The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2004, 11:48 PM   #1
Dininziliel
Wight

Dininziliel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Have Elf, Will Travel

A bit of left over business from another thread left me wondering why Frodo was the one who carried the Ring to Mt. Doom. At first I thought it might be some unique link to Elves that qualified him to be the pivotal Ring Bearer in LotR. (Case in point--Frodo's dream of Aman his last morning at Tom's house.) Then it occurred to me that, no, Bilbo was considered odd by his fellow hobbits for his fascination & knowledge of all things elven; and honored by Elves for the same. Naturally, Sam then came to mind--he was famous for his passionate love of Elves. Aha! I thought--they were all Ring Bearers and were granted passage to Aman. Thus, if you were a hobbit and had a special penchant for Elves you got to travel with the Ring. (Gollum can be discounted because he didn't try to go anywhere w/the Ring when he had it for 500 years. Also, the Ring dumped Isildur the first chance it got.) I'm not sure Bilbo, Frodo, and Sam were all that much alike in temperament as just hobbits. To me, their elvishness explains how Bilbo, Frodo, and Sam (hobbit par excellence!) were set apart from their fellow hobbits--even Merry & Pippin. What remains unexplained is what the particular qualities are about both Elves & hobbits that produce Ring Bearers. Just what is it about being an Elf or hobbit by themselves that "disquaifies" one from being a Ring Bearer, but having a mixture of both makes it possible? I think we know about hobbits--down to earth, humble, not especially inclined toward personal power or wealth, etc. It is the elvish qualities that intrigue me most, and then how those qualities mingle with the hobbits'. I also wonder if Tolkien consciously crafted these three with this "prerequisite" while writing them.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:15 AM   #2
Hot, crispy nice hobbit
Wight

Hot, crispy nice hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
To begin with, I do not think that it is a question of character that "qualifies" or "disqualifies" a Ringbearer. Bilbo simply picked up the Ring and slipped it into his pocket. I don't suppose Prof T is justifying the "Finders, Keepers" maxim, but Bilbo never did have an opportunity to return the Ring to Gollum, (who did bloody murder for it, by the way) so I guess you can say that he is pretty much entitled to keep or "bear" the Ring. Subsequent transfer of the Ring from Bilbo to Frodo and then to Sam is perfectly justified.

If there is one quality that "qualifies" a Ring Bearer, I suppose it is the legal transaction by which the Ring is obtained. Taking one situation for example, during the Council of Elrond, Master Elrond placed the responsibility of destroying the Ring to Frodo. Is there really any other characters that can possibly contest that decision? Yes, Bilbo has borne the Ring before, and he had all the "Elvish cum Hobbit" quality aforementioned, he is also a more experienced adventurer. But Gandalf told him that the Ring has "passed on". With Sam, it is even more interesting, since Sam Gamgee loved Elves, but he would prefer his tatters and tomatoes to travelling with an Elf any day. Then again, one could hardly observe anything Elvish about Sam until his return to the Shire.

Besides, Frodo failed to destroy the Ring in the end, didn't he?

P.S. Yessss! My Finals are OVER! Back to La-La land!
Old 05-06-2004, 03:40 AM   #3
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Well, as Gandalf said, Bilbo was meant to find the Ring, and Frodo was meant to have it.
So what you really ask is why Eru (or Providence, or whatever...) chose them... Or do you mean why Tolkien, as their creator (and the creator of that world) described the Ringbearer's character such as they are?
I guess it had to be a hobbit, because hobbits do not desire power, as you said. But most ordinary hobbits were quite narrowminded and only concerned with their own affairs, so they wouldn't have been willing to go on a dangerous journey, let alone to sacrifice themselves to save the world. They probably wouldn't even have understood the importance of it all. So it had to be an extraordinary hobbit that had a wider view,a deeper understanding and an interest beyond the boundaries of the Shire. Is that what you call Frodo's "Elvish" qualities? Anyhow, it comes from his beeing taught by Bilbo and Gandalf, as well as his innate charactertraits.
But I think the "Elvishness" grew only in Frodo on the quest. (I'm thinking of Gandalf's remark at Frodo's bed in Rivendell, about the light shining in him, and Sam who sees that light as well)
Old 05-06-2004, 06:12 AM   #4
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
The like/love of Elves and Elvishness is because they're interested in things outside the mundane everyday, they're open-minded, and strive for the beauty that they know exists elsewhere. After all, they'd liked Evles way before they ever met them: it's a sign basically that they're "bigger" than the rest of their Shire, many of whom are small-minded...such as Sandyman the Elf-hater. Or even the Gaffer, who values "cabbages and potatoes" more ans think they'r ethe "proper" thing" for Hobbits to be interested in. So it's because they like Elves that they make good Ringbearers (after all, it was made by Sauron, so...) but the good souls/personalities/whatefer-you-want-to-say that are them mean they're going ot be attratced to Elvishness.

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 02:24 PM   #5
symestreem
Face in the Water

symestreem has just left Hobbiton.
What if it was just coincidence? Yes, Frodo was meant to have the ring, but was he meant to carry it Mt. Doom? Or was it just because he was there and had shown resistance up to that point? Would another hobbit have done as well, or would they have been overcome by the force of the Ring? Would they have put the Ring on, not knowing why, just having a primal urge to do it? How much of Frodo's resistance to the Ring was innate, and how much was because he knew what would happen if he did not resist? He understood the Ring and its evil, yet in the end he still fell to it. Would a different hobbit have been more resistant? If so, why did Frodo end up carrying the Ring? Was it coincidence?
symestreem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 02:40 PM   #6
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
I don't think it was coincidence by any means. It was that mysterious force at work in the world of Middle-earth, the same force that nudged Gollum into the fires. The force of Good, Providence, Eru, whatever you want to call it. It wasn't blind luck or mere chance that a hobbit of the Shire came into possession of the One Ring, escaped the Ringwraiths & made it to Rivendell, & not only chose to go to the heart of Mordor but was actually unanimously approved for the task by a council of the Free Peoples of Middle-earth.

Here is some more food for thought:
Might Gandalf have had a 'Divine Premonition' that hobbits would someday play a crucial role in the fate of M-E, thus leading him to become the only member of the Istari to have dealings with them? If so, why was this premonition denied to Saruman, Radaghast, Alatar and Pallando?
Son of Númenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 09:03 PM   #7
Dininziliel
Wight

Silmaril

Olorin_TLA comes closest to the mark that this thread aims for. This is not about how one comes by the Ring, or qualifications for bearing the Ring. This has all been discussed before. This is about three hobbits who bore the Ring to its final end (I'm considering that Bilbo started its journey), and who were granted their own journey to the Undying Lands. Being a tad slow about certain things, I happened to recently notice that these three hobbits differed from all their contemporary hobbits in their affinity for Elves. This includes their having some elvish qualities, e.g., love of & extemporaneous composing & performing of poetry incorporating elven lore. It seems logical to assume there must be something about the nature of Elves when mixed w/the nature of hobbits that results in "producing" right & proper Ring Bearers. It must be something about the mix of the two races because no other beings bore the Ring on its way to Doom and then were granted passage to Aman--just Bilbo, Frodo, and Sam.

Another way to look at it would be to wonder if an Elf could have hobbit qualities, and, if there had been an Elf w/hobbit qualities, if this Elf could have been a Ring Bearer, too. If something had happened to Bilbo, Frodo, and Sam, would the Council of Elrond be looking for other hobbits who exhibited elvish traits, or their Elven counterparts? I stretch the point to clarify the the focus of the question. Not a major question, but hopefully an amusing one.

And, did Tolkien intend to make our three hobbit heroes a bit elvish, or is that a coincidence?
Old 05-07-2004, 03:08 PM   #8
tar-ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

tar-ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dininziliel
And, did Tolkien intend to make our three hobbit heroes a bit elvish, or is that a coincidence?
Sure, I think so.

The other hobbits of the Fellowship are also rather special--their noble birth, their bravery, Merry's Bucklandish interest in life outside the Shire (he's the only one who had been previously to Bree, for instance), and Pippin's most unhobbitlike curiosity set them apart. And both Merry and Pippin develop affinities for people of other races, but in their cases they are races of Men, not Elves. They never touch the Ring and hardly even see it; Bilbo, Frodo, and Sam, on the other hand, are all Ring-Bearers. It seems at least plausible to me that Tolkien did this on purpose (though of course there's no way to be sure): all five major-character hobbits develop special relationships with other races, but only the three who feel the affinity for Elves (very early in the story Gildor names Frodo Elf-Friend) become Ring-Bearers and sail away to the Undying Lands.
tar-ancalime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 04:48 PM   #9
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe Hobbits and Elvish impersonators

I see what you are saying, Dininziliel, and I agree with you as far as Frodo is concerned. He certainly displays Elvish qualities, and this is commented upon by other characters, such as Goldberry and Gandalf. But I disagree with regard to Sam and Bilbo. Sam certainly shows a wonder for the Elves and a desire to see them, but I don't think that he necessarily shows any Elvish qualities. As I see it, it is his practical Hobbit nature that enables him to endure the Quest and he is far more at home in the Shire than Rivendell or Lothlorien. Even his love of good songs and stories is, I think, rooted in his Hobbit nature. As for Bilbo, it was his "Tookish" side which took him off on adventure, rather than any Elvishness in him. And I think that it is the scholar/writer in him that makes him feel so at home in Rivendell. And that, I think, was sparked off by his adventure, rather than by his contact with the Elves.

And I am not sure that an Elvish nature would necessarily help in bearing the Ring. As I have said elsewhere, I think that Elves would have been rather vulnerable to the seductive nature of the Ring. Elves had enough flaws to give the Ring something to work on. Admittedly, the classic examples are in the First Age (Feanor and his sons, Thingol, Eol, Maeglin etc), but the Elves of later Ages clearly recognised their own vulnerability. The bearers of the Three immediately removed and concealed them when they perceived Sauron's plans so as not to be enslaved by him, and neither Elrond nor Galadriel trusted themselves to carry out the Quest of the Ring. Indeed, Galadriel's successful attempt to resist it is portrayed as a trial for her. No, I think that Hobbits, with their humble outlook and sturdy natures, were much better suited than Elves to bearing the Ring.

Which leaves the question of why Tolkien does portray Frodo as having these Elvish qualities, which become more apparent as the Quest unfolds. And that's something that I will have to think further about.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:26 PM   #10
Dininziliel
Wight

Silmaril More Fertile Directions

Saucepan Man--points taken about Sam and Bilbo. I think it's still debatable, but is definitely more illuminated now!
SM:
Quote:
Elves had enough flaws to give the Ring something to work on.
This is a good point. Which is why I think the question that ended your post is a good one--

SM:
Quote:
Which leaves the question of why Tolkien does portray Frodo as having these Elvish qualities, which become more apparent as the Quest unfolds.
I wonder (wildly) if Tolkien was not trying to reconcile the Elves' "karmic" debt for their deeds in The Silmarillion?

Then there is this idea posted by tar-ancalime:
Quote:
all five major-character hobbits develop special relationships with other races,
This is in keeping w/what originally piqued my curiosity. It is also another thing I had never noticed--the hobbits as a combined group seem to serve as a moving reflection of and a reciprocal influence on all other free peoples they meet in ME, or something else that I can't quite put a finger on.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:58 AM   #11
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
I wonder (wildly) if Tolkien was not trying to reconcile the Elves' "karmic" debt for their deeds in The Silmarillion?
That is an interesting notion. I think another reason for Tolkien's portrayal of Frodo as having Elvish characteristics about him is that Tolkien, consciously or subconsciously, wished in this attribution to reconcile the world of the Silmarillion with that of the Hobbit. That is also why, I think, the Lord of the Rings starts off and lingers for a bit in the Shire, Bree, the Old Forest, etc. - Hobbitish places. As time winds on, the settings of the Lord of the Rings become less & less familiar-seeming to readers only acquainted with the Hobbit - Moria, Lothlórien, Minas Tirith, etc. - while the writing takes on a more 'heavy', dreary, mystical aura than it ever did in the Hobbit, beginning to somewhat resemble (in 'feeling', not so much in actual style) the prose of the Silm. An example of this that stuck out to me was this description of Aragorn:
Quote:
...And taking Frodo's hand in his, he left the hill of Cerin Amroth and came there never again as living man. (The Fellowship of the Ring, "Lothlórien")
This had a distinctly un-Hobbitish feel, for me at least, & more closely resembled lines in the Silmarillion like
Quote:
Yet in her choice the Two Kindreds have been joined; and she is the forerunner of many in whom the Eldar see yet, though all the world is changed, the likeness of Lúthien the beloved, whom they have lost (Silmarillion, "Of Beren and Lúthien"),
or
Quote:
But in after days it was sung that Tuor alone of mortal Men was numbered among the elder race, and was joined with the Noldor, whom he loved; and his fate is sundered from the fate of Men (Silmarillion, "Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin"),
than any hobbit-related prose thitherto written by Tolkien. There are several other examples of this 'bridging' between two very different works throughout the Lord of the Rings - Aragorn's singing a part of the Lay of Leithian, the increased majesty of Rivendell & Elrond compared to descriptions in the Hobbit, the Rangers of Ithilien praying in fear to the Valar, the depressing poignancy of the Grey Havens, & other more subtle changes. Perhaps Frodo is the embodiment of this literary transition for Tolkien: a hobbit of the Shire who at first displays very hobbit-like mannerisms & sensibilities & interacts with other hobbits in a normal fashion, but who grows into a wiser & more Elvish seeming being as the book progresses from the cheery, charming atmosphere of the Shire to a darker, more mystically 'enchanting' piece.

I don't mean to get into allegory/applicability too much here, but the hobbits do tend to represent the 'little' or 'insignificant' people of the world, in which case Frodo's (& Bilbo's & Sam's) affinity for the Elves could be seen as akin (not allegorical!) to the downtrodden, the forgotten peoples of the world rising up against their oppressors, drawing on the knowledge & ideals of Enlightened theologians & philosophers of old (the Elves) in leading a revolution against foreign &/or totalitarian domination (both in the destruction of the Ring & the scouring of the Shire). To speak in less allegorical terms, the hobbits' (particularly Frodo's) relationships with & subsequent derivation of knowledge/wisdom from the Elves could merely represent the values & virtues that Tolkien felt were needed for some of the 'little' folk to lead the way to victory.

Blech! that all sounded allegorical, & a bit too reminiscent of Marx's Manifesto for me to be comfortable with it - but I hope you understand at least partially what I am saying about the possible meaning of the three hobbits' affinity with the Elves, & the reconciliation of the realm of the Hobbit to the world of the Silmarillion.
"This miserable drizzling afternoon I have been reading up old military lecture-notes again:- and getting bored with them after an hour and a half. I have done some touches to my nonsense fairy language - to its improvement."

Last edited by Son of Númenor; 05-11-2004 at 08:14 AM.
Son of Númenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 09:52 AM   #12
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Good thoughts, Son of Númenor, and I'd like to add one more connection - Tolkien himself! He spoke of himself as being very hobbitish in his tastes, and he apparently was so in his normal daily life, and yet this tremendous imagination resided inside him, with languages, poetry, and story - in short, Faery. So he was himself a combination of Hobbit and Elf. I think that aspect of his own personality can be found in Frodo, though the hobbit is not an autobiographical character.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote