The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2015, 03:01 PM   #41
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Lalia was so morbidly fat,
In a wheeled chair she sat.
But Bombur was so large
He was carried in a barge,
Lifted by ten dwarves at that!
Old 05-17-2015, 03:43 PM   #42
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Good-natured debate
continued til late
O'er Hobbit and Dwarven largeness,
Then Forlong stepped in,
And grinning a grin,
Said '"The Fat" is how I'm addressed!'
Old 05-17-2015, 03:55 PM   #43
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
As both fatties munched on their bread,
The gossip of their sizes has spread.
Within sixteen lines, the tales grew bigger,
And the rumours soon grew larger than either!
So hold your horses and steady your ships -
Bombur needed not ten Dwarves, only six.

(Edit: x'ed with Inzil)
Old 05-17-2015, 04:41 PM   #44
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
'I'm Freca, I'm bigger!'
Said a spectral, pale figure
Whose lungs exuded no breath.
'I once knew a man
Named Helm Hammerhand
Who'd insult us and punch us to death!'
Old 05-18-2015, 06:20 AM   #45
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thumbs up Both obese

I agree with you, Morthoron, that both Lalia and Bombur could be considered, by the standards of their respective races, as obese. I keep thinking about certain TV shows about very fat people, and that this hobbit and this dwarf might be very suitable candidates.

You made a very good point earlier, Mithalwen:

Yes but as we all know it is easier to push something on wheels rather than to carry it which is why airports are thick with wheelycases and the mini trolleys so popular at supermarkets. Odd as a side note that the hobbits had wheelchairs at their disposal while dwarves who I would have thought were relatively technically advanced seem to have moved Bombur on a litter. Also events seem to indicate that one young, female hobbit was not up to the task. Nevertheless for reasons previously stated I concur that Bombur was likely bigger.

It appears, according to Tolkien's Middle-earth, that the hobbits of the Shire are the most technically advanced people, having discovered the aneroid barometer, something we in this time line only did in the mid 19th century.

Even if dwarves were able to construct a wheelchair for Bombur, would it have been capable of operation by one dwarf, or more than one? If the latter case, then Bombur was certainly larger.

In terms of whether one young female hobbit was up to moving Lalia about, the circumstances of the latter's fatal accident do not indicate that there was any particular underlying problem. Indeed, I suggested (tongue in cheek) that the circumstances could indicate that Lalia was deliberately murdered.
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote