The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2002, 05:24 PM   #41
Aosama, the Wandering Star
Wight

Aosama, the Wandering Star has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmmm... I'd like a light sword, and a longbow. Of course, this in the fantastical world where I could actually *hold* any of these... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Aosama, the Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 06:20 AM   #42
Aldagrim Proudfoot
Shade of Carn Dûm

Aldagrim Proudfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
a slang-shot(is that what the're called? The thing that David used to kill the giant? I've heard that if you know how to use them, the're more accerate them a Bow & Arrow)
A slingshot is the cord between the wishbone shaped stick. David used a sling. The strip of leather and pouch for throwing the stone. And they are powerful.
Old 06-27-2002, 06:55 AM   #43
Tar-Haydon

Sting

A very pointy stick. Possibly painted red to make it look scarier.
Old 06-27-2002, 01:39 PM   #44
Aldagrim Proudfoot
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Welcome Tar-Haydon! Love your sig
Old 06-27-2002, 01:54 PM   #45
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

The Central Asian compound bow, or Hungarian/Mongol bow, is superior to the longbow in both distance, force and maneuverability. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img].

I love the Mongol culture and history, but I understand that those bows take two people to string because the arms are bent backwards to shoot, which is why it wouldn't be my weapon of choice.

[ June 27, 2002: Message edited by: The Silver-shod Muse ]
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 02:09 PM   #46
legolas991610

Sting

Weapons

When choosing a weapon you have to take into consideration you situation. Are you a solo traveller or part of a party [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]? What is your class (nobility/Peasant), what is your style? Below I have broken down weapons.

Daggers – Used by commonly as a secondary or tertiary weapon. Archers would often double team opponents on the battlefield with on distracting and one slitting the throat or attacking from behind. Used, as a pocketknife would be today. (e.g. Swiss Army Knife)

Short Swords – Used by early cavalry as a primary or secondary weapon alternating with a short spear. A backup weapon for almost every type of warrior and an effective weapon.

Long/ 2 Handed Swords – The nobility’s weapon. Expensive to make and were customized for the user. Could take down charging cavalry and batter down armour and shields

Stabbing Spear – This shot 5-7’ spear was used to stab an enemy from a distance. Could outreach a sword and was used my lower ranks. Also thrown.

Long Spear – Also includes pikes and lances. Used to discourage cavalry charges. A good example would be the Phalanxes pf ancient Greece. Too long to be used effectively by a solitary person.

Crossbow – And expensive version of the bow, that is more powerful but less range. The upper classes bow

Bows (all types) – Peasants weapon (of war, used by upper classes for hunting) medium to long ranges.

Axes – strong weapon, all classes. Well balanced to reduce tiring and very powerful

Clubs (all types, pointed and non pointed) – Used to Bash, no finesse here. All classes, Higher the class greater the cost and quality of the weapon.

When choosing a weapon you have to look at what it is that you are trying to do with it. Few of the races in Tolkien’s world cold have carried more than 2 of the larger weapons and the plausibility of their effectiveness decreases with more weapons. Most races would have trained their warriors in different weapons but not more than one or two. By doing that they produce better fighters. I would have chosen a Long Sword, a small wooden club and a dagger. I would have a medium shield I carry on my back(similar but not the same as Boromir)

I am tired or I would have written more on the weapons. If you want to discuss the merits of weapons with me, I would love to.

[ June 27, 2002: Message edited by: Flanagan ]
Old 06-29-2002, 12:40 AM   #47
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Very cool Flanagan! And welcome to the Downs! RIP. I would love to talk weapons with you, but I'm afraid that you'd leave me in the dust in no time due to my insufferable ignorance. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 04:48 AM   #48
Cimmerian
Shade of Carn Dûm

Cimmerian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cimmerian
A Barbarian longsword. Well crafted metal. 4'6 foot long, twin edged blade fitted firmly on to a swivelling neck and foot long handle. Around 90 - 100 pounds in weight. Strong enough to chop down a pine tree in one swipe.

A large battle axe too, strapped upon my back, weighing 140 pounds. 4 foot handle and a double bit, twin edged axe head. Foot and a half high and 3 feet wide.

Assortment of daggers and darts.

I would defintely travel alone but also do well with small groups. I scoff at all those class distinctions. When you live by the sword, all men are equal.

[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2002, 07:31 AM   #49
Shadow of Udûn
Animated Skeleton

Shadow of Udûn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Narsil's don't kill people, people kill people.
Old 07-02-2002, 08:06 AM   #50
Thinlaithion

Sting

Flanagan, I'd love to talk weapons with you any time, they are a subject that I find very interesting.

Well, as an elf, I would carry a longbow, possibly from Lothlorien. I would have a short sword at either side, a couple of daggers at assorted places, and a few throwing axes and knives. You can't be too prepared for war. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Also, in my shoe, I would have a blade (anyone see Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) which would come out when I needed it for up close combat.
Old 07-02-2002, 11:25 AM   #51
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I like spears. Good reach, good for blocking, and can be thrown. Then of course I'd need a back-up. (Although, if I was fighting a particularly mean guy, like a balrog, I wouldn't settle for anything less than a nuke)
Old 07-03-2002, 03:56 PM   #52
Aldagrim Proudfoot
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Flanagan, where did you get all that info? is there a site somewhere? btw, welcome to the Downs
Old 07-03-2002, 03:56 PM   #53
Aldagrim Proudfoot
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Flanagan, where did you get all that info? is there a site somewhere? btw, welcome to the Downs

I'm a Shade of Carn Dum, now!
Old 02-02-2004, 01:47 AM   #54
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

rutslegolas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to rutslegolas Send a message via Yahoo to rutslegolas
Sting

i think if i am travelling in a group :-
i would like a long bow,a short sword(backup weapon),and a spear

if i travel alone then bows are a nuisance so:-

i would have a doublehanded sword ,a axe on the back , and a shield(very important for lone warriors)
Old 02-02-2004, 01:57 PM   #55
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Ah, an old opinion topic has popped up that was lurking in the depths of the Books forum! I'm moving it to the Novices and Newcomers forum, where those are now placed.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:58 AM   #56
Yregwyn
Animated Skeleton

Yregwyn has just left Hobbiton.
Awesome idea for a topic!! I have a small collection of weapons, and i think one of the best feeling swords ive ever played with would be a "Spatha" its just a longer version of the Roman Gladius(the sword that conqured the world) they developed it for horseback. It eventually replaced the Gladius as standard weapon of the legions. (ya ya history lesson im sorry) A Gladius was around 22" and a Spatha 30". Either that or a longsword like Glamdring or Anduil. Or a Agnicourt sword, it was around 28" to 30" but with a very thin blade kind of in between a short sword and a broadsword. Or maybe a a sword like Hadafang. A khopesh would be a good sword also. Or a finely made scimitar, or curved broadsword. Its hard to chose LoL. As for armor (noone else really did armor but this thread is really cool so i am XD)A leather curiass by itsself or over a knee length chain shirt.(mithral of course) haha JK leather greaves and bracers id rather wear gloves then have to mess with a gauntlet. With a dark colored long overtunic under it all, to act as a gambelson, (and look cool also) A cross between Faramir in the LOTR movies and Legolas in the Hobbit. A halbert with a big pauldron instead of a shield/spear combo if there waas a pass to hold or something like that. But, if i had to really chose for a trip like the fellowship.......id have to say a longsword 1 1/2 sword some would call it.(In the fashion as Glamdring). A dagger, 20 arrow quiver and short bow. It would be pretty cool to have a long knife or short sword specially built into the quiver as a backup, kind of like Legolas or Kili , oh and a strap to hold the unstrung bow on the quiver also. With my cloak being custum made with slits in it, so my quiver would strap on but would not hinder me from pulling my cloak together if it was cold or stealth was needed. I read somewhere that the Ithilien Rangers did that with there cloaks for maximun concealment but easy access to there arrows. A large satchel with a shoulder strap i think instead of a backpack because of the quiver. This was fun again good idea!!
Fingolfin.....He passed over Dor-nu-fauglith like wind amid dust, and all that beheld his onslaught fled in amaze, thinking Orome himself was come: for a great madness of rage was upon him, so that his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar.

Last edited by Yregwyn; 07-05-2014 at 09:53 AM.
Yregwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:41 AM   #57
Yregwyn
Animated Skeleton

Yregwyn has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cimmerian View Post
A Barbarian longsword. Well crafted metal. 4'6 foot long, twin edged blade fitted firmly on to a swivelling neck and foot long handle. Around 90 - 100 pounds in weight. Strong enough to chop down a pine tree in one swipe.

A large battle axe too, strapped upon my back, weighing 140 pounds. 4 foot handle and a double bit, twin edged axe head. Foot and a half high and 3 feet wide.

Assortment of daggers and darts.

I would defintely travel alone but also do well with small groups. I scoff at all those class distinctions. When you live by the sword, all men are equal.

[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Wow how would you travel with all that stuff strapped on you? If you could go on a walk about with that gear and keep up, i sure would not want to be on your bad side. Where would you put your supplies? Hmmmm Haha im just giving you a hard time, still alot of weight to be lugging around.
Fingolfin.....He passed over Dor-nu-fauglith like wind amid dust, and all that beheld his onslaught fled in amaze, thinking Orome himself was come: for a great madness of rage was upon him, so that his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar.
Yregwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:14 AM   #58
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The humble (and oft-forgotten) spear may have killed more people in history than any other melee-weapon. It gives standoff distance, momentum, and interesting angles of attack.

For closer ranges, a ranger would find that a handaxe and a short sword/long knife would be a good combination for both survival and battle.

Add a bow, and you've some formidable potential.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:49 PM   #59
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Eye

I'll opt for a composite bow; Hungarian or Mongolian or somesuch. As long as I can do archery on horseback, I'm happy. In addition to being great fun, it's such a sneaky and safe way of attacking.

My melee choice is a battle axe - it's heavy enough to cause a lot of damage, and chaotic enough for me.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:10 PM   #60
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
My melee choice is a battle axe - it's heavy enough to cause a lot of damage, and chaotic enough for me.
I am not sure you could swing my ex-wife over your head, Agan; but if you could, I am certain she would make an absolutely terrifying melee weapon. The howling alone would be enough to frighten off an advancing foe.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:22 PM   #61
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I prefer the long-range tactic wherever possible, so just let me have a bow, a quiver of arrows, and a short sword for emergency use when the battle gets too close.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:45 PM   #62
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
I am not sure you could swing my ex-wife over your head, Agan; but if you could, I am certain she would make an absolutely terrifying melee weapon. The howling alone would be enough to frighten off an advancing foe.
Thanks for the tip! I'll be happy to make her acquaintance if I ever need a better weapon than I already have!
Old 07-10-2014, 11:07 AM   #63
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yregwyn View Post
Wow how would you travel with all that stuff strapped on you? If you could go on a walk about with that gear and keep up
Shades of GTA, where apparently Nico keeps 300 lbs of weapons and ammo (including a rocket launcher) in his pockets.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:53 PM   #64
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andsigil View Post
The humble (and oft-forgotten) spear may have killed more people in history than any other melee-weapon. It gives standoff distance, momentum, and interesting angles of attack.

For closer ranges, a ranger would find that a handaxe and a short sword/long knife would be a good combination for both survival and battle.

Add a bow, and you've some formidable potential.
Spears were used because they were cheap to make and assembled in ranks well. If you're fighting with a polearm at all, the most effective thing you can do would have several dozen of your closest friends similarly outfitted.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote