The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Admin Thread - WW C - The Father Christmas Murders

A long, long time ago, Father Christmas founded a lovely little town amongst some lovely little mountains covered in lovely little snow and lovely little Christmas trees, where all the Christmasy people live.

The Grinch hates Christmas again, and has ever since Santa Claus built his new factory right above the Grinch's cave. (Santa is a noisy neighbor at the best of times, but around Christmas time, the noise gets unbearable.) Tiny Tim lives in poverty next to Rudolph's party house. Suzy Snowflake and Jack Frost do a lot of traveling, but it's been a warm winter, so they've been at home more often than usual. Olive the Other Reindeer recently moved in with Frosty the Snowman after they discovered a mutual love of french toast. Little Cindy Lou Who is, by this point, significantly more than two, and started up a Christmas-card making business with the Sugar Plum Fairy. The Ghost of Christmas Present hovers around everything making vaguely ominous announcements that everyone has learned to ignore.

And on a mountain overlooking it all, Father Christmas sits with the North Polar Bear and watches the lovely little community. Paksu and Valkotukka, as grown-up as Little Cindy Lou Who, live down in the little town. Father Christmas and the North Polar Bear like to check up every once and a while, but they don't like to interfere. All bear cubs need to grow up sometimes.

But just because Paksu and Valkotukka don't want to be babied any more, doesn't mean Father Christmas and the North Polar Bear have left them unprotected.

Roles:

One Seer, who writes letters back and forth with Father Christmas about other player's alignments. (PMs me a name every Night and is told the role of that person.)

One Ranger, who keeps watch while the rest of the town sleeps and protects its inhabitants. (PMs me a name every Night and, if the wolves have selected that person to kill, blocks the kill. Cannot self-protect. Cannot protect the same person twice in a row.)

Two Wolves, who hate Christmas, the whole Christmas season. (The Grinch is not necessarily a wolf. The line was just too perfect not to use.) (Send me a name every Night to kill. Can pm during the Night period.)

One Cobbler, who doesn't know who the wolves are, but supports them in his own little way. (Wants the wolves to win. Cannot pm with the wolves.)

Seven or Eight Ordos, who don't want to die at the hands of the Wolves. (Vote every Day to lynch [hopefully] a wolf.)

Twelve or Thirteen Players in all.

Rules:

Rules:
Deadline will be negotiable, for now. I'm thinking 11:00 PM EST, but I could be persuaded to go earlier or later.

Votes are highlighted (++Lottie) and non-retractable. If a vote is cast at :00, they are counted. If they are cast at :01, they are not.

Day and Night last for 24 hours each.

A person will be modfired if they do not vote for two consecutive days without a very good excuse.

In case of a tie, the last person to receive their full total of votes will be lynched.

When you sign-up, you will choose one of the characters I mentioned above (not Father Christmas or the North Polar Bear, though). This will determine your in-game role. I've done this before, and I quite liked it.

We'll start as soon as we get about twelve players (assuming this happens after Wednesday. I'm sure it'll take at least that long, though).

Sign-ups are closed!

Sally - Little Cindy Lou Who
Shasta - Jack Frost
G55 - Rudolph
Coppermirror - The Ghost of Christmas Present
Steve - Valkotukka
Morsul - The Grinch
Nerwen - The Sugar Plum Fairy
Zil - Frosty
Boro - Olive the Other Reindeer
McCaber - Tiny Tim
Lommy - Paksu
Legate - Santa Claus

Last edited by Loslote; 12-20-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Loslote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Ugh, how am I supposed to pick a role? My life is so difficult.

I'm in, obviously.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
Pomegranate
Wight

Pomegranate is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Bwaa. I can't play 17th - 19th this month, I assume that this won't start early enough nor late enough for me to be in?
Old 12-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #4
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots Wow...

Game 100.

Just...wow.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #5
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I have faith in you, Sally!

Pom: Probably not. :/ We'll see, though!

Kuru: I know, right? I kept double-checking to make sure I didn't Roman Numerals wrong.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I'll play.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #7
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
Game 100.

Just...wow.
Seconded!

I don't think I can play in the next week or so. Too busy with school and such. I will play if we start when the winter break starts, though.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #8
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Shasta: Fantastic! Pick one of the characters I mentioned in the opening post - that'll be what determines your role.

G55: I'll put you down as a maybe - depending on how fast the game fills up, we might start that late.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #9
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
Shasta: Fantastic! Pick one of the characters I mentioned in the opening post - that'll be what determines your role.

G55: I'll put you down as a maybe - depending on how fast the game fills up, we might start that late.
Oh, Wilwa's done that before. I like roles done this way. I'll be Jack Frost.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:33 PM   #10
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dûm

Coppermirror is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I want to play!

For a role, I'd like The Ghost of Christmas Present. I don't know who a lot of the other characters are, like Olive or Cindy Lou or Suzy Snowflake, and I never saw the Frosty or Grinch canons, so the easiest should be the Ghost. Plus they get to make vague, ominous statements. What's not to like?
Coppermirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:08 AM   #11
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
It's game 100. I don't think I have a choice. I must play.

Last edited by Eönwë; 12-13-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:09 PM   #12
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I'd love to play, but my parents are visiting me the 20-26th, so I'm not sure I'll be available. If you somehow manage to get enough players to start in the next few days, or if signups are slow enough you don't start until the 26th or after, I'm in. But anytime between I won't be able to play.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #13
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Well, since the two roles I was most hoping for are gone, I'll take Valkotukka.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #14
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thumbs up

I`ll have a computer so I`m in. -Grinch
Old 12-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #15
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Put me down as a maybe, depends on start date.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #16
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
White Tree Role

Well, polar bears are brilliant, but I'm bang out of luck on that one. I like French toast rather a lot, but as there's no bacon included (reindeer jerky, anyone?), I do believe I'll pass on being either Olive or Frosty, and given that snack food comment, I should probably refrain from being Rudolph as well.

The Sugar Plum Fairy is tempting, but that may be a combination too sweet for anyone to handle, so perhaps not. Likewise, choosing Suzy Snowflake may prove too alliterative, and I do need to share Shasta from time to time.

Hmmmm. I don't fancy growing a beard, much less covering my entire body with fur, and I already play a cripple once a week at D&D, so that leaves....Who? Ah, yes. Cindy Lou.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:15 AM   #17
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Okay, sign me up.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #18
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I'm confirming (though I really shouldn't play until a week from now but whatever). I'll be Rudolph, if that's a role. Or anyone if it isn't.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #19
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I guess I can play. I'll be Frosty.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #20
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Rudolph is indeed a role! Good to have you, Nerwen and Zil.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:23 PM   #21
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I like french toast, so I'll be Olive the other Reindeer.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:23 PM   #22
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
Ok, I'm off of school for a month. I'm in.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #23
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Sign me in before I come into my senses and realise I don't have time!

I'll be happy to be Paksu since that's what the Finnish winter always makes me feel like...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #24
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Fantastic! Great to have you both on board.

We still have Suzy Snowflake, the Sugar Plum Fairy, Santa Claus, and Tiny Tim left to be chosen. As soon as we get one or two more players (and Nerwen and McCaber, you still have to chose roles), we can start!

Last edited by Loslote; 12-17-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Loslote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #25
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Okay, I can join in, I think. As long as I am not Santa Claus, I'm fine... (Though again, hmm, that one probably gets pretty good narration in case I am lynched... hey, I'll leave it up to what remains.)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #26
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Unfortunately I can't join, which is a shame because WW never seems to work with my schedule anymore. Best of luck to you villagers though!
Old 12-20-2012, 02:12 AM   #27
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Nerwen, McCaber, and Legate, if you'd pick a character, we can get started - your character determines your role, so we kind of need that to get going.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:18 AM   #28
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
All right, I'll be the Sugar-Plum Fairy. (I did do ballet once upon a time...)
Old 12-20-2012, 02:23 AM   #29
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
All right, I'll be the Sugar-Plum Fairy. (I did do ballet once upon a time...)
Excellent! Thanks.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:20 AM   #30
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Make me Santa Claus, then. It's at least one time in my life when I get fat.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 12-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #31
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
Tiny Tim for me. I'm perfect as the limping, pitiful waif no one suspects.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #32
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Brinn, I'm assuming you can't play after all. I'll send out PMs and we'll start with Night 1 in an hour and a half.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #33
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Just letting you guys know have a late wedding tonight early work in the mprning and a Christmas party tomorrow night not sure how much participatin I'll be able to muster...
Old 12-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #34
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
How are we doing Christmas? Normal length or prolonged Days/Nights? If we do normal length, I'm going to miss Day2 for sure (but I can live with that if I'm still alive har har bad pun).
Old 12-22-2012, 09:54 AM   #35
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Yep, I second that question. Because I was sort of surprised to see this game started right before Christmas, but I was sort of working under the assumption that it'd be the way it used to be some other times, that there will be break around 24th-26th or somesuch, and continuing after that. Because I honestly do not plan to be on the 'Downs during these days... (actually, I might have problems even during the 27th, but that's a different thing, I'll at least try to be around)
Old 12-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #36
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Some year we did prolonged Days and Nights. I think it would be feasible if Day 2 would be 48h long and maybe Night 3 too (but that's not so important).
Old 12-22-2012, 02:42 PM   #37
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
I was sort of working under the assumption that it'd be the way it used to be some other times, that there will be break around 24th-26th or somesuch, and continuing after that.
Yes, that was my assumption as well. I probably should have mentioned that earlier - I was planning to end with the lynch on the evening of the 24th and have a very long Night until the evening of the 26th, when Day 3 will start. Does that work for everyone? (Otherwise, we can have a very long Day 2 from the evening of the 23rd until the evening of the 26th.)
Old 12-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #38
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I think it would better for lng day that way everyone gets a chance to speak without worrying about their christmas plans.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #39
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I think the Long Night is better because if it's a long Day there's just more to read once you come back to the computer.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #40
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

There is no way for me I am even turning the computer on on the 24th. It's simply a sort of house-rule I have made for myself, at least one day per year fully and absolutely no-no to the computer, however nice it is. By my timezone, the DL is sometime around 4 AM anyway, so even if I, say, switched the computer on in the morning (which I still would have considered acceptable), I'd have to vote barely halfday through, and that's not even worth it. So I would actually vote for long Day. And even then I am not really promising any high activity. (So in fact, maybe it does not make so much of a difference whether it's a long Day or whether the Day is on the 24th already. You can just do it whichever way suits the majority of people and in the really worst case, I'd have a no-show and hope Day 2 won't have too many dramatic events which will require everyone's full participation.)