' arrows in the films were CGI. I'm a big fan of Legolas, but I'm not one to call him almighty or all-powerful. Yea, he's great in the movies. Yea, he's great in the books. BUT Orly's good looks do NOT MAKE HIM the mighty warrior that Tolkien's words did. So to all those who say that he's a master archer and all that - the arrows that he shot were CGI.<P>I'd like that Legolas' credentials were admired more than his looks. Or that cool thing he does on the horse in TTT.<p>[ February 05, 2003: Message edited by: Pookabunny ]
Old 02-05-2003, 05:48 AM   #163
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I prefer the evil (well for Elves), kick *** Elves, like Feanor. The Noldor ruled. A perfect example of 'perfect Elves' were the Vanyar, who were boring. Very boring.

"Life is so beautiful"-&gt;Don Vito Corleone
Old 02-05-2003, 12:54 PM   #164
helkahothion

Eye

I agree Pookabunny,<P>I admire him for his battle skill's. I always had a thing with bow and arrows. If you continue this, than you can start calling Robin Hood stupid aswell if you get me. Legolas is just a wonderful character and the looks are just an extra. Altough Viggo issn't ugly asswel. I like the ruggy outdoorsy type.<P>Greetings,<P>Anuion

Old 02-05-2003, 12:58 PM   #165
helkahothion

Eye

Oops forgot some thing,<P>Dear ainalanthirwen:<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> well..i know i'm new..but i'd like to comment on elves-are-so-perfect thing too..can't seem to fan off the desire.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>What does that matter my child? It's not that you have to stay at the novices and newcomers until you are a wight or something. Feel free to enter anywhere. Just remember that your opinion counts, as long as it is based on something. Unless your on the Middle-Earth mayhem tread ofcaurse .<P>Greetings,<P>Anuion

Old 02-05-2003, 01:33 PM   #166
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that the main problem is that the movie Legolas is so much unlike the book Legolas. What do you guys think?
Old 02-05-2003, 01:43 PM   #167
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

We really didn't get to know book Legolas very much. I prefer the book one anyway.

"Life is so beautiful"-&gt;Don Vito Corleone
Old 02-14-2003, 11:15 AM   #168
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Eye

Just to clear up the arrow thing,<BR> <BR>Look in the boat. Legolas carries extra's<P>Greetings,<P>Anuion
Old 02-14-2003, 11:53 AM   #169
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Ah, so thats how he did it! Tricksy elf!<P>*goes away and hisses quietly for a while*
Old 02-14-2003, 12:24 PM   #170
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Great picture! But he wasn't carrying all those arrows on the race across Rohan or when he came to Edoras. It would have been cool if he had been given some kind of device for carrying them.
Old 02-14-2003, 12:25 PM   #171
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Bring back Bill the Pony!
Old 02-15-2003, 12:27 PM   #172
Dain
Wight

Dain has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Here's my question: if Legolas is such a great fighter (and he is, but even more so in the movie than the book), and if most elves are as amazing as him (as Anuion says, and probably rightly so) then why didn't the addition of those Lorien elves to the battle at Helm's Deep make those 10,000 orcs run away in fear. I mean, I think it would have, but for some reason, every elf bar Legolas and the rest of the talking ones is a silent, stare-straight-ahead robot! Even I think that's a bit unfair, and I'm a dwarf...
Old 02-15-2003, 12:33 PM   #173
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I think that the fact that they are so robotic is what makes them so scary. Perhaps Peter Jackson wanted the audience to see how dangerous and scary they really were, rather than the ultimate peace loving mystical beings that we see in FOTR.<P>However, i to have a bone to pick with the elves at Helms Deep. How come none of them ride out to meet the orcs? Are they to damn scardy cat? Or are we supposed to believe that every elf but Legolas died?
Old 02-15-2003, 12:40 PM   #174
Calliope and Linus S. Underhill.
Pile O'Bones

Calliope and Linus S. Underhill. has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm almost positive that all he carried around is hair-care products the movie Legolas is way too cool and sarcastic, I like the book's girly Legolas better. because he's more girly. Sam's not girly enough in the movie, either.<P>I prefer hobbits. I'm the only girl on the planet who thinks hairy hobit feet are ADORABLE! My heart races just thinking about them. I was very disappointed when the feet weren't hairy enough. Say, do you think hairy feet make male hobbits feel more masculine? I can imagine female hobbits looking at the guy's feet and going, "Ooh, I want a piece of that!" And hobbits in their tweens making fun of others but saying their feet aren't hairy enough. But maybe I'm just a psycho. Hee hee! Wait, this is a Legolas board, huh? Whoops. *thinks about hairy feet anyway*<p>[ February 15, 2003: Message edited by: Calliope and Linus S. Underhill. ]
Old 02-15-2003, 12:45 PM   #175
Hirilaelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Hirilaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

WHAT DO YOU <B>MEAN</B>? Well, in my opinion, Legolas in the movie is quite good, he should not be girly. And Sam was perfect. Hmph. *goes away muttering*<P>Hiri
Old 02-15-2003, 02:21 PM   #176
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

He is not 'girly', he is effeminate... <P><B>Elanor</B> - the elves did not bring any horses with them.
Old 02-15-2003, 03:08 PM   #177
Dain
Wight

Dain has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>How come none of them ride out to meet the orcs? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>They seemed to be all dead at that point. Robotic and incompetant--see what I mean?
Old 08-12-2003, 02:45 PM   #178
Arwen Evenstar

Arwen Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen Evenstar Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Evenstar
Eye

Come on you guys, leave the poor guy alone.(Though Aragorn is my favorite Legolas comes 3rd, after Sam.) But I guess I agree. Sometimes you just want him to do something stupid.
Closed Thread