The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-18-2002, 05:01 PM   #121
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'm a female, 17.
Old 04-18-2002, 05:03 PM   #122
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Glad to see lots of women who're into Tolkien, like many before me on this thread I found I was alone in my taste for swords and stuff.
As this is a site for secrets I'm 30 and please don't beat me up teenage girls but I know Orlando Bloom's second cousin. (She's never met him but knows his Mum (her cousin) very well. At the risk of being beaten up by women my own age I've met Sean Bean too.
As for comics I always loved 'The Crow' ones but they can be difficult to get hold of in the UK.
I first got into 'the Hobbit' when I was 12 and worked my way from there due to the fact I had problems making friends because I lived somewhere remote. I have given away too many secrets haven't I? Before I get mobbed for Orli's address I don't know it and I'm not asking for it. That just wouldn't be the behaviour of a Barrowdowner now would it? I'm now going to get hate postings aren't I. Perhaps I should have kept my secrets to myself.
Old 04-18-2002, 05:21 PM   #123
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

Ah, don't be so hard on yourself Auriel. It's really cool to have connections with interesting people. I, myself, am a direct descendant of John Locke.
Old 04-18-2002, 06:38 PM   #124
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

Heh, I wouldn't beat you up, Auriel, particularly over something like that.
Somewhere on the 'Downs there's a post about my finding out that when he was a (well, more of a boy than he is, now), Elijah Wood lived across the street from a friend of my mother's here in my hometown. There's only one person here who knows my address, and she's married. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Quote:
Suddenly a low voice murmured:
"Gil-Galad was an elven-king.
Of him the harpers sadly sing:
the last whose realm was fair and free
between the Mountains and the Sea.

His sword was long, his lance was keen,
his shining helm afar was seen;
the countless stars of Heaven's feild
were mirrored in his silver shield..

But long ago he rode away
and where he dwelleth none can say
for into darkness fell his star
in Mordor where the shadows are. "

The others turned in amazement, for the voice was Sam's.
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 08:15 PM   #125
Bragolandune
Animated Skeleton

Bragolandune has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Bragolandune
Sting

I'm a female, age 16. i first got interested in lord of the rings when my teacher assigned the hobbit to read and do projects on. i read the whole book in about 2 days and read the lord of the rings right after..while my classmates were still struggling through the first few chapters of the hobbit. its great to know theres so many people out there who love the books as much as i do! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-18-2002, 09:51 PM   #126
Belegfanaion
Animated Skeleton

Belegfanaion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Belegfanaion
Sting

Let me just say: LORD OF THE RINGS RULES, AND ANYONE WHO IS A FAN RULES TOO! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
As Frodo did so, he now saw fine lines, finer than the finest pen-strokes, running along the ring, outside and inside: lines of fire that seemed to form the letters of a flowing script. They shone piercingly bright, and yet remote, as if out of a great depth.
'I cannot read the fiery letters,' said Frodo in a quavering voice.
'No,' said Gandalf, 'but I can. The letters are Elvish, of an ancient mode, but the language is that of Mordor, which I will not utter here. But this in the Common Tongue is what is said, close enough:
One Ring to Bring them all and in the darkness bind them.'"
Belegfanaion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 10:32 PM   #127
LeGoLaSz gUrL
Animated Skeleton

LeGoLaSz gUrL has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to LeGoLaSz gUrL
Eye

Let's see, i am an elf, and i am 14 yrs old!! I am a gurl!! Can't ya tell??? LOl
Anybody from CA?
LeGoLaSz gUrL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 03:10 PM   #128
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

Thanks to Susan and Samwise for not beating me up. My sword skills are limited and I don't know if I could defend myself in the way my Middle Earth imagination says I could when really pushed. I am a fan of Tolkien first and movies second to add a bit more detail about me.
Interesting observation about the demographic of this branch of the forum. It's very expansive in both sexes and ages. Not what I expected. I'll shut up again. I do go on, sorry.
Old 04-19-2002, 07:47 PM   #129
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

LOL, Auriel, not a problem.
And please, don't hush--talking a lot is a good thing on this board--'If you take my meaning'....
Quote:
"Yes, sir!" said Sam. "Begging your pardon, sir! But I meant no wrong to you, Mr. Frodo, nor to Mr. Gandalf. He has some sense, and when you said go alone, he said no! take someone as you can trust. "
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 04-20-2002, 10:48 AM   #130
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

Hey Auriel! That is so cool actually being connected (not necessarily related, though)to Orli! And don't worry about being beaten up. From the following posts, you are actually appreciated.
The Downs really appreciates you sharing!

I'm actually reading The Hobbit right now, and I am actually finding myself to be a lazy Hobbit, rather than a distinguished elf. Well, c'est la vie! (not sure if I got it right...my french is kinda rusty nowadays)
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 01:31 PM   #131
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

LeGoLaSz gUrL, I'm in CA!
Quote:
"But I am going to Mordor."
"I know that well enough, Mr. Frodo. Of course you are. And I'm coming with you. "
Old 04-20-2002, 01:53 PM   #132
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

I used to live in California. I moved back to Washington 2 years ago. I'm happier in Wa. Ca was too hot for me.
Old 04-20-2002, 01:58 PM   #133
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Rae, whereabouts are you in Washington? (I'm asking because I have a couple of friends from Port Angeles and Seattle, respectively). I've never been west of Des Moines myself (though to be fair I have been very far east, namely Siberia) but hey, maybe one of these days [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]...
Old 04-20-2002, 02:01 PM   #134
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

I live in Port Orchard and occasionally visit both Port Angeles and Seattle. In Fact My husband works in Seattle and I often go over with him just for fun.
Old 04-21-2002, 03:40 PM   #135
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

Thanks, Neferchairwen, (I hope I spelt that right) Thanks too to Samwise, I am actually quite infamous for being silent but for some unknown reason I just ramble on and on about everything to do with Tolkien on this site. If you think no one minds I'll just keep going.
Old 04-25-2002, 03:21 PM   #136
dragongirlG
Wight

dragongirlG has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Everyone here is older than me! A lot of the people here, anyway. I'm thirteen-year-old girl soon to be out of the 8th grade. I first read The Hobbit when I was 10 or 11 and read The Lord of the Rings this December while studying it in English. I live in Georgia of the United States and have a sister who is also a member of the Barrow-Downs. Shh, don't tell...it's Jessica Jade.

I love the 'Downs and the people here. Cheers to all!
dragongirlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 06:00 PM   #137
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Yay for sword play! I learned a little of that myself (though what I learned is stage combat, so I couldn't really battle someone without a lot of practice).
It's a lot of fun. We would create scenes in our classes and put the fighting too it. My friend and I created a Three Musketeer's scene. I miss sword play.

On another note... Child of the 7th Age: It sounds like you hung out with the right crowd. Heck, I would where a "Gandalf for President" button today. People already look at me weird, why not?
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 11:49 PM   #138
Aosama, the Wandering Star
Wight

Aosama, the Wandering Star has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Female, almost 14. Discovered Tolkien at 10 (the Hobbit). Rediscovered him this January (LOTR). Everyone is so much older than me! But I'm used to it. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Aosama, the Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 01:24 AM   #139
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

Well, at least most of you discovered Tolkien at a young age. I'm technically 21, and I just began reading Tolkien just last December!
How young could I be?
But hey, I'm happy.
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 11:56 AM   #140
Primula Gamgee

Silmaril

I am seem to be the youngest here yet i haven't read all the posts yet. my name is marissa i live in ma and i am 13 yrs. old. i have seen the movie a few times and i have finished the book series.
sincerely,
marissa (13/f/ma) [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2002, 01:41 PM   #141
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i got you beat, male, 12... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2002, 04:02 PM   #142
TheWindsorStar
Pile O'Bones

TheWindsorStar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wow, I feel so young now! I'm almost reluctent to reveal my age! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I'm a 14 year old female, but I feel older, and I like to think I act older too. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2002, 10:02 AM   #143
Lady Death
Pile O'Bones

Lady Death has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hi, I am 17 year old girl and I recently saw the movie. It was cool. I have to find the books though.
Mankind's worst nightmare in the form of it's sweetest dream, Lady Death, is ever a woman of contradictions- and with good reason for the blood of both angels and demons flows through her veins. The life of the woman who would become known as Death began as a young girl named Hope in Medieval Europe. Hope was the daughter of Matthias, a 666th generation descendant of the fallen angels, and Marion, a woman so pure her bloodline reached to Heaven
Lady Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 03:47 PM   #144
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hey people, what's up! I feel reluctant to say my age also, but I'm female (I hope you all got that idea by some of the posts I post up. I would hate to think of a guy drooling over Billy Boyd!) and I'm....ok just let me say, I AM gonna get him ok, even if I am almost 15. Hey, I'm ALMOST 15!! Yeah, not old at all and Bily is....eh, could say um, a few years older than me....but I got back up people if I don't get Billy. But I'm sure you all don't wanna hear about which guys I'm in love with! Yeah, don't respond to that I don't like when people make me feel bad and say mean stuff... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
But, ok let's see what else......ummmmm, everyone knows what I like and you can't say you don't! Practically every other post I write has my favorite guy, band, blah blah blah. But if anyone would like to know, I'd be more than happy to post it!!!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Anyone........anyone at all? No...ok [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
lol, talk to you all later [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 03:57 PM   #145
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

I don't know why everyone is reluctant to say their age. Someday I'm gonna post my picture and then we'll see if you all believe me.
Old 05-28-2002, 09:03 PM   #146
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Quote:
Hi, I am 17 year old girl and I recently saw the movie. It was cool. I have to find the books though.
Hullo an' welcome, yer ladyship.

BTW, for Miss Rae's sake--I've said it before and I'll say it again--I'm 31, [b]I'm 31,[B] I'm 31, I'm 31!!
Quote:
"The log's all right," said Frodo. "There are plenty of them in the River. But leave out the eyes! "
"That I won't." said Sam. "'Twas the eyes as made me sit up, so to speak. "
Old 05-28-2002, 09:31 PM   #147
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Ok, I'll restate again because it's been a while;

Female,36, Auburn hair, brown eyes,mother of 3, Married 17 years.
Old 05-29-2002, 08:07 AM   #148
The-Elf-Herself
Haunting Spirit

The-Elf-Herself has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm an elven scout out of Imladris and my age is 1,500-ooops sorry. That's part of my elvish persona. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I'm actually um, well let's just say that I could pass for a college student, but I'm a bit younger(can't reveal my actual age, parent thing). [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Judging by my appearance, I'm definitely an elf(at least online), and I'm busy working on my costume for TTT premiere! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Oh, and I read the LOTR trilogy right before the movie came out, followed by the Silmarillion , and the Hobbit.

[ May 30, 2002: Message edited by: The-Elf-Herself ]
Old 05-29-2002, 09:20 AM   #149
orlandoandsaran
Haunting Spirit

orlandoandsaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to orlandoandsaran
Shield

I'm female. 14 years old.
I live in Malaysia. It's hot here!
Auriel...we won't beat you up! Pretty cool that you're related to Orli!
Old 05-29-2002, 02:34 PM   #150
gollum*elf*pup
Shade of Carn Dûm

gollum*elf*pup has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i'm happy today. ha ha. i'm a female elven dog. i'm . . .wait a sec how old am i? well, in real life i think i'm 14, but i'm not sure. i live in a bottomless pit, at the very bottom.
Old 05-29-2002, 03:37 PM   #151
Arod
Animated Skeleton

Arod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arod Send a message via Yahoo to Arod
Sting

Female... 29... will be 30 in September. Will be completely unconscious for most of that day... will start with Irish Coffee in the morning and work up to shots by noon... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Started reading Tolkien in January 2002. Yeah I'm wet behind the ears... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-29-2002, 03:51 PM   #152
Jessica Jade
Wight

Jessica Jade has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jessica Jade
Sting

I'm female, age 16.

The musicians had indeed laid bare the youngest, most innocent of our ideas of life, the indestructible yearning for the way things aren't and can never be. ~ Philip Roth, The Human Stain
Jessica Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 04:36 PM   #153
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'd like to remind people that when they post it would be nice if they added when they first read the books, and what they liked best about it.

thanks,
-Elven-Maiden

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 05:30 PM   #154
Luinsewiel
Haunting Spirit

Location: The Great Grey-Green Greasy Limpopo River, All Set About With Fever Trees
Luinsewiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Luinsewiel Send a message via AIM to Luinsewiel
Sting

I am fourteen, and a girl and I first read the hobbit when I was.... um let me think...7,8 or 9 my Dad read it to me untill mirkwood forest and then said it was too scary so I promtly stole it and read the rest [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] and I am from Imladris or Canada or a little tiny island where everybpdy is related to everbody else (except for me [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] )or my personal favorite atleast 20 meters away at all times and I like to draw. Wow that must have been the longest run on sentence in the history of sentences. if my english teacher saw it she'd probably go into shock [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
edited because I forgot a period, lol

[ May 29, 2002: Message edited by: Luinsewiel ]
Old 05-29-2002, 07:36 PM   #155
dragongirlG
Wight

dragongirlG has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Okay, I'll restate...female, age 13. I'm from the Southeast coast of the US. Discovered Tolkien when I was 10 by reading The Hobbit, age 13 in December read LOTR for English class. I liked so much about the book, but my favorite theme (currently) is the power of the small and weak, of the pure of heart, against the powerful hearts/minds of the wise.

[ May 29, 2002: Message edited by: dragongirlG ]

[ May 30, 2002: Message edited by: dragongirlG ]
dragongirlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 06:01 AM   #156
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i shall also restate 15 f read em when i was 13-14? i'm from Aus/US/Iceland (but me blood says tongan icelandic faraoese(spl?)) its cold ecxept in the summer then it's delicious [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] (spl?) i liked the books because the stronger or more powerful characters had to rely on some unexpected and sometimes weaker person(s) to fulfill their mission. examples
everyone-frodo
frodo- gollum (though he was not neccesarily weaker)
all the smarty pants's in the high councly thing had to depend on the nine walkers.
Old 05-30-2002, 09:06 AM   #157
Elizabeth

Silmaril

I am female and 41. But I agree with the one who said that age is not important here though we are always curious about it. I must say that I was happy to find others around my age. And, yes, Tolkien is what we have in commom, first of all. I am sorry I was introduced to his wonderful world only this year. On the other hand I think there is the right time for everything. Now I know Middle-earth. That's what matters mailto:dalmata92@hotmail.comdalmata92@hotmail.com</A>
Old 05-30-2002, 09:28 AM   #158
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

Thankyou Orlandosaran, it makes me a very reliable source of information but I live in fear of my life.
Old 05-30-2002, 10:17 AM   #159
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Welcome, Angoriel, Mae Govannen(Well met).
Glad you discovered Tolkien. No one is to old to enjoy it. Are you a mother? There aren't very many of us on the site, but everyone treats us like queens.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Anyone who knows the answer will likely enjoy the chance to show off his extensive knowledge
[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2002, 11:49 AM   #160
Astaldotathrawen
Pile O'Bones

Location: Mordor and Lorien, through Rivendell and Hobbiton and beyond!
Astaldotathrawen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Well, I am definitly not a mother, {not even close,} but anyway. I am a she-elf in middle earth, (not quite sure what age i would be, havn't figured that out yet.) But on earth, I am a 15 year old female.

The Mountain is strong,
The River is steady,
But in the fierce winds,
The Willow shall stand forever.
---Astaldotathrawen (Valiant Woman of the Willow Peak)

Quote:
"We hobbits ought to stick together, and we will. I shall go, unless they chain me up. There must be someone with intelligence in the Party."
---Peregrin "Pippen" Took
[ May 30, 2002: Message edited by: Astaldotathrawen ]