The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 07:05 PM   #41
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Welcome to the Barrow-Downs, Newcomers all. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

If you think that you might enjoy testing your Tolkien knowledge by answering riddles, cryptic posers or straight trivia questions, or finding quotes from the books and the films, come on down to the Quiz Room and Quotable Quotes forums. We have threads to cater for all quiz-minded Tolkien enthusiasts. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Just read the Quiz Room rules, find a thread you like the look of and try answering a question. On most threads, if you are correct you get to set the next one. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2003, 10:40 AM   #42
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hey, welcome, Maikaurwen (he he, like your nick! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Have a good time here!!

Crickhollow
Old 06-22-2003, 01:30 AM   #43
celeborn

Sting

hello

im celeborn and im new here so could u ppl tel me abit about barowdowns????

Old 06-22-2003, 06:48 AM   #44
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Hi!

I'm Cami Goodchild, one of the moderators in the Shire, which is our beginning RPG foum. Feel free to come down in character and introduce yourself in the Green Dragon Inn and take a look at our RPGs.

You'll also want to have a look at the policies and FAQs that appear at the very beginning of Novices and Newcomers. For those of us who love Tolkien, we consider this a spcial site. Have fun, but please try to follow the general rules. That means no chat expressions. Take care with your writing. Use the preview button and look over your post before you submit it to make sure that the spelling and grammar is the best you can do.

Also become familiar with the search key which is in the top right hand corner of the page. You can use that to find tons of information on topics that interest you. Also, that way you won't be posting a duplicate thread on something that's already been discussed twenty times before. Feel free to pull up old threads and join in the conversation.

Cami Goodchild, Shire Mod
Old 06-22-2003, 10:24 AM   #45
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Good day to you, celeborn and all other new members! Welcome to the Barrow Downs. This is a forum where Tolkien fans and fanatics can come together to discuss his works. We also tend to form great friendships and cultivate respect for each other and our views.
Try to post well and in standard English(although mistakes are fine if English is not your first language!), not 'chat-speak.' Also, use the search function to research topics of interest to you or before you post a new topic, so that we don't have redundant threads that are shut down. Read the forum rules at the top of each forum before you post as well.
One final word- RESPECT! We all come from different areas, different backgrounds and religions, and different world-views. Surprisingly and wonderfully, we get along very well together because we respect the fact that every one has their own opinion and we remember that being unique is beautiful. Our tapestry of people here is a lovely unity because all 'threads' are different. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] If you disagree with another person, do so with tact and kindness. So don't be afraid to voice your opinion, but respect others' rights to do so as well.
If you have any further questions, feel free to PM(private message) me or any other members. We are more than happy to help you out! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Peace

[ June 22, 2003: Message edited by: Yavanna228 ]
Old 06-22-2003, 10:32 AM   #46
Ufdúl The DEathskull

Shield

I am New to this part of Middle Earth as i have just come out the Misty mountains is this the limit to what we can do or is there competitions and stuff? Does anybody know?

Old 06-22-2003, 01:41 PM   #47
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Ufdul,
Could you clarify a bit about what you mean by 'competitions and stuff'? Thanks.
Peace
Old 06-22-2003, 05:34 PM   #48
Olorin
Wight

Olorin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Olorin
Pipe

Welcome to the Downs Ufdúl The DEathskull! Here at the Barrow Downs, we pretty much just discuss anything Tolkien related and roleplay. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "competitions," but if it's something fun, maybe you could start it here.

Once again, welcome and enjoy being dead. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2003, 01:09 PM   #49
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alatariel Telemnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alatariel Telemnar
Ufdúl, Celeborn, Maikaurwen, welcome to the 'Downs, I hope you enjoy it here... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

'Poor ye. Ye're tied to someone who's been photographed trying to shave their hand... My condolences.'
Old 06-23-2003, 07:36 PM   #50
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Silmaril

Hi am a new here and I don't have much to say at the moment. Just one question: Where do you request custom titles aka member status? I will probably find it on my own before someone replies but I should be filled in anyway just in case. [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Old 06-23-2003, 07:42 PM   #51
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Silmiel, welcome to the 'Downs, I hope you enjoy it here. As for your question, do you mean such as Newly Deceased? If so, everyone on the 'Downs is dead, and the more you post the higher your rank gets.

'Poor ye. Ye're tied to someone who's been photographed trying to shave their hand... My condolences.'
Old 06-23-2003, 08:38 PM   #52
The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Shield

Aaye Middle-Earthers,

A friend of mine told me about this message board, and I decided to sign up for it since I'll be beginning my quest to read the entire LotR trilogy shortly--I've been meaning to do it for years, ever since I read the Hobbit, but things have kept coming up, and I was having trouble finding the books for a price I felt was decent (I never borrow books from the library or anything, I always like to own them). Anyway, I'm currently reading the 5th Harry Potter book because I figure that's a nice short, 1-3 day read, but IMMEDIATELY after that I'll be starting LotR and then I'll probably be posting more in order to ask questions about things I've forgotten from the Hobbit or things I don't understand as well from the books. Namarie.

-Veherulion

Old 06-24-2003, 04:58 PM   #53
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Veherulion, welcome to the 'Downs! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-24-2003, 06:01 PM   #54
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

Ah I get it Alatariel. Never seen anything like this ranking system before because I traveled here from the EZBoards. Thanks! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Old 06-24-2003, 06:10 PM   #55
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

No problem, glad to help... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 06-24-2003, 06:36 PM   #56
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
One final word- RESPECT! We all come from different areas, different backgrounds and religions, and different world-views. Surprisingly and wonderfully, we get along very well together because we respect the fact that every one has their own opinion and we remember that being unique is beautiful. Our tapestry of people here is a lovely unity because all 'threads' are different.
How very well worded Yavanna, that is a wonderful way to put how we interact at this forum. We have people from all over the world here, which to me is quite amazing.

Welcome to the Downs Everyone!
remember to read the FAQ at the beginning of the Novices and Newcomers forum [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
And remember always keep on the topic of Tolkien, that is very important.
Old 06-26-2003, 12:19 PM   #57
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
Sting

Have fun beung dead you all.

And yes sometimes we peve each other off, but ,most of us understand that we are not all the same. I have seen a few people chastised for insulting others, (either that or bad spelling);those insults were degrading. One that I saw was saying how stupid a particular thread was, and was not to kind to the poster..... that was not cool.

The best advise I can give is to look at an argument from all sides, and not flame people. And whaterver you do do not change yourself(just because you hate Harry Potter) or you veiws just because you think someone got hurt over it.

Some of the Mods are great, others I don't agree with, but I like to treat them with the same way as my instructors. I give them what they want. So if you stay on topic, don't insult people and say intelagent things you will do fine.

Oh yes and if you can't spell, like me, start to use word, word perfect, or any other program with a spell checker. This works for most of the time , but not always.
Old 06-26-2003, 01:05 PM   #58
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hi dancing spawn of ungoliant, Mariska Greenleaf, Finrod Edennil, Maikadurwen, Olorin, celeborn, Ufdúl The DEathskull, Silmiel of Imladris, and The Sorcerer's Apprentice! Welcome to the downs! Saesa omentien lle! Pleasure meeting you!
Old 06-27-2003, 05:31 PM   #59
Man from Westernesse

Sting

Greetings to all my fellow undead! Long-time reader, first-time poster here. Was recently inspired to sign up and join the ranks. There is so much to read here, which is good as that's what I like to do. But I hope to join in on some good Tolkien discussions in the future. I first read the LotR in the early-mid 80's and since the movies came out I've re-read them once already and am currently at the end of TT, having just finished the chapter, "Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbits." I guess while I'm at it, I'll confess that I've yet to read the Silmarillion. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Soon though! Anyway, it's nice to meet you all and here's to a future of sharing.

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
MfW

Old 06-27-2003, 09:13 PM   #60
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Man from Westernesse, welcome to the 'Downs. Hope you enjoy it here. I have not read the Silm. yet either, but I hope to get to it soon. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 06-27-2003, 09:16 PM   #61
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

To all who have not yet read the Silm- it is very well worth it. A wealth of information not to be missed! I know the Ainulindale is a bit hard for some people to get through, but persevere! You shall be well rewarded with a deeper well of knowledge and a better understanding of the history of M-E and the elves in particular. You will also be able to post in a more informed way on certain topics. So, go at it, my friends! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Peace

*Edit: Yay! The 228th post for me! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ June 27, 2003: Message edited by: Yavanna228 ]
Old 06-29-2003, 04:46 AM   #62
Tinuviel the Nightingale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tinuviel the Nightingale has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hello and welcome to all newcomers. I hope you enjoy your time here and have fun. I love this forum and think it's the best out of several Tolkien-related Discussion Boards.
I was absent for a while for unexplainable reasons, but I shall post every night from now on to catch up! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2003, 06:28 AM   #63
Marroc Underhill
Haunting Spirit

Marroc Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Greetings, I'm Drogo Underhill. I'm new here.
This place is very interesting.
Old 06-29-2003, 11:33 AM   #64
Olorin
Wight

Olorin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Olorin
White-Hand

Welcome Drogo! I hope you enjoy your stay at the Downs. We're a pretty friendly bunch. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Anyway, it's nice meeting you and enjoy being dead! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2003, 08:17 PM   #65
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Welcome to the 'downs Drogo! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 06-29-2003, 08:24 PM   #66
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am a bit of a newcomer here myself. I first joined in the beginning of June, but it has only been in the last few days that I have begun to actively discuss JRR Tolkien's works on the forums here. I am a Tolkien fan of old, and have written and read a great deal about the Professor and his works.
Old 06-29-2003, 08:34 PM   #67
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Welcome to you, Lord of Angmar. I suppose it really should be 'Welcome again.' [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Seeing your posts and your topics, I think you shall fit in well here. How wonderful to have a 'newbie' that is not really a newbie. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Just remember to read fora guidlines, use the search function, read through archives, and enjoy your posting! I have a larger welcoming post for anyone further up the thread, so read that as well, if you wish. Many greetings, and have fun!
Peace

[ June 29, 2003: Message edited by: Yavanna228 ]
Old 06-30-2003, 05:39 AM   #68
King_Elendil
Pile O'Bones

King_Elendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey there! I'm King_Elendil. Need I say who is among my favorite characters? I'm 16 years old and am an American living in the UK.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:45 AM   #69
Gorsereg

The Eye

Greetings all,
Just like to comment on the fabulous site & community that has been created here. It is quite the place for a Tolkien Fan!

ALso, for those that have heard of Lotr Plaza, I go by the same username there. If you have not, it's an outstanding site and I encourage you to check it out at www.lotrplaza.com

Old 06-30-2003, 11:49 AM   #70
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Gorsereg, King Elendil, Lord of Angmar, welcome to the 'downs... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 06-30-2003, 11:52 AM   #71
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElenCala Isil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Sting

Gorsereg, King Elendil, and Lord of Angmar, welcome to the Barrow-Downs!!! Hope ya enjoy being deceased...it's quite fun actually [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 06-30-2003, 01:38 PM   #72
King_Elendil
Pile O'Bones

King_Elendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That was quite interesting, but I've been dead for age or two of this world.
Old 07-01-2003, 05:54 AM   #73
*RohirrimGUY*

Ring

Hiya! I'm new! RohirrimGUY! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-01-2003, 09:16 AM   #74
King Latifah

Sting

Hey ya'll im new here. I'm a bog LotR fan. My ussername comes from my favorite celeb Queen Latifah!!!!!!!!!
(Rohirrim Guy.....Just got the link from Hobbiton)

Old 07-01-2003, 11:55 AM   #75
Lëowen
Haunting Spirit

Location: my computer chair, being smothered by my impossibly large cat
Lëowen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lëowen
Shield

Welcome to the 'Downs everyone! Remember to read the Forum rules and don't annoy the mods. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2003, 02:32 PM   #76
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hi Man from Westernesse (have fun reading!), Marroc Underhill, Lord of Angmar, King_Elendil, Gorsereg, *RohirrimGUY*, and King Latifah! Welcome to the downs! Post well! Saesa omentien lle
Old 07-02-2003, 11:40 AM   #77
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hey, hey Newbies!

Big welcome to you, King Latifah, Rohirrim Guy, Gorsereg, King Elendil, and Lord of Angmar!

I'm glad you guys have a passion for Lord of the Rings (don't we all [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img])

Have good, good times here! (you're in for a good, good time!)

Crickhollow
Old 07-03-2003, 01:56 AM   #78
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

King Latifah, love the name! That is so cool.
Welcome to the Downs [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2003, 10:14 PM   #79
Andwise

Sting

Howdy, just popping in and saying hi, I'm new here, and don't know anybody. But you never know. Anyways, this place sounds like fun. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-04-2003, 06:52 AM   #80
Linaewen

Sting

Hello everyone. I'm Linaewen- some people may know me from another messageboard. Barrow-downs seems like a lot of fun-I look forward to posting here! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Closed Thread